Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What about an Outback XT?

They are GROSSLY overvalueing your trade, so I agree you should take advantage of it.

$16,700 is just CRAZY! Are you sure?

Get an 08 Outback Sport.

Or an 08 Forester w/Premium package.
    Man, GTP values are awesome.

I hope our 2002 Legacy qualifies. It has a small dent in the lower door.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    How 'bout Forester XT Limited? Subtracting $500 rebate from invoice gets you about $26,300 (for manual tranny), and I bet you could get about $1000 off of that. Probably end up about $2500-$3000 less than WRX Premium & have loads more utility while being essentially as quick. Plus you'd get leather & the huge Forester moonroof, neither of which are even available on a WRX Premium.
  • isaiah58isaiah58 Member Posts: 7
    jeffmc,

For a Forester XT Limited, you are looking at invoice less current rebate as a pretty good deal. About $300 - $400 below that as the best deal. The only reason base Forester's are over $1,500 below invoice is they have a $1,500 rebate.
    To give an example, Fitzmall in MD is offering Foresters for about $800 below invoice before rebate is applied. They have no '08 XT Limiteds on the lot for a direct comparison, so to get as close as possible, let's look at an '08 Forester LL Bean. Fitzmall is offering $24,319 after $500 rebate on several LL Beans with an invoice of $25,638. That's $819 below invoice before the rebate is applied. So I was $181 off from being exactly $1000, but my post said "about $1000". To me, $819 falls close enough to qualify as "about $1000". Hey, whaddya want from me, perfection? :P But either way, $400 below invoice or $800 below, it's a good deal. :)

With the all-new 2009 just 4-5 months away from dealers' lots, I would think even better deals should be available soon, though inventory on rarer models like the XT Ltd may start to dwindle.
  • madhaddersmadhadders Member Posts: 1
    im looking for a new 08 subaru wrx 2.5i 4 door manual with satellite radio and nav, but not sure what is a good price. i've been looking on long island, but thinking about looking in other states like jersey. anyone know of a good starting price to haggle with the dealerships?
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    im looking for a new 08 subaru wrx 2.5i 4 door manual with satellite radio and nav, but not sure what is a good price. i've been looking on long island, but thinking about looking in other states like jersey. anyone know of a good starting price to haggle with the dealerships?

I know a few good dealerships but they won't be close to you. I'm way up in Mass and there is a decent dealer in Plaistow, NH and a very good one in Nashua, NH.
    I have bought from both of them, so you can always try and make a deal, but to go from Jersey to NH is a long haul unless it's a done deal on the Internet.
    I won't be buying another WRX, possibly an STi but that will depend on the price. There are some really Big Subie dealers in Mass and NH and well worth checking out on the Internet. You pay the tax in the State that you register your car in so. You'll still have to pay tax. New England is BIG into Subaru's!
    I've been seeing prices around $800 below MSRP, so I think that's the max I'd pay. Starting price to haggle? As far as I know there are no incentives yet, so I'd start at invoice, which would be $27,476 for yours. Fitzmall in MD is a low-price leader.
  • isaiah58isaiah58 Member Posts: 7
    jeffmc,

Maybe I misunderstood your post. You were suggesting $1,500 below invoice, $500 for the rebate and an additional $1,000 in discounts?? If you meant $1,000 total including the $500 rebate then I read your post incorrectly.

