Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nedlyjnedlyj Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2010
    I agree with the comments about good service departments being the ones that do more than the "average" service. I have also always found that it helps to establish a relationship with the service manager - and one in particular if it's a large dealer that has several managers.

However in my experience (albeit mainly with Honda) the service dept really just wants you to buy another "Honda", because they are an entirely separate cost center from the sales dept. and they simply want the service business - doesn't matter as much about exactly where the car was purchased. But again, that's just my personal experience with Honda. My experience with my local Nissan dealer on the other hand was that their service dept couldn't care less about anything... :) AND that did in fact stop me from getting another Nissan.

Hopefully my local Subaru dealer will be a good service experience.
  • familyguy9familyguy9 Member Posts: 17
    I don't get your reasoning, but I don't need to. I think the most important thing is that we have this forum where we can exchange ideas and information about the quality of dealers so that we can make more informed decisions.
    edited August 2010
    OK, so I'm confused now as to what exactly was the point? No one said a higher priced sale means better service.

If you're looking for the best Sales deal - go with Dealer #2. Where's the question?
    What I was really looking for was whether the Dealer #2 price seemed so low to folks out there that it was a likely bait and switch. Any information on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    edited August 2010
    Very possible it is a straight-up deal, they're still making money. Only way to find out for sure is to proceed down that path and see what happens. No one can answer that question here. Good luck. :)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I agree with nedlyi's argument. Familyguy, I think you should move forward (cautiously) with the second dealer. Keep in mind that the quote was given over the phone, so you may well run into the problem of "I/we never said that." If so, either move on to the next dealer or politely threaten to do so and see if that changes their mind.

Service and sales are two separate issues altogether. My local dealer, 350 miles from the next nearest, is absolutely pathetic in terms of sales. Their service department is good. I have tried several times to negotiate a price on a car there and never get anything close to a reasonable deal. As such, I typically save $2500 (after the cost of bringing it home) by buying 2200 miles away in Seattle. It is not personal; it is business.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Well, more news. Reached out to another dealer who came back on the phone and was able to quote me $25,600, which is $300 less than the quote I was concerned was part of a bait and switch. He just faxed over the contract so I know it is the real deal.

Out the door, $28,000.

Thanks for all the advice and banter.
    Now that's a good deal :) Congratulations!
  • fasttexfasttex Member Posts: 24
    That is one of the most intelligent comments that I have seen on this forum in a while. Local small town dealers can't compete with the big city dealers on price. Sometimes they may have only 20 Subarus for sale and rely on their service departments to live. Generally 80% of the income is generated by parts and service. Even though it's only business, when it comes down to only a few hundred dollars, I will buy close to home because it is more about relationships. To have a dealer on your side dealing with SOA is a real plus and could save thousands over the life of a vehicle. Thanks from a small town dealer!!! :):):)
    Picked up the car today. The deal was as advertised. Out the door for 28,000 at Pine Belt Subaru in Lakewood NJ.
    Maybe this is an issue in small towns. In central NJ where I am, I have at least 7 Subaru dealers within 45 minutes of my home. I expect each of them has an incentive to be on my side dealing with SOA for referrals and for repeat business.
    Picked up the car last night. $29,000 out the door (7% tax sucks). Good buying experience from this dealer (Kings Subaru, Mason, OH) - very Low pressure (they used to be a Saturn dealer).

Car really is beautiful and well thought-out.

Two minor interior cosmetics dealer needs to fix, but other than that nothing of note. It really is a nice vehicle for the $. Hopefully it will hold up to its reputation - wife wants to keep it at least 10 years :)
  • volks_rabbitvolks_rabbit Member Posts: 3
    Ordered 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium + Graphite Gray + Auto CVT + Power Moonroof + HK Audio + Media hub + Rear bumper cover for $26,474.... a wait of about 4 weeks... pretty excited!!
    Most of the dealers would not do it for less than $27,100...
    edited August 2010
    Not to question, but... really? And you're sure they're quoting you the right model and package?

I'm only asking because that's $900 under dealer cost - $1800 under invoice, and $2500 under sticker (sticker price on that is $29,909). I've never heard of anyone discounting anywhere near that much. Even Von Bortels (the chepest quotes around) are quoting $27,737 for that setup. If you're getting that price on that package, you have scored a truly fantastic deal.
    oops just realized I didn't include the destination fee of $745, which others include while posting the quote... guess its a fair deal! Total before taxes and lic comes to $27,220 for 2011 OB 2.5i Premium + Auto + PM+HK+MediaHub+Rear bumper cover...
    edited August 2010
    Still an impressive deal at that cost too. That's only $300 more than I paid for mine and I didn't have the HK upgrade - an additional $1100 upgrade. So, yeah, I'm about $800 jealous. Congrats. :)
  • fasttexfasttex Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2003
    Also, not to question but that is less than an employee, any VIP deal or any other deal that I have seen EVER, EVER, EVER !!!!! Dealer invoice is $28950 on that exact vehicle?????????????????????????????????? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    One other note - you never mention the AWP but as far as I know you have to get that with the HK and/or PM packages. That's another $500+. Does your quote include that?
  • skyiceskyice Member Posts: 21
    how about this deal?

2011 outback 2.5i limited, silver/hblack leather interior, moonroof package, media hub, splash guard for $29,657 including destination fee. This is the best I can get.
  • therdrtherdr Member Posts: 1
    For this exact car I have got them down to $29,901 with AWP. I'm still working them but I would jump on your deal for sure.(Vermont)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Still an amazing deal, congrats!
    edited August 2010
    with the VIP program, the dealer can offer 28,705 for 2011 2.5i limited with moonroof, silver/black, splash guards and media hub.
  • moose09moose09 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for $30,762 for the above model, which is about $2000 less than Edmunds price. (Price does not include tax, title, etc.) Seems too good to be true...any thoughts? This dealer is ~200 miles away but my local dealer has no 6 cyl. models in stock. Thanks.
  • zzebiezzebie Member Posts: 2
    That seems to be a nice deal. I just got a quote 29,909 for a 3.6 Limited Outback with no packages.Would you mind sharing the details of this dealership?

Thanks and wish you luck,
    zzebie
  • scoot5743scoot5743 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Hi, I live in Michigan and ended up getting this model for $28,865. It is graphite gray metallic and comes with moonroof, harman Kardon speakers basically everything except navigation. The MSRP was $31027. I went on truecar.com and also amexnetwork.zag.com and this was the best that I could do on the price. Just wondering if anyone else purchased this same vehicle and got a better price? I checked with 2 other dealers and they both said that they couldn't touch this price so I am hoping that it was a good deal.
    The price is from Autobarn Subaru of Countryside in Countryside, IL, a southwest Chicago suburb. I worked with the internet sales guy on the deal.
  • houston_tnhouston_tn Member Posts: 19
    Hey guys, for those who have driven both, would you say the 2.5 engine is suffice? I'm coming from a '99 Corolla and I'm tired of not having any horsepower to speed up on uphill onramps or pass cars on the freeway here in Houston. I know it'll be an upgrade regardless coming from my previous car, but will it be that much of a difference? Everyone here drives really aggressively and I just want something with a good 'umph'. The 3.6 engine has it, but is just a little too much. I'm really not trying to go over $25-26k. I appreciate your guys' input. Thanks ahead of time.
  • ptomasptomas Member Posts: 2
    Purchased this car brand new, with three options: puddle lights, media hub, and rear bumper cover (and also moon roof, as stated in title). Price of vehicle (excluding doc fee and sales tax) was $28,403.

Could NOT have done this without hiring carbargains.org to shop around all dealerships for the best price. There was a notable variability from dealership to dealership regarding their lowest offers submitted. We bought at the very end of the month from a Bay Area, CA dealership.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    I know what you mean by Houston drivers, I spent 25 years there. But rest assured the 2.5 is enough, at least in the Legacy. I'm not a real aggressive driver but I always prepare for any "escape" and I find the 2.5 to have as much "when needed" as my 3.5 Maxima did. There doesn't seem to be any delay when you kick it.

Also I do most of my driving in the Colorado front range, 5,000 feet or more, so that's another consideration.

Do what the salesman recommended I do when I was concerned; throw the golf clubs in the trunk, put the wife and someone else in the car and head up into the mountains. I realize you can't head up into the mountains, but trying a standing start on the 610 east bridge will give you an approximation.
    So, I have to pay the carbargains.org $200 first and then they will look for the lowest price for me. But the risk is they may end up the same price that I have already gotten plus the $200. Am I right on this?
    The Legacy is priced a bit lower than the OB, so if you don't need a wagon or the clearance, you may be able to get a 3.6 Legacy for about the same price.
    I appreciate the feedback on the engines. The Legacy is a nice car no doubt and I've test driven the 3.6 version which has plenty of power. I'm just thinking about "the family car" which is why I like the Outback so much. Plus the amount it rains in Houston, I love how much ground clearance the Outback has. Plus all that great space in the back for my bike or whatever I need to pick up is great. Maybe I'll try to get a bunch of friends to come with me and sit in the Outback as I try to get on I-10 or something.
  • ptomasptomas Member Posts: 2
    Yes, you pay them $200-- but they earn that $200 when they turn around and get it back for you-- and then some-- on your deal.
  • harrytddharrytdd Member Posts: 29
    During the Labor Day weekend, I was able to purchase the OB at a price I deemed as a great great price. I had done my homework with Costco buying and Truecar.com. The MSRP was 31314. with rear bumper cover, shock sensors, and splash guards. The price was 27999. plus T&L. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and will be glad to share my information.
    Just to update...we decided for a different 3.6R at the same dealership. It had some added features (puddle lights, towing hitch, all weather mats, something else that's escaping me right now) and the price was $31,426. The main reason we got it was the color--my wife hated the graphite; said it looked blue-ish. Went with black instead. We did have some mechanical problems at ~60 miles but the dealership has bent over backwards to rectify the issue and is having the regional Subaru rep contact us. I have been very pleased with Autobarn Subaru and would recommend them to anyone. Very easy to work with and will give you a very competitive price plus great service.
  • zzebiezzebie Member Posts: 2
    Very nice.My wife likes the black or the red. Have a quote of 30,600 for a 3.6R Limited with a moonroof with lifetime powertrain warranty. Will have to travel around 2 hours to get the vehicle, and they will drive the same distance.
    I am sorry to know about the mechanical problem, and hope they fix it soon for you. Will update you about my shopping. I am located in NY, so not sure how the shipping thing will work with Autobarn Subaru.
    Glad to hear they're taking care of you. Congrats, too.
  • don626don626 Member Posts: 4
    Ordered a 2011 Pearl White Outback 2.5i Limited W/Sunroof Package on August 31st from largest volume dealer in New England located in Manchester NH. There was a giant poster on the showroom wall congratulating them for breaking an all time sales record for the previous month.
    It included: pearl white body side moldings,rear chrome garnish, splash guards, moon-roof air deflector, rear bumper cover, all weather floor mats and front license plate mount.
    I'm being told it will take 12 weeks. I guess white is hard to find for some reason? According to sources on the internet the MSRP including destination was $31,792 (Incudes the $300. PZEV Emissions fee) and invoice was $29,501. documentation and title was $265 ( 6.25% taxes will be paid at RMV in Mass.) Out the door cost was $28,999. I believe the invoice will also include a $622. regional advertising cost for this area which would bring the invoice to $30,123. and would mean I am buying the car for $1,389 under invoice plus tax and title. sounds too good to be true but I have a signed agreement. This dealer must be getting incentives from SOA for volume sales in order to discount a car this much!
    If you live in SF bay area, I highly recommend Livermore Subaru, ask for Lapon.
    The two volume dealers in this area couldn't match their quote.
  • thor14thor14 Member Posts: 17
    After years of dreaming and months of research I finally purchased my Outback last night. The VIP program made the vehicle purchase price easy. Negotiating the mini-van trade in was a bit of work, but I eventually got the Edmunds trade in price. Since this is the first "brand new" car I have ever owned, the experience with the dealer was interesting. Once they realized I was serious about purchasing and serious about walking out, they met my price rather quickly.

I love this vehicle. Its everything I wanted and there is no steering shimmy today.

Bye bye minivan. You served us well, but time to downsize. And maybe look a bit cooler. Of course, "there are no cool dads"- Anthony Bourdain.

Thor
    How much did ya pay Thor?
  • thor14thor14 Member Posts: 17
    2.5 Premium CVT, AWP-moon roof package, convenience & protection group 1C. Retail $28,682. With ASHA (American Speech Hearing Association) VIP discount $26,789.
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Hello,
    Would you mind giving me the name of the dealeship from whom you bought your car ?
    Thanks
    Can anyone who has purchased a new Subaru and saw the invoice from the Dealer tell me if the invoice shows a Regional Advertising Fee? If so... how much was it and where are you from? Someone told me that it's $622.00 here in New England and its listed and added to the invoice price by the manufacturer and the Dealer has to pay it. Is this true?
    Sure...Manchester Subaru or Subaru of Manchester. Located in Manchester, NH. But I have to tell you, it involved a trade of an 05 Subaru. They gave me Kelly Blue Book value on the trade.
  • harrytddharrytdd Member Posts: 29
    Mine was purchased from Livermore Subaru... the price paid was $27999, which was $450.below the TrueCar.com certified price. There was no trade-in involved. The MSRP price was $31314. Of course, there were local taxes and Calif. license fees added. Good luck..
    $622 per car seems absurd.

Even selling just 200k cars per year, that means Subaru would have spent over $124 MILLION dollars on advertising.

Somehow I doubt that's true.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    The adv. fee we pay here in NE is for the Boch commercials for NE Subaru, but given that, the adv. fee on the invoice for my 10 Forester was $436. This was 2% of the invoice price.
  • dolphinedolphine Member Posts: 2
    the price $27999 were included tax and Fees? how much you got a interest?
    Thanks.
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2010
    SCAM, SCAM, SCAM. Subaru discontinued the advertising fee on all models starting mid February 2006. They just increased all cars' invoice price by $275. There is no such thing as an advertising fee on the invoice. If there was one on your invoice, it was put there by your scam artist dealer. It's total BS. Just another way to scam $275 out of the customers.

If you are actually talking about a "DEALER" Advertising Fee, that is different but should not be added on any invoice or window sticker. The dealer advertising fee is just an amount the dealer will charge to make money back on THEIR advertising costs. This is NOT the same thing as REGIONAL advertising fee which would be included on an invoice (just not on a Subaru invoice after 2006).