Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX56

Comments

• qx56qx56 Member Posts: 69
    gabeqx56: Sorry, not logged onto FA in work.
    The answer is no. I was promised a copy of the mag., but nothing yet.
  • islandisland Member Posts: 2
    We have had our QX56 since May. The past three months we have noticed the same shaking problem. It is getting worse daily. I agree with the fact that the faster you are driving when you apply the brakes, the worse the shaking is. I was driving on the freeway and had to apply the brakes and felt like I almost lost control of the truck because the steering wheel almost shook out from my hands. We do not live by an Infiniti dealership, but we are planning on calling Infiniti tomorrow. I am wondering how many others have had this problem, and if it is correctable? Even thought I love this truck, this is a big enough problem for me to consider getting rid of it and not buying another Infiniti in the future.
  • azeriazeri Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody, I'm just about to get a QX56 and would realy appreciate comment about offroad experience anybody had.

P.S. If I would have found this forum earlier probably would not put down deposit for the car.
  • qxinlaqxinla Member Posts: 3
    We have had our QX56 since March, and it has been back to the dealer twice for this. It is the front brake rotors. Both times they re-tooled the rotors and replaced the brake pads. The service department has said this has been a VERY common problem. Hopefully, Infiniti has fixed the problem on recently manufactured vehicles. Other than that, we love our QX56. It seems to be a very easy fix; but, then again, we live very close to our Infiniti dealer.
  • tomptomp Member Posts: 5
    When will the '05 Q56's arrive
  • linkybolinkybo Member Posts: 10
    My QX56 has 7500 miles on it and I'd still buy it again, but there are a few things that definitely could be improved upon and should be considered when you're car shopping.
    I've got three kids and second row captain chairs. The third row isn't split so there is no room for cargo in the back. It's either stroller or groceries. Not both.
    The steering wheel doesn't telescope. You can adjust the pedals, so that helps.
    The headrests don't go forward. We didn't notice this when we test drove, but after you drive for a while you realize there is no way to comfortable rest your head back on the headrest. It needs to tilt forward.
    When you lock the windows from the drivers side so that the kids can't open their windows, it locks all the windows from the drivers control, too. If the driver wants to put down the passenger side window, you have to unlock the windows and then put it down.
    These are just a few annoyances that have shown up. The back window kept opening itself but that was fixed by my dealer, and the brakes have been replaced as other people have posted.
    Maybe some of these will be fixed with the next model.
  • lotustt1lotustt1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you please elaborate on 'new for 05' features and distinguish between what is now standard. also, where are u getting your information? do u work for infiniti?
    thanks
  • maizenbluemaizenblue Member Posts: 6
    We've had our QX56 since March. It's been to the dealer at least 10 times since then. Many rattles that only some have been fixed, others recurring (headliner, passenger door area, back cargo area). The brakes also had the pads & pin replaced, and rotors filed down twice. The dealer service is fine, but I feel like an unpaid employee of the service dept, as I am in there way too often for a new vehicle. I want to love this SUV, but am tired of the dealer visits and really SICK of the rattles. A vehicle of this caliber is not supposed to be this noisy. Where is the luxury in that? Also had the motor for automatic steering column and driver seat replaced. Back hatch window also had a motor/switch replaced as it liked to open by itself before this was fixed. Driver door had a squeak/rattle that a rep from Infiniti engineering looked at...seemed to be a common problem. I was told the doors and even roof areas were not secured with proper foam/insulation as engineers would like to have spec'd. My QX56 is 6 months old, 18,000 miles on it....like I said, I want to love this car, but I seriously question the "luxury" value of it when it rides like a noisy truck and has the afore-mentioned problems. I have an appt w/the dealer next week to "find" my rattle in headliner and to "fix" it....we'll see. They have been unable to "hear" it like I do (DAILY)...I guess I'll have to take them for a ride, my route, not theirs. They'll hear it, to be sure. Can anyone tell me if they've had as many problems with their QX as I have??? I'm feeling all alone on this one!
  • zonedzoned Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 2004 QX56 towards the end of June and about a month later got the odd cabin noise while driving over 40 mph and the back up sensor decided not to alert us to close obstacles (no sound). With about 3000 miles we took it in for it's first visit for resolution. The dealer had to replace the backup sensor and stated that there have been numerous complaints regarding this cabin noise that has yet to be determined and they were hoping come October to have some resolution from Infiniti.
    We're into October and they still haven't found the cabin noise problem, but on this second visit may have found the problem and it's getting louder. They think the noise is from the manifold and are currently replacing it so we'll let you know.
    The other issue is with the headlights in the auto mode. During the day in auto when driving under overpasses on the highway the lights will turn on immediately and turn off a short time later. On night drives the lights will just go off and then we have to turn the lights to manual and other cars think we are flashing them.
    In MD you can get a ticket for flashing lights as they take that as an aggresive driver posture. The dealer has finally agreed to replace the light sensor after we told them how to determine the problem.
    We haven't had the same problems as some of the owners have experienced, but none the less, none of us should have this problem with the money we spent. My wife is very disappointed and waiting to see if this repairs will take care of things. We had the '03 GMC Envoy that we loved and experienced no problems with through 20k miles, but wanted more seating space and also considered the '04 Lincoln Navigator.
    The dealer has been very supportive in our problems, but no problems with the vehicle is what will make us truly happy.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Details of the 2005 model can be found here;

