Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think there is also a mileage limit that isn't mentioned there, but it's a few K miles IIRC.

I would consider that demo, sure. It really would depend on my financial situation. If you cannot afford new anyway, it seems like that car is a match for what you want (otherwise you would not have mentioned the extras). I might buy it, sure.

FWIW, I bought my Miata used, 8 years old, and it's been one of the two most reliable cars I've ever owned (the other being my new Forester).

-juice
  • alobster7alobster7 Member Posts: 17
    I can afford new but the new doesn't have all the features as the 05 special edition with only a thousand miles. I DO NOT WANT A USED CAR!!!! The reason I was asking is if legally a demo is not used and you still obtain a new car warranty what are the drawbacks I am missing. According to Beat the Car Salesman they are:

I went to a dealership and found a new "demo" car for sale at a $4,000 discount. Is buying a "demo" car a good idea?

Dealerships are always trying to unload "demonstrators" ("demos") -- cars that were driven by the managers or salesmen but are still legally new. The car salesman may tell you that the "demonstrator" has been immaculately maintained since it was driven by an "executive." He may also assure you that you can get a far better deal on this car than you would get on a brand new car. Don't believe it.

While a discount of $4,000 may seem generous at first glance, my experience tells me that the selling price of a "demonstrator" car is often not much less than if you bought the same car brand new. And if you take into account the fact that there is considerable mileage on this "new" car (which gets subtracted from the mileage allotment of your Factory Warranty) and the fact that "demonstrator" cars often receive lots of abusive wear and tear that may not be noticeable at first glance, the "demo" suddenly doesn't seem so attractive.

Best Advice: avoid any offers to buy a "demo."

I was just curious if anyone on this board has heard good or horror demo stories. In addition, since you mentioned a Forrester, a Subaru salesman told me the other day that this car is compared to the Civic. I don't get this idea.
    Well, it's not like it's an STI, which would have been driven real hard, or even a Legacy GT for that matter. So any "abuse" is less likely with an SE model.

-juice
  • fastone1fastone1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Somebody wants to buy my car and they need to pick it up now because they are moving out-of-state. This means i need a new car asap and i've been eyeing the 06 Sti.
    I looked up the TMV and it looks like everybody's paying $33,620 MSRP :(
    Has anybody bought one that is priced lower than that? Btw, invoice price is $31,394.

Thanks!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Use Edmunds to locate a dealer who'll do it for less, and be prepared to travel north or into the mountains for a deal. You can beat TMV in this case.
  • jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    Hard to keep track of, I know. Get those windshield stickers from your local auto supply place. I get them from Advance Auto Parts since I buy my oil there usually

I just use the Trip B odometer. I reset it after I change the oil. I use the Trip A for gas mileage calculation. I just hit the trip button whenever I want to check how long it's been :)
    I forget in what year they added that, but my '98 doesn't have it. My wife's '02 does, though.

-juice
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello All. I am trying to buy a new 2005 WRX Wagon five speed. It is one of the last three left on the dealer lot. Dealer's advertised price is $21,999 before taxes and fees. Car has no options other than the security system upgrade and auto-dimming mirrors with compass. MSRP is about $25,550. Is this a good price? It's about $3500 off the sticker with the $1500 incentive/rebate included, but I think that they could do much better...
    That's pretty much invoice minus rebate minus most of the holdback....yeah I think you should hold out for a better price, the dealer must be ripping you off somehow.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,694
    I'm sure that is tongue in cheek, but one of the dealers in my local area was offering the same car for $3800 off off MSRP all through August and September..

I don't think it really matters if this dealer is losing money on that car... If the car won't sell at that price, then they will have to lower it... or keep it for a lovely trophy.. Once the '06 models come out, that car is depreciating on their lot, the same as it would in someone's driveway..

It is a decent price, but nothing that hasn't been available for the last few months...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The '06's are out and selling better than the 2005's, though some people like the old style better.
    Hello all,

I did not end up getting the 2005 WR Blue wagon as I discussed before. However, another dealer from neighboring city is offering 2006 base WRX in WR Blue (color that I like) for $23,645. He is also offering Limted starting at $26,200. I could really care less about auto dimming mirrors and security sesor on 2006, since they come equipped with the engine immobilizer. Is this fair price for 2006 base WRX wagon with no options? Edmunds TMV is about at $23,700. Also, this car yet from another city nearby...do you usually pay dealers to bring vehicle from outside their inventory?

