Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Acura TSX

nead_a_carnead_a_car Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Acura
Looking at both these cars.

2004 Acura TSX is $26,900 (pretty firm)
2003 Accord V6 EX Sedan Leather Auto is $23,600

why should i not go with the TSX (besides the xtra 3,300 bucks) or why should i go with the honda

thanks

(i currently have a civic)

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Accord EXV6 would be better if you want a larger sedan with more power, touring suspension (softer than TSX's sport suspension) for less.

TSX would be better if you want something smaller (about the same size as 94-97 Accord), sportier and don't mind the extra dollars.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    it is easy enough to get a more "sporty" suspension on the Accord(probably about 400 installed for some eibachs or other spring co.) so you are still ahead by ~3000. You can buy a 5/60k warranty for probably 800 and now you have a Honda product with more power, sporty suspension, better warranty, and basically same options for 2000 less. =o)
  • mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    I own the 03 EX V6. Great car, even better value.

THe TSx, even though I have yet to see the car from a driving perspective, the exterior is very nice. I have to say its better looking then my accord. ( One plus is that you wont see as many TSx's as you will accords)

The interior of the TSX is more refined then that of the accord. The one piece dash , the awesome instrument cluster, top notch stuff.

If I had the extra money, I would definitely get the TSX, but then again you cant go wrong with either.

The only thing that really irks me is the fact the TSX doesnt have a power driver seat. Kinda odd?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But unfortunately the passenger doesn't have one
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Currently, the residuals on 2004 TSX are 64% of sticker vs. 58% on the 2003 Accord. So, you have to factor in about $1500 resale advantage if you sell in about 3 years.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• akal50akal50 Member Posts: 112
    A month ago I was deciding between the Accord EXV6 Sedan and the TSX Auto, both without Navi. To the Accord, I added the decklid spoiler and auto-dimming mirror and bargained down to $24,925. For the TSX, I added the wood trim and bargained down to $26,700. Both prices included destination and dealer fees. I went with the Accord despite the fact that I was getting a great deal on the TSX. I chose the Accord for the following reasons:

- Lower price
    - More engine power
    - More space
    - More comfortale ride
    - Power passenger seat
    - Uses regular unleaded fuel
    - Cheaper insurance
    - Won't feel like a kid's car when I'm driving it my late 30s.

There's no question that the TSX looks better and has a more refined interior than the Accord. And being assembled in Japan, the TSX is less likely to have rattles. The TSX also handles better. But several things turned me off. First, the price is just way too high. It's a great car that's loaded with features, but I expected a stronger engine. The car is heavy and once you add passengers, the engine struggles to get this car moving. Speaking of passengers, there's no power passenger seat and the back seat is cramped. Also, the ride is rather harsh which it's supposed to be in keeping with its sportier image. But for everyday driving, I'd hate it as I'm sure passengers would. Being an Acura, I also expected heated mirrors. Ultimately it came down to money. The Accord is a much better value. It feels like a luxo cruiser and really the only thing wrong with it is the way it looks, which is why I added the spoiler. That made a huge difference. With the TSX, not you do you have to pay more for the car, you also pay more for gas and insurance and you end with a small car that's underpowered and missing a couple features. And I'm sure the price will come down once the TL arrives. I personally would never pay more than a couple hundred over invoice. The dealer doesn't deserve that much profit.
  • cms5cms5 Member Posts: 6
    I drove both vehicles yesterday. I purchased an Accord ex v6 coupe. You cannot really compare these two automobiles. The Accord was much faster than the tsx and it also had a much better ride quality. The tsx handled better and had better brakes. I got my Accord for 300 below invoice. The acura dealer said they wouldn't vary much from sticker. I really enjoy the refinement of the new accord, but you aren't going to burn through the hairpins unless you go with the 6sp cpe.
  • wydriverwydriver Member Posts: 2
    I second everything aka150 posted. I just went through the same comparison...and ended up with the '03 v-6 sedan.

I would say that a more fair comparison (size and power wise) would be between the Acura TL and the Accord v6 sedan. I agree that the TSX is nice, but the little 4 is no match for the 6 cylinder in terms of performance. Yes the TSX handles better (stiffer), while the Accord is a bit quieter and much softer.

