Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• rs2001rs2001 Member Posts: 2
    First, we have been using the AAA buying service to hunt us down a 2001 S'crew. I have to say the service is great and if you haven't tried it, consider it. They do all the legwork and the prices they are returning seem pretty decent apparently because they have deals to buy in bulk. OK, now the real issue. The AAA buyer has found several trucks that are close to our specs and we have narrowed it to two at this point (although he is still hunting). Truck A (an XLT)has most of what we want except shift-on-the-fly 4WD. It also has the 5.4L engine which is larger than we need. Truck B is the basic XLT with a 4.6L engine. The price difference is about $1300. We are tempted by truck A but also think that maybe we could get truck B, save $1300 and add options later if possible. These options would be 1) power drivers seat, 2) sliding rear window and 3) on-the-fly 4WD. My question is, can these options be added by a dealer anytime later and is this a wise thing to do. I worry they might not be as good as factory installed. I also worry that at the dealer they may cost more to install than what is listed on the Edmunds site due to extra labor. Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, for those others of you still holding out for a 2001, the deal my AAA guy called me with today included a $2000 rebate; he thinks by next week it could go higher but no guarantees.

Happy shopping and driving and I look forward to to hearing from anybody knowledgeable in this area.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    by a Dealer will cost waaaay more than as a Factory option.
  • zimzamzimzam Member Posts: 10
    I was looking all over oklahoma city area for a good deal on the fully loaded screw 4x4. And they cound not beat the deal that you mention in mess# 741. I called the dealer, westway ford, and he said come on down and he made a deal of $6500 off the MSRP. I went down there last Saturday and pick the baby up. Love the truck and it drove like a dream. Talked to Jimmy Haley the manager or salesman Kevin Merton. Oh I notice a small dent in the tail gate and I mentioned it and when I went back out there the tail gate was changed with a new one.
  • wlm26wlm26 Member Posts: 33
    First off, I'm having a tough time deciding now, on whether to go with the CLS III option. From pretty much everything that's been said here, all it really comes down to is the hitch, shocks, and trailering harness. Is this right?? The other HD items aren't actually there, and possibly shouldn't even be offered according to Ford?? Bad idea. Second, I was at Burt Ford here in Colorado Sunday, and I'll be damn if I didn't see 20 or 30 2k1 regular F150's with the seats that have the seatbelts integrated in the seats. Now what I can't figure out is why they don't offer these seats in the Super Crews??? They're basically the same, just the bolstering it a little wider to accomodate the drive mech. Any ideas on whether I can get these seats???
    I am thinking of putting in the sprayin bed liner but so many different types and brands. Does anybody have any recommendations.
  • jschira1jschira1 Member Posts: 7
    Glad to hear that you got the deal that you wanted and that I was of some help.
  • jschira1jschira1 Member Posts: 7
    The option code for the split bench rear seat in the King Ranch Screw should be 87B, the same as in XLTs and Lariats.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    The Ford rep told my dealer today that this bulletin refers to the radiator problem being the fault of the literature being printed in error. Ford deleted the radiator, but the printer didn't, or something to that effect. I have asked for a hard copy from Ford. It reminds me of a parody done years ago on project management techniques. When a problem arises, "blame the non-participants". Also noticed today on the F150 Online site that the State of Arizona's Attorney General is investigating.
  • atlanta4atlanta4 Member Posts: 51
    guy21,
    I hope this is not the "owner notification" that my dealer told me to expect in 30-60 days. I'm still so happy with the truck that it's a shame to still have that nagging problem in the back of my mind.
    If it's any consolation - I just towed my 5000lb(est) travel trailer with my 500lb ATV in the truck bed in 90+ degree heat to my hunting camp. The temp needle hardly budged from where it has stayed in regular day to day driving and gas mileage only dropped about 1.5mpg! So any doubts I had about towing ability were pretty much erased...Would still like to hear any updates you hear about on this & I will do the same.
  • lyvxx35lyvxx35 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a 4x4 Supercrew and have read in Ford literature that the height is 79" tall. I want to make sure it fits in my (standard?)garage which is 80.5" at the lowest point. Can anyone verify the height??
    Ford brochure lists the 4X4 at 76.9" tall. I just went out to the garage & looked at mine - it's 77" at the highest point & it has the 17" tires. Hope this helps.
  • 3fan23fan2 Member Posts: 6
    First of all where has everyone gone? I have not seen anyone post here for a while. Usually this is one of the most current sections. Any how. Does anyone have info on the changes or lack there of for the 2002 Supercrew? Any idea when they will be on the dealers lots?

