Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Nissan
This discussion is for everyone who would like to describe Nissan Quest 2004 problems. In case of accident with injuries, car detail breakdown or flaw, any other serious problem with your car, please go to NHTSA address http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill complaint form. This way NHTSA will request answer from manufacturer. And makers will fix problems soon, and increase quality of great, nice and new Nissan Quest 2004+.

Comments

• st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    Guys, I know that Quest 2004 just came on market, and it's probably too soon to talk about flaws. But after 2-6 months in this message board we will see how good is quality of this car.
  • thequestthequest Member Posts: 11
    In the first week of ownership I have had trouble getting key to the lock position after parking the vehicle. Work-around is to depress brake, shift out of park and then back to park. Then key moves to lock position and can be removed. Will see dealer this week about that.
  • iserumiserum Member Posts: 15
    It happened once only, the car was in park position, no sound from radio or CD I tried every thing, played with radio controls nothing happened. I restarted the van every thing was back to normal, Sound was OK from Radio, never happened again, i am curious if this happened to someone else, over all I have not encountered any problems, as this is first year production vehicle I am expecting there will be some glitches (04 sienna has lots of problem and a recall also) so far so good. I am very impressed with the handling of the van, I am still in Engine break in period once I complete it, we are planning for longer trip,
  • revracerrevracer Member Posts: 15
    Took delivery about 2 weeks ago. We did have a small issue with the panel on the rear quarter above the sliding door channel coming loose. They have ordered new clips to hold the panel in. Unfortunately, this put a very small scratch in the paint on the rear quarter, but it is concealed and will easily touch up.

There may also be some rattles from the storage compartments overhead (where the LCD would normally go) where the doors rattle with a hard bump.

The driver's seat lumbar adjustment does not appear to stay in the engaged position and springs back. I can probably live with this issue as I really don't want to have them tear apart the seat for something we hardly use. The standard position has a considerable amount of lumbar.

All things considered, these are rather small items for a unit on the first delivery to our local dealers.
  • quest0804quest0804 Member Posts: 18
    We bought 04 Quest 6 weeks ago and since then we have noticed that after driving the van for 10 or more mins, if we stop and start again we started getting warm to hot air (Depending on outside temp) from the front air vents. The only way to cool it by turning on A/C. It feels like we turned on the heater. The rear vent is fine.

Has anyone experienced this?
  • park3850park3850 Member Posts: 10
    On the first day of driving the van to work and letting in set out in the sun all day the AC gave me problems.
    AC on auto. Ran great for about 3 minutes then the blowers stopped. After about 2 or 3 minutes they started blowing again but only of about a 1 count. Did that 2 more times. On the 4th restart it stayed on and worked as advertised.
    The display indicated everything was working fine but I was have a melt-down. It was hot and I was hotter because of the newness of the van.
    Same problem the next day after work (Friday).
    Hasn't done it again but it was much cooler Monday.
    Naturally I couldn't duplicate the problem at the dealers as it wasn't out in the heat all day. Plan to take it in Thursday morning and have them check it in the afternoon.

Anyone else have this problem or know of any tech bulletins? HELP!!
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    you will feel different. This is the design way that a lot Nissan behave like this. At least my 1997 Nissan Altima acts like this.
  • hrlhrl Member Posts: 1
    Quest0804, is yours an SE model too with Auto Climate Control?

In my case, 04' Quest SE with the Auto Climate Control: Hot-air issue first discovered for me by a friend who drives an E-Class Benz that also has auto climate control. According to him, the cold-air + hot-air mixing to correct temperature should be done internally...not cold air from top vents and hot air from lower vents...thereby achieving the mixing in the passenger compartment!!!

What I hate about this issue is that the Auto Climate Control is heating my shoe/feet (especially my right-side) and chilling my face/head (Is Nissan's Auto Climate Control designed to achieve desired tempearture by mixing on the front passengers?). At this time, I have disable the AUTO climate mode and run on A/C with temperatures set to 68 degrees F with both front-upper & front-lower vents open to get cold air at both levels. The story behind this is as below.

This is what I did.
    (1) Read the manuals. Did not find much details on the specific controls that SE models comes with except general definitions. Most operation details are for S & SL models.

(2) Spend next 7 days to play with different settings to see if I can somehow figure which settings cause the annoying hot air from the front lower vents. Any/all AUTO modes except when the temperature settings (driver & passenger) are at (settable minimum of) 60 degrees F. Noted that front-lower vents will still have a slow flow (leak?/faulty parts?) of hot air when these lower vents are supposed to be closed (upper-vents only mode).

(3) Call 800 Nissan...speak to cust rep...takes my VIN and records my concern...advises me to get an inspection/repair at dealership service department.

(4) Took the problem to my dealer...demo to my salesman...salesman see my point and agree...takes me to service department & helps me with service appointment...wait for appointment day...on appointment day, technician unable to reproduce problem...I take technician for a 10 minutes ride on state highway, demo the hot air issue...once back, technician helps me seek next appointment for an "A" technician (most experienced)...comeback next appointment, leave behind my Quest SE for the day (dealership rents me a car as loaner)...1st day "A" technician investigates...see the problem...escalates with Nissan technical support...by end of 2nd day, Nissan technical support tells him that it is per design...3rd day, service department is unable to proceed further and closes case...I go back to my salesman...we both check out another brand new Quest SE...find the same problem...yes now it starts to look like design issue to me.

(5) Get home...find a hand written Nissan card asking about my climate control issue (follow up to my call in step (3) above). Wants to know the outcome of my visit to service department at my dealership. Card also has this rep's direct extension number and my file number.

To be continued...
  • st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    I have 2 vehicles. Maxima 99 and Ody 2003.
    Maxima99:
    Even without climate control has wors ac system I saw. Unable to cool air from beginning in 5-10 minutes, unable to cool intake air during hot day if used with faster fan speed. Also without ac, during ride in mid cool day it's bursting warm air for 10 min from vent, after car was parked in shaded area(engine heat).
    Odyssey 2003:
    No any vent/AC/Climate control problems. Performs like swiss watch. If you say 69 at sunny, hot day, after 1min you will enjoy it.
    I am getting this without a/c. It takes long time to get cool air. I called Nissan and they said, they are aware of this and working on the problem. I have been asked to wait till they get a fix. The rear vents are working fine. I don't find any issue when I turn on A/c.
  • nganti1nganti1 Member Posts: 2
    We recently got a 2004 Quest SE. I notice that when I start driving it, for the first 5-10 minutes, when I accelarate, the engine sounds as though there is a drag on it (very noticeable between 20-30 mph, around 2000 rpm). Is this a common feature? I have not yet called the dealership.
  • xjbuilderxjbuilder Member Posts: 19
    I guess this fits under problems. I started looking at winter tires today for the new Quest, now that the snow season is upon us in Colorado (well, the High Country anyway). And guess what? Nobody makes the tire size that is on the Quest.

It is a 225/65/16, which means that the tire is 225 millimeters wide, the sidewall height is 65% of the tread width, and the rim is 16", for a total diameter of 27.5". These specs translate into a SUV size tire, but not in this exact configuration. Apparently Nissan had Goodyear develop this size just for the Quest, in the form of Eagle LS2 tires. These are nice enough, but they are all season touring tires and won't cut it in the snow.

A possible replacement is the 215/70/16 size, but it is slightly taller (and narrower) than the 225/65/70 at about 28" in diameter. This is only about a half inch in diameter, and a quarter inch in radius (which is what matters), but I wonder what the tolerance of the various computer systems that would be affected by a tire size change might be.

Something to think about if you are buying a minivan and need snow tires immediately.

Nay
    xjbuilder, although not the exact size, the Michelin Arctic-Alpin will get you within .2" diameter at 27.3" using a 215/65QR16. Never tried these tires myself, but they seemed to get decent reviews. I also just noticed that you can get a "free" JVC/DVD player if you buy 4. While their give aways are not bad products, it would be nice if you could just get a better price.
  • david1jdavid1j Member Posts: 6
    I've had my SE for 2+ months now. The burning hot air blowing on your feet when the AC is on still drives me nuts. service had it for a day before telling me that's the way it's supposed to work. Not happy at all.

My big problem is the AM radio. There has been a loose connection to the AM antenna of some sort, causing horrible shorts & weird sounds when listening to AM. It's been at the dealer for 4 days w/o a resolution. The 1st day they said it was the radio. Ordered a new radio. When it came in, it was the wrong radio. said they would reorder. After a week, said they wouldn't reorder because they thought it was a wiring problem (my original suggestion). spent 3 days in service this time. Got it back and it worked right for about 3 weeks. problem started again. Have been waiting for over a week for an idea of what to do next. Am getting very frustrated.

