Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• macdougal28macdougal28 Member Posts: 7
    Still trying to figure out what my offer will be, but as I do my research I notice most web sites like autotrader, edmunds, etc. list the base 2.5i w/CVT for MSRP of 23,990 (the manual trans. is 22,990). So why in New England is the MSRP $1000 higher on both, with the 2.5i base w/CVT 24,990? Should I be considering this profit to the dealer and figuring that into my offer?
  • sweetsoulsweetsoul Member Posts: 35
    Hi macdougal28 - if you go on subaru.com to build the 2.5i basic w/CVT it shows the MSRP as follows: $22,995 Base MSRP, plus $1000 for CVT tranny, plus $695 for delivery = MSRP of $24,690. Here's the kicker... some states require you to have the PZEV Zero Emissions engine which is another upcharge to MSRP, and I bet Maine is one of those states. I could not find the upcharge on subaru's site, but on Edmunds they have it listed as $300 MSRP - this brings the total MSRP to $24,990. I am only aware of this because PA also requires you to have PZEV as well so it was on my recent order :) . So $24,990 sounds accurate. I noticed on edmunds that the invoice of the PZEV is actually higher than the MSRP - so don't factor them taking any money off this required add on.

I hope that helps clear it up for you. Good luck again, please let us know how you make out. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that you can make a deal you are ultimately happy with ;)
    Very helpful info, indeed. I have noticed that ALL the subarus I see drive by have PVEZ on them. So I'm sure Maine requires it. I will definitely post about my negotiation and buying experience.
  • curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    I emailed several dealerships in the MA area for a 3.6R Premium with audio upgrade. A few replied that there were no 3.6 in the New England area. Puzzling to say the least as Manchester, NH has three of them. I called to verify if they were available and they still are.
    Next a couple of dealers suggested I order one or try the 2.5 instead.
    One of them suggested a price of around $30k as "realistic." The MSRP is $30,685 and the invoice is $28,757. That is profit close to $2k! (including holdback)
    I replied that many are getting invoice price...I thought buying through the internet was supposed to be easier than showing up!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Great post and good point about the PZEV. That one is an oddity because invoice is $308 versus MSRP of $300. I purchased my car at $300 under invoice, told my dealer exactly how I wanted it ordered (which included PZEV), and I paid $308 for that option. Because we started the discussions with everything at invoice, I wasn't going to argue the point. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ncdudencdude Member Posts: 4
    Today I went to either purchase or order an Outback from Huff Subaru in Wytheville, Va. I had been dealing with the internet manager who suggested I order since I didn't see anything in their inventory which I liked. A day or so ago I was informed that they now had one in stock like I wanted so I would not have to order. Immediately, I thought I was about to be the target of the old "bait and switch" technique. To my surprise, the car at the dealership had more options than I originally wanted, but they honored my original deal!!. There was no hassle, no outrageous add-ons, no pressure. It was the most pleasant car-buying experience I have ever had, and I came out of the dealership without having the feeling I had been" raped and pillaged". This dealership apparently wants to sell Subarus and they are not afraid to deal. So, if you live in nw-NC,ne-TN,sw--VA or southern WVa and are in the market for a Subaru, I suggest you contact them.
  • hlt1634hlt1634 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to purchase a 2010 3.6Limited Outback. One dealer is offering it at their invoice price. Originally it was 700.00 over invoice. Is this a good deal? I have never owned a subie before, but this seems like a pretty nice SUV.
    hlt1634 getting a new OB at invoice is a great deal! There are some on this forum that are drooling with jealousy right now. At most, you may be able to squeeze out a few hundred dollars - you could try, but from what I have seen on here... invoice is a really great price. Make sure you have a clear understanding of any additional fees, such as doc fees because these can vary dramatically. Best of luck with your new suby!
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    I'm looking for a 2010 OB 3.6R Limited + Moonroof (WIL interior) and black exterior - in NJ.

I would bite the hand the hand off of an offer at @ invoice. But I would also check the added costs. Which state are you in?

