Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zurich0371zurich0371 Member Posts: 1
    How much should i be paying for 2008 Acura TL type-S....i live in Austin, TX but willing to travel to Dallas or Houston if i get a good deal....
  • vbn526vbn526 Member Posts: 6
    This forum helped me a lot so it's time for me to give back. Its actually been a long road from getting quotes through the phone to asking for quotes online. My original intention was to purchase in the orange county area because it was much cheaper than where I live in San Diego. However, my quotes from dealers around the orange county dealers were all the same: $30,848 w/out ttl. So I decided to try my luck around San Diego in order to save a 1 and a half hour drive to orange county and headed to Kearny Mesa Acura. The salesman asked me to throw out some offers and I gave him my best quote which was 30,848. He said that it was unreasonably low and he didn't think that the dealers in orange county would honor that quote. I was forced to promise him that I would purchase the car on the spot if he could get that price after talking with the manager. I agreed. He went in, came back and told me the manager refused to sell the vehicle for that price. So much for the 'promise'. Then, he practically pushed me off the lot!!!! *argh* I went home and emailed Acura of Escondido. I told the internet sales manager about my unpleasant experience at Kearny Mesa Acura and gave him my best quote to see if he could match it and HE DID! So I came in this morning with my parents and got my 08 Acura TL w/ Nav for $30,848, which came out to be $33,595 OTD. However, Escondido did not have my exact color preference (white exterior w/ ebony interior) and I told them I saw one at Kearny Mesa Acura (owned by the same company). So ironically, I ended up with the car I had my eye on when I went to kearny mesa acura in the first place. (: I believe that this price is reasonable for the San Diego area, especially with only 4 acura dealers about 15 miles from the other (less competition). It's a great ride & I'm loving it! :shades:
  • johnfontanajohnfontana Member Posts: 6
    Man. Hate to write this msg. But did you miss post #9199 (although Torrance is anther 35 miles)? Hopefully you can still go back and negotiate with your dealership.
    Torrance is actually 2 hours from where I live in San Diego. I also tried contacting power acura, however, they simply did not reply. Therefore, I settled with the dealership closer to home & I actually paid off the car in whole so I'll leave it be. However, I did get a better deal than others who bought in the San Diego area ($35,000OTD is the current average)
  • bobbby786bobbby786 Member Posts: 7
    Well I just got my TL type S in New Jersey for 32,500 + ttl and everything came out to be 35,450 with wheel locks, trunk tray and all season floor mats.....guy was really good. I dnt know if the Dealer Cash is still going on....so if u get it around 32,500 you should be good...or may be u can get a better deal.....good luck
  • johnfontanajohnfontana Member Posts: 6
    That's good. Maybe they sold out. Enjoy. In my case, I think the MPG is lower than I expected. Only drove about 100 miles, 1/3 of tank is gone. Maybe the real number will show differently when I pump the gas later.
  • astro13astro13 Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone heard what the new incentives might be come July 1st? The 2.9% or $2,500 Acura to Dealer incentives end at the end of the month and I was wondering based on past history and being that this is the last year for the old syle TL do you think they will get more aggressive or do you think this is the best it will get? Your thoughts????
  • mbrownimbrowni Member Posts: 5
    Nobody, including dealership employees, knows about upcoming incentives before they are released by the factory. I have seen the upcoming TL in person and it much more aggressive than the outgoing model. It is a big departure from the Honda/Acura's conservative styling. Imagine a much edgier Infiniti G.
    Acura DOES NOT provide a yearly bonus for the dealers for each car sold. The only incentive that they provide to dealers for cars sold is dealer cash and that has essentially turned into customer cash. Let me know if you have questions.
  • scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    Hi mbrowni,

