Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• mk39mk39 Member Posts: 18
    Can someone explain why the SCrew 4.6L 3.55 axle 4x4 with automatic trans has a towing capacity of 6100 lbs while the same configuration except manual trans can do only 2900 lbs? I would prefer the manual trans but need to pull a 3-horse trailer. F250 has same capacity for auto as manual trans on any configuration. I'm confused!
  • jbuck31jbuck31 Member Posts: 2
    New to this board. fl4x4, I'd be interested in the exact same info. If nobody here has any, I might try a local dealer or Ford directly. Let me know if you have any luck.

Also, can anybody give me any feedback on how useful the 5.5 ft bed is? A full foot shorter than the SB on the regular and xcabs. While I understand that it is the same width at the wheel wells, it also appears to be narrower at the tailgate.

Thanks. A lot of good info. here.
  • jbuck31jbuck31 Member Posts: 2
    I guess my question was how useful the 5.5 ft box is relative to the 6.5ft on the regular and xcabs. I really like the extra room in the crew cab. Never owned a pickup before but am likely to buy an xcab or Screw in the next month or so. I've had other truck owners tell me that even the 6.5ft short boxes on the xcabs can be small at times even for "residential" type use. So I'm just trying to get a feel for that relative to the Screws 5.5ft box.

My question to the dealer or to Ford was not on the box issue. Rather I was responding to another post regarding when the 2002's will be introduced. Since the '01 Screws were brought out very early in '00, the question was is Ford planning an early roll out of the '02 models? Seems like it might be a reasonable question for a dealer if nobody here knows. Still be interested in knowing if anyone has any info. on that though.

Thanks.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    the 02s will begin rolling out of the factory in late july or early august, just like all other 02s...as far as significant changes over the 01, i doubt it...
  • seldomseentooseldomseentoo Member Posts: 13
    Go to Autobytel.com, they can hook you up I/ a contact at a participating dealer. Absolutely no reason why you can get the Screw for dealer invoice especially if ordering. When we got our 1996 explorer loaded w/ all and moon roof, we paid only the fac.inv. The dealer still makes out on the hold back, usually around 3%. So for a $28,000 truck their still making $860 on the deal...

I'm also looking to order in late spring, XLT w/ moonroof. 1984 s-15 is getting tired and she owes me nothing. Trying to hit all dealers to see in person all colors/interiors before I commit. Love the Arizona Beige, but leaning to Dark Highland Green, after seeing the green in person, its nothing like the flier.
    Let's hope hey make the dash a little less plasticy. Suprised Edmunds didn't discuss that as a con. Outside of that, I'm still planning to have one by mid year...
  • alexrod1alexrod1 Member Posts: 7
    Between reading all of your posting and seeing a few Screws on the road (boy, they look good!), I finally made a deal and finalized the order. It was hard to decide since I love my 99 Cab Lariat, but with two kids, the extra room will help a lot. Can't wait...4x4 Lariat Red / r. Be./Two-tone. My only worry now... hoping that she's delivered before the April 2nd incentive ends.
    Thanks!
  • mdanna1mdanna1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I just ordered my Screw on Monday and I was wondering if anyone had used this truck to tow over 5500 lbs.? I ordered the 5.4l with a locking 3:55-1 gear set and the towing package. I sold my Chevy Ext. Cab for this truck and it did a pretty good job towing. I have never been a big Ford fan but the back seat of the Screw sold us. It has ALLOT more room than an Ext. Cab truck and the bed, with a hard cover, looks like it'll hold plenty of luggage.

If anyone has towed more that 5000 lbs. with a Screw let me know.

Any transmission problems? Over heating? How are the brakes? Any comments from the Ford Tech?
    Hey Alexrod1,

What incentives are in your area, in my zip code in NE, Ford.com and cars.com isn't showing any incentives.....how are you hooking up w/ them???
  • lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    He seldomseentoo, go to the ford web site incentive link and click on F-Series. They moved Super crew incentives there. 5.9% for 60 months if delivered by April 2nd. I have a King Ranch Edition on order. Hopefully it'll arrive by then! Good Luck
  • teemanteeman Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to order an XLT SuperCrew 4x2 in Arizona beige. Found a dealer who will sell at invoice. I do not expect to do any towing but am considering the 3.55 limited slip differential and the towing package. Is it worth the extra money, just in case I might tow?
    Thanks I found it, but isn't that for dealer stock only. You still get the incentives if ordered?
    You'd get the incentive as long as you took delivery by April 2nd whether you bought a stock truck or ordered one. For an ordered truck becomes dealer stock as soon as it gets delivered to them. Have you tried Portsmouth Ford? They must have 20 on the lot to choose from.
  • sbaumrrsbaumrr Member Posts: 1
    While doing research I have noticed that some web sites have different invoice prices. For example, Supercrew 4X4 XLT base invoice on carwizard.com is 26009 as opposed to Edmunds @ 26125 and Carpoint @ 26165. Which is correct? Does anyone know?
    As lullman1 stated, you can still take advantage of the incentives. Bear in mind that it takes 5-8 weeks for delivery. If the truck's delivered after April 2nd, then it's based on the whatever ford decides the new incentive, if any, will be. Just to let you know, when I ordered my '99 F150 2wd, it took exactly 5 weeks. Goodluck!

