Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Perhaps a range of $1500 - $3000 over MSRP would be more realistic..."

You mean "under" MSRP or "over" invoice.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Just FYI. The Internet people at Fitzgerald Toyota while I was corresponding with them told me that from the dealer standpoint, regardless of what was on the web site or in the Avalon e-brochure, there were no actual option "packages"; all options (Nav, VSC, laser cruise assist, etc.) were order individually (i.e., ala carte). So Nav is not available only in a given option package, at least in theory. You could get it by itself. The reality of what is being put out by the factory may be that Avalons are produced with certain options on them. These may or may not correspond to defined packages on the web site.
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    I would like to ask How much over Factory invoice people are paying for an 06 Avalon (Makes comparison easier)..

Please include any items listed on the invoice like "regional advertising" that might have influenced the amount you paid.
  • dl_c32dl_c32 Member Posts: 16
    I haven't purchased it yet because I got a lower quote. Bacially the previous quote I got from the dealer is $2000 above the invoice. The Option A includes NV, VD, CL and CF. If you go to Toyota website, that how it list in the eBrochure and PDA as Option A for Limited.
    Now I am getting $1500 above invoice + tax&Lic. Will go pick the color since they have 4 sitting in the lot for me to choice. Cool!!
  • ron6ron6 Member Posts: 27
    I live in the Midwest and have no Toyota dealers within 60 miles. I travel some and have gotten e-mail quotes from dealers in Omaha, Minneapolis and Kansas City. Of the five quotes, four were at $1000 under MSRP. The fifth wouldn't budge from MSRP.

One of the dealers told me that if I bring in another dealer's written quote at $1000 under MSRP, he will beat it.

Has anyone gotten a better deal in the Midwest and, if so, can you tell me the name of the dealer?
  • bigdogsailorbigdogsailor Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. What is the best deal you've heard on this forum for an 05' limited avalon? I want to approach the dealer in about 30 days, so I need to gather some information. Who out there can share what you paid for an avalon limited 05 with nav, laser cruise, remote start?
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    My mistake. I meant $1500-$3000 over invoice, not over MSRP.
  • treynardtreynard Member Posts: 12
    I've looked over the new '05 Avalons, and I'm leaning towards the Limited. However, I have not been able to get discounts over $2,000 ... and my target is a minimum of $3,000 discount under sticker. That's about $1,400 over dealer invoice, as best I can determine. How long do you think it will take for prices to soften? What would be a reasonable low price offer for an Limited with an MSRP of $35,600? I'm prepared to wait if necessary. It seems that anytime you are among the first to buy a new model, you pay too much. Anyone have any upper midwest dealers to recommend for a good price? MN, WI, IA, ND, SD. T Reynard
  • dalcollidalcolli Member Posts: 23
    bigdogsailor and ron6, see my post #40. I'm in Indianapolis.
    It is not a bad target, but given the strong reviews the Avalon is receiving as well as the limited inventory, you may have to wait a while to negotiate a better deal on the Limited. Many dealerships in the Boston area seem to have very few or no Limited's in stock. Right now, the advantage seems to go to the dealerships because they seem to be able to sell the Limited's they have in stock and, in some cases, even future allocations. Good luck! Dan
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Toyota is selling many more LTDs then they projected. They are selling LTDs @ 1 to 1.6 XLSs. Most dealers in the greater DC area are still at or close to MSRP. Although last night I saw where Fitzmall.com was showing about 1,800 under MSRP.

MikeS.
  • cherie1cherie1 Member Posts: 16
    I got this quote yesterday but I needed more info so you folks could maybe help me out better. Here is what I got. A quote From Fleet Sales for a 05 Avalon Limited Base with added Dynamic cruise, Vehicle stability control, rear spoiler and floor mats for $33,988 + Tax and License and a $45. DMV doc fee. I said I just wanted the base Limited but he said ALL of the Limited's are coming in with the Dynamic cruise upgrade. This is N. Cal. Is this a good price or what can I say to do better?
  • missy1missy1 Member Posts: 2
    Could someone comment on the type of deals they are getting on the 05 Limited in the Atlanta GA area?
  • katbogkatbog Member Posts: 4
    Try talking to the internet sales manager at Marietta Toyota. He quoted a good price on the XLS and I noticed they have several Limited models in stock. His price may not be quite as low as other dealers, but he can leave off the documentation fee. That can save you $400-$500.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Who out there can share what you paid for an avalon limited 05 with nav, laser cruise, remote start? "

