Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gumyounggumyoung Member Posts: 11
    Good deal!
    Do you mind to tell us if you trade-in your car?
    I think this is one factor that affects new car price.
    thanks
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    How do you figure?
    Up or down w/trade-in?
    Just curious.
    Based on http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm

"Think twice about trading in your used car at the dealer!
    Dealer's never give you fair market value for your car. They offer wholesale value, which is much less. This is so they can sell your trade-in and make a profit. The wholesale value is quoted in Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, or most of the other internet car pricing sites. The problem is, many dealers like to low ball the wholesale figure too."
  • iyyiiyyi Member Posts: 2
    There was a trade in. However, I negotiated the price via email before I even stepped into the dealership to begin talking about the trade in.

I will say that the puddle lights weren't initially in the price negotiations though. Turns out that someone else had put a deposit on the car we originally negotiated so they went and brought in another car with the exact same specs + puddle lights and gave it to me at the same price.
    Thank you for the input.
    Enjoy the new car! :)
  • mykeytea_ilmykeytea_il Member Posts: 4
    2.5 Outback Limited
    +pkg 4 (sunroof, mirror)
    + Side Moldings
    +All weather matts
    +Puddle lights
    +Rear bumper cover
    +splash guards
    MSRP 31665

Negotiated price of car 27995 including destination. + sales tax, title, fees (156). Illinois mandates the amounts on these three items -- non-negotiable except for doc which could go less than 156.).

After this was finalized, we then talked about a trade.

Found dealer (Grand Subaru) via the Subaru website, in Bensenville, il. Dealt via email with Dan D. Dan was great and did not make me do a lot of back and forth with the car. We did do a bit on the trade which I got the price boosted by 10%. Car was waiting for the test drive when we pulled in on Saturday PM. Finance guy was another story, I heard the '2more minutes' every5-10 minutes three times. Eventually we got in and when we got over his astonishment that I did not want their (3rd party) warranty the deal closed quickly. It was typical nice Saturday afternoon, with other customers buying cars, so I am not sure it the total time was too long or not, but beginning to end it was about 2 hours. My record for in and out is 40 minutes including a trade in and a test drive.
  • tripeltripel Member Posts: 12
    wow, fantastic deal -- that's exactly the one i was looking for (though now am considering a 3.6)
    in the NYC tri-state area i can't get anyone under $30K all in for that car
    The dealer is really close to Ohare. Fly 1 way, see the town, drive home.
  • mrg1601mrg1601 Member Posts: 2
    Keerock,

Just bought the car today.

Limited w/Moonroof
    Puddle Lights
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Rear Cargo Net
    Rear Vision Camera
    Splash Guards

MSRP: $31,706
    Selling Price: 29,400 + tax
    I also have $250 coupon from the Auto show so total deal is $29,150.

Not a good deal compared to others but I'm happy with it. :)
  • rayrussrayruss Member Posts: 4
    Hey tripel, I too am from NYC in Queens. What other dealers have you gotten quotes from, in Queens & Long Island. I am in search of an 2012 Outback Premium CVT w/AWP. I have gotten 2 quotes of $26,102 and $26,075. Is this a good deal or can I do better? I have not counter offer yet.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    You're still $400 under invoice before you add in the coupon, so you're definitely in "good deal" territory. Those others? Those are great deals! ;)

Congrats on the new Outback!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    He doesn't need to fly to IL. He can find similar deal in DE.
    NY and new England area should boycott OB for that additional $1300 regional Ad fee.
  • tripeltripel Member Posts: 12
    Just to clarify, was that your out-the-door price?
    or was tax on top of that?
    If ppl can get out the door thousands less than MSRP, that seems like an awesome deal to me.
    Closest I got was pretty much at MSRP for a 2.5 Limited w Moonroof, for around $31K. As taxes, tags and licence would've been another $3K or so, that's what I was saving ....but trying to do better...if you're under $28K all in, that's sweet.
    I might fly to Chi for that ..or Deleware -- that do-able?

To the other Q on NYC, I went to Koeppel in Queens to test drive, and they tried to sell me pretty weak deal, so left that place. then used Truecar and was emailing several places. Liberty Subaru in Paramus NJ was the most responsive, and got down to the deal that basically negated TTL cost.

But I'm in no rush as I can wait through the winter for the best deal (no need to pay for a garage in NYC through the winter!)
    I was in to a Subaru dealership here in the Detroit area on Saturday looking at a base model with alloy wheel package. I had the truecar statement which put the sale price at @$2000 of the MSRP. Actually I was hoping for more but this was without negotiation. When it came to my trade-in was where they tried to make their money back. Bluebook says my current vehicle is worth @$4000 and the salesman said they would probably offer @$1000 but they came back at$2200. No go. I'll try again later.
    They weren't in any hurry to sell the car anyways as the vehicle I wanted was "in transit". No sense going out of your way to sell a car you don't even have yet.
    Now that I have waited I am thinking about the new XV out next year.
    Price of car was 27995 including destination. Taxes and 156 doc fee and plate transfer were additional. Since these vary state to state (and county to county) I don't think you can compare based on that. Some states doc fees are hundreds more. In Illinois the sales tax is also computed on the net price less the trade, so that will also goof the numbers up. Invoice on the car I got was 29373. There has to be a holdback out there, but I couldn't nail that down. I'm sure he didn't lose any money over this.

Here is the extract from my dealer with his quote for an OTD price:

MSRP $31,665
    Invoice $29,373

Selling Price $27,995
    Doc Fee 156.08
    Tax 2,042.77 ( Lake County )
    New Plates 219
    ====================
    Grand Total $30,012.85
    **DESTINATION AND DELIVERY INCLUDED IN PRICE QUOTE**
    I don't think residents in NY and New England area can get a price close to other areas.
    (1) PZEV partial zero emission vehicle $300, is required on 4 cylinders in CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA
    (2) If you check truecar, you will find a $1300 regional Ad fee which is not applied to IL, DE, or other southern states.

$1600 extra on your sticker price compared with same trim in other areas.
  • drgomerdrgomer Member Posts: 1
    I have a quote for the following from a local dealer. How does this fair with what others are getting?

2012 Outback Premium 2.5i CVT

26,572 + TTL Premium Pkg: all weather pkg, wheel arch molding, rear bumper cover, all season mats, wheel locks, remote engine starter, and auto dimming mirror w/compass and homelink.

25,581 + TTL Premium Pkg: all weather pkg only.

Thanks!
    IMHO
    I think can be $500 lower if you are in new england area.
    may be slightly different if you apply 0%APR

here is a quote I got before negotiation:
    MSPR $27620
    invoice is $26328
    your zag discount is $900 bring it down to $25428 before TTL

If you are not in NE, subtract 1600~1300 from above number.
  • jpelletierjpelletier Member Posts: 12
    I'm confused -- so are you saying the price is higher in NE or lower? Thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Higher, due to the "regional ad fee" tacked onto the vehicles by the regional distributor.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 66goatlover66goatlover Member Posts: 1
    No Dealer will sell you a 2012 Outback as described or Not, for 2200(1300+900) Back off Invoice and that I guarantee.
  • quantifirequantifire Member Posts: 21
    Picked up above vehicle with MSRP of $29,609 for $26,985 or about $500 under invoice. 3 year 15K miles per year lease. MF .001 residual 51%. In and out in less than 2 hours, dealt with Internet Manager had quote ahead of time. Greater Sacramento California area. Pick up vehicle this weekend after Master Cylinder replacement. True car is $700 under invoice now, but didn't want to drive over an hour to get that price, rather deal locally.
    i checked Truecar.com. it does show transaction in that area between 25506~25750, which is not far from the number I got, 25428.
  • arkdarklesonarkdarkleson Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2011
    Just picked up a new outback after shopping around for a week. Out of all the dealers in Northeast PA, best deals were in Allentown. Dealers in my area were giving me $300 more than book value on my trade- in, but expected me to pay MSRP for the new car. Dealers in Allentown matched the trade in, and discounted the new outback. It was a no-brainier.

MSRP 28,081 on 2.5i premium/all weather w/ cargo net, fender & splash guards.
    Paid 25,790 before Trade, Tax and tags.
  • maodouchongmaodouchong Member Posts: 1
    Options: front bumper under-guard, rear bumper cover, rear cargo net, auto dimming mirror with home link, wheel lock, splash guard.
    Price: 24500$ before TTL
    OTD: 26350$
  • rdyrdy Member Posts: 36
    2012 premium CDD - 02 + All weather pkg + PZEV

MSRP $27370.00
    $25200.00 + Reg + title

Portland Oregon
  • bluecarredcarbluecarredcar Member Posts: 3
    Two Houston dealerships are having discounts on 2012 Outbacks. E-mail the internet/fleet managers for details. Both of them were prompt and courteous.

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
    + Option Package 4 (Power Moonroof, Rear Vision Camera, Homelink)
    + Body Mold
    + All Weather Floormats
    + Puddle Lights
    + Rear Bumper Cover
    + 24-mo maintenance
    + 0% financing

MSRP $31,536.00
    Invoice $29,369

Purchased $27,536 + TTL
    $4,000 below MSRP, $1,833 below invoice
  • bluecarredcarbluecarredcar Member Posts: 3
    And this purchase did not involve a trade-in.
    wow! 1833 below invoice, this is a great price! I just bought one with 1350 below invoice.
  • smile_ccsmile_cc Member Posts: 13
    Hello in the New England area (MA) and could not get dealers to go under $28,000 as I see others had success in other areas of the US.

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
    + Option Package 4 (Power Moonroof, Rear Vision Camera, Homelink)
    + All Weather Floormats
    + Cargo Tray
    + Rear Bumper Cover
    + Splash Guards
    + License Plate Bracket

MSRP $31,465
    Invoice @ $29,343 (not sure on actual invoice price)

Purchased $28,500 (includes destination charge of $775).
    Price did not include:
    Sales tax
    Doc Fees
    Registration/Plate Transfer
    Doc Fees information:

Patrick Subaru, Shrewsbury MA - $289
    Metro West Subaru, Natick MA - $296
    Cityside Subaru, Belmont, MA - $279
    Clay Subaru, Norwood, MA - $354

When we bought a Subaru (Dec 2011) - we called the dealers above and negotiated over the phone. Clay was disorganized and Quirk was very rude over the phone as they insisted we must come to their showroom.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I'm thinking of getting the 3.6 Limited. I live in Connecticut. I'm not clear about whether it comes/must come with the 3.6 engine.
  • mtbmommymtbmommy Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to purchase and see that tons of you are buying for under invoice, but I can't get a single dealer in So Cal to even get close to invoice, for a base model. Glendale was super rude to me on the phone twice, so definitely not going there. Any good dealers? I am in Ventura County, but will travel.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    The only thing that I can see that might be causing it is that you're looking at a BASE model. Regardless of the % discount one is getting the fact that you're starting at a lower number means that the ABSOLUTE DOLLAR AMOUNT that the dealer is working with is lower.

My suggestion is to keep trying. I didn't think SoCal was that strong a Subie market.

easypar
    The Subaru Outback limited model comes in:
    2.5L engine or 3.6L engine
    in CT (and other New England states) the car has to also be PZEV - low emission.

If you want the 2.5L engine, then look for:
    Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV

If you want the 3.6L engine, then look for:
    Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited PZEV

The 2.5i has better gas mileage (22 city/25 hwy) than the 3.6 (18/25) model.

Once you decide if you want the 2.5i or 3.6R - the other key options is whether you want:
    no moonroof OR
    Moonroof / rear view camera/homelink pkg OR
    Moonroof pkg / Navigation pkg
  • dfodfo Member Posts: 2
    I'm shopping in Denver, CO and got a quote of $24,990 on a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium, CRV, with the All-weather Package and the "Popular Package 1B" (auto dimming mirror w/ home link, floor mats, splash guards and bumper cover). That price does not include a dealer handling fee of $389 (average in the Denver area appears to be $500) or taxes/title.

Does this sound like a decent deal?
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    A family member is looking at a 2.5i limited w/moonroof. 500-600 under invoice seems to be the norm - this is via their internet managers

Should I aim for better than this?
    Anyone knows if the 0% is being extended or replaced with something else after tomorrow? TIA.
    In general $500-600 under invoice sounds good. I would check out what the "great price" is for your area on Truecar.com. You can probably get some more off of that. Also check out zag.com and see the price they are listing there - you can usually negotiate a price lower than what is listed on zag.com.

If you going through Internet/Phone channel - then shop around. See what prices the dealers around will give you. I would make sure to include any extra options (eg. all season floor mats) into the price you are negotiating. Make sure you know the Doc Fees of the various dealers as that can vary a lot by dealer (they give that info over the phone).

I think once you got something in writing you may even get some additional $$off by calling in to finalize the deal - when calling confirm they have the car you want in stock and then negotiate a bit more on the final price. Once that is agreed on - you can give them a credit card to hold the car and they should give you the VIN # of the car you bought.

Hope that helps
    We were able to negotiate at 700 below invoice and a good amount on the junk trade. Car is in transit so we couldn't get zero financing but see they ow offer 1.9

Next is to get a good price on gold plus. 7/100 or 7/70 with zero deductible. Who sells at or near cost and no tax to another state? I know wo to contact for hondas but the group doesnt sell Subaru.
    Looking for a dealer/site that has good prices on accessories. TIA.
    I meant to type 3.6 limited pzev instead of just 3.6 limited. But... if I want the homelink, autodimming mirror, do I have to get the moonroof too? I hate to pay for something I never use.
    Yes, I'd like to know the same thing. Since I've just starting thinking about the Subie (I own one with 218,00 miles as well as an Acura which I'll have to sell in order to buy) I'm not in a rush. But, was the only incentive the 0% financing? I assume if you didn't take the financing, you could get more off the price.

What time of year does Subaru usually offer incentives and what kind were they in the past?

Thanks.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    edited January 2012
    I just test drove a 2012 Outback 2.5 with Premium package and 6 spd manual transmission.

First impression is that the clutch travel is much longer than what I am used to on a Honda. I currently have a 2005 CR-V EX with 5 spd manual. But, Honda really dropped the ball, there are no AWD/4WD Honda products that come with manual transmission...

What is everyone paying for those?

Salesperson told that to find a manual with sunroof is going to be almost impossible... Any truth to that?
    Ordering one from factory (the way you want it) can take 4-6 weeks. If you are willing to wait, that would be your best option. Dealer should not charge you more to factory order one.

My DSis is getting a new 2.5 premium (auto) that's due to arrive in two weeks for 700 below invoice. My parents just bought 2 days ago a Legacy at 500 below (different dealer unfortunately) however they would have given us the same deal if we wanted to order from factory. In this case, they didn't want to wait even though they didn't want the moonroof.
    Previous offer was for 0% for 3 years which ended 01/03. There was no cash back instead of financing.

Current offer is 1.9% I believe up to 3 years. I think this ends at the end of January. Again, no cash back offer.
    You can add the mirror on yourself. Either buy from dealership or from this place... https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_123&products_id=- 1076&osCsid=85092f39708b0f1f046f370c044d2340 . They also give the instructions which are pretty straight-forward.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    subarupartsmall
    subarupartswarehouse

Do a google search, then see if your dealership will match the prices...my dealer which has a great service department..charges 25% markup on there accessories which drives me to internet sites...which they tell me they cant match.....even though these sites are simply other parts departments in other dealerships
    So who sells out there Gold Plus at or near cost? I've dealt with Bernardi with Hondas... Asked in the Outback forum dot org, but price I got was kinda steep. I know it's in the sub 1000 for 7/100k...

What are others paying now for it? And where?
  • tahoe_15tahoe_15 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2.5i Premium AWP with popular equipment package 1a for $24.3k+ttl. Msrp was $27.5k and invoice was $25.7k. Several other chicago area dealers said my price quote didn't make sense and was probably a bait and switch. The quote was legit and the dealer was straight forward and easy to deal with.