Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    the end of the month is always a very good time to buy, end of qtr probably as good or better ... my guess, and it's just a guess, is that you're not going to save much by waiting and it's possible the price of a used '09 may bump up if folks see the '10s (higher price w/ less content than in '09 from what I can see w/ the pricing games being played) and figure a used '09 for a bit less is attractive.

No one knows for sure, but of course the selection of '09s will dwindle ... good luck.
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    For a new car, yeah, the end of the month is def a good time, but you can get teh same price regardless if you do research and know what you want to pay. right now, it does not matter when you buy, dealers just wants the stuff off the lot. By waiting till the end of the month, the dealer will reach their bottom line quicker and they will do it with less resistance because they have quotas to meet. You can still get that same price if you go in the beginning of the month, you just are going to have to fight harder for it.

For a used, if they do not sell it, it wil just go to an auction. There is no rush to get rid of them (but they stil need to sell them). If you see a used one you want, just try and get it. If you see that it has been sitting on teh lot for a while, then keep pestering them for the price you want.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Adding to the good advice above...

I definitely agree that selection dwindles, so wait only if you are flexible about color and options.

The other thing, which happened to me, is that a rebate may increase on the first of the month. So if it's $2000 now and goes up to $2500 on July 1, you may miss out on a bigger rebate.

Happened to me with an MX-5 purchase in March.
  • 1stin101stin10 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks, everyone, for the input. Sorry to hear that you missed out on the better rebate on your MX-5, ateixeira. With regard to rebates, does anyone have any memory of what Subaru did about rebates last summer? I realize we're in a different marketplace at this point, but I'm just curious to know the history.

Also, I would like to learn more about how a dealer decides to send something in his used inventory to auction. Seems like he would need to be desperate to do that since I can't imagine he could make very much. I recently spotted online one used car that, according to the posted CarFax report, has been for sale since early March. They list it for slightly under $500 more than what I'm willing to pay OTD, excluding TTL. So I'll be curious to see if they're willing to deal or let it go to auction.
    Can't hurt to ask. Sounds like it's been collecting dust.

I wrote a letter to Mazda and at least they sent me a gift card. Oh well.
    I can't say for sure re: when they auction off a used car ... fwiw, we bought my wife's CPO '05 Toyota Matrix XRS (loaded little rocket ship) from a Toyota dealer who had it on the lot for about 4 months or so.

The "internet" price we bought it (just below the Edmunds price for a CPO) at was nearly $2,500 less than the price on the sticker on the lot IIRC.

I'd just go in and make an offer (start a bit below where you want to end up to give yourself some room).
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    Auctions are last resort. Usually, by the time it goes to auction, it has been determined that they are not able to sell the car. they will take a loss on it most likely.
  • zilchzilch Member Posts: 6
    "It should be discounted at least 10%, more if the miles are higher. $21-22k seems "about right. "

um, this is the deal. you can always get 10% off any new car. so why buy a demo for nearly no discount.

funny, carmax sells used current-year models for more than one can buy a new one with discount.
    I'm curious where folks are seeing new ('09) 2.5i Limiteds for $23.5K. That is still not the case in my neck of the woods, or at least I haven't seen any advertising to that effect, and I've been scanning pretty closely since I plan to buy in the next 2-3 weeks.

Based on what I've seen locally, $21-22K for a low mileage demo does seem about right. I drove one today with less than 6K miles where dealership is asking $22,500.
    I meant 10% less than a brand new one would cost.

I don't even refer to MSRP any more because the Monroney price has become meaningless.
  • mikgarsmikgars Member Posts: 7
    Hi 1stin10- check out Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs, Co. They have 5 or 6 in stock. I have seen other advertising ~5200 off MSRP but these are generally only for a specific vehicle and most likely that particular car will have been sold (probably weeks ago) if you were to bother trying to inquire about it.
    Thanks, mikgars. I had been considering both Heuberger (have family in CO) and Fitz (had reason to visit MD anyway), but actually struck a deal locally which I'm pretty happy with. I take delivery tomorrow and will provide more details once the transaction is completed.
    Thanks again for the suggestion, mikgars. I ended up buying locally today for $5,142 off MSRP and am pretty satisfied. With the $2K manufacturer rebate, I paid $3,302 under invoice once you adjust for the fact the dealership rolled destination into the final sales price and then lowered it again to absorb the doc fee I refused to pay but which they said could not be eliminated outright b/c it's preprinted on their paperwork for legal reasons.

