Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX56

Comments

• qx56qx56 Member Posts: 69
    I bought 1/2 oz of Krytox lube online and schmeared it on the weather stripping as per Service Bulletin Num : 05027
    Date of Bulletin: JUN 06, 2005. What a difference! All the little ambient ticks and clicks coming from the outer weather proofing have disappeared. I used it on my other two cars as well. A little goes a long way. ($32 for a 1/2 oz.)
  • badinfinitybadinfinity Member Posts: 21
    I have moved on to a better vehicle, but I feel obligated to let everyone that I can know what a dangerous vehicle they are driving with a QX. Besides the rotors failing 4 times, the booster failed (no brakes at all). Then the ABS failed and caused the skid control to take over the directional control (via selective application of the brakes). This has all been reported and documented with the National Transportation Safety Board and Infinity. Infinities feeble attempts to correct the problems are laughable.

What's funny is the vehicle doesn't stop when it is supposed to and stops when it is not supposed to.

I would not drive one of these death traps to the closest Walmart.

You move on DUDE, just don't tailgate me in that P.O.S.

P.S. I also love getting "RIPPED" for a $60,000 vehicle that apparently nobody bothered to check the BRAKES.
    You should never have to do that on a new $60,000 vehicle. Totally ridiculous, even more so that they would issue a service bulletin telling you to do it. :lemon:
  • linkybolinkybo Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone had any brake judder after the fix was installed? My "fix" was about 10,000 miles ago. I've noticed some shaking when I brake going down a hill and I dread even taking the QX to the dealer again.
    We had much worse problems than their cute little term called "brake judder" which is spin lingo for brake failure. If brakes fail to work for any reason, it is brake failure in my book. We had the vacuum booster (the power brake portion) of the entire brake system fail. That means you are trying to stop a 6,000 lb. vehicle without power assist! When your wife is 5'1" and 110 lbs. that is too much to ask! After the fixed that problem, then the AntiLock Brake system AND vehicle skid control failed. After that I SOLD THIS PIECE OF CRAP. Hopefully the new owner won't die. :lemon:
    You are going to need it. You are driving a very dangerous vehicle.
  • ndared1ndared1 Member Posts: 21
    I received a letter from Infiniti for purchasing a 2006 Q56 at invoice minus $5K. Soooooo, I took my 04 Q over to the local dealer and they indeed started the pricing negotiations out at exactly the offer and talk about deflateing my current car. The offer was terrible only $33K for my trade and finance the upside down part of it for another 6 years with adding about a hundred to my current payment. Well I will continue to drive my current Q as it has been good compared to most of them I have read about. Holding out for something exciting in 07 or 08 from any of the manufacturers, haven't seen nothing for 06. I will take a hard look at International MXT.
    Anyone else been tempted by this offer and care to share the normal stealer deals?
  • linkybolinkybo Member Posts: 10
    I wondered where the scam was going to be in that offer. Have you looked up the trade in value for your 04 Q? Were they really trying to rip you off, or has it just lost a most of it's value? And please don't tell me they said it's not worth much because of the brake issues!! Haha!
  • ndared1ndared1 Member Posts: 21
    I don't think they were trying to rip off anyone. That's pretty much the value in KBB, Edmunds, and Nada plus options :blush: . I did get them to better the deal but then told them I wasn't interested in starting over the depreciation again. Waiting to see the 07 interiors and 08 diesel option for the Q.
    I did try out an MB GL450, was a very nice SUV. But Benz wants about $19.5K more for the same equipped unit ;) . The GL450 is considered a full size but a little smaller than the Q and not much power out of the hole :( . I did notice that it is unibody and could hear the highway howl much more than in the Q (body on frame) :confuse: .
    Well I will wait until next MY at the earliest.
    By the way many 2006 Q's still had the old smaller front rotor and calipers. The newest ones built after about February had the larger rotors and calipers :P . So make sure and look at all 06 MY and compare the front brakes for the larger caliper and rotor (I think the new larger caliper is also aluminum compared to the smaller iron.
  • robertrobert Member Posts: 14
    Where did you purchase it from if you don't mind?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Infiniti QX56: Real World MPG discussion and report your mileage. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • subicboysubicboy Member Posts: 1
    This is directed to those of us who purchased a 2004 QX56.
    When they finally announced the new brake kits, I remember receiving a letter stating that not only would the warranty on the brake system be extended, but that the complimentary service, i.e. oil changes, tire rotation, would be extended for 12 months and 12K miles as well.
    Am I having a senior moment, or do I in fact remember this correctly?
  • tanker1tanker1 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to find out if you have had any luck with the lemon law and your QX56? I am having MAJOR problems w/ mine. ANy help or advice you could give would be great.
  • tanker1tanker1 Member Posts: 2
    any luck with the lemon law? I am having problems with my QX and wondering if anyone knew anything about infiniti having to buy them back.
  • zdonzdon Member Posts: 1
    I hope i'm wrong. But on many cars 1/3 'rd of the price, if you forget to lock your doors, and attempt to drive, the doors will automatically lock.I have a 2006 qx56 and the list of safety features is incredible, rear view advanced predictive braking the list goes on and on but.. HOW IN THE HECK DID THEY FORGET TO LOCK THE DOORS FOR YOU IF YOU FORGET!! MINIVANS HAVE THIS FEATURE OMG!!
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    Well, it depends on the way you look at it. It is a safety feature in the stand point that in an emergency you can open your doors from the inside in case the auto open/lock fails. Also, it is locked from the outside so someone cannot just open the door and get in.
  • scccckscccck Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an Infiniti QX56 in 2004 and obviously have an '04 model. I have taken it in 4 times for the brakes and for several other things like rear hatch door failure, navigation system etc. My parents and my brother all have one also and we all have trouble with them. Last resort we have opened a file with the BBB and are waiting for results (hopefully). Has anyone had any luck getting this company to do anything about these terrible vehicles? Please let me know if you have. We could all use the help. Thanks-
  • bigkev7000bigkev7000 Member Posts: 23
    Google Freshalloy. You should find what you need.
  • vanbentonvanbenton Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 QX56 with 22inch wheels that were on the vehicle on the showroom floor when I bought it. I have had nuisance problems, but whats killing me now is a vibration in the steering wheel at greater than 60MPH. I have 30,000 miles on the tires, (new 10/32 tread, I now have 8/32 tread) the vibrations started 2000 miles ago. The tires have been rotated, balanced, road forced and aligned. The problem remains. Any ideas?
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    Just wondering, as I like the styling, but scared off by the low reliability ratings. I have KIA now, and this sounds no better.
  • ekucharekuchar Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone share their XM radio experience in a 2006 QX?

