Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• squestsquest Member Posts: 25
    Thank you very much for your answer. I had both problems with my radio. The AM side was bad and the dealer replaced two short cables with no help. They then had to lower the head liner this week to replace the long one per the TSB.
    I also had the radio to cut off as you described one time. They replaced the radio on this last visit. I got the van back today and it seems like all is well. The mechanic knows me by now because he has worked on this problem a lot for my car. He came out and told me he had replaced another of the short cables, and the long one looked like it had the insulation scraped off and shorted to the metal of the car.
    I really like the van, but I liked the size of the 1999 better. The long wheelbase does let the van drag when going into some driveway dips, or over some large bumps. However, the long wheelbase makes the ride wonderful and smooth on the road.
    I really appreciate this forum and the people who make constructive posts. I took part of your mail into the dealer today and showed him the evidence of the radio problem. They said they were not aware of that radio problem at all.
    I have also had the transmission problem described in the TSB that says the transmission can lock up in the” fail safe” mode. When it does this, it is in third gear and the van will move by racing the engine. Turning the engine off and back on clears the problem. I am not going to have this problem addressed unless I have it happen more often. It has only happened one time in over 15,000 miles. The transmission must be opened to replace the faulty relay. I will wait and see how this turns out over the extended warranty period.
    My brakes are also beginning to show signs of disc warping when they get hot descending some of the mountains where I live.
    In spite of the problems, I really like the van. This is the 4th Nissan/Mercury Villager I have owned. They have been very serviceable cars, and the dealer has been easy to work with.
    Thanks again for your response.
  • rvedalarvedala Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem of rattle. I spoke to other Nissan Quest 05 owners and they complained the same. The dealer worked on mine and the problem still exists. Please advice on what owner's rights are.
  • jackeljackel Member Posts: 1
    Doesn't that hot air problem suck!! Nissan has had this problem for a couple of years and not bothered to fix it. I have owned 4 or 5 nissan trucks ranging from 81 diesel to my current 02 frontier. Never noticed the problem till the current truck. You might have had a better case if you had the service bulletin for the 2001 Frontier (try alldata.com). Nissan tried to release a service fix which just increased the size of the holes on the intake cowling. It obviously didn't work. I've had to run the A/C in my truck when it's 50° out after 12 to 14 hours of continuous driving because of all the excess heat leaking into the passenger compartment, at warmer ambients, it's MUCH worse. So one year it's a service issue, the next it's a "characteristic of the vehicle". I was only able to get my extended warranty money back . . . after a long struggle! This will likely be my last Nissan.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    I have got about 23k on the 04 Quest SL now, and the tires are about 3/4 worn. I drive my car very conservatively (don't abuse the car or drive like a mad man). I also rotate my tire as part of my maintenance. The last 5-6 months, the car have been having problem with steering wheel vibration. I had the dealer balance it 3 times now and still having problem. I have checked the condition of all 4 tires, and they all are wearing uniformly, and the tire pressure is checked every week. I really believe the tires are just junk and it didn't help to see the tires wear out so quickly. Anyone having similar problem with their tires? Also, with the TPMS, can any tire shop just put on new tires without interrupting the system? Any of you got new tires yet, and if so, which brand/model?
  • rpcrpc Member Posts: 2
    I am responding to message #590 which was posted a year ago. I did not see anyone post a response to this problem. Has nobody else experienced this?

We purchased our Quest a year ago and almost immediately had the same mystery beeps. Three in a row at random times. We took the van in a few times to the dealer and of course it never beeped for them. They finally heard it just 3 weeks ago. The beeps seem to have disappeared in the winter and returned with the warm weather. Sudden stops or bumps in the road seem to set it off although it happens when just driving on a straight, flat road also. Nissan is ordering a new part for the back door in an attempt to solve this problem.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this?

It is driving us crazy!
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    How much gas in the tank when this happens? It also beps three times when the low fuel light comes on.
  • rpcrpc Member Posts: 2
    There is no connection to the amount of gas in the tank and the beeps. It happens with a full tank, half tank or low gas. The only definite pattern we found was that it seemed to disappear during the cooler months, it returned when it started to get warm again. I live in Arizona so that was in April.
  • helgechelgec Member Posts: 1
    Replaced my SE tires (225/60 17 at 27,000 miles; terrible tires, unevenly worn and one tire in process of separating. Replacements are expensive at almost $200 per; I replaced with Yokohama tires, Avid, same size and about $100 per. Much better ride and hanlding. In the process now of having front and rear wheel alignment to attempt to determine why wear was so bad. I also have some front brake throbbing and will be checking rotors for premature wear. This is not a very satisfactory vehicle. Dealer has not been able to totally repair rattles etc.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I had the Goodyear Eagles on my Intrigue that I bought used. It was the second set in 60k miles. I think you wil find that these tires wear out very quickly.

