Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Gotcha. Ask them to appraise it, and if it's lower, ask them to match the Ford dealer's offer (at least).
  • dsjdsj Member Posts: 3
    It is done. I now have a Forester Sport XT.
    Here are the numbers.

MSRP $27950
    Trade In $4500
    Final Vehicle Price $20625
    and I get the cross bars at cost.
    I think it is a fair deal. :shades:
    NICE! They gave you even more for the trade.

Congrats! :shades:
  • ukyo2ukyo2 Member Posts: 2
    07 forester 2.5 X, auto, with some opitions
    MSRP $23275

got it $18500 + doc fees

I'm in oregon. So no tax.
    Great deal for an auto, yes. Congrats.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Wow, nice deal, ukyo2! Forester X has become an incredible value with the current prices available. $18,500 for an AWD vehicle with good utility, class-leading safety, excellent reliability and resale, lots of standard equipment and good power and handling... pretty amazing... what else even comes close at that price?

Did you pick that up at Carr in Beaverton?
  • ukyo2ukyo2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks jeffmc!
    I got it at Kendall in Eugene. I also quoted at Carr in Beaverton, but they can't beat this price. ;)
    Kendall, eh? I'll have to remember that dealership. Carr's prices are usually unbeatable, from what I've read & heard.
  • pbaipbai Member Posts: 7
    07 Forester, base X, automatic
    with some options ((rear bumper cover,cargo tray,
    splash guards,tailpipe cover)
    MSRP: $23,164
    Invoice: ~$21980
    rebate: $2000

paid: $18376 + tax/fee (rebates goes to dealer)
    OTD: $20350

Dealer offered me $1500 service contract and $1000 extended warranty, I rejected both. He thought I am an Idiot.

I am in Santa Clara, CA

thanks
    $1600 below invoice before rebates are applied. Impressive. With that high of a factory-to-dealer incentive, Subaru must really want to move some units and make room for the '08s.
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    was it stevens creek dealer?
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Surprised Carr couldn't beat Kendall. Carr and Hannah Subaru both advertise great weekend prices, often below $18k. Last weekends ad @ Carr was for two 5 speed X's MSRP $22,122 for $16,895.

http://adserver1.harvestadsdepot.com/portorgonian/ss/carrsubaru/
  • pbaipbai Member Posts: 7
    It was Stevens' Creek.
    They didn't give me good price until I showed them that Albany was willing to sell it for cheaper.
    so they give $20350 (to beat Albany's $20450).

Albany was unhappy since I used their bid to lower Steven's. So the owner of Albany said he felt he was taken advanaged of and he don't want to give me lower price. So I cut the deal with Steven's at 3pm May 30.

At 7:30pm, May 31, Albany contacted me again and offer me $20000 OTD price ($1950 below invoice!). I told him it is too late :shades: This guy must be one car short from the big check for meeting monthly target.
    Some of these prices are unreal. In 1998 mine cost $19.2k before taxes, and it was a base model MT5.
  • jimmyriversjimmyrivers Member Posts: 2
    I never mentioned price because I was shocked how I was initially presented the price. The salesperson brought the invoice to me and said 500 below this and I can have it for that. You buy the car where you feel comfortable i felt comfortable there they really took care of me and i wanted to tell people that. Sorry for those that i have offended with my initial caps lock on. Have a great day!
    My apologies to you, sir. :blush: Sometimes it's hard to tell real experience from propaganda. Seems I was mistaken. Glad your Subaru-buying experience was so positive and hope you're enjoying your XT... it's a great vehicle.
  • maria14maria14 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let everyone know what I paid for a basic Forester XT, June 2007, at Carlsen in Redwood City, CA:

What I bought:
    Forester XT, chamapagne color
    Automatic transmission
    Mud flaps
    All-weather rubber mats
    Rear rubber bumper guard
    Rear plastic cargo tray
    Cost: $19,000 (which included the $625 destination charge and a $2K rebate that went to the dealer).

I then added on leather seats (front and back) for $1,200. I think the leather is nicer than what comes standard with the LL Bean model. Before I bought seats thru the dealer, I called a car upholstery shop for pricing and they said to get it thru the dealer - cheaper and it would keep the warranty intact.

