Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    Hunter Subaru, Hendersonville, NC will be glad to allow them. They did that 4 months ago when I bought mine. Lips 1001, I live in the area and if you come this way let me know and I'll give you a ride and buy you a burger.
  • lips1001lips1001 Member Posts: 2
    Subyguy2, where is the dealership that is going to sell the 15 STI's at invoice. Send me an e-mail if you can. Thanks
  • blacktop986sblacktop986s Member Posts: 2
    Just got my Platinum Silver at their White Flint store for $300 over invoice + $49 processing fee. First rate, no hassles at all. They do not allow test drives, but that was fine with me as the car I bought had no additional miles on it.

They are getting two more in by the end of this month.
  • galant56galant56 Member Posts: 4
    Sacramento's Autowest Subaru on Sat., Nov. 15, advertising $4000 off MSRP after $750 rebate for 2004 WRX wagons. Crashing California economy can lead to a good buy for the patient buyer.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    They're a little soft here too. Depends how much you have in the way of options to get to a $4000 discount.
  • dragon12dragon12 Member Posts: 2
    at a local used car lot, i found a 2000 impreza 4dr sedan for 8900. i talked the guy down to 8000 including taz and title, and i took it to my mechanic and he said its clean-the vin checks out too-it says it was a fleet car in an auction in may, but other than that, its had one owner. it has 57500 miles. that seems really cheap right? something has to be wrong!!! or am i ignorant enough to think i stumbled upon a deal???? help!!!!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That's not outrageously cheap.

My buddy is selling his 2000 coupe 5MT RS for around the same amount with 65K miles on it.

-mike
    Not cheap, but a fair price.
  • fzara2003fzara2003 Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking to lease the Impreza WRX.

The Subaru dealer offered $363/month, 2,000 down, for 12,000 miles in a blue pearl WRX.

Mind you, its fully loaded-turbo gauge, short shifter, upgraded radio, premium package, security system, arm rest, etc.

Is this a good offer? Shouldn't I be getting something around $325/month?
    Is that with or without taxes? It sounds like a good deal for a Premium Package, that car could sticker around $30,000.
  • fzara2003fzara2003 Member Posts: 12
    The car is with taxes.

My logic behind getting this car is that a brand new BMW 325xi is $419/month, with a 2500 down. And this is a car with a 34k msrp.

In fact, my theory is that subarus lease payments are extremely high because subaru's cars deppreciate so fast- take a look at the residual value of the WRX w/Premium Package.

I'll have to see what price I can get the car down to.
    That's a naked Bimmer compared to a loaded Subie, read the fine print.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    34K for 325xi does not get you naked car.
    Subaru does not hold value as well as BMW (almost nobody does) so leases on more expensive BMWs are comparable to much cheaper(MSRP) Subarus.

Krzys
    You are right, leasing doesn't pay on med-low end cars due to the lower residuals. Here is the catch on the BMW, unless they include service, you are going to be paying a lot more in service, insurance, etc.

Also I don't know anyone who finds leasing really applicable anymore unless they are using it as a writeoff. Why would you get a car you can only drive 12K miles a year in? I drive that many miles in my sleep in a year! I'd burn up a leas in about 1 year.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bimmers demand near MSRP new, so resale is (artificially) strong.

You can get a much better deal on a WRX, I've seen basic wagons at $20.5k. I bet in 4-5 years it's still worth half that, so you lose maybe $10 grand overall.

A $34k Bimmer will be worth maybe $18k in the same 4-5 years. So actual depreciation cost is greater, more like $16 grand.

Get a deal on a Subie now, and buy it, don't lease it.

Leasing is a guessing game. Some folks bought '99 Odysseys and sold them 2 years later for more than they paid. You think they would have had a negative lease payment?

-juice
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Does anyone know the invoice prices on the optional Subaru WRX 17" BBS Wheels and the standard Euro WRX 17" wheels?
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    subaruparts.com has the BBS wheels for $3,000 plus shipping. The Euro WRX wheels are hard to find. vividracing.com used to sell them, but I don't see them on their site anymore.