36,800usd

MikeS.
  • jms132jms132 Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I drove the 2005 Avalon Limited on Saturday, 3/19 and signed the purchase agreement. We have to wait two weeks for delivery. The dealership I went to, Toyota of Bedford, Ohio, is selling them at full MSRP through the sales department. I went through the internet department and they knock of $500. I was able to get them to knock $800 off and then we talked trade. I got them to bump my $2k trade (value at Edmunds) to $3k.
    Bought:
    2005 Avalon Limited, Titanium Metallic with Graphite interior, Mats, Laser Cruise and Vehicle Stability Control.
    MSRP = $35,529, my price $34,729.
    I feel I received a fair price for such a hot car. They have a demo only on the lot as people (such as myself) are buying up to two months out on the delivery cycle. They even limit your test drive to 15 minutes since so many people are lining up to drive it.
  • dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    I too live in the midwest. I found a dealer willing to reduce the price on a xls. Many dealers I talked with were getting the sticker price. The pricing I quoted was 800.00 over invoice for the touring or 1000.00 over invoice for the XLS. I bought the XLS and now need to wait until it's made in mid April.
    I noticed at all the dealers I visited, everyone had touring models and a 1 or two XL's but no Limited or XLS's? One last note, internet quotes are joke. Out of 6 dealers contacted only one would give me a quote and that was after I put money down on my new xls.
    "One last note, internet quotes are joke. Out of 6 dealers contacted only one would give me a quote and that was after I put money down on my new xls. "

I completely agree. I requested about 8, NONE replied back with a quote, all requested that I call to make an appointment to come in and one actually sent me a nasty message about the unemotional and anonymous nature of internet quotes, trying to make me feel like a horrible person for wanting to shop around - uh, hello, why was there a link on their website for customers to request an internet quote then?
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Generalizations are often less than reliable (there's a generalization right there!). Fitzmall.com (i.e., their Toyota dealership in Gaithersburg, Maryland) gave prompt responses and serious, no-hassle quotes on a Limited to my internet inquiries. I was ready to finalize things and make a purchase (they're 200 miles from me), when at the last minute a local dealer matched their quote.
    On the other hand, my own personal experience with credit union "special deals" has been a joke. I could always seem to do better on my own or through some other approach, which makes the credit union deal you (dalcolli) got particularly impressive to me.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    As far as I can tell, this is $2600 above invoice. Not bad, not good. I just got a quote for $2300 above invoice in Los Angeles. Would like to get it down around $1500 or less.

What city are you in? What dealer?

Max
    Anybody get a good price from ANY dealer in California. I live in Los Angeles, but am willing to go anywhere in California for a good deal on a 2005 Avalon Limited.

I would consider a good deal anything below $1500 above invoice. I am very envious of the deals people have gotten from UBS on the East Coast ($500 above invoice), but I just don't believe that will happen in California anytime soon.

So - anybody in Cal at below (Invoice + $1500)??

Max
  • cherie1cherie1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for showing me that. Sometimes we go blank adding things over and over. It sound like I should offer around $32,500 and go from there? Did the 1 you looked at have the same equipment? Where in L.A. area did you get your quote. I go there fairly often. Will be down that way in 2 weeks. Maybe someone can answer this? Why does Edmund TMV "What others are paying" state a higher total than what most people are saying that they pay in these discussions? Just curious since I am a newbie to this.
    I've tried about 15 dealers in LA, got the 1 quote from Carson Toyota. Similar quote from Northridge Toyota for one car they had in stock that I didn't want. Have been ignored, laughed at by many dealers. Still haven't beaten $2300 above invoice.

I assume Edmunds TMV includes a larger sample than the few people who comment here, and most people are paying big bucks for the new Avalon. So - the TMV may be a realistic overall average, but most of us want to beat that by a large margin.

Max
    That's funny that we had pretty much opposite experiences. I guess it just goes to show that it pays to investigate all the options.

PS. I did get the deal in writing from the dealer. It should arrive about April 21. :)
  • tajahtajah Member Posts: 10
    What has anyone paid for a Touring edition & what options did you add to it? I'm awaiting the arrival of mine next week! Have a deposit, now we're haggling over final price!

Thanks in advance...Tajah
  • dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    I can hardly believe paying 2300 over invoice.
    I thought I was crazy for spending 1000 over invoice for my xls. Maybe it's worth the trip to Wisconsin .... wait until summer thou.

