Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tltl1212tltl1212 Member Posts: 1
    2011 forester auto 2.5X/awp
    Just get the price from dealer, it is $21000(invoice $21897), but have to pay $195 (pin stripes) + $95 (vin etching) +tax, title, license and fees.

what do you guys think?

Thanks
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    SOunds pretty good to me nut Yea, Check FitzMall.com for reference
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    What is vin etching?
    VIN Etching - they mark the windows with the VIN allegedly in the event the car gets stoled it can be identified and is harder for the chop shop to sell. Rip off according to anything I have read. The VIN is on every other part of the vehicle and if chop shopd couldn't deal with them no cars would be stolen and sold.

Ask a cop if it's useful.
  • baires60baires60 Member Posts: 30
    VIN etching is also done Free in some parts of the country by the police - I had my car etched in NY - they did all the windows of the VW Jetta - I am waiting to get the Subaru Forrester done for the free push - it also can save on ionsurance in some places. Check with your insurer, I am sure a chop shop could burn the numbers off if they wanted too but why go to the trouble if there's another car 2 spots down that is nice and clean. I did it for the insurance, just never submittied it..I will with the forester.
  • wanfishwanfish Member Posts: 4
    That's exactly the one I am going to buy, hunting now.
    May I ask which dealer got this nice deal for you and contact name? thanks .
  • tazzitazzi Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2010
    Am looking to buy a 2011 Forester Limited. One of the area dealers has one that I want to buy (base Limited with popular equipment group 5B (auto dimming mirror w/homelink and security sensor) and a rear bumper cover.
    MSRP: $27,990
    $3402 off for a selling price of $24,588 + TTL
    Another dealership is offering $3402 off all their Foresters in stock but don’t have any limited ones in stock. My dealership is willing to match the price.
    Good deal?
    What is the securing sensor anyway?
    A good baseline for prices is Fitzmall. They'll negotiate their stated prices a little and will even ship cars to you if you want that hassle. You should be able to get about the same prices from youor local dealer

http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/locations/makelocation.asp?lstMAKE=Subaru
  • willysowillyso Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Tazi mind sharing the dealership name that is offering 3402 off
    Thanks
    Elk Grove Subaru was the dealership offering the $3402 off. Maita Subaru was offering $3189 off as well.

I bought from Autowest Honda in Roseville because they were closer to me and had the limited version.
    Oops...make that Autowest Subaru - not Honda. Sorry about that!
  • raiderfan1raiderfan1 Member Posts: 12
    Just turned in 08' Outback Lease and decided to try a Forester this time...

Deal was this:
    MSRP 26,189.00
    Cap Cost 23,900.00
    Out of Pocket 322.00 licence Reg
    36 at $275.00
    62% Residual is 16,237.18
    Money Factor .00215
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Look at that residual, sweet!

Congrats.
  • umvasumvas Member Posts: 1
    Need help!! Is it a good price.

I am getting 2011 Forester 4dr Auto 2.5X Premium w/All-W Pkg & TomTom Nav Price with following options

Backup Camera,
    auto dimming mirror w/homelink and security sensor,
    all weather floor mats,
    Popular Equiptment group 1A -inc: rear bumper cover, platinum cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, splash guards

for MSRP : $27,060
    Final Dealer negotiated price $23,500 + TTL + Taxes.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Seriously? A price of $23,500 on that MSRP? If this is the car you want, I think it would be downright foolish to pass while trying to holdout for a better deal. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • wanfishwanfish Member Posts: 4
    which dealer gave you such good offer? I really want the same deal ,could you give me some information . .thx
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Has anybody had problems with closing the rear hatch?
    It has to be slammed hard for it to completely close otherwise you might leave it
    partially opened overnight or longer, which isn't good for the battery.
    I think you can adjust the position of the latch, at least that was the case on my 1998 model.
    Yes, I have. It can be a real PITA sometimes. Most of the times it is great, but every once in a while.... :mad:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    I have to slam the rear hatch as well but I would not adjust it. If it is not tight enough, you may get a squeek from rear hatch rubbing against the rubber hatch seal/weather stripping, when car body flexes in turns.
    In my opining, the right way to "slam" it is to hold it/pushing it, while closing. That way you don't really drop it from wide open position .... you don't want the rear window pop out, while closing it.
  • jk2011tourjk2011tour Member Posts: 7
    The cargo tray in the rear must be pushed forward or the hatch will not close. I had same problem. This worked.
    I wonder if some velcro or other anti-slip on the bottom of the mat would keep it from sliding back again?

That has happened to me, too.
  • rustythepuppyrustythepuppy Member Posts: 14
    rear bumper cover, splash guard kit and a/t. this is the alaska price, i guess. i know that i got robbed, but i wanted the vehicle. each extra feature kept raising the price. dealer would not move at all. sticker was 26,149. this vehicle better be running until i die.
    first thing i noticed -- had to shut it about 5 times -- kept waiting for the little red light to go off. 4 speakers in xprem are not too hot, either.
    edited January 2011
    Actually, if your car comes with rear cargo tray it does have a non-slip carpet-like pad under the cargo tray. Alternatively, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the same non-slip kitchen drawer liner, cut it in size and put it under the rear cargo tray. It's like a rubber mesh looking non-slip liner. I have it all over my storage places in my car to prevent stuff from sliding around.
    Our 2009 has that.

My old 1998 model did not, so the tray would slide back and interfere.

Not surprisingly, the 98 would not latch at times, but the 09 always does.
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes I literally have to slam mine with all my strength to get it to close. Both of my license plate lights have stopped working as a result. It really pisses me off, frankly, but I have not adjusted it because I would be more annoyed by a constant hatch rattle than I am by the occasional need to beat my car into submission. It is definitely not an issue of object interference.

Considering how easily it closes most of the time, I suspect it is an issue with the latch mechanism sticking.
    wow, i just got the premium auto with awp with rear bumper cover and splash guard kit -- for 26,983 out the door. i paid way too much for this.
    edited January 2011
    Where did you buy your car? The local dealer here (only one with in 350 miles) will not budge on price either. I ended up taking a 2200 mile trip to get mine, and saved $2500 doing it (after factoring the cost of the trip!).
    I bought it in alaska. Im not very satisfied with my buying experience, but i'm hoping my subaru can live up to the hype. Ive finally got about 1000 miles on it, but the average fuel consumption is terrible.
    Yeah, you can't get a decent price in Alaska. I make a quick jump down to Seattle for mine. It was absolutely worth it and I would do it again in heartbeat.

If you are in Fairbanks, I highly recommend switching out all fluids with full synthetic. Your differentials, especially, will create much less drag in the cold weather and give you probably 2-3 mpg better economy once it dips under zero.
    I am in fbx. I was wondering if the cold would impact my mileage. My oil cap says 0w-20, but kendall swears only turbos require synthetic. Will have to see about the costs. Ive heard regardless of change, once i put synthetic in, theres no going back.
    edited January 2011
    No, you can go back, but I never would. Synthetic offers better protection and better cold flow. My 2010 asks for 5w-30; I give it 0w-30 synthetic, with the transmission and differentials receiving 75w-90 synthetic. So far, the worst winter tank has been right at 19 mpg, and that was last month (December), which was, on average, much colder than any previous winter month we have seen in quite a few years. Not stellar, for sure, but better than the 16-17 tanks I used to see in previous Outbacks before I started using synthetic fluids.

So far my calculated average for 22,000 miles is 23.2 mpg, with the warmest six months (April through September) at 25.19 with 9634 miles driven and the colder months at 21.77 with 11636 miles driven. The summer average was drug down a little by our annual dipnet trip, which was 1100 miles pulling a trailer and averaging 17.8 mpg, so that month was 20.7 mpg while the rest were 25.0 or higher. Without that month, the summer average is 26.7. All in all, it is respectable for the way we use the car.
    edited January 2011
    Lic.plate lights stop working most likely because you were closing your rear hatch with those lights on. It is a common knowledge, for example, when investigating airplane crashes, those bulbs, that have their filaments broken, indicate that those bulbs where on at time of impact.

You may have noticed that most cars (no all though) that have lights with bulbs on their rear lids or hatches are designed in such a way that those lights and bulb are not on, when lids or hatches are being closed (like back-up lights, for example - those would not be on, when you are closing the hatch). You can judge the well thought-design of any cars, if they are properly designed, that these lights or bulbs are not on, when those hatches or lids are being closed.

I don't think it is an issue with the latch mechanism sticking. They are designed and assembled with exact tolerances and torques so that other components (such as air bags sensors and car body flex) are not compromised.
  • grhdwanabgrhdwanab Member Posts: 1
    I found this thread very helpful when trying to figure out what to pay for our new Forester, so here is our contribution for our purchase in FL

Forester 2.5x Limited w/protection group 3 and pop eqpt group 5B
    MSRP $27,859
    Invoice $25,955
    Paid $25,755
    Add non-negotiable dealer "prep fee" of $499 (common among dealers here) and in reality we ended up paying $26,255, $300 over invoice

We could've gotten a better deal had we not traded in a vehicle, but that is where we ended up after some haggling. If you're not trading in, my recommendation would be to factor in dealer fee and shoot for invoice as the bottom line.
  • hancermhancerm Member Posts: 1
    I bought the same car (without backup cam) about a month ago for $24,800 +Tax. Your price is really good! I got mine in Oklahoma.
  • berserktriponberserktripon Member Posts: 2
    2011 Forester Premium X Manual 5 spd
    All weather package
    Rear Bumper Cover

Negotiated price of $22,700 includes destination $725 and a PZEV fee of $300.

Consumer Reports had the bottom line price at $22,200, but I saw nothing about whether that included PZEV. So that could really have been $22,500.

Out the door $24,500ish. 6.25% sales tax, title, license and a $275 dealer doc fee (UGH).

How did I do? I'm really wondering how close I got. The PZEV thing threw me, I couldn't find much good information on this. All the Foresters on the lot seemed to have it. I don't know if you can get a non-PZEV Forester in Mass.
    You did fine, the dealer's gotta feed his kids. :shades:

Congrats!
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Bought a 2011 Forester for $19,552 plus registration. No sales tax in Oregon.

MSRP was $22,247.

2011 Forester X 5 speed
    * Alloy Wheel Value Package
    * Black Roof Rails
    * Rear Bumper Cover
    * Security System Individual Shock Sensor
    * Splash Guard Kit

Very painless process at Carr Subaru in Beaverton, Oregon.
    Under $20k with alloys? Out the door?

You stole it...
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I found a dealer that was selling a 2010 Forester with 25K on it for more than a comparable equiped 2011 that was NEW!!!

I contacted the dealer and was told that the Subarus have such GREAT resale that they frequently sell used Subarus for more than new ones!

I decided to stay away from that dealer.

Anyone else heard anything like that??
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2011
    Hope you car lasts a LONG time!
    Nope. That dealer sounds like they're preying on the ignorant amongst us. In some places, the cars hold their value very well and so do not depreciate quickly, but they still depreciate! I could probably buy a new Subaru for less in other places than a (slightly) used one here.
  • luvmysubaruluvmysubaru Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I heard the same thing and my research indicates it's true. I'm in the market for a Forester to replace my 2003 Outback that was in an accident last week. I was sure that I wanted a 2009 or 2010 Forester, but it turns out that both are more expensive than buying the 2011 model. A used car does not have the incentives that they give you with new cars, so if the car maintains its value, the new one tends to be a better deal.

I looked all over the Internet and could only find 4 2010 Foresters anywhere in the country that cost less (by only $200-$300) than the 2011 price I was quoted and the interest rate is higher to purchase the used model. Not to mention none of the 4 cars were in a state near me. Looks like I'll be getting the 2011 Forester.
  • mountaindogmountaindog Member Posts: 23
    What does the car cost the dealer?

Just purchased a 2011 Subaru Forester
    Auto trans
    allow wheels
    roof rails
    motor
    brakes
    steering wheel
    etc

all else standard. I wrote a check for 23001.47 cents. Talk about a pain. What is with this auto game. I can buy 1 million in gold contracts with just a few mouse clicks but buying a car is a game I will never understand. No wonder I keep my cars till they are dead. I hate buying a car.

Invoice, hold back, "Fees" "dealer prep" "dealer documentation fees" what a load. We all read the same thing. Supposedly a reasonable profit for the dealer is 300.00 dollars. So if the dealer pays 21000 for the car on a credit line of 5 percent then it costs 87.50 a month for each car in the inventory. With a profit of 300 dollars I am to believe the sales people can earn a living and they can pay the electric and heat bill. What gives here?

How much does the deal make on a sale of 23000.00. I am all for profit in the free world but, why the big secrete. I know one thing I couldn't make a profit selling 100 of something at 21000 if I only got to keep 300.00. It's easier to buy and sell something at a pawn shop. The pawn shop does try to add the Pawn mystery fee.

"I will sell you the car for 21000.00". Then I get papers in front of me that say 23511.49 cents. I understand I pay sales tax and registration, no issue there. But,,,,,,,, non-itimized "fees", "dealer documentation fees". What BS. Save everyone the time and just say "profit" and add it at the time of the quote and save everyone the time. After 2 weeks of emails I finally said I don't want to know anything about invoices, doc fees or anything else. I will pay 23001.47 on one check end of story and the rest of this transaction will be by email and postal mail. The only time I will set foot on the dealer lot is to drive away the car. I don't want to even see them. I would rather hang out with rats.

Now, how much did they earn. I surely hope it was more then 300 dollars.
  • tenntraditiontenntradition Member Posts: 1
    I notice that the Edmunds TMV for the 2011 Forester Limited is below invoice. Are the dealerships really selling cars for just 2% over cost (basically, the dealer holdback)? Or, is this where fees such as documentation fees and dealer prep fees come in? Does TMV reflect the negotiated MSRP/Invoice price or the pre-tax sign on the dotted line price?

Basically, I am trying to get a better idea of how to use the TMV in price negotiations. Are there basically two types of fees:

1) Invoiced fees from the manufacturer, some of which are paid back to the dealer (holdback and floorplan interest) and some of which are not (destination fee and advertising fees).

and

2) Post-settled-price fees added on by the dealer, such as the documentation fees. Do dealer prep fees also fall into this category?

Does TMV only reflect the average price that consumers are paying including category 1 fees, but not category 2?

In other words, if a dealership sells a Subaru Forester at Edmunds true market value (which is a bit below invoice in this case), is their only profit from the dealer holdback, or is the TMV not factoring in additional cost that is basically profit to the dealer, such as documentation fees and dealer prep fees?

Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated in my up-coming Forester negotiations!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Straight from the TMV horse's mouth....

The invoice price does not include any fees that may be charged by the manufacturer to dealers in a particular area of the country, such as local advertising fees, dealer association fees, or docking and storage fees. Edmunds.com does not track or provide such local fees.

If a local fee appears on the invoice, it is an actual cost that the dealer paid to the manufacturer when buying the vehicle. In other cases dealers may choose to write in their own ad fees on the consumer sales contract. However, in either case these local fees are a part of the dealer's cost of doing business.

Many consumers attempt to determine the dealer's "actual cost" for a vehicle and then "allow" for the dealer to make some profit. However, the invoice price is almost always higher than the amount the dealer actually ends up paying to the manufacturer. This results from a variety of discounts offered to the dealer that do not appear on the invoice. The two most common discounts are "dealer holdback" and "dealer cash incentives" - both of which are available on Edmunds.com - but there are often others that are not generally known and that are based on other factors (for example, the dealer's sales volume for a particular month).

Accordingly, determining the dealer's actual net cost is difficult even for seasoned automotive insiders. This is why we developed the Edmunds.com True Market Value® (TMV®) pricing system, which is our determination of what other consumers are actually paying for the vehicle. The TMV® accounts for the effect of all of the manufacturer's extra charges as well as the dealer's hidden subsidies, and we believe it is the most important price to know when negotiating your purchase.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mountaindogmountaindog Member Posts: 23
    Some way to do business.

A dealer does this every day. I do it once in 10 - 15 years. My last Subaru was 17 years old with 270,000 miles. I would still be running it but I live in a mountain location where there is salt on the road for 8 months of the year. First snow in Sept. last in May. While the motor was running fine there wasn't much left on the rest of the car.

I will only do all this dealing when I have no other choice.

I just dropped 23000 on a new Forester. I have no idea if I lost my [non-permissible content removed] or did okay.

How could I know with this way of doing business. At 57 years old I have purchased all kinds of things in my life. Only autos seem to be handled is such a strange manner.

Let me talk to the manager
    I'm not making any money on this car
    We paid xxxx, here look at the invoice
    We don't know anything about holdback

We have seen it all.

My last 3 Subarus all went over 200,000 miles. My Toyota truck is a 1994 with 227,000 miles. If any dealers are out there is listening I can say I would buy a few more new cars and trucks if the game didn't suck. I hope to run this new Forester for 250000 and a minimum of 15 years. I hate dealing with car dealers that much.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I completely understand & sympathize with your frustrations. The car business is so extemely unique. It is difficult to estimate exactly how much a dealer pays for a certain vehicle & how much profit they make on that vehicle. To be perfectly honest, it shouldn't matter to you. Guides like edmunds, truecar, & kbb are guides so YOU the consumer can determine what YOU think is a fair price to pay for a certain vehicle & not how much profit they make.

I'm not trying to sound insensitive, but if you are driving a car for 15 - 17 years & putting over 250,000 miles on a vehicle, does it really matter if you paid $500, $1000, even $2000 "too much?"

Now one option is to not go back to a dealer who "plays games" like you say. Now I don't know where you live, maybe there is only 1 Subaru dealer within X miles & they know it & can get X amount for their cars because of the mountainous region you are in. Maybe it would be worth your time & money to travel to a region where Subaru dealers actually have to compete for business, like New England, New York, or New Jersey.

If you had a dealer willing to work with you, how often would you trade up for a new one? Do you pay cash or finance your vehicles?

BTW, you put some really impressive amounts of miles on your cars. What's your secret to getting them to run so long.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I recommend you visit a no-haggle dealer next time. Usually the car salesman are salaried and earn bonuses based on your satisfaction.

That way you get people truly focused on finding you the exact car you want, and working hard to make you happy, not to make a buck.

Since I switched to that type of buying, the buying experience has improved tremendously. And frankly that is more important to me vs. getting $100 more off the bottom line.

The sales man I go to is someone I consider a friend, when I go test drive cars there he just tosses me the keys and says "have fun". It's nice to have a friendly relationship like that with a dealer.