Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    People who work at the dealer have to eat, too! Don't steal the car. ;)
  • glinglin Member Posts: 1
    We test drove the 2010 Forester for both XT Limited and X Base. Prefer the turbo but non-turbo is acceptable if turbo is too expensive. The sales in Performance Subaru is an old gentlement with a lot of knowledge and not push at all, love the attitude. We thanked him and said we'd think about it.

We emailed every Subaru dealer within 200 miles asking price for XT Premium without options added. Turns out most of them don't have either 2009 or 2010 in the lots and I think they wrer quoting me the same 2009 XT and the same 2010 XT. (The 2009 is the one we got from Brockman; the 2010 is the one Prestige Subaru has, MSRP $27,986). The range is around $25,800 - $27,500 plus tax, tag, and documentation fee. BUT, Brockman Subaru in Amherst, VA offered us $22,998 plus tax, tag and $199 fee. It's a white 2009 XT. We used its price to ask other dealers again but no one even lowered their offer (ok, only one lowered $500.)

Brockman is very honest upfront telling us that he gave this discount because they had hail weeks ago. We asked for pictures and he took them and emailed us. Frankly, we couldn't tell where the damages are on those photos and he said it's really hard to notice. He's been very responsive for our emails. So we decided to drive up for a look - even if we decided that we don't like it, it's still a good day trip because the route is beautiful.

We really wouldn't know where the damage is if he didn't point out for us. You would see that when you look very closely and carefully but the paint is still intake. We asked for a test drive and he agreed. He didn't ask for driver's license and didn't sit in with us. He told us where we could drive so that we can test it on high way and country roads. We only drove like 2 miles - since we already test drove before, we just wanted to make sure this car has no problem. It's good. So we decided to buy it.

We asked whether he could lower $500 and failed. But doesn't matter, $22,998 is still unbeatable. It comes with Puddle Light Kit and Auto-DimmingMirror/Compass. MSPR $27,272, We had to do the DMV in NC by our own, so we only paid $22,998 plus $199 fee there and he gave us a 30-day VA plate for us to drive back. Just completed the NC DMV job. The car is great.

FYI, Brockman said they had several vehicles got hit, so you may want to email them to see whether you can find a good deal. The other dealers quotes me as: Foger (Charlotte) 2010 FXT $26,625 plus TTD; Parkway (Wilmington) 2010 FXT $26,375 plus TTD; Reynolds (VA) 2010 FXT $26,192; Maxwell (Burlington) 2010 FXT (with rear bumper cover, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, splash guards, auto-dimming mirror) $26,573 - OTD $27,838; Bob Dunn (Greensboro) 2010 FXT $25,852 plus TTD - OTD $27,293; Cross Creek (Fayetteville) 2009 FXT $26772 plus TTD; Randay Marion (Mooresville) 2010 FXT $25,570.
  • elyaselyas Member Posts: 2
    After the cars for clunkers clearing out inventory, we had a lot trouble getting the dealer to come down on price in Bay Area, CA. If we ordered through the dealer from the factory we could get a better deal. How does this sound to everyone?

2.5XT Limited White Pearl
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    iPod Interface
    iPod Console Tray Platinum
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Cargo Tray Platinum
    Body Side Molding
    Aero Cross Bar Kit
    Trailer Hitch

27881 before taxes and DMV fees?

It is essentially 500 under invoice which seemed reasonable to us. We are members of Costco, though I am not sure how the pricing would compare to this offer.

I also keep wondering if I should forgo on the turbo and get the Outback 2010 with the CVT for the much better gas mileage...
  • palefirepalefire Member Posts: 9
    I put some money - 500 dollars - down with the dealer and plan to close in a few days. But I am getting cold feet. Two issues, one is rational the other not rational.

1-- I am paying 26,800 for a car that the dealer found in a nearby state. It was very difficult to find the car in the color my wife and I wanted. He said it has a thousand dollars worth of options--roof rack, some molding for the sides and wheel guard/splash guard, things like that, but I don't know. I somehow worry i am still not driving a hard enough bargain. The problem on my end is I need a car soon. if I get a better deal and have to wait a month, I will probably spend the saving on a rental. Still, reading this board, the above figure sounds high.

2- I went all the way to the x Limited but now I am thinking, TURBO! For two more grand. Why not? The answer to this is, "but I have the x limited scheduled to be delivered in a couple of days, why throw a wrench into that?" And, "Why do I need Turbo?" And yet anyone can understand the answer to that last one. Don't need. Want!

Up in the air about it all. Prob. made worse by the fact that this is the first new car I have ever bought. Not sure what to do.
  • elyaselyas Member Posts: 2
    Cold feet are understandable; it is a big purchase!

1- 26800 does not seem too bad for the car especially if it is the exact one you want. When I was negotiating, the best I could get was 1k over invoice for a car that was already made or 500 under invoice if I were to order it and wait. Is your 500 down refundable?

2- To turbo or not to turbo. This is where I have cold feet the most myself. The extra power will be nice, but also comes at a cost of MPG and the recommendation to use premium gas. So initially I thought it was a no brainer, but I am not sure that it really is. It really depends what you will use the vehicle for on a daily basis.

It is a matter of opinion, but I think the Forester with or without the turbo is a good car and have extensively been trying other cars to make sure it is a good purchase. My last vetting is looking more closely at the Outback 2.5i limited with CVT because of the extra MPG.

That being said, if you need a car now and it will be here in a few days and you like it, then the no brainer might be to take possession of the car! Good luck.
  • bears2bears2 Member Posts: 14
    I had the same dilemma last year on my 2009 Forester. I ultimately went with the turbo after test driving it...so much more power. However, I live in CO and turbo really is needed for mountain driving. No regrets with buying the turbo, but there is more than the price differential at the dealership to consider. You have to reconcile the $.25 per gallon for premium and a lower MPG (however, if you drive conservatively, there's not that much of a difference). My opinion is...if money is not that much of an issue, and you need passing power, go with the turbo. Especially if you can get your deposit back, which you should be able to. On purchase price, I would recommend you go to the Heuberger Motors web site and if you can get close to their price it's probably a good deal. They consistently have low prices (believe me, I researched this endlessly) since they are a volume dealer trying to sell the most cars in the region. Good luck on your decision!!
    Don't worry, I think you can be happy with either one, it's all a matter of perspective.

Get the 2.5x and enjoy the mileage number on the trip computer display. We've seen in the 30s many times.

Get the turbo and enjoy the thrust. Put a piece of tape over the MPG display. ;)
  • joshd1joshd1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking in LA and would like to get the same deal. Where did you pick up your 2010 Forester 2.5x?
    I bought it from the dealer in New Orleans. I'm happy and confused. Picked it up yesterday. Mostly I think it looks and feels great. Weird feeling that somehow I could have gotten a better deal or have been... not cheated exactly but that I overlooked some angle. But that may be because I am a first time buyer. Mostly I am very happy about it. The Limited is plush but humble.
    No worries, a few years from now you won't remember how much you paid, but hopefully you picked a vehicle you will still enjoy plenty.
  • evadooevadoo Member Posts: 40
    Palefire,

Getting an amazing deal (vs. a good deal or decent deal) is dependent on several factors, not all of which we can control. Subaru just had a banner month for sales (especially on Foresters) and timing can really make a difference. If they are doing well, they can afford to turn down offers from customers that would have taken in leaner times. Subarus are flying out the door in my area (New England) and they just aren’t doing the same deals as they were a couple months ago, so you will necessarily pay a bit more, but that doesn’t mean you got a bad deal.

Enjoy your Forester and remember that you probably did more homework on pricing than 90% of buyers out there… so I am sure you did better than most!
    If he found the color and model he wanted, that may have been good luck. Supply is ridiculously short right now.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I bet that is for certain. I noticed at the local lot here in Fairbanks that they are down to about eight cars, and five of them are manuals. They still have not sold the car I tried to buy from them a month ago. Too bad for them! :P

I leave tomorrow morning to pick up my car in Seattle. :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I posted a "cold feet" message on this board a couple of weeks ago, and got a lot of encouragement to take the plunge. I did, and now own a 2010 Forester LTD.

I AM VERY HAPPY! I was worried I would regret not stepping up to Turbo, but I am not finding that too big a deal, it is a perky drive. Sitting in the car is a joy. I love the clearance, the ride... in short, as I said, very happy.

Except for the stereo. I previously drove a 1998 audi A4 with a Bose sound system. Not that it was the greatest thing, but the Subaru's sound system in pathetic. I thought the 'six speaker' upgrade that comes with the Limited would be cool. But it sounds like mud.

So my question is, if I wanted to upgrade the sound system, how does one go about it?

I know there are stores that install these crazy woofers in the trunk and whatnot. but where does one get a quality stereo and what should one get, and what should one think about paying?

This is probably ridiculously obvious. But I simply have never done it before.

thanks.
    BIG congratulations on your new 2010 Forester LTD! Mine should be arriving in the next week or two... exciting! I visited the dealership yesterday and saw NO Foresters... no wonder they aren't doing great deals up here... there are none in stock. Oh well... we'll see what financing offers they have next month and we'll hope for a low APR.

I'll be curious to hear what others say about the stereo. My Acura RSX was pretty decent but the road noise drowned out the stereo... the Forester is definitely quieter so a nice stereo would be great.
    Well, maybe I am just too used to the stereos in old, crappy cars, but I think the sound system is very nice. The bass fades off with road noise at speed, but the mid and high ranges are clear and crisp. I would think the six-speaker would help even more, along with the compact under-seat subwoofer. But, if it sounds like "mud" without the subwoofer, I doubt that would help the situation.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I am being a prima donna and will get over it. Mostly I can't believe how nice the car is. It feels so solid and smooth.
    I have thought about swapping out the head unit for one with built-in GPS, though, specifically I'd like to get one of these Kenwoods with Garmin GPS built-in:

I'm more of a gadget geek than an audiophile. I want a GPS and maybe a backup cam more than improved sound.

Nice thing is the opening is Double-DIN, about the most standard size you will find. Just about anything will fit.
    Out of curiosity, I looked up pricing:

$950 gets you a 6.3" screen with a free backup cam and install gear
    $1000 adds Bluetooth
    $1500 gets a 7" screen

All from Crutchfield.
  • carolina_guycarolina_guy Member Posts: 6
    Kenwood DNX6140 with Garmin Nav system, Bluetooth capable, Sat Radio etc.
    6.1 inch screen all for $755.49 at Amazon.com
    You want something with a knob, you need to turn something down, you reach over and turn the knob down, with touch screen are you really going to turn down the audio quickly? LINK

For rear camera Kenwood CCD-2000 Rear-View Camera $199.

Sat Radio receiver and cables, add $80 Curtchfield.com">link title
    iPod Adapter and Video $30
    Steering Wheel volume control Jack $40
    Cable Connector for all the wiring $10
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $755+$160= $815

That's cheaper than $1500 for something with .6 more screen size.
    That's the one Crutchfield lists for $1000, but their price includes the backup cam and a harness+instructions, so pretty close, really.

Not sure how easy the install would be. I put a Dual radio in a 1993 Miata and their instructions were quite good, so I nailed it on the first try. I did have to crimp some wires together, though. Plus I definitely needed the harness they provided.

So $755.49 + $199 for no instructions and no harness? I'd lean towards Cruthfield, given I have experience with them.

That screen is 6.1", the bigger one is 6.9". I have buttons on the steering wheel to adjust volume (though come to think of it, that probably would require another adaptor and another $100 or so).
  • k2chadk2chad Member Posts: 18
    MSRP $30517
    Invoice $28310
    Accepted offer of $27955
    Took the 3.9% financing. Not a bad deal at all on a brand new XT limited. Car is fast too. Overall very easy buying experience.
  • jtc1jtc1 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up a 2.5X Limited AWP, Racks, ect ect.
    A pretty solid package and got out the door taxes and all for 25900. I feel fairly confident that I got a good deal. what does any one else think?
    Cheers
    an amazing deal. With taxes I paid 30 for the same package.

May I ask, out of morbid curiosity, what they were asking and how much they came down?
    hey thanks for the response. The sticker price (suggested retail) 27,677.00. I did some research found what the invoice price for the dealer would be and dealt with several dealers on line. I sent an email to 4 dealers offering 25K out the door with $2000 trade in for my wifes 99 beetle with 72K miles on it.
    A dealer came back with the color and package i wanted for 25911.61 Out the Door
    I picked it up yesterday.
    25911.61... plus the beetle? Was it that number, and then they took off two more grand? Or was it that number after the gave you 200 grand for the Beetle.

Your method is the one I will use next time I buy a new car, whenever that is.

For now, even though I might have done a bit better, I am consoled by the fact that I like the car very much.
    sorry it did read a bit confusing.
    The dealer gave me the price of 25000 plus fees and tax. minus the 2K for the beetle brought it to 23K, 25911.61 out the door taxes fees included.
    I love the car! excited to have a Subie again.
    cheers.
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    It sounded great at first. Would have been $27,911.60 withouth the Beetle. I would say it is an okay deal. You are back OVER MSRP without your trade-in.
    AT LAST... our 2010 Forester 2.5X Limited (PZEV) arrived and it is gorgeous! We got it in Sage Green and added the auto-start option, splash guards, hood protector, rear bumper cover, and all-weather mats. It sure looks nice all dressed up in the options and the leather seats and the most comfortable I have sat in. We tested one with cloth so this is the first time we have tried out the leather and it is SO nice. We had a fabulous, low-key, no-surprises sales experience from Exeter Subaru in NH. They were professional in every way and certainly earn their A+ rating from the BBB!
    Congrats!

I really like the sage green color as well. Next to the camellia red, it is certainly my favorite.
  • micswimsmicswims Member Posts: 3
    So I am going to purchase a 2010 Forester, I just have to decide which one so please help me and let me know what you think of my prices.
    Choice #1
    Red Limited 2.5 X with Nav
    Luggage Cover
    Rear Sensors
    Ipod Interface
    Rear bumber cover
    Autodimming mirror with homelink
    All Weather floor mats
    The price right now with my trade in is $17,092

Choice #2
    White Limited 2.5 X
    Ipod Interface
    Auto dimming mirror with homelink
    Rear bumper cover
    All weather floor mats
    The price with my trade in is $15,350

Also if anyone can tell me what they think about Nav? I just don't know which way to go...
    I feel that I am going to see if I could get them to go down just a little bit more..
    Rear
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Every factory installed NAV system I have ever seen or have seen reviewed is not worth it's price. Normally $1,500 or so for an outdated, non-updatable gimmick. Save the money and buy a Garmin or TomTom for $350. It will be just as good if not better.
    Well how about the price that they gave me on the 2 choices? I want to know if the prices are good or what....
    Ditto on the Nav - buy a Garmin that speaks street names (755T is my top pick).

To make an informed decision about these deals you would need to go to a site like Edmunds or Kelley BlueBook (kbb.com) and see what your trade is worth (since we have no idea) and then find out what options are on the Forester and do the math. It's always best to negotiate the trade ONLY after you have a firm price on the new car.

It takes a bit of research to determine if you are being given a good price, but well worth the time and effort. Good luck.
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Exactly. We can't tell you how good your deal looks. For all we know you are trading in a $500,000 Bentley and they are giving you $8,000 for it. You'll need to post the MSRP of the 2010 Forester, sale price, what they are giving you for your trade, and what if any you owe on your trade.
    I am trading in a 2006 Honday Civic and KBB tells me $10,125 to $11,325.
    Choice #1
    Red Limited 2.5 X with Nav
    Luggage Cover
    Rear Sensors
    Ipod Interface
    Rear bumber cover
    Autodimming mirror with homelink
    All Weather floor mats
    MSRP is $29,443
    The price they are giving me is $27,592
    and $10,500 for my civic.
    The price right now with my trade in is $17,092

Choice #2
    White Limited 2.5 X
    Ipod Interface
    Auto dimming mirror with homelink
    Rear bumper cover
    All weather floor mats
    MSRP is $27,283
    That means they are giving me roughly $11,993 for my car!
    The price with my trade in is $15,350

That is my offers and I am going to make my final desicion tomorrow morning!
    There is only one way to determine what is a good deal... you have to do the math. I might suggest you read this first http://www.edmunds.com/advice/strategies/articles/105332/article.html. Personally, I would avoid the one with the Nav since it's a waste of money.