Your reference to Fitzmall pricing is the same pricing I used, as I sell Subaru's there.

madd and tiff,

If you need any help with the fitzgerald pricing I guess you can PM me. The rules will not allow me to post my contact info here
    Yeah, back on the original post, I suggested one could find an XT approximately $1000 below invoice before the $500 rebate, which is where the $1500 below invoice total came from. Turns out it was actually $819 off in addition to the $500 rebate, so it'd actually be $1381 below invoice for the customer's total before TTL. Close to $1500, but not quite. :)
  • chichi22chichi22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to lease 07 STI and I'm wondering what kind of downpayment should I expect to put down to make my monthly payment at around 300? I expect to get the car for around 33-4 OTD... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!!!
  • ck7184ck7184 Member Posts: 5
    A dealer in the Bay Area is offering the automatic premium hatchback with auto dimming mirror, center armrest extension and cargo net for 500 below invoice @ 19,431. Is that a good deal?
    I think you can do better. I would start the negotiations at invoice, not at MSRP.
    Hmm... I think juice (ateixeira) misread your post perhaps. Yes, this early in the model year, anything below invoice on a new Impreza is a good deal. Even one of the low-price Subie leaders, fitzmall, is offering Imprezas at $569 below invoice, so your price is right there. I don't think I'd quibble about the $69 difference on a $20k car... it's a good deal. ;)
    "below invoice", hmm, was the post edited later, or did I misread that? I thought he wrote below MSRP originally. Oh well.

Below invoice is a good deal on the first model year, yes.
  • lfc4evrlfc4evr Member Posts: 8
    A dealer in NJ is selling a new 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4-Door Wagon w/ Premium Package. He says MSRP for that model is $20,784. He can sell it to me for $19,799. Destination fee is included in this price; tax and motor vehicle
    fees are extra. What do you guys think, is this a good deal? I guess 19,100 is invoice for this car with premium package, so if you subtract dest. fee it comes close to invoice price. Please help me out guys..thanks.
    Sounds a little high to me.

Shop fitzmall.com, and ask them to match that price. In NY, Van Bortel is a good source for a no-haggle price. Have your dealer beat it, basically.
  • lfc4evrlfc4evr Member Posts: 8
    Thanks ateixeira for the comment. This is what the dealer gave me for the OTD price, the purchase price including tax, title and license is $21,625.43. Do you think $21,000 asking would be reasonable? I looked at fitzmall but couldn't get a price on a subaru impreza hatchback with premium package.
    You're asking for a reasonable discount, if they don't accept your offer I wouldn't go any higher.
  • ck7184ck7184 Member Posts: 5
    I paid for a 3 year/36,000 miles maintenance plan for every 3,750 service interval for 1095. Is that reasonable? How much will the maintenance at 15K and 30K cost? I am debating to get a refund, because I don't think I will save that much.

Please advise.
    I'm not a good person to ask because I do all the maintenance myself. Haven't paid for a dealer to do it...ever, now that I think about it.
  • cpark227cpark227 Member Posts: 2
    i just bought my 4 door 2008 subaru impreza 2.5i manual for 19,500 with the premium package....that price is including destination, tax and everything. u guys think this was a good deal?
    I think so...the premium package is SUCH a good deal, actually. The WRX prices are so much higher it's hard to justify stepping up to those.

Congrats.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I just spent the beeter part of today with a new Impreza 2.5i base model automatic. I had my car in for the 30K service and they (Herb Gordon Subaru in Silver Spring, MD) gave me loaner.

So, I did some X-Mas shopping, and checked out the car pretty closely. A few points to note:

• The car had almost as much road noise as my WRX—which was a shock! Maybe the base model has less sound dampng than Premium Package models, as my memory of the new WRX Prem/Pack was quiter than this car.

• The front seats are awful. They're flat with almost no side support. Even my son's '06 Outback Sport has better seats.

• Hate the rock-hard sun visors. My WRX has sun visors that are nicely padded, not so with the '08 models. This is a clear bean-counter victory. :(

• I played a bit with the SportShift. It's okay, but nothing special. It needs 5 gears, not 4 gears.

• As previously noted, it's much roomier than my car, which is good.

Bob
    Cool opportunity.

