Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd want to see it before I signed, as well.

-juice
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    dealers claim that if your funds don't clear they will use your credit and issue a loan as a back up. It's semi legit when you consider people pass bad checks all the time. I think a large part of it is to get you to invest time and effort to help avoid having you walk. Some might call it "baking" a customer. Many dealers have a strategy of just wearing you down to where you don't want to start the process all over again. They'll walk away from the sales cubicle and leave you there till you emotionally buy the car.

I did advertising for car dealers for a couple years and saw this from the other side of the one way mirrors in the dealer office and I don't think much has changed over the past 20 years. It's done at MBZ to Honda - they all do it.
  • 1stsubie11stsubie1 Member Posts: 4
    went ahead and closed the deal (which also included a VCP card which gives 6 free oil changes and a 10% discount off parts? or something--- although it does have a warranty the 6 free oil changes isn't bad)

2005 XT Premium--$24,642 (before taxes--includes $1750 rebate)

Includes:
    Security System
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    Cargo Tray
    Rear Bumber Cover
  • ndigiorgiondigiorgio Member Posts: 4
    We do have an alarm---the salesman was wrong. All in all great buying experience at Diablo Subaru of Walnut Creek. I was surprised at how straight they were. They only tried to sell the extended warranty and wax seal process (don't know what it's called.) Thanks to the consumer reports auto pricing service I knew what the dealer holdback was and was able to gauge how low the dealer was willing to go. The process was fairly painless and I am in loooove with my new XS LL Bean edition.
  • anusakanusak Member Posts: 3
    I definitely know that I had a right NOT to fill out the credit app - and their explanation of needing to know my financial history before being able to accept my cheque was bogus. But you're right - I was emotionally "bought" already - didn't want to have to come back with a certified cheque or continue shopping - it'd been a long road to where i was - and for a good price, one "leettle credit check" didn't seem so bad after all that arguing about my not filling it out.

I'll definitely mark them down as a result though, on the survey. I don't like those types of tactics. :mad:

Lets just spread the word to others that its bogus and unnecessary and to come prepared with a certified cheque to avoid all that rubbish - lets hear the bogus dealer try to justify the application then!
  • anusakanusak Member Posts: 3
    Its definitely a scam in my opinion - also documented on a few other sites as something to look out for! I think its usually used to sell you some financing. They couldn't have sold me a piece of lint at that point!

Make sure to mark them down for it in the survey and spread the word!
  • pichula99pichula99 Member Posts: 14
    I'm surprised to see that the rollover rating for the 2004 Honda Pilot is only 15%. How can this be the same as the Subaru Outback, which is a station wagon. I was considering the Outback because I was assuming it had a smaller chance to rollover than a SUV..

My other favorite was the Subaru Forester, but the rollover rating is even higher (16%).

You can check these numbers at the government web page:

http://www.safercar.gov/RollRatings.cfm

I feel a little bit deceived, because the salesperson I visited here at the Fields Erthel dealer here in Cincinnati told me with great pride that the Outback had a lower chance to rollover than SUVs.

Maybe somebody will be able to explain me these rating numbers.

Thanks,
    Pablo
    I'm appending a response I got from the Honda Pilot message board, in case you're interested:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -------------------
    You have to take the NHTSA rollover ratings with a grain of salt. There are two components to the test: a dynamic test that actually tests a moving vehicle, but the score is only pass/fail, and a purely static measurement of the height of the center of gravity which produces those percentages.

In the dynamic test, the vehicle is put through some maneuvers to see if it will tip its swheels. The test is done at specific speeds and is a pass/fail, based on whether the vehicle tips or not. It isn't done at progressively higher speeds to see if one vehicle is more likely to tip sooner than the other.

In the static test, the height of the center of gravity is measured versus the width of the vehicle's track. From this, the percentage probability of rollover is computed.

The Pilot benefits from having a very wide track, which does help stability and, on paper, helps reduce rollovers. I believe the Outback suffers because it has even higher ground clearance than the Pilot and is significantly narrower.

The problem with the NHTSA test is that with just a pass/fail test with a moving vehicle, it doesn't factor in enough of vehicle dynamics. E.g. in the pass/fail maneuver, one vehicle could well have been precariously close to tipping but just made it, while the other vehicle was rock-solid and could have been going 20 mph faster without a tip.

Nevertheless, the Pilot and its MDX brother both do very well in these tests.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, this is way off-topic for the Forester pricing discussion. Please visit our SUVs board to continue talking about rollover ratings.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

That info was useless the minute it was published. They evaluated a 2004 Outback and by that time the completely new 2005 models had arrived.

2005s have a wider track and more mass, both help, and more clearance, which hurts the score. So it really needs to be re-tested.

Funny thing is the 2004 model was a car, so it rated poorly in that class. But when the 2005 gets rated as a truck it'll actually be among the best. It's all relative.

-juice
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Again, please take any additional comments about rollover ratings to the SUV board referenced above. Any further posts on the topic will be deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    ateixeira,

You're right, I checked the dimensions for 2005 and they are different, the car is wider. Sorry for my ignorance but could you tell me what do you mean with "clearance"?And also, does the track refers to the separation of the wheels?
    Thank you,
    Pichula
  • girlwhogolfsgirlwhogolfs Member Posts: 18
    MIne was the turbo....go for the turbo!
    Track is the distance between the center of the left and right wheel on each axle. Wider is generally better, and the 2005s are wider at the front and rear axle.