I have a 2005 model with DEALER installed XM and I have the same poor reception (cutting out) problem that several other people have posted about. In my Audi and several GM vehicles, the XM radio is incredible. It even works in my garage. In the QX if a mosquito flys over the antenna, it cuts out. It is completely unusable. The dealer's response is that it is fine (same as other posts on this forum). I was wondering if they fixed the (non) problem in 2006 or maybe the FACTORY installed XM works better.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Has anyone here used their QX to tow more than 7000 lbs? How well did it tow this weight, and how did the auto leveling rear suspension handle the tongue weight? Did it keep the rear of the truck from sagging and prevent swaying? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    About 8400 lbs. is where I would guess the weight of my water trailer full. Its 875 gal (7100lbs) plus weight of trailer 1350 lbs. I never exceed a speed of 50 mph when the trailer if full of water. An absolute requirement to prevent sway is an equalizer hitch, without don't even think about the little air bags under the Q preventing sway.
    They do an excellent job of keeping everything on the level however. It took me a couple of trys to get the correct tension on the equalizer hitch but once right everything works great. The only thing I do notice is an increase in tranny temps but not more the two notches on the panel gage.
    I would expect on this type of vehicle the weak link over time will be the transfer case as it is not cooled. Mileage with a full trailer with air on is 9.5 mpg (tow mode)
    Motor, Boat, and Trailer 7500 lbs. I don't have any problem with leveling or sway. Keep in mind that sway control is balancing tongue weight against the trailer weight. Of coarse an equalizer hitch is the way to go.
    :lemon: I HAVE OWNED MANY, MANY HIGH END VEHICLES. THE QX56 IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST. IN MY OPINION IT IS UNSAFE TO DRIVE DUE TO NUMEROUS BRAKING PROBLEMS (NOT JUST THE ROTORS). IT IS NOISY, RATTLES, PARTS FALL OFF AND SUCKS GAS LIKE A PIG. STICK WITH AN SUV THAT WAS INVENTED BY AMERICANS FOR THE AMERICAN ROADS, LIKE A SUBURBAN (MADE ON THE SAME ASSEMBLY LINE SINCE 1936), YUKON OR ESCALADE. I TRADED MY QX ON AN 07 ESCALADE AND HAVE NOT REGRETTED A MOMENT OF QUIET COMFORTABLE AND SAFE DRIVING.
    Let it go badinfinity. We have all read your post and know how badly you were burned.
  • newvehiclenewvehicle Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone, who owns an 2006 Infinity QX56, pls let me know what is the Gross vehicle weight (GVWR) for their vehicle.
    The GVWR number can usually be found on an embossed label attached to the inside edge of the driver’s side door.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    The GVWR for my '04 4wd is 7099lbs. I don't think there is much differance from year to year (yet).
    I might add that I have carried 2,400lbs of ceramic tile about 10 miles one time. Seats all folded flat, spread the load out as flat as I could. The rear compressor pumped the QX almost level, and it was fine driving. I could feel the extra weight accelerating and turning, but no damage done.
    Hey, is this forum officially dead or what?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not officially. ;)

