Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think that would be a pretty big risk. A car with low miles means it probably sat a lot, and that's almost worse than one with high mileage that was used and taken care of.

You want the lubricants circulating, not sitting, whether it's the engine, tranny, differentials, or even the A/C. Test the A/C to see if it even works.

$12 grand it way too high regardless of the low miles. The 06s are out so that is 8 years old now!

For reference, I bought my Miata used, 8 years old, with 26k miles. I paid $7800, and the Miata cost about $25k new, probably more than that Forester. Book value was $11,400, so I got a good deal, but that Forester ought to be closer to $10-11 grand or so given the age.

And this was a car with no engine repair history, with one pervious owner that had a very short commute.

I just think the price is high.

-juice
  • mosquito1mosquito1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice. I do plan to negotiate the price down. I see you are in Brazil. AWD cars sell higher in MN because need them in snow. Especially this time of year. I am also looking at used Outbacks.
    I'm actually living in the Washington, DC area, but I'm from Brazil so I like to fly the flag. :)

-juice
  • lowrancherolowranchero Member Posts: 7
    hello all,
    i'm shoppin for a sub for xs. would like 04. have seen several in so cal for between $20k-$22k. what price should i shoot for if buying from a dealer? mileage will be under 32k.
    ps would anyone know if factory warranty standard or extended is transferable? if no, what should i be aware of when buying a warranty from dealer? thanks, dan
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    That's way too high... an 04 XS only cost about $22k new!

Factory warranties are fully transfereable as are Subaru extended warranties. If buying from a dealer, only buy one backed by Subaru (anything else isn't worth the paper it's written on).

-Frank
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Try using Autotrader to locate a deal on an XS...you should find several under $20K.
    Look for about 20% off the final price of a new model, so I'd want one for about $18k or so.

-juice
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    That would be for a plain 04 XS I purchased a 04 XS Prem Pack with leather and options MSRP was $27,010 invoice was $24,500 Purchased it for $23,500 with 1.9%. Your right he should be able to pick up a used one for 19,000 or less area depending on options package.

Matt
  • brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hi Juice....thanks for the tips but you would never guess what car we end up getting.

After looking for a new car we end up test driving a Scion xB and myself and wife were sold...$15,195 with automatic transmission and black in color. YES, we're boxed.

We would ratter by a new Forester, but the best quote a could get was around $22,000.

The black box looks funny but to tell you the truth, it's very practical. Probably they missed their age target again, myself 34 and wife 30. he..he..he. ;)

Cheers.
    They're a great value, congrats.

-juice
  • lowrancherolowranchero Member Posts: 7
    i failed to mention that the 04 xs has leather and moonroof, (seems pretty loaded). when i looked up tmv price on this site those options added close to $3k to the price. this seemed to be really high. they're nice, but for that much money i can live without them. do the prices of options depreciate at the same rate as the rest of the car? i don't know about you all but i don't dig the idea of paying a premium for a stereo that is two years old. dan
  • czuckerczucker Member Posts: 2
    Hi all -

This is a great forum. It's given me a starting point for car negotiations. I've been quoted 19,995 in LA for a Forester X - no extras. I do have a question for anyone with an X. Does it have a cigarette lighter (for the ipod)? Also has anyone been able to play their ipod in the car? I'd also like to upgrade the speakers after my purchase as well. Thanks!
    Yes, options should depreciate proportionally with the rest of the car. The exception are cheesy add-ons like "gold packages" and vinyl tops, in some cases those actually diminish resale value.

Forester has a 12-volt chargers front and rear (in the cargo). I use both all the time. I've used the rear to power a DVD player for the back seat, and the front to charge cell phones and power a NAV unit.

It has 2, but I wish it had 3!

-juice
    Juice, what about the charger in the center console?
    Indeed, that was an option for the '98 Forester. You could get two more in the center console, for a total of 4 (3 up front, 1 in the cargo area).

But mine didn't have that option, and I use that bin to store my BlackBerry.

It's OK, the NAV holds a charge for 8 full hours, so that's enough to charge the phone, and switch back.

-juice
    Yo Juice, IIRC, they added a standard center armrest 12-volt power outlet starting with the 03s :-)

-Frank
    Yeah, yeah, and you get 27mpg in your turbo. :P

-juice
    If it's any consolation, I haven't gotten over 24 mpg since going with a plus-one setup ;-(

-Frank
  • growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Don't take it so hard - you are getting a more accurate MPG reading with the plus-ones than you ever got with the standard size.

I've calibrated my FXS speedo on the Interstates to get an idea of how accurate it is. It's easy to do - look for the mileposts alongside the road, set the cruise control at 60mph (or whatever) and clock the time to takes to cover a few measured miles. I'd do 5 miles at minimum for a more accurate obeservation. Then do the math to get the true MPH reading.

For the Forester, 68MPH on the speedo is actually closer to 64.5MPH as measured by the mileposts. That's a 5% error, which means if you thought you were getting 27mpg, it's actually more like 25.6mpg

It gets worse. As your tires wear down, your speedo error goes up since they cover less ground per revolution. And you'll be deluded into thinking that your mpg is increasing. (I'm not counting the improved mpg that you can expect after the new car break-in period - this gain is for real.)

Back to the plus-one setup - as I said before, you are getting a more accurate speedo reading and MPG figure.

I'm curious - is the plus-one setup worthwhile? I may do likewise when the Yoko's on my FXS near their end of life.
    "is the plus-one setup worthwhile?"

Depends on how much value you place on handling. You have to buy new wheels, the tires will cost more and they're likely to be noisier. But yes, there's a noticeable difference in handling and it corners much tighter.

-Frank
    I wonder about that, too. My tires are oversized, yet the speeds are still reading slightly high if my NAV unit is accurate, and usually it's accurate within even very small city blocks.

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mosquito1mosquito1 Member Posts: 4
    Well, I bought the car (1999 with 21,000 miles) anyway. I think it is a sweet deal. I was able to find out that the previous owner was close to 70 and had handicap plates. He/she traded it in on a new Subaru. I have driven it 300 miles and am loving it. I might have paid a bit too much, but Subarus really hold their value here in MN, and it is rare to find a used one of any year with less than 100k mileage.
  • denali_wjldenali_wjl Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a 2006 Forester L.L.Bean,
    I have gotten a few first round quote from a few dealers
    around here, the OTD price are all above $28k. Maybe
    partly because I need financing from subaru, therefore no
    $1000 customer cash-back. So I guess my question is
    what's a reasonable price that I should look for?

I checked the edmunds TMV for Forester L.L.Bean without
    extra options and the price is $25,587 + regional
    adjustment $175 + destination charge $625 = $26387 for
    my zip code. So, should I be looking to pay this
    TMV($26387) + TTL? Or what should be a reasonable OTD
    price.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.
    Edmunds probably includes the rebate in their TMV, you need to adjust by $1000.
  • swwjswwj Member Posts: 10
    The Subaru website has the Beaner's MSRP at $26,895. By comparison, they list the XT MSRP as $27,895.

I just purchased my XT (including splash guards, auto-dim mirror, rear bumper cover and rear cargo net) in the Washington, DC area at invoice for $26,879, and around $300 less than TMV.

If you're looking at paying $26,387 I'd say your paying too much, since I got my XT for only ~$600 more.

Personally, I'd be trying to get it for about $25,900 + TTL. Good luck!
  • gbower70gbower70 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Alaska and recently purchased a 06 Forester LL Bean and used Costco in Washington State. They had a dealer in Marysville. The total cost with options was under $25,000.
    One of the guys I work with just had an inquiry from someone who has family in Alaska--what's with the prices up there? Is it really cheaper to have to ship the cars?
    A friend of mine living in King Salmon (300 air miles from Anchorage)came down to Portland last summer for vacation I met him in seattle then gave him a ride to Portland so we could visit. He purchased one then had it shipped I think it was around $2500.00 I was at the yard it was amazing how many NEW cars were to be shipped. This was the third time he had done it this way..... Matt
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    My Subaru experience. Just over a year ago my wife was looking for a car. She kind of liked the Forester. I went to the nearest Subaru dealer here Appleway Subaru of Spokane and said that were were interested in leasing a Forester. My wife and three kids came to the dealer the next day and she said that we were interested in leasing a Forester. She went out for a test drive and liked it and asked how much for a lease? The salesman then said that she had just driven a 2004 and that they are bad to lease because they have already depreciated significantly. BTW, the sticker price on the car was over $30,000. A little aggravated at this point, we said we came here, we test drove it and each of the two times that we talked to you we specifically stated that we wanted a lease. Will you please quote us a lease price for the car that was test driven. About one hour after waiting and waiting and waiting with three kids, one of whom was two, we left. The dealership was it seems not up to the mathematics of calculating a lease. I do not really know what they were up to, but they played us like idiots and we are not. Those were my last steps inside a Subaru dealership.
    Stay as far away from them as possible I went there when shopping and I can tell you they are a bunch of T^&^^T. I wont go into details my trip with them but it was the same by many who I have taled to .But if you want to be treated fair and honest go to SELECT SUBARU in Post Falls. They are a private owned dealer not Corp America like Appelway and Camp. Select in post falls sells more Subarus than both of the Spokane stores together. I live in Spokane Valley and take my forester to Select for service they will treat you fair ... Good Luck... Matt
    Is Select a new dealer? Year to date they are way behind the others you mentioned, here are the numbers of new car sales reported.

