Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Man, good point. With a Fumoto valve I bet you could change the oil in the amount of time it takes to drain the old oil out, just about. Would be incredibly easy!
  • bwaabwaa Member Posts: 13
    I leased a Forrester a few months ago and the sound system is just absolutely horrid, when Rihanna's Diamonds comes on the radio, sounds like it's coming out of a can. Am I the only one with this problem?!

And I put down 800 and am paying $325 per month until 2015, does that sound fair for this car?
    All of Rihanna's music sounds like that, no matter the source. ;)

Subaru isn't known for great audio, so I'd look to aftermarket upgrades if you're an audiophile.

We're not, so to us it sounds fine.
  • bwaabwaa Member Posts: 13
    true, true, Diamonds is a horrid song. But the sound quality took me by surprise - I hadn't heard anything that bad since I had a CD walkman in the early 90's.

Actually, when I plug in my old iPod Mini from 2003, the sound is fine. I can't understand it. But CDs, radio, my newer iPod? Forget about it.

But glad to know it's not just me! I wish I had noticed it when I was test driving. I'm low on funds so I can't exactly upgrade it at the moment. :/
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited February 2013
    I think the sound is fine, but then I'm not too picky about it as long as it has good range. I mean, it is in a car, so the other noises of driving are bound to disrupt the purity of the sound. That's good though, as I need to interact with my vehicle, and sound is part of the feedback.

The Subaru's default equalization is quite tinny and requires you to turn the volume up way too loud. I usually put Bass at 4 and both mid/treble at 8. Then, I can put the volume at 20 while cruising and the equalization is fine along with the volume.

I will say, though, that the Fiesta's sound is much better. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Member Posts: 13
    Looking to buy 2013 Subaru Limited several dealer quotes from NJ. Has anyone had better quotes?
    Best one currently
    MSRP $28,479 ( Limited, Destination, Mirror/compass, Body side molding, Bumper cover,Splash guards) no other dealer installed equipment.

Invoice $26, 546

Car price $24,395

7% Tax= $1,707.65

4 year Registration and tags $316.

Tire Tax $7.50

Doc Fee $ 269

OTD = $26, 695.15

0% financing for 63 months
  • dasanii19dasanii19 Member Posts: 28
    MNC,

I think you can get it for 23,918 OTD. Not including your registration....$24235 with registration.
    I think you're dreaming! But, good luck to MNC if the hunt for a better deal continues.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I think you're dreaming! But, good luck to MNC if the hunt for a better deal continues.

It is a 2013 model, but they'd be selling it at a solid loss if they let it go for that price.
    I bought mine for that, it just took a little negotiating plus its the last day if the month so hd has leverage. I know for a fact he can get this price....
    If you can't get it for $23,900 I know for a fact you can get it for $24,400 ($500 more) .
    It did get better. Just finished the deal. Yesterday nothing today everyone can deal. I could have saved another 300 but I would have to drive 150 miles round trip and take 4 hours out of my life so it would not be worth it.

MSRP $28,479
    Invoice $26,546

Car price $24,100

Tax 7% $1687
    NJ Tire Tax $7.50
    Title/Tags/Reg 319.50
    Doc Fee $ 315

OTD $26,429
    Probably would have spent have that much on fuel. ;)

Congrats.
    You got a new 2013 2.5 Limited for 23,918 OTD ( Car, options, TAX) ? Are you in the state of high taxes, know as NJ? I was offered a 2013 Limited demo with 2200 miles on it for $23,100 ( car price), but that was no deal.
    Yes , $4335 discount off sticker plus tax. I know for a fact you can get your price slot lower. Talk to the GM.
    I'm sorry, I was doing my math off your invoice price thinking it was MSRP for some reason... You did great!!!It would had been tough to go any lower. The least I think you could have got them down to (and this is with pulling teeth mind you) is $25834 Out the door/tax included. Any time I negociate, I always ask them to throw something in like a set of all weather floor mats. I definitely think you got a great deal and you should feel confident in your decision. I'm at work trying to read and type , so sorry about the confusion.. Great job!!!
    Hahah; sorry, I should have been more clear when I said you were dreaming. The price you suggested would have put him about $4K under invoice, which was a ludicrous thought to me. $4K under MSRP makes a lot more sense. :)
  • jamesm7jamesm7 Member Posts: 2
    Tips for getting a good deal on a 2014 Forester Premium, auto, with winter package (heated seats)? Best offer I've found so far (in WA) is:

25332.00 Bottom Line Price
    221.50 License
    150.00 Document Fee
    2482.54 Sales Tax
    28186.04 Delivered Price
  • shamilshamil Member Posts: 5
    Anybody had a good deal for a new 2014 Forester 2.5 Auto Premium in Texas or around?
  • shamilshamil Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT with Weather Pkg (with several other small options), got it today for $26,500 OTD in Texas

Vehicle price ........... $24,800

OTD Price ................. $26,500 (doc fee $125, sales tax 6.25%, TT&L, etc.)
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2013
    Last night purchased a 2014 Forester XT Premium in SoCal for 100 over factory invoice, which is a fair deal I guess, considering FXT Premiums are in short supply right now. No trade, no money down. zero dealer mark ups, no warranties purchased, third party financing. only 80 doc fee and TTL

In socal its easy to get 400 over invoice if you can find the right FXT.
    BTW, truecar has incorrect invoice pricing on some accessories, so get your numbers right before hand.
    edited April 2013
    80 doc fee is cheap. MD limits those to $200 and most dealers are right there. I've seen $400 from VA dealers.

Congrats!
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    It helps to have an $80 doc fee limit by law, but does not compensate for the crazy sales tax you pay in CA :(
  • buyer157buyer157 Member Posts: 40
    Great thread folks. Many of you sound like you are pros at this.

Went for a test drive today of both the Forester and Outback. I've also driven the CX5 and the RAV. I was incredibly impressed by the Forester.

Ideally, I would like a Premium Auto.Don't need the all-weather package or other options.

I wasn't ready to do final negotiations with the salesperson today, but asked for ball park pricing.

First issue - he started telling me that as this is the north east, all the cars come with the weather package..."everybody wants it." He also told me that things like the auto lighting approach mirrors and auto dimming mirrors are also on every car..(another extra 500 on top of the 500 for the all weather package).Add in the cargo cover, mud flaps etc...and we have 1300$ in options that he insisted were basically ordered up by everyone.

So, my question for this experienced group - how true are these statements?Was this similar to your own experience or did your dealer customize your car as you saw fit?

Second, assuming that the dealer is exaggerating and I can pushback hard, I'd love to hear what I should be insisting to pay for a premium CVT without any additional options. I saw someone on this thread paid 26500 OTD with the WinterOption, which sounds fair to me...

Any feedback on these two questions would be GREATLY appreciated. Any experiences in the NY/NJ, CT area are especially helpful. I will of course update the group and help any future buyers that I can.
  • jamesm7jamesm7 Member Posts: 2
    Every Premium auto we saw in Seattle had exactly the same package (side mirror lights, heated seats, auto dimming mirrors, homelink on the mirror, cargo cover). Our sales guy said that Subaru just builds the first batch all the same, and then starts adjusting the option mix later on. Made sense to me - but a) I have no idea if it's true or not, and b) it might as well be true, since you can go online and look at dealer inventory of many, many cars at all the dealers around here, all with exactly the same options package.

We paid (Eastside Subaru, Kirkland WA):

188.25 excise tax, license, title, registration
    2449.51 sales tax (9.8%, but WA state sales tax is [mostly] deductable from federal income tax - we're special.)
    150 documentary services fee (which really should just be rolled into the sales prices, sigh)
  • badintentionsbadintentions Member Posts: 7
    I got 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium with All Weather Package and some added accessories such as cargo net and aero cross bars for $23,900 OTD

I guess the dealer mixed up the numbers a bit but we're happy with the price.
    Hi all - Just took a test drive of a 2014 Forester Premium. Was incredibly impressed by the solid, yet agile road feel, interior volume and visibility. I've also driven the CX5, supposedly the class leader in small/mid-sized SUV driving dynamics, and felt the Forester was better.