BG
  • ncdudencdude Member Posts: 4
    I hear the 3.6Limiteds may be in short supply, but I would still try for at least a couple hundred off invoice. Watch out for all the add-on fees!
    Wow, just spent some time looking at reviews of dealers in my area (NJ) - can they all be that bad?

Given that people who complain are more motivated to comment than those satisfied:

Can anyone recommend a good Subaru NJ dealer for service?
    Can anyone recommend a dealer Tristate or PA that is good to buy from?

Thanks

BG
  • robertwarriorrobertwarrior Member Posts: 4
    Hey Car man. First, let me congratulate you on helping people here(CarSpace)with their buying/lease experiences.
    We want to get the 2010 2.5i Limited (CVT trani 29 miles/galon :)). We currently have a 7 seat 2008 Nissan Pathfinder, which we love the ride :) (3 small kids :)) but, it's a little too big, almost never use the 3rd row & also "want to save some gas money". Our present lease(289/month) it's in a very good standing & expiring next Feb 2010. Nissan offer us a "Loyalty Customer offer" this offer from Nissan says that they pretty much will take care/void the remainder 3 present lease payment if we "buy or re-lease" another 2010 nissan Pathfinder. But like I said before this time we want to get out of this lease for the reason stated before (too big, gas, & also we just went over the miles..& calculate by next february we'll go over by ~4-5K miles..:-/).
    1st Question; Do you think that we just should wait until next February & pay the excess miles (& also spend more money in gas per week & accumulate a lots of miles on our trip to NC we have next Thanksgiving..! :-O :))?
    2nd Question; Finance(we prefer to own/finance this time) or Lease(we do like the "lower" payments from leasing) the Subaru now & let them add the total cost of the 3 remainder of payments (~...900 :-/)?
    I do have some "offers" from 2 dealers in NJ(work there & leave in NY) but their offers or "their deals" still seem a little "high" to me after doing price research on the same 2.5 limited model. One dealer gave my a "discounted total price of "28,668"+doc & tax, etc fees. The other dealer was a little more "reasonable" I think...27,140 (destination included) + Doc, tax & MV fees.
    They are not really "discounting" any price(from 27,140 offer) because i checked on the Subaru Web site the price of the same model and it came out to be the same as the second "better price" of 27,140( if you add their Doc, state tax, MV fees) so really it seems to me that they are not discounting anything or very little...:-/. I thought that i read here in CarSpace that some people got really decent discounts (at least ~2-4k discount from invoice)? We want low payments but it seem that every dealer we go they want A lot of money down(~4k even for lease!) and high payments(above 300/month)...they totally disregard/not honor that we have good credit & have been good customers with the present and previous leases & finances...:-/. I think we have to make a decision soon.
    3rd. Question: Can someone recommend a decent & good dealer that have ethical , honest people in their dealer around NJ, PA or NY areas, that are willing to negotiate a good total price so that payments are low (include all those stupid fees too,etc)???
    I'm considering also an auto Broker..because I'm getting tired of dealing with a lot of crooked people from these "dealers" i have encountered...>:-/ :(
    For all those looking for a good dealer in PA area. I ordered my OB from Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square. I ordered 3 weeks ago so it's still not due in for another 3-5 weeks...so right now I can only speak about the ordering experience.

First I went to my local dealer, Welsh Subaru in Limerick :mad: , but they said if I ordered a car from them they could not give me the VIP(invoice) price until it came in? Saying that Subaru changes pricing every month??? Then they refused to lock in a price for the extended warranty...wanting $2400 for a 6 yr, 100k mile plan! And then telling me some bogus story about how the price could jump $400 in a month - so they couldn't guarantee me a price. Then we talked about my trade in, they offered me $1500 less than what I wanted and again said they would have to re-evaluate when the ordered car came in - hinting that it could lose significantly more. The whole experience was sad, plus it was the sales manager who fed us all this crap. So I walked away from them and never looked back.

Next and final stop - Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square, PA. I called first and talked to a salesmen. Told them I would pay invoice (we had VIP pricing), that I already knew I would need to order due to the add-ons I wanted, that I would not pay a penny more that $1500 for the extended warranty (Gold 6yr, 100k miles), and that they needed to give me a fair price for my trade-in. They said no problem. I went in they gave me $100 over what I wanted for my trade AND locked in the price, they also locked in the ext warranty price and were able to tell me how much my OB would be, even though I ordered it - shocking right? It was a smooth painless experience. The salesperson I worked with was "Skip". He was very easy going, they all were. They also have an A rating with the BBB. I'll post more in a month or so when I go in to take my new Sube home....can't wait! If you call Skip - tell him Noelle sent you. ;)
  • hlt1634hlt1634 Member Posts: 4
    PA..other than tax and tags..what would the added costs be?
    Hey Sweetsoul,
    Very curious to know;
    -1st of all; Want to know how much exactly "total invoice price" did you pay for your Subi + destination? (docs fees are different form dealers & taxes are also different form state to state...:-/ :))
    -What is the exact Outback model you got?
    -Did you pay the whole thing or you financed your ordered Outback? & if you did Finance; What is the amount of your monthly payments & how much you put down(if you did)? & If finance or lease please; length of your term. What were your Tax, doc, & DM fee?
    Thanks.
    P.S. To Hit1634, I believe; Destination(if not included in the "Invoice price" or "whatever price you pay") + Document(They all freaking charge this one, hate it & does not make much sense to me! >:-/) + MV(motor vehicle, you don't have to, but if you want them to do it) + of course "whatever gas money" expense especially if you leave far or in another neighboring state..:)
  • jhollonjhollon Member Posts: 3
    Any recent purchases of a 2.5i or 2.5i Premium in Colorado? Also any news on new incentives for November? Heading in to drive a 2010 today to see how the CVT feels.
    HELLOOoo...please, anyone here got a good price (invoice at least or lower than invoice price) for A 2.5i LIMITED MODEL???
    Getting ready to buy/lease but no one here seem to help with accurate price info of someone actually buying or lease recently(hopefully from NY, NJ or PA)
    Anyone knows of how to get it cheaper from some car selling web sites(i heard some people before ~1-2 years ago that they got it cheaper from some sites...but right now I can't get in touch with them...:-/)?
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    Why do people need advice on how to get a good sale price? Send email quotes to 10 high volume dealers within 250 miles of your home. Pick the lowest 3 price quotes and use them against one another. If dealer X tells you $25,000 then tell dealer Z dealer X offered $25,000, and so on until they say they cannot match dealer X's price. Now you have your absolute lowest price.

Even if you do not intend to drive 250 miles to pick it up you will still have the lowest documented sale price to throw in the faces of your local guys who will have to either match that price or lose your business. There are greedy dealers who could care less what X dealer is selling their cars for but you don't want to even waste your time with them.

Dealers get money from Subaru for EVERY car they sell or lease and also for meeting certain sales goals. Dealers do not want to lose business to their competitors who will get those bonuses instead of them.

FYI: Invoice price is not the price the dealer owns the car for. Invoice is the price that the manufacturer thinks the dealer should be able to sell the car for and still make a nice profit. I would guess the Subaru dealers actually own an Outback Limited for at least $1100 under invoice and then get 2% of the MSRP as dealer holdback. A GREAT DEAL would be $1000 under invoice in my opinion.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    I'm curious whether you have any current fact-based information behind the guess that the actual dealer cost is at least $1100 under invoice?

I agree that $1k under invoice is a great deal but wonder where your net cost information comes from.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    By expanding your search to 250 miles you really increase your chances of getting the best deal. I don't have a problem with that but some folks don't want to put in the energy to do that. A good example is if you look online for a cpo used car you will see the exact same car/miles model priced as much as 10k difference nationally. I can fly in -- stay overnight - and drive home for that kind of cdeal. Could have it shipped but I'd want to kick the tires and check things out before I'd buy. Even 2-3k would be worth the trip. New cars aren't going to have that spread but different areas can offer you the leverage to do as well as possible.
    Stoopy - you and I are willing to work a bit for a deal. Some folks are fearful in that regard. They can always go through a reputable broker or contact you for free. ;)
    You might be surprised about that new car spread - it really depends on the area. I purchased my '10 Forester in Seattle for $2,300 less than it was being sold locally (Fairbanks, Alaska). The local dealer just has a "you buy from us, we don't sell to you" attitude. I spent less than $400 to get it home, plus three days of time.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Member Posts: 29
    For example. If you look at the TRUECAR.com and look at
    Subaru Outback Premium 2.5 CVT (MSRP 25990)
    We can break this down to the following numbers (as noted on their site)

Base Vehicle $23,829
    Options $0
    Regional Ad Fees $222
    Destination Fee $695

Then deductions are as follow:

Customer Incentives $0 (currently none)
    Holdbacks/CSI $759 (Subaru pays dealers this once vehicle sold)
    Dealer Incentives ??? (This is where most dealers profit, especially large volume dealers.)

TOTAL $23,987 (or less is the price anybody should pay)

Dealer Incentives are based on how many cars dealer sells. Bigger volume dealers will get bigger incentives.
    This is the reason why dealers at the end of the month try to push sales on many cars as possible. Even if they sell you truly sell under the cost of vehicle, they will profit at the end because sold enough vehicles that month to make large dealer incentives.
    They can range from few hundred dollars to even high as thousand dollars.

I personally was able to negotiate this car for $23 750 (plus title and registration). This tells you they were able to knock off few hundred dollars from the lowest price and still make some money.

As a shopper you have to be smart, and shop around. In this economy you should be able to dictate the negotiation. Do not let dealers to manipulate you and sell you based on scare tactics.
    nicely done, xwesx !!
    "The Window sticker price on this one is $27111. Invoice is $25324. We own this car for $24284. I could let you own it for $24784."

This is from an email my local dealer sent me. He is very up front with me on how they do business. They are making $500 over ACTUAL cost plus dealer holdback. (in this case $1042.22)
    This totally make sense. Thank you.
    This is about 8.5% less than MSRP. This is what I have been told by many, a good deal on Subaru would be 8% or more off of the MSRP.
    Keep this in mind and you will know if you got a good or bad deal.
    And watch out for fees that some dealers are making up.
    Here is an example of the crap we get in NJ, this is from a supposed Internet Sales Manager.........

Due to the competitive environment and lack of inventory that the entire region is suffering from, we are giving out price's only to people coming to the dealership. Although it may be a minor inconvenience to our customers, from our recent and past experience, it's a complete waste of time to talk about something that could feasibly be 12 weeks ago. Due to Subaru's ever changing factory programs, and the high demand for these vehicle's, to be honest, the price today to 12 weeks from now, could very well differ by THOUSANDS of dollars. We will be as competitive as any other dealer, but we need to put pen to paper and get everything in order first. There are certain criteria that need to be justified and unfortunately communicating via e-mail doesn't always cover all the bases. Rather than mislead you, we would rather deal face to face to show our honesty and our sincerity in these matters.

Would you bother with these guys, I was there they had their chance.
    Sorry but which state are you or where is this dealer?, I have no problem to travel and get a good deal.

BG
    Just picked up my new OB tonight. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and it came in well ahead of the original 6-8 week lead time thanks to my dealer. I couldn't be happier with the whole experience at my dealer, Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square, PA. :) It seriously has been the best car buying experience to date. Here are the details:

2010 OB 2.5i Limited in Azurite Blue w/
    Auto-dimming mirror w/compass
    Sirius satellite radio
    Media hub (for ipod)
    Wheel arch moldings
    Rear bumper cover
    Splash guards
    Interior illumination kit
    PZEV Zero Emissions

Total MSRP: $30,638 (includes $695 destination charge)
    Paid Invoice (VIP Pricing): $28,659
    Added 6 year, 100k mile Gold Plus Warranty: $1500
    Trade-In 2005 Xterra (high miles): $8100
    PA Sales Tax: $1323.54
    Doc Fee: $100
    Total Sale Price: $23,532.04 (trade already factored in this amount)

Paid cash for part of it, financed $12,500 @ 3.9% for 60 months = $230/mo. I was literally in the dealer for maybe 40 minutes total tonight to complete the paperwork, etc. It was a smooth transaction, no gimmicks, no games...the way car buying should be! If you are in the NJ, NY, MD, DE, PA or even farther out... I highly recommend this dealer. Ask for "Skip" or Kevin - tell them Noelle sent you.

I'll post more in a week or so to let you know how much I am loving my new OB :blush: . I already got the bluetooth set up (super easy) and love the media hub, just so nice to listen to my ipod through the fabulous stereo! The ride home was great even in the cold rain :D
    Thanks for the information, I may contact them - Don't forget your tax deduction. :shades:
    If sweetsouls deal looks ok to you, make a copy and take it to the dealer and ask for the same deal. Yes or no. Easy peasy. Good luck.
    Feel free to call them first... talk to Skip (our salesman) or Kevin Rafferty (mgr/owner). They really are a great group. Low pressure and laid back, but very responsive and thoughtful. They have been there for over 25 years, have a TON of Outbacks in inventory (even more than their website lists), were able to make me completely comfortable and stress free through the whole process. I was beyond thrilled with the pricing and service they gave me. If you are looking for an honest-to-goodness decent dealership with massive inventory, years of experience, salespeople who have been there more than 6 months, and an "A" rating with the BBB - then this is the right dealer for you. I swear they are not paying me for this endorsement :) It's just that having been through the entire experience with them I feel confident in the recommendation. Good Luck!
    This dealer has some inflated prices. They are charging at least a few hundred dollars more than what the should.
    Take a look at this car
    Outback Premium CVT
    http://www.raffertysubaru.com/new-inventory/2010-Subaru-Outback/167013a47f000001- 01b4b415cd6679f6.htm
    They have added a few things:
    Convenience & Protection Group 1A (PIO) - $572
    Includes: [P0E] Splash Guards (PIO) And [Q0I] Wheel Arch Moldings (PIO)
    Auto-Dimming Mirror-Compass (PIO) - $186
    Automatic operation rear view mirror; Compass

If you take the base price for OB with CVT of $25 990 (destination included) and add the extra options the total should be $26 748. They are charging extra $300.

I have called and questioned they refused to comment. This is a tricky way to make some money. Be careful.
  • curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    Here is my internet sales manager experience in MA:

The challenge we have been facing is Subaru has more demand than supply.

Since Cash for Clunkers our active inventory went from an average of 150 active cars a month to about 30 and that is the case with every New England dealer.

On top of it Subaru came out with a whole new Outback and Legacy for 2010 and it has been explosive in the demand for the vehicle especially since it was named vehicle of the year by Motor Trend.

Right now in New England there is a total of about 10 - 2010 Outbacks with the 3.6R engine and everything else is in shipment. We have recieved a few into stock since it came out and we sold them for msrp.

The advantage of an order is we can show some flexability because we will never have to stock it into inventory and have it on the lot.

As far as Internet pricing offered by consumer sites there information comes third party so it does not always if ever reflect regional prices and the built in destinaton charge in the invoice.

So as simple as it can be I can get the vehicle you want it will just require alittle flexability based on time. If the vehicle is already made and getting ready for transit we can have it allocated to us we just won't know until we put in the official sold request.

I can probably get you close to Invoice on the car doing it this way and we do have a Dealer Documantery charge of $296 that is additional.

A little confusing as he states that people are paying MSRP but in the end I'll be lucky to pay (a little over) invoice...plus their fees.

Not sure how to proceed!
    Gees relax a little bit. They are not inflating the pricing... The extra $300 is the charge for the PZEV Zero Emissions engine which is REQUIRED in the state of PA. They are not inflating their prices, it's just a glitch that they are unable to show it in the options (just like you can't select it when building a model on Subaru's website). Subaru doesn't make it easy to find out about the charge, but you'll see it on Edmunds. Seriously can we all not over react and let the accusations fly?!?!? :confuse:

Rafferty is a great, legitimate dealer! I stand by them 100%.
    Also I am not sure who you talked to there, but I know Skip (my salesperson) is off today...so call back tomorrow and speak with him. Or ask for Kevin Rafferty - either one of them, I have no doubt, will set the record straight. ;)
    $300 over invoice doesn't seem terrible. You could wait for inventory to accumulate a bit. If you really-really want one then do the deal. You could try the new years eve 3:00 pm route and see if you can squeeze more. Sometimes you gotta have what you want and you don't want to wait. You have to decide if you want to grind out a better deal. Demand is high now - especially with winter here and awd.
    sweetsoul - Thanks for all that information. Sounds like you had a fantastic experience and hopefully that continues.

Edmunds requests that you not post the names of salespeople or contact information. ;)
    Sounds like they just want to get you down there in person so they can try to use their sales tactics on you and pressure you into buying. They will probably do the old bait and switch on you. (Tell you they are selling it at invoice and then add $1500 in ridiculous fees to get it back to nearly sticker price.) I wouldn't bother.
    Seriously - again? Rafferty Subaru, PA is not one of those dealers. I literally just picked up my new OB from them lastnight. The $300 MSRP difference is just the PZEV engine charge directly from Subaru, you'll find it in any other PA Subaru as well as several other states. All of you wanted the details of the transaction and I gave it you. It couldn't have been a better experience. All of you are looking for a good reputable dealer who won't play games, I gave that to you as well. I paid invoice, there were no hidden fees, no gimmicks, no tactics - I got exactly what I asked for from the extended warranty to my trade-in value. So I actually have the first-hand buying experience from start-to-finish at this dealer. I have given you my recommendation, that doesn't come lightly as if you read in previous posts I was burned by the first dealer I went to.

So take my experience, my information, or not. I am just trying to help...to support a good dealer with the props they deserve. Instead of all the negative buying experiences you typically see... I am actually posting a great one. Take it or leave it - it's up to you.
    While in theory this sounds like a great idea, I contacted three dealers for internet quotes. I never heard from them! I even emailed again to follow up. Still no bites.
    What dealers did you try to contact?
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    To all:

What is the possible price one can get now for 2010 4dr Wgn H6 Auto 3.6R Ltd with NAV and moon roof before TTL?

Thanks.
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    The lowest price you can get is the lowest price you can negotiate from all the dealers you contact. What they are willing to offer is something you'll eventually determine.
    Msrp 34658 may get 2-2400 off. But you will have to work or hire a broker and see what they can do.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Well, below is the example of price off MSRP 24,990 if you order one from dealer 23,285 ... you may use this as you base to negotiate with. Worst to worst you can simply order with the color you want ...

From my discussions with Dealer in NJ, unless you want Cypress Green - (I know where at least one of those is) 3.6R limited with MR +Nav is in tight supply. I was told the Nav supplier is behind with deliveries.

So if you find it in stock, they a likely to want full MSRP.

If you are prepared to wait you should be able to get about $2K off but delivery with Nav is unpredictable.
    I made contact Rafferty as you recommended (in fact via email) and would agree the response was competitive, quick and low pressure. I'll be making my decision on where to order my OB soon and this dealership is a candidate.
  • lirrmikelirrmike Member Posts: 4
    Yes and Yes to both questions. I like it so far. The one thing that is kind of unusual is that the car shuts off when the door is opened. Subaru says it is to prevent a double start. I gueess its a good satety feature so you dont kill the starter. Im just not 100% used to it.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    If you order one, the discount saving is between 1,500 - 2,000 off MSRP
  • ifontaineifontaine Member Posts: 24
    2.5i Limited w/ Power Moonroof. Sky Blue with the Black/Grey Leather. All weather floor mats, rear cargo net, rear bubper cover and Auto Dim Mirror w/ Homelink. $27,800 + TTL. They even gave me $2000 for a 7 year old Focus with over 133,000 miles on it. I've had it for 48 hours and can't stop smiling every time I see it or drive it!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It helped me prepare quite a bit.