Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dom06dom06 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interested in buying a 07 Forester Prem. pack either auto or manual.. Was looking a NJ dealers.. does the Liberty dealer have a good selection.. or did you have to order and / or do a dealer swap? if you don't mind me asking what was the price that sealed the deal. Thanks for any input..I am ready buy before end of yr.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    dom06,

Sorry for the confusion -- I am buying a Legacy at Liberty, not a Forester.

I quickly checked their site -- they have 20 Premiums in stock, including 6 manuals and at least one in every color.

I found their pricing to be very competitive, and more importantly, I bought for the same price we agreed upon on the phone. I had a couple of other dealers agree to a price and then renege on it when I showed up in person.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I bought my 2001 Forester at Liberty and had no complaints with the sales experience. We wound up buying our two Outbacks at Kolb Subaru in Orangeburg, NY, due to their proximity to work. Great experiences there, also. They both have large selections and a fair amount of 5 speed manuals, if that makes a difference. Both are Subaru exclusive, so they don't sell or service anything else. I don't think you can go wrong at either dealership.

I hope this helps.

Len
  • chaselachasela Member Posts: 3
    Greetings. Am purchasing a 2007 XT this weekend and am on the homestretch with a couple dealers who have comparable deals. However, one car has the security shock sensor installed which I don't really need/want. Is it possible to deactivate/silence the siren? Thanks.

Chase
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Nope... It's the horn
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    In watching these posts, I've noticed that buyers in Mid-Atlantic and NE states consistently seem to get the best deals on their new Subarus. Even factoring in more stringent emissions controls in CA, why is there such a difference, especially since I understand that most, if not all, Subarus arrive in the US via CA. Am I mistaken, or what?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Legacy, Outback and B9 Tribeca are built in Indiana, so imported Subarus are Impreza and Forester, which come in through Baltimore and Vancouver (WA), I believe. The Port of Vancouver was Subaru's sole port of entry for a while. Newport News, VA, was also a port of entry... not sure if Subaru continues importing there as well as Baltimore, or if Baltimore replaced Newport News. I don't think any Subarus arrive in CA.

I live in the NW, and I think the deals I've gotten have been every bit as good as in the Mid-Atlantic states. Subaru of New England actually adds on a surcharge, so buying in New England could cost you more money, not less.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Many factors exist, mostly supply and demand. And while demand is high here, there are plenty of dealerships, 7 near me.

-juice
  • lucyliulucyliu Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, just curious if you bought any extended dealer warrantee when you bought your subaru? My dealer suggested me the other day that they offered a 5yr/60000ml warrantee inaddition to the standard 3yr/36000ml for about $420. Since this is my first Subura, I am not sure if this is necessary. Anyone can give me some advice here?

Thank you!
    Price sounds good, and remember you get free roadside assistance for the entire duration.

If you pay for AAA now, that'll save you a bunch right there, and it may be worth it.

-juice
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    In addition to what -juice said - make sure it is an extended factory warranty (if available) & not a third party one. If it's a third party, read it VERY carefully before getting it. Most of them aren't worth the paper....in my opinion.

An extended factory warranty *usually* can be purchased up to the end of your original warranty. In other words, if you have a 3 year warranty, you can purchase it at 35 months if you think you may need it. You may decide to trade or sell it before then.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

That is a good price. The dealer cost is 350 bucks for the best one as there are two levels if I am not mistaken. "Retail" recommended is like 750. Mine offered at the 350.

So check also what level it is...One has more limited coverage.
  • 2gbj2gbj Member Posts: 3
    Wanted your opinion on a deal for a used '06 Forester with Premium Package. Just under 20K miles. I believe the car has the tow package (which I don't need -- but the car is the car). I live in New England, and have an offer from a dealership for $20K plus tags and tax. Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks!
    With year-end incentives, you could probably get a brand-new 07 for 23K, 24 tops (+ tags and tax), and that's the way I'd go. Heck, if you can somehow track down a new unsold 2006, the heavy incentives on those would bring it pretty close to 20K.

