Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab VS Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Comments

• mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    yeah I agree with you it's very slow loading up.

I did my test this past weekend, not how I planned it though. I thought it was going to be just my girlfriend and our couple of bags of clothes. The trip entailed more than that. We had to take about 80lbs. of clothes, two kennels weighing about 90lbs together and our two dogs(combined weight of 162lbs.). So my results, were with what I consider a full load. On the way to Miami, I wanted to test the trucks shifting like the USA Today article said it did in hills, on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. What I did for the trip down I set the cruise control at 70mph. hit the incline of the bridge. The transmission did not shift down a gear but, the engine speed stayed the same while the vehicle speed decreased to 68mph, normal(at least my Acura did the same). On the way back from Miami, I took off the cruise control half way up the incline and pushed the gas pedal down the transmission did downshift but, only one gear and my speed was increasing very rapidly. I did both trips with the full load. So I guess I'll go back to that article and re-read his comments. The truck seemed to perform as good as any other truck that I've taken on road trips before. Now as for the fuel economy, I thought this is where I might see a difference. There was only a very small difference in the economy from what I normally get everyday. I got 18mpg on the trip, I usually get 16-17mpg around town. The thing is I do alot of fast traveling during my everyday traveling(it's all interstate or bridges between Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater so my speeds are usually around 65-70mph). I didn't get to try the tailgate experiment, because we had the dogs with us. So maybe I'll see a difference if the truck is unloaded, but I doubt it because even with the load the engine was still turning 3000rpms @ 80mph, it does the same when unloaded. So I apologize for not having any great or revealing news from the trip.

I still want to tow up this bridge just to see how this truck reacts. I'll do it for a test, because I never need to really tow across it.
  • foos57foos57 Member Posts: 2
    Fordsporttrac
    The one i test drove had the soft side bag in the center console. Did not notice if had the payload package, even though i am looking to get one with that option.
    The flip over cup holder does make it into one holder after you flip, however the single holder will hold bigger mugs and drinks.
    Did have the limited slip 3.73 rear end. My wife drove the vehicle and from 50mph with heavy application of brakes it stopped quickly and very straight. (she used to be a test driver for GM).
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    If I missed a piece of information in some prior post, I apologize, but how can you call a 632 pound load (assuming you and your girl friend weigh a total of 300 pounds) a full load in a vehicle with a payload in excess of 1,500 pounds?

By any definition, I'd say that was a light, or at most, a moderate, load.
    Thanks, I knew I was going to leave something out.Sorry for not explaining what I meant by 'full load', I was rushing and trying to get everything in before AOL kicked me out and I lost what I have typed. What I meant by full load in this case had do do with area. I mean there wasn't a stitch of open spaces by the time I loaded these dog kennels in the bed(one of them broken down),cooler in the rear seat along with all of these bags of clothes. Again sorry, I completely agree with you about it being a moderate load at best, weight-wise. I think I left out that I had the A/C on the whole time too.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Without opening the whole thing up to debate again, what's your sense for how well the ST would handle an 1,800 pound trailer with an additonal load of about 1,200 pounds in the truck. I know this is well within its stated limits, but I'm trying to get some sense for how it would feel with that kind of load.

Thanks for any input.
    I think that since you're not towing an ultra heavy trailer you should be fine. Although I don't know what your towing situations are, but since the trailer weight is way below it's max. capacity and the 1200 lbs. is going to be either over the rear wheels or in front of them you probably won't have any problems. The vehicle certainly has the power to pull/tow. My biggest point was, as the trailer weight increased(closer to the max. cap) there is a noticeable difference in the way a pickup performs and the way a suv performs again noticeable in heavier applications(because of the weight behind the rear wheels). I must reiterate that my towing experience has to do primarily with towing boats and their trailers aren't designed to go over 55mph. I don't know what you are towing but I can't imagine, in fact since I've towed with a Sport-Trac I can say that you shouldn't have a problem at all in the situation you posted. I know that you already know this but, if I were you I would test drive one in your scenario to see for sure. Maybe fordsporttrac could enlighten you since I only towed with a S/T one weekend.

