Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Sounds like your price on the car is very good! What is the deductible on the warranty? $1,100 is a great price if you're looking at low or no deductible.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bsymombsymom Member Posts: 1
    Interested in 2.51 Prem. with auto/CVT, AWP, rear bumper cover, floor mats and moldings. Best offer to date is $25,000. Good deal?
  • krod1108krod1108 Member Posts: 1
    Please bare with me...I'm new to the forum world.

I may be able to purchase a new 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT with PZEV and All Weather Package for $24988 (without taxes, licensing, etc). Is this a good price? As I understand it, this is below invoice, but I'm not convinced when the dealer says "I'm not making any money on this". I've researched this to death (TMV, invoice, many dealers in our area). I'm ready to purchase but just can't get myself to put the money down unless I know whether or not I am "getting a good deal". I'm happy haggling a lower price, but can't determine what a low price would be (that is, what is the lowest price someone has been able to purchase this same car for?). TMV doesn't tell you that.

I'd appreciate any feedback and advice.
  • bluelaserbluelaser Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2011
    Hello, I am in Minnesota and just got a quotation from Morries Subaru for 2011 Outback 2.5i CVT limited with power moonroof. Dealer also provides free two years oil change and car wash and free lifetime powertrain Warranty:

MSRP:$30665
    Invoice: $28880
    Dealer price: $29165+TTL

The dealer said they are one price/non-negotiation store. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. The lifetime powertrain warranty is from the dealer not from Subaru.
    Thanks
    Bluelaser
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    What are the MSRP and invoice on that model? What area are you in? Most people seem to be able to get close, or even below invoice, but the model you describe doesn't have many options so invoice may be a great deal.

Watch the dealer on "bogus" fees.

easypar
    IMO the "dealer" powertrain warranty isn't worth much. What if you move? Besides, most first owner don't hold onto their vehicles long enough to take advantage of powertrain warranty, and they're really only warrantying the part over and above the manufacturer's warranty.

I would think on a limited (higher price) you should be able to get down to, or below invoice on an Outback. On average driving two years of oil changes is worth maybe $200 depending on how much you drive and where you normally get your oil changed. The car wash may be worht quite a bit, but is it only when you bring the car in for service (likely) or any time you want it washed? And how close are they to your house/office.

Good luck

easypar
  • howg2211howg2211 Member Posts: 2
    I think I made a reasonable deal. Got the 3.6L Outback Limited edition (no moonroof) with all weather mats and Media Hub for $30,300. At least I think it was reasonable?
  • cathyv1cathyv1 Member Posts: 4
    We ended up passing on the warranty. I think that price was with some deductible, but Im not sure how much. Consumer reports doesnt recommend getting an extended warranty on a reliable car, so we took a pass. Hope I wont regret that!
  • docmitchdocmitch Member Posts: 3
    2011 Outback 3.6R Limited with nav/moon, 2500 out of pocket, 36 months, 15 K mileage leased for 460..
    edited February 2011
    Cathy, don't fret over it just yet! You can purchase the extended warranty at any time during the initial warranty period (3 years / 36,000 miles) should you change your mind down the road.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • snachtigallsnachtigall Member Posts: 3
    Used my tried and true "internet buyer" fax and e-mail.

Got a nicely loaded 3.6 R with moonroof, remote start for $1300 under invoice with current February 2011 lease and other incentives.

Next best offer was $500 under invoice.

Best part, it was the local dealer 4 miles from my house.

Biggest compromise: Had to give up Ruby Red For Satin White Pearl.

Not a prob. to save $800.

Thank you, Edmunds, for teaching me how to get the best deal.

Steven, my third suburu, two foresters 9 and 12 years ago.

(I was waiting for a bigger 2nd row seat)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, congrats.

Wonder how they beat the rest by that wide a margin? Maybe another dealer went out of business and they bought their inventory at the other dealer's loss?

I found a Miata like that once, but it was an automatic. Bummer!
  • ken3878ken3878 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my Outback LTD 6 cyl at Bloomington Subaru.
    Got dealers invoice. I considered it a good deal. Good site to check prices is Truecar.com It gives the average prices paid for vehicles in your area.
  • bluelaserbluelaser Member Posts: 7
    I finally bought the Outback from White Bear Subaru:
    2011 Outback Premium+AWP+moonroof+All weather mat+splash guard+rear bumper cover,
    Car: $26532 +TTL
    Trade In: $8332 for 2003 Acura RSX with 49600 miles.
    Basically I got the new car for dealer invoice and the trade in for KBB good price. Not a great deal but I think it is an easy and good deal.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I think the guy was hungry for business.

He priced the car at invoice less all the available deals,maybe 100-200 less.

