Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• goldringgoldring Member Posts: 2
    Is there much difference between the XT seats and the L.L. Bean seats. Does one have nicer leather than the other. The local Subaru dealer near me has neither in stock for me to see.
  • alptruamalptruam Member Posts: 1
    There is a 2007 Outback LL Bean w/ VDC for 22,300 in NJ that has 11,000 miles on it. It is a manufacturer demo vehicle and the manager told me the folks Subaru gives demo cars out to have to take good care of them otherwise they won't be eligible for future demo cars. Carfax looks fine but doesn't have any details for when it was a manf demo. Any thoughts on whether or not I should go for it? What specifically is a manufacturer demo car?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I got a 92 Legacy demo, its what they give the admin people at the factory (or HQ) to drive around in. they are supposedly very well looked after while with SOA. They are not abused unlike rentals or even dealer test cars. They usually keep it for about a year and then sell it to dealers. Had no problems with the one I got, had 10K on it when I got it and I sold it at 90K but its over 200K now according to the present owner.
  • winterdwinterd Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what the new incentives for the Outback are starting this month???
    Now looking in NY state for my Outback2.5Ltd
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    go to subaru.com and click on Shopping tools > See special offers.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    With that many miles it has to be sold as used, at least in my state. The mileage limit for a demo is usually much lower, I think 5k or even less.
  • tenmilertenmiler Member Posts: 26
    I'm trying to finalize a deal on a leased '08. Just wondering if my dealer is in the ballpark:
    This is for an Outback XT/VDC/Nav:

Manual- 36 mths = $465 + city tax
    39 mths = $455 + city tax

Automatic- add $20 to @ of the payments above

36 mth= .53 residual and .00170 MF

39 mth= .51 residual and .00170 MF
    if you're not putting any cash down - it sounds about right..
    Just been offered for $599 complete rust/interior/exterior protection with 10 and 5 year coverage with Auto Armor by ecp inc.
    Anyone have anything positive to say about the process??
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    never buy aftermarket "protection " packages. they aren't worth it and can void your factory warranty if not applied properly esp the rust protection (some packages will have them drill holes into sealed structures to spray the inside which isn't what the manufacturer wants and the undercoating can cause more problems than they help if not applied properly as they may trap moisture).The exterior stuff you can do with a once or twice a year wax job and a can of Scotchgard is as good as any of their interior stuff. Plus a lot of these things , at least for the rust warranty, require annual inspections, assuming the place to do it is still around in a few years.
    All in all, unless you want to help with the guys boat payment or send his kid to college, forget it, You are better off spending that money on a mechanical extended warranty.
  • yellow_dogyellow_dog Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just completed a purchase on a new 2007 (the last one on the lot) Subaru Outback 2.5i. The added options (not our choice) were the shock sensor and the homelink mirror.

MSRP was $25801 including the $625 transport fee.
    Offered price: $22903 before rebate (included $500 discount for being a 2007)
    Rebate: ($1500)
    Price with rebate: $21,403
    Trade-in (1997 Outback Sport with 112k miles): ($2700)
    Documentation fee: $354 (this was high compared to other quotes)
    Mass. Tax: $935.15
    Take home price:$20,057.15.

We also qualified for 1.9% financing over 24 months.

Just for comparison, we had a take home price quote of $20,352.75 for a 2008 2.5i with no extras (MSRP of $25,440). We liked the color (Newport Blue with ivory interior for our yellow dog :blush: ) of the available 2007 better, otherwise I think the 2008's are a better deal.

The process was straightforward, honest, and actually pleasant! No high-sales pressure tactics. I highly recommend the dealer (Long Subaru in Webster, MA) and highly recommend getting quotes from multiple dealers through the internet.
  • roymanroyman Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering leasing an '08 Outback 2.5i Limited and would like some opinions as to what a fair monthly payment would be with the following terms.

MSRP $28,616
    36 months
    12k / year
    $0 Down payment

Teir 1 credit
    Michigan dealership

Nothing has been negotiated as of yet. Only inital salesperson contact and test drive complete. Competition should be a factor; similar vehicles exist in inventory at 3 local dealers.