It's terible on how rude these sales people can get to top it off. I ran into a few of them who I plan to visit after my car is delivered.
  • rc1inverorc1invero Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in any positive internet buying experiences for a 2005 Avalon XLS during the past 3 months from Washington DC to FL. I've not been happy with the replies thus far. The dealerships seem like they don't need internet sales. Name of dealerships and their locations helpful if you've gotten a good deal.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Because most people can't remember a week from today what they actually paid for their car. Most people say they paid less than they did for a car and say they paid more than they did for a house. Who cares what anybody else paid@!!?? What matters is what you pay and whether you are happy with that or not. And what is it with all this invoice fetishes?
    ; )
    Mackabee
  • bushkabushka Member Posts: 19
    You ask "who cares what anybody else paid?" ... and the answer probably is "we all do". With all due respect ... this forum is about "prices paid and buying experiences". That's why I (and presumably others) read it ... to hear what individuals can share about pricing and discounts. When you're in the market to buy, it's good to know what experiences other buyers are having. Regards - Bushka
  • loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    I don't think mackabee is saying it's a bad idea to get a feel for what the market price of the car is, rather that a car purchase is about economics. If you feel good about the car purchase, that you're getting the right amount of value (car features/feel vs. cost) then you've found a good buy. Most of us who roam this forum would scoff at someone paying $300k for a car, but there are those who find such a vehicle a good value. And before it's even asked, NO I don't sell cars for a living. :-) SpEaKeR
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's take the more general comments to our Smart Shopper board and leave this one for shopping information specific to the Avalon. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    One of my local dealerships called City Toyota (near San Francisco) has an advertisement for "All New 2006 Toyota Avalons at $2,000 off of MSRP".

I wonder if the ad is a typo and they meant 2005.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I don't believe it. The reason most people if not all people want to find out what their neighbor, friend, etc, paid is because they want to feel that they got a better deal than their neighbor, friend, etc and not feel that maybe someone, somewhere got a better deal. Life is short!
    : )
    Mackabee
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Conrats on buying the car !
    Would yu be kind enough to state what options you got on the car and what your prices was. Thanks
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Try emailing precision toyota in Tampa Fl and let me know how you make out Good Luck!
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Mackabee:
    I have to agree with Bushka on this matter. I'm sure you already understand what the fetish is with invoices, but on the off chance you don't, and for the benefit of others who might not, here goes.

Knowing a car's invoice price is crucial in determining the profit a dealer stands to make on that car. While a dealer exists to make as much profit as its owners' philosophy dictates, there is a lowest price each indiviual dealer is willing to accept for a given car, and coming as close to that price without going over by much lets you keep more "dough" to spend on you, your family, your IRA, etc. This matters more to some than to others.

For those of more than modest means, and for those who'll buy the car now out of immediate need or desire/lust, will buy now. For them, the added benefit of owning the car now is outweighed by the $1-3K more paid by having to wait for prices to drop (and yes, actuall selling prices will likely drop this year, price increase for the '06 model or not).

I am in the latter group and have to wait for prices to come down. As such, I find this forum extremely valuable in monitoring Avalon price levels. And when prices are right in my area ($500 above invoice +/- a few hundred), Montgomery County, MD, I will pull the trigger and share my experience as others have.

At $500 above invoice, the dealer still has over a thousand in profit - more than enough to do business and earn a profit. (I've not yet tried calculating exact dealer holdback/adv amount yet)

Also, the less you pay for the car up front the less you lose in depreciation because two identical Avalons will be worth the same when it's time to sell (all else being equal) regardless of the fact that one buyer paid $36.5K and one paid $34K.

I welcome all comments and enjoy the open and honest exchange of information on this forum, so let's keep it going and speak our minds!
    Regards to all,
    Deannie ;)
  • moleary1018moleary1018 Member Posts: 1
    I am in need of some good advice. My Grandfather is shopping for a new Avalon (2005). He has found a fully loaded model with Nav system, laser cruise control etc. at the dealership and is interested in a lease. Here are the particulars of what they have negotiated:

10,000 miles a year (he won't use them).

$5000.00 down and $500.00 per month for 63 Months!!!

I am unsure of the residual value assigned to the car but I believe they have the sale price listed as $42,000.

There is a complicating factor... he is one year into a 5 year lease currently and they have rolled that into the new deal. I am unsure as to whether or not that is a liability or an asset (he may have put down a significant amount on the current lease) so lets just assume it was neither a liability or an asset.

I have personally negotiated several leases and this strikes me as being a very high price to pay for this vehicle, however I am used to negotiating German cars.

Thanks in advance!

Michael
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, there are a WHOLE lot of complicating factors here, not just one. First, do not let him put down $5000 on a leased vehicle. It does nothing but reduce the payment, and he'd be better off putting it in a side account and making his payments out of that account. If the car is wrecked or stolen, the $5000 is GONE forever. It will not be replaced by the insurance company. Then he's out $5K and has no vehicle.

Second, most members will recommend NOT leasing for longer than the manufacturer's warranty. If you're going to take on responsibility for maintenance & repair of a vehicle once the warranty has expired, you're probably better off purchasing.

Finally, without knowing the residual value of the vehicle, the MSRP, and the selling price, PLUS what amount exactly is being rolled into the lease from his currently leased vehicle, it's impossible to tell whether he's getting an OK deal or a bad one.

For complicated issues like this, I suggest you visit our discussion called Lease Questions - Ask Here to get advice from our leasing guru, car_man.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    More advice: Follow the directions from the HOST in post #90 above. It is impossible to say what is happening without all the exact numbers. Get them all. Follow the directions given. You will have your answer.
  • etetetet Member Posts: 3
    negotiate the cost of the car as if you were buying it even though you are leasing, leases are not written in stone, don't lease for more than 3 years, and negotiate all those litle fees, if they won't bring down the price, walk out, I'll bet they will stop you from leaving...
    First, IMHO, you would have to search long and hard for someone that believes a lease for more than 48 months makes any financial sense. There may be some exceptions, but why wouldn't your grandfather just finance the car? Given that your total lease payments are $36,500, I can't imagine why he would not buy. The difference in monthly payments can't be that much than the lease payments and after the 63 months, your grandfather has something to show for his $36k +. I may be missing something here, but the lease scenario you present just doesn't make any sense! Good luck! Dan
  • jcu1963jcu1963 Member Posts: 22
    I read with great interest posts to this and the Avalon 2005 lists. The information is almost always interesting and informative. Hopefully, my question will also receive a response.

I live in Southern Illinois (near Marion), which is a very rural area. St. Louis is the closest major city, and it's a 2 hour drive. Dealers in the immediate area all seem to be quoting MSRP only for the Avalon, which is disheartening to say the least given the number of posts with purchases below MSRP.

Given the limited number of dealers in, say, a 150 mile radius, how would you proceed to obtain information on a quote to ORDER a Limited (I think I found 1 dealer that actually had a Limited in stock)? Contact each dealer with what I want on the Limited and ask for their price? There would also be a trade-in involved (03 Avalon XLS that is loaded and with 15000 miles).

I've already tried Autobytel and carsdirect, but they were unable to provide any quote.

Thanks for listening.
  • renonevada1renonevada1 Member Posts: 1
    Just paid $35,529 for an 05 LTD with all options except XM Radio(MSRP on the window sticker is $37,429). A fair price, I think, for a new, "hot" car. We wanted a Black one with Gray perf. leather and since that color wasn't designated for our region our dealership had to find one out of Southern Cal, so it took about three weeks. Great car by the way, not an iota of buyer's remorse here.
  • etetetet Member Posts: 3
    time is in your hands, don't rush into the jaws of car salesman, take your time, offer them your price if the don't like it walk out, they keep their car you keep your money, email them with your price, if you talk on the phome ask them to send you an email with the price just quoted, print it and go to the dealer, once you agree on a price watch out for hidden fees, walk out again, play their game. They are so crooked that they still make a lot of money on the invoice price, negotiate the invoice not the msrp, good luck.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Thanks Kirstie,
    I viewed this forum, 1st two messages had nothing to do with prices paid. Thanks for setting the record strait. When (if) I buy and Avalon, I will post the deal I got w/ specifics. I am a "ruthless" car buyer, hence it will be a good deal.:)
    I could outsmart and out think any used car manager. However, I might not get the deal for they tend to be stubborn and have lost deals in the past for the new car rep. I am always willing to walk and it makes (dealers) nuts:)
    I disagree, I want the best deal period. I don't tell/brag about the deal I got to a friend neighbor (sorry Kirstie, this is off topic.) Life is short.. to waste money!
    My suggestion (2 cents:)) is that most try to sell their car themselves. You will get more money and the cost of advertising in the local paper is "cheap". You can use KBB.com to get a value for your used car to base it on. Once you have sold your car, ask the dealer to "wash" it though their books. Most will do it if you pay the 75.00 doc fee. The buyer of your used car will not care about where they spend the $$, if the deal is the same. You save 1000's for you will get more for your car and of course only pay the tax on the diff. of your old car and the new one. I have used this method six times in 15 years. Mike V.
    carsalesman You shared ""do it! With the 06 price increases coming and other models similiar to the avalon selling at MSRP and well over the Avalon price tag, you may find it a waste of the time to wait."" You seem like you are in the business. There is no way any one with a same ming will pay even close to MSRP. I suggest going to a city with allot of Toyota dealerships and then play them off one another. Once the dealers have more inventory, pounce on them! A good day to buy is the last day of the month. Dealers/salespeople want to make volume bonuses and will offer better deals. I help friends buy cars and always save them 1000's. Many hate the car buying game, but I love it fot it's fun and I get great deals.
    Dear Carsalesman,
    I may have missed some "posts”, but are you a Toyota car salesman?

Your advice, one example” but the bad news is this car sells at the lowest $2k below MSRP and you have to find a dealer to do it! With the 06 price increases coming and other models similar to the Avalon selling at MSRP and well over the Avalon price tag.."" Give me a break!:). New in demand Acura RL's are selling at 500.00 over invoice almost everywhere. Avalon’s will be no different once the dealers get their full allotments. Toyota wants to sell 125,000 of this car this year. This is "new" news for it is up from the prev. forecast of 75,000 vehicles.

Please don't mislead people. You give some great advice here, but some if off the mark.

MikeV