Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• trudyttrudyt Member Posts: 4
    Shenkcar,
    Please don't think that doors opening while the car is in motion and with my grandchildren in the back seat can in any way be considered "new model occurrences". Or that the door closing on me and bruising me can be written off as well. There appears to be no safety feature to stop the closing mechanism and the dealer has been unable to find any solution to these problem. This is after four visits, a fifth one is scheduled for this week. If you have a fix, please share it.
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    We still like the van, intermittent radio (like Judy), squeaks and all. Cold weather performance (in NY, where under 20 has been the norm for weeks) has been fine, car heat up fine. Doors will reopen with a blockage, but it takes a pretty good slam to do it...guess it only prevents serious injury.
    We have noticed, however, that tranny shifting from 1st to 2nd? (10-20 mph range) slams into gear, emitting a noticable clunk. Dealer was unable to duplicate it, and it didn't do it when my wife took the caqr out with the mechanic. Anyone notice this on their Quest?
    The more I look at the other vans, the more they look like vans to me... the Quest is unique (and surprisingly good on ice), just need to get a few things ironed out.
    Vince
  • frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    >the Quest is unique (and surprisingly good on ice)

I agree, we've had some very slippery conditions lately and the Quest has been surprisingly good on ice. Maybe it's the weight of the van.
  • golden_sgolden_s Member Posts: 19
    For those of you who think your Quest is bad, try looking at the posts for the new Toyota Sienna, you'll probably feel better afterwards. I've had my Quest (S) since the first week of Oct and have never had any problems except for the rattling side doors(so does the Sienna) which was temporarily fixed when I brought it to the dealer where they adjusted it. I also tried shenkar's advice of using WD-40 and it worked, although I want to repeat the procedure. It's true I don't have power sliders and auto climate or large sunroofs, but my Quest has been very dependable(I live in Jersey City where we have terrible potholes)both as a daily commuter and as a family hauler on weekends.
  • vonbillvonbill Member Posts: 7
    Re: Post #400, samy_ca; I assume when you state that the washer did not work that you
    mean that the windshield washers are inadequate as on my Quest. I have posted earlier on
    this problem which has not been fixed. The dealer first replaced the nozzles--no change.
    Nissan then sent a whole new cowl with nozzles--no change. Recently, Nissan sent a
    more powerful pump which the dealer installed on another Quest--no improvement. I
    suggest that others with this problem file an official complaint with NHTSA (nhtsa.gov) as
    I have because this is a serious safety problem.

Re posts 400, 408: It does take a long time to get heat from the front, floor vents. Also
    the air flow is considerably less than that from my '93 Villager. We just completed a 2-
    week, 3000-mile skiing trip in the Rockies. Because temperatures were mild and we had
    sunshine every day, the car always became comfortable after 15-20 minutes of driving.
    Whether the car will heat sufficiently on cloudy, below zero days is still to be determined.

In all other respects the Quest performed flawlessly in the mountains. Compared with the
    Villager, the 240 horsepower (150 in the villager) was greatly appreciated
    in mountain passes. Except for the terrible windshield washers, we really like this van.
  • shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    trudyt, there was no intention on my part to trivialize your experiences. They certainly sound serious, if I understand you correctly. My point was that situations like yours are the rare exception, not the general rule, and similar "freak" occurences can be noted in most any make of car (or in any other man-made product, for that matter).

I sincerely hope they fix your van for eliminate your problems. Good Luck.

golden_s, I'm glad the WD silenced you rattles as well. Seems like most people who tried it (but not all) got some relief. I've squirted mine twice in the last 4 months. That's not bad at all.
  • dwmeldwmel Member Posts: 6
    trudyt, I have a 2004 Quest, and I have all the problems you have with my Quest except for transmission problem. I don't thing the problems are a rare exception. I get the same response from service dept. and Nissan as you. I'm in the process of trying to get Nissan to repurchase the van under S.C. lemon law.
    dwmel@lycos.com
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    I too am looking at the S model because I dont need (cant afford) the frills on the higher versions. I also wonder about the various problems people are having and whether they are mitigated by having less complicated parts (no power door, no automatic climate control).

