Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Anybody Help Solve My 2000 Nissan Frontier problem?

Comments

• artpartp Posts: 156
    Your just looking for something to [non-permissible content removed] and complain about...

Vince, had you read my posts you would know that I don't think any manufacturer is perfect and that all vehicles break.

Had you noticed I never specifically said anything about Japanese vehicles. I was putting down GM and Chrysler for being last in reliability, and NOT according to my experience.

BTW, I do change my own oil. Others may want the service record for warranty or resale purpose.
  • zbad71zbad71 Posts: 226
    "Your just looking for something to [non-permissible content removed] and
    complain about..."

Whatever. What comes standard on my Z71 is a hard to get "option" on your Tundra. The Tundra is less payload and tow capable, less offroad capable (can't even get a locking or limited slip differential), has less interior comforts, has smaller interior cabin and extended cab area, cheap and cheesy controls and radio equipment, brakes longer to a stop loaded and unloaded, and gets less fuel economy. It is just not a true competitor to a true full size truck and still costs more than 3k more than a domestic full size truck. Even looking at its exterior shows a mid-size Dodge Dakota like truck, which is fine, but not at the same cost of a true full sized truck.

When I looked at Tundra's to see what this so calleed big craze was all about, I saw the typical Toyota truck.....Plain and basic design, less useability and optional equipment and a truck relying on the Toyota name to sell at a way overpriced cost.

Not bitching, just comparing domestics to the overpriced imports. The reliabilty claims you make of Toyota over domestics is just not valid, period. You have provided us no facts whatsoever. Consumer Reports is not factual data. Not even close.

Not to mention that the Tundra copied the ugly looks of the Ford F150. Awful ugly. At least the Tacoma is "cute".

The ONLY plus I liked about the Tundra is its higher true ground clearance, which it is clear to have an advantage over the domestics in that catagory of offroad capability. However, also, trying to put a heavy object over the bed rails would be difficult and not always convenient to be loaded from the tailgate area so its all a matter of what you use the truck for most, offroading or hauling.

BTW: Keep your receipts of the oil and filter and document the mileage of your oil changes is just as good as spending more money for some highschool kid to do it at a dealership. Better in my opinion because I trust myself to tighten the drain plug, the oil filter, add the right amounnt of oil and I also know exactly what oil is going into the truck. Many times you think you are getting a certain oil make and viscosity, but you actually get whats in the bulk tank. I have personally known one Toyota dealership to used only Valvoline oils (a good oil). Another only uses Pennzoil (crap in my opinion). This was purely due to the dealers cost of the bulk oil. Period.
    I meant "bitching" at other people in the topic for buying Nissan.

We can debate this Tundra Vs. big 3 all day, just as others do in 40 other topics here on Edmunds. neither of us are likely to budge on the issues.

I happen to agree with you about all of the nice options the GM offers and sometimes wonder whether I sould have bought a Sierra, they're very nice trucks. You bring up some valid points such as no limited slip on the Tundra and the fact that the Tundra can tow 7200 lbs vs GM's 8000 pounds. I guess what I'm trying to say is just because I like my Tundra doesn't mean I have to hate the competition. However the Tundra fits my needs better, 5000 lbs towing is adaquate for me, the bed is big enough for me, limited slip would be nice, but can't think of where I might actually NEED it (I have 4wd). I'm not using it for commercial use (a Ford would be my choice, though I think the GM looks nicer), I commute to work three days a week, I fish, boat, camp, offroad and screw around on my days off. I'm not hauling tractors!

Some of your points are not true, let's compare HALF TON Trucks:

Tundra 32 valve 4.7 V8

315 torque
    245 hp
    16 hwy mpg

Chevy 4.8 V8
    less torque
    less HP
    same or better mpg

If you want to compare 3/4 or one ton trucks, I'll take the Dodge Cummins.

Even the 5.3 Chevy engine has the same power as the Tundra. The 6.0 Chevy is only available in 3/4 ton models.

MSRP is about the same for the two trucks, it's just the Toyota dealers won't deal as much as the Chevy dealers, which is worth about $2000.

I think the Chevy is right for some people, who need a slightly more cab space, a slighly larger bed and need to tow a bit more weight (and like their service tech.!). I'M JUST NOT THAT PERSON!! I do believe my Tundra will be more reliable than your GM, just my opinion. To me the reliability is worth more than all of the nice GM options. All of those options = more things to go wrong :) - just kidding.

BTW - you mention your opinion much about the Tundra's "cheesy" interior. I've heard many times the phrase, regarding GM, "Fisher Price interior", and would have to agree.

Regarding who's truck is faster, my thoughts:

Unloaded tundra wins hands down, even on the braking. Much of this is due to weight and the Tundra's standard 3.9 rear end.

As you start to pile on weight, especially after 4000 pounds I think the GM will be the better performing truck.

In my Tundra with people, gear, fishing stuff, camping stuff and boat, I'd estimate the load to be 3000 pounds. With that weight the truck performs very nice, more than enough power (I pass my share of sedan's, up hill) in the mountains and stops very nicely. I would guess after 5000 pounds of weight you would be safe and get to your destiny at the speed limit but would need more patients.

If you've noticed. I'm trying to give a fair point of view, not just slam you because you're the competition, I don't see things that way. For some, it makes them feel better to slam people with different taste and vehicles. I know I'm not going to change your mind, your closed minded, I think.

BTW - what do you do with your truck?

hmmm......
    Most of the "love GM", "hate Toyota" crowd seem to have the same philosophy:

"The GM is bigger than the Tundra and has bigger AVAILABLE engines."

True

Ok, but what about Dodge. The Dodge RAM is bigger than the GM and has a bigger standard engine and an optional engine that can out haul anything (the Cummins).

Why aren't you all driving Dodges? I'll tell you why... You don't trust the transmissions and the overall reliability, right? You're willing to give up a bit of size for a truck you trust more and like better. Well us Tundra owners aren't driving the GM for the VERY SAME REASON!

Now I ask you, Zbad, what makes Tundra owners so wrong?
  • In response to your "so quick to judge attitude": First, I get my oil changed at the dealership because I am in the military and on military posts you cannot just change your own oil in front of your own quarters (house). Regulations forbid it. Secondly, I am stationed in Korea defending the US from tyranny so that you may have your basic fundamental rights: free speech, etc. so my wife gets the oil changed at the dealership (turns out those 10 min. quick lubes can't put on a drain plug correctly), Finally, we do keep those handy little receipts for resale reasons but I probably won't have to sale this (Frontier) truck for a long while. Seems that Artp knows what he's talking about.

BTW - Dealerships don't cost as much to change oil as you think. Yes, my wife has them put in Valvoline. I know what good oil is just like I know what a good vehicle is as well. Funny thing too. Valvoline comes in the 1 QT containers at the Nissan Dealership. Not the big bad drum of oil.

Enjoy your free speech while I (when I return to the US) enjoy my Japanese truck made in the US.

BTW - I have experience driving a lot of Korean Autos as well. Hummers too. Military Police always seem to get stuck driving HumVees. That is topic for a different place.

Enjoy the ride.
    Been there done that.

Helicopter crewchief 85-89. Toured to Okinawa, Mainland Japan (crewed many flights over Mnt. Fuji), Seol Korea, Alongapo and Minilla Phillipines, and Tialand. Lost many of my Marine Corps bretheren in the line of duty. People don't realize that one CH-53 helicopter crash can kill more than 25 at a time. 8 years total service. 4 of it active duty. 2 years active reserves during Desert Storm (Mine Sweeping missions). 2 years inactive reserves, but still did mini missions on occasion because of my MOS.

Now, since you are in the Military, I did not know that and understand why you have your oil changed by someone. However, you claim to be doing some kind of heroic duty that keeps my right to free speech. You are not doing anything that I have not done already for myself and millions of others.

Enjoy your import "made in the US". The profits still ultimately end up in Foreign lands, where the American Military is there to help them and their country. The reward or payback is for them to treat the American people like [non-permissible content removed]. We lose American lives to help and protect them while they spit in our faces. This is another reason I woke up and realized the "one" import I bought was a huge mistake.

What branch are you in? What is your MOS?
    What you say about Dodge is totally wrong. Dodge is old technology and the envy of "NOBODY". They have bigger engines as far as displacement but can't come close to the torque, hp, or fuel economy that GM and Ford have. Their transmissions ARE crap, but so is the whole truck.
    They may LOOK bigger, but the GM trucks have more interior room AND ground clearance than both Dodge and Ford.

You need to do a little research. Dodge is last in the line of trucks, then Tundra, then Ford, then GM being #1. This is overall functionality and reliability.

GM's transmissions are the toughest and best in the truck industry right now. I can't even count how many loyal Ford owners have mentioned that they wish they could have a GM transmission in their Ford trucks. Dodge has even more problems than Ford. I don't know how you can slam the GM transmissions. They have had the best transmissions since the Turbo 400 back in the 70's.

I am glad you are ok with driving a less cabable truck for more money than GM. Have fun. I wish you many years of reliable driving experience. I hope you buy another Tundra too. Keeps the cost of the real trucks down with the competition.

Take care.
    Care to comment on my post written before the Dodge remark?

I think the RAM is crap too, and agree, for the displacement the engines are anemic and hog fuel.

Again, what do YOU do with your truck? Are you hauling 5000+ pounds? Be honest. I see that as the biggest advantage of the GM.
    We all appriciate your service to our country. I will however remind of you of one thing. I recently mailed a $4500 quarterly, estimated tax (self emoloyment tax). The rest of us, at least those who pay taxes, are paying for your fine service.

And I do understand that it's the many service people who make it possible for me to earn a living in our strong, free market.
    I use my truck as a daily driver 45 mi. one way to work. I tow a 4000k bass boat and gear for bass tournaments which as of recent have slowed down some. I very frequently go offroad in the backwoods of Northern Missouri/Southern Illinois to deer hunt and turkey hunt among others. I recently used my truck to cut and haul firewood. I had almost a cord in the bed and a full cord on a trailer towed behind. It never missed a beat (Heartbeat of America). Today I had it loaded full of river rock to put under my 20 X 25 deck and various flower beds. Again, it hauled it like a trooper. I owned a 3/4 ton Ford that sagged more than this 1/2 ton Chevy.

I don't treat my truck like a common work truck, but I do work my truck. I have an 89 1 Ton Chevy with 454 that I use for heavy work, which I would match agains ANY new gas engined 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton or 1 ton. The only reason I havn't used it for some of the above mentioned is because it's down at the farm (I have another 400 acres about an hour away from my primary home) and I didn't want to have to go and get it. I use it more down on the farm anyway.

So now you know some of my common uses for my truck. I don't think the Tundra would be much help for me. Although I don't do this kind of work with my truck often, it DOES have to be capable of it for times like this and I don't think the Tundra is suited for the job. I can't see paying more money for something less capable.
    Its like an SUV. The SUV's look good and would be nice to have, but are more useful for carrying passengers than going offroad or providing a payload need and cost rediculous prices. Thats how I see the Tundra. Toyota may come out with something of real competition soon, but not yet in my opinion.

Later.
  • MOS: 95B (Military Police)
    US Army

Thank you for doing your part in the military Zbad. I also appreciate what you said Artp. I didn't mean anything bad by it. I was upset by the fact that Zbad does some name calling about someone he doesn't know, i.e. "yuppie". Making assumptions about someone based on what they drive.

I don't hate the Chevy Truck. My father-in-law owns 2 of them and a Corvette. Both trucks have been in the shop more times than I can remember. Fuel pump problem being one of them. He is a diesel mechanic and after exhausting his warranty efforts at the dealership worked on it himself. I haven't heard anymore about it since I am over in another country.

My Frontier is my vehicle of choice. When I get home I will have to somehow persuade my wife to give it up. Maybe I will buy her a Honda Civic.

Enjoy the ride!
  • ...have a 1993.5 nissan truck, is there any trade in difference from the 1993? The changes are few, but it is newer than the '93. By the way, it's been a great truck with 100K on the ode. just need a bigger truck now.
  • rrichfrrichf Posts: 212
    Wow, we are a emotional bunch here, aren't we?

A few points.
    Consumer Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports really strives to be unbiased. Usually they are very good at it. In the area of motor vehicles they are severely lacking because of two factors. First, CU is still influenced by the attitude of a past director, Mr. Nader. Second, CU is headquartered in the New York city area. I won't say anything about Mr. Nader other than I disagree.

On the second issue, the view of 'the suitability for purpose' of a motor vehicle is vastly different in New York City than Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles or where ever. There's nothing wrong with the CU opinion of motor vehicles, it's just that their view isn't realistic when applied to other areas of the country.

Maybe what CU says is appropriate for New York City but it sure doesn't sell soap in Los Angeles.

As far as a 'quality' measurement for motor vehicles, I only know of two unbiased methods.

The first is to rent a car with 20,000 miles on the odo from any of the major rental companies. The condition of that vehicle is going to approximate what the same type of vehicle that you own will be at 80,000 miles. Some are good, some are bad and some are worse.

The second method is to observe the side of the highway during the summer driving season. The is especially true on the long grades like Donner Summit, Grapevine, Tejon Pass, Einsenhower Tunnel, etc. Watch and see what is dead on the side of the road. Is it Detroit, Japan, Korea or Germany? Maybe it's not a perfect system, but actions speak louder than words. I think that you'll be very surprised!

Rich
  • I said something similar to what you said in the last paragraph but you said it better. Thanks Rich.

I've got four more words for the rest of you out there.

NISSAN: Enjoy the ride!
    Although intelligent comment I have to disagree with you. Especially your last paragraph which is extremely unscientific.

In my geographic local I see mostly GM and Dodge trucks on the side of the road, but GM is market share king here. What does seeing a stranded GM really say? Probably that they sell a lot.

Second, the information from CR that I based my opinion on was "reliability history". The RH is just a statistic stating how many owners (percent) reported problems with a particular vehicle. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. I too would agree that that CR OPINION and RECOMMENDATION are weak.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Rentals are usually beat to hell and lack real care. To make an evaluation of a vehicle by renting one of the same type is not the way to go. I am living proof of this. When I mention I own a Contour, everyone immediatly thinks of the 4cyl auto at the rental agency. Mine looks, drives, handles, accelerates nothing like the ones at the rental agency. I have a V6 SE 5spd absolutly loaded with leather, traction control, CD, alarm... and so on..
    It's still a Contour.
    Yeah, but it's still not a "full size" truck.
    The Tundra can do any of things that you do with your "full size" lemon.
  • volfyvolfy Posts: 274
    Zbad: "There is part of your problem. Are you so mechanically inept that you can't even change your own oil. If you can't change your own oil, then you definitely fall into the catagory of those that buy a Nissan pickup...yuppies and women."

You just stepped on a lot of toes there, pal. There are a whole lot of Nissan truck drivers, yuppies and women included, whose automotive knowledge and experience as well other areas of expertise will put you 90 miles out to shame.

Debate all you want, but grind your axe somewhere else.
    Now you are dreaming. WIthout a true locker, you can't go through the mud pits I went through a few weeks ago while deer hunting.

You can't tow over 5,000 lbs easily.

You can't put three "adult" passengers in your back seat comfortably. Not to mention the straight up and down backrests on the ext cab seat

You can't put almost a full cord of firewood in your "much shallower" bed that I can.

You can't ride in the comfort of lumbar. Oops. They don't make a lumbar seat for the Tindra.

You can't listen to a "quality" stereo system in your Tindra. Oops. The "3 in 1" radio sounds like a zenith transistor do it yourself "kit" radio.

You can't have the standard or even the optional equipment that my Silverado has. Not even a choice in suspensions, which the Silverado has "4" suspension options.

If you even keep it long enough to claim the so called reliability advantage you keep touting, you better hope that you DONT have to repair anything, because the nipper parts will put you into bankruptcy at more than 3X the cost of the domestic truck parts.

Actually, since my truck is truly a "full size" truck, it could not be a lemon, that would be your Tindra. Mine would be a grapefruit only with lots and lots of sugar on it, because my truck is "sweet".