Thanks!!!
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    don't appear to be any big changes. lariat and king ranch get automatic climate control. there are a couple new colours. lariat colour selection is now larger. rear bench now an option or will be shortly on the king ranch. i gleaned most of this by looking at new truck pricing on http://www.kbb.com.
  • jsr283jsr283 Member Posts: 7
    Ordered a 2002 F-150 4WD Xlt Screw 3 or 4 weeks ago and would like to pass on some pricng information so that it can hopefully help others who are in the market or can generate some constructive criticism. The dealer surprisingly agreed to order for invoice price and all the figures are below:

Base price $26,558
    5.4 L eng 680
    Limited slip axle 243
    Skid plates 136
    Tow pkg 298
    16" AT tires 107
    Destination 715
    FDAF Assessment 260
    US Gal Gas 18

Subtotal $29,015

official fee-10.50/temp tag-4.00 14.50
    notary fee-15.00/document fee-35.00 50.00

Subtotal $29,079.50
    local sales tax 8.75% 2,544.46
    license title registration 95.00

Total $31,718.96
    The FDAF Assessment was explained to be an advertising fee even on customer ordered vehicles. Dealer said truck would come with a full tank of gasoline but that factory charged $18 or so on the invoice.
    Dealer originally wanted to charge a "Consumer Services" fee (approx. $400) to cover his vehicle prep costs, but reduced it and finally eliminated it entirely when I balked.
    Hopefully this info will benefit someone. If anyone out there can shed any light on whether this was a resonable deal, and if not, where I could have done better, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    With small V8 and auto, with LS high gearing ? Anybody know ?
  • 3fan23fan2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info on the 2002 Supercrew. Hey! jsr283 did the tell how long before delivery? Keep us posted. I am surprised you got invoice pricing on the 2002 model now.
    you can get invoice pricing on the '02 s-crew at www.kbb.com. they actually have a section that allows you to build your vehicle. i used it today to get a half way decent deal on my newly ordered s-crew.
    Mine is a 4X4 with off road package, 5.4L, 3.55 limited slip. The best I've done so far has been 13.1MPG on the highway (avg 70mph). Truck only has 3000 miles on it so maybe a little more break in will help but I doubt it will improve much. I towed a 28' trailer that weighed about 5000lbs with it to my hunting camp & surprisingly mileage didn't suffer that much - around 11.5. Have read a lot of posts about mileage with the 4.6 vs 5.4L engine & everyone seems to think there is little difference. I know the 4X4 & rear gears make a big difference though. Hope this helps.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    Took my 4x4 KR ,5.4 , 355ls on it's first long trip Upstate NY. About 700 miles round trip. First leg up there we got 16.99 mpg with around 16.5 on the flip-flop.This was with the cruise on most of the way set at around 75-78 MPH. Pretty heavy foot all the way there and back.This truck has just turned 4000 miles.My brother-in-law( works at the Wixom plant building Lincolns and T-Birds) drives almost the same truck (F150 supercab 4x4) says his, once it got past 10000 miles, the mpg went way up.Closer to 18 MPG highway.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    How much is the truck pre-wired for other options, such as auto headlights, and the pass. air bag switch?
    Congrats on your new truck. I couldn't be happier with mine (unless the HD radiator issue hadn't come up!). Actually wish I had bought it for myself but we were replacing a minivan with it so it's actually my wife's main car. Come hunting season I may be 'borrowing' it more than she would like.
    As far as your questions - Mine is a loaded Lariat & it doesn't have a passenger airbag on/off switch. I'm not sure whether it's because it's a full 4 door car/truck that the regular federal safety requirements won't allow it - or if any of the 2001 trucks have it - or if Ford decided it was cheaper not to put one in. Anyway, mine doesn't have it & I'm not sure if you can even put one in without voiding the warranty.