Hey teeman, I agree with rm13, LSlip is worth the money. for the extra $245, go for it. I made a mistake with my '99 F150 2wd, now I've regretted it the first time I got stuck in my own driveway. Now I'm not taking any chances, I ordered the Screw with 4wd AND LSlip! Can't wait!
  • newtotrucks1newtotrucks1 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying the supercrew here in the carolina's and planning to move to colorado. Any problems with the truck making the adjustment in altitude?
  • runner21runner21 Member Posts: 28
    I ordered my Crew last year on June 1, and I took delivery on Aug 15. That's just a little over 10 weeks. Maybe it took so long because of the new style and all, but be prepared to wait. Unless Ford has taken care of the long delivery period.
    After driving it though, the wait was well worth it.
    I have done nothing but research the heck out of this truck when I found out it was only about $2500-$2800 bucks more than the dakota quad cab when all said and done w/ options. That included the moonroof too!. Not to mention its even cheaper to insure. I finally took a 4.6 for a spin a few weeks ago, only one on the lot, and it definitely confirmed my option on the truck. Only thing I wasn't all that crazy about was the "plasticy" feel to the dash. I have been trying to hit every Ford dealer in the area just to see in person the int. and ext. colors. Trust me the dark highland green is nothing compared to Ford's brochure. It looks like a emerald green in the book more than anything. Make sure you ask the dealer for the color chart, which has all colors for all trucks on it. The colors definitely looked much different...

So as for the waiting...plan on waiting for as long as it takes. I been driving a 1984 S-15 ext cab for 10 years and I plan on doing the same, if not more, w/ the Screw!
  • miller45miller45 Member Posts: 2
    Since I think the Dark Highland Green is almost black, has anyone seen this color, which is lighter? I saw one today in the Atlanta area, on a Larriat. This is definately not in the Ford brochure. It had lots of other options, and way over priced at $38,000. The dealer is not the best in town, so I asked another dealer that I have been working with, which didn't seem to know anything about this color. Anybody else heard of this? It would look great with the Parchment interior. (I can't do grey, after living 5 years with it)
    I think when the 01's first came out they had that color but now I think it may no longer be avail.
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    Hi all, I have an '01 SC 5.4L, and on cold startup
    (first thing in the morning) the rpms shoot up to 2000rpm. Has anyone else seen this on their SC? A warm start does not do this, the warm start is about 14-1500 rpm. Any ideas? Part 2, Anyone put nerf (step) bars on the screw? I tried some Nasta nerf bars (www.nastainternational.com) and they were way too close to the body, the wife made me take them back and now we are going to try the Manik bars. We already have the Manik (www.manik.com) grill guard and it looks great! My question is which bars stick out the furthest from the truck, the wife needs a step that she can get more of her foot on without having to turn her foot so that its parallel to the bar. I caught a glimpse of a truck that had some bars called back country, and they looked like they stuck out far enough. reybeast Austin Tx. reybeast@cox-internet.com
  • jakehalliganjakehalligan Member Posts: 4
    HOWDY- Read everything in here after I had already ordered my truck:01 Screw 4x4 Lariat, 4.6L, Bright Red, Parchment leather, cab steps, moon roof, sliding rear, bed extender, heated bench seats. Ordered late Dec. received first week of Feb....... ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT !!!!!!! paid $29,600 w/500. rebate. Looking for info on bed liners- not crazy about drop-ins but spray-ins are just coming around the Boston area and I am uneasy about them (although I love the idea of having the bed of my truck continue to match the rest of it). I look forward to sharing my experience with all of you Screw-balls. jake
  • jab8jab8 Member Posts: 1
    I'm down to deciding between two new vehicles: My first choice is a 4x2 SuperCrew,(I can't justify the cost of 4x4). 2nd choice is a Grand Caravan. The decision point comes at safety. I live in Minnesota with ice and snow almost 5 months of the year. Question: Is a 4x2 S.Crew acceptable in slippery conditions, or is a front wheel drive Caravan significantly better for winter driving? Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    reybeast,

