Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sillhouezsillhouez Member Posts: 6
    Hello! I am at the pricing stage of purchasing an 08 Outback 2.5i LL Bean with Navigation system and VDC in Los Angeles. I am looking for Black exterior, but they seem to be rare here, for some reason. In fact I was told by a dealer that there is only in the state of California, which sounds a bit fishy. Anyway, I have been quoted the following: $28,585 invoice price, less a "manager's special" deal of $200 below invoice and rebate of $1,000, making the total with tax & title about $30,172. Does this seem like a fair price? I would appreciate any feedback. thanks!
    I'm sorry, milem, I didn't mean to post on top of your message. I'm new to the boards--rookie mistake!
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Sillhouz, you don't have to apologive, I'm also new in this forum...

I'm not really interested in the Base Model, I'm more interested in the negociations that took place between Wantrx and the salesperson, because from my research, he /she got a Really good deal !
    Hello Sillhouez, I'm looking into the 2.5 i or 2.5 i LLBean +nav+vdc. Would you mind breaking your sale price for me without the taxes and tiile. I thought the invoice price on this LLBean was around 25 788 $ including destination charges.... Is your quote really for the 2.5 i LLBean or the 2.5 i Limited LLBean ?
    Bolderrider, I'm about to answer back to my dealer for a 2.5 i LL Bean + VDC, and I'd like to understand more the deal you had with your car, just to see if I can get a sale price as good as yours, everything considering...

Are you saying the msrp + destination was "29500" ? What was the invoice price (with or without the options) ?
    What did you pay for the remote + mirror etc ?
    Can you give me some insight on HOW you got your sale price +- 5000 $ less the msrp ?
    Thanks. :)
    Milem, I think it actually is the 2.5i Limited LL Bean, because that price includes what they call the "Limited with VDC Package" for an extra $3,000. So, the MSRP on the Subaru website is $26,295, plus $3,000 for the Limited Pkg, plus $1,000 for automatic, plus a few options bringing the total to about $31,000. Since I am a Costco member I requested that price, which they said was Invoice plus $300. (strangely, at another dealer, the Costco price for the 2.5i Limited [non-LL Bean edition] was AT invoice.) This brought the price to $28,785. The dealer's "special offer" was $200 below invoice, so, $28,585, less the factory rebate of $1,000. So, I am looking at $27,585 plus tax and title.

Does that help?

Thanks again!
  • hexhex Member Posts: 1
    I don't know how good of a deal I got, but I like how the car drives and my wife like the color. There is only two dealers in Charlotte, NC, so my choice is rather limited. Here's the price I paid for other's benefit.

MSRP 25,660, paid $22925 after the $1000 Rebate.

It's about $200 below Invoice, and $2700 below MSRP.

Basic 2.5i Automatic with a few convenience options (Auto Dim lights and Rubber Floor mat, etc).
  • wantrx330wantrx330 Member Posts: 26
    $22925 Is this just a car price or out the door price?
    Hello,

I made my homework, read a LOT of posts on different forums, and I'm wondering what would be a good deal before answering to my dealer (long distance negociations) ?

The invoice price for an 2.5 i LLBean + VDC+ Automatic would be around 25 788 $ (ca pricing) including destination.

At this point, he's offering me 24 999 $ (after the factory rebate of 1 000 $).

Thanks for your help !
  • bystander6bystander6 Member Posts: 16
    Hi, milem:

I am looking for the same car. Please update how everything goes. Thanks.
  • overcotovercot Member Posts: 5
    How come all these offers I'm seeing are so way below edmund's TMV and cars.com "smartprice" (or whatever they call it)? I mean 700 below dealer invoice, before rebates? Wow...
  • theotherone1theotherone1 Member Posts: 9
    Manual 2.5i added: all weather mats, mirror,compass w/homelink, rear cargo net, arm rest extension, they threw in pinstriping w/ rubber trim on doors/wheel wells... Final Price after rebate 21,448 (BEFORE tax/licence Seattle Area)...
    depends on the model what is moving, how desperate the dealer needs a "unit" what he is willing to give up from the holdback...
    Hello Theotherone,

Could you please break your sale price for me ?
    Invoice - rebate + options ...

