Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I'm not a lawyer, but sounds like you have a case. Call a lawyer and see what they say.

It's either a lemon law issue or Magnuson act
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    Adding to my list of discrepancies in Billy 8 posts ( message #1524) would be Billy8 has apparently moved from Alaska to the Midwest and become a Nissan Tech in the last 19 days.
    MrShiftright, our Host, will you kindly step in and do something about Billy8. He has clearly crossed the line in this post.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay, point well taken and DONE; however, it's also time for you to jump out of the arguments between these other two members.

SUGGESTIONS TO ALL:

1. Make your points/complaints and offer, or ask for solutions. Remember, people come here for information as well as discussion.

2. Try not to tell the same story too many times. This discourages new members from participating.

3. Don't respond to provocations. Let the hosts handle anything that you feel violates the forum rules. E-mail me.

thank you, and remember, you are here to enjoy yourselves!

Shifty the Host
    Your comments are appreciated and your points well taken. Thank you
    Hopefully we will not have any similar incidents like that here in the future.
    If, however, there are I will stay out of them.

Thanks again.
    Has anyone with an 04 Quest had a problem with a slow leak in their tires? I know their is a slow leak TSB for the 04 Quest. It involves a slow leak around the low tire pressure warning transmitter.

They say that a tire can lose 1 psi of pressure for every 10 degree drop in tempature. Yesterday the high temp was 98 degrees. I checked the cold tire pressure. I measured 32, 35, 35, 35. I brought the 32 up to 35. Temp this morning was 74 degrees. The tire pressure was 33(the one that I added air to yesterday),34, 34, 35. If the 1 psi to 10 degree temp drop holds true the drop in pressure in the tire in question would be normal, but the other tires are not experiencing the same drop in tire pressure. Lately the tire in question is always experiencing a greater drop in pressure than the others.

I have checked the tire and see no nails, screws, etc.
  • tom04se6sptom04se6sp Member Posts: 9
    I have had a slow leak since the beginning. My 04 Quest now has 34,000 miles. At first, the Nissan dealer said they couldn't find anything. At my last oil change/rotation, they did find a tiny leak that was too near the sidewall to fix -- so I just stick a few pounds of air in it every couple of weeks. I am wondering if that was my problem from day 1. Anyway, I'm planning on getting another 4000 miles or so out of these and then going with some new 235/60R16's with better treadwear.

Tom
  • sushi96720sushi96720 Member Posts: 12
    Are u referring to the body side molding? I have a 04 Quest, coral sand but with no black stripe.
    If it was installed by the factory, anything should come under the warranty unless the owner altered it or it was a result of an accident.
    If I were you I will take it down to the dealer. You have nothing to lose. All they can say is "no".
  • pinksockpinksock Member Posts: 1
    Hi pier,
    I have numbness in my hands also.It turned out to be carpal tunnel syndrome. I hope and pray you don't have this condition. Also I hope you bought the extenened warranty for your Quest. If you did what was the cost? I may need to purchase it for my Quest.
  • pierpier Member Posts: 79
    I agree and I apologize to everyone in the Forum if I have conducted myself indecorously. My issue with Nissan Consumer Affairs will be conducted off-line. The steering harmonic vibration persists after its third repair attempt that is my main issue.
    Hi pinksock

Nope. Anyone who drives the car feels the same effect (even the senior technician that took the car for a test drive). The vibration was reduced when the steering rack and the wheel assembly were worked on the vibration. You can actually see the steering wheel vibrating wildly at 65MPH.

My original 3 year warranty was extended to 5 years by Nissan. I purchased no extended warranty. Sometimes I think that the motivation behind this rather generous move was not customer goodwill but a statement to allay growing quality problem concerns.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    My guess is this was installed by the dealer after recieivng the van. simple way for them to make money. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it (or remove it, if you choose). Shouldn't be a problem.
  • rach98nrach98n Member Posts: 3
    I apologize if this gets long or if it repeats something talked about a while ago. I own a 2004 Quest SL. Frankly, if I had it to do again, I would never buy this vehicle. I got screwed over by Nissan on the extended warranty issue and have a bad taste in my mouth about this vehicle all the way around (issues too numerous to mention). If I could get my husband to agree to get rid of it today, I would do it and take the loss on it.

However...on to today's problem... for about the past 2 months, I have had a problem getting the Quest to start. I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but when I turn the key I have to hold the key in the start position for a long time, or stop and try again, before it will start. The frustrating thing is it is completely random. It will be hard to start 5 times in a row, then start fine several times. If it's hard to start, and then you turn it off, it starts fine if you try again right away. Took it to the dealer who said the problem never happened for them in 39 starts. They said they tested everything they could think of...battery, starter, electrical, etc... I should say it doesn't ever NOT start, but it definitely does not start right.

I appreciate any suggestions about how to get the dealer to see the problem or what the problem could possibly be. Thanks in advance!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Does your owner's manual describe how to start the car? If so, I'm wondering if you are deviating from that. Some people, for instance, have a habit of working the gas pedal if the car doesn't start right away, which may be counterproductive. Also, does this problem occur both hot and cold, or only cold, or is it completely random in your estimation.

The reason I'm asking this is that when Party A claims a hard start problem and Party B claims 39 successful starts in a row, one has to suspect that A and B are not doing the same thing when starting the car OR, since you have no reason to lie to them, maybe B isn't being totally up front with you and they just don't have the time to address an elusive but real problem.
    Hi rach98n

I completely sympathize with you. More to the matter at hand...

You have to think of what environmental differences exist between your driving conditions and the workshop floor. Does this phenomenon occur mostly when the vehicle is hot? Is the car on an incline? You see what I'm getting at. In my experience technicians test when the car is cold and stored in a flat, clinical environment and do not approximate real-time driving conditions. Sometimes environmental differences such as heat, terrain, humidity can be deciding factors.

Two more suggestions. 1. Get the dealer test it with you present. Let the see how you engage the starting procedure. Keep coming back until it happens. Complex problems cannot be resolve in a single pass. 2. Try a different dealer as they do vary in attitude and problem-solving methodology.

Case in point: after the third repair attempt to a vibration issue, the service manager stated that a road test was done and the problem was now undetectable The odometer showed that 30 miles were expended during the repair. However, the problem resurfaced at 65MPH. I am going back to the dealer and going to insist that the service manager drive the car with me present.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Yes, there is a documented TSB for hard starting on the 2004's. I had the same issue, took it in and they replaced the fuel pump per the TSB #04021. Look on nissan help.com, click "ownership" at the top, then "Bulletins" on the left, then Quest, 2004.

I also noticed a TSB # 04038 for slow tire leak.

EVERYONE should go to the nissanhelp site and see if there is anything there to help them with their vehicles.
    My 2004 had several issues (roof leak, door wouldn't close, warped rotors), but all were worked out so overall, I'm pleased with the vehicle. However, I will try to avoid first new model year vehicles in the future.
  • rach98nrach98n Member Posts: 3
    You guys are so awesome! Thanks for the quick responses...especially for the pointer to the TSB.

I live in Texas, so the problem has mostly been happening when it's very hot. It is so completely random. Some mornings...hard start. Some mornings...no problem. Same conditions. Re, the dealer, they first tried to start it after it sat for 2 hours. Given the randomness, I'm not surprised they didn't see it. Then if they started it 39 times in a row, it won't happen that way. It has to sit before it hard starts.

I greatly appreciate the responses!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    How could there be a TSB for a slow tire leak. :confuse:
    They accidently design the tire with a hole in it? :surprise:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I worked for Dunlop Tires and actually, that's more common that you think. The real puzzlement is why Nissan chose to go with only one OE tire supplier. They simply cannot put Goodyear under pressure to build a better tire if Goodyear does not have competition. Usually a motor manufacturer plays various suppliers against each other to ensure good quality and best price. What would happen to their Quest production line if Goodyear shut down? Does anyone know of an alternate brand (without changing the size).
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I think the slow leak TSB is because of the o-ring gasket inside the tire where the tire pressure monitor mounts. The TPM requires a different rim with a bigger hole for the valve stem. So it's technologically advanced, different than before, and therefore has had some startup issues. Oh the joys of progress.............gg
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    Hey all. Someone mentioned earlier about their father installing vented bembro brakes on their Quest. I think this would be great but I havent seen them available or the Quest - anyone have a link or suggestion?

Also, would this void the warranty if you went aftermarket parts?

Thanks!
  • vger105vger105 Member Posts: 57
    Good news for you: we had exactly the same situation with our 2004 Quest SE.; random hard starting which could not be duplicated by the dealer. Sunday it refused to start at all, and it had to be towed to the dealer.
    Today I received a call from the service department; the fuel pump and a related module had to be replaced.
    Somwhere I had read that Nissan was having problems with the fuel pumps on the 2004 Quests, but I can't quite recall where I read that.
    Anyway, our Quest will be ready tomorrow and I should have more detailed info if it would be helpful to you.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    My 04 Quest SL had experienced starting problem in the first year. My wife and I have experienced it on seperate occasions. I would put the key in, turn to start and hold to crank (waiting for it to start but it doesn't). You can hear the starter turning but no combustion. The second time is always the charm and works. This happened about 5 times in the first year but has not happened since.
  • ruffestimatesruffestimates Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 04 Quest SL for over a year and a half and have been pretty satisfied so far with it. Right now though we are unable to play a CD because we can't get the previous CD to eject (it makes a reasonably loud clicking noise when eject is hit). Has anyone else ran into this issue? We do not have the 6 CD changer, just the single.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    FYI -
    I haven't had any problems, and don't see where/how others would. Anyone here see a problem with this? I'm just wondering 'what' is happening. - Mark

:confuse:

In another newly upgraded investigation, NHTSA is trying to determine whether there is a safety defect in the release lever for the second-row seat in 2004 Nissan Quest minivans. More than 65,000 of the vehicles are in service.

NHTSA says it and Nissan have reports of 11 injuries to people's hands after using the lever. The agency says Nissan has changed the handle's design twice during production.

The current handle is larger than previous ones. It has a cup-shaped design, into which fingers fit. Nissan North America Inc. says no injuries have been reported from the latest version of the handle.
  • codechimpcodechimp Member Posts: 3
    I have an '05 Quest SL with the Skyview Package, that we are very satisfied with, so far? We did not buy the factory DVD as the $2500 price tag seemed a little out of line. I have looked at on-line sites to purchase the equipment separately and it adds up to around $1000 depending on what you want to do. Has anyone installed these themselves? If so, is the van prewired for the screens? Can anyone recommend specific parts? and has anyone had this done by, say Tweeter or the likes? Any information would be greatly appreciated, as this will probably be #1 on our's and our son's Christmas list.
    :)
    In the Niisan Quest 04+ forum, post # 1827, I discuss some headrest dvd options that I think are worth considering.

Good Luck
  • mwokesmwokes Member Posts: 10
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. When you pull up the tire pressure monitor on the information screen, which tires corrolate with the numbers on the screen? Is the first number the left front, then left rear, right front, right rear? I guess it could be any combination. I looked in the owners manuel but I can't find the answer-I probably overlooked it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    systematically let air out of your tires on one side of the vehicle and check the display.
    It was the fuel pump. The module was for the passenger-side mirror, which folds in upon starting the car.
    We have 37,500 miles on our '04 Quest and everything was covered under the extended warranty.
    I believe someone posted about a TSB for the fuel pump problem.
    Rejoice!
  • ruffestimatesruffestimates Member Posts: 2
    I think the order they are displayed corresponds to the transmitter in the wheel (and would therefore change when the tires are rotated). Having gotten two flats already, the order appears to me to have changed. (I could just be losing my mind though -- my wife has definitely not ruled that out).
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    When it comes from the factory, the order is FD-FP-RP-RD.
    F: Front
    R: Rear
    D: Driver side
    P: Passenger side

I saw it somewhere...
  • moonkidmoonkid Member Posts: 6
    Hi about the DVD. I made a little cabnet that fits between the front seats. Inside the cabnet is dvd,etc plus a dvd player.($200). PUT THE dvd PLAYER ON TOP OF THE CABNET AND THERE YOU WATCH IT. It also has a table that folds out. the table is big enough to hold a laptop, or to play cards on. Pretty cool all for about $50 in wood. $250 for the $1500 they requested for the dvd player installed I could have bought 7 DVD players, or three laptops or a bunch of stuff. The DVD player can be removed to take on a plane trip, or to watch in the house. Big improvement and save bocoBucks
    Don
    The Audiovox portable DVD player (7" wide-screen), that we bought a few years ago for $349, is now selling for $99 at PC Richards (here on Long Island, NY).
    I assume the price is similar elsewhere.
    Best Buy, also in the NYC area, has a cool setup for suspending a DVD player between the front seats for the second row passengers, along with a plug-in inverter. That cost us $80 two years ago.
    The setup works like a charm for our 21 month-old.
    $99 + $80= 179.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I had the same question and actually found the answer in the manual---they're random.
  • rcaviatorrcaviator Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if this is in this discussion somewhere and I couldn't find it. I have a 15 month old 2004 Quest. I have started getting flat tire warnings after it runs for a bit and takes a reading. The pressure read out says one of the tires reads "00". Then, sometimes quite a while later, it it shuts off the warning and the indicator says 33-35 psi. I stop and shut off the car and when I use it again, it starts all over again. As soon as it gets a reading it thinks there is 00 psi in the tire. Since this has repeated multiple times without putting any air in the tire, I doubt that it is a leak.

Anybody else experience this? Is there anything that can interfere with the tire presseure sensors?
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    My guess is one of your tire pressure monitor sensor is defective. You should have your dealer look at it and fix it under warranty.
  • july2004questjuly2004quest Member Posts: 9
    Have anyone see sludge at the tip of their oil dipstick? We do on our 2004 Quest. We are at 35k mi. and we change the oil every 3750 mi.
    never seen sludge on the dipstick. I would have your mechanic check it out next time. Your Quest is under warranty until 60k miles.
  • mamaofimamaofi Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else having transmission problems? I have had intermittent trouble getting power when going up hill or getting onto the highway. It feels like I am in neutral, and I have to step all the way down on the gas to finally get up to speed. If I try to go uphill from a standing position, the transmission locks up. I have to put it in reverse to get a running start to get up the hill. The problem only happens occassionally, though, and, of course, never when I take it to the dealer. Any thoughts?
  • bahaughtbahaught Member Posts: 1
    I have a convertible top that leaked. I think the car was stored with wet carpets and mold has grown on the leather seats and may be in the carpets. I have cleaned the visible mold and treated the leather with leather conditioner but the mold returns. Is there a method of cleaning the mold or do I have to replace the carpets and leather seats?
    I have previously reported a harmonic vibration felt through the steering wheel on my 04 Quest S. Over long distances, the shaking causes numbness of the hands. The dealer has attempted to resolve the problem three time before ultimately declaring that this is the normal operating condition of the vehicle. I believe that this is completely unacceptable. This is a log of what was done to resolve the issue:

Month 22 in service: 28-Jun-05 @ 29,972 miles - Replaced all four Goodyear Eagle LS 225/65R16 tires as per dealer recommendation. Reason: worn. (Part# OETIR-06482). This is when the shimmy effect became obvious. The problem was reported to the dealer.

Month 23 in service: 15-Aug-05 @ 32,305 miles - Re balanced all 4 tires. No effect.

Month 23 in service: 22-Aug-05 @ 32,727 miles - Replaced front two tires. Tires road force balanced. No effect.

Month 24 in service: 7-Sep-05 @ 33,101 miles - Re balanced all wheels and checked road force. Checked front hub runout. Adjusted steering rack force. Cleaned all mating surfaces between hub and rotor and rotor and wheel. Dealer claims road tested OK. No effect.

Month 25 in service: 28-Sep-05 @ 33,985 miles - Road test. Dealer states normal operating condition for vehicle.

Comments, anyone? Should I report this to NHTSA? I have reported the issue to Nissan Consumer Affairs but they are backing the dealer. I spoke to a Mercedes Benz technical specialist. He recommends road force balancing when the tires are hot. Sounds like a tire quality problem to me
    Wjat brand of tires did you replace the originals with? Were they the same Goodyears? Also there is no mention of doing an alignment. Has one been done?

I'm approaching 31k on my 2004 Quest and need to change the tires before winter hits. I will not replace with the Eagle LS. Most likely move up to 235/60 where there are many more choices of tires at a much better price. I'm not sold that these are all that great.

You may want to ask the dealer if they are wiling to try a new brand of tires.

Worth a try.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I think I'm going to to try the Michelin HydroEdge in 215/65 x16
    Originals replaced with the same brand. Currently there is only one brand of tire with that size - the Goodyear Eagle LS2. Would changing the profile size of the tire not affect the gearing as well as the TCS mechanism? Also would using a tire size that is out of OE spec not void the warranty?

Believe me, I would love to get ANY other tire. If there are no adverse effects I would go for it.
    Going to a narrower tread width will probably lower the rolling resistance of the tire and increase your fuel efficiency. In some cases, a narrower tire tends to drive better in the snow because of its lower displacement (imagine a cane versus a barge). The HydroEdge is ranked as one of the top 5 tires according to some surveys I have read.

Caveat. I would check with the dealer what the effect is on your warranty, gearing and TCS - especially the safety related issues. I worked for Dunlop Tires. In every case, we always dissuaded a customer from changing from an OE size. The car was designed with that tire as input for the suspension, steering, ABS and traction control. Adding a different tire size may have unknown effects.
    I had a similar problem at around 30K miles. An electronic transmission module was found to be faulty and replaced by the dealer under warranty. What does your dealer say?
    I think it would only void the warranty if you changed diameter sizing. the issue is the tire size they selected is an odd size and there are no other tires available except the Eagle LS. I highly doubt they picked this size because of any special handling or safety issues.

I was at a tire store last weekend getting the tire rotated on another vehicle. I checked available for 225/65 ( of course, nothing). I mentioned the 215/70 or 235/60. His only "concern" with the 215/70 is the narrower size may be frowned upon during the annual inspection. Plenty of options in the 235/60 size.

I did post a message on the "Ask Connor at Tire Rack" forum in the Tires section back in August. He responded with a coupel of options. Check it out.

The best thing to do is either call the dealer or Nissan customer service to check on the sizes. Considering Nissan offers 17 inch tires on the Quest, I can't believe a slightly wider or narrower tire would adversely affect the driving characterstics of the van.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    The HydroEdge is not narrower - and has a higher weight capacity. Check the specs on tread width versus the OEM tire. Rolling diameter is less than 2% different.

Even if it was narrower, it would be 10mm - 0.4". If you want to go to 235/60, knock yourselvs out. Stock tread is 27.1" in diameter. HydroEdge 215/65x16 is 26.9. HydroEdge 235/60x16 is also 26.9" in diameter.

Please, someone explain to me how installing four tires of the same diameter will have any impact on TCS, which uses the ABS wheel speed sensors.

Given that no tire manufacturer recommends a tire of standard size for the Quest - including Goodyear - I think the dealers are going to have to be a bit flexible on this matter. If they notice, would would be astonishing.
  • ktfellktfell Member Posts: 1
    I had a factory DVD player in my 2004 Quest. The cup holder is positioned directly across from the DVD player. Recently a large coke spilled into the player, destroying it. Nissan will charge 1477.00 to replace the part! I am hoping to find a replacement from a totaled Quest or something. Please help.
    Would you believe it? My Quest has the same problem as you experienced again! After having mine repaired by changing the AT module at 30K, it is re-occuring. What did you do to have your issue repaired?

All this on top of the harmonic vibration problem. Not to mention the car is staring to fishtail all over the place after a wheel alignment.
This discussion has been closed.