Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rishiprasadrishiprasad Member Posts: 6
    I bought for $2600 under MSRP or about $1000 under invoice. This was from Grand Subaru. Did everything by email and talked to almost every dealer in Chicago land. Several dealers were willing to go to about $500 below invoice. But nobody would come close to Grand.

Of course this was late January. You would think prices should be down since then but maybe not.
  • imprezaownerimprezaowner Member Posts: 1
    Premium 4 door sedan Msrp 21,445 total including options listed below
    PZEV
    CVT
    Auto Dim mirror with compass
    side moldings
    Splash gaurds
    Center tray

I purchased this car in Dec last year out the door price of $21,050.00 took from dealer stock here in North Carolina this included all fees TTL. I think this was fair price. I also negotiated dealer include , oil pan bolt washer, oil, oil filter(needed for first change), air filter, and in cabin air filter to sweeten the deal.
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    Doesn't seem like many come here looking for prices or WRX's but I will post my deal which is $900 under invoice:

2013 WRX 5 door WRB Base model
    Short Throw
    Body Side Moldings
    Bumper Cover
    Homelink Mirror
    Arm Rest Extension
    $24,957 + tax
  • edmunds604edmunds604 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    This is what the dealership offered me for the 2013 impreza 2.0i 5-doors hatchback automatic.

MSRP is .... i forgot 17,XXX
    Auto CVT = $1000
    PZEV = $300
    license plate cover = $49 (already had it, can i request them to remove it?)
    Negotiated Price down to $18,495
    Tax = $1440 (8.725%)
    Document Prep = $299
    Registration/License = $325
    Destination fee = $750
    Total Contract Price = $20,770
    Deposit = 0
    Finance = 1.9% apr for 48 months or 2.9% apr for 60 months.

Didn't get to buy it in the end because the sales manager thought it was too low and made up some bulls**t excuse claiming I didn't get approved for the apr and it will be 5.9% instead. I walked out. Got another email saying they some how got the 2.9% for 60 months approved but the price will be $19,507. Full of [non-permissible content removed].

Should I still buy it at 19,507 for 2.9% for 60 months?
    auto or manual? does that price include everything or is it before tax, fee, etc?
  • boogzboogz Member Posts: 5
    Understanding the Crosstrek is built off the impreza -- does anyone know any of the lease rates or residual numbers Chase is offering on a 12k / 36 month lease ?

I'm new to subuie and am interesting in pulling the trigger this month, but wanted to find out if maintenance is expensive? Should that be something that i should strongly negotiate for?

Is there a lease end disposition fee? How is the lease end "allowance" for wear and tear handled ?

Thanks,

H
  • chasandreschasandres Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently looking to order a 2013 hatchback, and I want the best possible price. It looks like I can probably talk a dealer down to the Edmunds TMV, but I saw a bunch of posts on this thread from a few months back talking about people getting this car for between $500 and $1000 under dealer invoice. I've talked to a few people who have told me that this simply can't be possible. What's the truth here? What sort of price should I realistically be okay paying?
    bought mine for $19000 + $189 doc fee + 295 title & registration + tax

you probably CAN get the 2012 for 500-1000 under invoice but hard to find 2012 models since it's one of the top cars of 2012 cause of AWD and 36 mpg highway and under $20k. Let me know how much you paid for yours so I know if I overpaid.
  • elcoyoteloselcoyotelos Member Posts: 2
    Hey karpediem,

The best I've gotten so far is $500 over invoice base with no options. Very interested in the car with similar options, what dealership did you get it from?
  • chefkelchefkel Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone ordered a crosstrek xv or gotten one off the lot yet? I'm curious what people paid.

thanks
    +1
    How much are you folks getting a 2013 Impreza Hatchback Sport on a 42 month lease ?
  • jmol50jmol50 Member Posts: 1
    We paid 500 under invoice including all weather mats, aero cross bars, side sills, auto dim mirror w compass, cargo tray, cargo net, and rear bumper thing... $20,518 plus tax title and doc fee. We shopped around the DC metro area looking for Sport w MT - didn't want to do factory order so we took whatever color / options were around. Got lucky with white. Just bought it Friday and we love it!
  • elcoyoteloselcoyotelos Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Anybody else got a good deal for 2013 wrx's?
    Wonderin :confuse: g where did you get yours for $900 under invoice karpediem. Or if anyone else got a good deal under invoice would really like to know. Im looking to purchase and buy not lease. Thank you
  • bradtxag96bradtxag96 Member Posts: 1
    Msrp $26416
    Price $23345 + ttl

I decided to purchase a 2012 so I could get the green/silver exterior color that was discontinued for 2013.

I will pick it up tomorrow after work.

There seem to be plenty of Imprezas in Texas, both 2013 and leftover 2012 models. Last month dealer websites were advertising 10% off msrp. Up to 12% this month.

I am worried about the mpg reports :surprise: , but I hope that driving gently will return good fuel economy and maybe fewer speeding tickets. :):)
  • elg77elg77 Member Posts: 5
    I got my 2013 sedan Limited for 21,500 with a sticker price of over $24,000. my $21,500 was the FINAL amout that i paid and it included taxes, fees, auto car starter and simonize. HOWEVER, they only gave me $500 under sticker and had to seriously inflate the value of my trade-in to get it at a total price i was ok with. in the end they gave me more than 2X what other dealers were saying my trade-in was worth! :)

p.s. go at the end of the month.
    edited October 2012
    Can you break down what you paid?

This is what I paid...

$19000 for 2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Base with CVT Automatic
    $189 - Doc fee
    $292 - Title & Reg fee
    $1695.84 - NY Tax
    $108 - Cargo Cover
    ---------------------------
    $21284.84 out the door
    I don't get how is your sticker price $24,000 but you said they only gave you $500 under sticker...but your total is $21500....your math does not add up at all.
  • elg77elg77 Member Posts: 5
    sorry, the $21,500 was with my trade-in.

for a 2013 sedan Limited (leather seats, all weather package, blue tooth, moonroof, etc.)

sticker: 24,396
    simonize: 399
    auto car starter: 399
    taxes, fees, etc.: 1869
    total: 27, 063

i told them what i wanted my final price to be and after nearly 2 hours of negotiating they gave me $500 off sticker and $5,100 for my trade-in. other dealers were offering me b/w $2,000 and $2,500 for my trade-in.

does that make sense?
  • withfilmwithfilm Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience going through an auto broker? Looking to get my first Impreza soon. Either a 2012 or a 2013. Is there a disadvantage to using a broker?
    What broker?

Just walk into your Subaru dealership and deal with them.

By the way the latest price I got for an impreza was....

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i CVT

$18,732.00 Selling Price (Including Internet Coupon)
    $1,311.24 NJ Sales Tax 7%
    $7.50 NJ Tire Tax
    $302.00 Estimated MV Fees Title & 4-Yr Reg
    $7.70 NJ Online Reg Fee
    $189.00 Documentary Fee

I really wanted the 17" wheels for some reason but no leather, otherwise I would have gone with the Sport Limited, cause a Sport Premium is next to impossible to find around here.

Base price including destination was 21,500ish.
    Out the door with tax, title and fees was 22,500ish.

I felt I could have negotiated the car down another $500 AT LEAST or had something else thrown, but I needed a car ASAP and I had (still have) a cold, and I wanted the apparently rare Sport Premium with a cloth black interior. I honestly was about to pay the price advertised but wanted to knock of a few hundred for my ego's sake.
    You were right about the $500. I got almost the exact car excerpt for the rear seat back protectors for $22k out the door. Also had the dealer throw 3 years of service.

I tried to get the aero cross bar set too but they wouldn't budge. I leased my car but am quickly falling in love with it. Although the pickup and stock radio leave much to be desired.