Appleway: 325
    Camp: 291
    Select: 204
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    my sister's car was totalled last week up near boston (nobody was hurt, just a dumb other driver hitting my sister's car) and she wants to buy a new forester x. i know there's $1000 rebate available, and i've checked the inventory of dealers local to her and they have tons of inventory. i'm wondering where these will trade--invoice less the rebate or can you dip into the holdback?? i'll likely do the negotiations myself to make things easier for her. thanks!!
  • gmariegmarie Member Posts: 6
    manchester sub... i had that price from several dealerships but needed a good price on the trade in. seemed like doing my homework and knowing the phrase 'out the door' really paid off.
    Invoice less rebate is fine, find out what they charge for a doc or conveyance fee and offer a bit under invoice to cover a portion of it. Most subie dealers have links on their websites where you can make an offer.
  • xtsfoxtsfo Member Posts: 20
    I saw an interesting comment a couple of dozen pages (or so) back regarding one dealer's attempt to include a Mandatory Arbitration clause (where you lose your right to sue if needed) in their sales contract paperwork. The poster reported that he was able to tell the dealer to cross the clause out or he'd walk and not complete the sale. I happen be in agreement with the poster - Mandatory Arbitration *is* Weaselling. So, I wonder: Of the people who have bought recently, how many have seen similar clauses in the sales paperwork? Has anyone else tried refusing the clause?
  • nhroadrunnernhroadrunner Member Posts: 6
    I am in need of a new car and am considering an '06 Forester XT premium with 4EAT. I was recently offered a price of $25,170 (including title/doc fee). This appears to be a decent price. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently drive a '99 Accord V6 and would love to get into another Accord but I'm tired of "ice skating" during the winter here in New England. I would like to see a stability control system (among other things!) offered on all Subaru models but I'm hopeful that the AWD system alone will set my mind at ease during my commute on the highways. The base 4-cylinder engine is quick on backroads but lacks passing power on the highway which is why I'm looking at the XT.

I appreciate any thoughts, specifically regarding the pricing. Thanks.
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Get a price from several dealers on :D line. This is a good time to buy. I got $1,550 off an original quote from my local Southern NH dealer after getting a better deal elsewhere. (If you are looking for a dealer there is an excellent one very close to the NH/MA state line.)

I have had vehicles with stability control and don't see any need for it in the Forester...it's great in the snow, ice and rain.

I'm surprised you feel the base engine lacks passing power. I've done great passing on the highway and even on hills. Plus I'm getting almost 30MPG!

Good luck
    That's the cheapest XT Auto I could find at fitzmall.com, so run and buy that before they change their minds. ;)

-juice
  • xtsfoxtsfo Member Posts: 20
    I recently saw a reference here to the site www.fightingchance.com

So, I took a flyer and ordered their info kit. It's interesting. Even after literally months of research on a new Forester XT, I found much of the ancillary information (beyond the prosaic model/invoice/MSRP data) to be quite useful. The info kit really concentrates all of the important items to consider during the purchase process. It also describes many of the "car store" operational background isues that influences the deals you see, their timing, and things like why you should look at dealer newspaper ads even if they're not directly relevant to the particular car you're interested in, etc. Recommended.
  • bart0001bart0001 Member Posts: 3
    Ive been shopping a Forester X in the Boston area and found one dealer thus far willing to sell below invoice. If one will, they all will. Inventory is HEAVY right now.
  • sociableorgsociableorg Member Posts: 5
    Hi.. Who is the Boston dealer you contacted ? Appreciate your response
    I'm actually in the NH/MA area. Can you please post the dealer you worked with and also the price you paid ? I'm looking to buy a forester this week.
  • bart0001bart0001 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I see that you are asking about an XT.

Ive been talking with Patrick Subaru in Shrewsbury, Mass. Twice they've offered to sell me a 2.5X with auto trans. for $19,980. I've not purchased one because they are not cooperating at all on my trade-in. Thus, I cannot tell for sure whether that price is "valid" or not. But for what it's worth they have given me the impression that if I took the trade out of the deal that's what they'd do.

I also did not ask if there is some "document processing fee" on their sales contract that would bite me at the time of signing.

If they have a number of XT's in stock I'd expect them to be similarly motivated.
    Got a good price from Patrick on a LLBean. Took it to Nashua (NH) Subaru and they matched it. We have had good luck with this NH dealer.
    Thanks..Will look up Nashua Subaru..
  • gmariegmarie Member Posts: 6
    I got my 06 Forester LLBean from Manchester Subaru... It was a little rough to get the right price on my trade-in but overall had a great experience there and got an excellent price, see my earlier post for details. Do the internet quote thing and you'll probably get the same OTD price from several dealers then you can see who's going to give you the best trade-in.

-G in NH
    Enjoy! Yes, I think the internet has changed car buying for the better. Did you get a chance to try it on ice this morning?
  • gotsprings12gotsprings12 Member Posts: 7
    After months of searching and trying to pick a car I finally picked up my Forester on the 27th.

I had to buy it in VA and I live in MD.
    Car: 2006 Forester XT (Ltd.), Manual Trans, White
    Installed Options: All Weather Mats, Rear Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Cover, Auto Dimming Compass Mirror (not homelinked), Rear Vertical Cargo Net, Wheel Locks.

Price Out the Door... $26523.

2 options were not installed... wheel locks and rear bumper cover. I have a "What We Owe You" from the dealership for those parts.

After one day of driving around I can see I need to have the mud flaps installed. I went through one mud puddle and the forester sprayed the mud all up the right door. If that had been road salt I think my paint would get wrecked, quick.

So how bad did I do on price? This is my first new car in 10.5 years.
    Sounds reasonable, assuming that includes state tax? Yours is pretty loaded up.

Congrats.

-juice