my s-crew with 5.4l when started cold goes up to about 1600 rpms and then within 5 or 10 seconds settles down to about 1k and then goes gradually lower as engine warms up.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    Two days after delivery of my King Ranch 4x4 I drove into an unplowed parking lot to check out the limited slip rear. In about 6" of slushy snow on a slight incline, the truck bogged down immediatly.With no additional weight in the bed I had to go into 4x4 to get it out.If I lived in Minn. I would never buy a 4x2.Of course, the goodyear RTS tires are not as aggressive as I would prefer.
    jab8, hope you consider this...I live in Ct. and 2 years ago I had the same dilemna. I had a 94 dodge caravan which I was ready to trade for a new truck or another van. I chose the '99 F150 2wd. Big Mistake! Even with the 400 lbs of sandbags on the bed, I always had a hard time driving in snow. Now I'm gonna pay for it dearly cause I've ordered a 4x4 F150 2 weeks ago. If the 4x4 will be too tight for your budget, I suggest the caravan. Never had any problems in snow with mine. But if you really like trucks, go for the 4x4 and save yourself the aggravation and possible accident. Goodluck!
    Grand caravan; $24,319. 4x2 Screw Lariat $24,719.
    Screw has Leather and a V-8. Want a 4x4 Screw?
    4x4 Screw XLT w/V-8 and Cloth seat like Grand Caravan has is only $1,400.00 more. Over 5 year loan it adds about $40.00 a month if financing the entire difference. No Fuzzy Math Here!!
  • cadteachercadteacher Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the process of buying a 2001 Crew (5.4, LSD, Class III, & Slider). I also considered the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. On paper the Dodge appears to have nearly identical leg room. Not so, I'm 6 feet tall and I moved the Ford seat forward 2-3 settings. On the Dodge I was all the way back.

I currently own a '93 Explorer XLT (4 door) and was looking for a pickup with equivalent interior space. I drove the Dakota first, and was reasonably impressed. I drove the Dakota a second time (after Driving the Crew) and I felt like I was in a go-kart. There's just no going back.

My wife insisted I check out insurance rates. My insurance is dirt cheap, and the Dakota was still $102 per year more. I found a dealer through Autoweb.com who was willing to sell me the truck at $250 over invoice (off the lot), $100 if I order. With the current rebate and interest incentive I'm praying he still has my truck in stock when I get my Explorer sold.

I also found a dealer willing to sell me the Dakota for $100 over invoice. With the $2000 rebate currently in force, it would cost $4000-5000 less than the Ford. The catch: To get the rebate I have to take delivery from stock. The second catch: I don't trust Dodge's automatic transmissions. I can order a manual and risk the rebate.

I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years. I am convinced the lifetime risks are lower with the Ford.
  • jsrawlsjrjsrawlsjr Member Posts: 3
    Want to arrive at a fair offering price for a 2001 ford f150 xlt 4wd super crew which will be ordered. Is it customary these days for the dealer to fill the fuel tank for no charge? Should a buyer reasonably expect to pay a $260 FDAF Assessment (advertising fee) and $100 over invoice for an ordered vehicle when dealer's hold back would be 100% profit? The first dealer that I have contacted is asking for the advertising fee, $100 over invoice, and $19 for 10 gal of gasoline.
    Thanks in advance for any comments.
    If I am not mistaken, $19 comes as a price that is on the sticker, and comes from the factory like that. But, when I picked my truck up from the dealer back in Aug. it did have a full tank and I don't remember ever discussing it with the dealer. I was happy none-the-less. I believe the advertising fee is from the manufacture and is none beg.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    The last two Ford trucks I purchased,a 99 superduty and an 01 screw ,came from the dealer with full tanks of gas.That $19(mine was $20.50) for "10 US gal gas factory" is what the vehicle gets upon rolling off the assembly line.In fact, the Ford cust svc questionaires I have received from the corporate level even ask if the dealer had given the "complimentary" tank of gas.The fact that the factory even charges for the 10 gals seems kind of petty to me considering that I am buying a $35000+ vehicle.Bean counters always win out.
  • rockymtn4x4rockymtn4x4 Member Posts: 16
    Bryan,
    Your story is very similar to mine. I too am 6' however I found the Dakota QC (with 6 way power seat) to be quite comfortable with still a little room to move back if needed. The Screw was less comfortable but I figure it was because it was a bench seat. But I did feel more at home in the Dakota. I didn't want this to happen because my heart was set on the Screw. I'd been eying the Screw for some time and was convinced it was the truck for me.

When I sarted getting serious I found a dealer that would order me a Screw for invoice. With the options I wanted, this came to a little over $30k. After tax, advertising, and destination was added it was closer to $33k. This is when I started to look at the Dakota (though reluctantly) becuase deep down I knew I just couldn't quite afford the Screw.

I quickly fell in love with this truck. The new 4.7l can flat out move. Much quicker than the 5.4 on the screw. And after re-evaluating my needs I realized I really didn't need the size and towing of the Screw and that the Dakota would do nicely. So just as I had read all the previous posts here (see post #497) I started to go through the posts on the Dakota Quad, 2000+. I too was very concerned with Dodge's reliability, and like you Bryan I plan on keeping this truck for 10+ years also.

So to finish my long winded story, I have ordered a Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 very nicely equiped.
    With the $2000 rebate and $500 Farm Bureau coupon (for being a member for at least 30 days, $40 cost) I will be paying just less than invoice, even with tax, advertising, destination and prep. So for me it became a question of $26k vs $33k.

The Dodge rebate is good whether you order or buy from the lot. Shop another dealer if they insist on the rebate for stock only. I committed to 2% over invoice ($500), should have worked harder on this. I ordered the Dakota on 2/21 and it is scheduled to be shipped on 3/5. Figure 2 weeks by rail and the whole time from order to arrival is about 4-5 weeks.

Anyway, I wish you the best on what ever truck you decide to get. Different strokes for different folks I quess. If I had the extra $$ I would have probably stuck with the Screw but it would have been a much tougher decision.

Rich
  • kjclowkjclow Member Posts: 29
    I have owned several 2x4 trucks and several front wheel drives. I used to live in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana, snow belt area. I lived on the middle of a hill. When there was fresh snow or ice, I could not get the truck, Ranger, up the street. I had to drive to the bottom of the hill and back up. Works well in a quite neighborhood, but not on a busy street. If 4x4 is not an option because of money, I would go with the front wheel drive.

There's always chains, but they can do a lot of damage if not put on right and checked often. They are also illegal in some states, like Indiana. That didn't stop me from buying them and using them, but I always stopped and took them off prior to getting out on the busy streets.
  • rdor1rdor1 Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in getting a super crew soon. I have noticed in seveal posting on several sites the mention of Gen I, Gen II, and Gen III models. I know that the interior has been changed/improved since they first came out. The change seemed to be around the Sept. and October 2000 production dates. What is the Gen III change? Or what does the Gens I, II, III refer to? Thanks!
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    I believe the gen 1,2,3 refers to the designation of model changes for the dodge dakota.
    I am not sure which years the designations refer to.
    I do know the current model dakota is gen 3.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    I found some info as to what the different gen's mean:

http://www.dakota-truck.net/dmla.html
  • fullsizefullsize Member Posts: 14
    SuperCrews, too, have three generations already, though small differences. Most now are what us Screw owners call the GenIII. What this means is a very different interior than GenI or II. Instead of the captain's chairs having skinny little armrests, for example, there's a beefier center console upon which to rest your arms. Little things like that. See f150online.com, and search under the dedicated SuperCrew thread, for more info.
  • fullsizefullsize Member Posts: 14
    I almost forgot. One of the biggest differences is that the Gen III's got rear seat head rests.
  • krisstarrkrisstarr Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I would suggest buying a 4 I 4 rather than a 4 I 2 truck for your area. I have to tell you that Chrysler has yet to fix the automatic transmissions for their cars and you will be buying a second and maybe a 3rd one if you buy a Caravan or Voyager. I took my Mom's 1994 Grand Caravan in at 86,000 to have the transmission replaced and was told by the Service Manager that he had never seen one of these transmissions make it 86,000 miles before that if this was the original transmission it was a new record. Well since we have the latest upgrades in this transmission it is OK except that it leaks fluid. By the way other parts on this vehicle continue to fail way before their time and we are still waiting for the parts to arrive for the safety recalls issued over a year ago. Buy anything except a Chrysler. Thank you Chris
    Can anyone tell me how I can get info on my ordered truck? (Build date, approx.delivery date, etc) I recall reading through some postings about people calling a VOPC and getting some dates.
    Thank You in advance guys and ladies.
  • pghs68pghs68 Member Posts: 5
    I had ordered my screw 1/12/01 and had also seen the comments reverencing VOPC. I spoke with my dealer about it and was told that VOPC is Vehicle Order Processing Center. He pulled up the information on his computer (which only he can do, I was told) and told me the build date was 2/12. I later called about 2/22 for a delivery date and he told me the week of 3/1. The truck actually arrived at the dealer 2/23. This was 6 weeks from the order date which I felt was pretty good. Picked it up Monday. Checked mileage with the first tank of gas (which dealer supplied) and got 14 mpg exactly (around town driving)with the 5.4/3.55 lad. So I'm hoping the sticker rate of 15 and 19 is going to be about right for this truck. As far as bed liners go, I'm going to try a carpeted bed liner that is attached with velcro and can be easily removed for cleaning/replacement. I'm told it's thick enough that you can't feel the channels in the bed of the truck and will be comfortable sitting on with the tailgate down.

The only problem I've had is the computer chip in my ignition key going out on me yesterday. When that happened, the truck (engine) turned over but would not fire. Frustrating. Had the key re-programmed and it's running fine now. Dealer stated that they had not seen that happen before with a 2001 screw. Just my luck, right? I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same problem, you'll know what to look for (at least one possibility, anyway). On the positive side, the dealer's service department was very responsive to my problem and had me back on the road in no time. Overall, the truck came in exactly as ordered and I'm real happy with it (although I've only had it 4 days). Better go, this is getting lengthy.
    Can any one offer comments on adding the off road pkg to the supercrew 4wd? It appears to me that for the $850 extra you only get a decal, skid plates, HD shocks (which I think already come with the Towing Pkg), and a "step up" from 16 to 17" tires and wheels. Am I missing something?
    If your getting a Lariat you'l get 17" tires standard. If you get the trailer tow package for $ 298 invoice you'l get heavy duty cooling, shocks, alternator, and battery. Add Skid plates @ $ 113 and you've got an even better Off Road Package than Ford has put together. Sorry no "4x4" Decals.
    Edmunds states that most auto invoices include a legitimate advertising fee. Should this fee apply to an ordered vehicle, which is never advertised? A dealer is offering me an ordered F-150 for $100 over invoice, but his invoice includes approx. $240 for advertising. I'm lacking in negotiating skills and would appreciate any advice. Thanks
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    The regional advertising fees are attached to every vehicle invoice. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is ordered or not. The fees are calculated on a regional basis (i.e. northwest, southeast), and are pro-rated based on the number of vehicles typically sold in the region. You can't get it off of the invoice, and the dealer has to pay it.
  • thatbytesthatbytes Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what leasing rates are right now? I live in the Philadelphia, PA region (actually Harrisburg). I despise leasing because I feel like I have no control over the numbers, but since I go through vehicles often it may be the way to go.

I am looking at a screw XLT with DC, 17" tires, step bars, bed extended, tow, sliding rear window, tutone paint, and limited slip. The invoice price on all of that is $28,164 and MSRP is $33,775. I know I can get one for $500 below invoice with the current rebate. I hope to put down another $1000 or so because they say not to put down a lot on your lease. I know what my monthly payment is for a buy but I would like to know the lease amount for 3/36 so I know whether or not they are working me over.

Does anyone know the residual or other numbers I need to calculate the lease amount. I would be looking at a red carpet lease.
  • jsr283jsr283 Member Posts: 7
    I read some info on internet several months ago regarding Blue Oval Dealers and their authority to give a discount on vehicles that they sell. I can't locate this information again. Can anyone help or give a brief explanation? Thanks
  • famlydocfamlydoc Member Posts: 7
    I'm too excited to sleep. I am waiting to pick up my Screw Saturday from the dealer. I got the 01 Screw Lariat, oxford white, two tone paint with Arizona beige, 5.4L, Trailer tow, limited slip, bed extended, moon roof, sliding window, Cd player. I used the X plan which was no hassle and a real pleasure. Having never owned a truck before I would like to thank everyone who posts on this site. Your input was invaluable. Without it I may have chosen an Screw configuration that I would not have been happy with( ie. without headrests). Thanks especially to Mtn Mike. I now understand torque thanks to him.
  • lht0524lht0524 Member Posts: 3
    famlydoc,
    I'm looking for the same exact truck as yours, and I also have the x-plan option through my employer. May I ask how much was the final cost for your truck? Looking forward for your feedback.
This discussion has been closed.