Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Acura TSX

Comments

• zeeteazeetea Member Posts: 5
    Hi graduate,

Yes, you are correct about the pinlight, I just think the blue light in the TSX is fun/cool while the white light in the Accord is functional but not fun per se. Also, I have to admit that I test drove the Accord only during the day and the TSX during the day and night, so I really don't know what the interior instrument lighting is like in the Accord during the night. Maybe it's not as important as it seemed to me.

You'll love your Accord for a long time! I drove a 2000 Accord SE for six years and only had one problem, a faulty transmission at 24K miles (a recall item which Honda promptly replaced w/a new transmission w/a 100K warranty). For all the creature comforts you get at the price you pay I think the Accord is a fantastic deal. Also, the fact that I had driven an Accord for 6 years definitely was at play when I chose the TSX over the Accord.

Here's another thing: Tonight I took my TSX to the dealer so they could install my metallic trimmed steering wheel; the dealer gave me a loaner car to drive (another brand new TSX) while they work on my car. The loaner TSX doesn't have the Navi and I tell you the Navi makes all the difference in the world!!! If I had to choose between a TSX w/o Navi or the Accord w/Navi, I would definitely choose the Accord w/Navi. Maybe the novelty of the Navi will wear off in time but right now that to me is the best thing going.

Enjoy your Accord! Remember there's strength in numbers! :)
  • jgoldmanjgoldman Member Posts: 4
    Great summary Zeeta! I went theough the very same process as you did, but I went the other way, Accord EX V6 with Navi. Perhaps the price difference has narrorwed since I bought my car in Dec 2005 (Boston area)

The price difference for me was $3,000 instead of your experience of $1,500. $3,000 in my pocket and the better power of the V6 tipped the scale for me to the accord.

Agree totally, that the Navi system is worth the money!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    The NAV thrill wears off when you pay $185 to upgrade it each year :(
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "The NAV thrill wears off when you pay $185 to upgrade it each year."

I suspect most people won't need an annual upgrade. The roads don't change much and who cares if the Pizza Hut isn't there any more?
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The Hondata ECU reflash is an aftermarket, not factory, upgrade. Speaking from experience, it does provide a nice gain in performance. As stated previously, it is only available for the '06 MT (and '04-05 TSX's in either transmission), but Hondata says they are working towards the '06 AT.

Keep in mind the numbers quoted above reflect Hondata's testing on a K24 fitted with a CAI and headers. Still, as a stand-alone mod, the reflash is money well spent.

And, as I stated above the TSX has plenty of power to get on and off the freeway, equipped with either tranny.

Do you honestly wonder if a 200hp car can safely merge on the freeway? :confuse:
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    There is only one little problem...you have to reflash the auto back to the factory approved settings before any engine work will be authorized...yje new reflash voids the warranty. This is standard procedure for all auto companies.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    again my concern is "Will it have the pick up when I need it to"

Yes, I have no doubt it will have the pickup you NEED it too, but it might not have the pickup you WANT it too.

Keep in mind, the bestselling cars in America have 39-47 less horsepower than the TSX (Camry and Accord 4-cylinders).

Shoot, I drive a 1996 Accord with 130 horsepower (75 less than the TSX) and I rarely have to push it over 3,500 RPM to merge uphill. My 2006 has 166 hp and is fast enough to put me over the speed limit at every on-ramp I encounter.
    "There is only one little problem...you have to reflash the auto back to the factory approved settings before any engine work will be authorized...yje new reflash voids the warranty. This is standard procedure for all auto companies."

This is ridiculous. I'm not sure where you get your information from, but about the only way an Acura dealership would know you had your ECU reflashed would be if you told them. Why would you do that?

AFAIK, the only time modifications void the warranty is if the dealership can prove that a particular mod caused whatever problem the car is in for.

Hondata has a long history of supporting Honda products and they have an excellent reputation. It's unlikely the reflash would cause any problems. Basically it just puts the car in the state of tune it probably should have come from the factory with in the first place.

I've had zero problems with mine, and most people who've had it done report satisfaction. It makes the car that much more entertaining to drive. :P
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I didn't know you did the reflash. What other mods have you done?
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I rarely need all 240 horses in my Accord. I sometimes need it when there's a stubborn driver that won't allow me in.

However, when I have a lot of passengers, I do need it!

I admit I just love flooring the car, occasionally :blush:
    I love feeling all 240 horses roaring to life! :P
    Fedlaw, I did the reflash around Christmas (love it) and just yesterday JTso installed the A-Spec suspension for me (he's a terrific, reasonably priced mechanic). The suspension is actually pretty modest compared to the Tein Flex setup that Johnny runs. It rides almost identically to stock, but cornering is definitely flatter and there's less dive under braking. The spring rates are 10% stiffer than stock per Acura. It's perfect for someone like me.