I've surmised from other postings that there is $1,000 incentive on the vehicle and quite a bit (approx. $1,900) of differential between Invoice and sticker. Money rates seem to hover around 0.0019 and residual of 58%. But I really don't know if any of this accurate, that's the reason for the post.

Thanks for your consideration.
  • communiquetercommuniqueter Member Posts: 4
    I, too, live in ON looking for either Subaru or Lexus. Somewhere on this thread, Van Bortel was recommended. They are in Rochester. I'm on the MI border, but the dealers I spoke with said they would charge MI State tax even if I was not registering it in MI.

Van Bortel has the "build" option, their internet person responded to say he's sellingl tons to Canadian, does not charge NY State tax.
    I live near London On. and presently in the process of purchasing a Subaru Outback Ltd. from Van Bortel and can confirm there is no State sales tax for Canadians.They deal with many Canadians and handle all the neccessary paperwork, they are a no haggle business and their pricing seems pretty good!
    I was also looking at Mi dealers and was put off by the MI state sales taxes.
    Ouch. I didn't do any tinting... though, I wish the sun roof had some.
    This is an odd question... you have all the numbers, you can generate a monthly payment, so????
  • roymanroyman Member Posts: 3
    I guess what I was looking for was confirmation of whether or not the numbers I am working with are accurate. I really didn't find a forum post deatiling the terms for an identical vehicle. The numbers I gave in my original post were my best guesses from similar posts, like a different model vehicle or same model with a differing package.

So what I'm asking is -
    Is a money factor of 0.0019 accurate? Is MSRP for this vehicle really $1,900 over invoice? Is 'Invoice' a low enough price to pay? What are others being quoted or actually paying?

Thanks again.
    I think you said 36months/36miles - zero down - 08 Limited depending on your options... seems like you should be somewhere roughly around $375-425 per month. That's just a guess.
  • rattlesnake1rattlesnake1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy an 08 xt manual, no other options. From what I can gather 28,500-29,000 is a good price (cash, no financing).

What do others think? Experiences?

Thanks.
  • pdlpsherpdlpsher Member Posts: 4
    Hi There,

You should be able to get $4000 under MSRP including the rebate. I just purchased an '08 3.0 LL Bean w/ Nav over the Thanksgiving weekend for $4400 under MSRP. Initially the dealer and I agreed on a $4k discount over the e-mail. I haggled more in-person and I got a free factory hitch (installed) in addition to the $4k discount. The hitch (installed) has an MSRP of $400. I also received an internet quote from another dealer for $4200 off MSRP for the same car, although they didn't have the color of choice that I wanted. My deal is also finance-free. Good luck on your XT purchase. :)
  • steviemax1steviemax1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi pdlpsher - I'm also looking to purchase an '08 LL Bean (but w/o nav), in the near future. Are you able to disclose the names/locations of the dealers that you obtained the quotes for $4000+ under MSRP ? Thanks in advance. :)
    Where ever you are... get internet pricing first. Don't get physically close to a dealer until you've gotten at least 5 quotes. If you're in Colorado... there is a great dealer north of Denver. (see prior posts in this thread.)
  • mangudmangud Member Posts: 4
    Another one from Colorado looking to buy a Subary LLB with Nav/VDC/Leather. Live close to Flatirons Subaru and Valley Subaru
    is not that far either. I saw some negative experience posts about
    Flatirons and positive references to Valley Subaru.

If I could help it, I would like to buy it either @ Flatirons or Valley.

Want to hear recent Flatirons or Valley buying experience.

Will the incentives and rebates on Subaru get any better ? They had
    much better incentives & rebates last year.

Thanks,
    MG
  • lrossnmlrossnm Member Posts: 36
    I bought a '08 Outback LTD from Valley ( over the internet ) the end of October. The deal I got was good and the delivery problems I had were handled to my satisfaction.
    They also gave me a good trade on my '05 Outback. G.M's name is Bob Taylor.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    They had much better incentives & rebates last year.