I have 225/65 16 on my Quest. I have not been able to find another tires that fits this size. Is there an equivalent sized tired I can use?
  • peppermanpepperman Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading alot of the posts here, and thought I'd weigh in on a few of the recurring topics.

We bought our '04 Quest last summer, and from the very start were disappointed with the cooling of the a/c. Tepid, at best, when outside temps were above 80 degrees. Not what I'd have expected from a new car I'd just spent ~ $25K on. We never experienced the "hot air out the floor vents" problem, just that the air blowing out the vents was not anywhere close to cool enough. We live in Texas, and the summers can be unbearably warm. A/C is not an option for us with small children.

Anyway, we brought the thing back in probably 4 times through the end of the summer and into fall. Each time we were told (courteously!) something different: the system was low on freon but no leaks were detected; the system was cooling to specs but that the cubic feet in the van just took longer to cool off; that everything checked out, but that they'd put dye into the system to see if the thing were leaking; that the new freon didn't cool as well, etc. etc. (sigh) We were growing more frustrated by the day. Oddly enough, I'd also on occasion hear a faint "beep" while driving when the a/c was turned on. There were no associated lights with the sound, nor were the beeps the "normal" louder ones that you hear with the auto doors, etc. It was very soft, and seemed to occur consistently when I accelerated past about 42 mph, and sometimes at speeds into the 60s, but never when the a/c was off. Ordinarily just one beep. Strange, huh? Anyway, soon enough the cooler fall/winter rolled around, and the lack of cooling became less of an issue.

Well, spring/summer comes this year, and we quickly discovered that our nemesis, the faulty a/c, had returned. By this time, I had immediately returned to my previous level of aggravation, and was at my wit's end. I was due for an oil change, etc., so I called 800-nissan1 (or whatever the number is) and quizzed them about the a/c in advance. They were very nice, and advised me to take the van in, and while it was still in the shop, to call them back with the case number they assigned to my complaint. They would then contact some regional supervisor or other such person, who would in turn call the dealership and "consult" with them. Seemed like smoke being blown up my skirt, but I followed their directions anyway. When I brought it in to the dealership's shop, I went a little on the offensive, telling them that I just didn't believe that this level of cooling met ANY person's (quality control's) reasonable definition of functional air conditioning. Circulation was not a problem, I continued, but the temperature of the air coming out of the vents was. I wanted them to know that their opportunities to satisfy THIS customer were quickly running out, and that I had heard all their bunk before and was not buying it. I think I even said something like if this time didn't get it, I was about to start raising hell with Nissan b/c I could get no satisfaction from the dealer.

I'm happy to report that the goofy thing finally is cooling. The invoice said something like a lower ______ was loose (I will try to find the exact wording they used and re-post it later). Don't know why they couldn't fix it before, but my patience finally paid off, and they thankfully got it fixed. Funny thing is, the faint beep also stopped. Could it have been a warning of some sort for a freon leak??? Go figure.

We also experienced the extremely sluggish starts on random occasion--almost like the silly thing was starting off in a higher gear. After you get up to speed, you're fine, but no passing downshift, and no shifting to get up to highway speed. I guess it resets itself after killing and restarting the engine. They could not duplicate the problem, but told me to leave it running and bring it in the next time it happened. Not a far drive if I'm in town, so I plan on doing it.

They also repaired an annoying 3rd seat rattle (didn't know that was the problem until I saw the TSB on it).

Overall, we really love the van, the smooth ride, etc. We just felt like we were getting duck-bitten to death (except for a/c which WAS a major deal) with several little things wrong. If they can work out the kinks for 2005, I would even recommend it.

One more thought. We added an aftermarket DVD player in the ceiling. Worked great except alot of interference when the radio/cd player was on. We hadn't noticed it because the audio is through wireless headphones, and our kiddos hadn't told us (could they have missed it???). Circuit City was going to pull the thing out to send it in for diagnosis. I just happened to be monkeying with the radio one day before we took it in for removal, and I turned off the "rear controls" for the radio. Immediately the interference through the headphones disappeared. We decided to leave the rear control off permanently, and now everyone is happy.

