Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Actually there is something that can be done about square cup holders. I bought the 2 cheap black plastic cup holders at AutoZone, those that hang on windows. (a $ 1.36 item). Cut off the window hanger sections and insterted them into 2 square spaces. I also secured the bottom and a flat side with a double-stick tape. They both fit perfectly inside the squares with round plastic sections. Problem solved!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Neat idea.

Let's see if Subaru fixes that for 2011.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    RE: water bottles.

I agree that they don't fit well. Best thing I've done is to remove the partition in the rear cup holder that separates it from the "small purse holder" area...or so they called in the catalog. This gave just a bit more room to get my kleen kanteen to be able to stay in there upright...but, it is tight.
    My dome light above rear seats stopped working at 400-some miles. I popped out the plastic cover, tested the bulb (bulb was OK) and tested the "juice" with circuit tester and found that the switch was defective. I came to Subaru dealer with my diagnosis and they confirmed that the switch was faulty and ordered one under warranty.
    Also, installed class III hitch from U-Haul (a 30 minutes job). Ordered plug-in electric module from e-Trailer (neatly plugs into an existing Subaru harness in the spare tire area.). All done and works great!
    As far as cup holders, I moved the rear one to the middle cross section (rear slides on to the middle cross section and opens the "small purse holder" for more room, as described by the previous poster). With those window cup holders (as described earlier) I have now 2 cup holders that hold securely regular diameter water bottles or small diameter Thermos or similar bottles. The large ones indeed do not fit. Oh well, there are always the "door" cup holders for additional water bottles.
  • im4sockeyeim4sockeye Member Posts: 14
    I am looking at a 2010 Forester demo model with 5k miles. How does one figure an appropriate discount for a demo? BTW I searched the forum for "demo" references with no luck.
  • In the market to assist my daughter purchasing a new 2010 Forester. Its now mid July and the 11's are shipping so hoping to get about 2k below invoice? Possible or dreaming?. It will be the difference between a base 2.5x or a premium. (Like that moonroof.) Thanks
    Unfortunately, these cars are in high demand. I would go $ 1000 below dealer's invoice, if they will show it to you.
    Depends on exact model that you are looking for and the address/market, where you live.

Since these cars are in high demand, most that you could probably get is the dealer's invoice - if they show it to you or if you do your homework on Edmunds website.

Some models, like Forester XTs are more desirable in certain markets than others.

Good luck with 2 K below invoice (hopefully you are referring to "dealer's invoice" and not "sticker" invoice.

Let us know though...
  • Yes, talking about dealer invoice. Using a leading consumer magazine pricing service (didn't se their name but I think you can easily guess). It just seems that with the 11's on the lot the 2010s are already a year old you should be able to do it. Actually, if the service numbers are possbily correct, 1k below would just about do it.
    How late into the model year do you think it will be before it would be possible?
    edited July 2010
    Not knowing where you live, it depends, how many Subaru dealers you have in your town or within, say 50 miles radius.

In places, where there is more than one dealrship, you could drive the price down considerably more than if you live in town, where there is only one.

You can watch dealer's stock on the internet and wait until December 2010. In saturated markets many dealers have "last" years model until then.

However, not all cars on their lots are 1 year old. You can find out the exact month of manufacture by decoding the VIN nmuber. Most dealers finance their cars on their lots thorugh banks until they are sold. Obviously, the oldest ones are the ones that you could get a better deal.

By doing your homework, find out the month, when the car was manufacured or imported into the country and, again, the oldest ones are the ones that you can could get a better deal.

Also, look at the lower right hand side of the "sticker" to see if the vehicle was shipped and delivered to the dealer that is selling the car. Many cars are traded among dealers and if you see there name other than your dealer's, you could get a better deal on that car.

As a former car dealer in So. California I can tell you that there are just too many variables to cover this subject.

One thing though, do not "fall in love" with the car that you are buying. Focus on your price target instead, regardles of color or options installed.
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    Mine was a bit below dealer invoice so it's certainly possible, but the dealer had quite a few in stock as did another sealer 15 mi away, Compare prices at http://www.fitzmall.com/, a no haggle dealer

Pick the exact car and add ons she wants, total the invoice price according to Edmunds or consumer reports and offer $1000 below that. B e prepared to negotiate or walk. Get your own financing beforehand and compare to their. If they say their 2.9 is only 2w years tell them you have better and they will probably make the 2.9 3 orm 4mnyears
    I would want 15% below invoice at this point for a car that has significant mileage especially if it has been titled. Otherwise you should get a new at or below invoice

Personally I'd rather have one that's not been driven for $1000 more.
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2010
    Hey, Any thoughts.... I did a internet shop for a automatic, with alloy rims and fog lights. The 2.5x special edition has this with a roof rack. and here are my quotes:
    In Northern NJ a dealer 21,395 including destination charge.
    In Westchester,...the best I got was: 22,155
    Thoughts??
    I plan to haggle more when I go in.
    Any suggestions/comments?
    Thanx,
    CS
    That SE package is a bargain, that's my only thought. ;)
    The place in Northern Jersey had a $300 " documentation fee",But I got another dealer to match the price. Still shopping, hoping for it to come down more.
    Thoughts??
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    Hi All,
    trying to help a friend get his best quote on a Forester (w/2.5 X Premium w/All weather pkg (02)).
    I have done the email several dealers quote thing with the last two cars I bought but this is the first time with a Subaru and it seem they have all have a website not set up to receive direct emails.They do have a area (same on all the sites-in fact it looks like the standard "Subaru approved" site they all have) where you can send a comment but it requires a phone.He has been hounded by car salesmen in the past and is understandably reluctant to give a number.

We did send a few with "best quote" requests and a fake phone (with a explanation why he was seeking email quotes first) and have had NO responses from 4 dealers.

Anyone else run into this? Any thoughts on next move?
    thanks in advance for the feedback/suggestions
    Most Subaru dealers (if not all) have a dedicated "internet sales" person or manager.

You can find their direct email addresses by going to the "white" or "yellow" pages or, calling them up and ask them for internet sales manager's email address.

Otherwise, if you access any dealer through Google, most (if not all) emails are routed through Subaru North America HQ.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    In what area are you looking?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I guess we could try calling them.I have done the google search and it leads to those standard we pages for each dealer.

We are trying in NH these are pretty small dealerships,maybe they don't all have a dedicated internet guy. Its to so much easier to start with email,he called one place and the guy called him 2 ,then 3 times a week,then every day.

We may have to try Mass.I ended up buying my wife's Lexus down there (with the email search quote) as the only dealer up here would not move on price.
  • baires60baires60 Member Posts: 30
    I emailed all my subaru dealers - with this and a quote later on for the warranty prices, since they vary by state and dealership..I got responses to 80% of my inquiries some called instead some had the can mail - they will respond to you later and few didn't even contact me. Most called after getting the email though, within a few days. I'm in the NY area but I emailed NJ and CT and PA too.
    I went to the subaru website and just picked and chose some dealerships in the area to send the email to, in fact Subaru sent back an email a week maybe 2 later asking if all of the dealerships (separately on 1 form) had responded and did they answer my questions to my satidfation - I answered which did and which didn't try to contact me and the next day or 2 I got a response from them too. It may be that phony phone number that you put down, but I understand the hesitation.

For the warranty I went across the country and most answered back thinking I wanted a car, but after I responded no the warranty they passed it onto the finance people - who would call..but I got very few that would call me multiple times. Thank goodness, I despise the car shopping process but find it better with Subaru than some of the others I went into.
    Hello, Just bought a Forester 2.5x special edition, automatic with fog lights.
    $ 21,400.... , with tax plates and registration, $ 23,300 out the door.
    Got The color I wanted,
    Congrats. The SE package is a must-have, in fact if I were a dealer I don't think I'd order any Foresters without it! :shades:
    I agree. I really would have liked that option available last September! When I completed the customer survey for Subaru, I strongly stated that they needed to make the factory rails available on the X. I am seeing the X w/ SE package all over the place here in Fairbanks now; it is obviously a highly favored option.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Member Posts: 82
    Do you have to purchase the extended warranty within a certain timeframe of the new car purchase?

What is the best price anyone has received for an extended Subaru warranty and how many years and miles did it cover?

Any help is appreciated as I have never purchased a Subaru.
    Do you have to purchase the extended warranty within a certain timeframe of the new car purchase?

What is the best price anyone has received for an extended Subaru warranty and how many years and miles did it cover?

Any help is appreciated as I have never purchased a Subaru.
    You can buy the extended warranty anytime while your car is still under regular factory warranty; i.e. during first 36,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.

The best price that is out there (as far as I know) is from (Don) at Mastria Subaru - as indicated earlier on these pages.

There is a huge mark-up on these extended warranties and you do not have to buy it from the dealer that you have purchased your car.
    Generally, it's within the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty period.
    What price have people got the extended warranty from Mastria Subaru for?

How long is this warranty for?
    Is this a good deal before taxes and tags. About $500 below invoice.

Dealer price = $21,104 (includes destination)

2010 Forester 2.5X Auto
    Special Edition Package - Option 21
    Equipment Group 1A - Option F9E

MSRP = $23,041
    Invoice = $21,638
    It depend what plan and coverage you want and what model of Subaru you have. Turbos are slightly more than non-turbos.

You can also get this information from Subaru's official website - everything except the pricing because that is left up to dealers' mark-up.

Give Don a call or send him an email and he will give you a quote (got mine over the internet).
    He also posted all the pricing elsewhere on these pages. Remember that they are not allowed to advertise pricing (against Subaru North America's policy).

Typically, it's appx $ 1000 to 1500 while most dealers charge you upward from $ 2000 and tag it in, while you are negotiaing your financing.
    Can you send me Don's email.

It would be for the 2.5x model (non turbo) and A/T
    Thanks baires !
    that emailing through the Subaru site did the trick,he got 3 quotes right away and two canned responses that will emailing quotes later.Best part was they,the Subaru site did not require a phone number.
    He may try and get some more dealers in Mass this time to see if he can get a better price.So far the best he found was 24250 for the Forester 2.5 Premium Auto with all weather pkg.
    edited August 2010
    For extended Warranties:
    try calling Paul at Bill Kolb Jr in NJ. I got the best price from him - though still waiting for the paperwork. He is on vacation until August 17 I think - call him and let him get you a quote, his was the best quote for 7/70K, 0 deductible no money back gurantee though, by far under $1K, but as I mentioned still waiting for paperwork to arrive in the mail. I don't know if all the other quotes I was given were including the money back guarantee - I guess I should call and find out since I can cancel with in 90 days. Also try Matt at garcia motors in New mexico he had good prices in March.
    Does anyone know the difference between money back guarantee and the normal pro rated policy to cancel the policy? Don at Masurati (?) mentioned it doesn't exist - but I think it is dependent on the dealer because Paul mentioned it was $300 more to have the money back guarantee added to it.
    Is Matt in the Alburquerque or El Paso Subaru dealer?

Am I better off getting the 7/70K or 7/100K if I drive 12K a year?
    If the goal is to maximize your coverage (which it usually is), you should max your time or your mileage, whichever is more. So, if you run 12,000 a year, you would likely have 84,000 miles at the end of seven years. As such, a 7/70 would run out in about 6 years. The 7/100 would last the full seven years but run out before your mileage hit the limit. If there is a 6/70, that would be just about perfect for your situation.

