Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tomsitomsi Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

In NYC area, got an internet quote for the above with only splash gauard kit added for $22,450 before TTL, is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance.

-Tom
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    That is at least $1,000 too high in my opinion. (If MSRP is $23,790 that is.)
    Chuck,

Thanks. That means the invoice is around 21500, correct?

With VIP program, is it that it only gets you 2% discount over the invoice price?
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Invoice would be around $22,433.

You don't want to use VIP in mid April. You can easily get $1,000 under invoice without even haggling. These vehicles have been on the lot for upwards of 8 months. Get a quote from a high volume dealer such as Heuberger in Colorado Springs. In your email tell them you have $1,000 under invoice from your local dealer and can they beat that price by enough to make sense for you to fly to Colorado to pick it up. I bet they can beat that easily by $400. Probably wouldn't make sense to fly their but at least then you can tell your local dealer that Heuberger is $1,400 under invoice.

What dealer are you talking to?
    Thanks again.

My VIP wound not be in effective until Mid Oct., just joined. I am looking now because of the 2.9 financing, I am pretty sure I am eligible with my credit score.

http://www.heritagesubaru.net/Model-Forester%20(Natl)/new-cars.aspx?model=forester+(natl)

This dealer has the same configuration excepts splash guard kit, which probably only $60 different, for $21,574. It is in Baltimore which is only about 3 hours drive. I would drive there if I can save $1k plus. I bought my used RAV4 from Dover Delaware back in 2003. Would not mind to do it again.

Should I wait till Oct with VIP where the 2010 will be out and thus 2009 will be cheaper or buy now? I am leaning toward the former as I am not in hurry to buy one.

The dealer is the sole Subaru dealer in Staten Island, Manfredi family.
    I start with them just because they are near by, of course I know they will not be the cheapest on the first shot.

-Tom
  • fufujuicefufujuice Member Posts: 3
    Just got a great deal on a 2009 Forester:

2.5X Premium w/All Weather Package
    PZEV (required in OR)
    rear bumper cover
    splash guards
    luggage compartment cover
    cargo tray

$22,499 plus DMV fees

I believe this is at least $1000 below invoice (more I believe since Edmunds doesn't calculate PZEV option). Negotiated via email for a hassle free experience. Went in just to pay, sign papers, and pick up the car.

Love the car so far. HUGE moonroof!
    Congrats!

Is this Manual or Automatic?
  • fufujuicefufujuice Member Posts: 3
    Automatic
  • burgerchefburgerchef Member Posts: 5
    I have a price of 18,700 for a 2009 Forester X with AT in Sage Green. No additional options but seems like a good deal when compared to the price of older Foresters and new. This car has 4000 miles on it. What do you think?
  • jingyeljingyel Member Posts: 6
    2009 FORESTER 2.5X AUTO in CT

EDMUNDS invoice price 20,800. Dealer offered 20,456 + TTL by email.

This saturday, I went to the dealer office and talked with the sales manager. I gave him 20,000 OTD w/ options, and hoped to make deal at 20,700. The sale manager only gave me 22,600 and told me that is the Edmunds price.

I showed him the OTD prices I found from Edmunds forum. He said those people lied. Then he turned very rude and said we should go to the Ford or Dodge car dealers. He looks 100% American, but he talks like he was brought up in Japan!

I can drive my 99 camry for another 10k miles.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Recommend you contact Subaru to let them know of the bait & switch tactics. Then, look for another Subaru dealer. They aren't all like that.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Compare to a no-haggle dealer like fitzmall.com (the next poster would do well to shop there as well).

A demo like that should go for at least 10% less than the new car cost, for the equivalent.

Any less and you're better off buying new.

Keep in mind the warranty started ticking on that car the day it went in to duty, so you won't get the full 36 months or 36k miles.

I would aim for 15-20% less than a new one, or pass on it entirely.
  • burgerchefburgerchef Member Posts: 5
    I couldn't get them to cone down anymore on the price. I think the hot Phila weather took it's toll. I now own the loaner with 4000 miles but I love the car for now. I do not see how I could get them to come down anymore considering they list 07 and 08 Foresters for only 1000 to 2000 less. Maybe they are an expensive dealer but I'm glad the whole thing is done. Thanks for your reply.
    Well in that case, never mind....congrats!