I got the color I wanted, and they agreed to throw in the all-weather floor mats. And in addition to what I believe is a good out the door price, the salesman and F&I guy were professional(!!!). After all the hours/days/weeks of online research I did to prepare for this transaction - my first vehicle in 10 years - I had steeled myself for the worst. I did have some brief email exchanges with salesmen who weren't great, but that just made the winning salesman stand out so much more. He was the first to respond to my "blast" email (within 45 minutes), he provided a pdf of the window sticker with his offer so I knew there would be no bait & switch, he thanked me for giving him the opportunity to earn my business, he followed up promptly the next morning with another email (my preferred method of contact) even though he had my phone number, he ultimately agreed to everything I requested in our negotiation, and he treated me with respect through the whole process. The F&I guy was awesome - totally lowkey and straightforward. I was offered extended warranty, considered it and ultimately declined. There was zero pressure.

I just want to thank the edmunds community, because I learned A TON here. I don't believe I would have had a fraction of as good an experience had I not done my homework, and edmunds along with cars.com were both key in helping me become an educated shopper. Very cool. :shades:
    re ... "...'blast' email..." ... can you describe what that is in more detail?

having just spend $800 to replace the O2 sensors on my '01 Audi with 103k miles on it I doubt I'll be shopping any time soon but it will be useful to file away for reference.

thanks.
    jc
    Congrats, that's a deep discount so kudos.
    Hi, JC. I may have made my initial communication to the dealers sound, unintentionally, a little more mysterious than what it really was. By "blast" email, I just meant one email message going out to multiple dealers (three or four) at one time, requesting a price quote. I did this via cars.com, but edmunds and numerous other sites will, of course, assist with getting quotes for you.

In my case, I used cars.com to determine where I might reasonably travel to get the best price for the vehicle I wanted. When I found it was in MD, I made sure to copy the link from that dealer's web site, showing the price and the car's description, into the body of the message that was blasted out to the local dealers. I asked them if they could beat the price, and indicated if not, I would be flying to MD to buy the car in the following three days. (I already had plans to go to MD anyway.)

One dealership thought I was bluffing, so came back with a price $250 higher than what I asked them to beat. When I ignored them for a day, they began to email and call me every few hours as did another dealership. When I eventually told them I already had a deal, they quickly suggested they would beat that price if I walked away from the existing deal. I told them to forget it.

So ... did I get the lowest, rock bottom price I possibly could have gotten? No, because I didn't go back and forth amongst the dealers. Some may regard that as foolishly leaving money on the table, but I knew from my research that I was getting a very good price as it was, and I chose to honor the agreement I made with the salesman who demonstrated from the start that he was the most interested in my business and who acted like a professional throughout. To me, it really was not worth the extra $200 or so I might have saved to go back on my word with someone who had been straightforward with me and whose dealership has gotten good ratings with the BBB and elsewhere.

Hope this was helpful. I'm sure it was way more than what you were looking for, but I'm a little excited right now about the experience. ;)
    Thanks, ateixeira! I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. And I'm also celebrating the fact I'm able to deduct the sales tax come next April. :D
    Congrats 1stin10 I doubt you could have gotten a much better price than ~5100 off MSRP. Would you mind sharing the general region you are from? If you mentioned it earlier I missed it. I am looking in central Illinois between St Louis and Chicago. I am going to see if Subaru changes it current $2000 back and 2.9% in July and will be purchasing in the coming week or so.
    Thanks, mikgars. I live in Chicago, northwest side of the city, and I bought at the dealership in Arlington Heights.

Once you zero in on a dealership, I would suggest googling them to see what comes up and checking out their rating on the BBB site. I considered buying in Schaumburg, but decided against it after reading numerous complaints against them (recently as well as years ago) and seeing they got a grade of "F" from the BBB. Even if I had managed to have a smooth transaction with them, this knowledge would have added unneeded stress to my experience. Plus, I don't like putting money in the pockets of people who conduct business in an allegedly shady fashion.