I also did all my shopping on the internet. I e-mailed various dealers and played them off against each other 'can you beat this price?'. Not sure that I got the best price, but at least it was below dealer invoice.
  • teenspiritteenspirit Member Posts: 3
    Is it X or XT? Can you get 2k rebate on XT?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Must be the X; leather is standard on the XT, unless it is a Sports.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Congrats, Maria.
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2004 subaru Outback limited with under 8,000 mi which I'm going to sell (plan to buy hybrd/diesal genre).Would like others opinion on where you think the best market for it is. I live in Florida however I drive up to "middle America" twice a year around Indiana/KY area. Don't you think Subaru is better appreciated there than here?
    appreciate any suggestions
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    $19k for a new XT would be highway robbery!!! :surprise:
    There would be more demand, but also more supply, i.e. competing used vehicles.

Go ahead and list it now and see if anyone bites. If not then take it up with you and try again over there.

Lots of demand here in the Mid Atlantic and especially in New England, too.
  • maria14maria14 Member Posts: 2
    It was the X, but with one of the packages included (rubber floor mats, cargo area mat and mud flaps).
  • llaugustllaugust Member Posts: 1
    My recent experience purchasing a Forester 2.5x was the best ever, thanks to the information provided by this forum. To return the favor, here are the particulars of my deal. I purchased a new 2007 end of year model (108 miles on the OD) from Stohlman in Tysons Corner Virginia. My salesperson was the most laid back fellow I've ever encountered in a dealership. I won't violate the forum rules by posting names, but his initials are CP and I highly recommend his service. MRSP was $21,195. Invoice was $19945 and the internet price was $17,945. I got the internet price (no fuss, no muss) minus $1500 for my 1999 Ford Explorer, about $40 less than the Kelley trade-in value (I knew my Ford's transmission and engine were about to fall apart, so I was happy with the trade). Taxes were $605 (3% on the sum of the invoice price and $225 processing fee that was noted on their website (tax rates can be verified on state DMV websites). Tags, registration and a 0.17% dealer's business license tax came to $55. So the bottom line for me was $17,331. Using the warranty pricing at stevemoyersubaru.com and the discount advice on this forum (ask for 50% discount, settle for 40%), I got a Gold Plus 7/70 plan for $738. But I have since returned it (Subaru gives you 90 days to return it with full refund). I decided the 5/50 on the powertrain was good enough. I love my Forester and can't imagine that a 2008 would have been worth another $3300. Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
    5/60 you mean. I'm sure that was just a typo.

Congrats! :shades:
    Congratulations! Glad your purchase experience was so positive (great deal, by the way!). I wish more dealerships would realize an easy, no-hassle experience like this makes people actually enjoy buying cars and brings in repeat business and new business through positive word-of-mouth.

Doesn't it feel great to come out of a dealership feeling happy & like you got a great deal? :D :shades:
  • daustin97222daustin97222 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Just wanted to add my experience.

Forester 2.5x, 5spd, basic package.

Sticker was $21,946. I took in an ad from a competing dealer that said $4500 off sticker on ALL '07s in stock. They matched it without a mountain of fuss. I actually bought a $549 oil change card (dealer), to throw them a bone, and because we tend to keep our cars until hell freezes. In fact, I bought the Forester to replace a '91 Loyale wagon with 225k on the clock, and a blown head gasket (I decided not to fix it).

It was a smooth deal, though I don't think that I "stole" it. They (of course) tried to get me to buy all sorts of nonsense, including extended service packages and paint sealant, all of which would have added a bunch. I think that the service package to 72k miles was $2200!

Best of luck to you all. Here in Portland, the '07 inventory seems to be winding down, and in fact, I saw another car sale closing as we were picking up ours.
    Under $17.5k for your 5-spd 2.5X... very nice. :shades:
    Now it's $4500 off MSRP for all Foresters and $10,000 off MSRP for remaining 06 & 07 Tribecas.

http://adserver1.harvestadsdepot.com/portorgonian/ss/carrsubaru/001/001_001AD/001_001AD.shtml
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    That must be local only, not national or regional.

$4500 off MSRP is about right normally anyway: most Subies sell for invoice, then subtract the current $2000 rebate (at least on the X model) and you'll easily get near a total of $4500 off MSRP.

-Brian
    Hmm, maybe I need a Tribeca...

Yep. Just a local ad. I've seen better prices on the X before, but $4500 off all Foresters in stock is pretty good.

Starting at $10,000 off the Tribeca is a great deal! Didn't see any 06's available, but they have a 07 5 passenger limited that would run about $23,600 with that kind of discount. If I only I needed one. :-)
    They still have brand new 2006 Tribecas? :confuse:
    Ad said 06 and 07. No 06's listed in Subaru dealer inventory, but they might have one or two. They haven't been selling like hotcakes around here.
    23K range for a limited is tempting. 07 or no, 10k buys a lot of premium fuel. A 5 pass limited in the 21k range would get me in a lot of trouble...