You really just need to decide which has the best cost-benefit because while the 7/100 will last you a full seven years, it will also cost more up front.
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    Just bought a new Forester (premium) from Santa Monica Subaru. Paid more than I should have, thanks to the usual dealer tricks with the numbers. I should have insisted on finalizing the price before talking about the trade. If you think the "dealer invoice" price listed on some websites is the price they paid, think again. According to my State Farm Agent, the dealer typically pays about $5000 less than the sticker price on the car. I paid 22500, so I should have started negotiating at around 19500 for the price. Anyway, I liked the car, especially the giant moonroof, something that is a plus in LA. I was torn between the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Subaru, mainly due to the 10yr/100000mi warranty offered on the outlander. If Subaru is so reliable, why haven't they also upped their warranty to match Misubishi, Hyundai, etc? Although I didn't do the greatest job on the price negotiations, I did have a small victory- The dealer financed me at 3.9%, and I was able to drop that to 3.4% with included "gap" coverage, by financing thru State Farm Bank. Should have seen the dealer's finance guy's face when I walked in there with a check and told them I wouldn't be needing their financing. This saved me $1600 over the life of the loan and lowered my payments by $20 / mo, taking some of the sting out of the bad deal I got. Ha!
    I am not sure where you State Farm Agent got this info from, but the dealer cost = Invoice - Holdback - Subaru to Dealer Incentives, which is about $500 below invoice at the moment (not $5,000) since there is no Subaru to Dealer incentives (only holdback). Some dealers are offering up to $1,000 below invoice but this is only going to be in low demand areas.

You should have insisted on the 2.9% financing special currently going on or done your homework and got a 2.99% loan through AAA or 3.0% loan through Capital One. Would have save you about $480 over the life of the loan.
    Actually there is a 1.9% financing offer for 12-63 months with high enough FICO through Subaru right now.
    Matt is in Alburquerque.

Look at the extended warranty plans and see which plan works for you. As XWESX mentioned you need to see what will get you to your mileage vs time cheaper - I also got the gold not the classic - also remember the first 36K/3 years are covered by subaru so it's above that that you are really paying coverage on. So 6/70K would work for you. Call many, many dealers and ask for gold and see if you pay $50 ded, vs, $100 vs $0. Maybe you may find they cut a break on a certain deductible vs anyother that you can live with, also the money back guarantee - it may cost more but worth it if you don't use it. I never had a Subaru so can't say from experience if any warranty work is necessary - also depends on driving habits conditions, etc. But something to consider. With my VW I had her in the shop alot not because of my driving just she always required something. Others have no problems with them - I think mine leaked oil too much (which I read they have this issue) once my new mechanic changed the oild to synthetic and 0-5 (?) it had no more issues didn't need to change it for 7K miles. By then I had already bought the Subie though else I may have held out for a year more. to see if they changed the side view mirrors on the Legacy (what a strange thing to do - glad they changed it back for 2011).
    Matt is in Alburquerque.

Look at the extended warranty plans and see which plan works for you. As XWESX mentioned you need to see what will get you to your mileage vs time cheaper - I also got the gold not the classic - also remember the first 36K/3 years are covered by subaru so it's above that that you are really paying coverage on. So 6/70K would work for you. Call many, many dealers and ask for gold and see if you pay $50 ded, vs, $100 vs $0. Maybe you may find they cut a break on a certain deductible vs anyother that you can live with, also the money back guarantee - it may cost more but worth it if you don't use it. I never had a Subaru so can't say from experience if any warranty work is necessary - also depends on driving habits conditions, etc. But something to consider. With my VW I had her in the shop alot not because of my driving just she always required something. Others have no problems with them - I think mine leaked oil too much (which I read they have this issue) once my new mechanic changed the oil to synthetic and 0-5 (?) it had no more issues didn't need to change it for 7K miles. By then I had already bought the Subie though else I may have held out for a year more. to see if they changed the side view mirrors on the Legacy (what a strange thing to do - glad they changed it back for 2011).
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    I had to finance for 72mos, to keep the payments below a certain threshold, so that bumped me out of the 1.9% deal. I took the State Farm deal, because they included the Gap coverage. This gets rid of the worry that, if the car were ever totaled in a wreck, that the insurance pay-off wouldn't cover the amount I still owed on the loan. The dealer wanted another $400 or so for the Gap policy rider.
    This seemed like a fair deal. I qualified for 2.9% financing.

