Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• wehttam1wehttam1 Member Posts: 3
    Guess what happened to me! I went to order my screw on Monday night (3/5) and everything went great. Since it was late (right before the dealer was closing) they weren't able to enter the order into the computer. So when they went to enter my order in on Tuesday, both the base price for the 4WD XLT and the 5.4 option had increased. How much you might be wondering? Well... The base price increased by $200.... but the 5.4 engine doubled from $800 to almost $1600 MSRP. I am getting it on the X-Plan so my cost wasn't quite as much, but still.....

I was a little leary at first, so I called some other dealers and had them price out my options for the truck with and w/o the 5.4. Sure enough, the numbers came back with a $1550 difference for the 5.4 option.

My dealer told me that the increase went into effect on Monday overnight. Talk about crappy timing! If I had ordered one day earlier, I would have $800 more in my pocket today.

Does anyone else have any information on this price increase? Why such a large increase on the engine? Are there improvements on the engine that warrant such an increase?
  • rnold76rnold76 Member Posts: 1
    The increase maybe due to a increase in horse power. They just bumped it up to 300 HP.
  • jsr283jsr283 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone explain what the X-Plan is? Can I read about it somewhere? Thanks
    The X-Plan is for employees of Ford suppliers. The A-Plan is for employees of Ford. The Z-Plan is for retired employees of Ford. There are also modifications to some of these plans, such as the Executive A-Plan. The Exec A-Plan is obviously for Ford Executives. Basically these plans allow the individual to purchase an automobile for a set price which is lower than invoice. Ford sets the price for each of them. There is no haggling. The X-Plan is 4% above the A/Z Plan, but still under invoice (by a few hundred dollars). These plans are available to employees and are also transferrable. Even though I do not work for a Ford Supplier, my brother does and he is allowed to use the X-Plan twice a year, either for himself or for a friend, relative, etc. Therefore, my brother is transferring one of his purchases to me. Pretty cool. So start hanging out by the local Ford plant and make some friends.
  • famlydocfamlydoc Member Posts: 7
    Sorry I took so long to reply. Using the X-plan I purchased the White Lariat described in #560 for about 200 dollars under invoice. I can't describe the X-plan any better than wehttam1 did in #566. I can tell you it made purchasing the vehicle a pleasure. The first dealer closest to my house would participate for Screws in stock but would not bother to dealer trade for me to find this model. The second closest dealer was more than glad to help. No bargaining, he showed me the A plan price and calculated 4% above. I also got the Ford financing for 3.9%/36 om. and 500 rebate. This saved me the trouble of having to visit every show room in West. PA. If a dealer tells you Screw is not part of X-plan or is not willing to get you exactly what you want, try somewhere else. I'm picking mine up 9:00 am.. tommorow and probably will not sleep tonight due to the anticipation. Will let you know how it goes.
  • jorgs1jorgs1 Member Posts: 1
    We did not see any negative information on the SuperCrew but I recently heard from a mechanic at a large corporation that services new Fords and some of the new trucks are having wiring problems. Any other info on that?
  • tnmgtnmg Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I test drove a 2001 supercrew 4x2 today and I loved it! We do a lot of long distance driving so I was wondering if any supercrew owners could tell me if they are comfortable for long distance driving. Does it rattle real bad? I would also like to know if the power seats are worth it. Thanks!!
    Picked up my F150 Screw today, shiny and new (5.4 Liter, oxford white with Arizona beige two tone, Lariat package, moon roof, bed extender, cab steps, sliding window, CD player, trailer tow, 3.55 limited slip. Awesome! God Bless America and Ford. Having driven a 4 cylinder import for the past eight years, I can say I am ecstatic about how this truck moves with the 5.4. No regrets about spending the extra cash for the two tone paint and Lariat equipment group. Turned heads all day. The leather seats are comfortable and glad I got the Headrests. Power seat is definitely worth it, given the generous space the driver has, smaller sized individuals will like being able to raise seat height. I can't wait to get out on the road again tommorow. My next task is to look for after market tonnau cover. Someone mentioned A.R.E. earlier in postings, will check it out. Anyone else know of a good product.
  • dull1dull1 Member Posts: 2
    Several postings discuss Srew option packages that do and do not include headrests.
    I have not been able to identify these "packages" in the literature or online sources.
    I am looking at a XLT- 2WD. Any information would be appreciated.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    dull1,

it appears that sometime in the late summer or early fall, ford changed the seat design in the s-crew. all s-crews made since that time have headrests. ones previous to that time (like mine) don't have headrests on the rear seats but do have a sort of extended seatback on the front seats to take the place of the headrest.
  • seldomseentooseldomseentoo Member Posts: 13
    hey wehttam1!

Are you sure you got your info right, everything I can see is that it is still +$800 for the 5.4 vs the 4.6 on the screw. If you go to Ford.com and price a "regular f150" then it is, +$1550 but thats if you go from a base v6 (4.2)to a 5.4. On the screws, base engine is a 4.6, so it looks like its still +$800 to go to the 5.4.
  • rdelehantyrdelehanty Member Posts: 5
    Looking for some help . . . I've just recently started shopping for a F150 -SCREW and quickly decided on the 4x2 Lariat. The only thing I'm still undecided on is the engine. I have no plans to tow anything but I don't want to buy the 4.6L, find out it's under powered and wish I had the 5.4L. Can anyone help me . . . Do I really need a 5.4L? What's the impact on gas mileage?

Thanks for your input.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not that I ever completely believe EPA estimated mileages, but they are a starting point! Some numbers I found digging around edmunds.com and ford.com

4.6L
    HP: 220
    Torque: 290 ftlb
    EPA Mileage Est (4x2): 15 city/21 highway

5.4L
    HP: 260
    Torque: 350 ftlb
    EPA Mileage Est (4x2): 15 city/19 highway

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News and Views Message Boards
    Seldomseentoo,

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but when I went in to order the truck, the dealer and I sat at the computer, configured the truck and came up with the $630/$800 price for the 5.4 option. That was on 3/5. Then, when the dealer entered that same build configuration into the ordering computer on 3/7(to place the order), the 5.4 option showed up as $1300/$1550 along with a $200 increase on the base price. They called and informed me of the price increase. I was pretty upset because I had put money down on the vehicle before the "price increase" and felt that I should not be penalized for their mistake of not actually ordering the vehicle at the time I put money down. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, it turns out that the original configuration was missing the Offroad Group option (which I had requested originally), so they had to re-enter my order. This time, the 5.4 option was back to the $630/$800 price, However the base price was still $200 more than the original price quote. I had a conversation with the GM and she is going to talk to the Ford Rep today about the $200.
    I think what happened is that when the $200 price increase for the base was entered into Ford's computers, somehow (through user entry error or some other system error) the 5.4 information for the f150 regular truck was applied to the SuperCrew. My truck was ordered while the error was still happening, then the error was identified and corrected, so when they re-entered my order, the information was correct. It happens. I'm just glad that I didn't accept the "price increase" when they informed me of it, otherwise I would be paying more for a truck that would be missing an option that I really want.
    anyone else here have an in dash cd player that occasionally quits working and says "cd too hot" on radio monitor? well i do, and apparently ford has a fix for this. local dealership has ordered me a new radio/cd player. apparently the newer ones have a built in fan to keep the unit cooler.

btw, anyone here ever notice a popping/crackling noise from underneith the vehicle while it is running? mine does this all the time but is only truly noticeable if i pull up along side a building with the engine running and my window open. local dealership gave me some bullcrap about truck being new...hummm!!
    imo, the gas mileage difference between the 4.6/5.4l is negligible, especially with the 4x4 version. however the power and torque difference is substantial! when you are shelling out 30k or more for a vehicle, why not go for the 800 bucks extra 5.4l? i'm certainly glad i did, and i haven't towed a damn thing, yet!

btw, anyone else seen the new "king ranch" edition s-crew? while at the dealership today i spied one in the showroom. not bad! the seats are leather and have a sort of old school look and colour to them. from what i could tell, even the back seats were individual buckets. there is a center console front and rear which is also covered in leather. two tone paint treatment is a tad different than the regular s-crew. only thing missing was a sunroof...
  • lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    I just took delivery 4 days ago of my KRE and I love it. So does my wife and kids and anyone else who has ridden in it. Ordered mine and it took 7-1/2 weeks to arrive. 500 miles on it and love it more every time I get in it. I did get the moonroof. Seats are awesome w/heat. Only vehicle that i've ever driven that I had to move the seat foward. So much legroom w/ the seat back and the pedals foward I barely touch them and I'm 6'-2"
    lullman1,

which exterior colour did you get? the one i saw at the dealership was green/arizona beige and was pretty sharp!
    It is petty sharp looking in my driveway. Estate Green /Arizona Beige.
    Anyone on this bulletin board aware of a controversy about the radiator size installed on Screws with the Trailer tow package. I was on the F150online.com Screw bulletin board and I noted several references that several owners were dismayed that they had only gotten a 1 inch radiator instead of a larger radiator in their tow package option. When I purchased my truck with that option I thought it included the class three hitch, wiring harness, auxiliary transmission cooler, larger size alternator and larger amp. battery. I was not aware of any difference in the radiator. If this is true that we were to have a larger radiator and did not get it I will be dissapointed. I would appreciate any feedback on this subject. I looked at my radiator and all I can see is a sticker with a number and bar code. Will this identify the radiator size?
    here is what is supposed to be in the trailer tow group (according to ford's web page). i'm not sure what the radiator upgrade actually means but i'd imagine it means a larger one...

Class III Trailer Tow Group $350.00
    - 7-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness
    - Class III Frame-Mounted Hitch Receiver
    - Heavy-Duty Electrical/Cooling Package
    - Heavy-Duty 72-Amp Hr Battery
    - Upgraded Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler (5.4L Engine)
    - Super Engine Cooling (Radiator Upgrade)
    - Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • seldomseentooseldomseentoo Member Posts: 13
    wehttam1
    Glad to see you got that all straighten out. I'm real close in ordering mine and when I saw that, I wasn't crazy about the additional cost for the 5.4. I don't plan on towing as others folks recently had indicated but still plan on the 5.4. At a couple MGP less than the 4.6 and at 12-15k miles a year 130-150 more for gas isn't all that bad....

Also what is it w/ ford radios?!!!, Our copmany has pretty much all fords, from rangers to 350's and all the radios heat up big time.....At least there finally addressing it.
  • dorfretawdorfretaw Member Posts: 5
    I have seen a post that the horse power rating on the 5.4L was upgraded to 300hp. can any one confirm that
    I ordered my Screw/lariat 2x4 on 2/22 on the X plan w/ 5.4L, LTHR CPT CHAIRS, 3.55 LIM SLIP,Sliding rear Win, Trailer tow PKG,. The total under the X plan was 25,972.00. I called the dealer on 3/5 to add the bed ext to the order. the truck had not been built yet so there should not be a problem. I stop in at the dealer on 3/9 to see if the truck had any kind of delivery date. Looking at the the new print out the sales rep said the price had gone up over and above the bed ext price of 166.00 by 200.00 he said it looked like when they added the bed ext they reordered the whole truck and the increase had shown up. The dealer Mng. said they would take care of the 200.00 after they take delivery on the unit.
  • bwexler1bwexler1 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone out there know if the 5 spoke cast aluminum wheels are an option or standard? My screw came with the chrome wheels and when Ford called for the follow up, they said the 5 spoke was an option. I've seen some stickers lately that list them at no charge.' What's up? I went through internet sales and got A plan through a Ford rebate so I wasn't too picky at the time.
    bwexler1,

according to the ford web site, the 16 incher cast aluminum wheels are indeed a no cost option. however, the 17 incher cast alums are extra cost and require the off-road group as well.
  • cadteachercadteacher Member Posts: 6
    Rich:
    Thanks for the story on your choice of the QC. You should probably have it by now.

I had actually priced the QC from a friend who owned a DODGE dealership. He only promised 2.5% over invoice. A dealer my employer works with had the $100 over invoice deal. My friend said, "If I ordered, I would be price protected on the rebate but not the finance rate". The other dealer disagreed. I got scared!

