Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    I bought my 2006 Avalon Ltd in Roseville, CA (just north of Sacramento) for $34,823 plus tax and license. Options included Vehicle Stability, Navigation, and Laser Cruise Control. Price was $1,200 over invoice.
  • duffnerduffner Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info. That is the best price ever for that car. Maybe I will check Roseville. Sometimes I wonder why big cities like Los Angeles get weird. Maybe they have too many customers. Santa Monica Toyota had my car sitting there but he told me flat out that they will wait for the retail guy to come in, and sure enough it was gone in two days.
    I started with the internet using Costco, Edmunds, AAA, etc. I also got the Consumer Reports pricing report. Our local dealer agreed to $1,200 over invoice but couldn't get the car I wanted. We finally found out that there were 2 vehicles scheduled for delivery in central and northern California in the color combination with the options I wanted - Indigo Ink Pearl with Graphite interior, vehicle stabilzation, navigation and laser cruise control. One of those was Roseville. I e-mailed the internet department at Roseville, a salesman with the fleet/internet department called me back the next day and we made the deal in 10 minutes. At first he wasn't going to negotiate price, but when I told him that I had been offered $1,200 over invoice by my local dealer, he agreed to match it. The vehicle was in transit. The salesman kept in contact telling me what the progress was toward delivery (when it arrived in Fremont, when it was on the truck, when it would be in Roseville, etc.). In addition to the options I mentioned, it also came with floor and trunk mats. When I asked, they even threw in a chrome license plate holder that says "Avalon". They didn't have it at the time so they mailed it to me. We're about 135 miles away, but it was worth driving the distance to pick it up. One of the tricks is to never deal with the retail folks - always deal with the fleet and/or internet folks.
  • dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    Just bought a silver pine mica Avalon with VSC, Navigation, DLCC, XM satellite radio, Remote Engine Starter, Rear Spoiler, Sunroof Wind deflector, All weather mat and cargo tray, Auto Dimming mirror and mudguards for 34,200 + TTL. Is this a good price???
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Deven,

Don't worry about the price you paid: you have the BEST color!
    Silver Pine Mica, the Most Excellent Choice... :D

Mike
    guess what color my Avy is?!
    LOL.........yes silver pine mica is a stunning color, i was going to go with Blue Indigo but when i saw the silver pine mica, my eyes were fixated to it. Mike the best thing about the silver pine mica is that there wont be too many around so it will be a little exclusive to drive this car.

Deven
    Yes, Deven I agree..

I think there are about four of us now in the world who have discovered the beauty of Silver Pine Mica! :)
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    I'm shopping for prices for an Avalon and, surprise (duh!) I've noticed a substantial price spread from dealer to dealer.

One thing more than one has mentioned is that the distributor they "have" to work with, Gulf States Toyota, adds things in (advertising fees just to name one) that don't show up in Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, or other sites. I've seen an extra $35 destination charge on some sites, but that's chicken feed . . . does anyone have info - any info at all - on Gulf States' fees?
    I just got back from the dealer and I paid $35,200 OTD price. I think this was a great deal and boy the color is georgeous(I agree with Mstem) Its penciled to arrive by October 21st so i cant wait. Thanks for all the help here so i could get the best price. Kudos.

Deven.
  • northwestohio1northwestohio1 Member Posts: 8
    We like everything about the Avalon except the limited trunk space. Our 1991 Camry has the same 14.4 cu ft spec. Any comments about the usefulness of the trunk space for traveling purposes? Does it hold a couple of normal size suitcases and two sets of golf clubs? We really like the car, but the potential lack of suitable trunk space is holding us back. Even the 06 Camry has more space. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Thanks.
  • jeffgrizjeffgriz Member Posts: 6
    That is essentially the same price my mother paid for a Blizzard Pearl Limited with everything you got except except the remote starter. I know the white paint is $200, don't know the price of remote starter--but I think that's as good a price as I've seen on this board.
    The Blizzard Pearl is a great color and if you do a dark tint the car just stands out. My dealer could only give me such a deal on the Silver Pine Mica because the demand for the color is not high but 1 look at the color and i was in love with the color.
  • cjponlinecjponline Member Posts: 17
    My 2006 Indigo Ink Limited, with mats, laser cruise, & vsc (no NAV) was 33,738 plus tax. My wait was just over 3 weeks. I shopped 4 separate dealerships, none had a limited on the lot!