From the price sheet I have in hand, the invoice price for a 2.5 i manual would have been either 22 833 (fed pricing) or 23 040 (ca pricing) ?

Did they give you all the options for free (all weather mats, mirror,compass w/homelink, rear cargo net, arm rest extension) ??

Thanks!
    theotherone1: Also, was that a 2008 or 2007? In the new england area, the invoice price includes the $200 CA emissions requirement and a $300 distributor ship charge -- probably an advertising fee of some sorts.

I just purchased a 2008 outback 2.5i Ltd w/VDC for $400 over this particular dealer's invoice, before rebate (-$1000), doc fee (+$249), and TTL (+$$$). The price was basically exactly TMV/cars.com target. Oh well. I just don't buy cars often enough to get good at this. :(

What are the rules about dealer invoices anyway? What is to prevent them from inflating the invoice from the distributor?
    Hello,

For those who just bought a 2008 Subaru, can you give me some info about your own experience in the negociation process that would help me getting a good deal .

I should answer back to my dealer to get things moving(long distance negociation)...

Thanks for your help !
    They threw in the options at no charge all of them, since they were on the car already (We asked for the mats/cargo net) Rebate here until today was $1000 Msrp I can't remeber offhand was 24,600 or so Invoice price sounds right.(the msrp and invoice should be similar I would think all over except maybe destination charge Here in Seattle $695) We got an internet rep who last few days of the month just wanted to get a sale He told us that the car cost him after the holdback ( a sort of dealer cashout from Subaru around 3% usually) 20,900, so he made a little over 500 on us although I did not see paperwork to confirm this price. We got quotes from several dealers and kept trying to beat one with the other...This process was easy by email over 3 days, got the lowest price where no one else would bargain walked in and literally within 1 hour drove out withe car We paid cash 3500 and the rest we put on our card for airmiles...(we did haved to go back and forth for them to let us charge that although there is noi reason that you can't other than the dealer may object to paying the 2% or whatever card fee At 1.5 -2cents a mile that's another 3-400 you get...Hope this helps
    2008...Had no emissions charge Had a 695 destination charge
    Your price may be very good in fact...I don't believe there are ANY rules about invoice Cdertain models you're lucky to get within thousands of the invoice... VDC models are much more in demand than 2.5i manuals I'd guess hence less rebate, and rooom to bargain...Even if you slightly overpaid, In say 7 years or so of driving what's the cost? 5-10 bucks a month?-..Years ago when I bought my Forester 140,000 miles and still great, no way could I get ANY dealer within 700 of the invoice...In demand and extremely limited supply here (edited for poor typing and spelling LOL)
    Did you purchase yet? If there was a rebate it ended yesterday...May be worth waiting to get 1000 off...But in any case I would first email sevral dealers in your zip Then change zips say within 20-30 miles somewhere you'd be willing to drive to to buy the car. Take your lowest bids and start emailing the other dealers by asking them how much and how they can BEAT the bid either by cash off or options added free...Never mention financing/trade-in...You will probably very quickly get a good idea within a couple of hundred dollars of what you will pay after a few rounds of emails..at least that is what I did...Hope this helps
    Hello Theotherone,

I haven't purchase my car yet, it will either be a 2.5i, 2.5i LLbean + vdc or 2.5i ltd + vdc...
    I'm waiting for a quote on the ltd, I was afraid to give my own price to the dealer before having made my mind on the car (and done my homework on this forum!).
    I got some quotes from some dealers but I haven't tried to let them beat the best quote I go. Do you simply write them and give them the quote you got and asked them if they can beat it ?

Thanks for your help!
    Hi milem, i don't know if it's any help but we reached our choice like this: must have VDC, so that ruled out 2.5i, must have sunroof, so that also ruled out 2.5i, must have dark interior, so that ruled out any LLBean styles, must have leather, don't care about Nav, so that strongly suggested Ltd. So that's what we ended up with: 2.5i auto LTD w/ VDC. It's a sweet ride...
    Never tell the dealer what you are willing to pay for it...And definitely email other dealers with a detailed description of the car and options you want, and ask them to give you a better price. When you get that, as in our case we went into a dealershipo ready to buy and asked for yet another $100 off in options.This was the same dealership we had purchased 2 cars from.When he refused we got up and left.We went back by email to another dealer and he was ready to deal. He was straight with us that"hey here's my cost after holdback and i want to make this much" and the final price was better than anyone's. Unfortunately the rebate period is over in the 2.5i that was $1000. I don't know if there are rebates in your state, but if you are in no rush maybe you should wait for it, or ask the dealers online what you can get in lieu of that.dEALERS BSUPPOSEDLY ARE RELUCTANT TO TALK ABOUT HOLDBACKS BUT REMEMBER THEY MAKE 3-4% TYPICALLY ON THE FULL MSRP...yOU CAN FIND REBATES TO YOU/DEALER AND HOLDBACKS ON THIS SITE...tHERE ARE OTHER MANUFACTURERS INCENTIVES LIKE SALES INCENTIVES THAT ARE HARDER TO FIND Hope that helps (woops cap locks on by mistake)
    Milem I agree with overcot, get the features you want and can afford..after years of driving the extra money will really not matter Overcot, thaqt is a beautiful car wish I had that extra K LOL Enjoy
    Theotherone1, glad to hear you have a Forester with that many miles on it. We have two VWs with similar miles that are bankrupting us with maintenance and repairs and hope our Subaru experience will be better. Couldn't get anything for the VWs at trade so we might have to drive them until they explode.
    Thanks for the replies...
    You were writting about other rebates "...You can find rebates to you/dealer and holdbacks on this site...there are other manufacturers incentives like sales incentives that are harder to find..." Can you be more precise ?

The only rebates I found are the factory rebate and whatever the dealer wants to give you from his holdback...

By the way, even though the "1000 $" rebate period has expired, will it come back in August ? Isn't there always a factory rebate ??
    Thanks !
    The Edmunds site lists rebates to you the dealer and holdbacks...I have no idea when customer rebates happen...if the dealer is willng to negotiate his factory rebate/holdback then you probably have in the neighborhood of 2000 to play with Most dealers will be happy to maybe split that with you? so you can get 1000 off tmv or maybe off the invoice if you bargain Again, it depends on the [poularity of the car...You'll know a price when you hit a wall with all dealers...By all means though, if you can wait for the customer rebate, then you start saving quite a bit...
    The wife had a Legacy Outback 1995 4 door wagon with 177,000 on it It's parked in our driveway, we'll probably give it to her mom...It runs great has some very slight oil seepage, nothing of consequence and has cost very little in maintenace in the past 2-3 years...All I've done is oil changes and 30,000's mile (multiples) tuneups...Great car also...They run forever it seems.I am now jealous of her car I want a new one too!!! We ski Whistler BC a lot, notorious for severe snow/road conditions and I LITERALLY went by I don't know how many vehicles in an unbelievable storm Jan 07 in the Forester...The car is amazing...I replaced the tires with siped top of the line Toyo Ultras...Now looking forward to road trips in the Outback!
  • dlhansondlhanson Member Posts: 6
    We are about to purchase a basic Outback 2.5i automatic. We are waiting for one to be delivered to the dealer and for an August rebate. They didn't have one without added options in July. The dealer agreed to invoice (he gets all the holdback) and no additional charges (out the door for invoice plus taxes). We learned that we couldn't have one shipped from another dealer because then that other dealer would get the holdback instead of our dealer (and he didn't want to sell for no profit).
    Read today on subaru.com(wasn't there yesterday), you must write your zip code to know if there's special deals in your area: "Now through September 4, 2007 - 08 OUTBACK models are available with Customer Cash. Must take delivery from dealer stock by September 4, 2007... ". The $1 000 "Customer cash" rebate is still there ! :D
    Do you have any quotes for the 2.5 i LTD + VDC you can share with me ?
    milem: the Subaru model number for the 2.5i LTD + VDC is "8DG". I would go to www.fitzmall.com, and look up that model number. Fitzmall is apparently legit (I'm not in MD so I don't know first hand). If I had to do it again I would start negotiations at the fitzmall price, which is amazingly low. I paid 26652 in New England (that's with destination, minus rebate), TTL was extra. The only option on the car was the auto-dimming mirror. It's also CA emissions, which adds to the price.