So golden_s, we have had pretty cold weather in the NE recently, how has your S model handled heating up from the floor vents?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I live in eastern PA and own a Nissan Quest S. We haven't seen temperatures above freezing since the holidays. I haven't had a problem with the heat. I think people forget that you are heating a minivan not a car. A lot of heat gets lost in the rear and it takes time for the hot air to warm up all that cold air. Plus if you have your rear heater on, it will take a little longer.

I have an 200 Olds Intrigue with 60k miles on it. This vehicle heats faster then the minivan but there is one third the space in that car then in the van. Also I would make sure your A/C is not on.
  • bad1550bad1550 Member Posts: 27
    I agree that the van would take longer to heat up but on my SL I just would like the front Floor heaters to be more effective! It seems its not blowing out hard enough?
  • samy_casamy_ca Member Posts: 5
    The dealer has tested the output airflow and temperature from the floor vent and they say it is within acceptable margin. They advised to plug the block heater to speed up heating. This is made sense especially with -30 to -20 C. One good news, they have managed to fix the door, Initially they have ordered the wrong control unit for my model "SE”. So, I am going to pick the car today and I will post the correct parts.

The windshield washer is not adequate specially when you are driving on the Highway. This is could be due to the fact that the nozzle hidden under the hood and the washer strike the glass with low angle (i.e. bad design) . I will follow up with Nissan, since I have filed a complaint with The Consumer affair in Ontario about the whole matter.
  • trudyttrudyt Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 1995 Quest and never had any problems with it which is why we purchased the 2004 model. The heating system doesn't compare; the older model provided more than adequate heat.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    We purchased the SL 1/6/04. On 1/7 i had problems closing the driver's door, kept popping open, and the radio cut out twice (weather was about 5 deg F). I brought the car in on 1/9/04 - I am foolish becuase I could have walked away from it at this point, in NJ there is a 72-hour walk-away rule. I have had problematic first year cars before.

For the radio I was shown a TSB showing the the replacement of the AM antennae wiring is the fix, even though audio for all functions is out. The door has not acted up again. On 1/15 the passenger power sliding door would not stay closed (sub-zero), and the radio quit while it was in with the dealer, before he did any work.

Dealer now says the solution is to replace the entire radio, replace the locking mechanism (latch) for the sliding door and that the overhead console switches are faulty, replacing them as well. I had to 'acvtively debate, with Nissan Cust. [non-]assistance - Angie - to be provided a rental car for the 8 days my car would be in the shop until new latches were installed. This is a serious safety issue, which they reluctantly did.

The radio has been replaced as well as the door latch mechanism, which I did learn from Nissan has been re-designed - they did not mean to tell me this, the console switches have been replaced as well as the radio. I got the car back on 1/22.

Last night (1/31) the radio cut out again so I drove it to the dealership so they can see the problem for themselves, as service was closed I dragged the sales rep out.

This will be the second repair. If the radio fails again after the next 'fix' I qualify for the NJ Lemon Law and am [preparing the paperwork now. No person should ever except shoddy design as a reason for failure. I urge each of you to report the door problems, as well as all the others to the NTHSA. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ If you do not report it to the overseeing federal organization how can the problem be escalated.

Hoping that Nissan will respond to ad hoc customer complaints is the equivalent of asking a 16-year old boy how far he thinks he should go on a first date and then being surprised by the answer. We spend a lot of money on these vehicles and deserve a solid car.

For NY Lemon Law info visit http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp.htm

BTW I have noticed problems with the under performance of the windshield washer sprayer as well. I will be following on this with the dealer as well.
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    We solved the slow heating problem by putting heat to 90 degrees and putting system in recirculating air mode. Fans almost double in speed. Sounds like a tornado but effective. We find that front defrost and floor heat mode provides lots of heat. As for back controls, at first we do max airflow and max heat. Van gets hot much faster. New problem was driver door leaking cold air at top rear. Muscle power bending frame in slightly at leak area solved problem.

