Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jleeperjleeper Posts: 1
    Just curious if you were able to get your Quest wired. I installed a trailer hitch a few weeks ago but have not got around to putting in the wiring yet figuring it would be no big deal. Now I read that the wiring is a pain in the rear to install???? Anyway, let me know how it went for you.

Thanks.
  • vonbill3vonbill3 Posts: 20
    There are a number of openings in the sheet metal beneath the third seat. Most serve a purpose and the opening is sealed. Some of the openings are simply sealed with plastic plugs. In my 2004 3.5s one of the holes was entirely open and a second one had wiring thru it, but the grommet intended to seal was improperly installed leaving a small opening. I simply covered the open one with duct tape and corrected the installation of the other. I figured that when travelling on wet streets water could enter the seat compartment. So far I have never had a wet seat or carpet. My advice is to take a look underneath and make sure all the holes are sealed.
  • heehawheehaw Posts: 8
    Does Nissan require 93 octane or will 87 work fine? Also... any experience with the mileage based on either of the above?

thanks
  • shgshg Posts: 13
    Excellent input! You should be paid for this posting. This is the type of research I do routinly!
    I recently bought a 2004 Quest SL. Am very exciteid about the van and the features. One thing this van does not have that would be very useful it the rear view mirrors that flip down in reverse. This feature is available on the SE model but not the SL. Has anyone tried to retrofit this feature into the SL? I am thinking that it would only require changing the mirror out so that it would have the mirror with the memory feature. I suspect that the wiring harness probably already has the connection the the transmission reverse gear.... Any experience out there?????
  • I also did the same type of research. I believe you can safely go to a 215/70R/16 or down to a 235/60R/16 size to replace the Goodyear LS 225/60R/16 OEM tire. This gives you a lot more options on tire selection and quality. The tires will be about 1%- 2% smaller/larger than the OEM, not enough to worry about as far as the speedometer is concerned. It is inexcusable for a major car manufacturer today to put a poor performing OEM tire of an odd size on a new car. The penny pinchers at Nissan should be made to own the Goodyear LSs on all their vehicles so they can incur the expense of replacing them early. This is not going to endear Goodyear tires to Quest owners. This lack of concern for the consumer is unbelievable in the internet age, because all Nissan will be doing is getting hammered like this in forums. The genius that made the deal with Goodyear should be fired as well as the suspension engineering group team lead for allowing the selection of the Goodyear LSs as standard. Hey Nissan, ask the Ford people about selecting poor quality tires to save a buck or two! I should at least expect my OEM tires to last as long as the vehicle's warranty period. I hope Nissan and Goodyear don't think consumers would re select an expensive low tread life Goodyear LS as a replacement tire, although you're almost forced to because of the oddball tire size. Most consumers will do just that because of the lack of competing tires in 225/65R/16 size. If you lose 1 tire on a trip (I've had to replace a damged tire on another vehicle while on vacation) to damage/vandalism, you either have to buy another Goodyear LS or replace all four tires with a different sized tire (You can't mix tire sizes). Imagine you or your family members being in the middle of nowhere and having to find one brand of tire in only 1 odd size. Seems Nssan forgets who drives these vehicles (Women and families mostly) and has little regard for their well being or safety. Maybe if Nissan sees enough of these messages they'll at least send a letter of apology to owners for doing such a crappy job of tire selection. Goodyear ought to be ashamed of themselves for producing the LS tire, no wonder they were bought out.

I am replacing my Goodyear LSs at 33,410 miles with a set of Mastercraft (Cooper Tires) Sensys 1s, 235/60R/16 'T' rated tires (I can't see my wife driving over 118 MPH, so the 'T' rating will be fine). 70,000 mile rated, higher load capacity than Goodyears, and only $414.00 a set installed. The cheapest I found the Goodyear LSs installed was $494.00. With the low tread ware performance, LSs are essentially twice the cost of a 60,000 mile tire because you'll need two sets to get that much mileage. The Sensys 1s have a little smaller (27.02" Overall Diameter vs. 27.5" or about 1.75% less) diameter than the Goodyear LSs, but I'd rather live with a speedometer that's off a little than worry about premature tread wear and possible tire failure. Another tire I considered was the BF Goodrich Traction T/A T/H/V rated tires in 235/60R/16. These are a little more expensive, but also have a higher tread wear life (it seems who doesn't) than the Goodyear LSs.

If you are exeriencing premature tire ware contact your dealer, NHTSA, Goodyear, and Nissan and don't let them try and convince you its your fault because you 'didn't rotate' them often enough. I rotate mine every 4,000 miles and they are ALL failing.

What a shame, to save probably $50.00 a Quest, Nissan has hurt its customer/ manufacturer relationship over these tires. I love my 2004 Quest otherwise. Didn't they pay attention to the Ford/Firestone/Explorer debacle of a couple years ago? If you're trying to recapture market share, don't go cheap (or stupid) on OEM tire selection.

Good Luck!
  • Found a typo on my original message 2004 Quest OEM tire size is 225/65R/16 not 225/60R/16. Only available in Goodyear Eagle LSs, the OEM tire you get with the Quest.
  • Thanks for your reply! It gave me the strength to keep going on this odyssey! After striking out with our dealer again I called the Nissan Customer support--they spent 20 minutes collecting info from me then told me I'd have to call my dealer to solve the problem. >:(

I called different dealer and got the same run around, so I kept calling around. I finally reached a dealer who told me to bring it in the next day. They had it on the lift for an hour while they were on the phone to their Nissan Tech Rep. Turns out they need to replace the entire wire assembly. Even though it's not as conveniently located, I'm their customer for life!
  • cgriswoldcgriswold Posts: 9
    I've been watching this board for a while and the information shared here was a great help when I found myself falling into a deal on a 2004 SL.

Thanks

I have a couple of questions and if anyone has any thoughts or experience it would be great to here from ya!

1. Has anyone hooked up an iPod /Mp3 player to the sound system? Can you use the DVD aux jacks on for this?

2. I've read the postings on the Warranty issues with the 2004 but still don't know if it's 30/36 b2b or it has been upped to 50/60 b2b

3. Has anyone added fog light to and SL

4. Has anyone Added leather factory or aftermarket (ease of clean up 2 dogs 3 cats kid on the way)

5. Curious - favorite accessory?
    WOW! Adding leather after the fact has got to be extremely expensive! Why didn't you just buy a SE?
    As for the fox lights; I have not added them, but I did have occasion to remove the wheel well protector and look inside. Looks like the wiring is already there and installation wouldn't be too bad. However, the fog lights seem expensive and don't really do that much... Just my opinion...
    I am more interested in trying to add the reverse flip down mirror feature...
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 503
    Has anyone upgraded the 16" wheels on their S or SL to the 17"s they put on the SE? It looks like there are plenty of correct sized alternative brands for that wheel. I am not crazy about the plastic wheel covers on my 2004 S, and the lack of decent alternative tires is tempting me to just upgrade the wheels too, when the time comes. Looks like you could get a nice set of wheels and tires for under $1,000. Could probably even buy the actual Nissan wheels from the dealer, I would assume, if you don't want to pimp your ride. Does upsizing mess up the tire pressure monitors? I seem to recall reading something about this on Edmunds but now I can't find the article.
  • Me, too. Had to take it twice and they said they couldn't find the problem. So, next time it rained, I went out and found it myself. The windows in the ceiling of the car (the last two over the rear bench) were leaking. It was trickling down the side and onto the carpet. I had mold and mildew and a TERRIBLE smell. FINALLY they fixed it when I told them the problem. Of course Nissan wanted ME to pay the $700.00. I said no. I'm still waiting to get the seat cover replaced - it has taken 3 weeks now and they still don't have the right part. AND, they broke the handle that lets down the back seat when it was in the shop. They will be replacing that as well - at no charge or I will see them in court.
  • freezerfreezer Posts: 1
    Your thought of waiting for the dealer to figure out the fix on these Quests is a good suggestion. I really feel like they don't know what to do with this new P.O.S. minivan. Mine 2004 is now in for the ump-teenth time - I think I'm up to about about eight visits.
    I too have had it in twice for sliding door rattles - first both doors, then again for one. Four times for the sunroof not closing - I'm waiting on another part. Twice for a leaking skyroof - now waiting for a new one. Twice for the rear lift gate - now waiting on a new motor. I've had it in for sticking climate knobs, bad seatback cover, rattles in the ceiling, torn skyroof shades, and I'm not sure what else. It seems to be an electrical and fit/finish nightmare for these guys to try and figure out. I've been told by an out-of-town dealer there have been over 1600 corrections/improvements to the 2006 over the 2004! Has anyone heard this?
    Thx,

for the reply, SE would have been my first choice but the deal on the use SL was to good to pass on just because it did have leather. Dose you Quest have the Fog lights? I live in Portland Oregon and winter ar wet and dark It pays to have as much light out in front you can get.
    Sounds like we had a similar experience. The SE would have been my first choice as well, but there was no way I could pass on the deal I got for the SL. (Hmm, wonder if the same guy sold us our vehicles?? (smile)). Anyway, I am in Southern CA and have a little less use for the fog lights. No, my vehicle does not have them just like yours. I have looked at a couple of websites and it looks like they are about $200 for the set, plus installation. This can be a do it yourself job since it appears that the wiring may already be in place inside the wheel well fender......
    Hey, does anyone know where the sensor is for the outside temperature thermometer? My temperature readings seems to be stuck at 50 degrees and I want to take a look at why. I could not find a single reference to the temp sensor location in the owners manual, which seems a little odd......
    I talked the service guy while taking it in for a b2b check and he mentioned a ring might have to be added to the lighting stick. Also in regards to b2b is it 3/36 or 5/60? I'm taking the SL back in next week and I'll ask then but just thought I'd here too...
  • I added a hidden hitch, which fits around the rear compartment nicely. Ordered from jcwhitney, no problems. Just be ready to loosen the muffler/exhaust pipe and make sure you have a torque wrench ready. Be aware I do scrape it if I come across a high speed bump too fast. I learned quickly how slow was necessary to avoid it.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Calm down honestopped. The Eagle LS tires are not unsafe like the Firestone tires. There are just much better choices out there. These tires are OEM on a number of other vehicles so relax. What do you want NHTSA, Goodyear or NIssan to do simply because your tires wore down at 30k miles? Open an investigation so they can determine what we all know already that the Eagle LS suck. I had them as OEM on my 2000 Intrigue. When they wore down, I didn't buy the same brand. That's all.

What I criticize Nissan for is their selection of tire size? There are no other options in the 225/65.16". Which is why i am very happy that there are forums like this with knowledgeable folks who can recommend alternatives. My tires will only last another 5k miles and I will be looking into either the 235/60 or 215/70.
  • gogovangogovan Posts: 3
    I have been experiencing problems with the transmission starting in 3rd. I first noticed at about 10k and the service manager said (after I loudly complained) that Nissan was aware the problem but hadn't been able to figure out what was causing it. Now, again just yesterday at 26k it happened again. It resets after I turn the car off and on again. Has Nissan figured out what is wrong yet?
    I also had to have my radio replaced after having cranked the car up and got no sound out of the speakers.

I am also experiencing tire wear and vibrating steering wheel. This is my 3rd Nissan, my 240sx needed new brakes and rotors about twice a year. Can expect the same with the quest? What about the tires?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    I thought that transmission issue was taken care of by Nissan.
    See details here.
    http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-144.htm
  • eyeblindeyeblind Posts: 156
    sopecreek is right, the transmission issue has been taken care of. Had my 04 SL
    in last week. They only problem I had, with the dealer, they 1st didn't want to fix it because they couldn't duplicate the problem. I finally got them to do the repairs with out them duplicating the problem.
    I have a couple of questions I hope one of you fine Quest owners can answer. I have a 04 SL with 13,000 miles on it.

1. I to experience the steering wheel at speeds over 55 mph that some have discussed on this forum. It is not consistent, and comes and goes. There may be no steering wheel vibration at, say at 65 mph, then it will start to vibrate for awhile, then disappear again. Those who have experienced steering wheel vibration is this similar to your experience, or do youfeel the vibration all the time?

2. I believe some on this form have said that the steering wheel vibration is because of the tires. If it is the tires wouldn't the vibration happen all the time, versus coming and going?

3. For those who have put new tires on their Quest. Has anyone noticed if this steering wheel vibration has gone way since they put on new-non Goodyear tires?

Thanks
  • value911value911 Posts: 15
    Well let's start with the A/C. I have opened up a complaint with Nissan about how inadequate the A/C is - even in the Midwest. I got so feed up between how little it cools and the brake problem I will note below, that I decided to test the A/C cooling levels of various vans - since I am at my wits end with this 2004 Quest and thinking of trading, but don't want to take a $9,000 depreciation hit in one year.

I took temperature readings from inside the vent and inside the passenger seat of each van - note the temperature reading in the vent will never be that cool in your seat. A/C folks have told me that you can expect a 20 degree difference between the vent and the actual temperature in the passenger seat. Well what you will see is that the Quest A/C just does not cut it.

My 2004 Quest and a Brand New 2005 Quest - 57 vent - 82 seat :lemon:
    Brand New 05 Sienna - 54 vent - 79 seat :surprise:
    Brand New 05 Odessy - 43 vent - 73 seat :)
    Brand New 05 Grand Caravan - 47 vent - 77 seat ;)

Well as you can see the Quest just can't keep it cool. The dealer said they put freon in mine, and it was within specs. Well the specs must be bad, because this vehicle does not cool in a midwest summer. (PS - If I had the money and could afford the trade in hit - the Honda is a no brainer - ride, looks and AC.) Nissan says they will talk to engineering and if I want something fixed on my dime go ahead. Obviously if a brand new one and mine cool the same(unacceptable), no changes will be forthcoming.

Brakes:

Well after 3 sets of rotors and and equal number of resurfacings, they think they found the problem - a caliper. Now they need to order the part and put on the 4th set of rotors at 27,000 miles. Unbelievable. When braking down a hill, thing shakes like an 11 year old watching a horror movie...

Slippage:

When picking up speed after slowing down(going from about 20 mph, building up speed) there is a noticeable slippage. Of course the dealer could not duplicate when they had it. Anyone else experience this?

Trade In:

I did talk trade in with the dealer, and they said they have heard plenty from the early 2004 model buyers. However, they are not doing anything special. Same deal as general public would get, and Nissan 1 hotline says they only help repair - will not assist with a retail purchase. And I thought my Ford Windstar was a POS. Nissan pretty much has lost this customer for any future business.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,344
    Vent temp for AC should be, as a rule, 48 degrees or less on any car.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• iyz408iyz408 Posts: 5
    I CANT BELIEVE SO MANY NISSAN QUESTS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS AS MINE ! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE . MY 1998 NISSAN QUEST HAS ALL DOORS THAT RATTLE LIKE CRAZY!! I JUST HAD NEW BRAKE PADS INSTALLED AND THEY SANDED OR DID SOMETHING SIMILAR TO MY ROTORS BUT AFTER 3 WEEKS THEY SQUEAK LIKE HELL AND GET LOUDER BEY THE DAY! THEN MY TRANSMISSION GIVES ME PROBLEMS AT FIRST IT FELT LIKE WHEN I REACHED SPEED IT WOULD PULL BACK A BIT AFTER 5 VISITS TO THE REPAIR SHOP AND HAVING DONE EVERYTHING FROM A TRANSMISSION TUNE UP TO A TRANSMISSION FLUSH BUT THEY CANT FIND THE PROBLEM WHEN DRIVING MY VAN JUMPS IT FEELS AS IF I RAN OVER SOMETHING!!!! WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??????? :lemon:
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    I have a 04' SL (Jan '04) with 22,000 miles. Had a family drive from NJ to Florida (2,500 miles in all). We are all still talking to each other. Here are some notes:

1) A/C worked fantastic. Had to keep shutting off the back as it got too cold. 95+F every day with 95% humidity.

2) DVD kept the kids entertained, even played my DVD from a DVD burner (DVD -RW)

3) Got 21.9 without Cruise Control. 22.5 with cruise control. Measered by calculation at each fill-up (200 - 250 miles each).

No rattles, squeks etc.

What a joy. Got the luggage for Five (3 adults, 2 children and toys into the van with no blockage of isles or rear window.

This was a lot better then I expected.
  • njdude101njdude101 Posts: 22
    I have 2005 S; Today I notice that there was little amount of flow of very hot heat was coming out from foot vent. I have turn on the fan, turn off the AC, and set fan at only at body (Not at foot), and from upper vent you get a good cool breeze (Of course, if its cool air from outside) but some how it was still blowing very hot air from foot vent even though it was not set up for foot at all.
    Does any one notice this problem with 2005 Quest, I know they had this type of problem with 2004.
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Posts: 74
    I could be wrong but I believe people have had this problem and found a fix for it. Change the fan to 'recirculate' as opposed to 'outside' (or whatever the other one is). Its a known design flaw and to my knowlege there is no know fix. Aditionally no dealer will really take it that seriously. Sorry if it's that much of a hassle, but thats the only way I know around it.

Let us know how it turns out. Of course you limit your fresh air options with recirc, but thats the solution as I know it.
    Glad to here you had a great road trip with your Quest. I too have had many enjoyable road trips in my Quest. I'm on one now ( in san Diego.) I'll share some
    of my experiences at another time. Did you experience any steering wheel vibration at highway speeds?
This discussion has been closed.