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
  • drivelikejehudrivelikejehu Member Posts: 21
    Actually, if your car is at another dealer a few cities away, your dealer should have no problem doing a dealer swap, or dealer trade with them. I was looking for a 2005 a while back, i'm in central florida, and my dealer was willing to pull in a silver outback sport from Atlanta Georgia, no cost. anything else, i'd have to pay freighting fees.

is your 2006 wrx base model still the wrx, and not the TR? because if it's the regular WRX, i think thats reasonable. i think you may do better, but then again i dont know much about finding a good price online. the TR should go for less. at least with the small amount of research i've been doing.
  • soupboysoupboy Member Posts: 15
    I'd be amazed if STis are moving strongly enough to warrant MSRP. Then again, I'm in MN where my dealer has been camped on them for a while. Check out www dot subaru dot net.

As for the 2006 WRX Wagon questions - there is no TR wagon and the 2006 should be selling better because it has the newer, more powerful engine than the 2005 with the 2.0L.

Get some quotes and ask for specific price components. Forget list/MSRP. Ask to see their cost, existing incentives, holdbacks, etc. and work from there. Any dealer not willing to do this is not worth doing business with.
    This story gets even more interesting...Subaru dealer in my town called me yesterday (I had originally driven some 2005s with them), and offered a 2006 Aspen White WRX Limited wagon for $25,300! This does include security system sensor, auto dimming mirrors and subwofer, and destination. That's whopping $3K off the MSRP. Dealer in another city confirmed that $23,475 for base 2006 WRX wagon is including destination. But after seeing that a fully loaded 2006 can be had for mere $2K more, I am tempted despite my hatred for white exterior color. What's going on at Subaru? Are they in trouble or something? I guess it's because the WRX redesign is only about a year away. If my trade in is resonable, I may bite the bullet and go for the Limited...
  • sanfranciscansanfranciscan Member Posts: 1
    2006 WRX sport wagon, $220 under invoice

Here is another price point, pretax: $25,200. (That was $23,140 car + $360 short shifter, installed + $1700 gold plus plan)

Yesterday, here in the SF Bay Area, I bought a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX sport wagon (the cloth interior, not the leather) for $220 under the Edmunds invoice price for the car itself.

Since it was a base model with no options, I got the short shifter installed for another $360, which was $135 over edmunds invoice of $225. It was $15 over edmunds MSRP for that option as well. Oh well.

For an extended warrantee or service plan, I got the 7/100K mi, 0 deductible gold plus plan for $1700. That was supposedly dealer cost. The Gold Plus plan for turbo has MSRP listed here(http://www.rushneck.subarusdc.com/en_US/f_AddedSecurity_1.chtml
    for $2710.
  • shrink2shrink2 Member Posts: 9
    Any thoughts regarding the above? (replacing my Acura TL-S, nice car but starting to suck my soul, ie front wheel drive, automatic)
    Also, any more thoughts about what people are paying in Northern CA?

I've been reading as much of the old posts as I could get through before posting, good discussions!

thanks in advance for thoughts.
    Well, I've seen the EVO X in person and really like it, so to me the IX is an outgoing model and will seem old relatively soon. The STI just was refreshed, and should be around for a couple more years.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    here's my comments from 2 years ago... everything still applies except the Additional Dealer Markup on the Evo MR. You can easily get either car for under MSRP if you look around; there are a few clueless dealers still trying to get premiums for these cars, but they are in the minority.

oh wait I see another thing but am not going to bother to re-author... the "Patti factor" is now gone for Subaru. :(

______

they are very similar cars, although the 3 trims of Evo now available versus just one STi does muddy the comparision a bit. my opinions are sprinkled in among some measured facts. I am comparing 2005 models --Evo just now available-- but drive an '03 Evo (GSR).