Would have probably bought it then and there if the salesman didn't start to try to upsell me every single conceivable option.

My question- what should I expect to pay OTD for a Premium Forester CVT? I think the standard feature set will suit me just fine. I'd love to hear how buyers on this thread did...please specify any options above the standard Premium trim package you included. I'd be so appreciative of this groups feedback.....and will provide an update for all future readers.
    See my post above yours. I got mine for $23,900 OTD. Premium CVT with All Weather Package. Also came with wheel locks, splash guard, aero cross bars, and rear rubber cargo liner.

But I think the dealer mixed up some numbers, probably should have been closer to $25K OTD but I'm not complaining.
    That is an amazing price for a 2014! Below invoice. What state do you live in? Here in NY, we have 8.65% sales tax..which would make the purchase price of that vehicle at around 21K.
    I am in Colorado, I live in an unincorporated area so tax is only 5%
  • westmichwestmich Member Posts: 2
    That is roughly 3k under invoice. Quite a dealer mistake--I have never heard of a mistake like this. I cannot get that car in Michigan for invoice much less 3k under.

What am I missing?
    Well we did have a trade-in but they over valued it. They initially offered 2K under we owed. After a mix up with the loan we had to rewrite it so we re-negoiated the price and they ended up giving us $2.5K over what we owed for our trade-in. So went from negative $2000 to a positive $2,500 ($4,500 swing) in our favor. On top of that they dropped the price down.

So yes, it wasn't a straight $23.9K OTD but with the over valued trade, it essentially was.

And yes, their initially valuation of our trade was more accurate. No way we should have received $2.5K over what we owed on our own car. We went to multiple dealerships and they offered below or at the initial trade value of $2K under.
  • krellu7421krellu7421 Member Posts: 8
    Picked up a '14 Forester LTD. on monday.
    Sticker at $31073 plus dealer added at my request
    wheel locks and moonroof wind deflector.
    Paid $29700. nyc area.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    May I know which dealer you went? I'm looking for something similar.
  • joeincojoeinco Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I'm picking mine up today and for the first time I am going to lease. Getting a Forester premium with All/Weather package and a couple of small options. Only thing down is first payment. Best advice I can give is work a couple of guys against each other and do your shopping over the internet. I still haven't actually picked mine up but I think it should go smooth. I do have a back up and they are within a few bucs of the best deal. I'm not a pro but it seemed like a good deal to me.

12k 42 mo.
    Lease payment $273.00 includes tax
    MSRP $26,885.
    Car Price $23167.00
  • joeincojoeinco Member Posts: 3
    The deal actually ended up being $272 per month including tax.
    36 Months 12k per year
    287.00 as first month payment 35 remaining.
    Decent Deal!
    edited May 2013
    Hi all -
    Quick update. I've received a couple of dealer quotes on a new 2014 forester and have found some variation. Best I've found is in the 27500 range OTD (tax, dmv, etc). This is for a Premium with the all weather package. I'm not trading anything in.

What do you think? Pull the trigger or is 27000 OTD closer to what I should expect to pay?

Should mention for those out of state - NY sales tax is 8.625%
  • dlhansondlhanson Member Posts: 6
    The invoice price less 2% of a 2014 Forester Premium PZEV Automatic CVT with all weather package added is $24,300 (per edmunds.com). Subtract the tax and dmv and your price shouldn't be higher than $24,300.

This is how much you would pay if you used the Subaru VIP program (available if you join several groups -- IMBA is the least expensive at $30 per year --- must be a member for a minimum of 6 months before purchase).
    http://www.imba.com/membership/individual/benefits/subaru-vip-program
  • carbuyerpersoncarbuyerperson Member Posts: 1
    Thanks in advance for the replies/answers to my questions...