Van handles superbly in snow and ice, only passenger slider popping back open in cold weather is discouraging.
  • mama10mama10 Member Posts: 10
    went to nissan today to do a final test drive and buy an se but salesman was unable to get a single quest to start. here in north ca it was a nippy 30+- degrees. it reminded me of some of the posts i've seen recently and makes me wonder why nissan is taking so long to rectify probs.how the heck do they expect to sell a vehicle that won't even start?
  • laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    Nissan has never been exceptional in heating. My sister had a Nissan from the late 80's that was slow to heat. My 1997 Pathfinder barely provides enough heat at max when below 0 F. It's tolerable, but I wish they would do better.

The posts above have me scared to commit to a Quest. I live in central Wisconsin and we haven't seen 32 F in three weeks and below 0 F (most -10F or lower) just about every night.

Ironically, problems with the passenger side sliding rear door reported above was apparent in our test drive of a 3.5SL, which took place when the temperature was about 2 F with -35F wind chill. It would not go all the way back and reversed on itself. Dealer said it was ice in the track - I think not since car was very clean on outside. My wife and I decided then and there to opt for the no frills 3.5S - if we went through with a purchase.

Couldn't tell if the heat was an issue because salesperson seemed to want to warm it up for what seemed forever for the test drive, seemingly stalling on the showroom floor to buy time. Maybe he knew about the slow heating and wanted to hide it.

All of the above makes me think about waiting until late summer to see if they can solve the heat/wiper issues.

laundryguy
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    Really? That is incredible! How many of them that wouldn't start?
  • mama10mama10 Member Posts: 10
    I chose two to compare but after 30 minutes of failed jump start attempts the salesman suggested we wait inside where it was warm while he tried other quests. After another 30 min he came in looking for a mgr. and we said forget it we're leaving. He replied I don't blame you! Since we waited inside I'm not sure how many he tried to start but I do know there were two of them with jumpers so I assume it was quite a few. Too bad I really like the quest but getting stranded with 4 kids is not my idea of fun.
  • golden_sgolden_s Member Posts: 19
    About the heat, I use my Quest to commute to work which is about 4 miles ( or 20 min., lots of stoplights) from my house. If I want to use the heater right away, I put it in recirculating mode and wait for the engine temp to read 1 bar less than middle(normal operating temp), which means I have already driven about 5-8 minutes however, even with the recent arctic blast, I would wait for the engine temp to get to the middle before turning on the heater in fresh air mode and this after driving for about 12-15 minutes . In the weekends when the whole family goes out for longer drives, you will feel the kind of heat that hurts your eyes and dries up your nose after driving for about 30 minutes (vent position pointing to feet for front and temp set to max heat, rear set to max heat) afterwhich I adjust the temperature to a more comfortable level. One of the reasons I got the S was because I could manually set and control the interior climate, I don't like the a/c compressor going on in the middle of winter unless I have to defog the windshield.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    It was below zero for a few couple days in Central Illinois and we didn't have any problems starting our van at all, odd that a several wouldn't start in 30 degree weather. We did have a problem with a tire losing air pressure - the tire store guy said that is somewhat common with alloy rims and he resealed it - not looking forward to having that happen on the other three tires, we shall see. The tire pressure gauge light won't come off now but the tire pressures seem fine when we check the maintenance button.
  • green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 14
    Several posters here mentioned the problem of door won’t close in cold weather. I encountered the same occasion this morning from the driver side door. We had a snow last night and the temperature was below frozen point. The Quest started OK and I jumped in and drove to work. However, I found the door could not be closed…..

I pulled off and checked it out. I soon realized that the handler did not bounce back to the original position after I pulled it to open the car. I slightly push the handler back and the door closed!! No problem after that. I think this could be the one of the reasons some posters complained about the door. Make sure the handler bounced back right to the original position.
  • ron1027ron1027 Member Posts: 9
    Make sure to add enough air pressure to all of the tires to pring them up to at least 35 psi. Then drive at least about 1/2 mile- the tire pressure monitoring system will automatically reset and the low pressure light will go out. We had this happen twice when the temps got real cold and the tire pressure dropped below 28 psi. The tire pressure monitoring system warning light/alarm goes off when pressure drops 7 psi below the recommended 35 psi pressure.

Hope this helps.
  • dprestaykodprestayko Member Posts: 4
    I was surprised when I read some of the serious Quest complaints here...

www.mycarstats.com

btw: I have a SE with 6k miles on it. I had the auto-reversing door problem, but my dealer fixed it. No other major complaints (except the slight door rattle).
    Nissan Consumer Affairs and my dealer both suggested to utilize their TSB for the door rattle. It had it in (600 miles!) for a second fix of the radio. They replaced the unit once and are now going through all the connections for the system. (two strikes already) one more and I get a new Quest. On the NHTSA site it describes one person having a ground added to the radio which corrected the cut-out problem.

Makes sense as this could be a charge buildup that is tripping an internal radio system. Re starting the car brings the radio back.
  • revracerrevracer Member Posts: 15
    We picked up our Quest in September '03. The day after pickup, we had problems with the panel falling off above the slider track and the driver seat lumbar being broken.

Just a few weeks ago, we recieved a call that the parts are in. I can understand the slow supply channels with new car parts, but almost 4 months....

While we patiently waited, we developed the door rattle. My patience with rattles was slim so I tried a variation on the WD40 theme and added white litium grease to the lower latch and alignment device. So far no rattles, even on frozen roads in PA.

The van goes in for service on the other items Monday, do I tell them to look at the rattle or hope it is gone for good w/ grease? I hate the thought of them tearing something apart that could create more problems.

Heat and other items seem fine.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    thanks ron1027 - a couple of the tires are staying under 30 so we'll try that and see if the pressure will maintain
    I just brought my car in for the second radio failure (they replaced the unit at 225 miles). I am told that the problem stems from a voltage issue when starting the unit.

Two suggestions:
    1) Start the car slower; this would serve no purpose

2) Await a TSB due in "4-6 weeks" no time frame is specified. Nissan is faulting the design of the Clariion single-cd in dash unit. I am told this TSB will recommend switching the existing unit for a newly available unit. I would say that this qualifies the problem as widespread.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    My Quest also has the radio problem. It's definitely something to do with the amplifier circuit in the CD deck not switching on with ignition. My dealer supposedly have ordered a replacement deck and they say it takes 4 weeks!?!? They have no idea what would fix it, but taking a blind stab at this right now. I remember 2 other owners who posted on this forum and saying nothing was fixed even after the deck swap. Please let all of us know what the TSB states when it comes out.
    After much discussion with Greg in Customer Affairs I am told this is to be a new radio unit from Clarion to replace the current unit. Truthfully I am not very impressed with the track record from Nissan on this cars replacement part. As it may be some months before it is available the answer may be some time in coming. Nissan is at least acknowledging the design flaw.

They say that the unit should be stepping down the voltage at the ignition-start but it is not. Hence the suggestion to start the car slower.

The only solution I have found is to stop the car. Shut the car off and turn off any lights that are on (internal / external) then restart. Possible the restart is just as effective. As a friend of mine said, "So you basically reboot the car". I guess Microsoft joined Nissan's design team!

As a TSB is coming that requires the Manufacturer to provide a newly designed unit I would say this must be pretty endemic.
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    I know I have posted this before, but, yes, we have experienced the intermittent radio (no sound) problem and have not had it fixed. The radio was replaced, and all I got from that was a scratched up info center hood panel (replacement on order)
    Dealer has a volume control assembly on order for radio.

There is definitely a rattle from the left side, I have not tried WD40, dealer could not duplicate the problem.
    Most annoying problem, however, is the hard shifting of the tranny at low speed (usually from a full stop, 1st to second?)
    Very audible, noticeable clunk. I know I have 45,000 miles left on the tranny warranty, but it's not a pleasant sound. On my last trip of 70 miles to work, it seemed the engine was much noisier, whiningly maintaining speed. (acceleration was still good when I needed it, lots of merging traffic situations, van handles like a Maxima)
    This is a flawed vehicle, but I still recommend it!
    One day, my dealer may actually call me to say some parts are in!
    Vince
  • vonbillvonbill Member Posts: 7
    Persistent tire leakage was caused by a faulty tire-pressure sensor o-ring easily fixed by the dealer
    I just got my 2004 SL back today. Had the Radio replaced with a new designed Clarion - I am told that I am one of the first to get this to deal with the volume cut out (Amp gets shutdown). They also fixed my door rattle by adjusting the door latch (there is a TSB for this).
    I have the SL and had the Door Rattle adjusted a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be better except now but I have another rattle coming from the front area of the car (cannot pin point it yet).

Also I mentioned about my radio cutting out twice and they found no problem but today it happened a third time (Resolved when you restart the car.)

Still would like to get these issues resolved!
    I've noticed in the mornings after starting the van, that water drips from the tailpipe as i'm pulling out of the driveway.

Is this a problem or just normal condensation (it has been quite cold lately)?

TIA
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Very normal! You'll notice it more in the winter months when the air is colder and dryer, but it will happen in the summer months as well...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Natural chemistry of combustion. You get some water as a by product----more than you'd think from one gallon of gasoline.
    Your radio problem, Per Nissan, is due to the poor design of the single CD Clarion unit. They have a countermeasure radio which will be available via a TSB in about 4 weeks. If you raise enough Cain you get further up the list. I did and was moved up.

The only way I could get my radio back on was to completely shut off the car: no key in ignition, no lights (internal/external). Basically I had to reboot my car (Quest designed by Microsoft!)
  • wblevinwblevin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Town & Country now. The 2004 T&C does not have all the features that I would like- the 2005 does but eliminates the AWD. I am down to deciding between the Quest (which does not have AWD) or the Sienna. My T&C handles GREAT in the snow - no slipping or sliding even on hills. Choices are very limited for AWD now. Can anyone tell me how the Quest handles in the snow? Thanks.
  • unk5452unk5452 Member Posts: 1
    I bought '04 quest in sept,04. After two weeks i figured out that door makes noise, i took it to the dealer. They couldn't fix it & door still rattles. I waited 2 more weeks, & went again to fix it they said they talked to nissan engineer & fixed the door but it still rattles. I went there 3rd time they couldn't fix it. I called nissan consumer affair, they said take another opinion, go to another dealer. I did that. Another dealer couldn't fix it. Both rear door still rattles a lot. Can i really go for Lemon law in my case coz both dealers are now saying that they can't do anyhting. They did their best to improve the problem but they can't fix it. Really tired of door rattling & taking van to the dealer every month !!!!!!!!!!
    What model of 2004 Quest do you have and what doors rattle? The reason I ask is that I have a 2004 SL which I purchased in Sept 2003 and both of the sliding doors had very bad rattles and it took me nearly four months and three returns for them to eliminate the rattles. The technician who solved the problem worked with the technical people at Nissan and they found that the bolts in the door guides were too short. They replaced them with longer bolts and that eliminated the rattles. I hope this helps.
    Can anyone tell me how the Quest handles in the snow?

I've been driving mine around SW Pennsylvania for 3 months now. I'm plesantly surprised how well it handles in the snow/ice.

The built in TCS (Traction Control System) seems to compensate for wheel spin/slippage giving better traction when needed. Of course it could also be attributable to the overall weight of the van or the new 17" tires.
  • ronoboy2ronoboy2 Member Posts: 6
    This feature really doesn't work for us on our 2004 Quest S - once we get down to 1/4 tank the fuel guage goes down quickly, and we've had the Distance to Empty Indicator say 90 miles in the morning and literally read * (meaning 0) by evening after 10 miles of additional driving, at which point the fuel light goes on. Then when we fill up, the automatic shutoff for the dispenser usually shuts off at 15-16 gallons so presumably there were at least 4 gallons left in the 20+ gallon tank.

Anybody else have this problem, is this feature just basically unreliable or should I have it checked?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I wouldn't call it a problem. The fuel light comes on with 4-5 gallons left int he tank. The computer by default reads * when the fuel light goes on. It's in the manual.

Not sure why it can't be anymore accurate, but I'm sure it has to do with the shape of the fuel tank. I imagine the tank is wide and shallo so they can have the fold flat seats. just my two cents.
    I have a 2004 Quest SL built in Sept. (purchased in Jan). I had them fix my door problem -

Both manual and power sliding door were missing spaces. Bought it back a second time and they showed me a TSB stating that many of the latches are misplaced and need re-alignment. They did this last week. I then drove from NJ to Vermont and back (700 miles) without any rattles. I had threatened the Lemon law due to repeated problems with the radio and the door and got Nissan's attention in a hurry.
    My power sliding door (Passenger side) on my 2004 Quest SL closes right after I open it. This has occurred 3 times already and Im concerned for the safety of my child trying to get into the minivan. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what the resolution is?

Thanks,

Bob
    I also have a SL since Sept. 2003. Only recently has it closed immediately after opening (first and only time). I have been waiting for it to do it again before I take it to the dealer.
  • ksandquistksandquist Member Posts: 1
    I had to special order an SL model with leather and it has just arrived at the dealer. But reading the review on Edmunds about the 4 speed transmission I now have some concerns whether to buy the model with the 4 speed transmission. Has anyone had any problems or have any comments as to whether the 4 speed transmission is still OK?
  • green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 14
    IMHO the 4-speed transmission is good enough in Quest.

After driving the Quest S for more than 4 month, the engine speed and gear shift of my car are very stable now. I almost CAN NOT notice any gap between gears. One of the reasons is that the engineer runs at low speed (rpm) all the time, even during acceleration on highway. Quest engine has a speed @ 1800 rpm when cruising at 60 MPH, and speed is only 2200 rpm at 80 MPH. Fast acceleration is normally at 2400-2600 rpm (when merge on highway). This is the maximum engine speed I need during past 4 months. Compare with 2004 Sienna, new Quest has lower compression ratio thus you don’t need high grade gas for the same performance.

Unlike the sporty cars or 4-cyl cars, you need to use engine speed way above 3000 rpm to get the same fast acceleration or cruising at high speed (>75 MPH). Under that case, the 5-speed transmission is handy for better performance and resulting better gas mileage. The fact that 5-speed on Quest SE does not have better gas mileage than SL (actually 1 MPG less) may indicate the 4-speed transmission performs just as good as 5-speed.

Just my 2 cents.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    Plashenick - Do you know if the TSB is out now for the radio problem? I had my dealer order a new replacement radio for me over a month ago, and today they called saying it's in. I asked them whether this new radio has been modified to rectify the problem but the dealer hasn't a slightest clue about any Nissan TSB. I don't want them to replace the radio if it has the same problem. Can you find out from your dealer if the TSB is out and the reference number for this? Thanks!
  • nicklesnickles Member Posts: 41
    cirruss -
    the only Quest TSBs relating to the radio are numbers are 03113 and 03113a (both dated 12/2003).
    Using the boards TSB lookup for the Quest- LINK -
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?step=step4&- amp;year=2004&make=Nissan&model=Quest&style=3.5+SE+4d- r+Minivan+%283.5L+6cyl+5A%29&zip=85045&popup=current&- synpartner=edmunds&tid=edmunds...mnt.step2.9.Nissan

the TSBs elude to a problem with the AM not working..

AM ?? whats that ? :)

Unsure if it has anything to do with the recent posts about the unit itself shorting out etc...
    If someone has full access to these TSBs, perhaps they can post the text.

cheers!
This discussion has been closed.