Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Sounds like a great price. Make sure they're including the destination charge in their invoice. I've got friends who are signing on an '06 Forester 2.5X automatic tomorrow - essentially the same deal you're receiving at roughly $600 below total invoice before the rebate. Their price after the X model's $2000 rebate is $19,196. They bought online through Carter Subaru in the Seattle-area.
  • dnau12dnau12 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my new Forester 2.5X premium package today. I bought in Beaverton, Oregon and the whole experience was great. I bought through the dealer internet department.

MSRP = $26,003
    invoice = $24,203
    price I paid = $22,296 (after rebate)

I am very happy with this deal. They are very willing to deal right now on the Foresters. They still have a boat load of them and the 2007 models are coming soon.
  • mknappmknapp Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Sounds like a good deal!! Just curious what dealership in Beaverton you used? Looks like you are a few hundred dollars under the quote I got. What options other than what comes with the Premium did you get? Are there lots of colors to choose from?

Thanks!!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    CARR Subaru, here is a quote from them good until the end of the Month

2006 Forester 2.5 X with Premium Package:
    2.5 liter SOHC engine, 16" alloy wheels, Power steering, windows, locks, mirrors, tilt wheel, cruise control, air conditioning, with climate control, anti lock brakes, side impact airbags, dual front compartment air bags, remote keyless entry, 8 way power drivers seat, and a 6 disc CD player. power moon roof, the all weather package (heated seats mirrors and wipers) dual air bags and ABS brakes.

2006 Forester 2.5 X with Premium Package
    Subaru Factory added options on this vehicle: Popular equipment group 1E: Cargo tray, bumper cover and splash guards, tweeter, and tail pipe cover.
    Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price: $27,003.00
    Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price w/ Discount: $26,003.00
    Dealer Invoice cost $24.203.00
    YOUR WHOLESALE PRICE: $22,595.00 (includes rebates/incentives if any)
    If you wish to add leather, ADD:
    Retail: $1299.00
    YOUR WHOLESALE PRICE: $1099.00
  • dnau12dnau12 Member Posts: 4
    There is only one Subaru dealer in Beaverton. Anyway, Addditional accessories were tweeter kit, cargo tray, rear bumber cover, tailpipe cover, and splash guards. The original quote came back higher than the $22,296 that I paid, but he was willing to negotiate off the original quote. By the way, the dealer in Vancouver, WA was willing to match the quote, but caused more grief, so I went with the dealer in Beaverton.
  • kumarikumari Member Posts: 72
    Hi all,

Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Forester XT Limited this evening. Here's the deal: $25,349.00 for an automatic with the only addition being the rear bumper cover. Got the steel grey metallic. Also, got free 3000 and 7500 service and the option to purchase the top of the line 7 year warranty for 50% off in three years when the 36 month warranty expires (by then I will have accrued enough Subaru bucks and it will actually be free). They also threw in a lanyard, two Subaru pens, a T-shirt, baseball cap and two Subaru keychains.

So, what do you guys think? Did I get a good deal? I sure hope I like the car - right before I bought it, I finally found a used 2005 with only 15,000 miles and every extra goodie they make (yes, even the special foot pedals) that I could have bought for $22,500. It was a black one and I didn't want a black car, so I paid $3000 more to get the steel grey one. Stupid, huh? I still can't believe I finally bought it. Fabulous to drive, just TOUCH the gas and the thing FLIES!

Samantha
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Congrats on the car and the great deal! Looks like you did very well on the deal. Which dealership did you buy it from?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, price seems great, too.

I had my windows tinted a while ago and it was $170, SolarGard dyed film. The metallic stuff costs more, so for $300 make sure you're getting the top quality stuff.

Subaru Bucks? Maybe not, unless the dealer does the work himself.

-juice
  • nhnissaninvanhnissaninva Member Posts: 13
    I'm shopping 3-4 dealers for a base 2.5X

Saw mention here, the holdback is $748?

Is the delivery fee of $625 real, actually charged to the dealer? (central Virginia).

Whats the feeling on "processing fees"? I threatened to walk on a deal once, got the fee waived. Car dealers deserve to make a living but I do make it easy on them (here's my check, I'll take that car there). What's a "fair" profit for a quick deal, $300-$500?

Thanks,--
    I'm on the West coast. But, the second day I owned the car I saw it in broad daylight for the first time (I shopped it at dusk or at night) and noticed that it really needs window tinting, so I posted on all the boards and got some good ideas as to what it should cost. Wasn't expecting to need the tinting, so yet more expenses, but it's a wonderful car so far. Love the power and handling ability after driving a truck-based SUV for 11 years.

Samantha
    Delivery fee is real. Right now, I'd pay no more than $2000 under final invoice (which includes delivery fee). That gives the dealer the entire holdback. So, for example, I'd pay no more than $19,800 for a base 2.5X with automatic, which has a final invoice of $21,800. The current $2000 rebate would bring it to $19,800. You could probably do better than that by e-mailing a few dealers in your area for quotes. And make sure you get any add-ons at invoice, too.

I think the $748 profit is a fair deal, $300-500 profit is a good deal, and anything less is a great deal.

Processing fees? Usually $35 bucks around here, so not really enough to worry about one way or the other, to me. If it bugs you, but the dealer insists on charging it as a matter of policy, you can always ask for an extra to be thrown in as compensation - all-weather rubber floormats, a couple free oil changes, or something.
    Thanks Jeff,

Looks like I've got one nailed down for 19,500 (automatic), they'll waive the standard "processing fee" of $239.

Not bad at 19.5K, should last me for 15 years :-)
    Mine's 9 years old and my only problem is I have no excuse to trade-in for a new one! :mad:

-juice
    Yikes! $239 processing fee? Now I see what you mean! Glad that was waived. Sounds like you've got a nice deal - the current $2000 rebate on the X makes it a fantastic bargain, doesn't it? :)
    I only got charged a $45 doc fee (for processing my license stuff) - what's the $239 fee supposed to be for, exactly? You might be able to negotiate a smaller fee as part of your deal - ask them to break down what it's for, then divide and conquer!

Samantha
    They agreed to waive the "processing fee", to put it bluntly, just the kind of ream job that some dealers try to pull. Pays to be an educated consumer so that you can negotiate around the baloney.

Anybody remember the "added dealer markup" days?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Dont have to remember they still do it at some dealers Subaru included .....
  • nyjeljnyjelj Member Posts: 1
    After a lot of research, test drives, phone calls and emails, I finally got a 2006 Forester X Premium auto in Steel Gray Metallic, with popular equip group 5A (auto dim mirror, homelink, compass, shock sensor), rear bumper guard, and cargo tray for $22,700 plus TT&L. Though Edmunds internet quote service got the ball rolling, I had to email the dealers in my area directly with specifics to actually get an quote, but then they all started bidding against each other, resulting in what I believe is reasonable price ($1000 less than TMV for my area). My dealer beat my bank financing rate, and met the trade-in quote from CarMax.

We love our new car, and though I was tempted by the power of the XT, the X has plenty to offer, and I don't have to feel guilty or worried about gas consumption. I keep finding excuses to drive it, offering to run errands for friends and family.

Big up to Edmunds, and http://www.carbuyingtips.com/ for massive help.
    Last day of the Subaru incentives. In your experience cdo you expect it to get extended or offered again? I just couldn't buy a Forester at the moment due to some personal issues. I'm hoping they will offer this again when the 2007's come out. What do you think?

Also, does anyone know the amount of the factory to dealer incentive for a 2006 Forester x Premium? :)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Bought a Forester X 5MT Steel Grey last night. $20550 less the rebate got us to $18550 + TTL. Well below invoice before rebate; I have NO complaints about that deal :shades: . From Carter in Seattle. This seems consistant with the earlier post about a X automatic for $19.1K from the same dealer. Judging by how many I've seen out on the roads with no plates lately, I'd say the incentives are working for blowing out inventory.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    They had the $2000 rebate a year ago, then took it away when enough X's sold.
    I bet they'll continue the $1000 on the upper models, but I'm not sure if they'll keep offering $2k on the X. That was a sweet deal.

In March, the Forester actually outsold the Outback, and became the #1 selling model.

-juice
    Looks like everything is the same for April, at least in New England...the Tribeca now has customer incentives also.
    Yep, a couple of them at Fitz dropped in price by about $800.

For the Forester, is it still only $1k on the non-X models?

-juice
    Yes, the other incentives didn't change. Remember there are regional differences.
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I am looking for a Forester Premium, and I wanted to ask some opinions. I received a quote of $23,949 for a Forester with MSRP of $26,387. I believe the $23,949 was before the rebate is applied. Is this good for a start? I have never owned a Subaru. Here is the tricky part: I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty, and I have tried to determine trade-in value. I went to three primary sites for used car values, and I'm getting a significant variance -- one site says the trade-in value is $15,025, the other site says it's worth $13,384, and the last site says it's worth $12,690. How do you work with a dealer to get, say, $14,500? Is this realistic? My Jeep is fine, there are no major issues (knock on wood). Thanks.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    How do you work with a dealer to get, say, $14,500? Is this realistic? My Jeep is fine, there are no major issues (knock on wood). Thanks.

Somewhere along the line, I'd stop at a Jeep dealership and pretend you are looking to trade in for a newer Liberty or maybe a Grand Cherokee. Go through the process and negotiate your best trade. That would probably give you an idea of the high-end trade value in your area, and you could then use that quote in discussions with non-Jeep dealers. I moved the needle trading an 03 Maxima at an Acura dealership by $3100 using this technique.

Don't forget the "whack-a-mole" effect - if you drive the price down too far in one place, they'll try to pop it back up somewhere else!
    $23,949 before the rebate is a fair price... that's essentially the invoice price for an X Premium automatic. You could probably get down another $500-700 at most, which would eat up most or all of the dealer holdback, so they'd be making very little.
    Is it necessary to order the info. from FC for $35 or can I get just as much information on this forum do you think?
    Go to a couple of Jeep dealers and tell them you want to sell it outright, that way you'll get the real value of it and you're not lying to them.

I think your quote is with rebate.
    I think most of the info could be found here, but $35 isn't a huge investment. FC may have some negotiating tactics that could be useful, but if you find a dealer who sends you a reasonable, upfront quote right off the bat, I'd prefer to make a straightforward exchange of dialogue with them, rather than having to resort to any type of "tactics" to negotiate with a dealer that wants to go through that hassle. Try sending e-mails to a half-dozen dealers and see what responses you get. If there's no quote or dealer you like, try the FC thing. You've got several very large, reputable dealers in the PacNW (Carter Subaru in Seattle-area is #3 volume in nation, Carr Subaru in Beaverton is #2), so I'd be sure to include them. If you're not comfortable taking the plunge with any of the responses you get, post your lowest quote here and we can give you feedback.
  • dinamodinamo Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a Forester Premium, auto. The best quote I got so far was $23160 after rebate. That includes freight, auto-mirror/homelink, all weather mats, rear bumper cover, cargo net. The price is about $500 less than TMV for Rochester, NY. Is that a good price, or I can do better?
    Thanks in advance.
    Seems like a very good price, maybe only a couple hundred bucks profit. I think you may be able to get as low as $22,900. Check out fitzmall.com for pricing - I believe they're in MD. If they won't budge on price, tell 'em you take it if they throw in a free 15k service or something. :)
    Now we're getting silly...do you think it's worth the trip from Rochester to Maryland to save maybe a hundred bucks?
  • growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Probably not worth the drive, if you look at the cost-per-mile to operate a car nowadays. It was 40-50 cents/mile that last time I looked prior to the recent gas price increases.

Hmmm - assume 200 miles 'twixt Rochester and Fitzmall, that's about 80-100 bucks just to save $100. And you'd go nutz driving back at 60 mph in order to do a proper break-in, what with having to vary the speed and all that for the first 1000 miles.

Yes, it is easy to go overboard just to be able to brag that you got a super deal on a new car.
    I have contacted a couple other dealers in the Dayton-Cincinnati area, and their price quotes are terrible. After going back and forth several times, for a Forester premium with no accessories added on, the "best" price they could do is $24,422 ($23,422 including the rebate). The invoice price is about $23,922. The MSRP is $25,570. This is ridiculous. I should be able to get a Forester premium for under $24,000 BEFORE the rebate is applied. On top of this B.S., I get the whine that Forester premiums are difficult to come by (NOT TRUE), this is their last one, blah, blah, blah. . . Their dealership has award-winning service and free loaners, blah, blah. . . A lot of good that would do me if I move out of town. . .

I am not insulting you as owners, and I have never owned a Subaru, but I expected better service from a brand that touts itself as more refined than other brands. The first Subaru dealership I visited was an even worse experience -- I went to see a Forester I requested a quote for, and they knew I was coming at a certain time, and when I got there the car didn't even run!! It looked like it had been used -- it had regular car wax residue on it, the back window had tape marks at the bottom like the window had been broken out and taped for a long time, and when you looked through the wheel rims, the braking system was all rusty. If Subaru thinks customers are going to pay a premium price for this kind of service, they are mistaken. I'm not insulting you as owners, but the dealers around here need to get it together. If Subaru wants to cater to educated folks of today, their dealerships should stop all the old school wheelin'-dealin' B.S. because I don't have time for that! :mad:
    Call 800-SUBARU3 to complain. That dealer was way out of line.

And Subaru can't improve customer service if they're not aware of it.

-juice
    No, not worth the trip... but MD in April is probably quite pleasant. :) My intention was to give a place to easily compare prices online, and to use their pricing as a bargaining tool (that's why I gave the web address rather than the specific dealership locations in Gaithersburg and... what's the other city?... White Pines, I think). Maybe my wording wasn't clear enough, but I suggested asking the Rochester dealer to throw in a free 15k service to bring the value close to Fitzmall's. I'm about 3,000 miles from MD, but I'd still look to see what their pricing is to give me an idea of how low my dealer may be able to go.

Hmm... now that I think about it, I've driven about 250 miles and crossed an international border just to get a good donut. :blush: Mmm... donut.
    The dealer is an independant and has the right to sell a car for whatever they see fit; if that's what the market is in your area, you can always go online for a better deal.
    He was the Internet Sales Manager, and the quotes were generated online. I know they can set their prices, but it wasn't just that, it was the service I got from the dealerships and the lack of organization and responsiveness. I was offered one good price for a Subaru Forester premium, but unfortunatlely, it was from the dealership where the other Forester I looked at didn't run, so it made me cautious of what the rest of their cars were like and what shape they were in.
    Hi, just had to get my 2 cents in here. I just bought my first Subaru ('06 Forester XT Limited) and have nothing but praise for the dealership. They were nice to deal with and very knowledgeable about the car. I dealt with four different people there and they were all very nice. All the other dealerships I contacted were pretty nice too (and I contacted quite a few across the country to comparison shop).

I don't know what the actual service will be like when I bring the car in for repairs, but hopefully I won't have to do that very often.

Anyway, I'm lovin' my car and planning on bringing home baked cookies to the sales staff! The only issue I'm having is that my gas mileage is still less than expected, but I'm only on my second tank.

I think the Subaru dealership you went to must have been an uncharacteristically bad one. Subaru seems to have the best informed salespeople in the business. I also checked out Toyota and Honda and found that their sales staffs were ill-informed and, in the case of Toyota, downright rude (the guy made me wait in the car (a RAV 4) while he stood outside yacking on his cell phone on a personal call instead of taking me for a test drive). The Mitsubishi guys were inexperienced and the dealership appeared disorganized and poorly run. The BMW guys seemed disinterested (maybe because I'm a woman?). Meanwhile, my XT can blow their X3 off the road!

Samantha
    I am trying to decide between the Forester X and the Forester X with the Premium package. Has anyone bought the Forester X and had the 6-disc CD player installed as an accessory? Is this possible -- the brochure showed that the 6-disc was available as part of the Premium package, but it also lists it as an accessory.

Are there any real performance differences between the X and X Premium when driving in the snow -- I live in Ohio, and we sometimes get 4-6 inches, but usually just get 2-3 inches a few times a year.

What do people think the incentives will do in May -- anyone think there's a chance they will offer $2000 on the X w/Premium package?

Thanks.
    Here's everything the Premium adds over the X:
    Outside mirrors with integrated turn signals
    Body colored exterior door handles
    Power driver's seat
    16" 8-spoke alloy wheels (X has steel wheels)
    Upgraded cloth, velour
    Rear disc brakes (X has rear drums)
    EBD Electronic Brake Distribution varies braking front/rear depending on cargo
    All Weather Package: large outside defrosting mirrors, heated front seats, front windshield wiper de-icer
    Limited slip rear differential
    Stereo: 120w CD in-dash changer, AM/FM/Weatherband, antenna in left rear glass
    Stereo: 4 Upgraded Speakers
    Automatic climate control with Daybright feature
    Power moonroof with auto open-close, cloth sunshade
    Chromed interior door handles
    Illuminated ignition ring
    Gray Metallic painted outside mirrors
    Leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Leather parking brake handle
    Leather shift knob
    Leather manual transmission shift boot
    Front seat back pockets

The Premium does add the limited slip rear differential, so I would think it should be even better when you need to start out on a slick surface. Maybe someone else here has better tech knowledge to explain how that works. Another biggie to me is the rear disc brakes with Electronic Brake Distribution - wish it was standard on the X. As far as the 6-disc goes, it can be installed, but many folks choose to go with an aftermarket stereo when they upgrade - my salesperson even recommended doing that. The Premium offers so many goodies (including that huge moonroof!), it's hard to pass up if you can afford it. Of course, the X is pretty darn loaded for a "base" model. If it were up to me and I could afford it, I'd take the Premium - you get a lot for your money and all the upgrades make it feel like a much more expensive vehicle.

I don't think the incentives on the Premium will get any better in May than they are now, but who knows for sure?
    That list is quite long now that I look at it closely.

Fortunately, I want most of those things.

Unfortunately, the incentives is $1000 for the Premiums, and $2000 for the X model. Bummer.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    ...their price quotes are terrible. After going back and forth several times, for a Forester premium with no accessories added on, the "best" price they could do is $24,422 ($23,422 including the rebate). The invoice price is about $23,922. The MSRP is $25,570. This is ridiculous. I should be able to get a Forester premium for under $24,000 BEFORE the rebate is applied.

Huh?!?! I would hardly call an offer of $500 over invoice "terrible" much less "rediculous" :( Since this is your first Subaru experience maybe you're not aware that Subarus, like most Japanese makes, don't normally sell for less than invoice. Perhaps you're simply accustomed to seeing the big three's vehicles selling for thousands less than invoice.

I can't excuse the dealership giving you the run-around but rather than blame Subaru for the actions of an independent dealer, you're better served by voting with your feet and buying somewhere else. Just send the general manager a note letting him know why they lost your business.

-Frank
    I wasn't blaming Subaru. I was blaming the dealers around my area for their lack of service, professionalism, and responsiveness.

That makes it hard, even though I want a Forester, to buy one here knowing that the next closest dealer is about 40 miles away, and I would never take it there for servicing.

I was not asking them to "give" their car away. I just wanted a reasonable price for theirs, and a reasonable price for mine. Between what I could get for their Forester, and what they were willing to give me for my Jeep, we were about $1000 apart from getting me the monthly payment I said I would pay.

They wanted to give me below rock bottom value for my Jeep, and I know it is worth more than that. The highest computer trade-in value was like $15,000 and the next highest was like $13,250, and since mine is in excellent condition, I think I should have been able to get closer to $14,000. This is not asking too much from the dealer. They were not willing to give me more than $13,200 -- that's after they first came back with $12,500 and I said absolutely NO and went home, and they had to wait until the next day to talk to their managers. . . They could put the truck on their used car lot anywhere from $16,000 - $18,000, so giving me close to $14,000 is not unreasonable for them to make a profit in my opinion. I have checked on used car sites in my area, and this is what they are offered at -- and those offered don't have as many features as mine has.

I do not want to sell it on my own because of safety issues (you never know who will show up to look at it) and because of any liability issues. There is nothing wrong with my Jeep that I know of, and I wouldn't want someone to buy it, and then something did go wrong and they try to sue me -- that happened to a co-worker of mine and his family lost and had to pay the people who bought his car.

Any suggestions?
  • jcabejcabe Member Posts: 3
    I picked up a new Forester X 3 weeks ago for an advertised 17,777 including the $2000 rebate. This was actually $2000 less than my 98 Forester L was. Take a look at what other cars are out there for $18000 and it's amazing that the Forester offers so much.
    I had contemplated others like the Rav4, Matrix, Outlander, Element, CRV, Liberty, and even some sedans/hatches like the Civic Camry and Mazda3. For the equipment, interior space, horsepower, and allwheel drive I could not touch it. :)
    I think that price is incredible.

Indeed, I paid $19.2k way back in 1998 for my L model, so these prices are unheard of given the extra content they have now.

Congrats.

-juice
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I'm not saying that Subaru's sell for less than invoice all the time, but they can. I bought my 06 X MT for 600 under invoice before rebate, which came to $18.5K. X with premium is likely not as common, but I just wanted to add a real world example to show it can be done...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• subaruchicksubaruchick Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my second Subaru, a 2006 Forester X Premium and I love it. My last one, a 1991 Legacy, just turned 200,000 miles and it's still running great! So, bottom line, you will have this vehicle for a very long time. And heated seats in the winter have their advantages in the winter, as well as a fun moonroof for the summer. For the extra money, the extras seem well worth it to me. Several mechanics have told me that if they had to rely on Subarus to repair, they would starve to death. Now there's a recommendation!