Clearance refers to how much space between the ground and the undercarriage. 2005 Outbacks have more, i.e. they got a slight lift. For rollovers that's bad, but they mounted the engine lower and use aluminum for the hood and roof rails to compensate.

Putting lighter materials up high lowers the center of gravity compared to the 2004s. But it costs more.

That's also one of the reasons the prices paid are a little higher for 2005. Does that bring this back on topic? :)

-juice
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Barely.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fdr1371fdr1371 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone. First time Subi shopping. Just got a quote from a dealer in MN for a 2005 Forester XS (manual transmission).

This is what I got regarding the XS trim: "monotone exterior paint, power windows, power locks, power driver's seat, & power mirrors, abs, all wheel drive, cruise, tilt, air, am/fm/6 disc cd changer/radio, auto climate control, air filtration system, dual side & front airbags, cargo cover, fog lights, carpeted floor mats, alloy wheels, upholstery upgrade, all weather package (includes heated seats, heated outside mirrors, & windshield wiper de-icer), & limited slip rear differential. This vehicle also has the following options: cargo tray, bumper cover, and splash guards."

$22,243 before $1,500 cash-back. I would assume since the vehicle is financed - that negates the cash-back. Probably before tax and licenses I suppose?

So that looks like about $23,700 after those little gems?

Can anybody tell me if this is a decent deal? No mention of trade in yet.

Thanks to anyone and everyone.

Dan
  • jbrodjbrod Member Posts: 1
    Just bought for 17,700 before ttl with no options whatsoever. How's that?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...around here are more than 17.7k...........

How can you sleep at nite....

Those poor salesfolk, techs and support staff (not to mention the owners)....they gotta EAT........

shame....

(wish I could do as well)....where are you?

ez
  • justin3justin3 Member Posts: 1
    That is a decent price. Here is the deal I got last month, 2005 Forester XS auto, with auto dimm mirror and winter package(de-icer, heated seats and mirrors, splash guards, rear bumper cover, cargo tray). 21000 after 1750 cash-back. You may be able squeeze a little further if there are competing dealers in your area.

Justin
    That's nuts! I paid $19.2k way back in 1998. How can you get a new one with all the enhancements since then for that much less?

Crazy indeed.

-juice
  • herbv1herbv1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone used the Subaru Partners program to buy a new Subaru at a good factory price. You have to be a member of one of these organizations for a period of time - 6 mos I believe. The partners list is at: http://www.subaru.com/outdoorlife/partners.jsp

The best price I have so far from my local dealer in Eastern NC is $22,500 (before taxes).

Cheers,
    Herb
  • herbv1herbv1 Member Posts: 8
    That price was for a 2005 Forester XS with 5-speed and a sun roof (all discounts applied). I'm going to an outdoor show in Charleston SC this weekend where Subaru US is having a display. I will be asking them questions about the Partners program and the 2006 Forester
    Yes, we used the VIP program for my wife.

You basically get a car at invoice with no haggling. Plus you keep the rebates or dealer incentives.

BUT - if you look now people are beating those prices without much effort, so I wouldn't bother.

-juice
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    When will the '06 be available at dealers?

I'd bet incentives on '05s will only get better in May now that they have to clear '05's off the lots.

How tight is back seat room? Need more room than my VW Jetta, but specs look like these two cars are about the same as far as roominess.
    Should be about the same, but the Forester has more upright seating with a lot more headroom. So it feels airier.

Weakness: small door opening makes ingress/egress sort of tough.

-juice
  • susanw2susanw2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Just bought an automatic 2005 Forester base model from Natick Subaru for $18,778.00 - price included rebate and destination charge (not incl. tax and the usual misc. fees). I was quoted this price with an Internet query, and it was a little less than the price they advertised in the local paper. What I loved was the low pressure sales approach and getting EXACTLY what I asked for - none of those extra silly things like spoilers (on a station wagon? give me a break). I called around and no other dealer could match this price (and they didn't have the champagne color I was partial to), so I jumped.
    Hope this helps anyone in the area shopping around...
    Congrats. I can't believe that today prices are lower than what I paid in 1998.

Lucky ducks.

-juice
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Hi,
    I am looking to buy an XT Forester in the next 30 days and if anyone out there has experience with Colorado Subaru dealers (or New Mex), I would appreciate being steered to a dealer who is discounting.

Thanks,

Gringo1
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Being a lonely guy, I'll reply to myself.

I checked out John Elway and Shortline Subaru and Burt Subaru and they all initially are quoting high 24k for XT Manual PP.

They said the $2k rebate is effective for all of May, but the $500 marketing help from Subaru to the dealer disappeared end of April.

Looks like I'll have to go to Texas or California to match the mid to high $23K prices.

Colorado dealers so far are $1300 higher, which is still $800 more than if the $500 mktg incentive were carried over to May.

Anyone out there?

Gringo1
    We're here, just not near Colorado. :)

-juice
  • skisiskisi Member Posts: 2
    Getting a 2.5X and thinking about replacing the steel wheels with alloy and upgrading the OEM tires. Anyone have an opinion on a market for a set of new OEM steel wheels and tires?
    They can be used to mount snow tires on, but don't expect to get much for them. I think Tire Rack charges $38 for new steelies, so figure you can get maybe $25 a pop, or $100 for the full set.

-juice
  • skisiskisi Member Posts: 2
    What about the OEM tires? Any value?
    Check with the place you buy the alloys from, maybe they'll agree to give you a partial credit.

I already have 16" alloys, but if I had needed a set you'd have a buyer already.

-juice
  • aedhaedh Member Posts: 4
    Up here in Northern NJ, I just bought a Woodland Green Forester X, automatic with cargo tray and custom tailpipe cover for $19,517 (after the $1750 off) + tax, title, and their $125 doc fee (bs fee, I know... but whatever). Final OTD price was $21,020.44, financed through a credit union at 5%.

Is that a decent price?

Aedh
    Sounds good for an auto. You folks are lucky, I paid almost as much 8 years ago for a 5 speed!

-juice
    ..after mfrs rebate (curr: $1500) plus tax/license/doc this week in NoCal..............

Actually with the dealer indicating that '05 production has ceased and inventory is all downhill from now on.........................................................

Since 02, the highway mpg has improved consistently (currently: 30).....I'm wondering if the '06 will continue the upward trend. Fuel economy really appeals here in Freeport...........................best, ez
    With gas prices they way they are, it might be the Forester's primary strength.

-juice
  • callmehcallmeh Member Posts: 2
    Bought a LL Bean on Monday with Premium Sound Package 2, Armrest Extension, Hood Protector, Mirror w/ Homelink, and Tint. MSRP was a touch over $28,000. With rebate it was $24,000 (no trade). All three Houston Subaru dealers were looking at the same deal. McRee offers a free loaner and is close to my office. Also, my first tank (during break-in) gave me a surprising 30 MPG.
    ..great start...

30 MPG.

well done ...ez
  • shadowlightshadowlight Member Posts: 9
    Currently own a 98 Legacy 4 door sedan, in the market for second car and have couple of questions related to Forester. Can the back seat handle two car seats and a adult passenger (5' 6'', 140lb or so). The other questions is what are the current incentives on the 05 Forester? Looked at the Edmunds Incentive page and zip for Subaru? Saw a post earlier that has $1500 in CA? I live in NJ, so any information on the incentive in NJ would be helpfully.

Checked www.kbb.com also and Subaru had $1750 in Penn-Jersey area, but it expired on 5/2/05.

Thanks in Advance
    Would be tight, an Outback is wider so you'd fit better, but to be honest I'd even step up to a Tribeca if you did that regularly.

It will fit, but the seat belts will be hard to reach and the one in the middle won't be happy for long.

-juice
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    I got a price quoted for a XS Auto of $21086 plus tax, tag, title, fees and lemon law(?).
    Has anyone heard of this lemon law charge? Is this a good price? No options included.
    Thanks for any input! :confuse:
  • shadowlightshadowlight Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the information. Would love to take a look at tribeca, but might have to look at the minivan's and make the logical selection for the better half.

Thanks again.
    Seems silly, just consider the price that much higher. :lemon:

-juice
  • lawkimlawkim Member Posts: 2
    I have a quote in So Cal for a forester xt automatic with no options (pretty basic) at $23K with $2K rebate - the guy said he's selling at invoice price. Is this a good deal? Also, do you guys think the rebates will stay in June? I don't need the car until June, but I wasn't sure if I can still get the same discount.
    We hear about this dilemna every time this year.

Prices will only go down. So that would imply you should wait. The last left over will likely be the biggest bargain.

Selection, however, will also become scarce. If you are picky about color and options, do not wait, buy one now. I think they already stopped making the 2005s so the selection has already begun to dwindle.

-juice
    ..last year...juice has it right.

..sure prices go down.

..but ditto selection..

..a 5M/T X in Champagne Gold? No way...ez ">
  • dancer1dancer1 Member Posts: 1
    We got a price of $24,141 for a 2005 Forester XS with an automatic transmission from the local dealer in FL. Includes the destination charge. The dealer fee is $399, bringing it up to $24,540. Minus the $1,500 rebate it comes to $23,040.

Then taxes, tag transfer, trade in, have to be computed later.

We plan to visit dealer on 05/30/05 and offer to buy it for $20,000 and see what he says. If it does not come down to about $21,000, we will walk away and tell him we will shop around and/or come back at the end of June to dicker again. We will not be choosy about color. We are not in any hurry to buy.

Make sense? Any tips?
  • bug054bug054 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Forester X - manual a few weeks ago when rebates were still $1750. Had a few extras already on it, cargo mat, tweeters, tail pipe cover. We added a few more, rubber floor mats, dimming mirror and rear bumper cover. Paid $19,000 which included the rebate. No tax here in Oregon, so just $168 more to cover the license for 4 years! Hope that's helpful - great fun to drive! Love it!