They did? I bought a Subaru last year and my memory tells me exactly the opposite. This time last year, rebate was $750... this year? Double that and 2.9% financing. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tenmilertenmiler Member Posts: 26
    I think it depends on which Subaru. the Outback XT for example is only $750, not $1500 rebate.

As for Valley Subaru, I have had mixed results. I tried to get quotes from them, and they would email me daily with different pricing, but never give me everything I needed as far as a complete selling price, residual, mf, etc. on a lease.

Then, after sending email saying (the cliche) "sell regardelss of profit", I wrote back and said 'let's talk'. Heard nothing. May call the Sales manager mentioned above as I too have heaard good things about Valley.

GO on the other hand, was also quite aggressive at first but I've found GO to be just like all the other dealers: They do NOT want to talk numbers other than your monthly. I don't like dealing with people like that.
  • lrossnmlrossnm Member Posts: 36
    I'd call Bob Taylor the GM. He is the only one that handled my issues. None of them at Valley respond to voicemail so talk to him directly!

I don't know if it will help but you can tell him you got his name from Larry in New Mexico. By the way... I love the car !
    That's true - the $1500 does exclude the XT. I checked Edmunds yesterday and the incentive for December is back to $1500 or 2.9% financing. Again, not for XT - I did not check that one.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I'm sorry I haven't looked at this forum thread sooner.

Valley vs. Flatirons. It's interesting because when I was looking for an Outback Limited in the Denver area, I contacted EVERY dealership first through Edmunds "Get Dealer Quotes" and through subaru.com.

I wanted the best deal, as I had no loyalty to anyone.

From that experience, Valley Subaru in Longmont, was the clear-cut winner. Specifically their internet sales manager, was the first to respond, the first to provide ACCURATE and the LOWEST pricing, and ultimately where I purchased the vehicle EXACTLY as discussed before I went to the the showroom. There were no surprises, no hidden nothing. While other dealers were sending me redundant e-mails about what model and color I wanted - Valley gave me pricing including tax. I paid exactly what they told me before I came - and it was the lowest of all the dealers on the front range.

I really thought Flatirons was going to be the winner... but they honestly weren't even in the ballpark... poor response and their pricing was significantly higher than Valley. In fact, I had called the Sales Manager @ Flatirons to convey my disappointment - he apologized, but offered to do nothing.

Hope this information helps. I write this because my history with purchasing used to be horrible... I used to get so emotionally attached to a vehicle, that I would "give in"... now I know better - and the internet makes the process VERY simple. Good luck - share your decision w/ this forum.
    My experience was completely the opposite. The pricing from Valley was accurate within a dollar, when I asked for pricing including sales tax - they sent it to me immediately.

GO Subaru on the other hand was horrible... I gave them the exact same specifications as I gave Valley... GO Subaru kept coming back with "what model, color and options do you want". It was horrible.... 2 months after I made the purchase from Valley, I was still getting e-mails from Go Subaru, after numerous responses that said I was done w/ the buying process. When I finally got pricing, it was signficantly higher than Valley (apples to apples).
  • novice2novice2 Member Posts: 4
    We are thinking about leasing 2008 basic OutBack and so far I cannot get together the numbers.
    Here is what the dealer is telling me for 3-year/ 36,000 miles lease:
    $20,777 - price after $1,500 rebate
    56% - residual value
    0.0017 - money factor
    $279 - monthly payment

My questions are:
    1. Are residual value and money factor relatively fair for this lease?
    2. My calculations of monthly payment give me
    (20777-0.56*20777)/36. = 253.94
    (20777+0.56*20777)*0.0017=55.10
    Total payment = $308.04,
    which is $29 more than he is telling me.

Why is he is undercharging me? And the price of 20,777 for basic with auto transmission is ynder invoice, isn't it?
    So where is the catch? Are they getting a huge dealer rebate or something?
    I would appreciate if carman explain this situation to me.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Multiply your residual percentage by the MSRP, not the selling price., then subtract that number from your selling price to determine total depreciation... then, divide by the monthly term.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    I am doing Internet pricing and this one dealer has been very responsive, not pushy - two other dealers have been a little aggressive borderline rude so I have not asked them to come back with second prices against this one. Frankly if this price is good I'll probably go with it just to encourage good customer treatment - but if I could save 500 + I'll ask the rude guys to play ball.

Outback 2.5 i limited w/VDC and PZEV option = 24,200
    We are in the Boston area, if that matters. Planning to buy by end of month.

Thanks!!!
  • novice2novice2 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the correction!
    Now the monthly payment number becomes closer: $291, though it is still bigger than the quoted one: $279.
    Do the lease parameters look correct for 3-years/36000 miles lease:

Residual value: 56%
    money factor: 0.0017
    ?

Thanks in advance.
    Why is he is undercharging me? And the price of 20,777 for basic with auto transmission is ynder invoice, isn't it?

No, it is exactly invoice. Invoice on the Basic Auto, with no options, is $22,277, so subtract $1500 rebate and you are at $20,777, which is still invoice.
    I am doing Internet pricing and this one dealer has been very responsive, not pushy - two other dealers have been a little aggressive borderline rude so I have not asked them to come back with second prices against this one. Frankly if this price is good I'll probably go with it just to encourage good customer treatment - but if I could save 500 + I'll ask the rude guys to play ball.

Outback 2.5 i limited w/VDC and PZEV option = 24,200
    We are in the Boston area, if that matters. Planning to buy by end of month.

(bump) - anyone???
    I usually use fitzmall.com for a price reference, but they don't sell the PZEV models.

The other no-haggle dealer I'm familiar with is Van Bortel, in NY. They should have them.

Price one and see how it compares to your deal, even ask your dealer to match their price, perhaps.
  • oak23oak23 Member Posts: 2
    $24,200??? That's an amazing deal, esp. compared to NYC dealers. Any options on this Limited? And is it Manual or Auto? 2007 or 2008? If it's a 2007 with manual that might explain the price.

I've been quoted $26,500 on Long Island AFTER the $1250 incentive was applied to a 2008 2.5i Limited w/VDC and PZEV and a couple of options (mirror, armrest, mats).

I think I can get them down to $25,500 at least, but seeing someone with a $24,200 quote in the Northeast makes me rethink my goal.
  • rishiprasadrishiprasad Member Posts: 6
    I agree that 24,200 sounds incredible. Actually too good to be true.

You can do better in NYC. I am currently looking too. Many dealers quoted me much higher but two jersey dealers are quoting me under 25K. One is at 24.6 and change plus 264 doc fee. contact me at risprasa@gmail.com if you want to talk in further detail.
    Yes, that's what he quoted me. Since it was the first quote, I figured I could do better so I called another dealer, who quoted 24,695 and wished me luck with my new car when I quoted him back the 24.2. THe other 2 internet quotes were not impressive, and not particularly nice.

This is in Boston, 2008, 2.5i Automatic, Limited, VDC and PZEV. No additional options (this already has so much more than I've ever had before!!!).

Sounds like this one is the taker!

Oh, and to the person in NYC/NJ, I got my Forester no-haggle through a dealer in Englewood NJ when I lived in Montclair. We wanted a (then new) 03 XS Manual and no one had it, he located it and gave us the best price. A little hiccup on the trade in value but when I showed him the printouts from this site on its value he gave me the $$. I'd recommend emailing them since they are close to NYC.

Thanks all, now I need to convince DH!!

M
  • pdlpsherpdlpsher Member Posts: 4
    Hi Steviemax1,

The dealer where I purchased my 3.0R LL Bean is Larry Miller in Boise. Based on first e-mail response they weren't the lowest in price. I told them another dealer in Utah was offering $4200 off of MSRP. And they responded with a $4000 off. Good luck on your purchase.
  • oak23oak23 Member Posts: 2
    Dules - the $24,200 is with the current cash back incentive of $1250 applied, right?
  • rishiprasadrishiprasad Member Posts: 6
    Just be careful about destination. Some dealers have a habit of specifying the price and then not including destination charge. Or possibly some other garbage fees. MA dealers have high doc fees so he could be getting you there. If I were you I would ask him to take the 24,200 price and give an out the door price. It woiuld be best if he broke it down and gave taxes, doc fee etc.

The best I got in the NY/NJ area is 24,550.
    Yup, here is the response to what other charges I would pay in addition to the 24.2K:

5% tax, 274 for new plates or 253 for transfer plates.
    No other charges

Really, not bad. Especially given the weather we're having (2 hours to go 6 miles this afternoon, bleh!).
  • mangudmangud Member Posts: 4
    Hello:
    On 3.0R LL Bean,

1. What kind of mileage are you getting ? 17/24 is not quite
    good for a midsize wagon

2. How is the noise level ? Is it quite ? I need to
    install a Bluetooth Handsfree car kit.

3. Navigation: Is it good ? I think it does not have
    text to voice capability.

Thanks and I appreciate any responses.

---M
  • masteryodamasteryoda Member Posts: 41
    Hello, I'm in the process of purchasing an off-rental 07 Outback 2.5i. There are a lot of them actually offered in the Denver metro area. Mileage ranges from 10K-25K. Prices range from 18.9K to 23K. What's the price I should offer at the dealer? Is 17.2K a good starting price?

Also, does anybody know where I can get Added Security at invoice price?

Thank!
    Get an e-quote from these guys on the warranty:

http://www.moyersubaru.com/

Make sure to ask if the rental history makes it non-eligible for the factory warranty, though.
  • masteryodamasteryoda Member Posts: 41
    Made the deal yesterday for 07 Outback 2.5i, with 23K miles for 18.3K. We got also Added Security Gold 7years-100K for dealer cost of 1120. Got it at Go Subaru South in Denver.
  • sandman1318sandman1318 Member Posts: 5
    Last month I purchased a new 2008, Legacy Outback 2.5 LTD from a dealership here in Florida. According to the window sticker, I have the standard 3 year/36,000 mile basic warranty. But in last week’s mail I received an “Added Security” certificate, from Subaru, extending my warranty to 3 years/45,000 miles, (whichever occurs first.) It shows that I’ve already paid $246.00 plus tax, for a total of $260.00 and some change.

I’m against buying extended warranties, for most things, with few exceptions. So I called the salesman to ask what he knew about this certificate. He said it probably was “a gift” because Subaru does things like that. (It sounds like a load of bull to me.) He then said if I brought it by the showroom, he'd be able to tell me for sure. So I stopped by there yesterday, showed it to him and he then told me it was indeed a freebie. Not being totally convinced of this, I asked if everyone who buys a new Outback gets this and he replied, “Yes.” I then asked why it shows exactly what I paid, including tax and he said, “They have to document it.” What's also odd, and I told the guy, is that he never once mentioned this while I was trying to decide, whether or not to by the car. If what he's saying is true, it would be an incredible sales tool. He didn't really have an answer for that one. I suppose anything is possible and if this really is at no additional charge, then fine. But I want to be absolutely certain that there wasn’t a “hidden charge,” somewhere, when I bought the car. Furthermore, I do very little driving nowadays and usually put less than 5,000 miles, per year, on the car. So it’s highly unlikely I would ever benefit from the additional 9,000 miles. Unless it truly is thrown in at "no additional charge," I want the money refunded.

I'm hoping some of you other owners, of new Outbacks, can shed some light on this. Did any of you receive this “Added Security” certificate, in the mail, without knowingly paying for the extra coverage? I just received the Subaru “Purchase Experience Survey” and the salesman/dealership keep bothering me to fill it out, give them “high marks” and to then return the survey immediately. But before I do, I want to know beyond any doubt, that I'm not being sold a bill of goods. I would greatly appreciate some feedback ASAP. Thanks.
    Well, you paid what you paid, and they're giving you something extra, so I wouldn't be fighting that.

Call 800-SUBARU3 and ask if indeed your warranty is registered with them.

If not, it's probably a dealer-only package and probably isn't worth much.