Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• specdanspecdan Member Posts: 13
    Work with more than 1 Subaru Dealer.
    Know exactly what you want in the way of optional equipment etc.
    Get your hands on the Factory Invoice.
    Use Edmunds as a guideline, there figures though are old as Subaru has taken an increase in Pricing
    Work backwards off Invoice.
    Ply the 2 or more Dealerships against each other.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,787
    I agree; decide on any optional equipment now and plan that into the total OTD price.

In which part of the country are you buying (or considering buying)?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mkunzemkunze Member Posts: 29
    St. Louis area, but bad news. I was going to take the train to Chicago (only $25.00) to get a green one Saturday, but someone bought it before I decided upon the Forester and before I could put a deposit on it. Looks like everyone else is sold out.

I wonder when the 2012's will be out? I was a little let down, but I know to never chase a car deal. There are always other options and opportunity knocks all the time when purchasing a car.
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    Sold out? There's plenty of 2011's here in the Buffalo area.
    St. Louis is a great location - you could pick one up from anywhere in the Lower 48 and not have too long a drive to get home.

I picked up my 2010 from Seattle two years ago and had a quick 2,200 mile, 48-hour jaunt home to Fairbanks. Saved $2,500 doing it, too. :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The manual transmissions are all sold out. Plenty of automatics left. Lots of Subies in Colorado Springs I think. I'll check Buffalos zip code and look at the inventory. Subaru tends to have stock in the snowy areas.
  • forester5forester5 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a Subaru Forester Premium in St Paul MN last week with AWP plus #2 option/OTD price $26,755.00.I get a feelling I paid too much.Your input is appreciated .
    Forester5
    There is a large-volume dealer in Colorado called Heuberger (or something like that). I'm not sure on the distance to St. Louis, but you should be able to find a base manual at a decent price there if you strike out anywhere closer.
  • sandy12348sandy12348 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, there :) ,

I am new here and planning to buy a new or Forester in Atlanta or nearby areas :D .

Can anyone here provide any useful information on this (price and dealer name) :confuse: ?

I don't know if Subaru has any referal program. If not, I would like to show my thankfulness in other ways (like providing a dinner?) :confuse: .

Thanks in advance. :P

Sandy
    How does this sound?

2011 Subaru 2.5X Manual trans

$20,500 includes the alloy wheels, roof rails, floor mats, cargo tray and luggage cover.

Plus 157.00 documentation fee and $10.00 temp reg fee
    Gotta have the Invoice to make an intelligent offer.
    Unfortunately I can't get a hold of the invoice as I will have to travel to get my hands on it. According to Edmunds

Total Price
    $20,470 invoice
    $21,620 MSRP
    $20,345 TMV
  • pjtippjtip Member Posts: 10
    Here was my deal for people comparison shopping:

2011 2.5x Forester Auto with Alloy Wheel Package and Popular Equipment Group 1b.

Sticker: $23,576
    Paid: $21,150 + $399 doc fee + taxes
    1.9% for 48 months

Good luck!
  • podunk1podunk1 Member Posts: 11
    I think you ended up with a bette deal than I did yesterday.

Sticker 2.5x AT with alloy pkg all weather mats 1A pkg & destination $23345
    Paid $21452 + $250 doc fee +ttl

Buyers remorse set in quickly. Hoping I made the right decision. Been bouncing between a RAV4 & just about every other vehicle ever made for over a year :confuse: Couldn't wait any longer & just pulled the plug on this one.
  • pjtippjtip Member Posts: 10
    I know what you mean - I could get buyer's remorse from paying $10 for a $20 bill.

I don't think anyone could go wrong between a Rav4, CRV and a Forester. All good cars.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    I know what you mean - I could get buyer's remorse from paying $10 for a $20 bill.

Now... that's funny... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Buy it before all the manuals are gone...

My brother had to wait more than a month to get his, and that was before the quake!
  • podunk1podunk1 Member Posts: 11
    Buyers Remorse: 1st hour driving the new car hit the driver window down button..nothing. Hmm try again..nada. Reach for the manual figuring I'm too stupid to open a window...thunnnnk window's 1/2 down now & off the track & monsoon rain. Seriously?

Straight back to the dealer it went. I'm looking at it as a weird type of good karma. My last "new" car was back to the dealer the 1st week for a door that wouldn't close (try driving that!) It lasted 180k in 8 years & still going, I just couldn't take the rust anymore. Hopefully I can break 200k with this one :shades:
    edited May 2011
    Final deal:

2011 Subaru 2.5X Forester Manual trans. Includes the alloy wheels, roof rails, floor mats, cargo tray and luggage cover.

Sticker $21930.

Paid $19,999.

Plus 149.00 documentation fee.

That's $500 less than my previous deal, and I think the best I could have done. :)
    Congrats. What color?

Manuals can be hard to find, too...
    Agreed; sounds like you did great! Where did you end up buying?
    edited May 2011
    I HAD to get a white one. Would not have been my son's choice, but when he mentioned that, I reamed him out for how lucky he is that we bought any car for him to use while at college. There is 1 Forester MT in Wisconsin, 1 in Michigan and 2 in Ohio. This one was the closest.

I had to go to Chicago and then to Merrillville Indiana. The trains cost me $24.00 and $4.85. Averaged 30.1 mpg on the way back. Mostly highway, but not bad for a brand new car.
    1 MT per state, about. Hilarious.

C'mon Subaru, build more of 'em....
  • nineinchplatenineinchplate Member Posts: 1
    I found this forum to be a great source of information when buying my last two Foresters (2010 was totalled by weather). Bought the replacement 2011 this weekend. Here is what I paid.

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium with All Weather Package.
    MSRP: $26,088
    Paid: $23,899 + TTL

Emailed dealers in the Illinois, Missouri, and Indiana area. Had best internet quotes from Indiana dealerships near Chicago. Other dealers weren't willing to do as much discounting (or at least with initial internet quote).

We paid $23,100 for the 2010 model with the same equipment+fog lights last July. So, not as pleased as last year, but happy to get a decent deal with dwindling supply.
  • mhertzlermhertzler Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying one of these in a few weeks but want to know what your advice is as to price? Its listed for $14,000. Is $12,700 too low to offer? I am sure I can't get out of there for less than $13,000 but don't want to divulge that just yet. Anyone?
  • mickficklemickfickle Member Posts: 5
    That sounds like an amazing deal. I'm looking to buy a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Premium with the All-Weather Package and a few extras. The MSRP comes to about the same as what yours was, but they're trying to get me to pay $24,146. Would you mind sharing which dealer you went to?

Thanks much,

John
  • ball_breakrball_breakr Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if you were asking me, but I got mine at Subaru of Wakefield, in Wakefield, MA. Their internet sales guy was great - his name was Jon. I do think that some factory to dealer incentives may not be in effect now, however.

Pat
  • budhinabudhina Member Posts: 8
    Couple of dealers have offered around $20,700 +TTL for a Subaru Forestor with :

1.Auto Trans
    2.Alloywheel
    3.Roof Rails

I was just wondering if it sounds like a good deal ? Can you please put in your suggestions..
    That's $21,521 at fitzmall.com locally.

You sure they're including freight? If so hurry the heck up before they change their minds!
    Yes...it includes the Freight...the OTD Price is around 23,200(all inclusive)..
    Between, do you drive a Subaru Forester ? How is your experience with Subaru ?
    Love it, we had a '98 and now have an '09. My extended family has owned 6 or 7 of them, all good experiences.
    wow...that sounds awesome....
    Hi All,
    I am almost on the verge of buying Subaru Forester 2011. How do you guys rate this car and what do you think about it in comparison to Honda-CRV. I personally don't like CRV and want to go with Subaru taking into consideration the reliability. Just want your expert opinion before going ahead with the deal.

Thanks,
    I can't compare to a CR-V because I have no experience with one. My wife and I really enjoy our Forester, though (2010). It is extremely versatile and, so far, fully reliable. Given the choice, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Thanks for your encouraging reply xwesx. I have been offered around 23K OTD for FXT-2011 2.5x Auto....What do you think of the price ? is that a good buy ?
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Before I bought mine (2010 Forester XT) I also had Honda CRV and Toyota Rav-4 on my short list. But I could not compare apples with apples because local dealers did not have 4-wheel drive CRVs or Rav-4s - that is what I wanted for my frequent trips to the Rockies and Sierras in winter.
    This is my second Forester and I went with proven technology and past experience and retention of residual value.
    All of the above seem to grow in size - late CRVs and late Rav4s as well as Forester are bigger, roomier than previous production models. Not sure why, I kind of like the old sizes better.
    I am kind of happy with 2010 XT although the mileage isn't that great. Also, the need of using high octane fuel only ( XT requirement) is kind of a bummer with the gas prices now.
    I miss my 2005 Forester though... I "donated" it to my teenage son in San Francisco and he likes it for the versatility and snowboarding escapades in Tahoe area.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Get the CRV the Subaru sounds like a bunch of bolts in a blender.
    The CRV is quieter has a larger interior with more usable room with similar exterior dimensions and synthetic oil is not required.
    Bought a Forester in a State where they only require 1 license plate. On the front I see two square holes, but nothing that will hold a plate. The spacing between these holes is also bigger than the holes in the license plate. What can I do?

Perhaps this a problem the saving money by buying out of State can cause!! No local dealer to help me out.
    edited June 2011
    I admit that I haven't inspected the front of my Forester to see how the plate is mounted, but on my previous Outbacks, which did not have a dedicated mount point, the dealership simply screwed the plate into the plastic bumper shell.

If your car has square holes, usually those would be used to insert plastic screw holds. If they're wider than your plate holes, though, that might not do any good! If they are not wider than the plate itself, you could just drill new holes in the plate to match. It's just aluminum - it will drill out with minimal effort.
    Four days ago, I purchased a 2011 Forester 2.5x Premium in the Baltimore-WashingtonDC area for $1150 under invoice. The specific car is a sage green 2011 Forester 2.5x Premium with the All-Weather Package (heated seats, mirrors, windows...), all-weather mats, rear bumper cover, removable cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, splash guards, aero cross bars, ipod/cellphone tray and the auto-dimming mirror with compass. The auto-dimming mirror was the feature that I did not need or want. The MSRP on the vehicle was $26,764. The invoice was $24,804. I got it for $23,654 + $1,419.24 in taxes, $240 in titles and tags and $95 processing fee. The $725 destination fee and $300 PZEV fee were included in the prices quoted. The total was $25408.24, over $1300 below MSRP.

If you're looking to buy a new Subaru, I suggest you check out Edmunds for the reviews to determine what exactly you might want and then to get the invoice and MSRP price. Then check TrueCars which usually directs you to a dealer offering the car below invoice. In my case, I found one dealer offering $500 below invoice. I e-mailed 5-10 other dealers in MD/VA and three others were, eventually, willing to come down to $500-600 below invoice (after some internet haggling). A different dealership offered $1000 below invoice (having been told my starting point of $500 below), had an internet coupon for $150 off and had me in that weekend to finalize the deal. Subaru is offering 1.9% APR for a 36 month loan until the end of the month, but we would have been able to get 2.25% from a local bank for a 60 or 72 month loan.

Thanks everyone for your posts and all of the information. If not for reading about the great deals people were able to make, I might have settled for less. Thanks!

-John
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Simple solution (that I have done in FL... where we also only rear lic. plate... will solve it:
    Measure the middle of the front bumper; measure center of front license plate and use it as a template. Mark front license plate holes and drill small holes at those spots. Insert white screw-in plaster anchors (available at Lowes or Home Depot) - and you have mounting holes with thread in the front bumper!
    $1150 off Invoice is a good deal. I bought mine 6 weeks ago for $1300 off Invoice. You lay out the pertinent points: Contact as many Subaru dealers as you can. Let them fight over your Business. Know exactly what you want and don't waiver. Finally, get your hands on the Invoice.
    Congratulations!!
    I own a 2008 CRV and a 2011 Subaru Forester.
    I lean slightly to the CRV.
    Forester gets better Mileage Per Gallon but there are little things I don't like.
    When starting the Forester up, engine runs rough for awhile, passenger seat sits low so visibility isn't good.
    Overall though, you can't go wrong with either. Good luck!
    I bought my Forester 2.5 X Auto Trans with Alloywheel package for $20,649 + TTL. I guess its a good vehicle .....though there is some noise at 70mph but its not that bad....4 gears are smooth...Not sure what the invoice price was but this is the best deal I was getting and no one was willing to beat this. I contacted as many as 10 dealers in the area....
    Yeah...the MSRP was $23,200
    specdan,

Thanks. I had hoped to get $1300 below invoice, but when none of the other dealers would approach $1000, I thought it best not to press my luck. I did, actually, check with out of state dealers close to where family lives too. Nice job on the $1300!

Btw, do you know now dealers can actually afford to go $1300 below invoice? I know there's a $400-500 holdback, but that doesn't seem to add up completely.

Thanks,

John
    John, you did great regardless. Once you get below invoice, you're doing just fine.
  • lucasqlucasq Member Posts: 20
    Thanks
    Sharrett Subaru in Hagerstown us where I purchased it. A number of others in the DC/MD/Balt. area were willing to come down to $500-600 below invoice though too.

-John
  • kannon8833kannon8833 Member Posts: 7
    We purchased a 2011 Forester Premium with AWP, auto, fog lights, and the mats and stuff for a good bit below invoice - went to Jones Junction. Recommend going to Truecar.com and go to Jones at the end of the month. In the beginning they would not budge but on last day to of the month they dropped significantly below invoice - best of all deals plus lot of sweet freebies.

Best of luck,