Always good to buy close to the end of month when qupotas can save you money.
  • nuynnuyn Member Posts: 1
    Just went and picked up my 2011 Outback earlier this evening. Graphite Gray Metallic with PZEV, automatic CVT transmission, All Weather mats --> $22500 + TTL.

This deal kind of fell into my lap. Gotta love shopping for cars on the last day of the month. ;-)

Proud 1st time Outback owner.
  • cumcmecumcme Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I just got my new Azurite Blue Outback 2.5i Limited
    with Power Moonroof ( & rear view mirror w/ integrated Rear Vision Camera),
    Puddle Lights, Rear Bumper Cover, and Rear Chrome Garnish.

It is leased from Subaru of Santa Monica, California.

MSRP: $31,425
    INVOICE: $29,479
    DEALER PRICE: $28,293

42 month,
    15k/yr,
    $2,000 total down,
    and $350+tax a month.

Do you guys think it's a good deal?

It is my first Subaru and I'm so excited. Those paddle lights are so pretty and I think
    it is perfect car for my wife.
  • skyiceskyice Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2011
    Your price looks very good to me! It is about $1200 off the invoice. My deal (buy not lease) is $28,990 for 2.5 i limited with moonroof package, rear bumper cover, media hub, all weather mats, body side moulding, and splash guards. The invoice is $29,757 (truecar.com). The MSRP is $31,861.

I wonder if there is a difference between the lease price and the sale price.
  • tommy312tommy312 Member Posts: 15
    Picked up my first Subaru 2 weeks ago & love it. 3.6 ltd azurite blue moonroof, All weather mats, Cargo nets, rear bumper cover & Remote start 31k. Went back & forth between 2 dealers for best price . My wife drives an 06 X5 that became hers after we got engaged
    but I like driving the outback more. I've had A few BMW's, Lexus's & an MKX. This car may not look as pretty, stylish or get the blood pumping but it's fun to drive & you can't beat the price.
    They told me that the Sale Price would be $28,505 instead of $28293 if I bought the car.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    Congrats on the new Outback!

An Outback could get my blood pumping... if I could track down a manual XT from the previous generation! Sadly, the asking price on most '08-09 Outbacks is close to what the real transaction prices were when they were new! :(
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    Isn't that funny? My brother is car shopping and used ones are ridiculous. May as well buy new. They lose almost no value.
  • lihualihua Member Posts: 1
    I am in Stamford,CT and just test drove the Outback 2.5 Limited. I love it. Now I am doing research on the price. The best quote I got for the 2.5 LImited CVT + moonroof package is $28,399 not including tax and registration. The dealer basically offers me almost the invoice is about $28,500 on the limited CVT+Moonroof, which I think can still be negotiated down. I am shooting for about $27,000 and hopefully it's possible.
    Just under invoice is pretty good, once I got to that point I basically just got them to put in the "add-on" that I wanted at way low prices. Things like wind deflector, cargo nets, ipod connection, "Homelink", floormats etc.

Good luck

easypar
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you recently purchased a car and got a better loan than you expected, please email pr@edmunds.com to talk with a reporter about it. Please respond with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, March 8, 2011.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you live in a warm climate and recently bought a Subaru, a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2011 and provide your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mister8mister8 Member Posts: 5
    Who was the sales person at Santa Monica Subaru?
    please e-mail me your e-mail address. I think I can't post sales person's name or phone number on the forum.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    Exactly....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• one_plus_oneone_plus_one Member Posts: 1
    Get it from first round of email. And I am suprise to see it's better than I expected.

Any ideas how good /bad it is ? I know it's a very very basic Outback. But I like 6SP though.
  • outback69outback69 Member Posts: 2
    Been shopping around for about a month. I think I got the best price around. Here is where we are at. Scheduled to pick it up tomorrow.

2011 Subaru Outback Premium w/ AWP, Media Hub, Splash Guards, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Rear Cargo Net, All Weather Floor Mats, Rear Bumper Cover. MSRP $27,612 Out the door price including all taxes, title, etc. $26,895.
  • scudderascuddera Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking at a very similar package this coming week. May I ask what your negotiated final price was? It would be great since I know tax, title and licensing fees vary from state to state (Wisconsin). Thanks!
  • katragaddakatragadda Member Posts: 1
    $31650 for car with MSRP $35335
  • papaya1040papaya1040 Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2011
    If you are in SE Wi, might as well drive to IL, you are not getting any good deals here. MSRP 27612, Shoot for 25650k for a prem w/AWP, plus similar add-ons. Dealer cost is 25143. Good luck.
  • outback69outback69 Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP was $27,612. Final sales price was $24,285 + $498 in dealer fees. Grayson Subaru in Knoxville, Tn
  • corevetcorevet Member Posts: 2
    MRSP of $35, 564. Being quoted $31,300. Comes with moon roof and navagation, and a few other small options. Does this seem like a good deal? SF bay area dealership.
  • bradmartbradmart Member Posts: 1
    Working with a dealer in the NYC area. Considering the Outback LTD 2.5i AWD and was told by the dealer he would charge me invoice price for the vehicle. The actual price is TBD, as he is trying to locate a vehicle with the options and color I want. Basically, looking for a loaded vehicle with all the options (leather, moonroof, bluetooth, heated seats, Nav, backup cam, etc, etc).

Is this a a good deal? I believe there is a dealer holdback, so I assume he's making $ offering the car at invoice in any event. Still, it seems to me that there are people out there doing better and the TMV seems to indicate that I should be doing slightly better.

Also, while the promise of invoice sounds great, I am a little concerned because he told me I would need to pay an additional $550 to add XM and $550 to add remote start, plus another $250 to add body side moldings. He says that the XM and remote start are installed at the dealer and installation alone is $100 each. Similar story with the side moldings. Sounds fishy. Doesn't the LTD with Harmon Kardon come standard with XM??? Isn't remote start an option in one of the convenience packages?

Something doesn't seem right. Hoping someone can help me sort this out. Thanks in advance!
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    bradmart
    I'd give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. I'm looking at an Outback limited too. This site as well as other sites including Subaru's own site and brochure don't reflect the exact way the options and packages come in on the car stickers. From what I've seen, it does appear that XM is part of the HK Audio package but the remote start is a $424 option. The Body Side Molding is a $249 option. Also, the wheel arch moldings, splash guards, bumper cover and puddle lights might come separately, or 2 or 3 of them in a mini package or most of them together in a package. Fortunately, most of these can be added by the dealer if you want one of them.

You might try looking at local dealer's or regional inventories, select 2.5 Limited's and start with those with MSRP's of $32,000 and higher.
  • corevetcorevet Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone provide the cost and dealer information for the best price on a 80,000 or 100,000 mile extended warranty? I'm being quoted $1610 for a 5 year/80,000 mile bumper to bumper. Seems high.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    definitely shop around...go over to the subaruoutback site and do a search for warranty......you also have up to the 3/36 period to purchase the extended warranty at the same pricing....so no rush to buy an additional two years now...when you can wait and get an honest five years...the mileage doesnt convey over however....is my understanding...make sure its a SOA warranty as well and not a third party after market warranty...
    It doesn't matter when you purchase the extended warranty within the 3/36, but regardless of the timing, the extended warranty coverage is based on the in-service date of the car for the time portion of the warranty and the odometer reading for the mileage portion. So, if you wait until just shy of the 3/36 and you have 30,000 miles on the car, a 5/60 extended warranty will give you another two years of coverage and 30,000 miles. If you purchase the warranty the day you buy the car, it will take effect at the expiration of the 3/36, giving you still two years and 30,000 miles (assuming the same usage as cited above).
    thanks for the info.....I purchased a GM extended warranty from another dealer other than whom I bought the car....GM you must purchase before your reach 12/12 or the prices escalate.....and the dealer placed in the warranty in effect based on the date bought, excluding the mileage....and issued the coverage card accordingly.....if only SOA would do the same....
  • rp64rp64 Member Posts: 13
    Trying to get this info. before making a purchasing decision. Does anyone know if the new 2.5 FB engine is going to be dropped into the 2012 Outback?
    dont know...you might want to check out the subaruoutback forum for that question.....different website than here
    Subaru can be slow in rolling out updates...I predict the Impreza will be the next to get that engine.
  • gr26gr26 Member Posts: 12
    Paid $28,845 for this car, with Media Hub and All-Weather Mats. Car should be here in 3-4 weeks. Price includes title and documentation fee (no sales tax in NH!). Dealer was Tri-City Subaru in Somersworth, NH. Good experience, salesman let us progress at our pace. They came down from their initial price. I could have gone $200 less at another dealer, but previous experiences at the other dealer haven't been great.
    Can't evaluate a price without specifics.
    What was the "sticker price?"

Did you use Edmunds.com pricing engine?
  • jacobjacobsonjacobjacobson Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a Subaru Outback from Dan D'Andrea at Grand Subaru in Bensenville. Got quotes by email. Looked good. Took a train from Springfield to Chicago. Purchased the car. He had all paperwork ready. A very pleasant experience. The business manager was very courteous too. Our train was late so we reached the car dealership at 7PM. 2 hrs later we had a brand new car. I have had it only for 2-3 days but everything looks as promised so far.
    Congrats.
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    Why do you think this is a good deal? Subaru owners have to be stupid or part of a cult! Hyundai Santa fe with all the bells and whistles, V6, SE tow hitch, blue tooth, remote start, :confuse: etc and a 100,000 mile warranty for $24,500. Why even look at a Subaru?