Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Member Posts: 82
    The Fenkell one is transferable. $0 in the first 12 months. $49.95 from 13-24 months. After 24 months, not transferable. I actually transferred mine from the trade in I used on the Forester. The price for the transfer is the price of one oil change at the VW dealer, so it was a no brainer for me when I heard Fenkell has 0W-40 as part of the LOC program.
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Have finally decided on a Forester and have observed / collected a few prices. There is a LOT of 2010 inventory locally (eastern PA) so I'm surprised the pricing is not more aggressive. Looking at a 2.5X Special Edition PZEV with Protection Package 1A:

MSRP: $23341
    Invoice: $21946

Fitzmall: $21016
    Becker: $21400
    Overstock: $21210

All of these prices would be + tax (6%) and tags/fees ($215 total.) Anyone else getting better quotes in the PA/NJ/MD area? Searching around the web last night I saw that Wentworth Subaru in Oregon has this model with same options for $20409, so it seems there are some other unadvertised incentives. Since they are 3000 miles away, though, I don't plan to use them as a comparable in negotiations.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    If you can, I would wait a couple of more months in your area until 2011 models start flooding the market - then 2010 models would be more favourably priced.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited August 2010
    I can vouch for Fitz - we've purchased several cars there and it was hassle-free. If they are the lowest price, I'd jump on it. You're $900+ under invoice.

Edit: idea. Let me refer you there, I'll get $50 for it, and buy you lunch when you pick it up. LOL

So it's the best price, plus you get a free lunch while they PDI it. :shades:
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I didn't realize we get a $50 referral for referring people to fitzmall. Do you know how many people I have sent there? (not just their White Flint subaru, but their Gaithersburg Toyota and their Annapolis VW).

Not only is the advertised price the lowest around, their doc fee is only $99, and their trade-in offers are fair as well (and negotiable). No hard sell in the F&I room either.

When I bought my outback from fitzmall, I met a guy who flew in from out of state to pick up his new car there.
    Thanks for the feedback on Fitz (and the free lunch offer!) - I've heard they're great to work with. They're 3.5 hours away, so I would probably never buy from them over a $200-$400 difference ($1000 would be a different story,) but it is good data point. Thought I might get a call back from Becker (who is 2 miles from my home) given it was the end of the month and they have 50+ Foresters on the lot, but nothing. I'm not in a big hurry, so I have time to wait and see. I have been reading good things about the new engine (lower maintenence, slightly better economy) that will be in the 2011 Forester, so if a 2010 doesn't work out I'll just wait for the new model.
    edited September 2010
    I would wait few more months and get a 2010 model at better price than right now...

The new 2011 engine isn't that much of an improvement, in my opinion.

It will only get you one extra 1 MPG due to the new design that has chain driven double overhead cam instead of belt driven single overhead cam. That means you reach max output at a lower RPM.

Chain driven cams may last longer but in general, they are more noisier than belt driven cams. And, if someting goes wrong, you will have to deal with 2 chains instead of one belt.

And I bet you will pay (again) a premium price for 2011 model as most dealers will call it "major" improvement as a sales pitch.
    Cool, good luck shopping and keep us posted, OK?
  • dave128dave128 Member Posts: 14
    1) Any factory incentives this month to dealers for Added Security warranties? I'm in the Western PA area.

2) Does SOA use regular beacon credit scores or the auto enhanced one to determine Tier 1 financing?

Thanks.
    Picked up my 2010 Newport Blue Forester 2.5X Special Edition AT with Pop Equipment Group 1A and Dimming Mirror/Compass for $940 BELOW INVOICE.
    Title&Tag was $240 (new plates).
    This dealer matched the FitzMall/Fitzgerald Internet price with no problems. They had a rather healthy inventory of Foresters on the lot.
    Thanks dave128! Mind sharing the dealer name? Just want to see how large of a dealer this is. I'm trying to work a deal in eastern PA with one of the larger Subaru dealers in the US and it's been a tough sell to get them to match the FitzMall Internet price.
    Keep in mind there are 6 Subaru dealers in the Pittsburgh area and the competition is rather lively. My dealer is part of a multi-brand dealership (fairly big). You may just be in a tighter market area.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    PA is a small state; there are no two points that are more than a day trip apart, so why not find the best price and enjoy the drive? ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    How far are you from Fitzmall? Southeastern PA is less than 2 hours away from the White Flint store. I drove nearly 2 hours to buy there and it was worth it for the trouble-free experience. Even Philly is only 2.5 hours away from Fitzmall. If they have what you want, that's no big deal. My subaru's daily commute is as much.
    As mentioned earlier, Fitz is ~3.5 hours away, so I would probably never buy from them over a $200-$400 difference. Just the day off I'd have to burn would more than eat up that savings. (If it were $1k, I would reconsider.) It is a good data point, though. If Fitz can do it for that price, so can Becker. Funny thing is that the Becker prices on new Outbacks are lower than the Fitz Internet prices, but not on Foresters (yet...) I'm in no hurry, either, so I can afford to wait it out. There's lots of inventory out there and I'm curious on what the 2011 model will bring...
    I'd say wait untill late November...then you can get a real good price on 2010 models altough option and color selections may not be there...

2011 Foresters are already either in transit from Japan or in U.S. East/West Coast ports awaiting various dealer's allocations.
    edited September 2010
    I would like to remove the rear window wind deflector (AKA spoiler) that came with my 2010 Forester XT... Removing the top hidden screws does not seem to do the trick.

Deflector is "stuck" to the rear gate even when I try to pull it off by force (double stick tape keeps holding it on) - unless there are other screws that hold it that I don't know about....

I read elsewhere that if I remove it there will be holes left in the roof that cannot be just covered with spoiler's existing plastic caps.

Anybody out there who has removed it?
    I've heard you will have visible holes, but if you still want to do it and have a way to seal the holes, you can use tooth floss to cut through the two-side tape to help remove it.
    After some research, it appears that there are 4 more pins (and holes) in the rear gate frame so the tooth floss is out!
    Oh well, will have to live with it for now.....
    Hopefully, future models will have an easier add on / removal of these spoilers...
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Suggest that you might ask your dealer to remove it. If it is new, they may still do it for free (if they can) and if they are a good dealer.
    Dealer will not remove it and cannot remove it - dealer would have to plug holes that will be left after removal. Also, there are no parts nor plugs available for holes left after removal as long as it was a factory installed option (like on XT models).

If it would have been a dealer's installed option, the spoiler could be easily removed and put back in and drilled holes plugged.

By the way, the dealer referred me to a body shop, as most other dealers (good or bad) would do. The easiest right now would be to replace the rear metal gate skin if I would want to remove the spoiler.

In the meantime, I've talked with Subaru America tech support and basically the above is correct.

In my opinion it's an overkill anyway (more a cosmetic feature than anything else) because it does not really keep any dirt away from the rear window at speed that this car is designed to operate.

Oh well, will have to live with it...
    Seems that things are beginning to shift in a favorable direction. Local dealer now selling the 2.5X Special Edition PZEV with Protection package 1A (MSRP $23341, Invoice $21946) for $20599 plus tax/tags. That's a discount of $1347 under invoice which is way better than their price last month. PA taxes are 6% and the total tags (registration, doc fee, etc) are about $215. With this type of discount, I'm considering jumping to the Premium. Don't really want the sunroof, but a few of the other features would be nice.
  • gggouldgggould Member Posts: 4
    Just got a quote of 2010 forester 2.5X premium + all weather package for 22300 before TTL. Is it good??

Thanks
  • redsoxfansocalredsoxfansocal Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just bought a 2010 Subaru Limited PZEV with the Nav package, bumper guard, home link, etc in Southern California. The MSRP was around $29,950. The dealer showed us the invoice which was $27,542. After a lot of negotiating and even walking away at one point we got them down to $26,200, no extra fees. We put $20,000 down and financed the rest using the 1.9% finance deal they offered, which I believe has been extended to the first week of October for those with good credit. As people have mentioned, if you can wait about 4-6 weeks, the 2011 Forrester's will be on the lot and you will have more leverage on pricing for the 2010's. If you're a Costco member, some Subaru dealers have an agreement with Costco where the price is $500 off invoice for members.

I'm sure there are some people who might get more off, but my wife and I were happy to pay about $1,400 below invoice. Especially since many of our friends are proud that they got the same amount off the MSRP.

I guess it also matters where the dealership is, how much inventory they have on hand, and how motivated they are to move cars.

Hope this info helps.
    Long Beach or Santa Monica?
    That's a very good price...
    If Long beach, be aware of their service dept....
    That's an excellent price, but like the other poster said, they will get you in the service dept. That is their real profit center. I suggest going to a non-Subaru maintenance person that you trust for all your routine maintenance and then go to Subaru for any warranty work. The place I got my Subaru from is charging about $900 for services up to 30K (the 7,500 program), though I priced this about $500 at a favorite independent mechanic of mine. I also plan to put in Iridium spark plugs, as the OEM spark plugs are to be replaced every 30K, and the dealer charges a lot each time this is done.
  • joepat711joepat711 Member Posts: 5
    Ggould,

I could be wrong but that is the best price I've seen for that model + package on this forum. It's also the model my wife and I want too, do you mind sharing where you got this quote from?? I'm in nyc metro area. I'm also praying this is for an Automatic and not a manual !!!

Joe
    Congrats. We have an 09 minus the Navi, otherwise like yours.
    Really difficult to say where this lies without more information. Assuming it's an automatic Premium with AWP and nothing else (no PZEV, no accessories) the MSRP is $24890 and the Invoice is $23439. The price of $22300 (+TTL) is $1139 under invoice, which certainly seems reasonable. I got a quote (eastern PA) for $1347 under invoice on a Special Edition and in one of the postings above a Limited in SoCal has just been negotiated to $1342 under invoice.

Now that the official info has been released about the 2011s (new engine design, same 4-spd automatic, slightly better EPA rating) and they are on-order from the dealers, it looks like discounts of at least $1000 under invoice are very attainable on the 2010s.
    "New" engine design is the same old engine, same displacement but a dual overhead chain driven cam (instead of one belt as on 2009 models) therefore you reach peak performance at lower RPM and therefore a slightly better mileage.

There are pros and cons at either of these designs. When it comes to replace those, it will cost more to replace both than just one.
    I'm not sure how the chain (vs. belt) by itself would make it peak at lower rpm. That's probably in the tuning and more camshaft/valve-control related.

If anything, the chain means more reciprocating mass, so it would rev a smidge slower.
    I am not sure either - but that is how Subaru tech. explains (justifies) the better MPG on that new engine...i.e. because of the 2 chains vs. one belt MPG improved on the new engine.
    By the way they claim the MPG improves only by 1 ....on the new engine...
    oh well...
    The next step has gotta be Direct Injection.

The FT-86 is rumored to get 200hp from a 2.0l boxer, let's see if that's similar to this new DOHC engine, or what.

Hyundai did the same thing - 200hp from their base Sonata engine.

Subaru would be wise to bump their base 2.5l to 200hp.

BTW, is it still being called the EJ25?
    edited September 2010
    Actually, I should clarify my earlier post...

The power (output) remains the same but the increased MPG is achieved because the max power (170 HP) arrives at lower RPM - 4100 (old one had that at 4400) ... that is what I was trying to say... also they get extra 4 pound-feet of torque (from 170 to 174 new)...
    The new engine has increased bore (from 2457 to 2498) with a longer stroke - that means that they can still call it 2,5 liter... now that makes sense, right?

The new engine will only be available in 2011 regular models - 2011 XT turbo models will have the same power plant as 2010.

Not sure what the engine designator will be...
    http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_60853.pdf

Dual AVCS.

146hp (yawn). Torque is up a little.

The 2.0l could go in the Impreza 2.0i, drop the 2.5i. Save the new 2.5l for the Outback Sport.
  • sdgdbssdgdbs Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I recently bought forester 2.5X special edition with popular equipment package 1A and all weather mat at the price of $20,600.
    Everything is good so far except for some vibration when I started the engine.
    There are not so many tire options for 16 inch wheels, and the factory bridgestone tires do not have good reputation according to tirerack.com.
    I bought it when APR was 2.9% last week. I could have saved more if I bought this week with 1.9% APR. SIGH.....
    I had no difficulty in getting one at that price, so I think you can buy one at lower price without much hassle.
    I think it would have been better buying Premium trim with all weather package even though I don't use moonroof at all.
  • koutamkoutam Member Posts: 4
    i got a quote for a limited awd forester...includes options 4b and 7a
    it is 24500 + TTL + 389 doc fee + 400 shipping
    i asked them for 24000 shipped and am waiting for their response...

do you think this is a fair price?
    FWIW that price is a lot lower than it was for a similar model a year ago.
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    In June I paid $24,600 with:

dest

All weather floor mat
    Luggage Cover
    Rear bumper cover
    Splash Guard
    Vert Cargo Net

Auto Dim, Compass, Homelink
    Puddle Lights
    Interior illum kit (Blue)
    Cargo Tray
    Moon Roof deflector
    I-Pod Tray
  • koutamkoutam Member Posts: 4
    so i bought the 2010 Subaru limited...

it came with the 7b, 4b options and the finaly price was 24295...+ 389 (exorbitant doc fee)...+ 400 shipping
    i got this quote from colarado springs and i live in des moines...so had to get this shipped...

finally ..i got this for 25085 + TTL
    there was not even a single delaer in and around des moines toeven come close to this price...the closest they came was 25900...

i got the color and this is my first subaru....
    The roughness is due to the PZEV system warming up the catalytic converter and calibrating. It's normal.
  • frang4040frang4040 Member Posts: 2
    Any feedback on this being a good price for a 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium w/ All-Weather?

24569.85 (this is walk away price)

Thanks.
    I assume this is with an automatic transmission? Are there any other accessories? PZEV? Location?

This late in the model year, I think you can do better - maybe even a lot better depending on where you want to buy.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • frang4040frang4040 Member Posts: 2
    Automatic. No PZEZ. I am in NC. What other options should I look at? Like, power seats, heated seats, etc. I am a novice at getting a great price and any help is appreciated.
    I would get: Mud flaps front + rear; cargo area vinyl or rubber cover; rubber front and rear floor mats and touch-up paint ...
    Power seats and heated seats are an overkill, in my opinion, unless they come factory installed.
    Let's see... the Premium comes with a driver power seat, and the AWP includes heated seats (along with heated mirrors and windshield heating pads under the wipers), so those are non-issues.

I personally like the "Rugged Package" which is somewhere around $600 (invoice) and includes a stack of handy features: wheel arch molding, side molding (protects from door dings), crossbars, mud deflectors, rear bumper protector (adds durability to the cargo area). However, I use my car for more than commuting and need that extra durability frequently.

Also, the rubber floor mats are nice if mud/snow is a frequent friend of your shoes - again, I go for the added protection and buy aftermarket floor liners from WeatherTech. If you use your cargo area much, a cargo tray (about $50 invoice) is a great addition. Aside from that, I could leave all the other options.

I think there is an iPod connection that many folks like to have.

Take a look at the edmunds.com page and build out your car with all the options you want. It will give you the MSRP and invoice. This late in the model year, you should pay invoice (max) on a 2010, as the 2011 models are just around the corner and this model is nearly a year-and-a-half old! Just for reference, I purchased a 2010 premium (manual, so subtract $1000) with PZEV, AWP, Rugged Package, and Cargo Tray for $23,310 in September 2009, which was $300 under invoice.

If you can't get a decent price in your local area, consider the option of a short drive. Fitzmall has dealerships along the East Coast that should give you a good idea on what you should expect to pay for the car.

I purchased mine in Seattle, which worked out to a 2,200 mile drive, and saved $2,500 off a local price after arriving home.
    After not being satisfied with the local pricing last month for a 2.5X Premium, I made another phone call yesterday and was able to get my desired price. Here's the deal:

2010 Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV with All Weather Package and Pop Equip Pkg 1A

MSRP: $25641
    Invoice: $24038
    Price: $22738 (+ tax + $175.65 in total tags/doc fees)

I know these are leftovers at this point, but the inventories do seem to be dwindling quickly. Wanted to act now while I could get the color we wanted. Pick it up tomorrow.
    edited October 2010
    That is a very good price, in my opinion.

I bought my 2010 Forester XT Premium package back in June in Pensacola, FL after an extensive search up to 1000 miles driving radius for the turbo version (need that extra power for my frequent trips to high altitude drives in Colorado and High Sierras).

Unfortunately, there were not that many turbos around. Actually, I only found one and even that was a dealer-traded car. Had to take it with what was on it - factory installed options. Just got some extras such as mud flaps, rubber floor mats and cargo tray.
    What I miss (that I had on my 2005 previously owned Forester) are the heated outside rear view mirrors. I am now trying to figure out, if my Forester is pre-wired for that option and if I could just plug in heated mirrors (glass) along with control switch on the dash board.

I have somehow a vague ongoing conversation with SOA tech. support about this issue. They are not very helpful when somebody wants to add stuff to cars because they consider that modification and that is normally done by dealers.
    I like to do it myself as I have done it on my 2005 Forester in the past.

I've paid 500 over invoice at that time.
    Hello:

I went in for my first 3,000 service and looked at the brochure at the dealer detailing their 7,500 and higher services. One thing they include on all services from 7,500
    and up is "BG MOA with Engine Protection"

Do I really need this since I plan on using Mobil 1 synthetic oil? Can I opt out of it if I choose to get service at the Subaru dealer?

Regards,
    Craig
    I agree - that's a great price dad2be! Be sure to let us know what you think of the car after you have a few miles under your belt!

jogousa - Whether they were telling the truth or not, I don't know, but the story I was told by several service managers (two here in Alaska and one in Seattle), is that the non-AWP cars are not pre-wired for the heating coils - which includes mirrors, windshield, and seats, and that is why the package is only offered as a factory option.

Don't let that dissuade you from pursuing it; I just wanted to relay the info I received.