There is currently an offer of 1.9% financing for all new 2014 Foresters. I'd much prefer a cash back offer. Does Subaru ever offer cash back incentives in place of low interest rate financing incentives? If so, how often does Subaru switch their promotions? i.e., when/how often should I check back with my local dealers to see if a cash back offer has emerged?
    thanks so much for the reply. Really appreciate it. Wish I knew about this option 6 months ago...that would have to count among the best 30$ anyone has ever spent. I'll have to see if any of the dealerships will honor it, but I'm already guessing I know the answer...."gee...we'd like to, but subaru gives us $$$ back to support members of this program. Since you aren't actually a member, we won't get support from Subaru, and so we will actually lose money selling you this car....."

How much truth there is in this statement is unknown, but I'll see what I can do.

Wonder if anyone else had luck with this approach??
    edited May 2013
    I've not seen anything and would not expect to on a new model like the Forester. They are offering more incentives on remaining 2013s and on the sedans. Foresters and outbacks seem to be holding their own.
  • travvellrtravvellr Member Posts: 1
    I recently got a quote for a 2014 Forester 2.5i Limited using Costco. The car in question also includes (supposedly no charge)
    - Dark Gray Metallic Body Side Molding Kit
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - Front Side Sill Plate
    - Splash Guard Kit

The price quoted is $27392 OTD price is $28581 ($299 doc fee, $822 taxes, $68 tag fee)
    I have never had to haggle before and want to know if I can push this any further.
  • schewmischewmi Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    Equipments:

Base Model
    Popular Package #1 includes:
    -Auto Dim Mirror with Compass
    -Exterior Dim Mirrors with Approach Lighting
    -Rear Bumper Cover
    -Cargo Net
    All Weather Package includes:
    -Windshield Wiper De-Icer
    -Heated Front Seats
    -Heated Exterior Mirrors

MSRP: $26,887
    Sale Price:: $23,942.79

OTD: 25,160
    wow. incredible deal. Are you saying you got a premium CVT with the all weather package and the auto dim mirrors for under 24K?

What state are you located in...and did you have any loyalty rebates or anything attached to that or are you just a really fine negotiator?
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Which dealer did you go to?
    I got $200 below invoice.
    I am going to order my from manufacturer. The wait is 8 to 10 weeks.
    Color: Satin White Pearl
    Accessories: Rear bumper cover, Body side molding, Fog lamp kit, Splash guard, installation fee, Luggage compartment cover, Sunshade, sales tax, all state fee, and other fees

Out of door $30,420 (before any financing charges)

Need to decide if finance or try with cash buy to see if I can get under $30,000

Happy buying.....
  • schewmischewmi Member Posts: 10
    Guys,

I am working with a small dealer in MD area. The salesperson is very sincere in his job and works with you to get all the necessary documents needed to do your own financing. He sent me the PO via email.
  • houston18houston18 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a great price. Did the sale price include destination?
  • smalbanysmalbany Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2013
    I live in Montgomery County and would appreciate a referral to your dealer/salesperson. Could you send me a PM with the information or post to board? Thanks.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    2014 Forester 2.5i Premium CVT
    MSRP: $27,322
    Invoice: $ 25,437

Price paid: $24,928
    Doc Fee: $80
    Tax 9%: $ 2,250
    DMV: $262
    E-title: $15
    Tire Fee: $8.75
    Total OTD : $27,544

Instock vehicle, no need to order or VIP. Email negotiation.
  • oscarg1oscarg1 Member Posts: 3
    This is my first foray into buying a Subaru. I am trying to figure out a "good" price for a 2014 Forester Touring 2.5. It seems like $500 under invoice is a good price, but I can't seem to find enough data in these boards and on the internet. If you have purchased this car what is a good price?

It seems that asking for $27,300 + TTL is a very good price. Is that correct?

I'm not interested in getting the extra option (although could be convinced if you have advice on that)

Thanks in advance.