http://www.infinitinews.com/infiniti/2005vehicles/qx56/glance.sht- ml
  • tomptomp Member Posts: 5
    when will they arrive?
    Not very encouraging to hear of "different" problems I might expect. Let's hope not. The QX56 is back at dealer today for headliner noise, passenger panel noise, etc. Looking to lemon law this vehicle if not able to fix these recurring problems. What a shame. Want to love this car. As mentioned...we shouldn't have to visit the dealer this often, even on a new model introduction, given the fact this is supposed to be a "luxury" model. You can bet there wouldn't be a sound but your own breath in a Lexus. What is the holdup with Infiniti getting this right?
  • kdubinwakdubinwa Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here with a question about the Nav display:
    Does the display flip from day mode to night mode automatically with the auto headlights function? It seems to me mine was working like that, but stopped and now I have to manually adjust the day or night mode w/ no help from the headlights turning on or off. Can anybody set me straight?

Thanks
  • wallydogwallydog Member Posts: 2
    I have been considering purchasing a 05 QX56, but after reading some of the submissions on forum, I am starting to get a little apprehensive. Has anybody heard if infiniti has fixed the Noise problem that seems to be a common issue with these machines?

I read that they sent several hundred engineers to the plant in an attempt to fix some of the problems, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation that anything was indeed fixed.

Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Am I crazy even considering buying this SUV with the number of problems that seem to be attached.

Thanks again.
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    I had the same problem with my Q45, and the dealer pointed out that it was still working properly, and I had inadvertently changed a setting which effected that.

It's probably similar on the QX, but if not check with the dealer.

On my Q45 there's a physical dashboard-light-intensity adjustment dial. When that setting is adjusted to the extreme in one direction (such that it clicks when it stops), the auto-day-night-switch for the Nav display reverts to manual. If this is the case, just back off that adjustment dial a bit.

Pete
    I’ve been considering buying a new QX56. A natural choice, since I want a big SUV, I love my 2003 Q45, and I loved the QX56 on the test drive.

However, I’ve read quite a bit about the problems here which, of course, are discouraging. Having read most of these threads, it occurs to me that it’s very hard to get a sense of how pervasive the issues really are: So I’ve created a little poll which could help all of us put things in perspective.

Please take this poll, but only if you have owned or leased a QX56.

Take the poll here: http://tinyurl.com/63p9f
    See the results here: http://tinyurl.com/6enc3

(Note: You can see the results for each of the questions by clicking on each of the items in the list on the left.)

Thanks very much for your help.
  • wallydogwallydog Member Posts: 2
    We are also thinking of getting a QX56 and are unsure due the problems reported. Thanks for the poll. Let us know what you decide and if you find any additional helpful info.