This is my 3rd Avalon ('95, '01) and the car has surpassed every expectation!
  • vmunvmun Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 2006 Limited Titanium metalic with mats, laser cruise and VSC for $33.300 plusTTL. The dealer initialy quoted $33,000 without the laser cruis as I wanted but since he cannot find one without he agreed to eat away half the prise on this. The MSRP on laser cruise is $600.00. Ishoped 5 different dealers in 50 mile radius on the phone and e-mail then took the best price quote from a dealer 40 miles away and had my closes dealer to home match this.

This is my first Avalon, what a great car so far, everybody who has seen this car is falling in love with it. :)
  • voiceguyvoiceguy Member Posts: 6
    I want a 2006 Limited but I don't want Remote Start, VSC, Floor Mats, Nav... But I am told the ONLY "option" on a Limited is Nav.---'Either/Or'... All the rest comes with Limited wether I want it or not! Comments please.
  • zorro16zorro16 Member Posts: 31
    they are wrong,most of the times the dealer installs remote start. vsc, floor mats and nav are options. they are not standard. shop around the town to find a plain limited.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    Excuse my lack of knowledge about this: I would like to know if it's worth it to have (Vehicle Stability Control) and (JBL Synthesis) as options on a new Avalon? If all possible, give me a brief explanation of their function. Much appreciated.
  • sobsob Member Posts: 15
    I addressed this issue within the Gulf States region earlier. I suggest you search the forum using my ID (sob or SOB) and the messages will be made available for your review.

SOB
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    check out carcrash.org for info on VSC.
    http://www.carcrash.org/mediaweb/00003.pdf
  • cc123cc123 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for an Avalon Ltd. or XLS with NAV, JBL Synthesis, VSC, Moonroof optional. I see $1200 above invoice regularly in the forums but not sure if this applies to my area, SE Michigan (I am willing to travel up to 3 hours).

Also, given that these two models are similar in terms of options, which would get a better deal?

Comments?
  • bps007bps007 Member Posts: 6
    Just took delivery of our 2006 Avalon Limited with VSC, LCC and mats (includes trunk). Negotiated 3 dealers down to $32540 (includes all dealer costs but excluded government fees of $67 tags/title) and got my local dealer to match the price (Even though their initial offer was in the high $33k range). Leased for $482/mo with no money down and included 1st payment rolled into the lease along with acquisition fee. Money Factor of .00167 (which equates to about 4% annual interest rate - pretty good) and residual of 42% (48month/12k miles). Southeast district dealers do NOT participate in the national Toyota finance programs - they have their own lease programs. As a long time Honda/Acura owner with many purchases and leases under my belt, I found the Toyota process to be quite "old school" - from the dealers tactics to the way they try to "hide" costs - more so than most Honda dealers I've dealt with in the past. I just leased a 2006 Honda Touring Odyssey the same week and had a much easier experience dealing with about 15-20 different Honda dealers. In the case of the Avalon and specifically Toyota dealers, I contacted dealers in 6 different states and lease rates and information about the exact same automobile were ALL OVER THE MAP!!! Only problem is Honda/Acura really doesn't have a vehicle right now to compete with the Avalon and the car is a very good value. To share info with the others in this group who ask about only certain options being available according to some dealers, I learned that is a district by district policy, but it can be overridden. In other words, there are I believe either 11 or 13 districts in the US. Each decides what "standard" vehicle options they will try to package to the consumer. In the case of the Southeast district, they even add things as if they were from Toyota, but they are not available in other districts (i.e. additional "factory tint" - more than what already comes on the Limited). At the end of the day, I learned that if you are in a district that wants to sell you a "prepackaged" Limited for example, just tell them you have a dealer who is willing to order from the factory what you want - a plain vanilla Limited or pick and choose your options. If they say it can't be done, simply scratch them off the list. I found these dealers to be the most difficult to work with. Be sure to keep everyone to the same bidding specs. Decide exactly what you want up front (everything) before you start contacting and asking for quotes. In the end, I found it pretty easy to get the deal above once I figured out all of the annoying details of the Toyota distribution and financing process. Honda is much easier to get quotes that are truly apples and apples. When I explained the Honda process to a Toyota Finance manager at one of the many dealers I contacted, he seemed to think that Honda has it figured out better than Toyota. Bottom line, we are pleased with the deal, pleased with the car (so far) and I hope this information helps other buyers. I have gotten so much help from these postings and wanted to give something back. Thanks.
  • endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    Took delivery of my 2006 Avalon LTD about 30 days ago. Got retail bluebook for my 2000 Camry and the dealer took $1500 off the sticker. Other dealers wouldn't even flinch when saying they wanted the sticker price.
  • doc15doc15 Member Posts: 37
    Need some help..............2006 Avalon Gray/Gray XLS Has( "Package" JBL 360 watt 6 disc CD changer with 12 Speakers and Vehicle Stability And Traction Control/ Heated Seats) Total MSRP $33,345 (which includes destination charge of $540). Invoice with package above is $29,268.

I'm located in Central New Jersey. What is a fair price to pay for this automobile?

Thanks.
  • sulkysulky Member Posts: 1
    Found your information very interesting... where may I ask did you find such a deal..?

Can't find anything like the subject deal on the Toyota Avalon here around Nashville, TN.

Thanks!!

sulky
  • aurora1aurora1 Member Posts: 1
    I have ordered a Limited for delivery later this month with out the remotre start....most of the ones I saw at dealers did not have the remote start...
  • voiceguyvoiceguy Member Posts: 6
    Made deal on 2006 Ltd... with VSC/TRAC/BA, Spoiler, Mats, Wheel Locks... and NO REMOTE START, NO NAV. $32,550. I have to wait 30-45 days... but, that's ok. I think the price is very fair. By the way, we went with the Silver Pine Mica and Ivory Interior. We live in Seattle. Thanks to all in the Forum.... you have been a great help.
  • bps007bps007 Member Posts: 6
    One dealer in Cincinnati, OH.
    McDonough Toyota in VA
    Modern Toyota in NC

All matched the deal.
  • klp3klp3 Member Posts: 1
    I was told by a dealer (Lexus) that bogus information was posted on the townhall with regard to prices paid. He said that low ball prices were posted by other brand's dealers.

I do not think this is true because my experience in buying my Avalon was very similar to those posted in this forum. Any how, here is the rundown on our car just to give you another reference to get the best deal.

2006 Avalon XLS Limited Titanium Metallic with Laser Cruise, DVD Nav, VSC, Vehicle Shield Pkg., Rear Spoiler, Remote Start, Mud Guards, Carpet Mat Set and dealer options of window etch, tape stripes, prep, and another attempted charge of $1,000.00 for market value adjustment. MSRP $39,001.00 Dealers Sticker Price of approximately $41,000.00 Price paid before TTL $35,623.00 The only impovement I could think of is if the car had XM, XM is great for the music lover on trips. My wife and I are both pleased with this new car. :shades:

Thanks to all who have shared their pricing to help others.

:) KLP :)
  • bixsterbixster Member Posts: 6
    I think so, but hopefully others will agree. Last week, purchased an '06 limited w/o navigation but with LCC, owner preferred package, wheel locks, vsc + break assist for 32,800. MSRP was 36,057. Also, negotiated VSA platinum at $1300 but didnt buy yet. Other dealers stated they could not match this offer on the car, so, i bought. Love the car! Thoughts?
  • pgerlingpgerling Member Posts: 2
    I am going to purcgase a 2006 Avalon XLS with a MRSP of $34,401. The invoice at Kelley Blue Book is $29,957. I live in Shawnee, KS. How much should I expect to pay for this vehicle? I'll probably have to order it from the factory. Thank you.
    Paul
    Congratulations on the purchase of your new Avalon Limited! I have had mine now for a little over a month and absolutely luv the car. BTW, mine has factory installed XM radio, and you can have it also. Try browsing the regular Toyota Avalon 2005+ forum, and searching on XM Radio. If you can't find what you need, post back here and we will help you. The short version: you can purchase the exact same factory XM radio module and have a friendly radio shop install it for you if you wish. It ties into the JBL system already in your Limited. Way cool! Advise if you need a reference for purchasing, etc... Mike
  • doc15doc15 Member Posts: 37
    My quess a fair price would be appx.$ 30272.00....to....30960.00 See message #651, I am also looking for the XLS. What are the options in your vehicle?
  • mmzigmmzig Member Posts: 4
    Last month my wife and I found a '02 Avalon XLS with 57,000 miles at Lithia Toyota in Vacaville CA with a sticker price of $21,9xx. The salesman told us it had just been traded in by a couple who upgraded to a new Avalon and who had a summer home in Oregon so the miles were mostly freeway. He also told us the trade price was $19,700, so there was room to deal.