Drives great though. Love the engine & transmission.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    We took our first test drive this past weekend and my wife noticed it immediately and was very annoyed. it was hot outside and we had the a/c on, but still lots of hot air from floor vents. I hope Nissan take this seriously and fixes it soon. I hope quest0804 got an honest answer from Nissan that they are working to fix it.
    I had called Nissan regarding hot air issue. They are still working on it. I have not got any update on this yet.

If other experience this issue please call Nissan not your dealer. Dealer will say that how it will work because they don't seem to understand the issue right. Hot air could blow for few second if it is hot outside not for 1/2 hr. That is not acceptable to me. If that is the case why the rear end vents are still blowing cool air. I guess this could be fixed by Nissan. I would expect Nissan to communicate to their service centers and give honest reply to customers.
    I have SL. We did experience it once. I took it to the dealer and they don't find any issue. It happend again. But now seems fine.

One this we observed is if you keep your gas pedals all the way up (not down) then it seems to work fine. If you keep it down then I feel the drag. Try this and see if it works better.
  • quest2k4quest2k4 Member Posts: 3
    The 3.5 SE Quest with automatic climate control DOES have a problem with hot air blowing from the lower front vents.

I have verified this with anothers via forums like this one and with my dealer's service department.

Symptoms:
    outside temp 80
    inside set at 65
    upper duct 60-67
    lower floor duct 105-115

Solution:
    A fellow Quest owner with whom I emailed had the problem fixed by Nissan. It required a new heater system which requires the dash to be removed. He says its close to 100%. All new SE's will have the fix (no idea as of when).

Dealers & Nissan Area Service Reps
    The car simply too new and many have not had the problem reported. If you have the problem DO NOT let it be. Go and force your dealer to help.

My Story
    My dealer's service has been great. The minute they heard of the problem they asked that we bring the car asap. They were concerned that it was a safety issue. They gave us a Yukon (hate it) to drive while they investigate. Their inital test lead them to call Nissan. They got the standard answer "that is how it works". In the mean time a second van had the same problem. Our service manager said sorry Nissan that is not good enough. He forced the area Nissan service manager to come down the next day and they did the temperature test (listed above). The area service rep is now trying to find the solution. I did mention above that Nissan does have a fix, but this area's service rep has not heard of the problem or a solution. So he is researching. I expect to have an answer soon. I'll post again.
    Thanks quest2k4.
    I will call nissan and find out. They had given me a ref# few weeks ago and I was told Nissan is working on a fix.
    I have the same issue with SL but even without turning on A/c if the outside temp is 80 we get hot air through the vent. The rear end seems to work fine. The a/c doesn't cool the front driver/passenger row well.
    I called Nissan to get update on my Hot air problem.They say still working on a fix.

You had mentioned on the previous msg that you friend got it fixed.

Do you mind giving your friend's email to get more info on his fix?

Thanks
  • quest2k4quest2k4 Member Posts: 3
    Turns out the source that told me he had his Quest fixed emailed that what ever was done by his dealer did not work.

Lastest from Nissan.
    A fix will be available in six weeks. Look for a recall some time in mid-November.
  • jimincalifjimincalif Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if this problem specific to the models with the automatic temperature control, or has anyone noticed this problem on the "S" model with no ATC. We are close to buying the "S" model, but now want to check this out again. It sounds very annoying and maybe we should wait until Nissan finds the fix.
  • traveler707traveler707 Member Posts: 7
    Is this A/C problems suppose to be in all SE models or only on some of the models? I have a SE, but so far I don't think I have the problems described by others.
  • shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    What A/C problem?!? I drove 4 or 5 SL and SE Quests, here in humid, hot Atlanta. Some before this issue(?) was raised on this board, and others after it came up. Haven't seen one yet with this problem(?).

Picked up my new SE yesterday...put 120 miles on it the first day. Also, no A/C problem. Am leaving today for Florida (even MORE hot and humid). Will report on any evidence of this problem(?) when I get back on Thursday.

Oh...and about another complaint aired on this board. A few have griped that the Quest does not cool sufficiently. That is a totally subjective opinion, not a demonstrated fact. I have 3 highline Mercedes-Benz cars, in addition to this Quest (2 S-types and 1 E-type) and the Quest (a mini box-truck) can outcool any of them by a country mile.

So who's right on this issue? To each, his own... What a great vehicle!!
    I have SL and experiencing this issue without A/C. It takes about 30 min before the air starts cooling. It was 80 yesterday in Seattle and the van was blwoing hot air. When I turned on A/C it was better but the air was not cool enough.

There is no problem in the rear vents.
    has anyone getting whistle noise when you drive above 35 miles from your driver side rear view mirror? If I keep the window open I hear this loud. I asked the dealer he says the aerodynamic design causing this.

I didn't remember hearing this noise when I test drove other Quest Vans.
    I also notice a fairly loud whistle with the driver side window down. Also, when the sun roof shade is open I get a good amount of wind noise on the roof rack with everything else closed up. Not one of the quietest vehicles regarding wind.
  • shammond1shammond1 Member Posts: 15
    I have the SE for about 1.5 months now and never had the A/C hot air issue. But I do have 2 noises that drive me crazy. Nothing like a $39K rattle huh. First off there is a very annoying rattle like noise that sounds like it's coming from the column between the driver side slider and driver door. Not sure what it is. Then there is a clunking noise which sounds like it's coming from the passanger side rear wheel/axel area, mainly when the van goes over bumps. I love everything else about the van but I am one of those people that just can't ignore rattles. I think I drive my wife crazy because I am obsessed with the noises -lol. Anyway I have not found time to take it in but I don't expect them to find the source of these noises very easily and of course they probably won't happen when they drive them. Anyone else with these two things?
  • traveler707traveler707 Member Posts: 7
    I did hear a rattling noise also from the driver sliding door side. It took me a while to look, but finally I found that it was loose screw that was rolling around in the sliding tract of the door. You might need a flash light to see it and take it out. No problems after that.
    I will give the loose screw theory a try.
  • modena2904modena2904 Member Posts: 16
    We picked up our SE on Saturday.

We do not have any of the rattles that people have described. However, the car has developed a squeaking sound that comes from the overhead console. The squeaking sounds exactly like the sound that the overhead bins on an airliner make when in turbulence. I can stop the sound simply by pushing lightly with my hand on the console just in front of where the forward DVD screen is. Going to have the dealer look at it.

Our car also has the HVAC symptom that others have described. On a warm day with the a/c on, there is hot air coming out of the floor vents in the front. However, the volume of air is very low -- I wouldn't have ever noticed it if I weren't looking for it.

Other than these, the car has been fine -- currently at around 400 miles.
    I just picked up my Quest on Saturday, also. Got back today from a 1,300 mile trip. Did not notice any noise specifically from the mirrors, but the general character of the van is not that of a serene ride.

There is mucho wind and road noise at all highway speeds. Could be mirriors, roof rack, running boards, tires, insulation, or all of the above.

This is one of my main gripes at this point. You can't hold a decent conversation at speed. Nissan needs to work on this area.

But then again, this is my first van, so this may be a general characteristic of these refrigerators on wheels.

No problem with the A/C blowing anything other than what was requested from it. Much better climate control that either of my 3 Benzes.
  • boa35boa35 Member Posts: 21
    I bought my 3.5SL on 29 Aug. The same day, the fuse controlling all interior "room" lights either blew or was already blown. I put the 4-day old car in for service on 02 Sept 03; fuse was replaced and problem fixed...not!
    Tonight, 02 Oct, same problem occurred, no interior lights; assume the same cause, i.e., a blown fuse. But what is the root cause of the problem?? Anybody else experiencing this? I shot an email query off to Nissan tonight.
    And by the way, I haven't noticed the hot A/C problem but I have occasionally heard the unidentified "clunk" coming from somewhere in the rear--possibly only when the 3rd row seat is stowed in its well(?).
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    Iseram commented in post 2(?) that no sound was coming from the radio. We, too, have experienced the problem intermittently. The temporary fix we have discovered is turning off the car, waiting 10 seconds, and restarting. Fortunately, the problem occurs prior to actually starting the engine, so, when you turn the key once, wait a few seconds to make sure you have sound, then start her up.
    Yes, we brought it in to our dealer, they were unable to locate the problem. Fortunately, we had a recurrence in the neighborhood, and was able to bring it in with the radio sans volume. Of course, we are still at the "that's really weird" stage at the dealer, but at least they have witnessed it, and, thus, future customers will not have to prove they are not crazy! We do love the car, though, no rattles, heat from a/c, extremely quiet (easy conversation between first and third row seats at highway speeds). We're up to 1100 miles, made our first long trip, (4 hours each way), and still enjoyed getting back in the car. Whoops, should save my review for another discussion! Vince
  • boa35boa35 Member Posts: 21
    The dealer put in a new fuse this morning but this afternoon when the front passenger door was opened, it blew again. Scheduled all-day service on Tuesday to diagnose the problem. The offending fuse is, on the SL, the third up on the left, the so called “BCM ((Basic Control Module)) Battery Saver.” It reportedly protects a lot of “memory devices”(?). Who would have suspected that it also protects all interior “room” lights. Not many, including the service dept that took about a half-hour to find it the first time.
    While on the subject of fuses, good luck figuring out what most of them control--unless you're omniscient. The guide on the panel cover is basically gibberish.
    Didn’t hear back from Nissan today. I’m assuming they spent the day pondering my problem. ;-)
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    Shammond - I have a similar rattle - sounds like it is coming from the passenger side slider and only when I am going over real rough roads. This noise occurred when I test drove the van but it is not nearly as bad now. Maybe if I give it a little more time, it will stop completely. Rattles also get on my nerves.
         I also have like a road vibration noise in the instrument panel. This mainly occurs when I start out with cold tires. But, seems like when the tires are heated it disappears.
         The only other thing I have experienced is a slight vibration at 75MPH. Probably only a wheel balancing problem, I hope!
         I am at about 400 miles and who knows with a few more miles these things could be history.
         It's a great vehicle - I'm very pleased with it.
  • stevejudemstevejudem Member Posts: 9
    Just took delivery of Quest SE. I am experiencing an excessive amount of squeaks and rattles which seem to coming from the passenger slider, although I haven't been able to really isolate the variety of noises. One rather irritating noise is the sound of compressing plastic as the car accelerates and brakes, this in addition to rattling noises when hitting mild bumps. There may also be some noise coming from the overhead console area....again, too many to isolate. The left side of the car seems perfectly quiet. In my mind, this is not acceptable for a brand new vehicle of this calibre...car sounds like it has 100,000 miles on it. Waiting to hear back from the dealer for resolution.
    Yep! Got the same unwelcome visitors in my week old SE.

Are they some sort of no-cost option that Nissan generously added without asking us? If so, I'd like to know how to deactivate 'em, cause they're really annoying in a brand new car!!
  • ljeglljegl Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I bought a 2004 Quest SL in August. We love the new look and like the features offered in the new Quest. However, there is a problem. A whistling noise can be heard on our van around the driver side mirror while driving. It is very noticeable with the window down and can be heard with the window up. The Nissan Dealership has looked at it twice. The last time they looked into the problem, I asked if this was happening on other 2004 Quest. The Service Manager said he didn’t know but decided we would take one right off the lot to test. The same problem existed with the 2004 Quest we drove off the lot. I asked what I should do and was told I needed to call Nissan Consumer Affairs. I did make the call and was told the whistle was a normal characteristic of the 2004 Quest. I suggested it was a design flaw. The Customer Rep disagreed. During my communication with Consumer Affairs, they asked the Service Manager at the Dealership I bought my van from to drive others. He drove 6 more and they all made the whistle noise. The fix they have come up with is to put insulated tape in the space between the mirror and base of the mirror. I am unhappy with this fix and write this to make you aware of this problem. I do not feel taping should be a solution to something that cost as much as the Quest does. If you go test drive the 2004 Quest, be sure to listen for this whistle.
    For you that already own a 2004 Quest, call Nissan Consumer Affairs and file a complaint. They need to hear from us! I am doing everything I can to make people aware of this problem. I expect more than just tape....
    I had posted this a week ago.

I do get this noise a lot. I was told the same by my dealer. If you notice the position of passenger side mirror is in different angle than the driver side. May be if they can do the same angle for Drive side it might fix the issue. That means they have replace the entire mirror fixture (the black holder). Not sure if Nissan can do it.
  • pantrupantru Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2004 Quest SL which I bought 1.5 months back. I already have 2500 miles on it. The only noticeable problem that I have is RATTLING noises when you go even on a small bump. I think it is coming from either left or right sliding doors. Even I think it is not acceptable for a brand new vehicle. I feel as though I am driving an old vehicle because of these noises.

Can anything be done about it? Has anyone contacted dealer/Nissan consumer affairs? Please post if you have done so.
  • iserumiserum Member Posts: 15
    I have experienced the rattling coming from both sliding door when you hit a hard bump. there is a rattling noise comes out from driver side sliding door all the time if the road is uneven, I did not notice whistling problem (reflection on the wind screen) i don't know what is the solution to this, the angle of the wind screen is causing it though.
    I went to the dealership for rattling issue, they are not aware of the problem, they asked me to leave the van, they will tweak the door.

