Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab VS Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Comments

• More Independant reviews.
    ---------------------------
    For the CC the following is from;
    http://www.citizenstandard.com/extramile/99xm/xm1025.htm

The EPA numbers are quite good, with 15 city and 19 highway the average from Frontier's 19.4-gallon fuel tank. In the future, we hope Nissan adds more ponies to the V-6, closing the gap on the more
    powerful GM and Ford engines.

The Identical report is also on;
    http://www.autowire.net/1999-64.html
    ---------------------------

Just basic review stuff but here are the links.

For the ST
    http://www.motortrend.com/april00/ford_sporttrac/ford_sporttrac_f.html

For the CC
    http://www.motortrend.com//oct99/frontier/1.html
  • goobagooba Posts: 391
    Fordsporttrac,I found the links quite interesting.I am not so worried about the USA Today article.It is true.All it means to me is that you will be at the top sooner than me and can have a cold soda waiting.I want to enjoy the scenery especially after seeing all of this desert.
  • These stats are from the TEC Data Pages of the motortrend links. The * indicates the better stat.

Acceleration 0 - 60 MPH

CC - 9.2 Sec
    ST - 8.5 Sec*

Standing Quater Mile.

CC - 17.2 Sec @ 78.7 MPH
    ST - 16.6 Sec @ 83.0 MPH*

Braking 60 - 0 MPH

CC - 129 Feet
    ST - 121 Feet*

Fuel Economy Hwy/cty

CC - 16/19
    ST - 16/20*

Speed through 600 ft Slalom, MPH

CC - 58.4 MPH*
    ST - 54.8 MPH
  • gooba,

If you take too long I'm gona drink all that cold soda.
  • mahimahi,

I think I last raised you a pinched hand trying to adjust the drivers seat with the door closed. According to USA Today you can raise me back a
    knee-whacking handbrake. ;-)
    Fordsporttrac,if you drink all the soda,I will make sure I take long enough for the soda to run it's course and you could star in funniest videos
  • mahimahimahimahi Posts: 497
    Nice info, I enjoyed reading the articles. I sense a little skepticism in the author's writings about the new breed of 4-door trucks. Maybe he didn't know haw the public was going to accept them. anyway the articles were informative. I'm glad you didn't get a ticket, the officer probably just stopped you to get a closer look at your Sport-Trac :). I was going to make a comment here but I think I will just keep it to myself. Anyway, it was me that was wondering why they used the Explorer platform first in post# 332...I guess I was right about the price, that's ok it just means that it will be worth more if you sell it or trade it in, right?

I don't know about the hill thing because as you guys know I live in Florida. The closest thing we have to hills are overpasses or bridges. But I think I will go over the Skyway Bridge on my way to Miami this weekend just to see how it does, I know this bridge gives my father's 1999 4.0L Cherokee problems. I can't wait to challenge the bridge by towing across it, just to see how my truck does...I should have done that in my test drive,huh? I hope it does ok. I'll cross my fingers, 'cause this bridge isn't kind to those that tow across it, it's pretty steep.

Yes, yes the famous Japanese pickup truck parking brake. With this truck I haven't had any problems but that's because I used to own a Toyota 4x4, which I used to wack my knee on, so I was prepared for this one. I will say that I was surprised to see that they are still using this style. I don't really care for it but I'm used to it. It gives my girlfriend problems when I pull it out too hard(the brake...get your minds out of the gutter). I can see where those that haven't had this kind of brake could hate it though.

But I would like to raise you my dry cleaning bill(mostly my fault for not paying attention), from sliding my pantlegs against the step bars when I get out of the truck...hehehe.
    mahimahi,good luck on your trip.I know that a few of us will be waiting for news on how the trip went.You know,your comment about the parking brake brought something to mind.You see,I never noticed it.It was just something that I did not pay attention to.I grew up with that style in the CJ2A Jeeps I started with and my 84 Nissan had the same brake.I find it harder to leave it on.I mean in comparison with the traditional pedal that you would not see normally.it is kind of hard to ignore that rod pulled back and hitting you when you get in and settle in.So,maybe it is a good thing.
    gooba,

Thanks, I'll take notes on my trip for you guys(my girlfriend will think I'm crazy, but she doesn't understand..hehehe).

I was looking at the brake(handle) last night after I posted my response and again on my way to work this morning. It's nowhere near my my knee, but I also noticed that I almost have the seat all the way back(I'm 6'1")so this puts my knee further back. I don't know just some thoughts. Now my Toyota on the other hand, was a real knee-bruiser :). Gooba, you're right it is hard to leave it on.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Cncman, spoken like a true salesman. You however don't mention the amount of $$ needed to boost the Ranger to a payload of 1,540lbs! I will though, its a $75 package available and it is package 20T for the RAnger. The price advantage of the Nissan has also gone bye, bye. I proved this to you in previous posts by giving you both dealership names and prices.
    As far as suspension the Ranger does come with front torsion bars/springs along with a rear stablizer bar on its 4x4's where it would be used most. Along with a front skidplate now! Do Nissan 4x4's come with ABS standard?
    I don't know much about the bed makeup, I will have to dig a bit more on this one. Cncman does have the advantage of having information readily available, he is after all a salesman.
    If we want to debat the Ranger vs Frontier lets move to the Ranger vs Frontier room.
    Vince8,

Yes the frontier comes with ABS. Wonder where you were headed with that. Don't tell me though, your point is diffused.
  • cncmancncman Posts: 487
    Vince, what does that mean anyway, "spoken like a true salesman" THe facts are the facts, live with them, Ford makes you pay extra to get close to the performance of the Nissan, no matter if it is $75 or $750, you still have to pay for it. No you did not prove that the price advantage is gone, all you proved is that people in your area are willing to pay more for a Nissan than a Ford, so how does that help you? And why is it you imply what I am saying here can't be trusted because I am a salesman, but you offer ad prices which everyone knows there is always a catch to from a dealership and all of the sudden it is gospel? Are you saying a torsion bar does not help with a 4x2? I am glad to see ford finally catching up again with putting skidplates on the ranger, but you still can't get them on the 4x2. And yes VInce actually 4 wheel ABS with a Gsensor is standard on 4x4's and all V6 frontiers, desert runners, crew cab 4x2 or 4x4's.
    Vince you don't have to look up the information on the construction, just look under your truck! This started because SOMEONE wanted proof that the frontier had a better suspension, why ask for proof if you are going to complain when it is posted? This was to compare the ST suspension to the CC suspension, which I am glad to see from one of the reviews posted before, Ford made some mods to the ST suspension to compensate for the weakness, but it still seems like the suspension scared them a bit. I would be happy to go over this more in the frontier/ranger board, if you would ever show up!
  • One thing I did notice about the USA Today articles is he didn't pull any punches on either vehicle. He pointed out good and bad about both. And although he didn't sound convinced about the style, his observations were accurate on the ST except for the cup holder comment. There is NO hinged, flip over, cup holder in my ST.

How were his observations on the CC?
    Yeah,I would have to agree with you about the reviews.I think the review was fair but maybe not as critical as others I read on the CC.I have to disagree with the review on the aesthetics of the tubular roof rack and running boards.I think it is a waste of good metal.The roof rack is only rated to carry up to 125lbs,andI read that they are noisy.I think it detracts from the lines of the vehicle.
  • foos57foos57 Posts: 2
    I test drove the ST, the frontier CC and the Dodge Quadcab this last weekend. The ST had the flip over cup holder and the frontier handling was very heavy feeling. My 87 Suburban has a lighter touch on the steering than the frontier CC. Thoroughly enjoyed the ST ride.
  • fordsporttracfordsporttrac Posts: 299
    foos57,

Did the ST you drove have the center console with the soft sided bag? Mine has fixed console and my cup holders do not flip. Except the rear seat cup holder flips down.

Do you know did the ST you tested have the payload package?
    Anyone else getting Slooow performance from Edmunds lately?
    foos57,
    Heavy feeling? Maybe a stiffer touch but I wouldn't consider it a heavy feel. I like the stiffer feel of the steering,, it's kind of sporty.

fordsporttrac,
    I'm getting slow performance too. I couldn't log on earlier.
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    I went to look at the Sport Tracs the other day and noticed that flip over cup holder. It was on the ones with that removable bag. I don't see the point for that flip over cup holder. If you flip it upside down you only have one cup holder, if you just leave it up you'll have two.
    Jezz its even slower today. It took 3 or 4 minutes just to paint the topics list.

I still haven't gotten the RPM stats. I can only talk my way out of so many tickets so I need to wait till I get on a fast moving Hwy.
    yeah I agree with you it's very slow loading up.