This is a site has a good overview of what are the model numbers mean:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2008.html

Hope this helps. Depending on where you are in the country you should get a much better deal than I got. Let us know how it turns out.
  • bflash98bflash98 Member Posts: 6
    2008 Outback Limited 2.5i LTD + VDC + auto dimming/compass/homelink in the two tone navy blue/metallic with tan interior my last quote was $500 below invoice of 26,672 - 500 = 26,172 - 1000 rebate = 25,172 + TTL.

This is in the seattle washington area. I'm hoping to buy my car today expecting 700 below invoice
    Have you gotten this quote after many negociations OR is this quote the first one you received from this dealer ?

As for now, I received 2 quotes from 2 different dealers and their quotes are higher than yours after rebates and before taxes,fees, etc: 25 822 and 25 795 !

I wonder what I'll say/write to get their quotes lower... Any suggestions ??
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Is this from Carter?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I will give details once I close the deal.
  • ekevlar11ekevlar11 Member Posts: 2
    Long post - but I wanted to get you the whole negotiation/price story to help anyone out there.

Specs: 2008 Subaru Outback:
    2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A), Quartz metallic silver, black interior
    Invoice: $26,613 (dealer)
    Destination charge: $645 (Edmunds)
    MSRP: $28523 (Edmunds)
    TMV: $26605 (Edmunds)
    Addl. options: Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass $183 (Edmunds)

Price paid: $25,613 plus free window tinting ($200-400?) plus cost only on all additional accessories I purchase in the next year

Ok, I've got to admit that I've been a lurker to the website for about a month. Reading reviews, prices, etc. I had to decide between the Mazda 6 and the Outback. Ultimately I chose the Outback 2008 Subaru Outback. I appreciate everyone's input on this website for 1) the knowledge of differences between the vehicles and 2) how to negotiate the best price.

I've spent about two weeks researching - but I spent all day yesterday researching and then negotiating. I think it was worth the time invested. Not sure I got rock-bottom price, but I think I came pretty darn close.

So, now for the full story. I had originally planned on buying the 2.5i - just above the basic model. I did dealer quotes through Edmunds and got responses for that vehicle that were at $19990 for the model. So, I asked for accessories at cost and got that. When we came down to final decisions between two dealerships, one appeared to give up and didn't call me back. My guess is they wanted to see how much I wanted the vehicle...and call them and they could negotiate back up again.

Oh, yeah, they kept asking me to come to the dealership...but I wasn't going to fall for that one till I had finished up the primary negotiations from the comfort of my home. But, other than a little pushiness to get me in, the internet sales managers were pleasant, funny, direct and helpful.

Ok, so I was set on one dealer. They pulled the vehicle I wanted from their inventory. I drove over and met with the rep. I took about a minute to look at the vehicle and realized they had pulled a basic model. I don't think they tried to pull a bait and switch as the rep looked totally confused and then apologetic and then almost went to tears as she realized this was probably a deal breaker based on my earlier negotiations. So, I got pissed and I was upset over the drive (1 hr) and this major problem.

They checked for the model I wanted, they had one on the lot, but not the right colors. They then switched reps...as I was still very upset. But, I calmed down, realized I still had the tools I needed and pressed on.

They stated multiple times, how can we earn your business. I really wanted the leather, upgraded Limited 2.5i w/VDC package, but didn't feel I could negotiate it down to where I wanted. But I dove in. I looked at one of the Limiteds and made my decision to play some more hardball. I said I wanted to see the invoice. They brought it out for the vehicle I wanted. I sent the rep away, went and checked on Edmunds on my Blackberry for TMV and invoice for the version. I said I wanted invoice price. They said yes. Then I said I wanted the $1000 rebate available on the model. They said yes. Then I said I still wanted the accessories at cost. They said yes. Finally, I requested free window tinting. They said yes. I obviously don't know how much they kept on holdback, or destination fees from the invoice but I pressed and got everything I wanted and then some.

The rest of the deal took time to build the paperwork, detail the car, etc., etc.

Ultimately I am happy. Although they made a mistake, they did make the situation right...which I feel turned to my advantage. I was happy with the sales people and will recommend them and the dealership to others (see, I do believe it was a mistake). Again, I'm not sure what profit the dealer made and I'm not too concerned. They do need to make a profit...it costs money to have the vehicles on the lot, pay the salespersons, shipping, advertising, etc., etc. And this is America - capitalism. But that doesn't mean you can't fight for your right as a consumer.