To echo the sentiments often expressed by the great Mathias Steiner in other forums, it doesn't usually make sense to buy a lightly-used Subaru, Honda, Toyota, etc. They don't depreciate enough in the first year or first few years to make it worth your while.

I mean, look what's happening here -- a year-old car with pretty heavy miles is going to fetch just $2500/$3500 less than what it sold for new? That's kind of nuts, imo -- let someone else bite that bullet.

Go new, get 3 years/36000 of warranty, zero miles on the ticker, that nice new-car smell, better resale down the road, etc, etc, etc.
  • nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    I've been quoted $18,400 (customer cash, all negotiating etc included) plus $159 Documentation Fee for this vehicle. So out the door it's $18,559. Is this a good deal? Feedback appreciated.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    It is a great price. Pull the trigger :)
    I agree completely. That $1500 rebate on the 07 Forester X's is making for some incredible deals.

To put it in perspective, I paid $19500 + TTL for an 04 Forester X auto!
    I bought 100000 mile extended warranty for my 2002 Forester and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have 92K miles on the car. Other than a heat shield rattle ($30 fix), my car has been trouble free. Since you already get 5year/60K power train warranty, why spend $420 on 2year/24Kmiles bumper to bumper warranty? If you are worried about roadside assistance, you can get a GM motor club membership for $60/year and use their unlimited towing service. AAA towing service sucks unless you get their premium membership.
    I agree. One or two year old car purchase works very well in case of domestic brands or even Hyundai or Kia. For cars that have very good resale value, the savings will be minimal.
    smittynyc, thanks for your reply.
  • pattywattypattywatty Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 2007 2.5 x trim auto. only option was bumper in rear. msrp was 22924. OTD was 21150. this was in long beach, ca
  • aladwagaladwag Member Posts: 8
    Hi Neprop, congrats! I am searching for a 2007 X Automatic, like my dealer but not his prices...where did you score the 18.4k X?

Thanks in advance...!:@)
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    So I ended up getting a 2007 X Premium package Automatice for a $265/mo 24 month 10k/year lease but it took some work. This was in west springfield Mass. First they tried to sell me a base 2007 Tribeca for $349 month but my wife thought it was too big. So we started to look at the Forester. They let us take it home overnight (it only had 1 mile on it).
    The next day I did not like the lease terms ($316 a month) so we had to get up and literally almost leave before I was asked what price would work and they finally went for the $22500 price.
    In the end they were very nice and even gave us a loaner since it was a holiday and we couln't complete the purcahse.
  • pattywattypattywatty Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted 21150 on a 2.5 x trim automatic, this is OTD price includes all taxes.
    mrsp price is 22924. in southern Ca
    Is this a fair price or can I do better.
    It is a fair price, I am assuming your sales tax is 8.25%. You might be able to do tad better. Try $21000 OTD.
    Wow!, I think that's the least expensive I have seen. My 04 X manual was 19 and that was a good deal then.

I did get my 07 Premium Package (MT) for 21,973 including 500 rebate and 500 loyalty discount. I gave the 500 rebate back for financing so ended up at 22,973... I also got that guaranteed trade in thing for my 04. I know it was a good deal because my dealer let Subaru take it and said they couldn't make any money on it.

I did have to settle for white. I'm keeping this one till the wheels fall off.
  • desiputradesiputra Member Posts: 6
    I was quoted $19,100 (inclusive of all charges except tax/tag) by a dealer for the base model Forester with auto transmission. Is thia a good price and also is there any specific option package that anybody would think makes sense adding. I am looking for a base car with the main needs being safety and reliability ( think I have passed the age for 'style' and 'oomph'...!!)
  • daveitdaveit Member Posts: 9
    Well, I should have bought a Forester instead of my Honda CR-V. I realized that I really don't like the way the CR-V handles. It seems to need to slip before kicking in the AWD.

So, now I'm looking at a new Forester. It looks like the trade-in for my CR-V is around 17,800. I owe about 13000 on it still so I won't be losing any money.

I'm in Anchorage so no sales tax. They like to jack up the prices with all kinds of crazy fees since we live in the middle of nowhere. They are currently asking $23965 for a Forester 2.5 X with manual. The Edmunds TMV is showing $21849 minus the $1500 would make it $20349.