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's refrain from directing people to offsite polls. Obviously, it's not scientific and cannot provide you with any information you cannot ascertain from the opinions expressed here.

tidester, host
    Agreed its not scientific.

However I could not disagree more with the second part of your assertion. In fact it's hard to conceive of how you could possibly believe that yourself, short of serving some alternative agenda. Is there an Edmond's policy which you're attempting to apply?

The presumed purpose of this thread is to help inform each other about our experiences. This poll clearly advances that goal, and I'm absolutely distressed at your response.
    This poll clearly advances that goal...

It may advance your goals but it does not advance the goal of sharing information here! Let's move on.

tidester, host
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    Curious about third row leg room in QX56 versus Navigator. Was on verge of buying Sequoia a while back when I realized that my thighs are too long for its third row--knees end up wedged against the back of the second row seats, even with third row slid all the way back.
    Looked at QX56 and while I was inside the vehicle got engrossed by the cool navigation system. Forgot to sit in third row. I'm only 5'6" but have long legs, so if there are any owners or test drivers out there who have paid attention to the third row dimensions, please inform me about it.
    I am probably about to buy a Navigator because of all three rows being comfortable, but don't like its resale value and am getting frustrated about finding one in my city with all the options I want in any of the colors I prefer.
    Maybe the QX isn't so gawky after all. I do hate that the side mirrors aren't power and the third row seat isn't split.
    Please help me decide asap. By the way, I hate the Navigator forum. Apparently Navigator buyers and owners don't use Edmunds forums much. If I had a question about a Navigator I'd probably have to post it on a more active forum, or something. Maybe Navigator people are from a demographic that doesn't like to use internet forums, or something. Don't know...
    Have you considered a minivan?

tidester, host
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for asking. As a matter of fact, a minivan is a good vehicle for our family's needs. I know, because for the last twelve years I've driven nothing but white minivans. And, next year I'm going to get another minivan, because they are great for our most of our family's needs. But I'm probably NOT going to get it in white this time. I was going to let the SUV be white.
    And we need an SUV this year. I really don't like any of the choices available. What I'd really like is a Land Cruiser or a Lexus 470 if they had a decent third row. I know of no SUV with a decent third row except the Suburban and the Expedition/Navigator.
    I was hoping somebody with some first hand experience would tell me if I overlooked something about the Infiniti QX56's third row. Like, that it's got enough legroom for teenagers and adults who are of average to tall size. I read a comment somewhere that it's third row was problematic--but I'm not sure if it was the size of it or if it was the fact that it's not split.
    <<<<<
    We are also thinking of getting a QX56 and are unsure due the problems reported. Thanks for the poll. Let us know what you decide and if you find any additional helpful info.

Thanks
    >>>>>

Glad you find this poll valuable. Apparently our host disagrees.

At minimum, I'll be waiting for the 2005's, in the hope that they've made some progress in dealing with the factory problems. We'll be doing one more round of test drives, and I'll let you know what we decide.

Pete
  • linkybolinkybo Member Posts: 10
    I've got 8k miles now and I'm on my third set of brakes. Apparently they are only good for 4,000 miles. Under warranty,this means I drive a loaner for two days. After the warranty expires...then what?
    Anyone else having this problem?
  • rmd3003rmd3003 Member Posts: 21
    With 9000 miles on my car brakes were replaced once, headliner fixed (still shakes), rattles are everywhere, electronic glitches (memory seat, power windows). That's it so far. I only hope that powertrain has better build quality.
    Do I love my truck - yes and no.
    Would I buy it again - no, no, no
    My vehicle is back in the shop today to replace the XM radio (never worked properly on install), redo the brakes (3rd time at 20,000 miles) and hopefully replace the console area (eyeglass holder, temperature, etc) where loud, annoying rattle continues, despite SEVERAL attempts to fix at dealer. Beside that recurrence, there are rattles in passenger seat, and near back hatch area. Believe it or not, despite the number of miles ( I drive all over the state, and Eastern U.S), we take the utmost care of our vehicles...so I wouldn't want anyone to interpret that we just run the "crap" out of the car. Purchased at the end of March 2004, barely a year old, so I would expect nothing less than quiet luxury...but not so. Very disconcerting. Wish I had waited for the 2005, but wasn't in the market then...hope the dealer fixes this time, or I'm forced to lemon-law. I've had it.
    Good luck to all.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I test drove the Navigator and the QX's sister the Armada about two weeks ago. The Navigator has more leg room in the third row but not necessarily more head room. I'm 6'1" and my head hit the top of the Armada in the third row and the top of the Navigator too. Average size folks may not have a problem but anyone over 5'10" probably doesn't want to be in the back row of any one of these. Of course there's the Excursion which is more like a Greyhound bus.
  • lwhiteqx56lwhiteqx56 Member Posts: 3
    I just scheduled a 3rd brake repair service for my QX with 7300 miles on it! Not a happy consumer at this point... not to mention rear A/V and cruise control work only intermittently and I can't believe the miscellaneous interior rattles. Seems every couple thousand miles the wheel vibrates increasingly when braking and the car pulls. The first time (2300 miles), the front rotors were resurfaced and problem solved. But 2000 miles later they were replaced. My repair receipt reads "after resurfacing both front rotors still found excessive runout. Could not be resurfaced again (24MM). Replaced both.") I have talked to 2 other QX owners with the same issue and my service consultant has stated that this is a big problem. YIKES! Anyone have any permanent solutions or tips my dealer tech's haven't figured out yet?
    After reading all the posts RE: QX56 brake issues, I've done some research. Found out a mid-west lemon law attorney/firm has been doing similar research after receiving complaints from QX56 owners. I learned that there is a class action suit against Infiniti in CA, and one just opened in FL, for "premature brake pad and rotor wear" on the G35 model. Hummmmm... guess QX owners aren't alone.... good and bad, eh? I just tried to trade my QX in, and the Land Rover dealership is not interested!! YIKES.
    My sentiments exactly. Was just offered $38k on trade for my '04 QX with 7300 miles... sad story... I've never taken such a hit on a new car. I want to love this one too, but good grief it rattles and shakes, and the brake issue is unexcuseable. My 3rd brake job is scheduled for Monday 11/29, and I am contemplating lemon law as well. A stranger on the street asked me how I like my truck and I was stumped on how to answer.. yes and no is the best I could muster.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Class action lawyers are always on the lookout for potential suits since the fees can be very lucrative. You can easily find links to Kia Sephia, Mitsubishi Galant, Ford Focus, and Jeep Grand Cherokee class action suits for brake rotor problems. Some class actions get certified and lead to a settlement or judgment; others don't.

It's probably more fruitful to spend your time pushing the dealer or Infiniti Customer Service for a resolution unless you anticipate more from the class action than a teeny coupon. Fill out the paperwork if it gets certified, but keep pushing locally for a resolution.

Complaining to the NHTSA.org would be good too, since brakes are a safety issue.

Steve, Host
  • bainranchbainranch Member Posts: 3
    I two weeks ago purchased a 05 QX56. and have been on a few trips now. And i have to tell you, It is a sweet machine. I have been reading about the 04 from you , But the 05 is a revised edition, The brakes are bigger and better to correct the older version , And the head liner is new, I will let you know later, But now its the best comfort and ride.I've test driven all the others, Esclade, Navag, and even the Lexus, and am very happy about my pick. I was the first in spokane area to receive one
  • robertrobert Member Posts: 14
    Just want people to know. I also purchased a 2005 QX56 and was told the same about the brakes. I test drove 2 Armadas last summer (they were early production models still on the lot) and hated them. I drove a QX56 and Armada last week (both 2005) and it was night and day. I chose the 56 for the ride and just a bit quieter. My wife, who's more discerning than I am, liked both after not even wanting to test drive again. I think the 05's are much improved. And for that matter probably the late model 04's, but I was told the brakes were beefed for the 05's and you could tell by driving as the one's I tested prior felt like the brakes faded and were mushy for a vehicle that size. Now feels much different. Hope this helps someone....
  • swaysway Member Posts: 1
    Robert and those with brake issues...
    I brought the brake problem up with Infiniti hear in the bay area and was surprised to hear that the '05s did not receive a beefed up braking system, as some have stated. The Sales Mgr stated that he researched this per my request and found that there has been approximately 100 brake related issues. He said that in all cases, it was due to the drivers style of driving...aggressive and hard stops. For those that were told the braking system has been upgraded, were you shown any proof of this?
    For those with the brake issues, would you say your driving style could have caused the problem?
    I would think no matter how you drive, brakes shouldn't need replaced after 3k miles.

Finally, does anyone know where to find a list of the changes made to the 05s to correct these mechanical problems? The dealer stated many have been fixed, but could not produce a list of the modifications.
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    You are correct in stating that there was no brake upgrade. Nissan/Infiniti are aware of the Brake problems, and are set to implement a bigger brake caliper & rotor in early April 2005. This is the time that the line will start producing vehicles with the upgraded brakes. Then you will see a TSB for the thousands of owners of these and the Titans and Armadas. The engineers also found out that there was a problem with the proportioning valve in the Master cylinder, basically the fronts were doing to much of the braking. This has already been addressed, just waiting for the factory testing to conclude, and the suppliers to get ready for the thousands of rotors and calipers that will be needed once they go live with the upgrades. Hope this helps.
  • peteydogpeteydog Member Posts: 6
    what is a TSB? Will that mean if I own a QX56 I will be able to get the upgraded brakes and rotors when they come out? Would they charge or would this work similar to a recall and they would put them on for free?

thx for you help? Same prob fixed with master cylinder?
  • peteydogpeteydog Member Posts: 6
    An interesting FYI..it shows on the infiniti web site that the qx56 has a telecoping wheel, but i believe it does not....

interesting.

shows it on the comparison part
    An interesting FYI..it shows on the infiniti web site that the qx56 has a telecoping wheel, but i believe it does not....

Interesting ... perhaps someone else here knows for sure? Anyone?

tidester, host
    My 2004 QX56 does not and I don't see it as an option in it or the Armada or the Titan.
  • fparker1fparker1 Member Posts: 6
    Are there HID after market fog lights available for the QX56?
    Yes, there are HID convertions for fog lights and headlights of most model vehicles. Start with JC Whitney and work your way up.
  • bainranchbainranch Member Posts: 3
    I just wanted to know if anyone can help with the dark wood trim around the dash of the QX I would like to add some around the guages,and the window buttons, I still love my 2005 QX , No problems yet. Thanks, Jack
  • md_usermd_user Member Posts: 10
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Nissan sold 1993 QX56's in December. Sales target initially was 1300 per month. Looks like the vehicle is selling pretty well.
    Bainranch - Try www.burtmanindustries.com
  • starshinestarshine Member Posts: 2
    I am on the "puppy dog close" with a beautiful Onyx QX56. The test drive ended up in my driveway overnight!!! I love all of the features of the vehicle. I really like the spacious interior where my husband, who is 6'6" can actually sit without his knees touching the dash. However...I cannot get over the sheer size of this SUV. Can anyone tell me how long is the learning curve to park this SUPER SUV? Around here, I find that even my best effort to park leaves no more than about 5 inches inside of each parking line and not very much room to remove my 4 year old and soon to be delivered infant. I even went to my doctor's office building parking garage and attempted practicing the parking issue in 90 degree angle very narrow spots. Man...I barely had enough room to open the doors and exit the vehicle on a perfect park. Further, I don't want to get door dings on that beauty either!!! I am an excellent driver, but have NEVER had to make two or three attempts to park a vehicle or go around the block to find an adequate space!!! Any suggestions?

Also- I need a ballpark on what to expect the dealer to reduce his price from MSRP. I know that LUXURY car dealers and Foreign car companies love to talk MSRP less a few hundred...but I would like some insight on wiggle room from MSRP to INVOICE!!!

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME IN ADVANCE!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Infiniti QX56: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too. And try to focus on your out the door price instead of going up or down from the dealer's number.

Steve, Host