Quite honestly you need to sit down with Excel or a pencil and paper and calculate the cost of the car on Edmunds or KBB, then figure in your trade and how that deal would compare to selling your car outright and not getting the tax advantage. Only then can you make a determination if you are getting a reasonable deal, all things considered. It takes a bit of work to save money. :)
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Check the edmunds invoice and price with options to find out which option you can save most.
  • zatmanzatman Member Posts: 1
    Check out the information on this site and download the spreadsheet. This along with Edmunds.com will assist you in receiving the best price.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
    Too bad, I think, that the red one has nav, but then I strongly do not prefer white cars. Were they the same color, I would recommend choice #2, but again, you did not list the price they are offering on the car. Empirically, it looks like the price being offered on the first car is better (in terms of $ off MSRP), but check out the links suggested by the other responders.
  • overhearoverhear Member Posts: 10
    We finally bought a Subaru Forester Premium PZEV. I thought the pricing situation might interest others. The deal was just about as good as I could get altho I'm not sure it's bargain. I called every dealer in Westchester Co (NY) where we live and couldn't get anyone to sell the car below $25,700, which is about $300 under the sticker price of $26,000. Apparently Subaru had banner sales in September and inventories are very low in the northeast. (I thought I'd found the car in NJ for $24,100, but it was missing the all-weather package and turned out to be a manual.)

Finally, after checking the inventory of every dealer in NY state I found one within reasonable distance that had the right color (paprika red), all-weather package, and 2 additional options (cargo tray and mirror compass) in a demo car with 1,400 miles on it. We negotiated a price of $24,256, plus tax and tags.

That was all great, altho when the car came home last Friday we did hit a minor snag: My husband had not noticed that the cargo tray was missing. I emailed the dealer immediately (Friday) and heard back today (Monday) that (contrary to my original conversation with the dealer and to the online inventory page which is still on the web) that the tray is "not included with this model."

Hopefully we'll resolve this last bit peacefully, and without a 2nd drive upstate.

Thanks to everyone for assistance with the decision!
    Sounds like a generic response. Of course the tray is "not included with this model," that is why it was noted as an additional option on the original agreement!

I would push it. It is only a $46 cost (invoice) for the dealer and could make a big difference in your level of satisfaction with the purchase. I love having it in my Forester. Also, the Paprika Red is (contrary to my original opinion) a great color. I has grown on me, for sure.
    Congrats.

Went to Fitz Subaru just yesterday and they had one that color in the showroom. I loved it - but our last 2 cars were green so the wife ruled it out.
    I'd ask the dealer to ship it to your address. Tell them you're holding that survey they send you until this is resolved.
    juice, what is the color of your Forester? Is it blue? I am spacing it for some reason.
  • catch822catch822 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, all. Here's what I've got; both are in Newport Blue. Any thoughts? Is the Limited worth the extra two grand?

Choice #1
    2009 Limited
    Luggage cover
    Rear sensors
    Rear bumper cover
    Auto-dim mirror
    Body-side molding kit
    $25,150

Choice #2
    2010 Premium w/AWP
    Auto-dim mirror
    Cargo tray
    $23,018
    Well, the most obvious answer to that question is whether you value the leather seats, fog lights, and any other standard features (stereo upgrade?) of the limited. I notice right away that the Limited is an '09 model; what were the changes between model years, again?

I definitely give a strong " thumbs up" to the body side molding and bumper cover. Wheel arch moldings and "mud flaps" are nice protection features as well.

Versus MSRP, both cars look like respectable prices. I imagine the '09 was manufactured at least six months ago, so somebody is losing money with that car sitting on a lot....
    2009 >>> 2010 better driver seat (lumbar support). Leather is wonderful in the Forester. If you already plan to get the all-weather pkg and auto, the LTD is less than 1k up from the premium.
  • catch822catch822 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your response, xwesx. The extra features of the Limited would be nice, but they're not on my must-have list. My only must-have is the moonroof. I would love a better stereo, but I wonder if I could improve the standard one by installing better speakers. As far as I can tell, there were slim to no changes from the 2009 to the 2010 Limited model.

I think I'm leaning toward the Premium.

I would probably add the body-side molding to the Premium, as well -- and good idea about the wheel arch moldings and mud flaps. I'll get a quote on those...

Thanks again for your response!
    Newport Blue Pearl with the wonderful Platinum Leather inside.

For the person asking about the Limited I say YES is it worth it, the perforated leather feels like a million bucks. It takes it up a whole class, from competent to upscale.

Ours is a 2009 Limited PZEV.

Funny thing is I saw an LL Bean the other day - those were rare, only the very early portion of the 2009 model year had those. There was no difference besides the badges, though.