Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Hey, I've got a '91 Legacy with over 200,000 miles, too! :) Nearly 240,000 now. We're also on our second Subaru (an '04 Outback). The '91 really sold us on the brand's durability/reliability. I'll be sad to see it go, but we're on schedule to replace it in 3 or 4 years. I'd like to reach 300k, but don't think I'll get there. Maybe the next owner will. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hey, pretty soon you'll both join the 1/4 million mile club.

-juice
    I hit 222,222 at night out in the middle of nowhere on a roadtrip with a buddy. Got out of the car, put my face on the windshield, looking into the car, just above the gauge cluster, and had him take a goofy pic from the inside showing the mileage on the odometer and my face. :D At some point, I'll send that in to Subaru High Mileage Club
  • nhnissaninvanhnissaninva Member Posts: 13
    I picked one up with the Premium pack on March 31, think my "out the door" was 22.7K, seemed like a great deal. Funny thing, they tried to switch me to an Outback with a sticker that was nearly 2K higher than the Forester, for a LOWER price. Apparently that quota stuff is real, one more Outback for the month (or quarter?) and their holdback/bonus would have been bumped up on all their sales.

I love this car, wife does too but she's scared to drive it until I get the first scratch. :) Only regret is not looking at leather seats, the tan is pretty light. I normally go for the econ/value model, but I'm enjoying the sunroof and heated seats. Never had so little buyers remorse on any vehicle.

Thanks to this board for help/info on holdbacks, delivery, etc. Had a very nice experience with the internet dealer in Staunton, VA.

Anybody have advice, recs, for various roof carriers to go on the Forester? I'll need a 4 pair ski rack and canoe / kayak racks. Don't think I'll go the 2X4 "custom" route like on my 91 Loyale :D
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Congratulations on a great deal! However for any number of reasons, "most" buyers won't be able to get that good of a deal.

-Frank
    Between what I could get for their Forester, and what they were willing to give me for my Jeep, we were about $1000 apart from getting me the monthly payment I said I would pay.

Uh oh... I see two problems right there. Car buying 101: You should always negotiate and finalize the purchase price of the new vehicle before beginning negotiations on the sale price of any trade-in. Secondly, you should never reveal to the dealer what you want your monthly payment to be. Doing either puts you at a strategic disadvantage in your negotiations with the dealer and doing both certainly compounds the problem :(

If you’re positive that your Jeep is worth more than the Subaru dealer is offering and you don’t want to sell it yourself… take it to someplace like Carmax that specializes in good condition late model vehicles. They may very well make you a better offer. Also, since a Jeep dealer is most familiar with the used Jeep market, you should consider asking their used sales manager what he’d be willing to buy it for.

-Frank
  • mknappmknapp Member Posts: 13
    That deal almost seems too good to be true.......how'd you do it? :blush: Any tips for my upcoming negotiations on a Forester?????

Thanks,
    Melinda
    Bummer, still $2000 for the base X and $1000 for other models. I was hoping they'd put the $2000 on the X Limited. :(

-juice
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    Apparently the X Premium is selling much better then the base model, thus the smaller incentive. IMHO, there are too many extras on the Premium to pass up, even if it means a $3000 difference.
    It's a huge jump, about $3800. I've seen X autos for $19k but an X Premium is $22.8k. Yowsah.

I want a moonroof and heated seats, sure, but $3800? For that much more I want NAV as well.

-juice
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    I dealt with the internet mgr at a big dealership. The price was settled via email and phone before I ever got there, and it was the last day of the month. There were a lot of X models in inventory (and there still must be, since the rebate is still around) and they had 2 identically spec'd models, right down to options, trannys and colors. They were willing to cut one loose under invoice if I bought that day. We got to 600 under invoice, then the $2k rebate was applied to get that 18.5 number. Mine is a stick, an auto would have been $19.1. I knew what color and trans I wanted, and had been tracking inventories at multiple dealers online. I checked their inventory and saw that they had more than one, which I figured gave me some more leverage. So I called this dealer first.

I too also started with the X vs. X premium debate like others here, but the difference was knocking on 4k. The option I wanted was the sunroof. So no $4k sunroof for me, no matter how big ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Good strategy and deal, there - and you can always look around for an aftermarket sunroof :shades: . I can't imagine that costing you 4k. If I'm not mistaken, it would be more of a pop-up version rather than a slider. I've had both, and I think the pop-up is better since you can leave it open in a light-to-middling rainstorm when driving at speed.

ateixeira - didn't you or someone quote some numbers for aftermarket sunroof not too long ago?
    I have a manual pop-up, installed by Adler & Mandell in Rockville, MD. Back in '99 it cost me $300, plus $70 to cut some roof rails short and reinstall them.

My wife put a power tilt/slide roof in her Legacy, that was around $900 IIRC.

No regrets. Both are made by ASC. ASC's web site will refer you to local installers if you check.

-juice
    I got an aftermarket power tilt/slider sunroof installed in my Forester for about $900. Unfortunately, you can't get an aftermarket one that's even close to as big as the huge OE one that the Forester gets. :(

-Frank
  • russkahnrusskahn Member Posts: 4
    I've had some dealers tell me July or August, but some online discussions say May. Well, it's May now. If the 07 is coming out in the next 3-4 weeks, I'd prefer to wait.

If only because I really want a car with an iPod/MP3 player jack, and I'm hoping the 07 will have that.

Then again, I've got to imagine the 07 models will be more expensive; the dealers are all probably trying to unload the 06 models. I've got quotes under invoice and without the destination fee.
    Let's see what else they add. Sirius radio is supposed to be an option, too.

I'm hoping for VTD and SportShift but I won't hold my breath.

-juice
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    I've received quotes for under invoice as well. Guess it depends on if you are in a hot market for Subies, I'm not so I've been given some attractive numbers. Some of the inventory I've been shopping has been on the dealer lot since at least Feb. when I started looking.

Unfortunately, the trade in on my 4Runner has dropped 2-3k(depending on who's numbers you believe) since I began my search so, instead of being even or a little ahead on my trade, I'm back in the hole. I refuse to roll negative equity so I'll just keep the 4Runner for now and continue to pay it down. My Subie dreams will have to go on hold for now! :cry:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    I e-mailed Subaru concerning the iPod/MP3 aux input in the 2007 Forester. Their response was that only the X Premium with the 6 disc changer would have the iPod/MP3 aux input.

Jim
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    That is really lame and stupid. Do you know if 6CD changer will be available as an option on X?
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I was told just last week by our local Subie dealer that the 07's will arrive by late June. I'm on the South West coast of Canada. I will be in the market to purchase a new vehicle by Summer 07, and the Forester is a main contender.
    I don't know if the 6 CD changer will be an option on the 2007 X. We love our '98 Forester L but little things like not offering the sunroof as a separate option and not getting a simple aux/mp3 input on the X really get under our skin. We don't need anymore than the X offers so a 3,000 upgrade for a sunroof and/or aux input is not an option.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    6CD changer is a $492 option on 2006. So I assume they will continue that. You may be able to get an aftermarket sunroof for $700-800.

BTW, how many miles do you have on your '98 Forester?
    106k on our '98 Forester. We've been quoted 900.00 for an aftermarket sunroof with a lifetime warranty. Actually, the aftermarket sunroof has a few features lacking in the Subaru sunroof. We've just been reluctant to buy a new Forester and then have someone, other than Subaru, cut a hole in the roof.
    We've just been reluctant to buy a new Forester and then have someone, other than Subaru, cut a hole in the roof.

Perfectly understand your reluctance but there are plenty of reputable installers who have cut holes in roofs of vehicles far more expensive than the Forester ;)

-Frank
    I have one in my Forester, and my wife has one in her Legacy.

To be honest, it's the other way around, hers has features missing on the OE system.

First off, I can press and release one single button and it opens all the way. Same to close. Same to tilt. Just one press, and you don't have to hold it.

The Subaru one you have to press and hold, and of course it stops, twice I think. So you have to press and hold a button THREE TIMES to get the stinking thing to open or close all the way.

Also, hers is programmable. You remove the key, it closes no matter what position it's in. We can also turn that feature off, if you really do want to leave it open (in a covered garage, maybe).

It would be smaller than the wonderfully huge one in the Forester, though.

-juice
    Juice- You misread his post:

"Actually, the aftermarket sunroof has a few features lacking in the Subaru sunroof" So he's agreeing with you.

I think I have the same model as your wife. The auto close feature is especailly nice. However, I sometimes leave the sunroof tilted open to keep the interior cooler when I have to park in the sun.

-Frank
    That's when you get rain. :surprise:

I stand corrected.

-juice
    The extra features on the aftermarket sunroof make it tempting. It would be nice if the aftermarket sunroof was as big as the OEM. We've been looking into buying a 2005 Forester X with 8k and putting in the aftermarket sunroof. Around here you can get a new Forester X auto for around 19,000, though. Honestly, I prefer the grill on the '05 over the '06.
    They're both OK to me. The 03-05 grille ended up resembling the Hyundai Elantra. The new one is more unique, a little Isuzu-ish IMO. It does sort of point its nose upward, like a snob. :D

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    FYI: The OEM mega moonroof does not tilt (at least it didn't in '04). I'm happy with my aftermarket moonroof as well, similar model to the others with auto open and close.

-Brian
  • kalimbakalimba Member Posts: 1
    This board was really helpful in preparing me to negotiate so I wanted to share my experience, aka "pass it on." I did the thing on Edmunds where you can request a quote from several dealers in your area. I got a quote of $19.5 (before taxes, license fees) from one dealer but the one at the large dealership didn't get back to me before we decided to go out and look. We went to the large dealership and as we were looking the salesperson said that "just between you and me" the black one was advertised in the L.A. Times for $18.8 and they have to sell it at that price if someone asks even though it's a loss. I inquired about a different one (different color, same features) and he said it would be "a few hundred more." Luckily I liked the black the best anyway. So here's what I got:

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5X
    automatic
    customer tailpipe cover
    popular equipment group 5A
    popular equiment group 1E

MSRP: $23,936
    Our price: $18,800
    After taxes (8.25 in California, ouch!) and license fees: $20,811.31

When we got home with the car, the Internet manager at the dealership we bought at had e-mailed back a quote of $19.5! I told him we bought from his dealership for $18.8, and he said that they took a $300 net loss on that car, that it was their advertised "loss leader." I'm not sure if they really lost money, but overall I'm really pleased with the car and the price we paid.

Best of luck to everyone! I think $19.5 is also a pretty good price (before taxes, license fees) for this area--SoCal.
    Offered 22.7K, including the compass in the mirror deal. (No other fees.) Can probably get him to throw some floor mats in, too. What else do I need? Are the mud flaps necessary? How about the cargo net? I wouldn't mind getting a few small things thrown in as well...

Really annoyed that the stereo doesn't come with an iPod jack, though. And that the '07 models will be out so soon... but I need a car--SOON!
    I usually see those for $22.8k and up, I think the price is fair. You can get mats cheap, so don't miss out on a deal for something so minor. The dealer's gotta feed his kids! ;)

-juice
  • growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Mud flaps - depends on if you're driving on roads with a lot of loose stone. Otherwise not really needed.
    Cargo nets - go for the side cargo nets, they're easy to reach and can easily hold a well-filled plastic grocery bag of stuff on each side.
    Arm rest - I have an '05 XS, and it works great for me. I think '06 front seating area is shaped differently, you'll have to check it out.
    Cargo mat (rubber mat that fits in rear cargo area) - absolutely. It has a lip all around to retain dirt/liquid spills, and when you need to fold the back seat down for big cargo, you don't have to worry about that lip, it's plenty flexible to handle anything you lay across it
    Rear bumper cover - I thought about this, then decided against it. If I ever get to the point where that bumper starts to show wear 'n tear, I'll go out and buy a cover to hide the damage. Still haven't done that , 19 months and 29k miles later.
    Go for a bit o' flash - get the tailpipe cover (optional on '05, dunno about '06 or later). This seems to be a "standard" option, I've seen only one late model Forester so far that didn't have it.

And - if you close the deal - enjoy! :D
    Floor mats come standard but the rubber wet weather ones cost extra (useful if you get a lot of snow)

Ditto what Growler said about the mud flaps. Not sure I agree with him about the side cargo nets though. I find that the standard bag hooks work fine to keep grocery bags from sliding around. I do have a rear cargo net that is useful for securing larger items but it gets in the way of loading and unloading.

I have the bumper cover and it has definitely saved the bumper from getting scratched by my Lab retriever jumping in and out.

-Frank
    Gotta agree with Frank on this one. The bumper cover is a must in my mind, otherwise the top of the bumper will be scratched the first time you load something heavy or awkward, or stand on the bumper to reach the roof rack. I think the grocery bag hooks work fine, too - I can put two or three bags on each hook. I think the net that attaches to the back of the rear seat would be more helpful - you can secure things without blocking loading/unloading access.

Those all-weather rubber mats aren't very expensive. If you know you're gonna be in a little mud or dirt (or sand at the beach!), just toss those mats in to keep your carpeted mats looking nice. It's a lot easier to shake sand off of the rubber mats than try to vacuum out the carpeted ones.
  • astralgoaastralgoa Member Posts: 4
    Hi everybody,

I'm a new member here at Edmunds. Like driver56, I live in the South West Coast of Canada (I'm in Vancouver, BC). I'm currently considering buying a 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5X (base model) but, in Canada, here are the two main features that are missing in the 2.5X trim compared to the US version of it:
    - 4 disc brakes (in Canada: front disc brakes and rear drum brakes).
    - Electronic Brake Distribution.

I'm not in a big rush to buy it and, if it's worth waiting for the 2007 model, I prefer doing that. So, I have a few questions:
    1. Does anybody know when the 2007 Subaru Forester will come out in Canada ?
    2. If you don't know, when will it come out in the US ? That would give me an idea.
    3. For the 2007 model, will the 2.5X trim in Canada include:
    - 4 disc brakes.
    - Electronic Brake Distribution.
    - MP3 support for the CD player.
    - Line-In connector for the audio system (to connect an MP3 player or similar device).
    4. Is the 2007 model gonna be a new design ?
    5. If yes, does it mean that it will be harder to get discounts (invoice cost or fleet return price) ?
    6. Do you know of any link detailing the upcoming changes for the 2007 model ? I Googled it and all I could find was related to Sirius satellite radio (as an option). I didn't find anything about the 4 features I ask above in question 3.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
    Actually the US model is the same, no rear discs and no EBD.

For '07, I say yes for the MP3 and line-in questions, not sure about the brakes.

We should hear about the 07 models soon, stick around. Nothing yet, though. It's not a redesign.

-juice
    '07 Forester production started May 15, and deliveries are supposed to start in June. I assume Canada's not far behind, but don't know.

This won't be a new design, but there's rumor of some possible minor visual change.

Word is that '07 Forester and Impreza will have aux input only on the 6-disc CD changer, not on the base stereo. That's an upgrade you should be able to add to an X, so wouldn't need to get a Premium just to get aux input. Legacy, Outback and Tribeca are supposed to get aux input on all models.

Wish I could give you more answers, but I don't have any. I agree that the X really should have the same braking system as the Premium.
    My bad about the disc brakes on the US 2.5X trim. I had accidentally looked at the 2.5X LL Bean Edition (I don't know what this name means, we don't have it in Canada).
    For 2006 models, I'm actually hesitating between the Impreza 2.5i Sport Wagon and the Forester 2.5X. These are both the base trim models. However, the Impreza one has 4-wheel disc brakes and EBD but the Forester one doesn't. Do you think I should:
    1. Settle for the Impreza 2006 (for the all-around model, it is currently my second choice behind Forester) ?
    2. Settle for the Forester 2006 without rear disc brakes and without EBD ?
    3. Wait for the Forester 2007 and hope that it has 4-disc brakes and EBD standard on the base trim model ?
    I would wait, that can't hurt. Selection of 06s may diminish so keep an eye out for the 07s.

But...I would not pick an OBS over a Forester for that reason alone. The Forester has a lot more cargo room, and that's more likely to matter (several times) during the course of ownerhip than the rear drum brakes.

I hit the brakes in the wet once, and a Saturn plowed in to the back on my Forester. Stopping power is still quite good, too good in this case.

-juice
    What is an OBS ? Is it a special name for the Impreza ?

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you and the Forester are ok :-)
    OBS = Outback Sport, just our abbreviation for it here in the Subaru Crew threads.

-juice
    Yes, the drums work quite well. I think the main advantage the discs have is less fade, so if you're doing a lot of mountain pass driving where you'd be going downhill for extended periods and braking frequently, maybe you'd notice a difference.

I'd go with what juice said - wait 'til the '07s have just started to come out, or at least until you find out for sure what the equipment will be on them. Personally, I like Forester better than Outback Sport, even considering the brakes. I think of the Sport as being for folks who don't like Forester's boxy look but still want something smaller than a Legacy or Outback wagon.
    If you tow heavy loads and live in hilly SF, get the rear discs. :)

-juice
  • mikemcolomikemcolo Member Posts: 2
    unless there is a problem, i am picking up my 2006 forester x tomorrow, black 5-spd w/ Tweeter Kit, Cargo Tray, Bumper Cover and Splash Guards, $18,590 before tax, $20,012 out the door after taxes. i'm pretty happy, and can't wait to get it. my first new car and first subaru! looked at a lot of car options, weighing safety, reliability, economy, and utility, and for the money the forester seemed like my best bet. test drove locally but couldn't find a 5-spd in a color i wanted, so i am driving a little further away to pick one up. so far Flatirons Imports- Boulder, Colorado has been real helpful, and i was happy with the internet price quoted. hopefully it continues to be a good experience when i get over there tomorrow.
    Congrats on the pending purchase! Let us know how it turns out... sounds pretty sporty with the 5-speed & black paint! :shades: Embarassed to admit I'm an AT guy :blush:, but the 5-spd should be quite fun to drive.
    Subaru Forester, 2.5X, Premium, Red, Automatic

Paid $22.9 with a bunch of extras--auto-dimming mirror with compass, bumper cover, and cargo tray. Figured it was pretty much in line with the other prices listed here. Only wish I didn't have the NY state taxes--8.75% OUCH!

Oh, and it was $1,000 better than what the initial dealer offered me in NYC! Ha!

Congrats to both of us on our first cars, Mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, congrats! Enjoy your new ride—and stick around. We would love to hear how you like it, as the miles build up. :)

Bob