Do you think they will give me that price? Should I try to go lower? When I called and talked to a sales guy he told me that his sales manager was motivated because it's a slow part of the year. Subarus are in high-demand up here, but so are CR-Vs. My CR-V is an EX model so it's better-equipped that the X.

I'm looking at possibly buying this weekend so I'm anxiously awaiting you replies. Thanks.
    I have a 1997 Legacy that I didn't treated very nicely (oil changes, etc) while I was over in Europe for 4 years. It's gone through a couple oil seals and a water pump (from driving Autostrada/Autobahn speeds in a car not designed for it) than that all I've had to do was get the timing belt changed. I took it in for it's 120K mile service since i got to AK and blew about $1900 bucks getting the works done. That's not too bad over almost 10 years. Your mileage may vary but I think Subarus are built to take some abuse.
    Let's just back up for a minute here -- are you positive they are giving you a quote on a manual 2.5X? Not one with the premium package?

Because the MSRP on a Forester 2.5X manual, even with Alaska destination, shouldn't be more than 22K. If it's not a premium package, is it loaded with every other possible OEM option as well as some added by the dealer?

I know you're in a captive situation, but FWIW, a Forester 2.5X manual can be had for under $19K here.

I'd double-check the specifics of the car the Anchorage dealer has. I'd be okay with paying a little bit of a premium given where you are, but $5K more? A skosh under $20K seems fair to me (rebate included).
    I just looked to verify and the base X is listed at 21,970. I don't know if they changed the page or if I was looking at another model.
    Dave,
    You may want to post over in the 2005+ Legacy/Outback forum, where a fellow from the Fairbanks area just picked up a new Outback Basic. He could probably give you a very good idea how much over invoice is achievable at the Alaska dealerships, or whether it'd be worth it to try the L48. Here's a link to his post: xwesx, "Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+" #9721, 5 Jan 2007 7:35 pm

If you'd consider driving a new Forester up from the lower 48, or having one shipped, check out Carter Subaru (Seattle area) online. 4th-largest dealership in the country (2006 sales), experience sending new Subarus out of state (& to Canada), low prices and huge inventory. Drop them an e-mail with exactly what you want (you can search their inventory online) and you'll get a reply w/a low, no-haggle price, take it or leave it.
    Scroll down the page at this link for shippers to AK:http://www.cars101.com/shippers.html
    aladwag, just saw your message. I ended up buying this vehicle for $18.8K plus sales tax from Subaru of Wakefield, MA. They were the easiest to deal with and most competitive in the greater Boston market for my needs. Hope this helps.
    I am a IMBA (Int'l Mtn Bike Assoc) member and they have the Subaru VIP program that gets you invoice pricing. I am wondering if I can pile the $1500 Subaru rebate on top of that to get the car for $19,140 + TTL. Any comments/experience?
    That'd be a good angle to take in this case, but note it's still at the dealer's discretion to accept the VIP pricing. Yes, the VIP price is before rebates. You would need to contact IMBA beforehand to get your VIP documentation from them.
    I think they have over 40 on the lot not to mention a bunch of used ones (previous rental cars). I think they will deal. I'll get the IMBA stuff before I go...or maybe just show them my card and say..."well, I have to wait for this before I can buy" and maybe they'll just do invoice. If they did that I'd just throw an extra $100 with my membership renewal.
    So I called IMBA and got the skinny. The price is actually invoice minus 2% and you can combine it with any SoA rebates/incentives. So according to edmunds...$20015 -2% = $19165 + $625 dest - $49 color adjustment = $20191 - $1500 rebate = $18691

I have that letter printed off in case I get any flak. I called IMBA and they said they will notify SoA and I should have the letter (fax) in 24 to 48 hours.

Should I go in this weekend and talk to them or just wait until I have the letter in hand? I already have financing worked out.

The only place I think they can try to screw me is my trade in, but it shows 18,760 (KBB) and 18250 (NADA), so I'm thinking I can get 18,500.

If I told them 18,000 and a set of alloys (I have snow tires on my Honda that I want to move to Forester). I wonder if that would cost them more or less?