common features:
    - plenty of power with both doing 13.3-13.5 second quartermile under magazine test conditions. under less abusive real-world driving, they're not as fast due to avoiding harsh AWD launches.
    - 'in your face' styling
    - suspension that is heavily handling biased and offers little ride comfort
    - no near-luxo features
    - both* have HID headlamps
    - acceptable fuel mileage for the HP delivered
    - noisy, harsh-riding, super sticky summer-only original equipment tires
    - unbelivably powerful brakes (same Brembo calipers on both cars)
    - excellent visibility compared to other sporty cars due to lots of glass and the tall rallycar stance (compare with 350Z and RX-8)

company differences:
    - Subaru has never been remotely as large as Mitsubishi, but Mitsubishi's size is definitely not an advantage when they have tremendous debt and rapidly fading brand image. If Mitsubishi were anything but a semi-nationalized Japanese company they would have folded / sold long ago, but I'm not sure that they are going anywhere just yet.
    - Mitsubishi reliability is at least as good as Subaru (headgaskets anyone?), but they are extremely aggressive about denying warranty on vehicles that are raced, have been modified, etc in the event you do have a problem. Subaru as a company is better about it, and weighing in the "Patti" factor there's no comparison.

Evo RS:
    - unreal performance for only $28,199.
    - no sound deadening, no trunk lining, no HID headlights, no wing, no ABS, no power locks, no power windows.
    - no resale value IMO because of the above, except to young sportcompact enthusiasts or real rally- / road-racers.
    - narrower seats fit drivers below 200lb better than the STi seats
    - aftermarket cruise control can be added for about $300. mine (Rostra) is much better than nothing but not near as good as OEM.
    - much more neutral handling than the STi, whose pronounced understeer is felt under hard cornering
    - ultra-quick steering with good road feel
    - larger and more sophisticated turbocharger than the STi uses, but 19.5psi doesn't arrive until 3,500 rpm.
    - truly useable backseat that is Subaru Legacy-sized.
    - gas tank is a bit small at 14.0 gallons and is at least a gallon smaller than the Impreza.
    - five speed gearbox is perfect for all but extended high speed highway use (about 3400 rpm at 80)

Evo GSR changes from RS:
    - at $30,499 it offers everything that the STi does except DCCD and a six speed, for about $2,000 less.
    - in my opinion, the hood vent is a lot more attractive and less obnoxious than the STi's hood scoop.
    - hood vent is functional; massive heat waves can readily be seen as it is just over the turbocharger and air flows through the grille / radiator and then out the vent.
    - interior is simple but does not look cheap in my opinion (look in a regular Lancer, hehe).

Evo MR changes from GSR:
    - at $34,999 it is a poor value.
    - ADM is likely, but if you hunt around enough you can probably find one for MSRP. unfortunately that is still not a fair price to me for this trim level.
    - while it might be functional, I find the rear diffuser (comb-looking device at the top of the rear glass) to be ugly and unnecessary.
    - gunmetal wheels do nothing for me, but they are forged aluminum like the STi wheels.
    - six speed is very similar to STi, which is to say it will be a bit annoying in normal driving but nice to turn a few hundred RPM less at 80+ MPH on the highway.
    - active center differential has tarmac, gravel and snow modes. many purchasers will use the vehicle only on tarmac, but it is roughly equivalent to the STi's DCCD.
    - no active yaw control rear differential like the Japanese and European market Evo GSR and MR have.

WRX STi
    - $32,295 is a decent price, but you can have one for invoice or a few hundred over, which makes it very competitive with Evo GSR and MR.
    - considerably better torque than the Evo below 3,500 rpm-- only relevant in normal commuting/driving. doesn't matter at all when driving hard.
    - DCCD's auto mode is probably better than the Evo MR's tarmac setting but it is overall less intuitive for users. many people would not know to set 50/50 in gravel and in heavy snow use 50/50 locked, even if it is suggested in the owner's manual.
    - steering feel and speed improved for '05 but still lags behind the Evo
    - wider sport seats are better for larger frames
    - back seat is tight
    - you either love or you hate the tall hood scoop. the wings on both cars are pretty wild.
    - standard side airbags if you care. I don't.
    ______

whew. :)
    ~Colin
    Nice write up,though I'm not sure which trim EVO GSR refers to (IX?). Prices have changed a little, with the MR now being a little more expensive, and that before the mark-ups. Road and Track has a nice comparison of the EVO MR and STI, both 06 in a Sports Car/GT edition.
    I'm going to try to pick up an STI in the next week or so. I've got an offer for 31,999, with two years maint, and they have decent financing offers right now.

thanks for the input
  • wrxdonkeywrxdonkey Member Posts: 11
    I just signed a buyer's agreement for my 2006 STI. I couldn't be happier, it's on it's way from Japan in a major shipment. It's expected to arrive in about 6 weeks. My final cost is $33,638 (including tax, title, and license).

Price is figured as listed:
    $30,766.12 - car w/ delivery
    $ 2,692.03 - 8.75% sales tax on $30,766.12
    $ 180.00 - License and Title.

I conversed with about 8 dealers total before going with this guy, he was able to dip below invoice on a brand new car, ordered for me to meet all of my specs. I'll probably be adding a short throw shifter and wheel locks to this beast when it arrives. Based on complaints (in the NASIOC.com forums) I've heard about the stock shifter, I think it's worth it to upgrade to the short throw.

Either way, I'm friggin' psyched and counting down the days to the car's arrival.
    the un-named Evo trim here in the US and Canada is effectively the GSR trim level everywhere else. Sorry for the confusion!

~Colin
    Congrats, let us know when you get it...

-juice
  • iyamadaiyamada Member Posts: 4
    Is $22,000 out the door(taxes included)a good price for this car? Minus the taxes and other stuff the base cost would be around $20,500. This car is brand spankin new with only 50 miles on it. For some reason it was sitting at the distributors warehouse. They have two left a rally blue and a black. If i do decide to get the car, which color should i get?
    That's a nutzoid good deal, I don't understand why they are selling it for that.
    well let's see...

1) it's a model-year old
    2) the current model has cosmetic changes. (I'm not sure if they are improvements, hehe.)
    3) the current model has a much nicer 2.5L turbocharged engine

I'd say #3 is the biggest reason.

~Colin
    Sounds good to me.

I prefer the 2.5T engine as well, but you can't get it for that kind of price, and the 2.0T is probably a lot more fuel efficient.

-juice
    No, it's actually not.. unless you never use more than 1/3 of the gas pedal and thereby avoid ever making positive boost.

~Colin
    Really?

In the XT, fuel efficiency has been a common complaint, but to be fair that is a Forester, which is heavier and less aerodynamic.

-juice
    The Forester XT 5 speed manual also has much more aggressive gearing than the WRX 5 speed manual. Drive them back to back; the WRX's 3rd gear is a ton "taller". It's geared like a Civic for an attempt at gas economy... which largely was unsuccesful in my opinion.

~Colin
    Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like I might get the car if no one bought it, which i doubt. One more question. Which color rally blue or black? Im not really sure which one i should get. The blue is easier to take care of, but the black looks hella sick. This is the hardest decision I've ever made. Help me out guys.
    Be honest, now, how often do you wash your car? Black requires a lot of care, so go Blue if the answer is "once a year, when it rains." ;)

-juice
    Good news guys i got the car. My first car ever. It's the rally blue by the way. Actually got them down to 21500 out the door. Pretty stoked right now. Gonna go drive it. Peace and thanks for the help. :shades:
    Very cool, congrats.

Now he'll disappear for about a month, keep driving it, watch. ;)

-juice
    Got it today,
    06 pearl blue STI, 16 miles on the odo when I left with it.

THis break in period is going to be tough. BIG change from the Acura I was driving, but I love the change.
    Congrats also on the new car. i never knew i could be so caring toward my car. i think my girlfriends gettin a little "J" so to speak. LOL. God i love this car. woooo freakin hoooooo. :shades:
    Sweet, congrats. Speaking of the J word, I'm the one who is jealous!

-juice
  • dowright82dowright82 Member Posts: 23
    How much should I pay for one guys - trying to make a deal tomorrow. (FRIDAY)

what should I do about trading this truck in?? I've been offered $6300 which here in Tennessee means the same as if I sold it for $7000.

It has 120k miles with a v8 and 5 speed manual. VERY STRONG, eaton Positraction rear end, very clean.