I did my test this past weekend, not how I planned it though. I thought it was going to be just my girlfriend and our couple of bags of clothes. The trip entailed more than that. We had to take about 80lbs. of clothes, two kennels weighing about 90lbs together and our two dogs(combined weight of 162lbs.). So my results, were with what I consider a full load. On the way to Miami, I wanted to test the trucks shifting like the USA Today article said it did in hills, on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. What I did for the trip down I set the cruise control at 70mph. hit the incline of the bridge. The transmission did not shift down a gear but, the engine speed stayed the same while the vehicle speed decreased to 68mph, normal(at least my Acura did the same). On the way back from Miami, I took off the cruise control half way up the incline and pushed the gas pedal down the transmission did downshift but, only one gear and my speed was increasing very rapidly. I did both trips with the full load. So I guess I'll go back to that article and re-read his comments. The truck seemed to perform as good as any other truck that I've taken on road trips before. Now as for the fuel economy, I thought this is where I might see a difference. There was only a very small difference in the economy from what I normally get everyday. I got 18mpg on the trip, I usually get 16-17mpg around town. The thing is I do alot of fast traveling during my everyday traveling(it's all interstate or bridges between Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater so my speeds are usually around 65-70mph). I didn't get to try the tailgate experiment, because we had the dogs with us. So maybe I'll see a difference if the truck is unloaded, but I doubt it because even with the load the engine was still turning 3000rpms @ 80mph, it does the same when unloaded. So I apologize for not having any great or revealing news from the trip.

I still want to tow up this bridge just to see how this truck reacts. I'll do it for a test, because I never need to really tow across it.
  • foos57foos57 Posts: 2
    Fordsporttrac
    The one i test drove had the soft side bag in the center console. Did not notice if had the payload package, even though i am looking to get one with that option.
    The flip over cup holder does make it into one holder after you flip, however the single holder will hold bigger mugs and drinks.
    Did have the limited slip 3.73 rear end. My wife drove the vehicle and from 50mph with heavy application of brakes it stopped quickly and very straight. (she used to be a test driver for GM).
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Posts: 215
    If I missed a piece of information in some prior post, I apologize, but how can you call a 632 pound load (assuming you and your girl friend weigh a total of 300 pounds) a full load in a vehicle with a payload in excess of 1,500 pounds?

By any definition, I'd say that was a light, or at most, a moderate, load.
    Thanks, I knew I was going to leave something out.Sorry for not explaining what I meant by 'full load', I was rushing and trying to get everything in before AOL kicked me out and I lost what I have typed. What I meant by full load in this case had do do with area. I mean there wasn't a stitch of open spaces by the time I loaded these dog kennels in the bed(one of them broken down),cooler in the rear seat along with all of these bags of clothes. Again sorry, I completely agree with you about it being a moderate load at best, weight-wise. I think I left out that I had the A/C on the whole time too.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Posts: 215
    Without opening the whole thing up to debate again, what's your sense for how well the ST would handle an 1,800 pound trailer with an additonal load of about 1,200 pounds in the truck. I know this is well within its stated limits, but I'm trying to get some sense for how it would feel with that kind of load.

Thanks for any input.
    I think that since you're not towing an ultra heavy trailer you should be fine. Although I don't know what your towing situations are, but since the trailer weight is way below it's max. capacity and the 1200 lbs. is going to be either over the rear wheels or in front of them you probably won't have any problems. The vehicle certainly has the power to pull/tow. My biggest point was, as the trailer weight increased(closer to the max. cap) there is a noticeable difference in the way a pickup performs and the way a suv performs again noticeable in heavier applications(because of the weight behind the rear wheels). I must reiterate that my towing experience has to do primarily with towing boats and their trailers aren't designed to go over 55mph. I don't know what you are towing but I can't imagine, in fact since I've towed with a Sport-Trac I can say that you shouldn't have a problem at all in the situation you posted. I know that you already know this but, if I were you I would test drive one in your scenario to see for sure. Maybe fordsporttrac could enlighten you since I only towed with a S/T one weekend.

Well this is my opinion...I hope I could help.
    hey guys,
    Remember when we were in the whole Overdrive debate? At that time I purchased the April issue of Boating World because they had a review on the 2000 C.C. XE. They talked about how well it towed but, the author never mentioned what size of boat they towed or whether or not they used O/D, they didn't give many details. So I e-mailed them last month and yesterday I received an e-mail back saying that they were working on an answer to my question and that it was going to be published in the July issue. So if some of you care keep your eyes open :)
  • sgtjimsgtjim Posts: 13
    I like all of the new 4 dr. SUt's. My main complaint with the Frontier is that the 2000
    C.C. did not have a full gauge package like
    the Ford S.T. and Dakota Q.C. have. I thought I read that the new 2001 Frontier C.C. was to have changes made to the instrumentation.
    Anyone know if a full gauge pack is part of
    that change? I get tired looking at the dashes of all these new autos and seeing two big dials in the center of the instrumenys and a small gauge on each corner. From Cadillac to Neon they all lokk the same.

Thanks Sgtjimj
    mahimahi,congrats on getting them to look into that and to print it.
    sgtjim,could you please enlighten me to what you mean by full gauge package?What are you looking for?
    Looks like they fixed the server at edmunds. The speed is good today. I hope they do a good job on the boaters world article and don't open up a buch more questions. mahimahi, since you asked the question maybe they will let you proof it for content before its published. :-)
This discussion has been closed.