I sold my trusty Explorer for $4700 (about $200 more than I expected to get) and bought the Screw. I took delivery on March 3, and only have about 500 miles on it. The dealer sold me the truck with it "nearly full" and 113 miles on the odometer. I have yet to empty my first full tank of gas. I can only guess what my MPG was on that first tank (it appeared to be 12.75), I'll try to behave with this new toy and keep my right foot off the floor (hopefully I can get the low end of the EPA ratings).

I ended up paying $25,195 (off the lot) with 6.9% financing @ 60 months (through Ford). Original sticker was $28,480. No disappointments yet.
  • mmcapmmcap Member Posts: 1
    I am fortunate enought to be able to purchase a Screw through the X-plan. Having never done this before, I understand the pricing relative to the A-plan, but I want to know if the dealer is going to try any last second add-ons? I thought I read somewhere that the X-plan price is the final price (plus tax). Can anybody confirm this? Should I expect other charges to be included on top of the X-plan price.

Thanks.
    i looked every place i could think of, but didn't see anything relating to a bump in horsepower to 300hp for the 5.4l installed in the supercrew. keep in mind that ford does install a 300hp 5.4l "32v" v/8 in the upscale lincoln navigators; and also will put it into the lincoln supercrew knockoff (blackwood) later this year. it appears for now that the 32v 5.4l is not being offered in the supercrew, but i suppose that could change. i'm sure that engine would bring a hefty premium!
  • pghs68pghs68 Member Posts: 5
    I used the X Plan to purchase my Screw and thought I had the cost figured to the penny but...
    the dealer added "Consumer Services" at a cost of $395. I asked what it was for and was told (after a little prodding) that it was for the discount coupons ($2.00 off oil changes, etc) that came with the purchase of the truck. They told me that every vehicle they sold included this cost for consumer services. This may be just a local custom or it may be nationwide, I don't know. Although I told them I'd rather not have the coupons and keep the $395, I was told that wasn't possible. Other than that, all other costs associated with the purchase were as expected. It just left a little sour taste in my mouth. I mean, here I am paying 27M for a vehicle which I'm more than happy to do, and then I come away feeling like I've been taken for $395. Not a good way to do business. At least the dealer could have let me know up front. Before you buy, I'd ask your dealer if you will be paying for any "Consumer Services" or similar type program.
    I would check with another dealer may be in another county about the customer $395 service charge sounds like a bunch of bunk to me. If you read back on some of the past logins I think you will find no mention of this so called charge. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Man, you paid 27 Million for your truck. Wow!
    roman numeral M is for 1000 same as 27K
  • erherh Member Posts: 7
    I've noticed in most of the posts where engine size is mentioned the large majority favor and recommend the 5.4 over the 4.6. To those thinking of buying a -Crew and can't decide which engine to choose I'd like to offer little different opinon.
    I've owned my -Crew for nine months and am very pleased with the power and performance of the 4.6.
    In fact it was one of the things I made up my mind on very early in the truck buying process.
    When I first started shopping around (I didn't want to order because of the wait) for this truck almost a year ago I found that most of the dealers had in stock trucks with plenty of options that I didn't want-Lariats, two-tone paint, leather, captain's chairs, etc.. I finally found an XLS in the color I wanted with the 4.6 and only had to settle for one option I didn't want.
    So, my advice is hold out for what YOU want and not what the dealers have or what everyone else is getting.
    why not just order what you want instead of letting the dealer decide for you...
  • parman4parman4 Member Posts: 6
    Help...my company needs me to acquire a pick-up.
    5-1/2' bed is fine for hauling our equipment and towing capcity meets our needs on the S-Crew. Since it will be personal vehicle as well, need 4 doors for the kids.

QUESTION? Our normal area is Connecticut to Delaware, however we also go to upper New England about 1 - 2 times a month.

How critical is 4wd vs 2 wd on S-crew when driving in the winter weather i.e:
    A) Slushy / Icey highway
    B) Snow covered highway
    C) Deeper Snow say 4" -12"

I have a budget to work with and the approximate 4K adder for 4wd could be offset with alot of accessories and ammenities by going 2wd.

Any thoughts or recommendations, especially from those in heavy winter areas?

Need to know asap as I have to go out for bids.