Good luck to you! I've got my fingers crossed that you'll get an even better deal than I did, especially if Subaru increases the rebate. One person posted on this forum a couple months back that he thought Subaru would raise it by maybe $750 in July as dealers need to clear out the 09s to make room for the redesigned 10s. I was a bit tempted to hang on a couple of weeks more myself, but opted to tap into the added sales motivation of the end of the month & 2nd quarter. Let us know how you do.
  • abt1abt1 Member Posts: 2
    Good job 1stin10! I plan on buying a new outback next month. Can you give some more details onhow you arrived at such a great price. I stink at haggling, hate it.I would like to know where you started after getting the multiple quotes. At the invoice? You must have started much lower. I am afraid they will not take me seriously if I offered $21,000 for a $24,000 car and then expected another 2G as a rebate How does the rebate come into play? Should I not talk about that until after the deal is made? I read that is manufacturers money direct to me.I also understand that it is 2G right now How do you prove this to the dealer if they try to say it ended or does not apply,as a trick?
    Thanks,

Al
    not TMI, thanks, that's just what I was interested in hearing about.

enjoy the new car,

Jon
  • richmonderrichmonder Member Posts: 15
    My in-laws need to buy in a hurry...their car was totaled. Where are the rebates available. I live in Richmond, VA and I don't think I can get them or in Pittsburgh where they live.

Much thanks!!!
    Richmonder, I didn't check your region, but I did find that two of the first Subaru dealers that popped up for Pittsburgh are both offering the updated incentives. Not exactly sure why you're posting here for this info as it took me less than two minutes to find this out via Google ...
    Al, I'm not a great haggler, but I am a decent researcher, and my research shows you are set to buy at a fabulous time. It is definitely a buyer's market, so be confident that you can get a good deal ... because you definitely can!

Subaru just sweetened their incentives a bit for the 2009s. If you are looking at the Outback 2.5i Limited WITH Nav, the 2.5XT or the 3.0R, those are now all available until Aug 3 with a $3K rebate and the low financing from before. The other 2.5i models have the $2K rebate, which is what I got the end of June.

To answer your questions, I did not start negotiating at invoice. I asked various local dealers to beat a price that was well under invoice which I found at an out-of-state dealer. As for the rebate, that money did not go directly to me; it was applied by the dealer to my sales price, thus lowering what I paid them. All of the dealers I found were providing quotes that already included that rebate, so you should ask the dealer directly about this if you're unclear about it when you are given a price.

I don't know if every single Subaru dealer has to offer the latest incentives by the manufacturer, but I would assume they would, since this is money provided by Subaru. So ask up front about the rebates. The current rebates do not end until Aug 3.

If you wait to buy toward the end of July, I'm sure the salesmen will be even more motivated to lower the price in order to move the 2009s and make their sales quotas for the month. But by waiting you do risk having less of a selection from which to choose if your heart is set on a certain color or particular options/accessories. If you're more flexible, I would wait to get the best deal.

Lastly, remember that you control this process. If you don't like something, just end the discussion by politely but firmly saying you'll think about it. It won't take long for them to chase after you with a better offer. So good luck and negotiate with confidence because this market has put buyers in the driver's seat.
  • outandbackoutandback Member Posts: 2
    I'm having trouble getting near this price in the Boston area (after $2K rebate), and wonder if the Cash for Clunkers program is bumping up market price a bit. Anybody notice this?

It would appear that Dealer price is Invoice minus $1000 hold back, not including rebates. True?

I see Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs still shows a special price of an SE for under $20K, but the list price on their specials page ($26,310) does not match the MSRP on the inventory price for the listed car (#29902, $24,590) shown here. What's up with that?

Thanks,
    Out and Back
    My '01 Audi A6 continues to vex us w/ CELs ... after a new coolant temp sensor, new cat, and new O2 sensors since last Sept., still intermittent codes that relate to a known issue w/ the ECU throwing false codes. I'm willing to pay the dealer to "reflash" the ECU with updated programming that was the subj. of a TSB, but doubt I'm willing to spring for a new ECU or even rebuilt if this doesn't work.

But of course in the meantime the supply of '09 OBs dwindles and I'm not very interested in a '10. Definitely want the SE for the features, don't really want the Ltd. primarily b/c of the poor A/C I hear about but I do like the leather & sunroof ... definitely do not want the built-in NAV.

I may be picking from among the slim pickins' later this month, we'll see.

BTW I confirmed w/ my longtime trusted indep. shop that the Audi CVT, to which I am told the new Subie CVT is related (same belts? I'd love to know if it's the same TCU or other parts too) was not a reliable unit and there were some very expensive TCU failures ($2-4k repair costs). So I'm wary of the new CVT, as I am of any new technology til I see it's track record for reliability.

jc
  • snowinwindsnowinwind Member Posts: 3
    Hi, 1stin10, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am in the process of buying a Limited as well. Contacted local dealers through email, all except one just asked me to call them. :( The one price is about $4000 off the MSRP.