I guess it depends on what you want. Again I second aka150's comments. Choose the TSX if you want: Acura nameplate, Xenon headlights, manu-matic tranny, tighter handling, stiffer ride, smaller back seat, less power (4 vs. 6 cyl.), less common vehicle,

or the Accord if you want: better value, more powerful engine, softer ride, more rear seat space, cheaper fuel/insurance.

Some people just have to have the Acura because of its luxury name. For them price is not a problem and the TSX or TL is fine. If you want basically the same quality (less the xenons, "tiptronic" tranny, etc.) the Accord provides a much better value.
  • andrewdnaandrewdna Member Posts: 32
    was wondering what the price is. what did you play out the door?
    The total with tt&l in tx was $24,190 plus I got 2.9%apr. This car is much better than my 02 in almost every way.
    If that includes TTL then you got the deal of the century, are you sure that includes TTL?
    I Got it at actual dealer cost. TTl was only $850 due to my trade. I was pretty happy with the deal.
    Well you cant really say you got the car fora certain price by subtracting the trade in value. A better means of showing people how much you paid is by saying, I paid this much for the car , and I received this much off the purchase by trading in another vehicle.
    I got 18500 for my trade and I owed 18500 on my trade. In TX you get to subtract the value of your old vehicle off the price of the new one when you figure sales tax. I was just explaining why my ttl was so low.
  • amingaming Member Posts: 119
    Just to help you folks in deciding, here is what you could expect. Tested both cars (automatic) and got these times from a stop watch.

0-100 Km/h

Accord V6: 8.25 - 8.75 secs

TSX: 12.5 - 13 secs.

I did 3 trials for each.

Fuel:

Accord - regular

TSX - Premium (dealer told me)

Cheers...
    You are serious with the stop watch??

How accurate can that be ?

There is no way the TSX is that slow, 4 seconds slower then the accord, highly doubt it.
  • wgn4snowwgn4snow Member Posts: 17
    Perhaps the TSX time was 0-60 and back to a full stop..? :-)

I drove the TSX this weekend, and though I did not time it with a stopwatch, it must be faster than 12+ seconds. My current 1.6EL (Canadian Acura 4-door Civic Si) is about 11 seconds for 0-60, and the TSX feels much faster than that (and this was with 4 passengers aboard).

The "feel" of the V6 Accord (4-door) and the TSX are different. The Accord feels more effortless in straightline acceleration, whereas you can throw the TSX around more at speed without losing it. Mind you, the TSX will fly for you, but you are in the 5,000 rpm range, while I never got the Accord V6 over 4,000. The advantage to me for the TSX is that it is shorter. Narrow streets and a small garage are factors.

In Canada, the TSX does have heated mirrors.
    "You are serious with the stop watch??
    How accurate can that be ?
    There is no way the TSX is that slow, 4 seconds slower then the accord, highly doubt it."

It's the same way I time every car I drive. It's not accurate to say .1 or .2 secs and I don't claim that it is. In my opinion, at least for myself, it is within .5-.75 secs accurate. If you use the same procedure it isn't hard to do. This is the same method I used since my 87' accord and it has been very reasonable.

The TSX felt very decent in its acceleration but the times suprised me very much, just as it has you. It could have had some sort of defect or maybe they used regular fuel and it needs premium ...I don't know. I just thought that I would give my findings and let everyone decide on their own.
    I drove the cars (Accord & TSX) one after the other within 1hr. Conditions were the same.

Maybe the manual is better?????

cheers...
    Not sure about the times, but then again you never know. I can't really assume considering I never drove the car, I have only read reviews.

Can't deny that the TSX is a nice car though. I love the instrument cluster, so classy.
    Mike it definitely has a better interior AND Exterior then the Accord and for that reason I wanted to test drive it.

It fell short in a few critical areas for me and therefore it's off the shopping cart.

Areas it fell short (that I required):

- Less interior space especially the rear.
    - Power - I've been waiting for honda to increase the horses in the accord and finally they met my expectations.
    - regular fuel vs premium fuel.
    - more trunk space.
    - mileage (very close but I believe the accord is rated better). More power and better mileage ... can't beat that combo.
    - The seat is perfect for me in the accord and a little snug in the TSX. Long drives could be an issue for me.

cheers...
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Bank Residuals for leases have nothing to do with actual market values for resale. I can pretty much assure you that the TSX won't be worth 64% of sticker in 3 years. That's an inflated lease rate to get the payment low. Bad move if you understand leasing.

tim
    books don't buy cars...people do
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The superior styling and quality of material of the TSX along with the power and room and comfort of the Accord V6.......in the '04 TL.