Would anyone confirm if I were to install a sun if that voids any warranties?
  • catspawzcatspawz Member Posts: 3
    Ha at least I wasn't far off the mark. Though my time, patience, And the rarity of that color more than made up for the extra 500.
  • chuckywangchuckywang Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my factory order 2013 Impreza Sport Limited - Satin White

Base price: $21362 ($1200 below invoice)
    Autodim Mirror/Compass/Homelink: Included
    All Weather Mats: $46 (invoice)
    Rear bumper applique: $59 (invoice)
    Doc fee: $161.39
    Tax: $1570
    New title/plates: $219

Total OTD: $23417.39
  • randy50randy50 Member Posts: 15
    ChuckyWang,
    I am also in the market for 2013 Impreza Sport Limited .Can you please share Dealership information.BTW i am in N.Virginia and looking same kind of car also waiting for CIVIC 2013 design. :surprise:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns the latest model Subaru Impreza or Ford C-Max, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email [email protected] no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• impreza596110impreza596110 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2013 Impreza Sport Premium in Crystal Black Silica with the Ivory interior. I originally wanted the Dark Grey Metallic but did not want to wait 8-12 weeks to order one. I must say that the black exterior looks SHARP!

I opted for the CVT, rear roof spoiler, and popular package #1 (Homelink/Auto Dim Mirror, All-weather mats, cargo tray, rear seatback protectors, and rear bumper applique)

The MSRP was $23,395

Sales price: $22,980 ($415 off MSRP).
    License, Title , & Reg. Fees: $110
    WA Sales Tax: $1705.38 (which is less than 8.6%...oh well, not my problem!)
    Document Fee: $150

Total: $24,945.38
    Trade-in: $3150

Total OTD: $21,795.38

Could I have bought it for less? Maybe. At the end though, I feel good and now have a brand new car sitting in my driveway! I love it!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, nice ride!
  • dlins13dlins13 Member Posts: 9
    Hey all -

I'm looking to buy a sport limited which are in very short supply in my area, and I just found out my company has the VIP program. Seems like people are getting at least *some* discount off invoice, but I'm wondering if that's just the posts I've happened read.

Anyone have a feel for whether it's worth trying to negotiate people down, or just pull the trigger on invoice and get what's available now so I don't have to wait 4 months?

Thanks!
  • jgedmundsjgedmunds Member Posts: 3
    Bought couple of days back.

2013 Subaru Impreza Prem 4-door Automatic
    + All Weather Pkg (Heated Seats, Heated Side Mirrors, Deicer wipers)
    + All Weather Mats
    + Destination

Sticker Price on Car: $21,700
    Bought For: $20,150

Additional: State Tax + Dealer Conveyance + DMV Reg Fee
  • runfirstrunfirst Member Posts: 1
    Just got my new 2013 Impreza A/T base model, OTD $19,440.
    MSRP:19665
    Invoice:17948
    Tax: 1261.36
    Doc Fee:231.55
    Total OTD:19440.91
    Hope this helps.
    Merry X-mas and Happy New Year~
    Congrats to both of you. Seems like so little for a great all-weather ride.
  • sd70sd70 Member Posts: 9
    Hi All:

I'm considering replacing my 2001 Forester L with a 2013 Impreza Sport Limited. My Forester has served me well and I'm reluctant to let it go, but I think its time.

I've been lurking on the threads for a couple of weeks and have seen some forum members getting prices as low as $1,000 under invoice.

My plan is to do what I did over 12.5 years ago... email all Subaru dealers within a 25 mile radius and simply ask them to quote me a their best price on the Impreza and options I'm looking for. I also plan to order my Impreza since it seems dealers are more willing to provide good pricing on orders when floor stock is limited (I also get exactly what I want).