If you haven't yet read that "Confessions of a Salesman" article on edmunds...very informative and entertaining!

Let me know what you think because I might go this weekend.
    They told me to give them some notice before I bring in my CR-V, so they could get a Honda guy to come over since he'd give a higher quote. The guy also said there are no used CR-Vs so they are in demand...hopefully it works out.
    So I wasn't crazy they do have the Forester listed as 23,965 (on the buyatcontinental.com site) but if you click on the Subaru icon and search for Foresters it lists them as 21,970. The quote they gave me was of course the higher one.

They offered my 16000 for my CR-V. I was honest and told them that the car had been in a accident (had a outer door skin replaced) since I figured it would be on CarFax anyway. Well, they said that's why they trade-in is so low. The thing is it doesn't show up at all in CarFax so if they sell it the person isn't going to know.

I had to just leave after they gave me that bid. I really wanted to smack the guy. They only have 1 new CR-V sitting on the lot so I know they want it. They could easily sell it for over 20K.
  • hhmahhma Member Posts: 6
    Neprop,

I am in that neighborhood, actually my first Forester was bought there in 2001. Could you give more information (POC, skills for nogotiation)? I know the sales manager's name is Sal. Also, is there a chance that the rebate be increased to $2K at President's Day? TIA.

Henry
    You might want to craigslist or ebay your CRV and then negotiate for $21,500 for Forester Automatic with Premium package.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The drawback with that plan is that he'd have to pay tax on the full purchase price instead of the couple thousand difference if he traded in his Honda. Oh wait, they don't have sales tax in Alaska do they :P

-Frank
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all,

I have an offer of $19,999 (before TT&L, including Destination) for a 2007 Forester X auto. This price is including the $1,500 rebate and about $1,100 dealer discounts.
    The MSRP on the vehicle is about $22,600. I think I could do better by at least $1,000. Am I way off? I'm in Texas.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Sorry about that-$19,999 INCLUDES the destination fee, but it is before taxes and fees. :shades:
    You can do better in the MD area, try fitzmall.com. But in some regions, like Alaska, that would probably be a great price.

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I guess you can probably squeeze another $500-700 out of the dealer, $1K might be pushing it. In California, I've got Forester X 2006 last August for $19200 - but at that time rebate was $2K, plus 07's were arriving to the lots en mass.
    I don't think you're out of line. Assuming there are no options, total invoice is $21,400. Take off the rebate to get $19,900, and another $1000 in dealer incentives would be $18,900. $19k would be a great target.
  • dfpinedfpine Member Posts: 9
    I live in NYC. After sending out quote requests to 16 dealers nearest my zip code for out-the-door price excl. TTL, I got maybe three bids that are at or below $20K. Sticker price with a handful of options (e.g. rear bumper cover, auto-dimming mirror with compass, and splash guards) is $23,076 while invoice is $21,664 before $1,500 rebate. The rest of the dealers either say they won't go any lower than their $20K+ bids or say that the dealers that made the low bids would mark up with bogus charges when I go there. I'm gonna go for the lowest deal, and hope that I won't be disappointed. What do you guys think?

Btw I have to thank people who mentioned fitzmall.com in this forum. Although I live in NYC this serves as a great reference point for how low the dealers could get.
    Isn't the Forester X Auto with Premium package the most likly trim level after the base to try and negoiate for? At the dealers I vistied in western mass they either had the base or premium package or ll bean models. No XT or Limiteds...
  • dfpinedfpine Member Posts: 9
    For affordability, I decided to stick with Base because it has a $1,500 rebate instead of $500 offered on higher trims. That makes the Premium at least $2K more than Base... Besides the power seat there isn't much in the premium package I seriously wished for. We were looking at leather option initially but the LL Bean package only has beige leather instead of the black leather on the XT Limited. Then we sort of talked ourselves into getting a more utility version of the Forester.

Almost all dealers have at least 3-5 Base models when I was clicking through each one's inventory in NY metro. Far fewer LL Bean's but there are a lot of Premium's too. Maybe the Premium will be offered with a higher rebate next month?