I will wait until Nissan issue a service bulletin for the issue so that dealership will not experiment with my vehicle.

I recommend to people to wait a bit until Nissan issues service Bulletin for these problems do not leave you car at the dealership for experiment.

Honda Odyssey had lot of problems with the doors in first couple years of production, not all but lot of people have problems with Odyssey sliding doors.

Check out 2004 Toyota Sienna problem page, you will not feel that bad then.
  • snoopy1010snoopy1010 Member Posts: 6
    I also have the problem of the rattling noise with my SE. It is in the driver side slider door. I have my SE about 2 weeks ago. I noticed the noise when I drove the SE back to home (which I did not notice the noise when I tested drove it?!). I dropped my SE to the dealer within the week to fix the problem, however, the dealer didn't fix it properly. I dropped my SE to the dealer last thursday and it seems that this time the problem has been fixed. The dealer told me that they
    had followed the Technical Service Bulletins (NTB03080) to examine the problem.

But when I drove my SE yesterday with all the windows closed and A/C off, I still heard the rattling noise from the driver side slider door.
    But it was less noticeable than before.

Based on the Technical Service Bulletins, I believe the dealer did find the source of the problem and Nissan knew the problem as well.

I guess all I can do is to bring my SE back to dealer next week and get the problem fix again.

Anyway, I love my SE very much but it is kind of hassle to my SE in and out the dealer for this problem.
  • eflimeeflime Member Posts: 5
    I've had the SE since late Aug. & have around 2,500 miles.
    I don't have the whistle, fuse, instrument panel rattling problems.
    I do have the hot air/AC problem & after about the first week I did notice a rattling sound around the second row passenger side. It happened when going over rough roads or going around a freeway on-ramp curve. At first I thought it was the sliding door, but after checking around the area (with somebody) else driving) it turned out to be seat. I think it may have to do with not latching the second row seat firmly, after either from folding it flat or tilting the whole seat forward. No problem with the rattle since then.
    Otherwise still enjoying the ride.
    I already posted that I have a clunk in the back (not me the car :) ) and the rattle on driver sliding door. I still need to take it in but one more thing about the slider noise. If you open up the driver door while driving (be careful! only need to go about 20mph on non busy street) the noise is more obvious. It has a more metalic sound. Anyway if and when I get it fixed I'll let you all know.
  • ljeglljegl Member Posts: 4
    I posted last week about the whistle noise. I didn't mention the rattle in the driver side slider door but we do have it also. Everyone needs to call Nissan Consumer Affairs about the issues. I feel Nissan will not get concerned about a reported problem until they get enough calls.
  • dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    Do you all think I was naive to think that any van would get 19 mpg in the city as the EPA sticker states? I have just gone over the Consumer Reports comparison and they all get abysmal city gas mileage. Similar to what I am getting(13-15 mpg)in the Quest. I don't even drive that many miles a week. This is on the computer that measures it. This is close to big SUV mpg, isn't it?
    I'm getting over 20 in the City, but it's 85% local Freeway vs only about 15% surface street miles. And even that's lower than I think it will be, cause I'm averaging 77 MPH according to the computer. Should be higher if I could bring my speed down some.

Are you traveling exclusively on surface streets, with all their stop and go lights? If so, that could be why your milage is so lousy.
  • dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    I drive about 9 miles a day, back and forth to work. Avg speed I would estimate 30mph with 3 stop lights and 3 stop signs along the way. I sure hope it gets a little better. I just sort of feel like I should have a hybrid with this van to balance it.
    No question about it Dogmom2, that's the kind of commute that hybrids thrive on. But there's no 4,200 pound van with a hybrid, just yet. Rumor has it that Toyota is planning a hybrid Sienna in '05 or '06. That will probably be what you need for this commute, assuming you can afford the price the dealers will likely put on that van.

I think your commute is the problem, more than the van. If I understand correctly, you travel 4.5 miles each way (9 miles total) with 6 stops each way. If so, you're barely warming up the engine and tranny, and you never get into the most efficient rev range or temperature for this type of engine.

Not only will your gas milage be lower, but your brakes will likely wear out sooner and you'll need more frequent oil changes to keep moisture out of the internals.

Any mechanically adept posters out there that can help Dogmom2 understand what she's up against in her mileage battle?
This discussion has been closed.