Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

1363738394042»

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I think someone discussed this problem a while back. It's a common problem with the Quests.

The thing you have to consider is do you want them ripping open the dash to replace the clock that will still run fast? Or can you live with arriving at your destination 2-3 minutes ahead of time?
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    I've noticed that the ngine air filter on our '04 gets dirty unusually fast. Our driving conditions are not dirty at all. At the rate it gets dirty, I figure it would need replacement on a quarterly basis. At $10 a pop from the dealer for an air filter, I've decided to try the Fram Air Hog ($43). Cleaning this filter 4 times a year will have it paid for itself in just over a year. We'll see if this filter affects gas mileage.

Has anyone else observed this issue with their engine air filter, especially those who are getting poor gas mileage?
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    Well went to the dealer today, and the service guy first said they need couple hours to diagnose. After waiting for half an hour, the service advisor told me the mechanic set the clock to their "SYSTEM" clock and ask that I come back in 2 weeks and see how much it changed. If it's outside the Nissan spec, then they will replace the clock. I will be back in 2 weeks and see what they have to say.
    Yes, the filter in teh Quest gets dirty very quickly and that's because the air inlet is right below the hood. As long as you are moving forward, you will be sucking in everthing that comes your way.

Last year, I ended up replacing it with a K&N filter (33-2031-2) which is good forever. You don't need to wash & oil 4 times a year. Just periodically remove it and tap the dirt out. With the K&N, you can probably just do a wash&oil once a year.

By the way, our filter is the same one used on MANY other nissan cars.
    Fram Air Hog is quite similar (if not owned by) to K&N, so maybe all I'd need to do is tap it out like you do. I just couldn't believe the buildup of bugs & dirt on my 'new' dealer filter after only 3 weeks of typical driving!

Interesting that this filter is used on many Nissans. It makes sense now that the filter was available in Air Hog and K&N. They're not available for everything.

How has your gas mileage been since going with the K&N?
    It's not going to really change your gas mileage. I am driving it like normal - don't notice any better or worst.

Here is the K&N website for our filter:
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2031-2

Here is just a sample of all the Nissan cars using the same filter (there is more earlier models but don't want to do this massive post):

2006 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.2L L4 DSL - All

2006 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.0L L4 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN SENTRA 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN SENTRA 1.8L L4 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN QUEST 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN MURANO 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN MAXIMA 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN ALTIMA 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2006 NISSAN 350Z 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2006 INFINITI FX35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.2L L4 DSL - All

2005 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.0L L4 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN TERRANO LL 2.4L L4 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN SENTRA 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN SENTRA 1.8L L4 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN QUEST 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN MURANO 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN MAXIMA 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN ALTIMA 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2005 NISSAN 350Z 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2005 INFINITI FX35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN XTERRA 3.3L V6 F/I - S/C

2004 NISSAN XTERRA 3.3L V6 F/I - exc. S/C

2004 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.2L L4 DSL - All

2004 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.0L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN TERRANO LL 2.4L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN SENTRA 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN SENTRA 1.8L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN QUEST 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN PRIMERA 2.2L L4 DSL - All

2004 NISSAN PRIMERA 1.8L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN PATHFINDER 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN MURANO 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN MAXIMA 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN MAXIMA 3.0L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN MAXIMA 2.0L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN FRONTIER 3.3L V6 F/I - S/C

2004 NISSAN FRONTIER 3.3L V6 F/I - exc. S/C

2004 NISSAN ALTIMA 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA TINO 2.2L L4 DSL - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA TINO 2.0L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA TINO 1.8L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA TINO 1.5L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA 2.2L L4 DSL - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA 2.0L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA 1.8L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN ALMERA 1.5L L4 F/I - All

2004 NISSAN 350Z 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 INFINITI I35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2004 INFINITI FX35 3.5L V6 F/I - All
    We've got 66,000 miles on our '04. I just got a great deal on some Quaker State synthetic oil. Has anyone tried synthetic in their Quest?
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    We're using Mobil I. I never use Quaker State, though.
  • garycoxgarycox Member Posts: 59
    The clock on my quest also keeps running fast. They may state it is normal but the clock in my 2002 Ford Ranger has been running for at least a year without having to set the time. The quest seems to go about 3 months and I start noticing several minutes ahead.

... Gary
    Sounds like the same story with my 2004 Quest. I had an alighnment, tires vibrated, they said tired were defective, replaced them ($$$), vibration continued so they cross rotated the tires, vibration continued. Vibration also while braking. After multiple visits to the dealership and an involvement from Nissan Corporate offices the vibration is gone, it's as smooth as the day I bought it, I'm just out of pocked some $$$. They said that they rebalanced them and turned the rotors (4th or 5th time).

So far I've gone about 3,500 miles and it's held up so far, perhaps the begining sign of vibration while braking again. The weather is cooler and I'm taking it very easy on the brakes. I suspect with cooler weather perhaps the brakes won't warp the rotors so soon again? I'm taking a trip to the mountains soon so we'll see how they hold up on a trip or if it will be back at the dealer for warped rotors again.

I had looked into the Lemon Law myself. It doesn't look like it's something easy to win because of the money you have to pay to take it court and then what you would end up with. It's all in favor of the manufacturer.

... Gary
    Anyone experience this problem? I had 3/4 tank of gas and filled it up this morning. I filled it all the way up but the gas gage didn't move. I turned the vehicle off and back on and still it showed 3/4 tank. As a drove it it slowly started moving upward to reflect that it was full.

What's the deal? I seem to recall some issue where if you fill up when it is near full it doesn't react correctly?

... Gary
  • july2004questjuly2004quest Member Posts: 9
    I had this happen once since July 2004. It was when gas was nearly $3.00 a gallon and my tank was on E. After paying over $50, I drove away and thought, "@#$%, the gas station ripped me off and filled up my tank with air instead of gas!" As I drove back to the station in a huff, I noticed that the needle creep up ever so slightly and thought, instead, "@#$%, I've got warranty work to do on my Quest." After another 10 mi. of driving, the gauge read: F. The problem hasn't reoccurred since.

Still Not Happy About My Quest Clock,

July2004Q
  • tjshantjshan Member Posts: 28
    We absolutely love our 06 Quest. With only 6000 miles since we bought it in May we have gone on a few long distance trips, packed more goodies then I could ever seem to get in my full size Dodge pickup, and hauled the kids too preshcool for a month now. Garage saling is a breeze!

So far I have only 3 issues with the van.

1. Slight, very slight possible vibration I feel under mild acceleration. I actually feel it in my right foot, and hear a change of tone in the car. It is hard to reproduce, and my wife says I am crazy...but then I drive with the radio off and listen to whats going on around me...she has muppett sing-along or something on for the kids. This next oil change I am actually going to subject myself to the dreaded dealer service and see if they can ID the mystery. I will keep you all appraised.

2. Took me awhile to figure out why everytime I got in the drivers seat the seat back felt straight up. The natural motion of getting in the seat my but or thigh or pant leg hits the seatback lever for just a second. Very annoying.

3. Boy this van catches bugs...and rocks and anything else you may drive within 200 yards of. Has anyone ever tried one of those Invisible paint protector/plastic bra sheets. There is a guy on ebay selling precut kits for $20 or so. Seems too cheap to be good but you never know. Any feedback on these would be super

Thats about it really, I still love the look, and feel of being in a van/non van. My wife thinks I am nuts when I wave to other Quest drivers...they probably think so too.

Tom
    06 Quest SE
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Good to hear from others with a positive story! We too love our 2004 Quest SE.

Yes, your right about the bug catcher bumper. I too have wondered about the invisible paint protector. I didn't try it because I was afraid that it would prevent the paint from faiding at the same rate (over time, of course).

I have also noticed that there is a lot of debris caught in the air filter box, like leaves, and bugs.

Mark
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I have an 04 Quest SL and have had a clear bra on it for 2 and half years. It covers all of the front bumper and lower grill, 3/4's of the hood and the side mirrors. It is a great product. I wash it and wax it just like rest of the paint. You can hardly tell it is there. It doesn't fade the paint and can easily be removed if I wanted. Some bugs take a bit of elbow grease to scrubbing to get off, but 2 and half years later and the front of my Quest still looks great with no paint chips or scratches.
    I had it installed at a car detail shop that I use. It was $450.00 back then and took them about 2 hours. I don't know what the price would be now. $20.00 seems a bit low.
    I definitely recommend looking into it. I also read they can cut and put this product in the cups of the door handles were rings and fingernails scratch the paint. My wife loves wearing lots of rings and the door handle cups have become scratched. Fortunately our Quest is silver, so it isn't as noticeable.
  • mlm9mlm9 Member Posts: 1
    I used to own a 2004 Nissan Quest. I encountered just about all the possible problems anyone could possibly have with any vehicle. I can't believe my trade in, a 1993 Nissan Maxima, and my 2004 Quest were actually manufactured by the same company. How a company could produce 2 vehicles that span the entire spectrum of quality is beyond belief, but that was over an 11 year period and ownership changed from Japan based to France based. After a brutal 2 and a half years I put an end to the misery and traded it in for a perfect 2006 Toyota RAV4. It's a little smaller but have only had to change the oil in the first 9 months of ownership.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    And here we have another new poster - a single post in fact - who has had a PERFECTLY horrible experience with a Quest - but has a perfect experience with a Toyota.

I'm starting to think there is one person behind all these vague but uniformly negative posts.....
    Every internet forum will get a certain number of trolls.

We're PERFECTLY happy with our EARLY BUILD '04 Quest. We've stayed up to date on the recalls and necessary TSBs, now sitting at 66,000 miles on our 3.5 Liter engine that has won Ward's 10 best engines award many years in a row.

Troll neutralized with this POSITIVE post. :shades:
  • july2004questjuly2004quest Member Posts: 9
    Though my handle says july2004quest, it's an absent-minded mistake -- we're actually a july2003quest. In other words, probably one the first 1000 off the production line and most likely one of the first 20 in Northern Calif. We, too, are happy with our Quest and would buy again.

No Regrets,

july2003quest
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    I bought mine in Sep 2003 and been keeping up with all the recalls. I can't say that I am NOT happy with the van. I drove my friend's 2005 Sienna and Odyssey and prefer mine over Sienna and Odyssey is actually nicer than mine. Maybe the early built new Quest had better quality??
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    I have the same problem and had the dealer check that out. They couldn't find anything wrong but ever since the clock is making good time??? Go figure. :)
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    You may have noticed that we're moving toward smaller, more focused discussions, and a number of those have already been created for this vehicle (e.g., tire issues, starting/stalling problems). Please go to the top level of the board here and look for an existing discussion that fits your question or issue. If you don't see a suitable topic, please feel free to create one. Here's a link: Nissan Quest

Clicking "Track This Group" will make sure that you don't miss any new posts or discussions. When you come back the next time, just click on "Read New Posts" and you'll be able to click through all new posts and topics in this board.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

This discussion has been closed.