You CAN say that you pissed away what could be American profits to a country that already owns more than 70% of America's banking institutions from all the gov't tax breaks and handouts that the ungrateful bastages have gotten.

AAAAAH, over 10k miles on my Silverado. No problems and loving it more and more as I see all the midget sized Tindra's on the road.

"Oh what a feeling" to want more from a supposed full sized truck.

That's Paul Harvey. Good day.
    "Now you are dreaming. WIthout a true locker, you
    can't go through the mud pits I went through a few
    weeks ago while deer hunting."

Not true, I have 4wd. Deflated tires work well too. Though your locker may be slightly more efficient than my 4wd, it's not substantial. Many Jeep Wranglers (world renoun 4wd vehicles) don't have lockers, if they do, they're aftermarket.

"You can't tow over 5,000 lbs easily."

I don't need to tow over 5k, from the uses you mentioned, you don't either.

"You can't put three "adult" passengers in your
    back seat comfortably."

Neither can you unless you have a crew cab, which I know you don't. Had I wanted a car load of passengers I'd have bought a Ford crew cab.

"You can't put almost a full cord of firewood in
    your "much shallower" bed that I can."

You're right, mine can carry slightly less in the cargo bed. I could easily get a utility trailer, but that would put my reliabilty on a par with your GM. BTW the shallower bed is how the Tundra gets it great ground clearance.

"You can't ride in the comfort of lumbar. Oops.
    They don't make a lumbar seat for the Tindra."

My back is sensitive to soft seats without support, my Tundra is comfortable. Didn't I read there are problems with the seats in GM trucks? Problems with the seats has to "take the cake", how could GM make unreliable seats?

"You can't listen to a "quality" stereo system in
    your Tindra. Oops. The "3 in 1" radio sounds like a zenith transistor do it yourself "kit" radio."

I'm very please with the quality of the stereo, rich bass and wide spectrum. Without going to an after-market system it rates very high. Since you're a Paul Harvey fan, you too must listen to lots of AM radio, do you really care about sound quality.

"You can't have the standard or even the optional
    equipment that my Silverado has. Not even a choice in suspensions, which the Silverado has "4"
    suspension options."

You have a slight point. Which of your options do you think I NEED? The computer that tells when to change the oil? I am very happy with my Tundra suspension. I think it can out handle any of the four suspensions GM offers.

"If you even keep it long enough to claim the so
    called reliability advantage you keep touting, you
    better hope that you DONT have to repair anything,
    because the nipper parts will put you into
    bankruptcy at more than 3X the cost of the domestic truck parts."

You're correct, however the reason for buying the Tundra to begin with is Toyota's reliability record. Much fewer mechanical problems than GM. It doesn't cost a dime to fix a truck that isn't broken.

"Actually, since my truck is truly a "full size"
    truck, it could not be a lemon, that would be your
    Tindra. Mine would be a grapefruit only with lots
    and lots of sugar on it, because my truck is
    "sweet"."

We'll see if your opinion changes at the 120,000 mile mark. By the way, I read the above statement as... Fullsize = not a lemon... anything else = lemon. Read it again, it makes no sense.

Another interpretation... A grapefruit = almost a lemon. Lots and lots of sugar to make it sweet = poor lots and lots of money in it to make it run!

"You CAN say that you pissed away what could be
    American profits to a country that already owns
    more than 70% of America's banking institutions
    from all the gov't tax breaks and handouts that the ungrateful bastages have gotten."

I would mostly agree with your statement, however there are many things wrong with the philosophy:

1) It's what our beloved government does that creates the majority of the trade defecit problems.

2) Can you really say that GM doesn't use Mexican and Canadian labor and materials. That great NAFTA treater really spoiled things.

3) Our governement GIVES away more in foreign aid than... than... you know. It's a helluv alot.

4) Many of your normal household products are foreign. Please don't call me trator, unless you'd like to be called hypocryt.

5) My national loyalty is weaker than the grudge formed from bad product engineering. Intead of fixing what they have, GM just changes things and adds features. Why should I blow my hard earned money on a company who has way more middle and upper managers than they should, that do very little, and has underpaid design engineers? I realize no company is perfect, but GM is one of the worlds most poorly rated companies regarding efficiancy and agility.

6) I don't like what Japan did during the war either. But I'm not going to fault their decendants. I'm German, does that make a Nazi? If I were somehow related to Hitler, would you fault me?

"AAAAAH, over 10k miles on my Silverado. No
    problems and loving it more and more as I see all
    the midget sized Tindra's on the road."

Good luck to you in the future. You're playing a numbers game, I believe you have more "jokers" in your deck than I do.

""Oh what a feeling" to want more from a supposed
    full sized truck."

Is that the best you could do?
  • rrichfrrichf Posts: 212
    zbad,
    You're right, the Nissan doesn't meet your needs. If you feel the need to trash talk, please go to rec.alt.cars.nissan.haters to vent your tirades as they are wearing a bit thin here.

Vince,
    You're right about the difference between rental cars with minimal equipment and indifferent maintenance. That was my point, rental cars age 4 times as fast as our vehicles. But most importantly, people like me rent those cars. :)

Rich
    I just wish the hype over the Tundra would stop. All the facts point to this truck NOT being a full size. The overall size/interior volume is smaller than the Ford/Chevy/Dodge. The Tundra is more comparable to the Dodge Dakota. Anyone who buys a Tundra is wanting to run with the big boys, but can't quiet get there. Ford/Dodge/Chevy offer more engine options, axles, cabs, options, than Toyota every will. Toyota failed once again at trying to enter a market that Ford/GM/Dodge will dominate forever.
  • volfyvolfy Posts: 274
    I agree with you that absolute size-wize, the Tundra is not as big as the domestics. But your saying all Tundra buyers want to run with the big boys is a little bit or a stretch. Not everyone is into the "mine is bigger than yours" rat race. There are still a lot of folks out there that are just looking for a decent truck to do the job - whether it be big, small, fat, or ugly. As long as it gets the job done with minimum hassle, that's all that matters.

If somebody makes a Frontier-size truck that can take a 4x8 flat between the wheel wells and haul 2000lbs and tow 5000lbs, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. The next bigger truck that can do that, without going over my garage dimensions, gets my next truck buy. (Sorry for sounding like Price-Is-Right) So far, the Tundra is that truck. I'm not into import vs domestic flag waving and I could care less whose badge is on the hood. If one the Big Three makes one that fits my target profile and passes my critical judgment, I'll buy. Just my $0.02.
  • i think "zbad" is just a little inscure with himself so he needs the "big" truck to feel better.he's probably one of those who puts
    BADZ71 on his license plate!
    katsohis, kind of like you need that "TRD" sticker on the side of your new Tacoma? The TRD is a marketing gimmick you just paid for. I am an offroad/outdoors type of person and know you will never take that pretty truck into the areas your locker should be used for.
    I have a Ford Ranger that costed me 3K less option for option than a "TRD" Tacoma. My Ranger has a 3.73 rearend with a limited slip rear axle. I have a 4.0 5spd with 31" tires, and a few mods under $500. I have already went head to head with a guy at work who swore his TRD would just stomp my Ranger. Surprise!, I was able to climb, trail, haul anything he could. Don't get too over confident in your truck.
  • Very well said. These Yoda dudes are good for a laugh. LOL!
  • honestly i don't even care about off-road performance......thats not the reason for buying this truck.the only reason i got the trd option is for the ride.i had a 97 for three years with the conventional suspension and after driving a trd i was sold!why do you guys have to bash so much?it's a toyota and it just speaks for its self...........nice vehicle,well put together and an engine that doesn't sound like a semi!
  • Let's go over to the Chevy Truck section and trash talk those trucks. Yeah right! I got better things to do like looking for another Nissan Frontier or maybe a Toyota pickup to buy.

You see my wife intends to keep my Frontier unless I get her a sport's car. I know better than that. I'll let her drive the truck and get myself a CrewCab Frontier or maybe an Xterra.

Enjoy the ride.
This discussion has been closed.