Help me make a good deal guys!
  • km24km24 Member Posts: 36
    Hi
    What was the MSRP on your 2005 WRX? Could you please give me the the break down as to what the car cost, the tax, and any other fees which led to an out the door price of $21,500? Did you buy the car from a dealer, if so where or from Subaru directly?

Thank You
    Khyle
  • mpatilmpatil Member Posts: 2
    I just went in for my first test drive in a Blue STI with Gold wheels. The only options fitted were the short throw shifter and auto dimming rear view mirror. I am in love with the car though i have also read that the EVO 9 has been made more everyday user friendly than the 8. Can someone from the DFW area let me know what they have paid for the STI recently? The asking price without any negotiation thus far was MSRP though i am not sure how low i can get him to sell. thanks.
    Offer your dealer invoice, even a little bit less and see what they come back with. You can always shop it on Edmunds.
    I would suggest driving an Evo before you make a $30,000 decision.. The MIVEC system is new on the Evo for 2006, but I haven't driven one. I don't have any daily driveability concerns about my 2003 Evo but I wouldn't mind having variable valve timing. :)

~Colin
  • nohitterhoodnohitterhood Member Posts: 6
    I'm just curious if I am the only STi owner who has problems with knocking the beast out of alignment just driving at normal speeds on the "WONDERFUL" HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS OF CENTRAL CALIFORNIA.....
    I'm sure tired of it, as then it wants to "nibble", wander about following the uneven road surfaces...
    Aside for that, it is a wonderful piece of machinery..
    For what it is I consider my 25 mpg at 80-85 and 19-20 around town, short shifting a lot to be quite good...
    It certainly makes this old man feel much younger...Quite a fountain of youth...
    I'm about to get really upset with Subaru if I'm the only one who has this happen...If it is happening to others, then there will be many more STi'owners who are complaining..
    Please respond
    I've had a similar experience with the wheels wanting to follow ridges in the roads etc. Some of the highways around Sactown are brutal.
    I only have a little over 1K miles on it (break in OVER!!), so I haven't been in to check the alignment, but haven't felt anything on smooth roads to make me worry.
    I remember that my Acura would need adjusting once in awhile during a service, and that was for all 4 wheels, so I don't know if its an issue with more complicated alignment set-ups.
    Great car though. Still working on shifting smoother.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    You sure that it's an alignment issue? Sometimes it's just the tires. My first Audi had similar symptoms until I put some new rubber on it.

Byron
  • bamaflumbamaflum Member Posts: 39
    I will be in the market for a 2.5i. What should I expect from dealers in discussing price of 2.5i? I have checked our local dealer (Austin and Houston as well) and they have few 2.5i's with some 2.5rs's left over from last year. It doesn't seem like they sell well here compared to up north. Should I expect a great deal or paying MSRP?

Thanks!
  • richmtl2richmtl2 Member Posts: 6
    I did some comparatives on pricing, and either the US is getting great deals on most models or Canadians are taking it up the ... ever since the dollar has climbed.

Subaru is the worse with 20% premium on the WRX and Honda has a 13% additional markup on an SI with Aero and 18" wheels.

At Audi Canadians pay a 14% premium for 4WD compared to an 8% premium for 2WD

Generally speaking across the Toyota lineup we're paying between 10% and 20% more than the US after factoring in the current exchange rate.

The new VW GTI gap starts at 14% for the base but when you add some extras it drops to 7%

Given the free trade laws I think it's at the point where it might cost less to import the car from the US rather than buying at a Canadian dealership.

PS - don't give me the line about supply and demand. This is the corporate machine exploiting the under informed consumer.
  • twrx808twrx808 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my STI here in Hawaii for $500 below MSRP! Pfluger Subaru in Waipahu had put on an $5000 markup on the thing, Geez!

What an awesome car! Just came from a WRX too. What a huge difference. I'm glad I bought one!
  • fisherboyfisherboy Member Posts: 16
    You must be pumped. I am starting to get dealer quotes for an 06 sti (going high maintenance black) Ideally with fog lamp, short throw, autodimming/compass, boost guage, security shock sensor and destination MSRP is $35,082. Invoice is $32,665. What is resonable? My primary dealer I have been going to is of course telling me they don't get allot of the STI's and they move fast (I would expect him to tell me that).

What are they really getting? How did you do?