I think I will line up for one with chequebook in hand. If Navi is also offered, I'll be laughing!
  • zhengyingzhengying Member Posts: 11
    anybody agree tsx's tail light way too much like 97 version Camry, that bothers me, I think Accord isn't that bad looking =)
    There is some resemblance, but overall it's fairly attractive. Actually, IMO, even better than the tail lights on the new TL.
  • fserve55fserve55 Member Posts: 17
    HELP ME...I know you all have been over this before in previous talks........but I need more than that....I'm still not sure what to do.

I'm 23, engaged, not looking for the most speed, just an upgrade from my pathetic 89 camry 4 banger.

I can afford about 30 or so, without saying why for any of the following, i simply stated want, luxury feel, good pick up, front wheel drive, very low maintaince 4 door sedan.

Honda/Acura seem to have what I'm looking for, I just can't make up my mind on which....the 03 Accord Sedan, V6 EX w or w/o Navi...the 04 TL or TSX...of even a used 01, 02 TL or the new 03 TL before the new one comes out.....

Such dilemmas.......ideas appreciated immensly. I obviously can't make up my own mind, so someone help me make it for me! haha
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    If you don't care primarily about acceleration, you should be comparing the Accura to a 4cyl EX-L and save yourself another $2k. Or get the navi instead of the V6. The 4 cyl Accord has good acceleration (not great) but will certainly be a step up from an '89 Camry.

Don't forget to factor in the higher fuel costs for premium gas, plus the 4 cyl Accord will get much better mileage than the Accura. Figure $200 extra/yr for gas for 15k miles/year.
    The only reason I'd get a 4 banger is because that's all that's offered in the TSX. I would like a V6 but, I'm leaning toward the TSX.

I'm kind of comparing apples and oranges I know, but I don't want a V4 accord, if I do, I'll just get the TSX.

Pricing wise, from original MSRP. The fully loaded top of the line EX Accord w/Navi is very comparable to the TSX w/Navi.

I guess I should be comparing the EX Accord w/Navi to the TL w/Navi....haha...but that would make too much sense!
  • ken972ken972 Member Posts: 162
    "I can afford about 30 or so, without saying why for any of the following, i simply stated want, luxury feel, good pick up, front wheel drive, very low maintaince 4 door sedan"

You just described a EX V6 Honda Accord!
    I know you are rite Ken, BUT, since I'm used to an 89 camry, I also described the TSX AND the NEW and/even OLD TL.

Again, when I say 30 or so, I guess I really mean 25 to 35.

So it's a toss up. I'm more on the side of the Accord and the TSX...not so much the TL...if the TL it would have to be the new one I think....the old (03) and before are (as someone else told me) on an old platform and isn't such a good car anymore.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    You want something to replace your Camry. Why not a new Camry or, since your price range is so wide, a new (or pre-owned) Lexus?

Do you have a different perception of the reliability and luxury of a Toyota/Lexus vs. Honda/Acura? Was your Camry unreliable?

Just curious why you're not staying "brand-loyal"...
    Well 10k is a big swing in price. I was comfy with something around 26 or so. Could afford more..but didnt want to spend it all on a car. That gets me a loaded accord etc..or a used entry level luxury car. If you are willing to go to 35k..that opens you up to about any new entry level luxury car. Maybe narrow down how much you want spend and it may help you out. Honestly though..that accord exv6 sure feels like a luxury car to me.
    I just came from a 99 4cyl camry myself. I consider myself a Toyota/Honda person. They are really the only 2 makes I would buy...well of course a Lexus/Acura to. I had my search narrowed down to a Tsx, Camry or Accord. I moved to the Accord because I was ready for a different feel to a car..the Tsx was a little to bumpy for me coming from a camry. In my book Toyota and Honda are made equally well. It came down to wanting a little firmer bed..sort of speak..as opposed to a cushy bed. By the way..I will never go back to a 4cyl car after experiencing the v6 in this accord.
    10 K is a big swing, but when I narrow it to a couple K, I end up saying well for another....and well for a little less.....etc....etc....

I think the Accord should be it for me, but that TSX is rite there making fun of me !! haha

BTW, I love Toyota/Lexus, but the new Toyotas have never looked as nice to me as the Hondas and for some reason I just have never liked the design of the Lexus as much as the Acura.....just a personal thing. You are rite though, Toy/Honda/Accura/Lexus...that's all there is in my book.

The new Accord isn't the greatest looking, but it beats the heck out of the new Camry I think.
    Ya know. When you think about it cars are alot like girls. Take that accord. Shes not the greatest looking car in the world. But as a complete package..shes a keeper. Shes ok looking..but its what inside that counts. I read all about the accord when it was being redesigned. I liked everything I heard about it..loved the interior. But was pissed..I thought they dropped the ball on the exterior styling. I didnt like it at all. Now..like that girl you dont quite notice...i really like it. I had a terrible time deciding what car to buy. Once I figured out that there is something wrong with every car i started to narrow it down a bit.
    YOU ARE FUNNY DUDE...you are rite tooo. great way to put it!
    The '04 Camry SE will be available with a 225 hp V6. That makes it competitive with Accord/Altima power-wise. The exterior styling wouldn't be any worse than the Accord 4-dr. Interior don't look so great but the quality of the material is good. The 4-speed auto sucks, but you can get TRAC and skid control whereas the Accord only has traction control. I'm not saying it's my cup of tea but it may be worth your consideration.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    fserve55... Have you considered the Lexus IS300? Based on the Toyota Altezza. Powerful (215 HP), smooth 3.0L inline 6-cylinder engine. Automatic or manual transmission. There is even a SportCross version. Good used one will be under $30,000. New '03 can be had for around $30,000. A very fun-to-drive car that also looks a bit different, both inside and out (in a most positive way), from the rest of the Toyota/Lexus line ups. It seems to meet all of your criteria except it is RWD. But if winter is an issue, just buy a decent set of snow tires. I live in snowy midwest. No problem getting around in my RWDers. (I love my new '03 IS300. Blast to drive that looks great.)

You wrote, "I'm 23, engaged, not looking for the most speed, just an upgrade from my pathetic 89 Camry 4 banger. I can afford about $30 or so...I want, luxury feel, good pick up, front wheel drive, very low maintaince 4 door sedan... I love Toyota/Lexus, but the new Toyotas have never looked as nice to me as the Hondas and for some reason I just have never liked the design of the Lexus as much as the Acura.....just a personal thing. Toy/Honda/Accura/Lexus...that's all there is in my book."
  • fjm1fjm1 Member Posts: 137
    The IS300 looks cool. I was looking at some before I got the Accord. The combination of a tiny back seat/trunk, weak acceleration, and a crappy dealership experience kept me out of the Lexus.

Pretty much sums it up for the TSX too.
    fjm... Weak acceleration? Don't think that applies to IS300. Not the quickest but above average. An absolute blast to drive. Brings a smile to your face.

Crappy dealership experience? Lexus near the top of the pile. My recent experiences have been outstanding.

Trunk and back seat more than adequate for our family of four (which includes two pre-teens). [Do wish the trunk used the space-saving multi-link hinges rather than the space-intruding gooseneck hinges.]

Check out Consumer Reports' historical dependability and future reliability ratings for IS300. Outstanding.

IS300 has also received good crash test results from IIHS and NHTSA.
    The IS300 is a nice car. Needs a bit of a facelift, especially the racer boy lights in the back. The powertrain is a beauty, especially the linear 6, cool looking gauges on the inside, very sporty interior trim, the only downside is the back seat is a bit small, but not that small, and the overall image the car is a bit young. I see too many young kids driving these cars, couldnt really picture myself owning one. Lexus service, from what I hear is TOP NOTCH.

It would be a tough decision to buy the IS300 over the TSX.
    I drove the IS300 w/automatic and it just didn't seen to pull. The stick was better and handled well.

The Lexus salesguy acted like he was doing us a favor in selling me a car. I even switched salesguys and the other one decided to argue with me about trade in values and act like they were doing me favors in taking my junker (2000 BMW 323). Again, very condescending.