When Uncle Sam comes up with my tax check, I'm probably going to have Johnny install a CAI and headers to complement the Hondata. He let me drive his car and I can definitely live with the sound. BTW, given that the spring rates for the Flex rig are about 2.75 times stiffer than OEM TSX, the ride is remarkably compliant. Still, it's a bit stiff for me. I like to take the occasional long trip and not feel like I went 10 rounds with Joe Frazier. ;)

After that, it'll be new rubber, then I'll pretty much be set. All this to offset the creeping BMW bug. Like you, I need at least a little more of a visceral driving experience. There will be a Bimmer in my future, but until then I'll just live vicariously through your classic M3... :D
    The Accord V6 is most definitely one of the best. Smooth as silk. :shades:
    Johnny420,

I agree my 6-speed 240 Hp 2005 Accord Coupe is one of the best. I also didn't realize how long the shift was and how it wasn't quite as smooth as my 2.2 liter Honda I had been driving this weekend.

The 2.2L 237 Hp engine is the one they really should have put in the TSX ;)

Honda Great Cars (Double Sixes) :shades: ,

MidCow
    MidCow
    The 2.2L 237 Hp engine is the one they really should have put in the TSX

Maybe for a TSX A-spec, or "Type-S model? They'd probably need to tune it for at least 160 lb-ft of torque, given the weight of the car. Maybe 225 hp and 160 lb-ft, redline to 7600-8000 ish?

Sounds like a screamer!
    Just wait. '08 is looking more and more like the TSX will get a major engine upgrade, a la RDX turbo 4. :P
    Sounds likely to me, but it won't overtake the TL with 258 hp. Maybe the TL gets a bump to 265 or so, and the TSX gets 230-240?

I like that spread.
    Doesn't catch it up to the TL, but, for my money, I'd rather have a sharp handling TSX with ~240-250hp and equivalent torque than a TL any day. Just my preference. I think that car would be phenomenal.

Yes, I'd guess the TL will get a similar bump and also SH-AWD. TSX probably, too. I think the FWD platform may be getting close to being maxed out with regard to HP.
    It's not the HP that has it topped out, but the torque. The TSX has to keep power low enough to make torque steer COMPLETELY non existent, or it's reign as handling king will end, and all we will have is another fast $30,000 car instead of a decently quick, deceptively fun canyon carver that so many love!
    Trust me, I love my TSX just as is, but it is not completely devoid of torque steer. You still feel the dreaded wiggle under the right circumstances. Obviously, it's not near as bad as other cars, and most of the time you never notice it.

deceptively fun canyon carver that so many love!

This statement I completely agree with. It is a blast to drive!

The next couple of years should be exciting regarding new models. :D
    I really can't wait to see what happens!!

You still feel the dreaded wiggle under the right circumstances. Obviously, it's not near as bad as other cars, and most of the time you never notice it.

I should have thought more about my statement...even my 96 Accord has a little left tug when gunning it from a start (it has skinny 185width 15" tires though, probably more to blame than the 139 lb-ft of torque.)
    LOL! Yeah, you actually have to have torque to have torque steer! ;) The TSX suffers from the same malady. Still mucho fun to drive!
    Midcow, I was re-reading your post and it struck me that, if you are driving a 2.2L 237hp car, it must be an S2000. Checked your profile and sure enough!

So an S2000 and a 6 speed V6 Accord coupe. No boring drives in your garage! :D

I'm almost afraid to drive an S2000. I might like it too much. :P
    I'm almost afraid to drive an S2000. I might like it too much.

I am too! I'm 6'4"-6'5" ish, so I'd only be able to drive one with the top down! Too bad it rains a fair bit here. Guess I'll stick to my sunroof!
    Thegraduate,

You might try it with the top up there is more room than the specs indicate; with the top up it has the same or more headroom than the Accord But at 6'4"-6'5" you are a tall dude.

Johnny420,

Yes you are right 6-speed S2000 and 6-speed Accord Coupe.

Both Johnny420 and the Graduate,

I enjoy reading your posts and Honda passions ;) Keep'em up!

Cruis'n: Drove to work with the top down today :P ,

MidCow
    I've honestly never sat in an S2000 with top up. The problem I have is the entry/exit of the car. When I'm in it, there is actually enough room for my gangly legs. Folding them up to get out from under the steering wheel is a different story, though. Last time I sat in one I was wearing a coat. I actually had to CRAWL out on my hands in the showroom. Too bad I look like a fool getting out of one, because I absolutely love the purity of automobile that goes into that car!

Cruisin in 5th :confuse: with the sunroof open today :shades:

thegrad
    The first time I got in a S2000 it was clumsy and akward. As well as several successive times. However, now I slide in an out with ease but I am a couple inches shorter than you.

Hey a manual shift Accord with the sunroof open aint bad either ;)

Hondas are great. That goes for the Acura TSX also.