If you're still going back to pick up your car, check out if the 2.5i Premium models are any different.
    Did you check out the rear shelf on a sedan? Plastic. :( Add up all the extra plastic surfaces, and you've probably got part of the reason the car sounded noisy. Door panels, visors, rear panel, ceiling (vinyl rather than fabric, correct?)... that's a lot of area for sound to bounce off of.
    I was asked if the 2008 STI's were available for sale yet. My friend is going to be out of email contact except sporadically for a couple of weeks and wants to know as he's probably going to buy one first week of January.
    Dealers that I called are saying no chance in the Northeast. Also what's expected on this car full MSRP or are any discounts possible? I'll pass it along so he can prep for a test drive if they are available.
    Thanks
  • redsnareredsnare Member Posts: 6
    If you pre-order through subaru.com before the end of the month you get a free I-Pod Touch. You probably won't see STi's at most dealers until the middle of January. Call around to every dealer that first week your friend is visiting, though, to see if any are in; I'm guessing most will be pre-orders or snatched up quickly. I'd be surprised if you see any prices much lower than MSRP that early.
    If you pre-order through subaru.com before the end of the month you get a free I-Pod Touch. You probably won't see STi's at most dealers until the middle of January. Call around to every dealer that first week your friend is visiting, though, to see if any are in; I'm guessing most will be pre-orders or snatched up quickly. I'd be surprised if you see any prices much lower than MSRP that early.

I don't think he cares where he buys it but for sure he'll want to test drive one fairly close, at least he'd better if he expects me to drive him there. ;)
    I think he's worried about the seats in the STI. I should have my Mazdaspeed3 by then so who knows maybe he'll buy one of those. Seats seem very supportive and comfortable in the Speed3.
    I did call around for him and he did the Internet thing and so far he can't get a single quote. i guess it's tough to do. He really should get a BMW 335i but he wants AWD. The 335i is only like $4K more. But he wants more power. I'd go for a BMW if I had the $$$.
    Thanks for the info it's appreciated. :)
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Are the 08 Imprezas selling at all?
    I have seen a total of two, yes 2, '08's so far.
    I guess they will trickle in. I'm all set to buy a Mazdaspeed3. I like the STI but I just don't see an extra $14K in it over the Speed3. I'm wondering if I can fit a full size spare in the back, will have to check that out.
    My Rex fits a full size spare no problem! :shades:
    I really think for that kind of money a BMW 335i Sedan with the Sport package would be a better buy except for the damn RFT's. I can't afford a BMW so not an issue.
    Too bad the STI wasn't a bit less expensive, like $30K :D
  • redsnareredsnare Member Posts: 6
    They're posting better sales numbers than last year but as far as random road sightings are concerned, yeah, I think I've seen maybe 2, also.
  • logs1logs1 Member Posts: 10
    Looking to lease either a 2008 2.5i base model or Premium model.
    For base, dealer provided numbers are: invoice -$18,000, sticker $18,640, 36 month lease $288 per month. For Premium with Sat radio kit and rear fin (not options I need), invoice -$20,175, sticker $21,328, 36 month lease at $329 per month.

Doing a quick comparison to fitzmall, the above numbers seem high (fitz lists a base model delivered for $16,739). Any examples of leases people have gotten for either of the above cars would be helpful.
    I recall an ad for a $199/month lease. I'm sure there's more to put down but that makes $288 sound awfully high.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    My local Subaru dealers advertise a 42 month lease for $199/mo, with just $1000 due at signing..

Normally, I don't recommend leasing outside the warranty period, but if that is where the incentives are, sometimes you have to go that way..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• logs1logs1 Member Posts: 10
    Just drove off the lot with a new 2008 Impreza 2.5i, 5 door, Premium Package, 3 yr / 36 month, payments are 278.60 a month, total initial payment of $406.06.

Detailed numbers:
    MSRP - $20,682
    Cap Costs - $18,719
    Term - 36 months
    Rate - 1.15 - lease factor = .00115
    Residual - 55%
    Adjusted residual value = $11,375
    miles allowed - 12,000
    doc fee - $795 - (this is marked up either $200 or $300 if you want to try to get it lower)

Car was in stock, White, automatic, Premium Package.