There's more action over in the Armada group, if you're willing to consider that one a twinned vehicle.
  • undecidedqxundecidedqx Member Posts: 3
    What do you mean that it is locked from the outside so someone cannot just open the door and get in? This has been exactly what has bugged me so much about the QX... that is, the doors don't lock so somebody really can just jump in.

Please explain.

Thanks!
  • kaitai69kaitai69 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if Infiniti put IPOD capability on the 07's?

Thanks
  • diminndiminn Member Posts: 1
    Not really, but I was told that if you have the drop down dvd instead of the headrest one, then you can plug your ipod into it in the center console. I'm currently looking at the '07 and I don't want the drop down dvd player. They are doing an after factory install for $350.
    The '08 does have it though.
  • infmaninfman Member Posts: 2
    You can have a IPOD hook up installed at the dealer that will not have anything to do with the DVD.
  • ellezellez Member Posts: 5
    We are torn between a Lexus SUV and the QX56. We would buy the QX56 now, but it does not have the Onstar or Lexus Link equivalent. Surprising to us.

Anyone have any idea if they are working on this, or will anytime soon? :shades:
  • ironmc01ironmc01 Member Posts: 1
    On the site it said that it was coming out April 2007 but its almost the end of April and nothing has showed up. What's going on?
  • gilligangilligan Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone figured out how to hang a clothes hanger in the cargo area? There are "cargo hooks" back there, which are not really suitable for a clothes hanger. A real pain...
  • cjaubertcjaubert Member Posts: 17
    I have searched and searched for a way to bypass or defeat or disconnect the new destination lock out of my nav system that prevents programming while the vehicle is moving. There HAS to be a way. Does anyone know about this? Thanks!
  • jjs4jjs4 Member Posts: 14
    The tech who showed me the hack for my Lexus LS 430 had no suggestions. A real pain. The dealers response id the 2008 qx which will have the voice recognition feature. Still not what we want!
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I test drove an '08 QX56 this evening. The brochure the salesperson gave us states that standard equipment on the truck includes a transmission temperature gauge, and Infiniti's website shows the same thing. That feature is of strong interest to us as we plan to do some heavy towing. However I couldn't find the gauge, and the salesperson pointed to what was obviously the engine oil pressure gauge. The 2008 owners manual available on line at infiniti-techinfo.com DOES NOT show the truck as having one (although the 2007 manual at the same website does shows one...the gauge cluster appears to have been changed for 2008). Are the brochure and Infiniti's website incorrect? If yes, of course it makes you wonder what other information they are publishing is wrong. Interestly the '08 Armada owners manual available on line at nissan-techinfo.com clearly shows the transmission temperature gauge included in the gauge cluster. That makes no sense at all...why would the Nissan version of the truck have the gauge, but not the Infiniti (at a much higher price)?
  • brad701brad701 Member Posts: 20
    Badinfinity, after reading all your past posts it's clear you have a chip on your shoulder because of the problems you had with your QX56 and that your opinion is not objective at all. You've expressed your opinion over and over again to the point that it's tiring. Don't you have the ability to just move on? All your have to do is read through the posts and it clear that most people are pretty happy with their QX56's. Sure, it's not the most problem free truck made, but the brake problems were in the early model years and have long since been solved. I know a number of people that have Armadas and QX56's. The two that have early model years did have brake issues, and they have long since been fixed under warranty by Nissan and Infiniti. All the other people I know that have or have had these trucks had no unusual brake issues at all, just the usual pad replacement. And then on top of that, you are suggesting that an acceptable alternative is an Escalade? You must be kidding! Not only is the Escalade far from trouble free (just go over to the Escalade forum and read the posts), read any reviews where the Escalade and QX56 are compared. The QX56 has superior ride and handling, and has a much higher towing capacity. Finally, let me share my personal experience about the new Escalades. My cousin and one of my co-workers both bought '07 Escalades, and they are both so sorry they did. The transmission in my cousin's truck starting slipping when it was a month old. Only after 4 trips back the dealer and numerous phone calls to Cadillac, did they agree to replace the trans. And it's still not fixed correctly, at times the trans shifts very abruptly, and both the dealer and Cadillac claim that it's normal. Other issues with the truck have included a wheel that had to be replaced because it had a slow air leak, the front brake rotors had to be replaced because they were warped, the power steering pump had to be replaced, and the check engine light is on for the 4th time this morning. On my co-worker's truck, when the truck was 2 days old it would only move in reverse and had to be towed back to the dealer. A week later the same thing happened again, and a week after that there was no reverse! Finally Cadillac replaced the transmission. Two months later they replaced the transmission again because you could smell the fluid burning. The third trans seems OK so far, but his truck has 4000 miles on it and he is already on his third transmission! They must be using weak transmissions in these trucks as I noticed the tow rating is very low compared to the Navigator and QX56. I certainly would steer clear of the Cadillac Escalade.
  • derickc39derickc39 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used (8100 miles) 2005 Infinity QX56 from the local Infinity dealership. Not one time have I regretted this decision. Not once! I looked at the 2007 Tahoe, Yukon Denali, Escalade, and the Lexus GX470. Neither of these trucks can compare to the QX56. In order for these previously mentioned trucks to even compare to the Infinity QX56, you'd have to add on optional accessories for what is standard on the Infinity. I'm averaging 15.9 miles in the city and 22-25 on the highway using 89 octane fuel. If you notice, I did not mention the Expedition, it's because the Infiniti is in a completely different class. I would strongly encourage you to purchase the vehicle. The warranty is great. The vehicle is great. It will most definitely hold 7-8 people VERY comfortably. Has more than enough power and braking capabilities. Go for it, you won't regret it.
  • lykourinoulykourinou Member Posts: 67
    I hear you, the 08 is supposed to be much better and with a softer suspension than the Armada. I plan on getting one.
  • lykourinoulykourinou Member Posts: 67
    I think in 05 is when they had the break issues addressed so you should not have any problems. I think honestly that it is of better build quality than the escalade and also that it has more standard features that you would pay thousands more for if it were any other brand...good luck with your truck.
  • akbossakboss Member Posts: 10
    I have an honest question as to why someone would buy an Infinity QX56. In my understanding of the market, this vehicle is not only overly priced and ridiculously proportioned, but its a monumental waste of resources. Nowhere but North America could this even get past a drawing board. Looking at numbers, this enormous truck has roughly the same cargo capacity as a Suzuki XL7. OK so its huge but not functional. Cost? Well, I could buy a Suburban (where the base motor makes the same horsepower as the ONLY motor on this truck), and have enough money left over to buy an Audi A3 2.0T hatchback. Oh, and that Suburban? 3 mpg better city, 5 mpg better highway. Even the optional, more powerful motor gets better mileage! As for the weight? Almost 2 Nissan Frontier pickups worth.

At this point I'm just picking on the QX56, and fairly so, its terrible. But I'm curious to see how (or if) someone would defend it.
    You thought wrong. You also spelled brake incorrectly, unless you were trying to say the word break, as in what QX56's are famous for. The brakes break and the truck will make you broke when you have to pay all the repair and gas bills. Got it? :lemon: :lemon:
    :lemon: Nobody who has ever owned one could possibly defend it. My 42ft. Diesel Pusher Motorhome/Bus gets almost the same fuel consumption, but it weighs 30,000 lbs. more and has the aerodynamics of a barn. A suburban is THE ORIGINALS SUV, from 1936. It is the oldest running factory and holds a much higher percentage resale value. Most car dealers do not want to take a QX56 in trade due to the potential for liability.
    You sound like you have never owned either one. So what you say is heresay. Escalades cost a lot more than QX's. They have more power, handle better and are a lot more quiet. So why don't you go buy one, and then let us know how the like the QX. Pick up a boat anchor for an emergency brake. :lemon: