Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jamaica77jamaica77 Member Posts: 4
    Hi -

I was just quoted $26,500 for a 2009 2.5i, loaded but w/o nav - can anyone tell me if this is competitive? Looking to go to Subaru after hearing many good things, but trying to validate whether prices are reasonable.

Also, does anyone know if Subaru has a tiered money factor scale for leases, and if so what it would be for the the Alexandria, VA area? I'd also be interested in knowing the depreciation rate if possible for the 09 Outbacks.

Thanks in advance,

JD
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Go ahead and compare to no-haggle dealers like fitzmall.com, see if you can match or beat their prices. They're in the Mid Atlantic, but it's one of the regions with the best pricing, since there are 7 Subaru dealers in this area.

I think Van Bortel in NY also offers no-haggle pricing.

Both would serve as good reference points.
  • marielireuxmarielireux Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm just about to buy a 1995 Subaru Legacy L Wagon for $1200. It has 200k miles, and the only apparent problem is that the driveshaft is noisy (however I did not hear anything when I test drove it).. It is auto, a/c, cruise, pw and 4w drive.
    I'm only staying in the us for a year and want to sell it back before I leave.

Do you think it will be possible?
    How many miles do you think it still can go?

In short, do you think it worth it?

Thanks! :)
    Condition is everything at that age and mileage.

Turn the radio off and drive it with the windows open. If the drivetrain is truly quiet, and the engine leaks no oil, then go for it. You may want to get a mechanic to do a pressure test on the cylinders.
  • sjd_bostonsjd_boston Member Posts: 1
    I just snagged an 08 Outback 2.5i LL Bean Limited with VDC and NAV for 25,500 at Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA it had under 100 miles on it and was considered used.. Subaru had set aside a number of LLB cars to be Exec Demo's. They were never deployed for use. Once they broke the marketing agreement with LLB, they could no longer use the cars are demo's (has something to due with advertising restrictions). Subaru then autioned these cars off to dealers. If you due a search on Yahoo Auto's for used 2008's you will see these at a few dealers with less the 200 miles (sort by mileage). Planet has another 08 Outback 2.5i LLB (non-limited = no leather, but does have NAV) for around 21K.
    Dealer was top notch also. I purchased the car over the phone from Europe. Wife and kids came into Logan and were met by the dealer. They took them to the dealership and they left 20 minutes later in the new car.
    Nice deal, those are loaded to the gills.

Congrats. Noone knows you bought it used except you.

Aren't those $28 grand or so usually?

100 miles? That's crazy!
  • sandycohensandycohen Member Posts: 7
    I am considering leasing a 2008 outlook 2.5 limited. It has about 30 miles on it.

Total capitalized cost 27729 including dest charge, registartion, fees, and 900 of remaining payments on my current jeep lease
    39 months w 15000 miles/year
    $431/month including taxes

Good deal?
  • sandycohensandycohen Member Posts: 7
  • zodiac711zodiac711 Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking at purchasing a Subaru Outback 2.5i SE (auto transmission). I've been quoted two prices (two different dealerships) of $21.3k and $21.9k plus title fees, etc. I also see in my local paper a 2.5i SE listed at $20.9k (and, at least based on the Subaru.com inventory checker, it still showing as in-stock).

My question is this: Is this a good deal? The dealer who is quoting me $21.9k e-mailed me the invoice sheet -- it shows the invoice as dated June 18, 2008, and the dealer cost as $24,472. I realize there exists a dealer holdback (3%), so would presume that on the $26,106 MSRP, the dealer holdback is $783.18 (26106*0.03). And, as there is a $1,500 incentive (at least according to the dealer -- can't find anything else anywhere), that would put the car at 24472-783.18-1500=$22,188.22.

While the car has been on the lot for over 6 months, it would (appear) this particular dealer is selling the car at a loss. If so, I'm a bit surprised however at the other dealer's quote of an even lower price (unless they can command a lower purchase price from Subaru). (The loss leader goes without saying.)

A few questions:
    1) Are there any other promotions going on from Subaru? (BTW - I live in Oregon)
    2) What's the average turnover rate on a Subaru? (6 months SEEMS like a LONG time)
    3) What are people's thoughts -- good, bad, or so-so deal?

I'm not in a rush to buy a new vehicle -- but I was thinking/hoping that as 2008 closes, the dealers would really go rock-bottom on their prices to make one more sale before year-end.

Thanks
  • ladydaycladydayc Member Posts: 2
    Last week my husband purchased a 2004 Subaru Outback that was Certified Pre-Owned by a Subaru Certified Dealer.

After two days, I noticed a rust spot on the front hood of the car. Then, inspecting more closely, I saw that there were more rust spots which had been painted over (and they hadn't even done a very good job at it). They were at the bottom front of the car, so unless you were really looking for them, you wouldn't notice. Also, there was a patch of damage (about a quarter sized -- maybe hit a curb) around the same area that had been repaired with any sanding of the metal or anything).

So I checked the undercarriage and noticed more rust. For a car with only 37,000 miles, there shouldn't be this much rust unless...

We are very concerned that this might be a flood vehicle (It came from Georgia and we live in New York) But, as a certified used car, it came with a clean carfax report and they are supposed to do a 140 point inspection, etc etc...

However, I noticed something fishy. On the carfax and dealer documents, our car is listed as a Subaru Legacy Outback. But the car is a 2004 Outback 35th Anniversary Edition. Nowhere on the car is it labeled "Legacy". The car is not a Legacy right? Or were the models simply used interchangeably at that time??

HELP! We paid the blue book value on this car for a car in great shape, and assuming because it is certified and backed by the Subaru name, that we didn't have to worry about these things or have it checked out by our own mechanic. Is it possible this car is listed under a stolen VIN or title? Or some kind of mistake?

How should we approach the dealer?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    All regular Outbacks (not the Outback Sport) are Legacys.. Whether labeled that way, or not...

The "Certified" cars basically come with an extended warranty. Does yours have a warranty? I'm not sure how much would be left... An '04 is a 5-yr-old car..

As far as rust on the under-carriage? I can't see it from here... but, most cars look pretty rusty under there... It's mostly surface rust, since the components aren't painted (generally).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Call 800-SUBARU3 to speak to customer service. Sounds like a shoddy repair. The dealer may not have known about it if the previous owner did not disclose whatever damage they tried to cover up, and back then the paint looked OK.
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    I don't mean to be so matter of fact but, the only "mistake" seems to be buying a used car without thoroughly inspecting it for problems. Especially when you are paying Blue Book EXCELLENT condition prices. It's not Subaru's problem that you didn't inspect the used vehicle prior to purchase. If you had read the Blue Book description of EXCELLENT condition you would've noticed that it describes Excellent Condition as:

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category."

Notice that it says free of rust, never had any paint/body work, clean title history, Also note, it says less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into the Excellent catagory.

It is possible you had a vehicle that sustained flood damage. The only way you could tell is if the vehicle was totalled by the insurance company. Then their would be a Salvage title. The CarFax report is never going to tell you anything except when it has a Salvage Title. Total Loss is normally reached when the total cost of repairs reach 70% or more of the vehicle's value. Some flood damage could easily be fixed for a fraction of that. Point being, it could've been flood damaged but there is no way of ever proving it. In my opinion, you should've inspected the vehicle before buying it.
    Remember this is CPO. She paid more because Subaru was supposed to do that for her, a fair expectation IMHO.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I wonder if it's really certified... Does Subaru certify five-yr-old cars?

My local Chevy dealer has a sign on every used car that says certified... but, it doesn't mean anything...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Good point. Coming from a dealership it means nothing. Coming from the manufacturer it certainly does.

If that CPO was a dealer claim, I'd go back to the dealer. Of course all they will do is try to get you to trade up to something else, perhaps offer you full KBB on your trade.
  • ladydaycladydayc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to those who offered advice opposed to insults (which really don't help us at all at this point, unfortunately.)

The car is actually CPO. Subaru certifies cars up to 6 years old, with certain specifications. And it is under warranty until June '10 (for powertrain and bumper to bumper).

Already spoke to Subaru about the problem who told us to approach the dealer and then return to Subaru customer service to make sure it was resolved to our satisfaction.

thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    My local Chevy dealer has a sign on every used car that says certified... but, it doesn't mean anything...

Hehe, sure! They are certifying that it was owned by someone prior to it being on their lot! It is a certified pre-owned car! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    In that case, let's give them a chance to respond, but please keep us posted.

You pay more for a CPO to avoid this exact type of problem.
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Any update on your price negotiations on the west coast? Here in the Northeast, Outbacks always seem to be available with some additional dealer incentives (above and beyond the holdback and customer rebates.)

Until recently, I had an '05 Outback 2.5i with 42k miles that has been a pleasure to own since we purchased it new in November 2004. It was unfortunately destroyed over the holiday and I'm now looking for a replacement. From my browsing on Fitzmall, it appears that an Automatic 2.5i SE with MSRP of 25901 can be had for 21677, which is right in between your two numbers. This would be the maximum I would pay. My local dealer, Becker Subaru, said they would match this price, but I'm going to get a few more quotes as well. I also am not sure what price to target since dealer incentives aren't easy to determine, but it doesn't hurt to get as many quotes as possible.

The insurance company gave us ~$14,100 for our '05 plus 6% tax and the doc fee, totaling just over $15,000 as the settlement. I'm happy that I get to upgrade to a brand new '09 model for just $6677 extra (maximum) plus tax and tags. Can't complaint too much about the depreciation during my 50 months of ownership. We only did oil changes, air filters, and tire rotations during that time.
    dad2be: Unfortunately I don't have much more of an update to report. The best deal to be had was the loss-leader advertised in the paper for $20.9k (which, while was still available, the ad had expired and the dealer wouldn't go for it). Beyond that, I did get another dealer to match the $21.3k price, but couldn't get anyone to go lower.

I did hear that my wife's co-worker also got a new '09 Outback 2.5i SE for ~ $21.5k (don't know the exact price) via the Internet ~ 1-3 months prior (don't know the full details).

The bottom line, is that it appeared the loss-leader was the lowest (but only by about $400). That, and the fact that none of the dealers were having any great end-of-the-year pricing. I have since opted to wait until ~ September, where I'll reinvestigate making a purchase.

Thank-you for your response however -- it's nice to know that I didn't appear to be leaving a lot of $$$ on the table.
  • pam4waterpam4water Member Posts: 14
    I was going to buy a Camry, but this bad weather and the local road conditions have made me reconsider. I'm looking at Outbacks and Legacys. I see lists of incentives on 2008 Subarus. Are there a lot of 2008s still at the dealers? Is there a big down side to buy and a 2008?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No downside that I can think of. As to the bad weather, of the two, the Outback would better, as it has more ground clearance. When snow is deep, that can be an advantage.

Bob
    pam4water: Don't know where you're at, but in the Portland, OR region, while dealers still had 2008's, the cost difference between an '08 and an '09 was truly negligble -- maybe $50-$100 bucks. And an '09 will have a higher blue-book value than an '08, meaning that should you either wreck the car, or decide to sell it in a few years, you're better off with the '09.

If the price difference were more significant, I myself would opt for an '08, but for that kind of measly difference, I'd highly recommend the '09.
    For '09, Subaru also made VDC (which it sounds like you may appreciate) available across the line on Outbacks. For '08, it had only trickled down to the Limited models and up.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jpenndcljpenndcl Member Posts: 2
    Is it a good deal to get a new 2009 Outback 25i Special Edition for 19,300?

Also, I am wondering about whether or not their lease special at 239 a month is a good deal for a 2009 Outback 25i Special Edition? It did not say what the residual or money factor was for this car. Any thoughts would be welcome!
    jpenndcl,

Is the $19.3k for a manual or automatic transmission?

The lowest I could find on a new '09 2.5i SE automatic was $20.9k (loss-leader in the paper), and $21.3k (lowest price I could negotiate via the Internet). This was all at the end of 2008.

So, if it was an automatic, I'd say it's a heck of a deal... At least compared to what I could find. I'm in the Portland, OR area, and Subaru's are quite popular, so if you were in an area were they weren't popular, perhaps that would come into play as well...

Best of luck.
  • jpenndcljpenndcl Member Posts: 2
    Zodiac,

I am in Indiana and am not sure how popular they are... I see a few here and there. I do not believe the sales person specified manual/automatic, but I will find that out tonight.

As for the lease, is the $239 a month a decent deal? Assuming that the residual is not like $16000... I think I will likely need to go with the lease in this economy and just plan on buying it out when we come out of this mess. Thanks for the information!!
  • memphischarliememphischarlie Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at the '08 2.5i versus the '09 2.5i SE. The '09 SE has vehicle stability control and an upgraded stereo and would be much preferred, as you have explained.

I see that in most parts of the country, there is $1,500 customer cash for the '09. However, in my area (Tennessee) there is no current incentive for the '09 Outback. In my area, for the '08 you can get $1,500 customer cash and 0% financing for 2 years.

Has anyone ever noticed incentive differences between regions like this?

There's no way I could consider negotiating on a '09 in my area if I can't get a $1,500 rebate that people in other parts of the country can get!

Maybe there will be customer cash in February in Tennessee? Maybe not?
  • 14cars14cars Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited with MSRP of $29,489 for $25,842 (before the $1500 rebate! and also before tax, title, fees of $149 (grrrr!), and license). ...

Thanks to Edmunds.com, we were able to get quotes fairly effortlessly from several dealerships and work an acceptable deal with the dealership of our choice. We found it pays to shop around! Definitely puts you in the driver's seat! :D
  • rl newbierl newbie Member Posts: 17
    Just to be crystal clear, are you saying you got a discount of $3,647 off MSRP and then another $1,500 discount for a total of $5,147 off MSRP. In other words, you only paid $24,342?

If so, any idea if this level of discount would hold for the 3.0R Limited?

Thanks.
  • tsxowwnertsxowwner Member Posts: 38
    i'm am in the market for an outback and would like to understand this too.

with an msrp of $29,489, this would suggest an invoice of about $27,500 bsaed on edmundsTMV.

If you got this for $25,842, that means it went for roughly $1,700 under invoice. I think dealer holdback is only 3% of msrp = $900, so they are taking a pretty big loss on this to let it go for that price.

did you have a trade? or maybe that price included the $1,500 off which would make more sense at $200 under invoice - though you probably could have done better.

though if you numbers are prior to the $1,500 off that's great, b/c now i know where to start negotiations...
    Yes, the price we paid was over $5000 off MSRP ... The haggle room became apparent when we submitted requests from several dealerships and the quotes came back. Only one was in the range of the predicted TMV on Edmunds but others were significantly (!) lower. I think we requested quotes from 6 dealerships in our area. We worked the deal at our local dealership but would have been willling to drive an hour if it meant getting a substantially better deal. (No trade, straight cash/financing deal-- our financing, not theirs.). Bought in NW Indiana. Competitive quotes came from Chicago.
    The $1500 rebate is a discount from the manufacturer - it does not affect the dealer. In other words, you should take the $1500 off the top, meaning if your MSRP is $29,489, but they are offering a $1500 rebate, you should consider the MSRP to be $27,989 and the invoice to be $26,000. Therefore, $25,842 is $158 under invoice and within the realm of possibility (dealer's 3% holdback), especially for a volume dealer where quantity sold results in the real payday for the dealer.
  • rl newbierl newbie Member Posts: 17
    That's great - congratulations. How did you submit to dealers over the internet - through the Subaru website?
    The subaru website currently lists the march program. Looks like you can either get either:

(a) $1,500 cash back plus 2.9% or
    (b) $1,500 customer cash

I don't really follow this - why would (b) be any better. Am i reading this right? Or can you combine the cash back with the customer cash to get $3,000 reduction (albeit take a worse apr).

maybe someone can translate the below

Outback

CASH BACK PLUS 2.9% FINANCING ON 09 SUBARU OUTBACK MODELS
    Cash Back may not be combined with any other incentive but an APR incentive. Financing for well-qualified applicants who finance through Subaru Motors Finance. Length of contract is limited. Subject to credit approval, vehicle insurance approval and vehicle availability. No down payment required. See participating dealers for details. Must take delivery from dealer stock by March 2, 2009.

$1,500 Cash Back plus 2.9% Financing on 09 OUTBACK models (excluding Outback Sport)
    $ 0 Cash Back plus 2.9% Financing on 09 OUTBACK Sport models

2.9% FINANCING ON ALL 09 SUBARU OUTBACK MODELS
    Cannot be combined with any other incentive. Financing for well-qualified applicants only. Length of contract is limited. Subject to credit approval, vehicle insurance approval and vehicle availability. No down payment required. See participating dealers for details. Must take delivery from dealer stock by March 2, 2009.

CUSTOMER CASH ON 09 SUBARU OUTBACK MODELS
    Now through March 2, 2009 - 09 OUTBACK models are available with Customer Cash. Must take delivery from dealer stock by March 2, 2009. See your participating dealer for details. Cannot be combined with any other incentives.

$1,500 Customer Cash on 09 OUTBACK models (excluding Outback Sport)
    $ 0 Customer Cash on 09 OUTBACK Sport models

SPECIAL LEASE OFFER* ON 09 SUBARU OUTBACK (9DC)
    Now through March 2, 2009 - $239 per month for 36 months with $1,699 due at lease signing. $0 security deposit. Tax, title and registration fees extra. Other leases available on other models. Cannot be combined with any other incentives.
    I have a Sienna and we really like it but in the snow there is no comparison. It struggles to climb my driveway in conditions our Forester shrugs off or doesn't even notice.

If you get snow - you won't regret getting a Subaru.

I like the Sienna but in the snow I'll borrow my wife's Forester. If she lets me. :D
    I submitted to dealers through the Edmunds site ... really easy ... you can select multiple dealers, not just the initial 3 the come up closest to your zip code. We found that you do need to be very specific in what you request so that you can compare apples to apples. (For example, specify which package, what extras (if any), and ask them to outline specific costs/fees (destination, tax, title, admin fees, etc... ). We weren't picky about color and didn't specify that. The dealerships all seem to have internet sales people or administrative people who respond VERY quickly. Good luck!
    what are outback limiteds going for?

i know the program is 1,500 rebate + 500 owner loyalty + apr.

ignoring rebates, what about starting the discussion at 800 under invoice?

thoughts?
  • hellskitchenhellskitchen Member Posts: 6
    I keep reading about a march rebate of 1500 cash back on 2009 Outbacks, but where is it? not on the Subaru website nor on local dealer websites. I live in 10804 New Rochelle NY just above NYC? Actually, I was more interested in the model just below the Limited, the Special Edition with automatic, and neither Carsdirect nor other internet sits carry it. My attempt to get dealer quotes is always the same, "call us". What gives? :cry:
  • hellskitchenhellskitchen Member Posts: 6
    this is exactly the problem that I have been running into. I want an '09 Special Edition with auto. Used the Consumes Report method which is slightly lower than TMV. Two problems, i can not find out what the heck everyone is talking about regarding the rebates of $1500, and the second problem is that no matter whom I use, even carsdirect.com, whenever i request a specific quote, i get a call back or message that says "C'mon down" ie- no internet offers, come in so I can steal your gold teeth! Is it something bout New York? (I am just above the city -NYC- line. Any advice or tips? Am willing to travel a bit, but a;already got two bait and switch offers from upstate NY dealers before i decided to go with a new model.
    Rebates can vary by region and even state to state. That may explain it.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Is that price ($5,100 below MSRP) including freight ($695)?

I'm finding Outback SEs locally for about 15% below MSRP incl. freight ... $26,028 MSRP for $23,088 including freight and $289 dealer fees and taxes, or about $24,310 out the door.

Outback Limiteds are ~$29,338 MSPR, selling at $25,698 including freight, or about $27,026 including taxes & dealer fees.

This dealer is not participating in the $1,500 rebate as far as I can tell.
    These are well below TMV prices and about $500 below prices a few months ago.

But I'm also thinking that deals not depending on the rebate are not going to be much worse in May than early March, I don't see the economy turning around in the next 60 days.

Tough time to choose whether to stick with my'01 Audi A6 wagon w/ 99k on it for another year or 2 (wait for an Outback diesel?), or buy while the deal is good.

Mainly I'm annoyed at the huge premium charged for the Ltd. over the SE for things I don't care about when I really am interested in leather & dual zone AC only. No a la carte ordering ... puh.
    Yes, it included freight ...

Like you, all we really wanted beyond the SE was leather and dula zone AC. Didn't care about other things.

We debated waiting on the Diesel. Obviously, you know our decision! No regrets.

Good luck!
  • Rob2711Rob2711 Member Posts: 4
    Responding to prior posts about really wanting an SE plus leather and dual zone, I was in a similar position but only cared about the leather. The dealer offered this as an after-manufacturer service. Price started at $1300 but they gave it to me for lower than that. I couldn't take the car that day obviously, but a week later and I now have our SE with leather without having to pay the extra $$$ for the Limited options I did not want, like moonroof etc.

Maybe you both should inquire with your local dealers about adding leather to an SE. Good luck.
    interesting idea, but dual zone climate is equally important so leather alone wouldn't really help/be worth it for me ... but you're right, a good upholstery shop (good is the key word) could do it, you just have to hope they use good leather and know what they're doing (Audi leather, for ex., is very high quality stuff, at least it was in the '98 and '01 I've had/have).
  • dlhansondlhanson Member Posts: 6
    2009 Outback 2.5i Model 9DB (automatic) has an invoice price of $22,627 (including destination fee).
    I am a member of the IMBA so I can use the Subaru VIP program which I understand gives a 2% discount off of invoice plus no additional fees (except tax and title). 2% is about $450 so the dealer should charge me about $22,175.

There is a new $2000 cash rebate to the customer. So I should be able to write a check to the dealer for $20,175.(plus TTL)

Two questions, do these calculations sound correct? Should I expect the dealer to go more than 2% under invoice? ("The dealer was getting $1,500 cash incentive before Subaru started this $2,000 rebate - per cars101.com so things have changed in the last few days.)

Thanks

PS - I am located in Upstate South Carolina - I don't see many Subaru's around here unless I drive up to Asheville, NC.
    what is IMBA? and the Subaru VIP Program?

Thx.
  • dlhansondlhanson Member Posts: 6
    IMBA = International Mountain Bicycling Association

Subaru VIP program - a Subaru program to promote the interests of Subaru and the organization/company

See (and the FAQ page linked from here) for more details
    http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html

And search for "Subaru VIP" using google to find other orgs
  • subie822subie822 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Guys/gals,
    I need your help,im looking to buy a used 2001 outback limited (2.5 engine) with 41,000 miles on it this week.I've done some researched on the vehicle and found out alot of people have problems with the Head Gasket going out? Anyone had any problems with this on their 2001 Outback? Please share i need to know quickly..i put deposit for the vehicle...Thanks