• vtkahnsvtkahns Member Posts: 10
    Potentially looking for a Forester.. got it down to the premimum package as what we would like.. the 2007 has 1000 off msrp .. 2008 $500.. but seems to me as if the MSRP is 1100 less on the 2008s.. no brainer ? However.. the financing deals may not apply to the 2008s as it currently does to the 2007s.

Saw an advertised 2007 in Maine (I am in Vermon) for $21,100..Seems like quite a deal. Not the color we were after so they are searching around for that and perhaps coming close on the 2008.

Anyone offer their experience on the choice upon me ?

Thanks

S
    $21.1K for the 07 XT sounds mighty good; is this for a sports or a limited?

This is for the 07 X (oops) with Prem Package.. 5 speed...

They have an 08 5SP X w/ Prem Package coming off the boat in the next week for $21,498 so far..with little back and forth.. We thought we wanted Urban Grey which is gone for 08.. replaced with a much darker grey..hate the black car I have now.. impossible to keep clean..I hope the dark grey is easier than that.

Is this still a decent aggressive price for the X / PP ?

S
    That's a good offer for the '08... not sure what the factory-to-dealer incentives are on the '08 Premium, but I'd bet at best they could only drop a few hundred dollars... price seems well worth it to go for the '08 vs. '07. Only changes are illuminated driver's side window switches & PZEV badges (which would apply in VT & ME), but you'd get a year's better resale for only a couple hundred bucks up front.

And yes, it looks like you can't combine rebates & incentives on the '08s, but get pre-qualified at a local bank or credit union - someone else can probably give you just as good a rate, and you can always use the bank's rate as a bargaining chip with the dealership's finance dept. My dealership's always been able to beat the rates of our very competitive local credit union.

Besides the new dark gray, there's also a new Steel Silver Metallic color available on the '08s. The dark gray's nice, but if you hate the black, I'd hold out for this color, which would be very low maintenance:

Sounds like you're well on your way to a great deal! :shades:
    The dealer we were working with said he can do the 4.9 for the 08 (which appears better than my credit union anyway which was in the 6s I think ) .

As to the color.. is the Steel Silver the same as last year's crystal Grey metalic ? We did like the urban grey better than the light sliver one.. but from a keeping clean standpoint, realize it's a good choice. The dark one will look dirty constantly I fear..

So much to think about.

S
    I have the Steel Grey from 06, which is effectively the Urban grey from 07. It looks great clean and not too bad dirty, but it definitely shows that dirt more then a straight silver would. There's a pic of my color in my profile/photo album.

• kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Anything under 22K is a great deal for a Premium Package. I paid 21,748 for an 07 last Oct. and that was the second best deal I have seen until you two showed up. I have an MT also.
  • away2away2 Member Posts: 1
    I like the look and price of the older Forester, 02-04 but wonder if any years stand out more than others for reliability/ problems? I also really like the wood grain on the dash of the 02 and would like any feed back.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Considering fit/finish, road noise, reliability, etc... I strongly suggest you to get a 2003 or 2004 Forester.

2001 (and prior) had wheel bearing and head gasket issues. It was not a wide spread problem but a few had these issues. 2002 is reliable but still belongs to first generation.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    If you go for an XT, the 04's had an STi engine vs a WRX in later years...
  • vedikavedika Member Posts: 1
    I am thrilled! Bought a 2006 LL Bean yesterday! Spent hours on Saturday and 2 hours yesterday to complete the sale but survived and am very happy. When they brought the car up for me we sat in it going over the inside again where things were etc..and off I drove. I drove 4 miles and when I got out of the car I noticed a chip in the window on the passenger side! It was a little star with spokes spreading. It was not there yesterday when I drove it for test drive home...and did not happen on the 4 mile drive home. I would have heard it. I feel sick about it. They told me to come in and they will repair it. It may have happened at the dealer overnight and I didn't see it. any comments...thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Go to our new Dealer Rater to post your sales or service review!
  • sistinesistine Member Posts: 6
    Been shopping for an 07 Forester X Sport Model Got Price down to $20,000 for an automatic. Is this a good price? Taxes , dest. charges etc have to be added on. 4.9% int Financing for 63 mos. Deal is on til July 31. Should I wait til Aug. for maybe better incentives? I am in Western NY. Opinions anyone?
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Are you sure it doesn't include destination charge? What options does it have? Destination charge is $625. So the car price will be $20625+TTL. There is a $2000 rebate (at least for my zip code). $20,000 including $625 destination charge seems like a fair price.