    As far as 'auto' headlights - I assume you mean 'automatic' headlights. Mine has an auto setting that will turn the headlights off if you leave 'em on. It might even turn them on automatically too but I've never messed with it - I just turn the lights on when I get in. I guess it's probably the same wiring harness on all the trucks so you could probably do it if you wanted to go to the trouble -but again- be careful you don't do something to void the warranty.
    Enjoy the truck!
  • jsr283jsr283 Member Posts: 7
    The delivery time was estimated at 6 to 8 weeks. I ordered in early August. I don't care if they take their time, because the cashback and dealer financing will start kicking in.
    on blueovalnews.com it said that job1 (start of '02 production) for '02 production at the s-crew plant was supposedly august 20th. so, if this is correct, the earliest someone will see an '02 would be about 4 weeks after that...
    I saw these options in the owners book, installing these would be a sinch if the wiring was there. My lights chime if the door opens when the engine is off and the lights are on, there is another spot on the light switch for the auto on/off, mine doesnt have. I replaced the mini van also but I drove the van so this is mine. Sure is quiet!
    It might be worth consulting or investing in a service manual for the F150 if you plan on tackling something on the wiring harness. A dashboard fire would really suck on a brand new truck. I consider myself pretty handy & found the service manual worth its weight in gold on my 1970 Torino Cobra. I could practically take that car apart with pretty basic tools. Unfortunately, todays computer controlled engine systems are far beyond what my poor brain can grasp so I'll leave the service on my S'crew to the dealer. I like the truck too much to inflict ant damage on it myself.
    On the mileage. I have a 4x4 Lariat with the 3.55 differential, towing package, off road kit ,etc and have just went over 2000 miles on it. I got 14.1 mpg and that is 80% city and 20% highway and most of the time with the a/c running. I'm very happy with it and sure get a lot of compliments on the truck. My girl friend,being that she is short, really likes the adjustable pedals so she doesn't have to sit so close to the steering wheel. I'm possible going to make run from Oklahoma to Michigan this fall for some fishing an hunting. Can't wait to see how it handles.
    Your truck sounds like it's much like mine but my mileage still hovers between 13-14mpg. I live north of Atlanta so it's fairly hilly here so that might drop my mpg a little. I really don't mind though because the truck has exceeded my expectations everywhere else.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Like you guys would be getting better gas mileage with the SCrews, I have a SD Crew Cab 4x4 with the lariat 5.4 and 4.10 LS rear and I get 15-16 on the highway loaded down as long as I keep it under 70. In town I average 12-13.
    I havent finished off my first tank yet, but around 2/3 empty I've gone 225 miles. My truck has the 5.4 and standard rear end. One thing to look at is rpm vs mph. at 1250rpm my truck on level ground is doing 52mph. How does that compare to the 4x4 and tow package truck. that is where the milage will show through. Keeping the truck under 2000 rpm for normal driving is easy, at least for me, if I dont jump on it!!!!
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    I have used it since 1993 and it works great.
    I have a 2001 king ranch 5.4 supercrew,I use amsoil 0w30 motor oil,and amsoil sdf-11 oil filter.I also had the tranny "pump serviced" with
    16 quarts of AMSOIL ATF.Pump serviced is when the machine sucks out the old,and puts in the new at the same time.I had it done at 4,000 miles.
    I went to 0w30 at 1,800 miles,It runs sweet!
    I get 18mpg to work & back.
  • newfordman1newfordman1 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know a good Ford dealer in the Dallas area that will not play games with you?
  • bugsdoc1bugsdoc1 Member Posts: 3
    I have been pleased with both Lee Jarmon Ford in Carrollton or Payton-Wright in Grapevine. They both will sell at invoice and have good service departments.

Jeff
    I bought at Westway Ford in Irving, TX. phone # (972) 659-0333. Supervisor name is Jimmy Haley. I got my Supercrew Lariat, 4x4, with 5.4 eng, 3.55 limited slip, tow package, off road pkg, sliding rear window, cargo cage, and few other extras. MSRP was $35,000+, I got it over the phone for $28,898. When I got there he knocked a couple more hundred off. This was in early August. You might get better deal now that the 2002 are in and they need to get the 2001 out. Tell him Joe Zimmer told you about him.
    Thank you for your help. I am planning to purchase a Screw in the next two weeks but I made the mistake of going to Town East Ford just to do a test drive and was hounded unmercifully. I finally had to walk out with my family.
  • lyvxx35lyvxx35 Member Posts: 2
    I plan to purchase a 2001 or 2002 Supercrew 4X4 in the next 2 weeks. I live in West Houston and wanted to get some information on reputable dealers (Texan, Mac Haik?), and about how much I should expect to pay for a vehicle with an MSRP of $36,000.00. I have seen a couple of newspaper ads offering $5,000.00 off sticker- is this about right? Do you recommend that I "shop" over the Internet or will Dealers not give their best prices in this format? Is there still a good inventory of loaded 2001 models? If so, are these still the better buys?

I really appreciate the input. Thank you!
    It would seem that the 2001's would be a better deal as it benefits the dealer to move them for new inventory. There still seems to be a fair number of 2001's here in the north Atlanta area. I got mine about a month ago & it had a very late June build date & was ordered by the dealer loaded - so I guess the factory was still cranking them out. I'd think a place like Texas where trucks are popular would have a pretty good selection.
    As far as shopping over the internet - I did a lot of shopping before I bought and did not get the dealers' best price that way. I found the best price by getting the invoice cost of the truck and each option from this site and using that as a starting point when negotiating in person with the dealer. Don't be reluctant to show them the printout because they have the same info and know that you have it - or should. I found that the invoice prices posted here matched the dealers' invoices exactly. I also looked up the available customer incentives (rebates) here and found another $500 became available from Ford the day I made the purchase! That was sweet!
    As far as researching available inventory in your area - go to the Ford customer website. They have a search engine that will show you the dealers within a specified mile(10, 50, 100, etc..)range of where you live. I went directly from there to each dealers website and most have their current inventory available to browse online. That way you can find the truck you want and not have to drive to 10 different dealers and listen to 10 different salespeople try to sell you something you don't want.
    Good luck in your search - the S'crew is an awesome truck & I'd buy another one tomorrow! Does anybody know of any major changes for 2002?
  • doublecoladoublecola Member Posts: 1
    I received my new 2002 S'crew last Wednesday 9-12-01,and Love it !!!!!,I bought it from Ponderosa Autoplex in Daingerfield,Texas 903-645-7304 the salesman to deal with is Johnny Strong (he is knowledgeful,straight forward,has been there many years and drives a S'crew himself),I have been getting my company vehicles repaired there for about 3 years and actually have been most drawn there by their service manager whom I have grown to rely on for straight forward repairs and pricing, anyhow I ordered my S'crew on one of the first possible order dates of 6-15-01,the PRICE WAS RIGHT and I recieved a $500 rebate,I am typically a pretty analytical buyer because I want to make sure I get what I want in a vehicle and don't have regrets later,Thanks edmunds.com and Town Hall users as I was able to answer most all my questions and concerns about S'crew options before I even really got into the purchase process,and this drastically reassured me when I placed my order, I was also armed with invoice pricing from edmunds.com and kbb.com both of which by the way did match dealer invoice exactly, by the way this S'crew replaces my F-150 flareside extended cab with 247,000 miles that I bought new in '94 which is also still going strong, Thanks
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Where did you buy your truck? I'm also north of Atlanta and I'm in the market for a cab truck (living in the hills made me realize I'm going to have to give up the Soccer Mom SUV ;)). Don't everyone laugh at me, but Ford's the only full sized cab truck I can get with a sunroof, so the decision was made :) Plus the Lariat looks like I might not have to give up too many of my "plush" ammenities.
    I bought at Team Ford (formerly Chuck Clancy Ford) in Marietta. I dealt with Russell Porter who is one of the Sales Managers. He was very courteous, open and direct during the negotiation and purchase. Equally important - he has been quite helpful after the purchase. We had the two-tone paint applied after we bought it (negotiated the price for this before we purchased) and he arranged for a free rental vehicle while it was being painted. They did a terrific job on the two-tone and stripes too - looks just like the factory.
    No offense to Mr. Porter but the price the used car manager offered us on our trade in (1999 Chrysler Town & Country van) was a joke. I think that there is a glut of minivans & SUV's in Atlanta so they don't have to offer much in trade. Just my 2 cents worth if you're thinking of trading in your SUV. I've mentioned this before here but the truck replaced our minivan so it's actually driven mostly by my wife with the kids and she loves driving it!
    By the way, Vernie Jones Ford in Jasper will sell any vehicle for $99 over invoice. Mel Locke was the salesman we dealt with there and he was very nice. Unfortunately, they will not negotiate with that price. We actually gave up a deposit on a truck we ordered from them because the deal on our truck at Team Ford was too good to pass up.
    Good Luck. Post your experiences because reading everyone elses really helped me.
    I went to every Ford site around here that had a website and emailed them. Wade Ford, Cherokee and Vernie Jones were the only ones that emailed me back. Cherokee's price was absurd and when I tried to email him back, it bounced - not a good sign. The guy at Wade Ford gave me a great price on a SuperCrew, but I thought I might want the SuperCab instead. I'm still up in the air on that one.....Vernie Jones didn't have a SuperCab with a sunroof, but may have the SuperCrew with one...yes, I know, but I've always had a sunroof and I really must have one ;) I have a 2000 Pathfinder 4WD loaded LE. I bought it at the end of 1999 and got a great deal on it. Even if I can get a few thousand less than what they're selling for in the paper, I'll be happy. I'm going to try Carmax also. Apparently these are selling for decent prices because with the 2001 increase in HP, they also now use premium and mine uses regular. Who knows what will happen in "real life". Heck, if I can't get a good price on it, I'll just keep it and buy an older F150 w/o a cab and use it to haul things to the dump and from the hardware store :) I'll let you know what I find out!! Thanks for the info!
    Cherokee Ford wasn't even in the same ballpark with the other dealers' price when I was shopping either.
    I didn't check prices on the SuperCab but if passenger comfort is more a concern than the occasional trip to the dump or Home Depot I'd go for the SuperCrew. As your kids (I assume that is a factor since you mentioned 'soccer mom')get a little older & if you travel they'll appreciate the extra room. Now that we have the sunroof on our SuperCrew it's really nice. It's really an expensive option for a pick-up, but hey - if you gotta have it - you gotta have it. We really didn't need the 4WD or off road package either but we "had to have it".
    CarMax is a good idea to try before you trade-in at the dealer. They actually gave us a better price to buy our van than any of the Ford dealers.
    Good Luck!
    Thanks again for the info! No, my "soccer kid" is now in college, but somehow I still end up carting his friends home every so often ;) Plus, where I live, I sometimes have to go down and pick people up to bring them to the house. 4WD and the off road package are a necessity - but the towing option they all seem to have will be useless.....I'll let you know how things go!
  • tohonotohono Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. This is my first post to this board, so bear with me. I'm considering the 150 Super Crew for my first truck. I'm actually a content Subaru owner right now, but need a truck for pulling a horse trailer and, so far, one horse. With another horse the towing needs would top 5,000 pounds, easy. The Ford dealers here say the 150 could handle it if I got the biggest engine available. Others say go for a bigger truck, like the Ford 250, especially if I ever plan to tow over the Sierras. Maybe I will someday. I hate to limit myself here. What have you people found with your 150 when it's towing? Any horse or boat owners out there who've taken the whole rig over a decent mountain range? Thanks for your help!
    My first advice is not to trust anything the dealers tell you (see post #697 in 'cabover campers & camper trailers')discussion. Do your own research here or elsewhere before you go to the dealer. It's not that the dealer is intentionally trying to deceive you but their first interest is in selling you the car & very few of them have personal experience with towing.
    I use my truck - 2001 Screw Lariat, 4X4, 5.4L, 3.55 limited slip with tow package - to pull a 28' camper trailer. It pulls it easily & I estimated it weighs close to 5000lbs loaded. It has no difficulty with the North Georgia & Carolina mountains but I haven't done the Sierras with it yet.
    Moving up to the F250 will not get you any bigger engine unless you opt for the powerstroke diesel. What you get is a beefier frame & suspension & transmission to handle the weight of the rig.
    I'd post your question on one of the towing/camping related dicussion boards to get feedback from veteran haulers..
    Good Luck
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    ok..goning to buy in the next couple days. have found 2 that fill the bill..major difference is the seats.. one has captains chairs.. are the worth the price difference?..
  • supercrewfansupercrewfan Member Posts: 8
    This is my first post and I registered after years of reading just to tell you to get a bigger truck. We have the F150 Supercrew that we pull a lightweight RV with, the kind of RV that says they can be pulled with a car or van or 1/2 ton pickup. Yes the Supercrew can pull it, but it really isn't heavy enough to handle the stresses the RV causes on the brakes and frame. I wanted to go with the F250 but my better half said he wanted the better ride for the 90% of the time we weren't towing. Check the alt.rv and rec.outdoors.rv-travel newsgroups and http://www.rvsafety.com/Forum.htm for opinions on towing with an F150. Hope this helps.
    Test drive each of them to see what suits your personal preference. A lot of people love the split bench and the extra seat. I really love the feel of the captains chairs and the large console, along with the fact the cd changer is in the console and not behind the rear seat. Good luck.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    were a lot more comfortable, but now that the split benches are shaped/contoured so much like buckets (or captains chairs) I'd just as soon have 'em for less $$$.
    Agree with both of the last two posts. I test drove both & found the bench seat equally as comfortable as the capn's chairs. Also thought the bench gave us the option of an extra seat or the console. My only complaint with the bench is that the CD changer is stuck out of reach behind the rear seat. If I were buying today I'd probably keep the bench seat & go with the single in-dash CD. That would save close to $700 to spend on other goodies.
    I am pleased to announce a new arrival to my family. I just purchased an Arizona Beige 2001 Lariat Supercrew with 5.4, limited slip, cab steps, sliding rear window, tow package, cargo cage, captains chairs and the 6 disc CD changer at Prestige Ford in Garland, Texas. This morning's newspaper had their new ad for this truck for $24,788.00 after rebates and discounts. The invoice is 27,690.00 and the MSRP is 31.400.00. They had four at this price and we were there before they opened. The truck had just been taken off the trailer. They will prep it today and I will pick it up Monday morning. I can't believe how good I feel about this truck!!!!
This discussion has been closed.