Got similar 'tude at Acura dealership.

I know this is not the norm but it's where I have to shop so.....

It was a relief to go into the Honda dealership. Pleasant and professional. When my wife and I stepped out of the Accord at the end of the test drive we both though "Why would we spend 5-10K more?"

The Accord is just that good. It will definitely outrun either the IS300 or TSX at the dragstrip. A decent set of tires and the Accord will show it's tail to the IS300 and TSX in the mountains too.
    fjm1... You wrote, "The Lexus salesguy acted like he was doing us a favor in selling me a car. I even switched salesguys and the other one decided to argue with me about trade in values and act like they were doing me favors in taking my junker (2000 BMW 323)."

My wife traded in her '00 323ia for her '03 IS300a. But our salespeople went out of their way to be polite and friendly. We didn't work out a deal the first night. I always make a last best final offer (which happens to be my first offer). They didn't take it. But they were nice about it. They tried later that week, as they moved closer to my offer. Couple weeks later they called me out of blue to say they'd take my offer. I wrote the dealership a nice letter thanking my two salespeople. Outstanding buying experience. Beautiful dealership.

Doesn't bother me that they won't take my offer initially. They usually try to low ball you on your trade. They normally make more money on used cars than new cars. I never buy in a hurry. I can wait. In buying about 20 cars in past 15 years, think a dealer has accepted my offer on the first day just once. Once a dealer waited 3 months before accepting my offer.
    While the Accord V6 definitely pulls much better than the TSX in a straight line, I doubt that even with higher performance shoes, the Accord will do as well in the mountain twisties against a TSX.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is not really the subject of this discussion ...

If we need a new comparo, anyone is free to fire one up.

:)
    Riez: Your experience sounds like what I was expecting from Acura and Lexus versus a little rougher experience at the local Honda shop.

When I walked on to the lot at the Acura dealership I asked for a test ride. The salesguy responded "Sure, but we are not discounting the TSX" Jeez, I know I didn't show up in a Rolls wearing Armani and a Rolex but talk about turn off. Drove it. Liked it.

I think the moral is if a salesperson professionally represents his or her company they get a sale. I would have been happy in either a TSX or IS300. They were actually furthur up on the A list. I had not really considered an Accord but a few negative experiences narrowed my choices. I'm very, very glad that that happened and ended up at the BIG H.
    fjm1... Back in 11/01 I did take a test drive of the '02 Acura 3.2TL Type S. My experience was also very pleasant. Nice salesperson and attractive dealership. Had no trouble getting assistance. Low pressure. Liked the car (though I'm not a fan of FWD), but my wife wanted something a bit different so we didn't get it. (I thought it was a bit too Honda-ish. Nicely disguised Accord.)

Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti dealerships tend to score very highly in customer satisfaction surveys. For whatever reason, Toyota dealers tend to score very poorly.

Think salespeople are sometimes frustrated by educated buyers (like those who frequent here) and by buyers who are trying to take advantage of soft economy and low interest rates. Makes their life miserable.

Reason I did NOT look at TSX during my recent purchase decision is that Acura was/is not aggressively incentivizing sales. TSX is new and getting good reviews. Just check out the latest issue of Automobile magazine. Plus Acura isn't trying to sell a zillion of them. Dealers trying to stick close to MSRP (which seems reasonably priced given the standard equipment) and there weren't any publicized financing incentives. (I wanted to lock in low interest rates for 5 years.)

Thought it interesting that in latest issue of Consumer Reports they mention the TSX vs Accord dilemma. They prefer the Accord V6 as a slightly better overall buy. (I would tend to agree, at least for Accord V6 coupe with manual transmission.)
    If you want a good experience, go straight to the internet/fleet manager. Don't even waste time with a regular sales guy.

When you stop at the dealer for a demo ride, if you're approached, just say "May I speak with the internet or fleet manager?" Heck, the fact that you're posting on Edmunds (and have probably done a fair amount of internet research) suggests that you're not the typical buyer who can be easily swayed by a smooth-talking salesman.
    kewl video footage, sounds great for honda...but no footage on the tsx? whats up w/that?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Should be posted next week...hopefully!
This discussion has been closed.