A year from now I doubt you'll even remember that you bought a demo.
  • rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    I am in the market for a 2009 Forester 2.5 X Premium,
    What is the lowest price I would have to pay ? I would pay cash.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Which dealer did you go to. I also bought a 09 Premium forester back in May 08 and I thought I got a great deal.

25100 OTD:

09 Auto Premium
    Sport Grill
    Wheel Well Gaurds
    Splash Gaurds
    Rear Spoiler
    Wheel Locks
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    I am looking into the Forester Limited (mud guards, and remote starter). Has anyone received quotes below invoice? We are in the Philly area.

Thanks
  • sunil30sunil30 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking to buy a 2009 Forester and got the following quotes - Are these good rates or should I ask for more reduction in prices? Thanks for your suggestions (Subaru in Houston, TX). I could possibly knock off $ 300-400 by removing the options of luggage cover etc.

BASE FORESTER 2.5X QUOTE
    Obsidian Black 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X with automatic transmission, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, rear bumper cover and auto-dimming mirror.
    $22,392 -- Subaru Factory MSRP

$20,734 -- Subaru Dealer Price Tax, title, license extra.

FORESTER 2.5X PREMIUM QUOTE

Silver 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium with automatic transmission, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, rear bumper cover and splash guards.
    $24,641 -- Subaru Factory MSRP

$22,738 -- Subaru Dealer Price Tax, title, license extra.

He also says -
    Along with these great no-hassle price quotes,
    Get financing as low as 2.9% through Subaru Finance. W.A.C.
    Best Price Guarantee: We will beat any Houston Subaru Dealer's Price by $100!
    FREE Lifetime Powertrain Warranty: Unlimited Age, Unlimited Miles.
    Complimentary 2-year/24,000 mile maintenance.
  • zilchzilch Member Posts: 6
    MSRP 22,300

Dealer offered 21,400.

I have offered $20,000. They are not interested. Should I shop my offer to other dealers? Or, pay more?
  • snuggleningsnugglening Member Posts: 5
    I think 20k is reasonable amount, I found play on fitz mall google it that is around that price and a place in texas online that is selling what oyu want for 19245 I think. Anyone think someone can offer 19k in check and get one out the door? 2009 models are coming, plus there will be a glut of cars available soon.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

$20k is reasonable as long as that's not an out-the-door price.

If you are willing to add state tax and tags, I'd hold the line at that offer.
  • zilchzilch Member Posts: 6
    In North Carolina, got the 2.5x base, sticker msrp $22,310
    $20,122 (negotiated price) plus 425 doc fee = 20,567. Plus TTL, of course.

got one with newer vin, last six digits start with 792.

dealer had older VIN cars with crappy gey interior for 19.999.

Now, off to the other forums to find out what kinds of things are wrong with these forester 2.5x.
    Congrats.

Rattles are probably the #1 complaint but overall early numbers reported to TrueDelta are actually quite good.
  • jms_otjms_ot Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see if this is a fair shakes offer for this Forester PZEV (NJ) before I pull the trigger.

MSRP - 24943
    Invoice - 22779
    Options:
    Platinum Cargo Tray - $75 ($46 invoice)
    Rear Bumper Cover - $78 ($51 invoice)

I was leaning to offer 22500 plus t/t/l. Fitzmall has a similar model with a few other options at a internet price of 22854

Thanks!
  • mrsalmrsal Member Posts: 2
    Greetings all,

After owning Honda's for the last few years we are thinking of adding a Subaru Forester to the fold and had a few questions that I hope the forum can shed some light on.

We are looking into getting a white X-Limited with some common options (splash guard, bumper guard) and our local Southern California dealer is offering $500 under their invoice for a 2009 and 7/70000 warranty for $990 and the vehicle is at another dealership. If I go with a 2010 custom ordered it looks like it is at the invoice price (I heard the prices have gone up $350, confirmation anyone?).

IMHO I am leaning on getting the 2010 but then again $850 dollar savings is not bad in my pocket if the models are the same and the 2010s seem to be in or coming in very soon (well at least they are listed in their inventory).

My question is should I push for more discount on the 2009 even though they don't have exactly what I want there or start dealing with the other dealers in the area. To date the local person has been nice to deal with. I looked over the fitzmall link and was seeing ALOT of discounted prices there and thinking that I should be able to push a bit harder.

Thanks for any help/feedback you can provide.
    The $850 almost pays for the warranty, and the 2010 modell didn't get any significant changes any way.

Go for the 2009 - if you can find what color and options you like, at least.
  • mrsalmrsal Member Posts: 2
    Doing a bit more research it appears the price didn't increase $350 (at least not for the X-Limited) so the savings would be $500. The 2010 X-Limited now has hands-free Bluetooth included and I am guessing that the price for the warranty is for the $100 deductible option (need to check if this is the case and if so is it per item or per visit). While we keep our cars for a long time might be wiser to get the 2010 exactly the way we want and not have to deal with a year of added depreciation.
    Yeah, now you've cut the savings in half, and if they don't have exactly what you want on an 09....the 2010 makes more sense.

I can relate - we factory ordered our 2009 to get exactly what we wanted, down to the color and options.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Not a lot to get excited about, but accord to Joe @ Cars101 the 2010 Foresters will start coming in next week. No real deals on 09s yet. Maybe in July or August. If no $2K cash back or 0% financing, there is not much incentive to purchase an 09. :(
    I doubt there will be - they've been selling briskly even in this crisis.
  • fotboatfotboat Member Posts: 19
    OK the dealer finally got the black 2009 in Prem, AWP Auto, that we struck a deal with a month a go for 22500. Now I see that 2010 are out. The place in NJ does not have it but place in Colorodo sp[rings has 27 2010 forester in stock

what to do
    How long do you keep your cars?

If you trade after less than, say, 5 years or so, the 2010's residual will be better, and that becomes significant.

If you keep your cars forever and basically run then in to the ground, that becomes less significant, so get the better deal now.

There is very, very little change from 2009 to 2010.
  • goldy74goldy74 Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious if many low-mileage, used 09 Foresters will hit the market later this summer/fall. Is it reasonable to think they'll be out there? (Just trying to compare new vs. slightly used.)
    A year after the intro most of those will likely be program cars, i.e. the press fleet, loaners for SoA executives, etc.

You'll probably find a few but not many. Demand for the 09 Forester was brisk so they probably got as many as they could to dealer to sell.

I think we'll start seeing more after 2 years, due to the 24 month lease returns.
  • acurashopperacurashopper Member Posts: 9
    Out of all the small/mid-sized SUVs I test drove (including the Acura RDX), I liked the Subaru Forester best. Trying to get an idea as to what the actual price would be on the Limited model. MSRP is 27-29k. I understand there is a 2k rebate on some models right now, but not the Forester. Does Surbaru offer extra incentives to cash purchasers? (Acura dealer doesn't - guess they make more $$ on financing everyone).

Should I buy vehicle with nav system/sat radio or have it done as aftermarket?

Thanks.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    For the past month dealers in NW WA have been getting low mileage (12-15,000) 09 Forester Xs in. I suspect the may be rental fleet vehicle as the typical demo / press cars tend to be the higher end models. They seem to be selling for $1 - 2K less than the new price. That is not enough incentive for me to buy used unless it came with an extended certified sort of warranty.

I am going to hold out for a $1-2K rebate or 0% financing rate that may show up in July or Aug after the 2010s have been on the lot for a while. That may not happen & if it does not happen before Aug I am concerned that the selection of 09s will be pretty slim, in which case there is not enough difference of the MSRP. between the 09 & 2010 model to cause me to break into a sweat.
    Invoice or so, maybe a couple hundred lower if you live in a region with a lot of dealers/competition.

I'll be honest - Subaru is not known for their stereos. You may want to spend it on aftermarket parts if you're an audiophile.

Good news is the opening is a very standard double-DIN, so basically you have a huge selection to choose from in the aftermarket.

Even the Navi is only so-so - no backup cam, and the 2009s don't even have Bluetooth (2010 got it).

Right now you can get subsidized financing but no rebates. Subaru priced the Forester right and didn't need them.
  • bohoboho Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds says don't pay "dealer prep" charges. Some dealers charge for "document preparation" The Subaru dealer I'm interested in wants $429 for "dealer handling" What do you think is fair?
    MAMA-MIA that is high.

In MD, for instance, such fees have to be less than $100.

In neighboring VA, I've seen fees in the $300 range, but $429 is a new record.

Just include that in their price when you shop around and compare (which is exactly what I would do).
  • htong611htong611 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I'm in the market to get a new Forester and I've been getting price quotes for the 2009 premium with an auto.

2009 Subaru Forester Premium with All-Weather Package in automatic transmission:

$22,124 Vehicle Price
    $1,106 Sales Tax (5% Mass State)
    $36 New Plates and Registration
    $75 Mass Title Fee
    $259 Dealer Doc fee
    $29 Inspection Sticker
    $23,629 Drive Away

Here's another quote

2009 Subaru Forester Premium with All-Weather Package in automatic transmission with cargo tray and splash guards:

$24997 MSRP
    $22394 vehicle price
    $1120 sales tax (5% mass state)
    $288 doc fee
    $111 registry/plates fee
    $29 inspection sticker
    $23942

Could I reasonably talk either of these down or am I already getting good prices?

Thanks
    Price seems to be in the correct ballpark.
    Since it's the last day of the month I just got an OTD price on a base model 2009 forester X for 20,956...should I pull the trigger?
    What's the tax rate again?

Here in MD it's 6% so I think that price would be great here.
    I'm in Massachusetts so it's 5% for now. We're going up to 6.25% August 1st. I didn't do that one but I'm guessing (hoping) that something along those lines will still be there by mid July, possibly even a little bit more off since it looks like the 2009 stock is dwindling at my local dealers. Really surprised at how much bargaining one can do over the internet!
  • snowplow4snowplow4 Member Posts: 1
    Htong611, what dealers have given you the best prices out the door? I'm thinking of a 2010 X Prem AW.
  • trebor99trebor99 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a base model 2009 Forester 2.5X w/automatic tranny and the cargo cover, mat, etc for $21556.77 out the door.

I thought it was a pretty good deal.
  • gggouldgggould Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone from Chicago area want to buy a forester as well?

I am thinking about getting one around the end of this month.

Please PM me, so maybe we can walk in the dealer and talk down the price...
  • kanyuhirminowkanyuhirminow Member Posts: 2
    What do you guys think? Are there other options or accessories I should look for in the base model that are important? Is this a good price?

I am rounding numbers for anonymity!

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 X (automatic)
    * Auto-Dim Mirror Compass
    * Platinum Cargo Tray
    * Rear Bumper Cover
    * Wheel Locks (Steel Wheels)

total MSRP ~ 22300

Price from dealer email: ~22200.00 out the door +plate....This price includes the 6% tax, without tax ~20950 )

Financing offered (I haven't preapproved, but I know I have excellent credit, but prob pay cash)
    0 to 60 3.9% 72 mos 4.9%

Lease offer:

36 by 12k
    $289.99 plus tax (6%) with 500 due plus plate

I only need 10k miles/year...wouldn't mind purchasing, then my kid could use car after few years.

Thanks in advance and you guys all rock.
  • marc42marc42 Member Posts: 3
    About to buy a 2010 X Forester Limited (non-turbo) with

1) rear bumper cover
    2) auto-dim mirror (without homelink)
    3) puddle lights
    4) splash guards
    5) rear cargo net and two side cargo nets
    6) luggage cover
    7) aero cross bars
    8) wheel locks
    9) all weather mats

The vehcile price with options (including destination charge) is about $25,700

I live in Southern Cal. (state tax is about $2400; title/doc/licensing is about $400), so the total out the door price is 28,500.

Does this seem good, reasonable, fair, poor?

(I'm also being quoted $875 additional for a 7yr/70K Gold Plus warranty with $100 deductible. Is that a good deal?)