Maybe you work for Acura and you know the inside scoop - sure sounds like it. However, my salesperson told me that he had received $17K from Acura as a bonus at year-end for prior year sales. I don't really have any questions regarding this - I was just pointing out reasons that a dealership would sell for less than the known invoice minus incentives minus holdback. It did not play into my decision as I was looking for a certain price point. I wish you all well in your purchases.
    I do have the inside scoop. From time to time, Acura offers sales people "SPINS" to help sell slower selling vehicles. While those dollars can add up, it would be hard to imagine earning $17K from that at $100-$400 or so a pop and they don't do it very often. This goes directly to the salesperson from Acura and not through the dealership.
  • zach10zach10 Member Posts: 6
    Got this deal at MD. Any comments?
    I'm experiencing the same with my MPG so you're not alone. I was told that new cars get less mpg in the beginning, but hopefully the change will happen sooner rather than later. I hope you adjust to the car because I too noticed that the pedal is much stiffer than my moms 05 camry. However, I must admit that the advanced technology is great (although a bit confusing at first). Enjoy the car! :)
  • sproutkosproutko Member Posts: 2
    Curious as to which dealer in MD... I'm looking purchasing a 2008 TL w/navi in the next few weeks in the Baltimore area, but willing to travel to get a great price.
  • erniebenjieerniebenjie Member Posts: 1
    Hey, sounds like you got a good deal. How do you like it? I have an '06 TSX 6MT and love it. Just took in in for service and saw the TL type S. Looks like a sweet car. I've thought about upgrading, but the $39k sticker price is prohibitive. Does anyone know how much I should be paying in Chattanooga, TN? Thanks
    Gaithersburg Rosenthal Acura. I got a quote form a VA dealer. I stoped by Rosenthal Acura. They offered me $200 off than the VA OTD price in 10 min. I think about $3500 below invoice is a OK deal for a 08 Acura TL.
  • sproutkosproutko Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. One more Q - what financing did they offer you? I ask because I got a quote that reduced the price through "dealer incentives" but specifically excluded the 2.9% financing.
    0.9% and 2.9% are excluded if you count $2500 market support. I was offered 5.9% at first, I refused and told him I could get 4.94% from my costco membership. Then he serached something on his computer (credit history or better rate?), he offered me 4.34% for 60 months.
    Hope this helps you.
  • mark196mark196 Member Posts: 10
    I'm starting to get some prices on a new TL Type S, the dealer I went to yesterday is include $250 for SJ/Philadelphia area advertising and $595 for protection package - I don't really want the protection package, he said he has to include it per an agreement with their union that every car they sell will have this and I do not feel that a regional marketing effort is my problem - if they want to do additional advertising that should come out of their profit, there's no direct benefit to me for that.

My question is should I be paying these costs or are they negotiable? The car was priced about 1,000 higher than I had expected, basically because of this - I'm thinking of telling him remove the costs or I'm not interested but I'm not sure how common these are and if I can have them excluded.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • otisnjotisnj Member Posts: 15
    The charges are absolutely negotiable.

Use the internet to check other dealers in your area. Ask for their lowest out the door cost for the TL-S with the color / interior you want. Have the charges itemized so you know exactly what you are paying for.

It's your call if you want to go back to the dealer you were using and ask them to match the other offers. I would not.
  • tlshopper1tlshopper1 Member Posts: 2
    I was glad to stumble across this site. I'm not great at this car buying thing - in fact I hate it. But the best quote I got in STL for a Basic TL is 29,987 which seems high based on other posts. Does the internet price generally change much from the first offer? There are only two dealerships in STL but I'll drive to get a better deal...
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    While their "union" may require them to add the $595 pro pack, your "buyer's union" allows you to decline to pay it! Try a different dealer or two, see if they are members of the same "union."

When I bought my '05 TL in Boston area (at invoice), I wanted a base TL. No pro packs, vinyl roofs, pinstripes, spoilers, rust and dust, mop and glow, extended warranty. I had no problem buying such a car without any pressure to add such (to me) frivolities. However, YM, and region, MV... ;)

Good luck.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• sonycsonyc Member Posts: 9
    I am curious to see the accuracy of the prices paid that are reflected in the forum. I see statements such as I got a quote of $27500, $3500 below invoice is not a bad price etc.
    I live in NJ and I was politely shown the door at the 3 dealerships in my area when I asked for these prices.
    The lowest price I got was 28500 for the base TL(with splash guards, mats, locks) + dest + tax + doc fees.
    Either I am missing something, or some people here are very persuasive.

Your comments?

Regards,
    SC.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,545
    You'll have to link us to the claim of $27,500... There might be one?

If you are going to pick the very lowest price reported in the forum, then expect to get that, then you'll likely be disappointed... If everyone could get the lowest price, then every post would have that price.. That doesn't mean that price wasn't legitimate.. they may have left some important detail out (trade involved, demo, etc..).. or, it might have been their lucky day... Maybe a greenpea salesman who needed a sale and the manager was having a good month and threw him a bone..

Or.. maybe that poster didn't include destination or the $599 doc fee on their sale.. :surprise:

If the majority of the posts say $28,300-$28,700, then picking the outlier price is not going to result in a very good success ratio.. (not that you shouldn't try)..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• guido999guido999 Member Posts: 8
    I got an online quote for $28,500 which included wheel locks, trunk tray, and splash guards; destination charge; and doc fees. It didn't include TTL. Most, if not all, of the information here seems legitimate, but you have to compare apples to apples. For example, selling price can differ by location, time of the month, time of year, incentives. Finally, $27,500 means nothing without knowing the details; destination charges, doc fees and "protection packages" or other dealer add ons can easily add $1,500.

I never make a deal in person. I go to a showroom and figure out exactly what I want including colors and options and then leave. I figure car salesmen make their living negotiating prices, and that I'd have better odds over the internet. I can also cover more dealers with hardly any effort.

It's my understanding dealers have to pay a "fee" for every car on their lot at the end of the month. The guy I bought my car from told me he gave me a good price because it was the end of their month (actually the April 24th)

There can be a huge difference in prices among dealers in an area. There was a $3,000 difference between two dealers in the Atlanta area.

Hope this helps,
    Guido
  • jtsaint72jtsaint72 Member Posts: 9
    salesman lied - even "spins" or factory spiffs don't add up to 17k.
    I contacted about 10 dealers in my area and found that the cheapest they would quote over the internet was $29,200. This included destination charges, but not TTL. I can't see how anyone is getting a deal for $28,500. I figure invoice is $30,991 + destination = $31,706. Subtract the $2,500 dealer cash and you get $29,206. I also found that most of the dealers won't give you their best price over the net because they want to get you into the dealership so they can talk you into expensive add ons.
    I think the price is depends on the area you live, and the negotiation skill you have. I am in MD/DC/VA area and got $32683 OTD for a TL w/Navi last week from a MD dealer. The first round prices they quoted me were all about $2000 to $2500 below invoice. After couple days, they lowed offer their offer.
    There are a number of reasons why you wouldn't be able to duplicate the price others have gotten. Maybe there is short supply or high demand for TLs in S. Michigan / N. Ohio. Sometimes forums are counterproductive because they make you feel cheated when you can't match the lowest price.

IMHO, at $4.00 per gallon gas the demand for TLs is not going to pick up anytime soon. I'd expect a couple of months of demand when the 09 TLs are released and then demand will head back down. The way the economy and gas prices are looking, it's going to be a buyers market for anything with a 6 cylinder for at least the next year.
  • rpram1rpram1 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, indeed tlshopper1, I am in your area and these two are difficult to deal with. Did you end up getting anywhere with them on price (which one)? I thought about latching onto an 08 TL, but dealing with these two dealers is enough to make you walk away to a Lexus dealer. If you have any advice from your experience I might be willing to reconsider. They both have alot of cars on the lot from my observation.
    So is the dealer basically dipping into their holdback amount when they are selling a base TL for under $29,200 or under $31,200 w/Nav. or is there something else I am missing here? I agree with you that the gas prices should affect their sales and with the 09's arriving in the fall you would expect the 08's to be even lower in price. It will be interesting to see what they do come July and August.
  • scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    It is very nice of you two to CONFIRM for us who are 'not in the know", that Honda/Acura provides salesmen some type of extra incentive (SPINS, spiffs or whatever) which allows them to sell their vehicles below "cost".

Therefore, the best prices should be approximately:
    (Invoice, including dest.) - (Incentive to Dealer, currently $2500) - (Dealer Holdback, currently 2% of MSRP) - (SPINS, spiffs, etc., currently $100-300)

So the next time that a salesperson retorts that he/she cannot sell this car to you at that price because they will take a "loss", you know that they are feeding you a line of .... well, you know. :D
    That doesn't mean the dealership is making money on YOUR deal - a salesman doesn't get to decide whether or not a deal can go through or not, that's the sales manager's decision. A spif or spin is Acura's way of rewarding a salesman for his efforts. Don't forget, this is possibly his/her only commission on that deal. They're going to demonstrate the features for you, make sure the car get's washed up propper, hook up your Bluetooth, set up the Navi, be there when you have questions later on, ect. Considering the length of time, about 3-5 years, someone buys a car, 100-300 dollars a deal is fair. You're talking about a person's lively hood here. Think about the commission a Realtor makes! You tip your server in a resturaunt 15%-20% for good service. So if you're suggestiong negotiating spins and holdback, you should also consider tipping your sales person for a job well done, assuming he earned it... ;)
  • tlshopper1tlshopper1 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't decided anything yet. I'd like a new car and am pretty fond of the Acura (although I've never owned one) but there's quite a few other great brands I'd consider as well. I could be easily convinced to go with a convertible instead. As you mention both dealers do have quite a few cars on the lot...but I don't know if either is going to be willing to come down a few hundred more in order to close the deal...guess I'll keep shopping...
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I agree with your position. Although it is a buyer's market, particularly in light of skyrocketing gas prices, a dealership/salesman needs to make a reasonable (but small) profit to stay in business. If you insist in dipping into their hold back, who pays the rent, commission, utilities, insurance and other administrative costs associated with running a dealership? I am sure that everyone wants to pay the lowest price, but is there an end to this game when all we are talking about is only $100-200 difference when you are buying a 30k+ car? Remember when the 3G first came out, many paid MSRP. Times have changed ...

P,S, Time is also money. And the more time you spend on bargaining, the less return you are getting on your deal.
    I don't have a problem with not dipping into the dealer holdback, but when a dealer tells me that $29,200 + TTL is the best they can do and others are saying that they are getting the same car for $28,500 + TTL without dipping into the hold back there seems to be about a $700.00 difference here. I am just trying to find out why the big discrepancy. It appears as though they are including destination charges in this amount, so there must be more money for the dealers to work with than most would think.
  • sonycsonyc Member Posts: 9
    Incidentally, I ended up buying the car for 29,200 (including dest. + locks,mats,splash guards).
    NJ Sales Tax was 7% + $350 (4 yr DMV) + 350 Doc fees. The other fees were around $14, one was a tire fee, and one other fee that I don't recall.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    SC.
    Well the inside line from the SoCal market is that there are a couple BIG dealers and a lot of little fish in one pond. And in this "buyers market" the dealers are all fighting for their piece of the pie. One dealer tosses out a low-ball number because he doesn't have the color the customer wants, customer starts shopping that number, another dealer hasn't sold a car that day and it's 4:30 in the afternoon and the GM's getting miffed, next thing you know, customer settles for a different color, buys from a dealer other than the lowball because another dealer offered to do a little better on any car in stock, that dealer actually looses 1500 on this deal to just get the store open and then customer claims victory on forum... that's the LA Market in a nutshell. Every day is different and every deal is different. Bottom line, the TL is a great car and worth every penny you wind up spending for it. Once you buy, let the money go and give yourself permission to enjoy the car and not worry about "the deal"

There's my 2 cents. Hope that helps...
  • jonnhyujonnhyu Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know the decent/best dealership for acura in San Diego/Temecula area and prices you quoted for TL TypeS and Base w/ navigation.
    San Diego/Temecula areas all quote around the price range of $32,000 for TL w/ navi. I don't know about the acura TL typeS. However, I was lucky enough to throw an offer at Acura of Escondido (internet sales dept.) for $30,848 for the TL w/ navi & it came out to be $33,595 OTD.
  • bobbby786bobbby786 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys,
    I knw i am kinda late to post this but this is what I got my Type S at the end of last month.

Total Price of the Vehicle(including Destination) - $ 32,544.67
    Sales Tax (NJ 7%) - $ 2,278.13
    triVIN On Line Reg. Fees (Mandatory) - $ 7.70
    NJ Tire Fee (Mandatory) - $ 7.50
    Registration Fees (Fixed) - $ 354.00
    Doc. Fees - $ 258.00

Total - $ 35,450

I also got Locks, Floor Mats, and Trunk Mat.

I think I got a good deal, What you guys think?

Thanks.
  • muuppalmuuppal Member Posts: 34
    This is good deal. Is this Cash or 48 mos 0.9% finance price?

Thanks,

-uu
    If it's has 0.9% it's an unbelievably good deal :-)

Ya got to love end of month pricing...
  • cubs1908cubs1908 Member Posts: 2
    I could use all of your advice....quickly. I see a lot of "prices" here for a base TL in the $29k region. What is hard to decipher in some cases is whether or not that included the $2500 cash back.

I plan on financing a basic (non-navi) TL so I won't be eligible for the $2500 cash back. I have been quoted near $31.5k from three different acura dealers. Is this a comparable quote to the rest of you?

Likewise, the edmunds TMV lists $30.5k for my area but I don't know if that number considers the $2500 cash back.

Thanks in advance.
  • rtongrtong Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking around too and with the special financing the lowest quote I got back so far was $31k.
  • rtongrtong Member Posts: 4
    Now I'm curious, was this with the financing?
    I had the same question. If you look at TMV page there is a link "Pricing Worksheet" that says dealer incentives (the $2500) is already included in the TMV price. The site says the average selling price in your area is $30.5k and you can get 0.9% financing at that price.
  • mwaddo10mwaddo10 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2008 TL Base w/Nav, and I was wondering everyones opinion about the extended warranty.

My last car was a 2001 Accord (EX, Manual, 4cyl) and I bought the extended warranty since my previous ride was a Chrysler that needed a new tranny at 45K. Since after 135K miles on the Accord, I never needed the extended warranty, I'm inclined to decline.

However, the only thing that makes me reconsider is the amount of extra stuff this car has that my Accord did not (Nav, Bluetooth, etc). Should I reconsider? I'm pretty confident the powertrain will not let me down, but it's the other stuff I'm worried about.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Self-insure. Take the money you would have spent on the extended warranty and invest it for the four years of the mfg. warranty. If you need a repair post orig. warranty, you have your money plus earnings. If you never need a big fix, you still have your money plus earnings vs. the warranty company having your money plus earnings!

But, as always, if you can't sleep at night without the extended, buy it. But negotiatie the price, of course...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

From what I have found $29,000 should be with the $2,500 cash back. If that is the case, you probably won't get the special financing. Yes, you are correct that Edmunds says the TMV includes all incentives, but I was wondering myself it it includes the the $2,500 cash back. If it does, their price seems way too high.