I have a quick newbie question. How did you get your initial price from the MD dealer from Cars.com? Did you contact them by email? All prices I saw at Cars.com are MSRP, right?
  • bunzbunz Member Posts: 3
    Going to be buying an Outback SE in Seattle (and) north area in the next 30 days. What OTD can I expect? Any Subaru dealers I should avoid?

Thanks

Bunz
  • abt1abt1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks 1stin10,
    That is some great advice. I am trying to do research on how to get the best deal and I find alot of conflicting info. It gets confusing! I will keep this thread updated, to get more advice and to also help out others with my eperience.

Al
    Hi, snowinwind!

If I were you, I would not call any of the dealers who did not offer a price. Just wait a bit, and they will likely come back to you fairly soon, though I have to say that the end of month pressure to meet their sales quota undoubtedly encouraged the dealers with whom I interacted.

I would begin to negotiate with the one dealer who did provide a price. $4K off MSRP is pretty good, so to me it shows he's serious about bargaining, but there's still a lot of room to come down.

I just did a search for 09 Limiteds on cars.com, and prices are dropping. Selection is too, but bargains are out there if you're willing to be flexible. I don't know where you're located, but I found prices at Heuberger in Colorado Springs, CO for just above $24K - so similar to the price you were quoted locally - and I found a couple at DullesMotors in Leesburg, VA for even less ... one was about $23,600. There were also competitive prices at a couple of MD dealers and one in NH. So as you can see, these prices are certainly not MSRP. MSRP for a Limited is $28,295. These prices undoubtedly all include the $2K cash rebate, but even still, they are good prices. And it's from there that you want to begin your negotiations, not from MSRP or even dealer invoice.

I would go back to the dealer who gave you the quote by emailing him a link to one of these dealers with an even lower price. Ask him to beat it. When he does, tell him this is a pretty good price, and you'll be very tempted to buy IF he includes .... the destination fee (a $695 value) and cargo nets or something else you really want. If he agrees, I'd accept the deal and take a copy of the email down to the dealership with you so you have the offer and the corresponding VIN# in writing. If he doesn't, I would consider shopping the quote he did give you to the other local dealers who told you to call them. Instead of callling, email his quote and ask them to beat the price and add in a goodie or two. Also, it's important to give all of these guys a timeframe. Tell them clearly you will be buying a car by close of business Saturday, July 11 or whatever date in the very near future so that you create an enhanced sense of urgency on their part.

Hope this helped. Good luck! :)
    1stin10, thank you so much for the help. I will give it a try and update the result here.
  • outandbackoutandback Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let folks know that Heuberger Motors updated their prices after my July 6 post so there is no longer a discrepancy for Outback Internet special. I also see that they change their prices often, so although they are higher as I write this, yesterday I saw they advertised 2009 Outbacks for $20,070 for a manual transmission SE and $20,952 (& up) for an SE auto.

Good benchmarks for comparison shopping.
  • brentpbrentp Member Posts: 7
    We have decided to get a new 09 Outback within the next 6 weeks (Toyota lease to expire in Aug). Started to contact Subaru dealers to see where we would be.

Looking for a Model 9DD with no options in the New England area. MSRP - $25,790. (with PZEV - most inventory in NE has this).

So far, best offer is at $21,000. plus a $225 dealer doc fee. Others (so far) are in the $22K+ range. This represents $4.79K under MSRP, . . . and about $524. under invoice + holdback.

Question/Opinions:

Good offer? Can I get more?

Is it likely rebate will increase in Aug? - If so, care to guess how much?

Fitzmall lists Outback SEs (9DD) with a slightly higher MSRP for a slightly lower internet price - how is this?

How is this dealer making money with price below what we all think he/she really paid for the car?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
  • rdyrdy Member Posts: 36
    Looking for SE Pricing in SEA area

Contact Joe Spitz. He's the most knowledgeable
    and straight dealing.
    linky here
    Looks pretty good to me. Heuberger has 17 of these listed on their website. Based on what they show, you're definitely in the pocket. As for Fitz' higher MSRP, look closely at the car descriptions. Fitz' may have some accessory already pre-installed. But to me, MSRP is totally irrelevant. All that matters is invoice - to get *some* idea about dealer cost - and the bottom line offer price. Regarding your last question, no one really knows what is at stake for the dealer in a car transaction. In addition to holdback, at this point, with redesigned 10s starting to arrive, there have got to be all sorts of manufacturer incentives to the dealer to move the existing product. Or maybe he agrees even to lose money on an individual transaction b/c he knows he can make it up and more in other ways.
  • Brett_KBrett_K Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I made a deal on a 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited in Azurite Blue Pearl with power moonroof, Wheel Arch Moldings, Auto Dimming Mirror Compass and Popular Equipment Group 2A (bumper cover, puddle lights, and splash guards).
    They ate about 3000 in negative equity on my trade. Apparently, they mistook my trade-in as a limited model when it wasn't. The dealership honored their original estimate and I jumped on it. Final cost after TTL is 31500. MSRP was 31046. It should be in within two weeks.
  • mr_jmtmr_jmt Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up an Outback Special Edition for Invoice - holdback (in northern NJ). I also told the dealer I would not pay the documentation fee on their invoice and he agreed. I am happy and feel that deal, plus $2000 cash back was the best I will do. Especially since inventory is all but gone on 09 Outbacks as a lot of people dislike the 2010 model.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Just wanted to clarify some comments re: Fitzmall prices. I bought an auto Outback SE 09 at Fitz (White Flint location) in March and their MSRP as shown on the internet was exactly right and agreed with the edmunds price. There were a few factory options like floor mats, armrest extension, and rear cargo net. The price they show includes freight. Note that some of their lowest priced (relative to MSRP) Outbacks are clearly marked as "specials" or "clearance" - these have a few miles on them (and that is not apparent from the internet listing). Mine had about 120 miles on it from test drives. I could have chosen one with only a few miles on it for about $300 more. It was the color I wanted, equipped the way I wanted.
    It was an easy and pleasant transaction all the way around.
    I have also noticed some slight pricing variation at other dealers due to unpopular colors.
    That is an excellent point I had forgotten to mention about Fitz. Unlike many other dealers, their offer prices do include destination ($695), so something to watch for when trying to do apples-to-apples comparisons.

I found if you look closely at the car descriptions, it's not too hard to understand slight price variations as dealers will, of course, pass along the charge for things like a light-dimming rearview mirror, armrest extension, etc. And, yes, white does always seem somewhat cheaper than other colors.
  • brentpbrentp Member Posts: 7
    Just thought I'd provide an update on this.

After contacting all area dealers - I received numerous quotes. The $21.0K offer (plus doc fees) was received from 2 dealers. All other offers were quite a bit more. Heard from a couple of sources that at this price, they would be loosing about $550. on the deal. This was in line with the calculated cost to the dealership assuming a 3% holdback on MSRP (without transportation).

Anyway, long story short, . . . Quartz Silver 2.5i SE Auto PZEV - no extras. MSRP - $25790. Invoice (via Edmunds) - $24,277. Dealer cost (assuming 3% holdback) ~$23,524. Price paid - $21,000 plus $149 docs & title.

Took delivery - very happy. Best part - the 'winning' dealership is the one that is about 15 minutes from our house, . . . bonus!
    I made the plunge this weekend. I am going to comment in two parts: the bad and the good. The closest Subaru dealer was Skagit Ford Subaru and I like to support local business as I am a small business owner myself. I polled Roy Robinson, Dewey Griffin, Carter and Skagit. Carter, Roy Robinson and Dewey Griffin were all very quick at responding. Dewey Griffin didn't have the model I was looking for. Roy Robinson called and had the model and established a base price that was higher than what I was seeing on the web. I did not know that Washington required PZEV which added to the price. The sales guy said he couldn't come close and terminated the conversation.

My preferred dealer Skagit Subaru was a major disappointment. The email requests for a quote were given vague responses and when ask directly for a quote they said that I had to come in and meet face to face. Two days later I stopped in after making sure the internet guy who I will call Jason was going to be there. I met with Jason and when I directly ask him about a price he hedged saying that he had to talk to his boss who was over at the Ford side of the dealership. When I pushed him He said that he could do better than the sticker price - WTF!!!!
    I told him that I had done my research, was aware of what dealers were selling Subaru Outback SE's for and wanted to give him a chance to meet the price of 21,550. I told him that I was buying an Outback this weekend either from him or another dealer. I told him that was going to be back on Saturday and wanted his best price. On Saturday Jason met us at the door and we sat down. I ask him straight out what he could do and his reply was "I need to make at least $500 over invoice, don't you think that is fair?" I said I don't know what you actually pay for a car but it isn't invoice. I then ask if he could meet the price I had of $21550 and to his credit he said he couldn't. At that point we left and headed south to Carter Subaru....

Overall, I can see that Skagit Subaru obviously isn't interested in internet generated business. The sales rep wasn't familiar with the product, rebates or finance incentives. He didn't talk to me about needs, probe to see how price sensitive I was (I would have stayed if he was in $100 of the quote I had. I had seen some negative opinions of sales at Skagit Subaru and I have to agree.

See part2
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Bunz, congrats on your new Subbie & thanks for the report on your buying experience. I especially appreciated your hearing about the Seattle North dealers as you chose the same group of dealers I will be working with early fall. How was your experience with Carter? Did you work with Joe the Cars101 guy? Tell us more if you are comfortable doing so. Enjoy your new ride :shades:
    I had a number of communications with David North of Carter Subaru. He partners with Joe. A week prior to meeting with him he said he had one white outback SE left and he would hold it for me. I really wasn't looking for this but it was a nice touch on his part. After Skagit Subaru shot themselves I was off to Carter. David was nice, not pushy and delivered everything he said he would. No bait and switch, just delivered what was promised - very refreshing. Car was prepped and ready with a full tank of gas. We were out of the dealership in 3 hours. Well worth the 90 minute drive.

Same for there finance guy. We did buy the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. We got a 30% discount on it and frankly for the cost I think it worth it. I have heard the oxygen sensor and CV boot stories so I know what my major repair costs will be for the next 100,000 miles.

We got the Outback SE with dimming mirror and Ipod interface for $21,500 and $50 doc fee plus TTL and 10 year/ 100K warranty We went with the 3.9 financing :shades:

A happy customer!!!.
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    Congrats! What did the extended warranty end up costing you?
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    $25,790 (with no options) plus $695 destination plus $99 doc for a total of $26,584 (plus TTL)?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Just wrapped up deal for a 09 OB Ltd with nav. msrp 31250, inv 29164 (only option was homelink mirror). 700 under invoice. they showed me their holdback it was only just over 600 so I didn't push too hard for more. subaru has 3000 incentive on the ltd with nav right now. also traded in my 00 windstar (book trade in just under 2000) under the clunkers for cash for 3500. also got them to give me the 7/100 k warranty zero deductible for 1866 - list 2732. this will join our 08 OB, 06 tribeca and 02 WRX. should I send a photo to Drive???:-)
    We started the hunting early this month by aiming the Limited, because my wife was so into the leather seats at that time. The inventory of Limited is really thin. The best price I could get is just below $24k. It was a good price as I checked the archive and found $23.5k was really a good deal.

Then my wife realized that the price difference between Ltd and SE is over $3k, and decided that the leather seat does not worth the price. So I went out again for the SE. I checked old post in this thread. Luckily, a few people posted their success story late May. It looks that $20.5k is a reasonable price. So I sent out emails to local dealers to ask for price. For the two dealers that reported had sold at $20.5k, I told them that I knew people bought at this price, and what is their current price.

Most dealers replied with a quote at $21k+. One dealer gave a price slightly over $20.5k, but promise to beat all competitors. I went to Cityside Subaru web site, and put an offer of $20k on one of their inventory, and told them that I heard people got it $20.5 few weeks ago. They found the record of the guy(s) who bought at $20.5k, but told me that there was $500 extra incentive at that time, and the best I could get is $21k. After heard that I got better price, they suggested to match the offer. I asked for an incentive to walk away from the other dealer. The guy proposed a split in between and come down at $20.25k, plus doc $259 and TTL.

I jumped in and got the car today, with 2.9%. Very pleasant experience and smooth transaction. Everybody in the dealership is friendly and professional.

My feeling is that the end of May and early June might be a better bargain time than now. At that time, all dealers still held a huge inventory and needed to clear room for the 10 models. Now, the 10 model is still on the way (most of them only have 1 to 4 10 Outback as demo), and the 09 inventory is drying up. So it looks that they are all holding back a little bit.

Another feeling is that high volume dealers are still the ones that can give you a better price.
    I have been able to find some new 2008 Outbacks around. Does anyone know of or how to find out what sort of incentives are available on the 2008's? I would have to assume there are better deals available on the '08's than the '09's. I have searched allover the internet looking for this info. and have found no hint of '08 incentives. I would like to know everything I can before talking to the dealer. Any help/opinions are REALLY appreciated.
    Thanks-Mike
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I don't think there are any manufacturers incentives on the 08s any more
    http://www.subaru.com/special-offers/index.html
    the dealers around here (No. VA) have very few 09s left, let alone 08s ... my closest had 5 OB Ltds. last Friday, now 2 left.