2010 Forester 2.5x
    Sage Green Metallic
    Special Edition Package
    Popular Equipment 1A
    Auto Dim Mirror w/compass
    All weather floor mats
    MSRP = $23,593
    Invoice = $22,104
    Edmunds TMV = $22,293

My negotiated price w/destination was $21,445 ($659 below invoice)

Out the door with taxes & 5 year tags (DE) = $22,632

Two additional items included in the above price were full window tinting and pin stripe. I don't car much for the pinstripe but the window tinting sealed the deal as that would have costed me about $200 to do on my own.
    Then probably a decent deal you got.
    Sounds like you practically stole the thing! ;)

Enjoy it!
    edited August 2010
    I just want to make sure I wasn't ripped off. Sounds like I did ok. :D

It's funny I wasn't even considering a Subaru until 2 weeks ago. Had been only looking at CR-V, RAV-4 and Santa Fe. But when I found out that the Forester was the top pick on Consumer Reports I thought I would give it a look. And then to find out that it was the only in the class that could be realistically driven on the beach because of the high clearance that is what sold me on the vehicle. Can't wait to see my 3 year old's expression when daddy actually drives to the ocean.

Any tips on driving on the beach would be appreciated.

I think I will be in the Subaru family for a long time.
    When I bought a Limited in July the sales guy was pretty good on pricing. I made a below invoice offer and he went to about invoice. When I went to sign the contract he gave me a credit app to fill out. I had 2.99% from CapitalOne so said I didn't need one. He said they could offer 3.9%. I asked about the 2.9% advertised and he said that was only up to two years. I passed. When the manager came over he asked if they told me about the $2.9% and I told him the sales guy said that was only up to 2 years. He said, no, you misunderstood we can do that up to 5 years. Sheesh, these guys hustle you for whatever they can and then do better if you balk. Just on principle I stuck with the CapOne 2.99% over their $2.90
    edited August 2010
    well he is getting better offers.
    2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium Auto
    W/ all weather pkg
    he has a "out the door"(no sales tax here in NH) of $22945.00

Of course the higher quote ones are emailing him with the "I can beat any price by $500" But their first quote was over $1000 higher.I told him they are just playing a game and go with the two lowest and see which dealer he likes the best.
    I have not driven my new Forester on the beach yet, though I was sorely tempted when I was down there a few weeks ago. I kept having to remind myself that this is the "wife's car" and that she would not want me to do it.... :blush:

I drove my '96 Outback on beaches several times (less ground clearance than the new Forester) and it did very well. In general, I would say to keep it moving when in dry, loose sand and, if you lose momentum and the wheels start to spin, stop immediately! If you keep gunning it, it is just going to be that much harder to get out.

Hahaha; speaking of that, there was a military kid who took his tricked out (lifted, big tires, big stereo, big ego) Ford diesel onto the beach.... while towing a 24' dual axle travel trailer! The truck would have easily been up to the task were it not for that lead weight, but as it is he just about buried it. Another pickup hooked on to him and together they were *barely* able to nudge it back to firm ground, but in the process he cut a corner on a dune and just about dropped that trailer onto a couple other vehicles parked nearby. The trailer was literally teetering on two wheels but whipped back down when he straightened out the truck. I swear, idiots always provide the best entertainment! :shades:
  • dieuwerdieuwer Member Posts: 8
    I don't see the 1.9% deal on subaru.com