Dealer tried to push a 42 month lease on us and claimed they could not make this deal work. Extending a lease outside of the warranty period does not make sense to me, ever. In the end the dealer was cooperative and did the deal as detailed above.
    Congrats, that's a great value for all the stuff you get in the Premium package. :shades:
  • eastbay1eastbay1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Got a 08 Impreza Outback Sport yesterday for $20043 + dest, tax, reg. Accessories: All wx mats, armrest, Homelink mirror, Rear bumper protector. Seemed like a good price. Really enjoying a beautiful car so far. Question though, do Subarus come with floor mats? Realized when I got home I didn't have any carpeted ones, just the all weather ones that were a paid for accessory..
    Thanks
    Carpeted floor mats are standard... looks like it's time to give the dealer a quick call and pick 'em up. Glad you're enjoying your Subie. :)
    Congrats! :shades:
  • speedracerrspeedracerr Member Posts: 6
    Here's the lease offer from a dealer i got today for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-Dr Auto with Premium and VDC.

MSRP: $28,797
    Purchase Price: $26,591
    Edmunds Invoice Price: $26,317

Option 1) 36 mos, 15k/yr: $678.39 Total Drive Off, $433.64 payment including tax. $14,974.44 Residual (52%???), and 0.00150 lease factor.

Option 2) 48 mos, 12k/yr: $651.32 Total Drive Off, $406.57 payment including tax. $13,246.62 Residual (46%???), and 0.00215 lease factor.

I have a couple of questions: Can i do better on the purchase price? I have Tier 1 credit, is the residual and MF the best i can get or is the dealer marking up these numbers? Also, the lease calculator i have shows the payment should be $416.80 for 36 mos and $393.66 for 48 mos; why is the dealer payment higher? Could this be due to additional hidden dealer fees i'm not aware of?

I think i have a good offer but i think that there's definitely room for negotiation. Lastly, does VW offer any service/ maintenance plan i can try to get the dealer to throw in with the car?
  • jasongauthierjasongauthier Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to those who posted. As always, your comments were very helpful in buying a new car.

I purchased a 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5 base model (with manual transmission) yesterday at Annapolis Subaru. Very pleased with the staff and sales person (Allison Williams). Also, a very simple purchase, with most info taken over the phone Friday.

Final sale price of the car was $16,379, got a fair price on my trade in and financing that was better than what my credit union could offer.

Jason
    Wow. About $1000 under invoice. Nice job!
    Very low price for a lotta car. Wow. That's about what a Fit Sport costs, sans AWD.
  • whatever11whatever11 Member Posts: 2
    How's this sound:

08 STI s/BBS package
    MSRP: $37,682
    Sale Price: $35,980
    MF: 215
    Residual: 52%
    Cap Reduction: $1,000 ($2,000 drive off)
    Term: 42 month
    Payment: $543.64

Anybody get a lower MF or Sale Price?
  • javert_123javert_123 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,

Here is the quote I got for a 2008 OBS in the SF Bay Area. Please let me know what you think.

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with the Automatic transmission and the following factory options: I-Pod Interface, Subwoofer and Amplifier and Security System Shock Sensor. $20,598 + Fees (includes destination & delivery).

Subaru is also offering 0% APR for 24 months for qualified buyers.

Your input is appreciated!
    Hi, eastbay1. Did you get your new OBS from dealer in the SF Bay Area? If so, can you tell me which dealership? Thanks.
  • naragonlnaragonl Member Posts: 6
    Can you let me know what dealership you got this at?
    I pulled the trigger. Here's what I got:

Black 2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with the Automatic transmission with the following: I-Pod Interface, Subwoofer, Security System Shock Sensor, Side Body Molding, Rear Bumper Cover, Autodimming Mirror with Homelink, and Rear Cargo Net.

Price: $20,920 (destination already included, but before taxes).

This is my first subaru and first "real" car. Hope I did ok...
    Woooot!

Congrats! :shades: