Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rxman01rxman01 Member Posts: 4
    Lesson learned on the duplicate post thing. Sorry to all...

Well, I found Van Bortel and they are 8-10 hours away from me. I have learned New York is a very large state, and they are clear across the state from Long Island. A

Actually, you can't get too much further from me and still be in NY State. But it is good to have them as a reference point. Perhaps I can call them, they may give a quote on the phone.

Anyway, thank you for the info...

Here is a problem, all ideas/ comments from all you Subies requested...

I have a down payment on the above (overpriced) LL Bean Forester.

What is the legality/ feasibility of backing out of the deal? I have several thousand dollar check written on Saturday, I dated it Mon 2/28, the day the promotion was over...

Is it too late to renegotiate the price?

By the way, is the promotion renewed for March?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • rxman01rxman01 Member Posts: 4
    Well, Subies, the rebate IS renewed for March and I got a good deal on a Red LL Bean. I take delivery on Monday.

I was wondering about options and aftermarket stuff...

Anyone have ideas on whether or not the Rear Bumper Cover is a worthwhile add-on? and is it worth the dealer price or should I buy one afterward and install myself?

ditto on the Brush Guard and Rear Differential Protector?

I see them at good prices at 1st subaru and allsubaru.com I wonder if they are good deals or too much hassle for the bebnefits gained?

Thanks

Rx
  • skratskrat Member Posts: 2
    I got my L.L. Bean 05 last week and absolutely love it! I traded in my 96 Mits Eclipse RS after driving it for 8 years. I ended up driving out to Clearwater (Fitz Auto Mall) to get my Subie since there were only 2 Beans to choose from in all of Orlando, and neither was the color I wanted (woodland green). Fitz had the best price and there was no haggling and no pressure. My husband said it's the easiest car purchase he's ever seen. I highly recommend Fitz Mall. I also recommend getting an appraisal on your trade at Carmax first. Fitz offered me more than Carmax sight-unseen since I had gotten an appraisal from Carmax. I also recommend trying to get financing through a credit union. They had the best interest rate and were flexible with payment options. Sometimes if you pay your monthly payment every two weeks instead of monthly you can knock down the original loan term by a few months along with the monthly payment.

In a nutshell I paid $24,024 rebate included, excluding tax, tag, title. That price included the following extras:
    wheel locks
    cargo tray
    custom tailpipe cover
    auto dim mirror/homelink
    Popular equip. group 3a (armrest extension,rear net)
    amplifier/subwoofer

Total MSRP was $27,660, destination included.

I have driven in the rain several times with my Bean and it handles great! I have also used the seatwarmers which is a nice treat for the morning commute. I haven't missed my stick-shift since driving the Bean. This is my first, brand new car! No regrets :)

I'm getting the windows tinted today and picking up a rear bumper cover.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I couldn't do without the bumper cover as it protects the bumper from my dog's claws when he jumps in and out (not necessarily as effective with all dogs). It also protects the bumper when loading heavy/bulky objects (think Home Depot runs).

IMO the "brush guard" is purely cosmetic and looks silly but then I think that everytime I see a brush guard on any SUV in an urban/sububan setting.

The rear diffy protector might come in handy if you'll be going any futher off-road than where a gravel road will take you.

If you include the optional equipment as part of the total vehicle price, you can usually get invoice price on most options and if so, that will be your best deal.

-Frank
  • dognutdognut Member Posts: 8
    Planning on waiting for the updated 06 this summer. Stopped by a dealer Sun. and saw a 05 LLBean on the lot. Decided to give it a ride. MSRP is $27,000. No extras added. Manager wants to unload and will sell it to me for $22,450. What to do, what to do?????????? Isn't this deal to good to pass up? Or should I wait for what I would really love--a new 06? How much more do you think this would end up costing me? When do you think they will appear on the lots?
    Thanks for your opinions.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Usually a new model year will cost about $1500 extra for a while, definitely past the time the current year models are gone.

Go for the bargain, the changes seem minor.

-juice
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    The Subaru web site shows that LL Bean vehicles have a Starting Price more than $32K. How is this one $27K and seling for $22.5K?

I would love to buy one for under $25K.

Jim
    $32k must be an Outback LL Bean, that's an H6 engine and a different vehicle entirely. They sell for close to $30k.

$27k is probably the MSRP for the Forester LL Bean, loaded up. Subtract rebates and go to invoice-level prices and you might get to $22.5k I guess.

-juice
  • kesserendrelkesserendrel Member Posts: 3
    Dewey Griffin Subaru in Bellingham, WA gave me this quote:

$20,231.15 (including rebate) for a manual tranny 2005 Forester X pretty much loaded: premium speakers, tweeters, subwoofer/amplifier, cd changer, differential protector, armrest extension, crossbars, side cargo nets, tow hitch, all-weather mats, and cargo tray.

I feel like this is a good quote, provided they treat me right on my trade. Am I correct?
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    My bad. Should read the title of the thread.
    Went to another dealer and got the exact same quote. Now I think I'll wait a month or two and see how far they come down just before the 06 appears! Any guesses if they drop the price another thousand?
    A lot depends on how many are left on the lot. If there's only a couple then I wouldn't count on it. Also, once they sell that's it, so if you've got your eye on I'd go ahead and get it.

-Frank
    Checked the local dealer and that's right on target, I doubt you'll do significatly better than that.

-juice
  • forestercurtforestercurt Member Posts: 7
    Yes that is a good deal. I get any Sub at Invoice due to VIP Pricing. The X model is the loss leader model for dealers which means they can sell them below invoice sometimes. I got an 05 X with Auto and 500-600 worth of extra options that they usually comes with the armrest/muffler ect for 19.2K. The X has rear drums and no posi in the back as the XS has, the auto climate control on the XS/XT seems to be problematic so I don't miss that. I like the lower body sections NOT being painted, easy cleanup and no damage worries. The X is also lighter than the other models and gets better gas mileage. I would have liked 4 wheel disc brakes but for commuter car the X rocks. The turbo is way underrated on HP it has about the same as the Legacy GT=250HP not 210 but the mileage is way low but performance is unbelievable at 5.3 to 60, that spanks most sports cars, if you can live with the crappy gas mileage get an XT.
  • elf1972elf1972 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Subaru Forester X today with auto dimming mirror/compass, splash guards, cargo bin, tail pipe cover and rubber floor mats in Regal Blue. I got out the door at $21K and feel pretty good with the price I got - about $300 under invoice before the rebate, tax, tags and freight. Should I be feeling okay about this deal?

I'd been researching for about a month and was pretty much set on the Forester, then fell in love after the test drive this morning. I'm in Maryland and went to Herb Gordon Subaru. They were definitely willing to work with me - especially on my trade in ('01 Sunfire).

I'm loving the car - it's so fun to drive. Almost hoping for one last snowfall before Spring to try out the AWD!
  • adnil1adnil1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. This is my first post on Edmunds and my first time buying a Subaru. I am inexperienced with the whole bargaining thing and could use some advice. I have an offer from a dealer in Maryland for a Forester X, manual 5-spd, in the light silver, with NO added options for $19,300 out the door-total,final price including tax and tags (we are 5% sales tax here, about $70 for tags). Is this a good deal? No other dealer I have called will match or beat it, but after reading edmunds and about dealer hold back I wonder how much he is really making off me? I am supposed to go in and sign Monday and I don't know if I should take the offer or keep looking. I am also concerned about resale for a manual. Any input appreciated! Thanks.
    First off, it's easier to compare apples to apples if you don't include in the total the tax, tags etc. Assuming you don't have a trade-in (which affects how much tax you owe), I'd say that's a very good deal. Not being able to find another dealer willing to beat it is also a good sign. It appears that the dealer is selling it to you pretty much at invoice which is as low as you can normally expect him to go. Yes there's a holdback involved but you have to allow the dealer to make a few hundred in profit or he won't be in business very long.

Many buyers today (myself included), worry about getting the best deal possible and therefore have a tendency to try and squeeze every last possible dollar out of the dealer, sometimes to the point of obsession. Unfortunately, you can quickly reach the point of diminishing returns where the time spent worrying and negotiating isn’t worth the potential few extra dollars you might save. So if this dealership has treated you fairly and bargained in good faith, I would recommend you accept his offer and sleep well knowing you got a great deal.

-Frank
    From the previous post, it might appear that you paid significantly more for your Forester but that's not necessarily true. The dealer can either give you a great deal on the new vehicle or on your trade-in but never both. So if you got a good deal on your trade then you probably did alright. You certainly got a much better deal than the poor owners (like me) who bought their Foresters when there wasn't a rebate!

-Frank
    To all the new Forester owners!!! Now you know firsthand why Consumer Reports picked the Forester as the Best Overall Small SUV!

-Frank
    elf: I think you did fine, congrats. Enjoy your Subie.

adnil: your price is also fine.

I cross shopped fitzmall.com (Rockville and Gaithersburg) and they quote $18,485, add $99 processing, $70 for tags, and then 5% tax and I get to $19,586.

You're doing almost $300 better, so go for it.

-juice
    I live in New England. There are hundreds of XS and LL Beans around the dealers. There are even some 2004 XTs still available. I can choose from many dealers in the area. I will wait until April to see what the rebates are then!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    you guys are getting smoking deals. My '03 XS MT(new model year) with an $800 extended warranty was $22.8 before taxes. It had some added features (armrest, air filtration, tweeters, rear bumper, rubber mats, chrome exhaust) but if 2 years later the price is $1,000 less I would say these are bargains.

John
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Local dealer will do Invoice minus $1700 rebate over the phone. I see some people get deals below invoice and that the X is a loss leader. Is there a good chance if I actually go to the dealer in person he will drop a few hundred below invoice?

The Forester is one of those rare cars I just can't find anything negative about - everybody seems to love theirs!

Good to know about the climate control being problematic. I would like 4 wheel disc brakes and heated seats, but I'm not sure it's worth another $1800 over the X model.
    yep, they are great cars.

Wait til you see the slotted "umbrella" storage in the back. Works great for a 24" chain pipe wrench that doesn't fit in my tool box.

Last tank of gas 28.4 mpg.

John
    Fits my torque wrench, too. :-)

-juice
    its more than heated seats and 4 wheel discs. The alloys are super! easy to clean, and they don't break ur back during rotation. The 6 cd/cassette is useful.

I didn't want the package either at the time, but I have greatly enjoyed the heated seats so it was money well spent IMO. Resale value should be $500 to $1,000 more for the XS.

John
  • groovinpinkygroovinpinky Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I am planning to buy my first Subaru next weekend. I feel confident I have done my research on the cost, and am looking forward to zooming around in a Forester with my dog. However, looking through these posts I am noticing not many individuals from the South, or at least I have seen no mention. Could someone help with suggestion of a fair dealer in the SE region? Preferrably, TN., MS., or LA. Thanks!
    My suggestion, go to Fitzmall and find a Forester equipped the way you like and print off their price (Edmunds TMV is also a valuable source). Then use Subaru's dealer locator to find one near you. Go to the dealer and ask if they will meet the Fitzmall price (or at least come relatively close). If so, I'd say you're getting a good deal. FYI, there's a couple of good dealerships in Atlanta if you can't find one locally to give you a decent deal.

-Frank
    No more cassette actually, it's 6CD only now.

-juice
  • texadillotexadillo Member Posts: 3
    bought my new 04 xt in june of last year for 22500, cd player etc. what a car... haven't had so much fun since my 65 gto when i was in high school. have only put 9000 thousand miles on it but boy were they fun. i love blowing the youngsters away in their mustangs, then rolling down my tinted windows to reveal a 53 year old greying hippie saying "not bad for a 4 cly. stationwagon" with a smile and a smirk. and now that i found a performance pack i'm going to try for the 345 hp option. up in smoke is going to take on a new meaning.......HOUSTONE, TEXAS
  • ltrutterltrutter Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the Forester X & it appears to be a winner.

Looks like the incentive will expire at the end of this month(March). Does anyone know if it will be offered again in April?

Also, our insurance company gave us a quote of $20 per year discount if we include the anti-theft system in it. I certainly hope it doesn't mean that the Forester gets stolen often, does it? If I want that option, can the dealer install it or does a dealer have to locate a vehicle with that option installed?

-Larry
  • saqsaq Member Posts: 3
    Hi Peakpro,

I am about to purchase a manual 2005 XT premium.

Will you please provide the NAME of the dealership and the CITY in NJ where they are located?

I think so far you quote in Jan for $23, 499 (including the rebate) is one I want to look into.

Please, please reply. Thanks a million.

Saq

Also, if anyone else has found similar rates, I would sure be interested in know the dealership NAME and the City, state where it's located.
    Thank you!
    Come to Houston, Tex. Gillman will cut you a better deal. Subaru isn't a big seller here so they make incredible deals. Try Gillmans at the corner of IH 59 and Belteay 8. Might be worth the 300 doolar flight to save a thousand or so.
    sorry for the typos, sticking keys and a brain that works faster than my fingers.
    No guarantees but the rebates will probably continue until they've sold all the 05s.

$20 per year isn't much of a discount but fitting since Subarus are one of the least stolen brands. Yes the dealer can install the anti-theft system but will probably want to charge you and arm & leg for it. Others have suggested that you can get a better after-market system installed for less.

-Frank
    Subaru just debuted the 06 Forester at NY, so it's doubtful incentives will disappear. They have to sell the remaining 05s before the new-look 06s hit the lots.

The problem will be selection, however. If you are picky about color, I'd hurry.

-juice
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    have a link where we can see a picture of the '06
    any engine upgrades?
  • ltrutterltrutter Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I thought so too. If the rebates is gone, oh well I took a chance - I just didn't want to be rushed into buying. 2006 model looked interesting but the '05 is just fine unless the '06 model mpg is increased substantially over the '05 model's mpg. I guess it is too new for that information to be available.

Thanks to all who replied on this thread!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might want to have a look at this discussion:
    Credit Scores and Vehicle Financing
    before finalizing the deal!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Click here.

Of note, base engines get 173hp, turbos 230hp, and they changed the center console and added turn signals in the side mirrors. Plus the cosmetic stuff, and about a 1/2" lift in the suspension.

-juice
  • girlwhogolfsgirlwhogolfs Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my Crystal Grey XT Premium Auto for are you ready boys... $23,874. That included the 2000 bucks from Subaru. Per the dealer, this was a "loser" car. Included in the price was the all weather floor mats, rubber trunk mat, the splash guards, the center armrest extension and the bumper guard. I saved enough to do some add ons such as extended warranty. I got lucky because it didn't snow much here this year.
    Happy Driving!
    Girlwhogolfs
  • anusakanusak Member Posts: 3
    Final Price incl rebate: $23,500

All in all, it was a good experience. Did my bargaining through email and calls. About a weeks worth of back and forth. Sour taste was when they made me fill out a credit application even though I was not applying for credit. Because "they wanted to make sure they could take a cheque from me"

I know that was a lie and feel I should have walked out at that point...but I didn't! Next time, I'll know better! (Each time I go through a dealer experience, I learn some more!)
    This will also affect my rating on the customer sat survey, I'll tell you that!

This forum helped me a lot to see what is a fair price to negotiate. Thanks to you all!
    I'm calling 9-1-1, you're robbing them! LOL

-juice
  • 1stsubie11stsubie1 Member Posts: 4
    2005 XT Premium--$24,642 (before taxes--includes $1750 rebate)

Includes:
    Security System
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    Cargo Tray
    Rear Bumber Cover
  • ndigiorgiondigiorgio Member Posts: 4
    Hi All:

I managed to get the Subie dealer down to $22,995 for an XS LLBean with options-- the same options as girlwhogolfs---we're supposed to sign papers tomorrow. I tallied the options with the car price, cash-back, and destination charge and the price seems to cut a little into the dealer holdback. Should we go thru with it? Of course I'm getting the "buy by the end of the month" speech. I'm assuming that the cashback will be extended again and that this is a deal I will still be able to get after the 1st. Problem is, I'm a little gun-shy. What do you all think?
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Yu are doing better than I did. I got 22400 a few weeks ago for an LLBEAN in the DC area.
    The dealer's gotta feed his kids. :-)

Holdback is, what, 2%? That's not enough to cover their costs, I think. They'll probably eat a small loss and try to make it up on service or something.

Go for it, deal sounds great.

-juice
  • ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    got dealer down to 22,400 after rebates. Could not pull trigger due to lack of actual vehicle on the lot. Mistake or not? Could not sign deal for something I can't kick the tires on ya know...
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    just had to comment on your experience and customer rating coming up.

when I see the phoney credit application being pushed in front of me and know the paint sealer / gap insurance / seat sealer coming on, I simply tell them that if they want a good grade on the customer service report then skip all the bullcrap and get me the keys as soon as possible.

it works!
  • ndigiorgiondigiorgio Member Posts: 4
    Uh uh... we fillled one out even though we did an "either or" contract. Why do they have us fill it out? Is it some kind of scam? Our $22,295 beauty is in the driveway.And I looooove it. It even came with a subwoofer which I wasn't aware of. I want to go and sleep in the driveway under the moonroof, LOL.

One other issue--- with the LL Bean ---you're supposed to get a "security system" . No such thing on our car. Only keyless entry. Do they consider that to be a "security system" ? Help!