I offered $19,500 and specifically stated that that was to include any extra charges such as "document prep". After the meeting with the sales manager, the salesman told us the offer was accepted and then came back with the detail which showed an additional $45 for "document prep". I wasn't too surprised at that, but was amazed when they came back the next time having eliminated $40 of the additional charge, leaving $5. $5!!!

After getting that corrected, we proceeded to the finance manager, who, in the course of going through the paperwork asked us to sign a waiver related to the dealer warranty stating that the vehicle may have been a daily rental. When I told him I wouldn't sign that based on what the salesman had told us, he brought in a carfax to clear everything up. It sure did! It showed that the vehicle had been originally owned by a business and wholesaled out twice during the past year. So, just for clarification, I said to the finance manager, "So you have no idea who originally owned this vehicle." He confirmed that was the case. So, the trade-in price of $19,700 was fiction, as well. That's when we walked out. The irony is that we might have bought the car anyway if we were told the truth up front.

We have since sold our '96 Avalon for $4,600 (the dealer had offered $2,5xx) and ordered an '06 Touring for delivery next month (from another dealer!). So far, so good. I'll report back after delivery.
  • pgerlingpgerling Member Posts: 2
    Doc,
    I'm looking at: VSC & Seat Heater Pkg., Moon Roof, Floor Mats, Jbl Radio Pkg., XM radio & Wheel Locks. Silver Pine Mica color and Ivory interior. Thank you for your price estimate.
    Paul
  • gotadanzgotadanz Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 2006 Avalon XLS and was told that the best price I could get through the Internet Department was 32,067, with Navigation. I was told that was $1,000 over the dealers cost. Do you thin that is a fair price?
    Tavia
  • duffnerduffner Member Posts: 15
    Thats 2K better than I got from Marina Del Rey Toyota in Los Angeles. They quoted me $455 per month for 3 years for the lease. I came back when they got a LTD with NAV which was 36K and the lease amount jumped to $696 per month. I told them I didnt understand the new figure and they got abusive saying stuff like "what is it you dont understand", etc. Someone posted that you should deal only thru the internet or with fleet managers. Its for sure that nobody should deal with this snake-pit.
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    Wow, your in Kansas? Check out Midwest Superstore in Hutchinson, Kansas. We received one the best deals on this forum site for our loaded Limited there, and we live in Michigan. We could not come close to this deal in Michigan!
    I cannot say enough about this dealership, I just wish we lived closer so they could do all the service on the car. Check out my other posts (dandl) under this forum (buying experiences) and also check out posts by Kirkendoll under the Avalon 2005+ forum. It was his post that led us to Hutchinson. I called Midwest Toyota and told them about Kirkendolls deal as posted on Edmunds and the salesman happily matched his price. Ordered the car, flew in using frequent flier miles, and drove it home and it's been pure joy ever since. Hope this helps.
    Laura
  • pftaylorpftaylor Member Posts: 10
    This is my first post on Edmunds.

I have been reading these forums daily and have been salivating over the new style Limited for weeks. Some days are better than others and well today was my lucky day.

I literally stole a mint 2005 Limited Avalon with only 111 (one hundred eleven) miles for a screaming mimi price of only $28,500. I cannot not describe my feeling of joy and happiness right now. Here are the options that came with the car:
    Navigation, laser cruise, VSC, floor & trunk mats, pin stripe, and remote start. What more could I ask to have dropped in my lap? Not a thing. I didn't want a rear spoiler on a front drive car. Who cares about mud flaps? I was giddy...

How did all this happen you ask? Lucky to be living in Tampa, Fl where a buddy of mine is a used car wholesaler who regularly attends the auto auctions in Tampa and Orlando. He knew of my desire to buy a Limited but cautioned me that 05' Limiteds have not been rolling through as of yet. Well, He called me this morning to alert me to the fact that this baby was being auctioned in Orlando at the Manheim auction. It was listed by Manheim as an XLS. But when he visually inspected the car, it was in fact a Limited.

The first thing I did was a reality check regarding the ultra low mileage. With the clock ticking until the car was up for auction, I wondered if it was damaged somehow so I paid $19.95 to Carfax and it came up perfectly clean. I then quickly called a Toyota dealer and had them run the VIN and tell me the service history.

Again everything checked out. So I then researched prices at Edmunds for a used Limited and instructed my guy to bid with a "not to exceed price" of $29,900 (which I thought would never really work based on the option load the car had).

The rest is history as they say. And to think that just a few scant days ago I was sitting in a Toyota dealer's showroom listening to a bunch of manipulative techniques by hack salesmen and managers plying their trade with ToyoGuard, SouthEast Dealer Administrative fees, etc - well you get the point.

Today is my day and I'm now sitting in a Limited!
  • islandavyislandavy Member Posts: 21
    Right place at the right time, congrats and enjoy your Avy. I love mine more every day and it's been exactly 4 months since I got it. Have not seen another one on the road down here in the Keys.
    Island Avy :shades:
  • philly24philly24 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my 2006 XLS Limited a month ago from Philadelphia and its due to arrive next week at the dealership. it has Laser cruise, VSC/Trac, Voice activated navigation, 50 states emissions, floor mat package, rear spoiler and remote start, wheel locks and break assist and the OTD is 37000. Do you think i got a good price on the car?
  • stephmstephm Member Posts: 4
    Could you tell me if there is a website or a phone number for the Toyota Affiliation program? My company is part of the Nissan program, but I can't seem to find out if we have the Toyota program or not. Thank you for your help.
  • 06ltd06ltd Member Posts: 25
    Yesterday, for the first time, I bought a new car over the internet; a 2006 Limited Titanium/Graphite with Navigation, laser cruise, VSC/Trac, JBL 6-disc, but no Sat radio or remote start. MSRP $37,505; OTD $34,400, plus $210 air fare. Assuming it's everything it's advertised to be, and that it passes an acceptance drive, I feel good about the deal, but I'm VERY impressed with the deals some others have gotten on this board. Dick Dyer Toyota, Columbia, SC. :)
    I paid $34,823 plus tax and license for my limited in indigo ink with graphite interior. I have navigation, laser cruise, VSC/Trac, floor mat package, but no spoiler, wheel locks or remote start. The above price was $1,200 over invoice. You will love the color combination - I constantly get compliments. It looks REALLY SHARP!! Nothing dull or boring about an Avalon with this color combination!!
  • ronmhjrronmhjr Member Posts: 1
    I was curious if OTD for you includes tax? I have just recently talked to the same dealership and got a price of $36,300 OTD for the same car with spoiler, mats, remote start, XM, and window tint in addition to yours for a total MSRP of $39,294.

I also had the salesman say that it has bluetooth and that he has set one up. I was curious if there is any Toyota that has bluetooth, that he might be confusing the Avalon with.
  • 06ltd06ltd Member Posts: 25
    It doesn't include tax. SC has no tax reciprocity with Maryland. I'll see what that means when I go to the Motor Vehicle Admin. to get tags and title. Apparently (according to what I read), there is no Bluetooth on any Avalons (don't know about others). The Dyer salesman originally told me ours has Bluetooth, and then called back with a correction. I find the salesmen at the dealerships to be poorly informed. When I drove one with Nav near home, I had to show the salesman how to operate it even though I'd never seen it before.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    Can anyone recommend me a dealership in the Long Island area? I've only been to the Smithtown Toyota and (though their first impresson seems okay) they dont seem to have too many avalon limiteds on stock.

Also, if you have to order an avalon, how long does it usually take? And do you have to pay when you order it or when you take the delivery of it
  • cozazzcozazz Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone recommend me a dealership in the Long Island area?

If your willing to travel a bit I recommend Lee's Toyota of Jamaica, NY. I live in Suffolk and shopped at many LI Toyota dealerships. Ended up ordering my Limited from Lee's Internet Sales team. Very nice folks and no BS. I ordered a Titanium/Lt Grey which is not normally sent to Northeast. Not only were they the only dealer readily willing to special order, they gave me the best price also. Told me approx. 8 weeks for delivery. I have 4 more weeks to go till she arrives!
    10% deposit when placing the order, balance on delivery.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    Why did you decide to go out to Lee's? Are you by chance korean?

Did suffolk dealers not give you good deals or just did not have what you wanted/didn't want to special order?
  • cozazzcozazz Member Posts: 6
    I chose Lee's for the following reasons:

1. 98% of the Nassau Suffolk dealers were not willing to special order.
    2. 98% of the LI dealers are "car salesmen" types.
    3. Out of the 6 or so dealers I emailed with the same questions, only Lee's answered my questions, told me how long, and gave me a starting price. The rest all sent a generic reply trying to establish a contact with you in person.
    4. No I am not Korean?????

Use the Internet Sales Dept at Lee's
  • dwcdwc Member Posts: 6
    Brown3, did you find a dealer in the Austin, TX area that gave you a reasonable price on the 06 Avalon XLS? I also live in Austin and am shopping for an 06 Limited. Did you buy yet?