Double sixes,

MidCow
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    My inseam is 38" of that. I have no hope in driving the S2000. Or would definately have one.
  • jen12jen12 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I thought I would resurrect this old discussion. I LOVE both of these cars with my preference being the TSX. For those of you that own the TSX, how roomy is the backseat? How comfortable is it for both adults and for those of you with babies as far as getting the carseat taken care of? Is it that much smaller than the Accord?
    Thank you so much for your help :P
    It's not bad, but not nearly as roomy as the Accord. I compared the size of the interior to my 1996 Accord (still a compact, but a large one). If there are 4 adults medium sized (say everyone in the car at 5'9"), then you'd be ok. I cant say about the carseat, b/c i can't remember how big the back door is! (my boss has a 2004 TSX)
  • stanwelksstanwelks Member Posts: 35
    does anyone know if the navigation in the TSX is the same as the Accord?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I'm almost positive it is.
    They're the same.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    The Honda Accord is a bigger car and will get you more bang for the buck in the EX trim. The TSX is the european accord which is a smaller car... so in the end the choice is yours. A bigger, competent car or a smaller, faster, harder car...
    As someone who owns a 06 TSX AND an 04 EX-L both manual tranny models...The extra money for the TSX is well spent. The one piece dash, perforated leather, upgraded instruments, firmer suspension, and H.O engine make a decently tangible difference.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    ...or a smaller, faster, harder car...

i suggest you don't try to race a TSX against an Accord V6. you'll lose badly.
    But the Accord drives much heavier than the Accord. If you enjoy driving for the sake of it, you'll enjoy the TSX much more. It's a much better handling car. Not that the Accord is a slug, the TSX is just better.
    i suggest you don't try to race a TSX against an Accord V6. you'll lose badly

Not if you throw some turns into the mix. Stoplight racing is boring.
  • waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    If you own an Accord V6, may I invite you to a test drive from Monterey to Big Sur on CA1 to prove to you how wrong you are? Distance about 30 miles, including approximately 6 miles of straightaways. Passing may be difficult, so we would have to time it.
    an Accord V6 accelerates faster than a stock TSX. end of story. i know of the TSX's positive attributes but acceleration isn't one of them.

i'm really looking forward to the turbo TSX.
  • waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    i suggest you don't try to race a TSX against an Accord V6. you'll lose badly

I understand "race" as going the distance, not gunning from the stoplight, which has no practical use and which you have rare opportunities to do anyway in the normal driving conditions. That's why I offered to prove to you that I would not "lose badly". Passing acceleration and curve handling are much more useful features and in those TSX is more than satisfactory.
    Here we go again!
    yep, perhaps "race" wasn't the best word to use. i simply meant to say that the accord V6 accelerates faster than a tsx. can't wait for the turbo tsx.
  • gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    Sorry if this was already posted... C&D picked the V6 Accord over the TSX. Power was the major difference. However, the Accord was also favored for Comfort & Convenience. Interesting.

V6 Accord - 2nd Place
    TSX - 3rd place
    Yo, fedlaw, how've you been? This particular arguement never went away! :P Still trying to defend the TSX to those not in the know. :D
    In my case, the TSX vs. Accord decision was made when they redesigned the tail-lights. While I love the improvements to the front of the Accord, I hate what they did with the rear.
  • gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    Agreed. It looks completely generic. I may even prefer the old droopy look.
    "Still trying to defend the TSX to those not in the know."

the only argument i'm making is that an accord V6 will accelerate faster than a tsx. that's my definition of a faster car. i do realize that in the hands of a skilled driver a tsx will probably run circles around an accord V6 on a road course.

i'm one of those idiots who prefers to drive an automatic (i have had 2 manuals in the past) and i feel an automatic tsx is lacking in power in comparison to an accord v6 in everyday driving.
    the only argument i'm making is that an accord V6 will accelerate faster than a tsx. that's my definition of a faster car. i do realize that in the hands of a skilled driver a tsx will probably run circles around an accord V6 on a road course.

i'm one of those idiots who prefers to drive an automatic (i have had 2 manuals in the past) and i feel an automatic tsx is lacking in power in comparison to an accord v6 in everyday driving.

I agree. Any arguements I make for the TSX are for the 6 MT version only. It's a different car with the stick.

The Accord is a fine car.
    "Yo, fedlaw, how've you been? This particular arguement never went away! Still trying to defend the TSX to those not in the know."

Doing great. Been real busy with flying (Army and Fed) all spring and summer. I'm going to TX for A-Star qualification next month.

I've noticed more and more TSX's on the roads up here now - even Milano Red one's! They still turn my head...

BTW, I like the Accord's revised look - front and rear. No denying that the TSX is the sports car of the two, but with the new looks and a 6MT for the Accord V-6, I admit it's a tough choice between them these days.

See you at the next meet...

Brian
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "...in the hands of a skilled driver a tsx will probably run circles around an accord V6 on a road course."

Not necessarily. The Accord would make up a lot of ground on the straightaways. Anyway, since most of us don't have access to the Pacific Coast Highway or anything similar, the superior V6 straightline power is a strong attraction. For 90% of driving I do, the V6 Accord would have been a better choice (although I ended up with a Camry SE-V6 due to lack of stability control on the 2005 Accord.)
This discussion has been closed.