My questions are:
    Is this still a good strategy 12.5 years later?
    Is Edmunds still the best source for obtaining invoice price information? Any other sources?
    Any other tips?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm in no rush as my Forester is still running well, but thought I'd get this process going.
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    @SD70, yes I think emailing a group of dealers is the best way to start. KBB and Edmonds are the most popular pricing guides. When I shop for a new car, I email within 100 miles, and I live in a metro area of 3 million people, so I hit maybe 15 dealers or so. You will eventually find a dealer that sells at or near invoice. However your trade in will sort of mess all that up because the dealer you go to will be the one who costs you the least amount of net cash out of your pocket. In the end, the dealer I used was only 10 miles from my house because I negotiated the lowest net cash deal with him. The cheapest car however was at a dealer 100 miles from me, but he didn't give me as much for the trade in. IGNORE the people here saying they got a car for $1200 UNDER invoice because dealers can, and do, play with that number to fool you. Those buyers didn't ask about hidden dealer rebates, incentives, etc from the factory that don't get passed to the customer. No dealer is losing money on a car---and I mean NO dealer does that. I use to be a CPA on staff at a couple of large auto dealers, so I'm aware of the game they play. I narrow all my emailed dealers down to 3 or so and then I start making phone calls. For me, the deal is done with just one visit---the one where they give me a final price for my trade. I actually have a preliminary price from them BEFORE I go there. That's it. Be sure you know the msrp and the cost before you start emailing so you can bargain intelligently.
  • sd70sd70 Member Posts: 9
    @fred: Thanks for the reply. What you describe sounds very similar to what I experienced back in 2000. Three of the five dealers I emailed offered me invoice right off the bat. When I got to the dealership, they tried to add a dealer prep fee, which I declined to pay. It was all wrapped up in about one half hour. It was at the end of the month, at the end of the day just before a summer holiday weekend. I could tell everyone was itching to get out of there. Pretty painless.

I didn't have a trade-in as I planned to sell my other car privately. I may opt to sell my Forester privately again since the demand for used Foresters seems to be strong and I'll be paying cash for my new one. It depends on what they offer for my trade in, but I'm not sure I want to complicate the process with a trade in.... we will see.

It sounds like things aren't too much different than they were almost 13 years ago.

Since you appear to have some inside information from having worked in the industry, what do you think is feasible amount to shoot for under invoice if I factory order the car? Also, would the dealer be willing to negotiate the price of a trade in separate from the purchase price of the new car?

Thanks for your time.
  • analyticmananalyticman Member Posts: 1
    congrats. where do you live.
  • ericlau01ericlau01 Member Posts: 15
    Picked up 2013 Subaru Impreza Sports Limited last weekend. Emailed several dealers to find out how much they'd take off from MSRP by going through the internet sales manager. They can do $1400 off MSRP.

Since I talked with an actual sales person the night before, thought it'd be right to go back to him and tell him to take $1400 off MSRP. If you are firm with them saying another dealer is going to do $1400 off, they are likely to match it.

2013 Subaru Impreza Sports Limited Satin White with
    All season floor mats
    Rear seat protector
    Cargo tray
    Cargo nets (stuff I don't need)
    Rear bumper applique
    Aero mud flaps-splash guard

$23188 after $1400 off MSRP.

Should have also negotiated for auto dimming mirror with compass.

Happy with this deal. $23k for AWD that gets ~32mpg.
    There's a small chance I may buy the exact same car, even down to the color. Lemme know how you like it.
  • beccasmebeccasme Member Posts: 1
    May I ask how you got such a good deal? They're trying to get me for $24k OTD on a sports premium. Not a good price in my opinion.
    Just to clarify, the price was $23188+tax/license/fees. OTD was ~$25k. So $24k for Sports Premium sounds about right. See if you can squeeze them some more. But then they'd play the guilt trip and make you look cheap.

One beef I had was that they said Subaru of America Finance will not accept credit card as form of downpayment. I've bought BMW, MBZ, Mini using credit card as downpayment to take advantage of frequent flier miles.

So if anyone had recently paid downpayment with a credit card, please let me know. Then I'll go back and say LIAR and reflect that in the survey.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited February 2013
    Nice ride. :)

The only items I would add are the sports grille and navigation with Starlink/Aha.

