Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ewuewu Member Posts: 13
    We are interested in a 2007 Forester, it has finance deal now. But I found on edmunds that both the MSRP and invoice price of 2008 model are lower than those of 2007. Not sure if we should go for 2008 instead.
    Thanks
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    You must be comparing Premium models. Subaru simply dropped the price on the Premium trim by around $900 for the '08s... invoice for a Premium automatic is $22,726 in '08 and $23,623 in '07. The other trims for '08 are priced similarly from '07. I'd go for the '08 as long as you're getting a good deal on it. You should be able to get invoice minus $500 rebate, minus somewhere in the ballpark of $750-$1200. Say $21k-$21.5k without any options added on.

Are you an Eastern Washington University grad (or are "EWU" your initials)? Have a friend that graduated from there a few years back.
    Thank you. I wanna go for 2008.
    But the dealer give me a pretty good deal on 2007 forester.
    $21,254 plus tax/doc fee/title/plate/inspection sticker for premium with leather seats/6-cd changer.
    I am in Masschusetts. This seems pretty good to me.
    Not sure if it worth to wait several months for 2008.

BTW: I am not from Eastern Washington University, "EWU" is a name the system picked for me.
    No need to wait several months for an '08... they're at the dealerships now. I've seen an '08 Premium automatic advertised for $21.6k.

The CD changer is standard, so should be a non-factor deciding between the '07 or '08. I have no idea what leather aftermarket seats run, so can't really judge how much that adds to the '07's value. Sounds like they're offering about $2400 below invoice (including the $1000 rebate) and throwing in leather seats. It does sound like a good price. With the '07 you'll get the aftermarket leather seats and save about $500 bucks vs the '08. With the '08 you'll get a year's better resale value. It seems to come down to how much you like the leather seats! :)
    Thanks.
    I will go for 2008 if I can get a good price from dealer, otherwise I will take the 2007 deal.
  • chicagosubaruchicagosubaru Member Posts: 1
    MSRP 24517
    Invoice 22860
    Rebate 2000
    Cost 20860
    Trade-in (they offered 7,500, I had one other at (9,000) - Kelly Blue book trade-in was 8,600.
    Final trade-in 9000
    Final Cost 11,860
    63 Months finance at 4.9% - no other cost.
    From Gary Lang Autos in McHenry, Il.
  • sistinesistine Member Posts: 6
    OK I 've bought my new 2007 Forester. They convince you it is such a great car until they take you in the finance office & try to sell you a warranty. It sort of scares you when they start telling you what can happen. Needless to say what is everyones opinion about ext. warranties. Good idea or what? $1900 for 7 yrs which is really 4 yrs after the 3/36mo. By the way I did not get it.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    OWWW, Run away from that. There are dealers that will sell you the Subaru Gold package for thier price and that is roughly half of the "retail." That is a rip. I was going to be able to get a 60 five year for 350 (100 deductible) and that was the Gold package. The retail is like 700. You can do a lot of repairs yourself for 1700. There is a dealer online "Steve Moyer" that does warranties at retail but with a 10% discount and a Suby warranty is a Suby warranty anywhere. AND you don't have to buy now, you have until your factory warranty is out to buy...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    http://www.moyersubaru.com/en_US/

$1900 sounds very high, I'd aim for $1300.

You do get full roadside assistance for the duration, as well.
  • sistinesistine Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everybody for the info.
    I picked my car up Sat. 2007 Sport X. My friend at work came out to see my car. I started it up & it shook & sounded terrible.It drove ok.
    ThanI had the air on,all the way down to 65 (yes all the right dials were pressed & lit). It never got cold enough where I felt like raising the temp. I am starting to get really upset now.
    I made a stop on the way home & it didnt start up with that shaking way again. But the car never got cold enough. Its warm here in Buffalo (haha), last week it was hotter. 80 is warm but not extremely hot. My car never got cold enough.
    Please tell me these are just little glitches. I havent had a new car in so long.
    My previous Legacy would sometimes "sputter" like that at start up if I didn't quite turn the key long enough. Hopefully it's just that. But it's a brand new car, and any problems will be covered under warranty for the next three years, so don't get TOO stressed. :)

Regarding the air conditioning... seems to be a mixed bag with Subaru. Some folks live in desert climates & have no complaints, others live in mild climates and do. Two things that really help: pushing the "recirculate" button allows the system to cool air that is already colder than outside and tinting your windows (they don't have to be really dark for it to make a big difference). Foresters have big windows, so the sun's heat can really be magnified in there w/o some type of tint. You should be able to tint all the windows for around $300.
    Make sure you prime the fuel pump for pressure before you crank the starter. That helps.

Also, my OE battery was just weak. Something like 265 CCAs. I replaced it with a 535 CCA battery and it was smoother after that.
  • ewl930ewl930 Member Posts: 21
    Hi:
    Got a quote on a 2007 Forester 2.5 Premium Package for $20,995; sound like a good deal?

thanks!
    Sure does. Are they including freight? It almost sounds too low. Ask what fees they add to that, better yet ask for an out-the-door price.

That strategy worked for me. I told them I needed an exact price and that I would bring a Cashier's Check for that exact amount. They got it down to the penny.

Best part was I kept pointing to the check and saying "I'm paying exactly that much" and it took all the haggling out of the equation.
  • ewl930ewl930 Member Posts: 21
    Gee, now I've got a quote for $20,900 out the door on a new 2008 w/premium! How are they going to sell the 2007s with 2008 prices that low?!
    I dunno, but I may get my wife to sit inside one again. She wants a 2009 but that's hard to resist!
  • satchmox2000satchmox2000 Member Posts: 1
    I would strongly suggest NOT working with Shortline Subaru, in Aurora, CO.

Long story as short as possible: we purchased a new car recently, and were involved in an accident that totaled that car (thank God my family suffered only minor injuries). Already dealing with the frustration of working with the insurance company, we finally got into a position to look for a replacement vehicle. One we had been looking at at our previous dealer sold the day before the insurance finally settled (nearly a month after the accident), so we and the dealer tried to find an equivalent. This is a fairly rare car (Subaru Forester XT Sports 5 speed), so we felt lucky that another dealer happened to get the _exact_ car we would have ordered (the same color and options as our now totaled car).

Enter Shortline.
    Apparently there is bad blood between these dealers. Shortline would not only not return calls to our dealer (who wished to trade the car, a common occurance in the industry), they wouldn't even return MY calls, asking for a price. When I called again, and asked for internet sales, I finally got an estimate from a salesperson, at $2500 more than my dealer was willing to sell a nearly identical car for. I stated they'd have to do much better than that. The sales manager called back, and pushed me for a price I was looking for. When I told him the price I'd buy the car that night for (which was only competetive with the other dealer, not lower), he went on a long lecture about being entitled to a profit (which I've no problem with, but 10%? c'mon). When I then inquired why they would not trade the car for a nearly identical car (same model and trim, different color and options), he again when into how they were entitled to profit, and did not have to help another dealer (true, but he hurt more than the other dealer). I informed him that to order the car, I would have to wait six weeks, and have to pay car rental for that time (over $1000), to which his cold blooded response was to _add that onto the price I requested_, to show he'd be "saving" me money if he charged that much more than my dealer. He then tried to convince me my dealer was lying to me (which they weren't... we've dealt with them before). I understand this is business, but businesses are run by people, and people should be responsible for how they treat others during business or otherwise.

HORRIBLE experience with the sales manager, the internet sales person, and the general sales manager at Shortline Automotive. I wonder if they have trouble sleeping for trying to take advantage of people in our situation.
    Amazing prices, under 21K. I did the best I knew about at approx 21,674 (as I remember)last Oct. and then I read about a 21,6 something awhile back and now under 21K. Wow, that's good for a premium package.
    My wife wants to wait for an 09 model but this is tempting me to put her in an 08 just to get that value.
  • danellhdanellh Member Posts: 14
    I just got an OTD of $19,500 for a 2008 Subuaru Forester Basic Model with manual transmission. Do you think I can do better? I'm in Oregon.
    Carr Subaru in Beaverton seems to generally have the lowest pricing in Oregon. I believe it's all "no-haggle", what you pay is what's on the window. After $1500 rebate, invoice is around $19,000, not including any taxes and fees. That's the highest I'd pay, and you should be able to get even lower than that.

UPDATE: I just checked Fitzmall online and they've got a manual '08 Forester for $18,565. That gives you a good target price.
    Thanks, that is what I thought i.e. a better price could be had.
    Well I just want to say I finally made a deal on a Subaru Forester 2.5X Manual. The local dealer would not budge from $19500 and appeared to waffle about getting me a dog guard at a discounted price. So I went three hours up the road and got the same vehicle for $19000 which includes DMV and the dog guard. Some say I could have done even better, but hey I'm happy. Can't wait to go pick it up. :)
    Hey, sounds like you did great! :) Congrats on a great deal on a great vehicle.
    Congrats and good for you for making the 3 hour drive. You earned $167 per hour. :D
  • gerhard1gerhard1 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a forester 2.5xt limited. My question is that the dealer has both a new 2007 or can order be a 2008. The 2007 is in the color etc that I want and he is looking to get rid of it. What would be a good price to make it worth getting the 2007 vs the 2008? It has dimming mirror and one or 2 more options (invoice like 200 on those).

Any help would be appreciated.
  • aladwagaladwag Member Posts: 8
    I'm in NYC and there seems to be no leverage on price, where all the dealers have $23k for a 2008 Premium Automatic, and I'm going nuts trying reading about 2008 Premium automatics for $20.5K

Where should I be shopping in the NorthEast to save $2K on the car?
    Fitzmall, MD. Check 'em out online... trip might be worth the savings. They're a large dealership, but they don't have any automatic '08 Premiums in stock, so I'd guess that model's selling pretty well. Based on the price of their manual Premiums, I'd expect them to sell for about $21.5K.
    I'd shoot for $25,200-$25,500 on an '07 XT Ltd automatic. Unfortunately, it's probably only about $1000 less than you could get an '08 for. And '08 XT Ltd automatic has VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control - an advanced stability control), but '07 does not. Besides being a nice safety feature, VDC may lower your insurance rates as well, so you may want to check on those rates before making the decision.

If the dealer's offering a good price on the '08... somewhere around $26.5K... it may just make more sense to go that route.
  • mart2mart2 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at a 2005 Subaru Forester with 7800 miles on it. One owner, appears to be in great condition & the price is right ($15k). However, when I went to test drive it, it didnt start. The salesman said someone might have left a particular switch in the "on" position; he jumped it and it drove great (and they replaced the battery). I would like to purchase it, but I am worried that the battery problem might be a bad sign. Is it? Any advice on how to proceed? Thanks.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    It's fairly common for cars left on dealer's lots to have dead batteries (careless test drivers) and if they replaced the battery I wouldn't worry. Besides, it should still have another 6 months at least left on the original warranty in case there is something else wrong.

-Frank
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    That happened to me when I went to look at a new Forester. It wouldn't start. I passed on that one though, and bought another one.
    P.S. I usually go with my gut on these -- the dealer where the first one wouldn't start -- I drove a second new Forester, and each time I would put it from reverse to drive it made a "ping" noise. I passed on that one too. The salesman was not very happy -- thought he was being strung along by someone who couldn't make up their mind. So I drove a third one and bought it.

If you are uncomfortable, you don't want that nagging doubt in your mind to spoil your enjoyment.

Another example -- I'd love to have a Jeep Wrangler, but all the posts on these forums that I've read about them having stalling problems while driving makes me too uneasy to buy one.

Do what gives you peace of mind.
    7800 miles on an 05? and 15K? That vehicle does not even have enough miles on it for something to be wrong. I would carfax it and try to get another 500 off. I bought a new 04 X for 17K. That is actually a very good deal for an i.e. new car. Why so few miles is a question that comes to mind.
    Carfax shows one owner (with title & inspections done in the next town over from me). The dealer says the seller was movung to barbados--that's why he sold it. As for the low mileage, it might be that he was more of a seasonal resident (in a resort town) and just might not have driven it that much. The dealer has tried to reassure me about the warranty. Im going to try getting it down at least $5k.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Don't shoot the messenger, but, get it down 'at least $5k'? Prepare to be disappointed.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Oops! Serious typo...I meant $500. ... Im not sure if I succeeded after all the juggling with my trade-in value. Let's just say I got them down $0, but they gave me what they considered a generous amount on my trade-in.
    Does anyone know anything about or have you used the guaranteed trade-in program when buying another Subaru? I have a 2006 Forester X, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Forester Premium or an Outback. Thanks.

I was on the My Subaru page recently, but didn't see anything about the program -- is it offered only certain times during the year?
    It seems to be buried a little, but found it on Subaru.com with a search... here's the link:
    http://www.subaru.com/misc/gtp/2007/eligible.jsp

Looks like you'd better be quick, though. Must take delivery by Oct. 31. I've not used the program, but others here have... hopefully they'll chime in. :)
    Go get it appraised. Some people were pleasantly surprised.

Someone had an Outback Sport with a KBB in the $11-12k range and they were offered something like $16k.

Run, don't walk, I say.

I really hope our 2002 Legacy is eligible for this when the new Foresters arrive. I'm all over that deal.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game makes me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    I used the program a year ago trading in my 04 X for an 07 Premium Package. I know I got a good deal that did exceed all the values as stated and it was kind of proved by the fact that my dealer didn't want it and let Subaru take it to Colorado I heard. My dealer said they couldn't make any money due to how much Subaru gave me... I was maxed out on the mileage limitations of the deal and had gotten the goodies out of my 04...
    Do you remember the mileage limit? Is it fixed, or based on the model year?
    I think they give you 15K a year. I was at like 44K with a 45K limit on a three year old vehicle. It wouldn't have been as good a deal if I had a lot less miles...
    I tried to use this program to trade in my car today, but apparently my car's VIN number is not included. I got nowhere with Subaru except jacked around at the dealership. I was ready to buy a 2008 Forester TODAY, but they weren't being straight with me and were trying to jack up the interest rate, lied about my trade-in value, etc. I was very disgusted when I left there. :mad:
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    I thought the current advertised trade-in program was a promotional deal to get people into the new Impreza. GTP was only given to used Imprezas that were traded towards a 08. I'd guess we may see it this promo again when the new Forester comes out next year...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

The dealership tried to access this trade-in program as a last ditch effort to "try to get me more for my trade," because they weren't really giving me what they said they were giving me (and could've easily given me) in the first place. Long story. . . bad ending for them. :shades:
    Yes, it seems GTP's only being offered on 2002-2006 Imprezas being traded in on any new '08 Subaru in dealer's inventory (take delivery by Oct. 31).

Funny thing is, you'd think it'd be the opposite, i.e. trade any 2002-2006 Subaru in on an '08 Impreza. Don't know why they'd encourage only Impreza owners to buy any '08 Subie. Perhaps it boosts resale value on Impreza, allowing them to offer lower lease rates down the road on '08 Imprezas.
  • johndix60johndix60 Member Posts: 21
    I have a quote on a new 2007 Forester 2.5X LL Bean Edition with Homelink, Rear Bumper Cover, Beige Cargo Tray, a set of All Weather mats, and the custom tail pipe cover, for $23800.

Anyone able to comment on this proposal?

Thanks,
    John
  • dcwestbydcwestby Member Posts: 29
    I went to Appleway Subaru, Spokane, WA today... To see what my 05 Ford Freestyle is worth trade in.

According to them, $10,600, a bit low?

A subaru Forester X prem. 08 at about 27k or so, meaning 17k with their trade in value and ballpark 360/month.

Camp Subaru, a different dealer in the same town, may offer a higher value but only if I'm ready to deal.
    Advice?

I did email Appleway person telling them to up the trade in value of my freestyle [has 24200ish miles on it] to 13-14k, then possibly I'd be willing to work something out.

Again, comments?