One last thing: the "pod o' control" does take a little getting used to, and the speedometer, etc. also being in the middle is weird at first. One quickly grows accustomed to it, however, so don't let that alone influence your decision.
    Well, I looked into alternative replacement tires. If you own a SL model, your tires are 225/65/16 (Goodyear Eagle LS2). If you own a SE model, your tires are 225/60/17 (Goodyear Eagle LS - I think).

For the SL model owners (like me), Nissan really screwed us with this because this tire is the only one on the market with this size. There are no other brands on the market that have this size. I am thinking 215/65/16 will work as a replacement. The diameter is the same, but the width is short 10mm but should work for this rim. With this size, you have plenty of choices. You can also consider 225/60/16, but the diameter will differ and effect your speedometer and mileage slightly.
    Pepperman - if possible, can you find out more as to the fix because i have experienced similar AC problem. As for your 3rd seat rattle, did they perform the fix as per the TSB - replace both latches.
  • peppermanpepperman Member Posts: 9
    Cirruss,

I gave them a copy of the TSB with my list of things I wanted done. I can only guess that they acted pursuant to it. Whatever they did, it stopped the rattle (they may have just put duct tape on it!)

Now that I look at my invoice, it would appear that the technician only "adjusted" the rear seat latches. I'm okay with it so long as the rattle stopped, which it did.

As for the A/C, all I can say is hang in there and be persistent!!!!! Remember, mine took about 4-5 times in to get it (finally!) fixed.

My invoice reads as follows: RECOVER AND EVACUATED SYSTEM AND RECHARGE FOUND THAT LOW SIDE VALVE WAS LEAKING TIGTH [sic] UP COOLING BETTER AT THIS TIME.

Sort of cryptic notes, I know, but if you and your technician can make anything of it, maybe it's worth a try. Ours was repaired 12 days ago, and we've had several days since then in the 90s, with 100s expected tomorrow and through the weekend. It seems to be holding its own, and keeping us cool.

BTW, a friend of mine in my same town bought a Quest about a month after we did, and his a/c works (and has always worked) fine. I can only guess, then, that it is NOT a design flaw with all the Quests, but something wrong with the individual vehicle--good for us b/c there is hope of a fix!

Good luck, my friend!
    Thanks for the info. The cars A/C usually has a high and low side. The low side is the return line back to the compressor. Guess they found a leak on your return line and fixed it.

As for the 3rd row seat, mine rattled and they wrapped the latch with foam tape but later saw the TSB from Nissan stating that the latches should be replaced. I will prob remove that foam tape and bring in the TSB so they can fix it right.

Thanks!
  • emmittobieemmittobie Member Posts: 13
    Hello there. Good to hear all these informative posts. I had the exact same problems with my A/C that you did pepperman. During 80 degree weather and above, the A/C felt lukewarm at best. I had them refill the freon and all was fine for a week or so. Then once again, the cooling disappeared. They gave me the same song and dance about it cooling to normal specs. They ran a UV leak test and did not find anything. The single beep sound you heard from your car is definitely present on mine as well. I thought that was normal but I guess it might not be. I will have them take a look at what they did for your car and I hope this resolves the issue. I think this will be my third or fourth trip trying to get them to resolve the A/C problem. Thanks for the helpful information.
  • mwokesmwokes Member Posts: 10
    Just curious, did you have to pay to have the rotors re-surfaced or did the dealer do it under warrenty? Had the front rotors replaced on my '04 SL @ 4200 miles, now have warped again at 16500 and the dealer says it is normal wear and tear.
  • llegg1llegg1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Quest is currently at the dealership and has been for a week. I definitely have this annoying whistle sound coming from mine. They took the mirror off and it is not coming from the mirror. Bad news is they don't have a clue as to where it is coming from... If you got yours fixed let me know what it was.
    plashenick

You had the rotors re-surfaced at 4200 and now at 16500. That's crazy! What symptoms are you experiencing? Is the dealer certain that it's warped. Every time you machine the rotors it will get thinner and thinner, and less metal mass and therefore warp easier and easier.

My van has a problem with steering wheel vibration, and sometimes steering wheel shakes uncontrollably when braking (only sometimes). I am drawing my own conclusion that most of this is due to the garbage tires that came with the van. The tires may be out of round and making driving experience terrible. I am not ready to let the dealer machine my rotors until I am confident that my brakes always pulses when braking.

I actually have a friend that works at Nissan in the service department, and he tells me certain Nissan models (Titan) do have a rotor warp problem, but he hasn't seen any Quest come in with this problem. By the way, I also have a 95 Honda Accord with 160,000miles and still on the original rotors, and it brakes smooth....so for the dealer to say this is regular maintenance...BS, and where is it Nissan's maintenance schedule that the rotors need to machined every year!!!??! You should ask your service advisor "Do you and all your coworkers machine your rotors on your car every year?"
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I have had mine resurfaced (only) at 16,500. It is 'mwokes' that had it twice.

I did not pay for this, but under NJ Law everything is covered - no matter what - until 18,000.

If dealer wants to charge know your rights and your state's laws
    Ooooops, my bad...should have read carefully :)
  • mwokesmwokes Member Posts: 10
    I didn't have my rotors resurfaced at 4200 miles, I had them replaced, and only the fronts. Now my dealer says that all 4 rotors need recut, and my rear break pads need replaced. They say the thin pads in the back are causing the rotors to heat up and that is causing the warping. I think that they just left the normal Altima break set-up on this vehicle and it is too heavy for it.

Any idea where I can find out if PA has coverage on the breaks like N.J.??
  • park3850park3850 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know how to clean the center console surface without screwing it up? jb
    I would say windex is pretty safe, depending on what you are trying to clean off.

If you are just trying to clean off some dust, then a shop vac would be fine, that's what I do.
  • willzywillzy Member Posts: 1
    I am having EXACTLY the same problem with my 2004 Quest. I have had it in twice now for steering wheel vibration and the 3rd appt is already made. My tires have worn down to nothing at almost the exact mileage as yours BUT due to the alignment or whatever issue that is, my RF tire is completely bald about 2/3 of the way around. Now I HAVE to buy new tires. I probably only had a few months left on them anyway.

We bought a 2004 Maxima on the same day and that has Continental tires on it. The miles is almost the same as the Quest and the tires have more than twice the tread left on them. I just show my wife the difference on Saturday.

Any info on this? Is it the tires or the does the Quest have a problem?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I'd try just a damp cloth first. Then a mild cleanser for such surfaces...don't know if I'd use windex though.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • sh86894sh86894 Member Posts: 4
    All,

There is a reason that your tires are wearing down so quickly on the van. The tires that come on the vehicle have a UTQG of 360AA which is probably the worst "wear" rating you can find. Oddly enough the tires are also rather expensive at about $105.00 each and due to the 360 rating will predictably wearout again very quickly.

In my opinion you ** SHOULD NOT ** purchase these same tires when you inevitably need to around 20K miles at the latest.

So... what to do? Buy a different brand with a better UTQG/cost ratio. Here is how you calculate such a thing.

Take the UTQG and divide it by the cost. Here is the OEM tire:
    Goodyear Eagle LS2 @ $105ea.
    P225/65R-16 99H NIS (31514)
    360 / 105 = 3.43 ratio.

This means that for each dollar you spend, you get 3.43 of wear. This is essentially meaningless until you compare it to another tire. Here is one of the best deals I found (note that the OEM is the worst extreme and this example is a very good extreme)

Cooper Lifeliner Touring @ $65ea.
    215/65R-16 98T BLK (27325)
    UTQG: 620AB
    620 / 65 = 9.54 ratio

So with this example you get 275% more tire wear per dollar.

Now your only problem is finding what size tire to buy because the OEM size only has one tire available... The goodyear 225/65/16 LS2.

You will have to make your own decision here, but I did some research and found four tires that are within appropriate size specifications for that car. Each of these have multiple options and will get you a much better tire than the OEM Goodyear. Note: As a general rule you should avoid goodyear. They typically have very poor wear ratings for the price you are paying.

PLEASE NOTE: This is my own personal research and represents rough notes that I kept during the process. You are responsible for making your own decision regarding the tires that you buy. Also, each of these are based on the 16" rim, not the 17" available on the higher priced Quest. I figure those guys can afford $550.00 for crappy tires :-)

235/60 R 16 $80/up and 12 tires available
    (27 x 9.25 x 16)16"9.25" (235mm)27.10"
    (688.40mm)-0.41" (-10.50mm)
    .39 Wide .41 Short and off by 1.53% High
    BEST TIRE TO BUY

215/70 R 16 $90/up 5 tires.
    (28 x 8.46 x 16)16"8.46" (215mm)27.85"
    (707.40mm)+0.33" (+8.50mm)
    .4 Narrow and .33 tall and off by 1.2% low
    GOOD TIRE TO BUY

225/60 R 16 $55 to $100+ TONS (34) of tires
    available
    (27 x 8.86 x 16)16"8.86" (225mm)26.63"
    (676.40mm)-0.89" (-22.50mm)
    0 Narrow .89 short and off by 3.33% high
    GOOD TIRE TO BUY

215/65 R 16 $60 to $100+ 15 TIRES AVAILABLE
    (27 x 8.46 x 16)16"8.46" (215mm)27.00"
    (685.90mm)-0.51" (-13.00mm)
    .4 Narrow and .5 Short and off by 1.9% High
    GOOD TIRE TO BUY

225/65 R 16 $105 original tire, 1 tire with
    terrible rating
    (27 x 8.86 x 16)16"8.86" (225mm)27.52"
    (698.90mm)+0.00" (+0.00mm)
    This is the original tire with a horrible 3.5 wear
    ratio
    DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Do you need replacement wheels for 235/60R16?
    I want more stability when cornering. Tell us your experience when/if you get them.
    sh86894 - Thanks for the very good info....this will help many Quest owners.

sopecreek - The info posted above is for using the same wheel. If you replace the wheels, then you are incurring additional cost and loose the tire pressure monitoring function.

I looked around the web and mainly used the website www.tirerack.com and found the Kumho ECSTA ASX to have good price ($70/each) and good performance. This is for 235/60/16. Keep in mind this different sizing will slightly effect the mileage and speedometer reading. For this size, your tire will have to spin 767rev/mile. OE is 756 rev/mile. Or if your speedometer reads 65 mph, you are actually going 64mph.
  • sh86894sh86894 Member Posts: 4
    Sopecreek,

The OEM wheel will work for all the tires I listed.

As for tires, I just bought a set of four Cooper Lifeliner Touring 215/65R-16 98T BLK (27325) from Discount Tire / American Tire http://www.discounttire.com.

They had a wear rating of 620 (80,000 mile warranty) and it cost me $312.00 out the door including mounting/balance/tire waste.

This size is 0.4" narrow and 0.5" short. So when your car says 65 you are going 63.5 mph.

The tires look great and I drove it home 20 miles on the freeway and they are smooth and quiet. The 235 tires were my first preference because they would give you an extra 1/2 inch instead of losing a 1/2 inch like I just did, but the cheapest I could find them was for $480 out the door and that was with a lesser wear rating. I couldn't justify spending an extra $170.00 for that extra little bit of width.

If you found some for $70.00 then you may end up with a better wear/cost ratio.

Best of luck... my Quest has new tires now and I shouldn't have to think about it for at least 5 or 6 years.

-SKH
  • codechimpcodechimp Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I recently bought an '05 quest and the 3rd week we owned it we noticed that there was a lot of surface corrosion on the anchors for the 3rd row bench seat. Has anyone else noticed this. I took it to the dealership today and there response was "It's just surface corrosion". Rust on a brand new car in a place that holds the seats in, is not an "only" to me. I'm thinking 3 years down the line what if the seat falls off, or becomes locked in place. The rust appears to be on the outside, and I'm thinking a layer of rustoleum or paint would easily prevent this. The dealership agreed that they would call Nissan and see about replacing the seat, but only after trying to convince me that this was normal, because many of the other '05's on the lot had the same issue. The service manager actually said "What if we replace this and it happens again, then what should we do"? uh, replace it again. Just wondering if anyone else has had similiar issues and what they did about it. Is this recall worthy?
    I used the Armor All wipes to clean the dash and console as well as the trim. Worked well./ I imagine using regular Armor All and a cloth or sponge should work well. For the seats, I used a regular automotive upholstery cleaner.
    If it is surface corrosion, a coating of rustoleum is probably fine. Ask if they can do this for you and make sure it is documented on the repair ticket along with your concerns.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    I just went out and checked ours, we have no rust. Our van is over a year old and all black shiny painted metal. Where 'exactly' do you see this?
  • codechimpcodechimp Member Posts: 3
    When you fold the seat flat into the floor, If you look at where the seat attachment disappears into the plastic side panels. This is the top part of the anchor that attaches to the frame of the van, The corrosion was around the outside of the "socket" that allowed the seat to pivot. Is yours painted? Is your van an '05? I wondered if maybe Massachusetts had gotten a bad batch? as it seemed like such a simple solution to just paint it. Unfortunately this piece is part of the seat, so the entire seat needs to be replaced. I'd be interested to know if this part is painted on other quest's.
  • drivemecrazydrivemecrazy Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with getting the light strip on the running boards to light up? Our van came with the running boards already installed--we didn't realize they were supposed to light up until we had it home for a while and read up on it. Now the dealer tells us they aren't supposed to light up, but they look exactly like the ones that do and also have an electrical connection that is plugged into the van! Please help us if you can! Thanks!
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    If it's Nissan running boards for the Quest (04+), it should light up. During the daytime, I cannot tell whether it's lit or not. In the dark, the strips on both sides light up when I unlock doors with remote and really help entering the van. The light does not stay up while you are driving, I believe.
    It just looks cool, too. I receive comments from friends whenever they see the light come up. They love it.
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    Nissan has always used too small rotors for its cars. When they are too small they heat up during use and they warp. Another way to save Nissan money.
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    Wet carpet here too. Only happens when the rear seat is down in the well.
  • nevrbtrnevrbtr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Nissan Quest that runs like a dream and am looking at adding a trailer hitch to pull a small trailer with two dirt bikes. Is it possible to add a trailer hitch to these and is there a weight limit that if you exceed could damage the vehicle? :D
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    There is foam sound proofing around mine, but, when I pushed the sound proofing material back, I did see this surface rust. However, all visible parts are painted black. This is only visible when pushing this back and struggling to see it. This is such a thick piece of metal, I'm sure the van would be gone before the seat is weakened from any rust, ha.
    You'll find many other posts, on other forums, where much more of the seat metal is visible and rusting, on other models from various manufacturers, so, I wouldn't worry about this. One post I read once, don't remember the manufacturer, spoke of the rust visible in the drivers seat and this rust would get on their clothes.
  • jleeperjleeper Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if you were able to get your Quest wired. I installed a trailer hitch a few weeks ago but have not got around to putting in the wiring yet figuring it would be no big deal. Now I read that the wiring is a pain in the rear to install???? Anyway, let me know how it went for you.

Thanks.
  • vonbill3vonbill3 Member Posts: 20
    There are a number of openings in the sheet metal beneath the third seat. Most serve a purpose and the opening is sealed. Some of the openings are simply sealed with plastic plugs. In my 2004 3.5s one of the holes was entirely open and a second one had wiring thru it, but the grommet intended to seal was improperly installed leaving a small opening. I simply covered the open one with duct tape and corrected the installation of the other. I figured that when travelling on wet streets water could enter the seat compartment. So far I have never had a wet seat or carpet. My advice is to take a look underneath and make sure all the holes are sealed.
  • heehawheehaw Member Posts: 8
    Does Nissan require 93 octane or will 87 work fine? Also... any experience with the mileage based on either of the above?

thanks
  • shgshg Member Posts: 13
    Excellent input! You should be paid for this posting. This is the type of research I do routinly!
    I recently bought a 2004 Quest SL. Am very exciteid about the van and the features. One thing this van does not have that would be very useful it the rear view mirrors that flip down in reverse. This feature is available on the SE model but not the SL. Has anyone tried to retrofit this feature into the SL? I am thinking that it would only require changing the mirror out so that it would have the mirror with the memory feature. I suspect that the wiring harness probably already has the connection the the transmission reverse gear.... Any experience out there?????
  • honestopedhonestoped Member Posts: 2
    I also did the same type of research. I believe you can safely go to a 215/70R/16 or down to a 235/60R/16 size to replace the Goodyear LS 225/60R/16 OEM tire. This gives you a lot more options on tire selection and quality. The tires will be about 1%- 2% smaller/larger than the OEM, not enough to worry about as far as the speedometer is concerned. It is inexcusable for a major car manufacturer today to put a poor performing OEM tire of an odd size on a new car. The penny pinchers at Nissan should be made to own the Goodyear LSs on all their vehicles so they can incur the expense of replacing them early. This is not going to endear Goodyear tires to Quest owners. This lack of concern for the consumer is unbelievable in the internet age, because all Nissan will be doing is getting hammered like this in forums. The genius that made the deal with Goodyear should be fired as well as the suspension engineering group team lead for allowing the selection of the Goodyear LSs as standard. Hey Nissan, ask the Ford people about selecting poor quality tires to save a buck or two! I should at least expect my OEM tires to last as long as the vehicle's warranty period. I hope Nissan and Goodyear don't think consumers would re select an expensive low tread life Goodyear LS as a replacement tire, although you're almost forced to because of the oddball tire size. Most consumers will do just that because of the lack of competing tires in 225/65R/16 size. If you lose 1 tire on a trip (I've had to replace a damged tire on another vehicle while on vacation) to damage/vandalism, you either have to buy another Goodyear LS or replace all four tires with a different sized tire (You can't mix tire sizes). Imagine you or your family members being in the middle of nowhere and having to find one brand of tire in only 1 odd size. Seems Nssan forgets who drives these vehicles (Women and families mostly) and has little regard for their well being or safety. Maybe if Nissan sees enough of these messages they'll at least send a letter of apology to owners for doing such a crappy job of tire selection. Goodyear ought to be ashamed of themselves for producing the LS tire, no wonder they were bought out.

I am replacing my Goodyear LSs at 33,410 miles with a set of Mastercraft (Cooper Tires) Sensys 1s, 235/60R/16 'T' rated tires (I can't see my wife driving over 118 MPH, so the 'T' rating will be fine). 70,000 mile rated, higher load capacity than Goodyears, and only $414.00 a set installed. The cheapest I found the Goodyear LSs installed was $494.00. With the low tread ware performance, LSs are essentially twice the cost of a 60,000 mile tire because you'll need two sets to get that much mileage. The Sensys 1s have a little smaller (27.02" Overall Diameter vs. 27.5" or about 1.75% less) diameter than the Goodyear LSs, but I'd rather live with a speedometer that's off a little than worry about premature tread wear and possible tire failure. Another tire I considered was the BF Goodrich Traction T/A T/H/V rated tires in 235/60R/16. These are a little more expensive, but also have a higher tread wear life (it seems who doesn't) than the Goodyear LSs.

If you are exeriencing premature tire ware contact your dealer, NHTSA, Goodyear, and Nissan and don't let them try and convince you its your fault because you 'didn't rotate' them often enough. I rotate mine every 4,000 miles and they are ALL failing.

What a shame, to save probably $50.00 a Quest, Nissan has hurt its customer/ manufacturer relationship over these tires. I love my 2004 Quest otherwise. Didn't they pay attention to the Ford/Firestone/Explorer debacle of a couple years ago? If you're trying to recapture market share, don't go cheap (or stupid) on OEM tire selection.

Good Luck!
  • honestopedhonestoped Member Posts: 2
    Found a typo on my original message 2004 Quest OEM tire size is 225/65R/16 not 225/60R/16. Only available in Goodyear Eagle LSs, the OEM tire you get with the Quest.
  • drivemecrazydrivemecrazy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply! It gave me the strength to keep going on this odyssey! After striking out with our dealer again I called the Nissan Customer support--they spent 20 minutes collecting info from me then told me I'd have to call my dealer to solve the problem. >:(

I called different dealer and got the same run around, so I kept calling around. I finally reached a dealer who told me to bring it in the next day. They had it on the lift for an hour while they were on the phone to their Nissan Tech Rep. Turns out they need to replace the entire wire assembly. Even though it's not as conveniently located, I'm their customer for life!
  • cgriswoldcgriswold Member Posts: 9
    I've been watching this board for a while and the information shared here was a great help when I found myself falling into a deal on a 2004 SL.

Thanks

I have a couple of questions and if anyone has any thoughts or experience it would be great to here from ya!

1. Has anyone hooked up an iPod /Mp3 player to the sound system? Can you use the DVD aux jacks on for this?

2. I've read the postings on the Warranty issues with the 2004 but still don't know if it's 30/36 b2b or it has been upped to 50/60 b2b

3. Has anyone added fog light to and SL

4. Has anyone Added leather factory or aftermarket (ease of clean up 2 dogs 3 cats kid on the way)

5. Curious - favorite accessory?
    WOW! Adding leather after the fact has got to be extremely expensive! Why didn't you just buy a SE?
    As for the fox lights; I have not added them, but I did have occasion to remove the wheel well protector and look inside. Looks like the wiring is already there and installation wouldn't be too bad. However, the fog lights seem expensive and don't really do that much... Just my opinion...
    I am more interested in trying to add the reverse flip down mirror feature...
This discussion has been closed.