The sports grille is just eye candy, but it looks so much better than the stock grille. Navigation is debatable for some folks here, but it's something I want. Starlink/Aha will be part of navigation, but that means waiting till this summer when the 2014 Imprezas arrive.

http://wot.motortrend.com/subaru-introduces-starlink-infotainment-system-with-ah- - - a-on-2014-forester-311237.html

Bob
  • krellu7421krellu7421 Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2013
    Picked up last week.Dark grey metallic,moonroof/nav.,all weather floor mats,cargo net rear,
    splash guards,rear bumper applique,roof spoiler,body side molding,auto-dimming mirror/compass and wheel locks.MSRP $26,725 Paid 25,650.

So far I am very pleased with my car,although only have approx.100 miles. I am in New York.
    Congrats, I believe that is fully loaded.
    I cannot believed I was lied to. A co-worker bought a WRX several weeks after I got mine, and he paid downpayment with his credit card.

My dealer said it was Subaru of America Financing that will not accept credit card as form of downpayment. What a BS.

As payback, I gave them all 1's in their stupid survey.

E
    edited March 2013
    Usually they let you pay up to a certain amount on a CC, but it may depend on your credit score.

They let me charge $2000 but I was Tier I, which was nice because I have the Chase Subaru card and immediately got $60 credit.
  • tallulah1tallulah1 Member Posts: 2
    How do I compare prices???

Dealer told me MSRP, but does that include things like destination charge? Is the MSRP a valid place to start when there are all these things added and subtracted down the line?

What's a reasonable amount to get off the MSRP?

Unfortunately they all seem to have a handful of options that I don't really want. Is the auto-dim mirror with a compass really worth $200? Does anyone really use a compass?

Then after "discounting" they add in a whopping $499 document fee in addition to $30 DMV and tax. What's that document fee all about? Can't we just call a spade a spade and not pretend I'm getting a big discount when it gets counteracted by this fee?

Thanks for any input. I don't think I'm a very savvy buyer but that's why I'm here.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Saw a 5 door in a pearl white color at the Welington Mall last week and it was a real beauty! Had a slush box which I think was a CVT which is how I'd buy one. The seats looked to have nice grippy cloth and am wondering how good the tranny works as not all CVT's are the same and from what I've heard, the newer ones seem to be a bit better than the one like my kid has in her '09 Versa. It ain't bad but one can tell it's not a regular automatic. The 5 door looked to be the perfect compact size, figuring around the 180" length, which is just about perfect for me. Don't see that many Subies down south here and the mileage figures weren't stellar either but I just liked the look of the car. And I do like a hatch as compared to a regular sedan for the added versatility.
    Is it fair to say that a regular sedan would be closer to the $21k price point? Am already thinking about my next purchase though that won't be for a few years down the pike but am always looking. What's the warranty like on Subies and are they as reliable as the Honda/Toyota/Nissan products that we usually purchase?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

It would be on my short list for a replacement vehicle, too.

My wife loves her Forester.

Try this - go to Fitzmall.com, they have a Subaru dealer and show no-haggle pricing right on their web site. Click Search Inventory, then fill out the form (New, Subaru, Impreza sedan - they have 14 in stock). $19 to $24k price range.

The sweet spot may be the Premium model with the all weather package, you get heated seats/mirrors and a wiper de-icer and pay very little - $20,833 for a silver one right now.

That seems to hit your target price.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Absolutely does...I was thinking $20k plus whatever a 10 to 11 year old Civic LX will bring...hopefully I'll be around 65k or so by that time. That gives me a bunch of vehicles to choose from and I can even go cpo if the right vehicle peaks my interest. but if bought used, I'd have to keep the mileage around the 15k to 20k point as still want a good amount of warranty left just in case. Adding this variable to the mix would just add to the number of possible candidates to choose from...a good thing really. I might decide to go outside my comfort zone here and do something really unexpected for the right vehicle at the right price point. One never knows and the fun part is finding the right one that occupies my side of the garage.

Gotta go...have to be at work at 5:30 to move some iron from Miami to West Palm beach for Sixt. No problem!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)