Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• Options
    ford4kenford4ken Member Posts: 7
    Finally received an e-mail yesterday that they started building it Mon. She says I should receive it in 4-6 weeks. (keeping fingers crossed.)
    For the deal I got it almost could be a ride!!
  • Options
    ford4stewford4stew Member Posts: 1
    Emale

I've had almost the same problem with my F150 Supercrew and it's CD Player heating the CDs. When ejected they are extermely hot to the touch. Every once and a while I have problems playing CDs and I am starting to think that it is related to the heat ... I have yet to have the unit generate the error message you state, but I have not played for extended periods of time - next long road trip I will.

Regards ...
  • Options
    hodgmohodgmo Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of ordering my new Super Crew (2001, XLT, 2WD). Has anyone been able to get the 17" wheels and tires as an add-on option? (Note; this would be for a 2 WD, and not the 'King Ranch' edition).
  • Options
    mbrimmbrim Member Posts: 7
    I've owned my screw for about 2 months now, 2250 miles. It's a Black 4x4 Lariat, extras include CD changer, bed liner, 5.4L, diff lock. I traded in a '98 GMC 4x4 Sierra 3 door with lots of options (40,000 miles). The reason for the purchase was to get more leg room in the back for the kids while keeping the "truck". At the time I purchased the GMC the back seat in it had more room then any other truck. For anyone looking to purchase a screw and are curious about comments from a former GMC owner read on. Of course this is not a comparison between screws and the new Sierra 99-01 but my own personal observations on vehicles I've owned.

Engine:

The screw has the 5.4L, my '98 GMC had the 5.7L. The 5.4 seems to do the job but at times sounds like it's struggling (gasping sounds). I really liked the 350 in the GMC, it seemed to have power when I needed it, sounded great and felt like it would last forever. I'd have to give the advantage here to GMC.

Interior:

The screw has leather seats while the GMC had cloth so of course I like the leather better but that's comparing apples to oranges. I think the layout of the dash goes to the screw. Of course the rear seating area goes to the screw, no contest. As does the door arrangement. Four doors that open "normal" are much better then a "hidden" 3rd door. The advantage goes to the screw.

Ride/handling:

The GMC rode nice, it seemed to compare to many cars. But the screw rides even better. It just seems to ride more comfortable and also seems to be more responsive on in changing lanes and corners. It is also a little quieter on the highway (even though I'd still like a little less wind noise). Advantage screw.

4x4:

The GMC had part time 4x4 which changed by a lever on the floor. I did use it off road and in the snow. I never got stuck and once even pulled a 150 out of mud (to be fair, I would have been stuck if I'd been in the same exact location). I have not used the screw off road yet but have used it in the snow. It operates by a switch on the dash. Very easy to use and does not make nearly as much noise as the GMC when in operation. However, I would have liked a all wheel drive option on top of the part time. Advantage screw.

Overall quality:

This is tough because I have not owned the screw for a long time. The GMC had no major problems. It did have a leak near the 3rd door that I found before the trade in. It also had a load squeaking noise from the spare tire that started when I lowered and raised the spare. Something just didn't go right "together" anymore and I could seem to fix it. The screw does have a problem that I'm going to take it in for, it sometimes makes a thumping sound that I can feel when I first start moving in it. Doesn't happen all the time and only after I've parked it for awhile (could be parking brake related). No advantage to either make.

Misc:

The brakes are much better on the screw. After 20K on the GMC I needed new front pads. The screw just seems to stop much better due to the 4 disk brakes. The screw is much taller and is longer then the GMC. I hit the wall in the garage the first time I put it in there. I do like the taller stance (who doesn't when driving a truck). Gas mileage was truck like for both vehicles, but I do seem to be stopping at the gas station more in the screw. Hopefully that changes after the engine breaks in. The auto lights on the screw are nice as are the adjustable floor pedals. Advantage screw.

Overall I like the screw better but that's not to say I didn't like the GMC. I loved it. In fact I would have bought another one if they'd have a full size cab with 4 doors. I'd like the screw even more if I could just put the 350 in it. Hopefully the 5.4 will get better as it breaks in.
  • Options
    jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    Good breakdown of both vehicles.

I went with the 2000 GMC Extended Cab Z71. So far no problems with the truck but I didn't even consider the Screw and now I wish I would have.

I think two weeks after purchase I found out I had a baby on the way and Screw would have been a better fit because we always cart the two dogs with us.

I looked at the SUV route but I really don't want to give up at least some bedspace. Oh well, maybe next time.
  • Options
    silvsilv Member Posts: 41
    This is a Ford topic, so of course you're going to get a pro-Ford bias. Same as if you posted this in a Chevy topic, you'd get a Chevy bias.

Mbrim's comparison, while well thought out, really isn't valid because the new Silverado's are nearly a totally different truck than the 98's. They may look similiar but thats where the similiarity stops. For example, the single third door isn't a valid complaint. All new Chevy extended cabs have 4 doors as do all Ford ext. cabs.

In regards to quality, I believe they are pretty close. Most of the posts you see about Chevy problems are due to the '99 and '00 models. While Chevy needs to do a better job of getting it right the first time, they've fixed all the major problems for the '01 model. The '01 model is definetly a good quality truck and Consumer Reports bears this out.

I compared the two and really couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the few more inches of rear seat space. I'm also fan of the Chevy powertrains. The Chevy 5.3l felt more powerfull and had much smoother shifts than the Ford 5.4l. I do have to admit that the Ford definetly has more modern styling.

Before my current Silverado, I drove a Ram and before that a Ford so I'm really unbiased when it comes to pickup shopping. My only advise is just to get out there and drive both trucks looking at whats important to you, and then decide on one or the other.
  • Options
    rwhite99rwhite99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a F-150 S-Crew Lariat 4x4 that is just over 6 months old. I haven't had much of a need to use the 4 wheel drive until recent snowstorms. I have had several occurrences where I flip the dial to 4 wheel drive and nothing happens at all. Typically when the 4 wheel drive has not worked, the temperature has been fairly cold (less than 30 degrees). I stop the truck, put it in park, even turn the truck off and back on to try to get the truck into 4 wheel drive, but nothing happens. Eventually it does go into 4 wheel drive, however, when I go to switch it back to 2 wheel drive, it won't. I took it into the dealer and they ran all their tests and said that everything checked out fine (temperature happened to be in the high 40's when I took it in). Any suggestions as to why this occurrs. It would be kind of nice to be able to use 4 wheel drive in the snow.
  • Options
    runner21runner21 Member Posts: 28
    When you turn your dial to 4x4 hi, you should see a delay of maybe 2 seconds. If the delay is more than 10-15 seconds then I would say there is something wrong. And I would not say that the temp has anything to do with the amount of time it takes the 4x4 to engage. I would go and pick up the sales person or the mechanic and have them drive it and see if it is acting up when they try to engage the 4x4.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    mbrim,

you mentioned a couple things about your s-crew that i've also noticed in mine. occasionally i notice a slight lurching/thumping when taking off from a complete stop. almost reminds me of a bad u-joint. is this what you are talking about?

also, you mentioned the gasping sounds. seems that the intake plumbing on the 5.4l produces these types of noises, especially when the engine is lugging at highway speeds. i've noticed the same noise on my truck. almost makes it sound like there is a leak somewhere in the air intake system.
  • Options
    mbrimmbrim Member Posts: 7
    to emale

The thumping sounds I was referring to may be different to what you have. Mine occur when I've started my screw after it has sat for a while (for at least 30 minutes or so). Then when I leave I hear (and feel) the noise. The vibrations/noise seems to come from the rear and may happen about five times before it stops. The funny thing is it has not happened since I posted the original message.
  • Options
    This morning when I came out of the house and tried to start my truck, nothing..... the lights came on the heater started and every other usual noise the truck makes, but no spark, no fire, not even an attempt to turn over. I am on the phone for road side assistance as I type.
  • Options
    airjerairjer Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a S-Crew for occasional towing of a 20-ft. Sea Ray boat. Does the S-Crew need to be broken in for this purpose? Does the manual recommend (or prohibit?!) towing until a certain number of miles have been put on the truck?
  • Options
    richgregorrichgregor Member Posts: 1
    Looking for anyone who has bought one or have seen one. I want to know if the counsel in the rear seating area folds out of the way and if the two bucket seats in the rear folds down.
  • Options
    scottdogscottdog Member Posts: 4
    HELP!! I am looking seriously at a F150 Supercrew but I am hearing scary things about Ford gas mileage in general. most people I talk to that have F150's say they are only getting 14-15 mpg even on the 4.6 liter engine!!!

If anyone has any experience that they can share I would certainly appreciate it.
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I have only a Supercab with a 4.6L (1999 custom XLT w/hard tonneau cover) and I get a steady 15 to 15.5 mpg in mixed driving (commuting with almost no stop-and-go traffic). Highway mileage (75 mph Texas Interstate) has never exceeded 18 mpg. An Odyssey minivan would get you 18/24 mpg city/highway.... ;-)
  • Options
    texas4x4texas4x4 Member Posts: 4
    I'm concidering purchasing a Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.4L. Can anyone tell me what kind of gas milage they are getting and are they happy with the truck.

Thanks,
    Texas4x4
  • Options
    I have a 5.4L Super Crew 4x4 Deep Wedge wood Blue/ silver 2 tone, moon roof, . And, I love it. Yea, gas mileage could be a little better, I am right around 12.5mi/gallon. Putting gas in it is really not a big to me, but then again I am not doing the driving that most people do in Texas. Also, I don't haul anything but my dog and boat to go duck hunting. I have been on a few long road trips and the ride is really pleasant for a 4x. Test drive one, and see what you think.
  • Options
    pghs68pghs68 Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered my screw (two weeks ago) and I've noticed numerous messages that folks have checked the VPOC to determine the build/delivery status of their vehicles. Can anyone tell me what VPOC stands for and how I can use it?
  • Options
    1964ford1964ford Member Posts: 2
    Living in Minnesota, I use my 4 wheel drive alot.At what speed are you trying to engage the 4 wheel drive? If you read the owner's manuel, you should engage the 4 wheel drive when it below 32 degrees only if you are going less than 45 miles/hour. I follow that rule and have never had a problem . If you try this and it still doesn't engage, I would take it in to the dealer the next time it below freezing and have someone in the service dept ride along with you.
  • Options
    texas4x4texas4x4 Member Posts: 4
    I APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION RUNNER21. I WAS EXPECTING AT LEAST 15.0, 12.5 IS PRETTY BAD.

THANKS,
    TEXAS4X4
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Test drove a 01 XLT yesterday. Very nice truck but I feel the seats left a little to be desired. The seats were very firm (good thing) and the seat backs seemed to be too straight for my liking (bad thing). My back lost contact with the seat about mid height of my back. The seats in my 99 Ram are extremely comfortable, and are sculpted so that my back stays in contact above my shoulder bladed. The only thing I don't like about the Ram seats is that they don't have an adjustable head restraint. The Ford did.

My question is this: Anybody Screw owners out there at 6'-5" own one of these trucks. Did your seats break in allowing the top of your back to settle in.
  • Options
    bcollisonbcollison Member Posts: 24
    How come the Supercrew has higher mileage ratings on the sticker compared to a SuperCab? The engines (5.4),axle (3.55),and 4X4 are all the same. Was just wondering, would rather have the Supercrew anyway.
  • Options
    maybe it's because of the shorter box? maybe catches less wind and causes less drag. just an idea... the s-crew is rated at 17 highway, what is the supercab rated at?
  • Options
    The 3 SuperCrew's I looked at were 5.4L, 3.55 axles, 4X4 and were rated at 15 city and 19 Highway. The Supercabs were 14 and 17 same configuation. The wind drag was all I could come up with.
  • Options
    hulagirlhulagirl Member Posts: 39
    My son is 6'6" and he stole my SCrew from while home on Christmas break. I have the Lariat version with leather captain's chairs - but he was very comfortable in it and I had to make sure he didn't ship it off with him when he left! I'm 6' and don't even need to put the seat all the way back as I do in every other vehicle I've ever driven...Been driving mine for about 5 months now and still loving every minute of it!
  • Options
    truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    15 and 19??? That seems extremely high...all the SuperCrews I've seen in the Denver area with 4x4 and the 5.4 are rated 13 city/17 hwy. 15/19 is highly optimistic...
  • Options
    smilinsmilin Member Posts: 11
    I'm 6'4" and 250lbs. I've got the Screw with Bench Seats and I've not had a "comfort" problem at all. Been driving this one since November..short and long trips...no problems. Matter of fact, it's much more comfortable than seats I had in a GMC Yukon..which is now history thanks to seating and braking. I've got 2WD and small V-8..mileage is just at 17 mpg but have been told it'll get better still.
  • Options
    bcollison,

you apparently are comparing a 2wd s-crew to a 4wd supercab. there aren't any 4x4 s-crews with the 5.4l v/8 and 3.55 rear end that are rated at 19 on the highway.
  • Options
    You are propably right. I will have to check again. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    mk39mk39 Member Posts: 18
    I need to be able to have more than 3 children under age 12 in my vehicle and need a truck. Local dealer doesn't have an answer, nor does Ford Cust. Assistance Center and neither seems willing to give me a reason why there is a switch on all other 150's except the SuperCrew. Does anyone know if it is possible to put a passenger-side airbag deactivation switch on the F150 SuperCrew? If so, I need some info on how to order it along with my truck.
  • Options
    pghs68pghs68 Member Posts: 5
    From what I've heard, trucks such as the supercrews that have full size back seats are not required to have passenger side deactivation switches. The safest place for children is the back seat, especially babies in car seats. The thinking is, children will be put in the back seat where it is safer and where there is no chance of someone "forgetting" to deactivate an airbag and possibly causing injury to a child (if a collision were to occur).
  • Options
    While I understand that children are safer in the back seat, what do I do with the fourth child??? And while the deactivation switch is not required in the SCrew - that's ok by me - why is it not an option??
  • Options
    maybe it's another dis-incentive to having large families; a sneakier form of population control? ;-)
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses - it does seem that it is that universal problem of the government trying to protect us from ourselves. I have checked with the DOT Auto Safety Hotline this morning and they are mailing a form - that when approved will give me the option of ordering a cutoff switch on the F150 SCrew (or so they say now). The person I talked to said that the need to transport four or more children is reason enough to be approved for the switch. If my own three children didn't have friends, this wouldn't be a problem at all!
  • Options
    the later bills for psycho-analysis would outweigh the cost savings now of having friendless children.... ;-)
  • Options
    kram007kram007 Member Posts: 1
    I've just ordered a 4WD F-150 5.4 Supercrew and would like to do a few things to improve the gas mileage (air filter, headers, exhaust, computer chip, etc) and enhance the appearance (very minor front end lift, larger wheels and tires). I don't want to do anything to void the warranty though. To what extent can modifications be done without causing warranty problems?
  • Options
    pookycpookyc Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to a message board, am looking to order a '01 SCREW in upstate NY, Capital District area. Any good dealers? Will only pay invoice, especially w/ the Blue Oval 1.25% incentive above hold back. Am thinking of a 4.6L,XLT, 4X4,tu-tone Highland grn/ silver,moon roof,bed extender, poss. sprayed in Rhino liner. Any comments??? 4.6L for a little better mileage, as most of my driving/commuting is hi-way.
  • Options
    purplebookspurplebooks Member Posts: 1
    My Ford parts dept found me a phone number and part number to order the switch. I'm going to try it tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.
    800-325-5621 xl32-14b268-aa
    -Cliff
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That will vary from dealership to dealership depending on their service manager. Under the Magnuson Moss Act, warranty cannot be denied due to installing aftermarket parts. However, if the dealership is able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure of a factory part, they do not have to honor the warranty. Needless to say, the aftermarket part that you install will not be covered under factory warranty, rather by the manufacturer of the aftermarket part.

I've seen so many different answers from various dealers. Best to check with whomever you will be buying from cause even if the dealer is wrong, you don't need to pull teeth everytime you require warranty work.

I've added a catback, headers, cold air intake, aftermarket plugs and wires, performance mass airflow sensor, larger tires, and hypertech programming. To this date, my service manager has not once brought up the subject of the engine, transmission, or anything else not being covered under factory warranty. Where he does draw the line is if I added a supercharger or turbocharger as they consider "forced induction" to place additional strain on the engine parts. Funny though, some dealers across the nation install SC's as a dealer option with the warranty being provided by the dealer and not GM, Ford, or Dodge.
  • Options
    connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    Made a deal thursday night,my 99 f250 super Lariat 4x4 and $10000 for a King Ranch.Not really what I had in mind when I started shopping but was the only vehicle out there with close to the configuration I wanted.The 99 is a great truck but I dont really need that much of a machine.This is for an everyday ride, and should be a bit easier to park. Also easier to gas up. Regular in north N.J. is still about $1.45. My only real regret is losing the rear bench seats to captains chairs.the folding bench makes for better storage on road trips. Anybody know if the buckets collapse and fold up at all? I am buying this sight unseen.Closest I've gotten to it is the dealers computer monitor.
  • Options
    rockymtn4x4rockymtn4x4 Member Posts: 16
    Just finished reading all the posts - all 496 of them - and am more convinced than ever that the screw is the truck for me. Have researched the others and this truck just has the most of what I want. Aside from a few bugs, I was glad to read that everyone was happy with their truck - once it arrived. I would like to receive my truck in the Aug/Sept timeframe (by then my finances should be in line) so will have to start working with a dealer to get the timing right. This brings me to my next point.......

mtnmike.....are you out there? If I remember correctly from previous posts, you found a dealer in the Denver area that got you your truck for invoice. I'm in the Springs area and plan to solicit all the dealers in the area.

I plan on getting the 5.4l 4x4 with the tow group and off road pkgs. I guess I'm still unclear as to whether the Gen.III captains chairs are better than the bench with regards to the armrests. Also, has anyone gotten the rear entertainment (video) system? Have two little ones that would enjoy it on long trips. Just want to know if it is worth the extra $$ or should I wait for an after market item such as a dvd system?

Thanks again to everyone for all the good info.
  • Options
    feddersfedders Member Posts: 1
    I've had my screw for two months now & enjoy it more than the day I picked it up. but I find the "in box" tie down anchors a problem when hauling bulky items, brush, yard waste, etc... are there any options for bed rail tie downs, ford or after market? how do they attach with no pockets/standards?
  • Options
    smith24smith24 Member Posts: 8
    I have a Screw with approx 19k. It uses 1/2 to 3/4qt of oil every 4,000 miles. I told the dealership about this and they said this wasn't out of the norm for a new truck to use this much oil. I have a 10 year old car that doesn't use this much oil. Has anyone else experience this problem?
  • Options
    rdor1rdor1 Member Posts: 3
    I am just about ready to order my 01 XLT super crew. However I have noticed at the approximately 10 dealerships I visited that there are two very different interiors. I am referring to the 60/40 split bent seats. Some of the interiors have seats with adjustable head rests front and rear. Others have headrests that are part of the seat back on the front seats and no head rests in the back seats. Even the fabric design was different. I am not revering to captain chairs. One dealer said it was a mistake. (real clever) Others said it depends on when it was built. The earlier ones had the more plain seats with the on adjustable seats. The have a more "Cheap" look. One salesperson said it varies. You take what you get. Other sales people had no ideas and didn't seem interested in finding out. Anyone notice this as they have been looking around. I was as a dealership that had two identical trucks, same color and window sticker price and options. Each had a different interior. The salesperson that seemed more interested in checking it out also had the lowest price. $25100 for an XLT 2WD, sliding rear window, limited-slip, and moonroof. How does that sound? Thanks
  • Options
    Rdor..
    The Screws with the adjustable head rests front and rear are the "ewer" 2001's. The "alder" models have adjustable head rests only in front and none in back. Also, you'll note that the 'newer" 2001's do have a spiffier interior cloth. Don't settle for the older..when you put folks in the back seat, they'll be grateful you've got the head rests.. keeps their heads off the rear window.
    There should not be a price difference. I ordered my Screw thinking I'd not get rear head rests and when it came in the dealer was as surprised as I was when we saw the rear head rests. Dealers did not get a notice about the changes.. which is typical for Ford.
    Good luck.. you're gonna love it when you get it!!
  • Options
    rdor1rdor1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info about the interiors. I just ordered it within the hour. I told the dealer that I would not accept one with the "cheaper" style interior. He did find one like I wanted in a locate, but it was a June production model and the "cheap" interior. That is why I am ordering one. Any idea how long they take currently> Your are right about the company not notifing dealers about changes. But at least when tow ares sitting there you would think they would make some attempt to know their product! Another thing I noticed is that when they first came out they were available in harves gold. Now that has been replaced by arizona beige. I guess it is because they came out during that 2000 model year. Weird, but harvest gold is still available in all Ford vehicle but the F-150!
  • Options
    mikezrubmikezrub Member Posts: 1
    Purplebooks (Cliff) - I'm interested to know what you find out about the airbag cutoff switch for the SCrew. I'm surprised that you received a p/n for one for the SCrew. I went through the whole process of getting authorization from the NHTSA & then took that to the only dealer in Colorado authorized to install the switches. They checked & no one makes the switch for the SCrew (due to the back seat and the newness of the vehicle). However, I don't know why they can't retrofit the standard F-150 cutoff switch.
  • Options
    connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    Picked mine up last night. 4x4,5.4,ls, moonroof,tow pkg,bed extend, charcoal blue. This baby is sweet.Coming from a 99 f250 super, this truck drives like a sedan.Just took a few minutes to figure out the Mroof functions. Didn't know it was two positions and the owners manual is vague to say the least.Dealer tells me to expect a leather care kit from Ford but after gettin stiffed for my Lariat blanket I dont know what to expect.Wonder if it was because I was an A plan buyer or did I just slip through the cracks.
  • Options
    Rdor1:
    When I ordered mine, the dealer stated six to eight weeks for delivery. I must have hit it right because I had mine exactly six weeks from the date of my dealer submitted order!! I did stay in touch with the salesman via e-mail and phone..not being a pest, just "checking in". He was able to give me "build dates" and " expected delivery" dates and then a "confirmed delivery date".
    Worked well for me and I wish you the same. I truly enjoy driving this vehicle more than any other I've ever owned.
  • Options
    fl4x4fl4x4 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if Ford is planning to bring out the '2002' super crew early this year?
    And if so, when?
    I'm under the impression that the super crew 2001 actually came out mid 2000 rather than late August early September 2000.. I'm evaluating purchasing a super crew, however, I'm not sure what impact will the fact that the super crew 2001 came out so early when it comes to re-sale value. I'm wondering if it would be best to wait for the 2002, taking into consideration when they will actually come out s. any special promotional financing going on now, availability, etc... (not to mention the fact that I already have the 'bug' to buy one.......)
    Any input about this topic is appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.