Not sure if Arne Haines as them (can't remember his site), but he gets UK items.

-Dennis
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Dennis,
       Thanks for the info, but, I really wanted the invoice prices rather than the MSRP.
    The package invoice? You can always try Tire Rack for aftermarket.
  • subtonesubtone Member Posts: 15
    the dealer here in phila wants 26,000 for a wrx, w/Premium Package Manual ... i can't see spending over 24,000 for this car ... what do you guys think ?
    Depends on how it's equipped. I have a WRX Premium in stock that has an invoice of $27,155; no way can I sell it for $24,000. Now the base invoice would have been $24,689 had the car come without equipment. With the current $750 rebate your $24,000 would be just fine, but what options does the car have on it?
    shows invoice as $24,384 (no options). $26k is definitely too high.

-Dennis
    Is wrong on invoices at the moment. I used the real thing.
    Subaru Distributor's Corp. vs. Subaru of New England. I think your prices are higher.

-Dennis
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    If you pay extra money for the 17" wheels, will the dealer also give you back the original 16" wheels? I think there is $300 to $400 value for the 16".
    That's for parts and accessories only, the car is the same base price.
    I routinely sell WRX wheels w/tires for around $250, purchase them for around $200-225.

-mike
  • stinstistinsti Member Posts: 3
    I have been driving a german car for quite awhile, and I was considering a japanese sports car. The STI's did catch my attention, but I am really worried about this car's reliability. I have heard from mechanics that subaru reliability is horrible, and my friend also told me about his 2002 wrx having problems (only 9500 miles). He said that when it rains, the car idles really low and jumps up back to about 1700rpm in start up. This process of up and down repeats over and over for several minutes. Therefore, I wanted to ask all you subaru owners of wrx or STI for reliability info of SUbarus. THis is really important. AGAIN, are subarus reliable? IS there any site or source that has vast amount of information...
    THanks
    My family owns or has owned at least 10-12 subies for the past 10-12 years. None of them have reliability issues at all.

Currently I drive 3 subies:

1996 Impreza L -155K miles, the past 3000 miles have been run at WOT on the track in track situations, no problems with it no matter how much I abuse it.

1992 Subaru SVX -103K miles, tracked 6x, and driven hard the rest of the time. Only regularly scheduled maintenance on it so far.

1994 Subaru Legacy TURBO- 100k miles, just had clutch done about 15k miles ago. Other than that she's running strong.

If you look in consumer reports and JDPowers you'll see their long-term reliability is top notch. Of course if you abuse your car or heavily modify it, all bets are off, but that is the case on any car.

-mike
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    Consumer Reports, which collects reports from thousands of owners every year, consistently reports Subaru reliability as better than average.
    They were #2 last year behind Toyota (grouped with Lexus), I think they fell to #3 or 4 this year. Still very near the top.

-juice
    My understanding is long-term reliability on Subarus is unsurpassed.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    " He said that when it rains, the car idles really low and jumps up back to about 1700rpm in start up. This process of up and down repeats over and over for several minutes. "

- This sounds like a symptom of the early chips and reprograming for ECUs for the WRX. This was an issue on the early chip releases for the WRX (early '03 and before). There were some issues with the Turbo air that the chips did not initially take into account. This is no longer the case since most of the chip manufacturers have accomodated for this.

- In terms of reliability, as is Subaru's reputuation, had early nits and other things, but have since had not problems to speak of. 40K miles so far on a WRX.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    "IMPREZA WRX STi" Hope you got a chance to watch the show on Speed TV. Pretty impresive on the back roads, on the track and of course the only one that could do it on the dirt.

1st - Subaru WRX STi
    2nd - Mazda RX-8
    3rd - Porsche GT2
    4th - Nissan 350Z Roadster
    5th - BMW 530 Sedan
  • suprasnipersuprasniper Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a WRX sedan at invoice price & 1.9%, 63 months terms (base price is less than Edmunds' invoice price),it come w/ Armrest, Security upgrade & Short throw shifter (paid invoice prices too). I added Turbo Boost Gauge & Spoiler about $150 higher than invoice coz dealer said they need to cover cost (I guess it's OK since it's not factory installed). This month they get another $500 incentive so someone may get a even better deal. Want to share the info & get some feedback to see the deal is ok or not for preparing next car purchase.
    The dealer's gotta eat! :o)

Their margins are tiny (what, 2% maybe?), I'm sure less than the cost of doing business in that case. They make up the loss on service, which is far more profitable.

-juice
    I saw some websites offer $1,400 below invoice price, not sure it's gimmick or what,,, and I agree the cost doing business in CA is just too high.
    I start looking for accessories like air filtration system, it cost only $31.96 at AllSubaru.com vs dealer $46 (invoice price). Upgrades add up so every penny count,,,
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    Includes the $750 rebate and $500 marketing support to dealer.
    I guess most people will take advantage of 1.9% - 63 months term instead of $750. Even you grab the $750 and get 3.65% outside you still end up paying more.
    I may get $500 off if I buy this month,,, I'm not great in bargain anyway.
    Ok, thanks for everyone's responses!
  • shoppershopper Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of getting the wrx sti, but I really think the large spoiler is ugly. Can one have it removed and/or replaced with the regular wrx sedan spoiler? If so, and ideas to the cost?? Would the dealer do it?
    I do think the other spoiler uses the same holes. Your best bet might be finding someone willing to switch. Heck, you may even be able to sell yours. Before the STi came out people were paying $500 or more for an aftermarket painted one.

-juice
  • 95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    Actually the STI spoiler has a lot more holes so if you do switch just the spoiler the trunk will still have other holes that need to be filled.
    What most seem to do is swap the entire trunk out with other people. i wish the spoiler was an option and not mandatory. A little too large for my taste.
    I stand corrected, sorry 'bout that.

Go to the Nabisco classifieds and check for "WTB", i.e. Want to buy.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Saw an STi with the regular WRX spoiler recently.
  • 95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    Of course these are still rumors, hence the title, but have been hearing rumors on other boards about some small changes. New color (gunmetal gray) yummy, and a spoiler delete option (thank god) plus making the radio standard.

I will say those were some of the biggest concerns i have about the sti (spoiler and radio). Of course radio is easy to fix but i am lazy and dont really want to have to go out and get an aftermarket. Plus i love dark gray colors.
    is that it will get VVTi on the exhaust side of the valves pushing it to 330hp.

-mike
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I was very interested in the STi but bought a different car. The spoiler was too much. I have been keeping up on inventory and 1 local dealer with 2 locations has 14 Sti's sitting on the lot.
    Glad you didn't buy the STi due to the spoiler. Us die-hard subie fans don't like when folks come out and buy subies as "me-too" cars, sounds like if you declined to buy the car due to the spoiler that you didn't know the full depth and range of the vehicle. :) I'm actually quite happy to see a ton of WRX owners selling their cars and jumping ship to the next "me too" car the Evo. Wonder what the next trendy car will be.

-mike
    Radio is an easy install even for a lazy person. I've done a couple, one on my Forester (3/10 stars for difficulty) and another on our Legacy (5/10 stars for difficulty).

A trained monkey could install a stereo in the Impreza/Forester. Or just pay $75 for a shop to install it. You can E-bay a WRX 6CD changer for $200 or so.

-juice
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I guess the spoiler was but one of many things holding me back. Trust me 300hp 300lb/ft of torque with AWD sounds like heaven. However, this would have to be my commuting car as well as a car that can tote around my girls on occasion (both in car seats). I am a big fan of the STi, just would have prefered the stealth of no big wing.