Note: try to do the negotiation from home and confirm, confirm, confirm. Try to get everything negotiated before you go in. That way, they don't have you on lock down. My situation went well because I could pull up TMV and invoice on Edmunds through my Blackberry and then immediately compare. If you don't have a Blackberry and they switch vehicles on you...I would leave and engage in negotiations at a later point from home. Basically restart the whole process. And look around - you don't have to buy in your hometown (although that helps your hometown tax base) - I contemplated looking at Seattle (4 hours) if I could get a better deal.

Thanks again to all. And I hope this helps you. Any questions, just post a reply.

The moonroof is great!
  • lrossnmlrossnm Member Posts: 36
    Spokane:

Looks like you did well. Good negotiation !
    Did the $25,613 include the $1000 cash back ?
    I want to trade my '05 Outback for an '08 LTD.
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I have been sending out pricing requests for the XT Limited 5-speed. Just wanted to give everyone an idea- in case anyone else is in the market for one.

The pricing is running just about $28,000 for this manual model. If anyone else has any experience with the XT, please post.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Yes, as written, it does.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    This is a 2008 Outback 2.5i VDC limited with two options.
    -Auto Compass/Homelink/Dimming Mirror
    -All weather mats
    In the two tone blue/silver exterior and tan leather interior.

Invoice 26,672
    Purchase price $500 below invoice
    Customer Rebate 1000
    Final Price: 25,172 + TTL

We drove a whole bunch of different cars and decided on the subaru outback.

First I was quoted the Costco price of $500 above invoice at Carter. On Thursday

Below events happened on Friday:
    I used the fightingchance website and purchase their $40 pricing information packet.

The report showed me that people were getting about $600 below invoice in my area so I knew I could do better.

I called the kirkland dealership and they were going to do -$300 below invoice.

I called the carter dealership and told them that kirkland would do $500 below invoice (Yes White Lie). Carter said They could do $500 below but it would be a different color. They did not have the colors that we wanted so if they traded for one my price would be the invoice price. This is late friday and I told them I would call in the morning.

On saturday I called carter and said that I'm leaning to going somewhere else for $500 below invoice. The sales agent said give me a few minutes and let me talk to the head manager person.

I received a call an hour later that we had a deal. They would bring in the car in the color that I wanted and would give it to us for $500 below invoice.

I probably could have gone to kirkland or bellevue and got the car for $700 below invoice. Both kirkland and bellevue said they would beat whatever carter's price was.

In the end we had the car we wanted in the color we wanted at a price I could be happy with. Using the phone made it easier to deal with the people.
    Hey I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the extended warrantys.

Did anyone buy one?

I believe they had the 6 year / 80k miles and the 7year/100k mileage available.

I was qouted 1240 for the 6 year at the dealership but I did not buy it?

I have heard that I will receive some offers in the mail to buy the warranty as was wondering if anyone else has received this offers and what the cost was.

Thanks,
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You can shop on-line here:

http://www.moyersubaru.com/en_US/

They're advertising 10% off right now, too.

My wife has one on her Legacy, 7/100 Gold. We like that roadside assistance is included for the duration.
  • bystander6bystander6 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks so much for the post. I am looking to buy the same model in Puget Sound area soon. It is very helpful. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the link. I'm glad I found this forum. Love saving money.
    You're welcome.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    interesting your costco price was 500 over invoice, I just got a quote for a costco price 400 under invoice in the Chicago area for a 8DG also
    I think the "Costco Price" is something of a gimmick and a moving target. When then were trying to sell me the warranty and I said 1440 was too expensive. They asked if I was a member of the costco program and then the price was 1240. They already new I was a member.

They are just trying to make some money
  • ekevlar11ekevlar11 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the wait on the reply. Yes, the $25,613 included the $1000 cash back. So the $25,613 was the total not including taxes and licensing.
  • pglowaczpglowacz Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    Got a new Subaru 2007 2.5i for $18445 + Tax!
    Is that a good Deal ?
    Heck yeah. For an Outback?

They didn't dip below $20k until recently, it seems.