Thanks
  • rtantonrtanton Member Posts: 10
    I have an uncle that is an engineer for Ford and has said that the X Plan is an option for me. What is it and what kind of savings am I looking at?

I'm interested in a 2001 Screw 2WD XLT.

And is anyone here putting child seats in the back seats of these trucks? How is the space? It has to be better than the king cab of my -95 T100!

RT
  • ralphg2ralphg2 Member Posts: 1
    I just signed the papers for my new S-Crew tonight! Had to order it though since the dealer has already sold what's coming in. The salesman is going to try and locate one for me so I can get the truck sooner.
    Does anyone know if I can expect to pay a fee if he does locate one at another dealership?
    I've also noticed posting here on the X-Plan, A-Plan, etc...what are those plans? I feel that I got a great deal at $380 over invoice. Has anyone done better?
    I also ordered my Truck, Screw King Ranch, Paid just under invoice by a couple bucks. No A,X or any other Ford plan. Find the right dealer.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    I paid $1500 less than dealer invoice for my King Ranch. Yes , the Aplan works.
  • cjl1816cjl1816 Member Posts: 2
    What are these x-plan and a-plan that have been referenced? thanks in advance
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    I believe the A plan is for Ford employees and their immediate family, Z plan is for Ford retirees, surviving spouses and family and the X plan is for Ford supplying vendors . know with the A-Z plan the participating members family is allowed up to 4 purchases per year and must keep the vehicle for at least 6 months. This eliminates profiteering from the plan. Ford also watches closely for signs of abuse.I know of one retiree who lost his plan priveleges for life for making deals with a crooked dealership.
  • alexrod1alexrod1 Member Posts: 7
    parman4, I live in Ct (by US sub base), and currently drive a 2wd Lariat '99 F150 Flareside. Big mistake! 4-5 inches of snow and I get stuck or slide all over the place. Even with 8-60lb bags on the bed. I'm trading it in for a 4wd with ltd. slip, 2001 Lariat SCrew, ordered last month. I'm losing a bit of money on the trade ($15,700 for my truck with 24,000 miles) but I just know that I'll feel a lot secure driving during severe weather.
    Good luck friend!
  • parman4parman4 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input folks...

Appreciate the insight and will plan accordingly.
  • bwexler1bwexler1 Member Posts: 6
    paid 1700 under invoice... located a dealership having a $5000 rebate off msrp on every screw and super cab in stock. usually dealers offer only 1-3trucks at that price but this dealer had every single f150 (except lariat) in stock on sale for 3 days! Lucked out...
  • redkonaredkona Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2001 F150 screw with a 5.4, captain chairs, skid plates, towing package, sliding rear window. I love this truck and I am very glad I got the 5.4. I want to protect the bed with some sort of liner. I have heard people say go with the spray on bed liners while others say the plastic bed liners from ford are ok. Does anyone have any advise on this? I do alot of hunting and fishing so things will get put in the back plus I live in NH so I could also carry alittle salt and sand in the winter.
  • gregntx2gregntx2 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my F150 Super Crew (4x4) Lariat with big engine about 6 months ago. I absolutely love it. Only bad thing about it is the gas mileage (13.5) Since I use it on the Texas gulf coast, I got the spray-in bed liner and had it "rust proofed". Last time I got excited about a vehicle was in 1964 when I brought a Mercedes back with me from Germany.
  • rtantonrtanton Member Posts: 10
    Someone please explain the limited slip axle for me. Does it increase traction on slipery ground? Kind of like Posi-traction on GM vehicles?

Man! From the sounds of some of the buyers here in Town Hall, there are some dang schrewd truck buyers out there in the world! Great going guys. Thinking about going to the dealer to look sof rmy future Screw gives me heartburn. Anyone know a good dealer int he Fayetteville/Raleigh, NC area?

Thanks guys...

RT
  • redkonaredkona Member Posts: 4
    gregntx2 Did you get the rust proofing from the dealership? Did you mean the truck was rust proofed or the bedliner was? I have limited slip in my truck and love it. I was able to get all of my options for free. My truck just alittle over invoice. The truck rides better then most cars I have been in. I has been the car car I have ever owned so far!!
This discussion has been closed.