Well this is my opinion...I hope I could help.
    hey guys,
    Remember when we were in the whole Overdrive debate? At that time I purchased the April issue of Boating World because they had a review on the 2000 C.C. XE. They talked about how well it towed but, the author never mentioned what size of boat they towed or whether or not they used O/D, they didn't give many details. So I e-mailed them last month and yesterday I received an e-mail back saying that they were working on an answer to my question and that it was going to be published in the July issue. So if some of you care keep your eyes open :)
  • sgtjimsgtjim Member Posts: 13
    I like all of the new 4 dr. SUt's. My main complaint with the Frontier is that the 2000
    C.C. did not have a full gauge package like
    the Ford S.T. and Dakota Q.C. have. I thought I read that the new 2001 Frontier C.C. was to have changes made to the instrumentation.
    Anyone know if a full gauge pack is part of
    that change? I get tired looking at the dashes of all these new autos and seeing two big dials in the center of the instrumenys and a small gauge on each corner. From Cadillac to Neon they all lokk the same.

Thanks Sgtjimj
  • goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    mahimahi,congrats on getting them to look into that and to print it.
    sgtjim,could you please enlighten me to what you mean by full gauge package?What are you looking for?
  • fordsporttracfordsporttrac Member Posts: 300
    Looks like they fixed the server at edmunds. The speed is good today. I hope they do a good job on the boaters world article and don't open up a buch more questions. mahimahi, since you asked the question maybe they will let you proof it for content before its published. :-)
  • sgtjimsgtjim Member Posts: 13
    By a full gauge package, I mean the addition of Ampmeter and Oil pressure in addition to Coolant temp and Fuel gauges which is what 90% of cars have beside a tach and speedometer. The SportTrac and Dakota
    have all four gauges which I am hoping will be added to the 2001Fronyier CC.
    Thanks Jim
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    I am looking at buying a 4200lb travel trailer tommorrow. If the price is right I will be towing it home; approx 60 miles, with lots of hills and valleys. I will let you know how it goes.
  • melsaf1melsaf1 Member Posts: 1
    THANKS FOR RESPONDING. THE TRAVEL TRAILER WEIGHT YOUR ARE CONSIDERING IS EXACTLY IN THE RANGE THAT I AM CONSIDERING AS WELL. I WILL BE MOST INTERESTED TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR VEHICLE PERFORMANCE. WHICH VEHICLE DO YOU OWN--ST OR FRONTIER SE OR XE CC? HAVE A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
    I own a 2000 Nissan SE Crew Cab, automatic. I bought the Trailer and will be picking it up on tuesday night. I will post how it pulled then. Icouldn't pick up the trailer last night because I forgot I would need a different light setup than I already have.
    I picked up the trailer last night. I drove without OD on the majority of the time @55-60mph. It pulled with no problems. Going up hills it barely lost speed and there was no swaying (that was helped by anti sway bars). I tried with the OD on but when it hit small slopes it would lose speed and gear down. But with OD off, it cruised at 3000rpm -3200rpm and it wasn't noisy at all. Unlike Mahimahi I haven't towed with a sporttrac to compare. I also don't know what would happen if I added my wife & kids & a full load of gear and junk in the trailer.

All said, it seemed to pull very well with little effort. I do regret not trying to past because I never went beyond 3800Rpm. It would have been nice to see what kind of power it had.
    Got the RPM for 80MPH yesterday, its 2900 with OD on. 60 MPH is 2100.

Just tried 4WD Low for the first time yesterday. Ahh.... well..... more like, I tried to try 4WD Low. It will not engage. The mechanic had the dash open to install my alarm and may have pulled a wire. :-( or I may have something wrong. I'm not positive yet. 4WD High works fine. I hear the relay click for 2WD and 4WD/H but no click for 4WD Low.
    Opps, Ok so with Ford products you Must be in Neutral with your foot on the brake to switch to 4WD/L. I was trying Park and low gears. I forgot about Neutral. :-) 4WD/L works fine.

My old 4Runner would shift on the fly.
  • ingallsingalls Member Posts: 12
    I've had my Crew Cab for almost 3 months now and am very impressed with it. I took it up to Tahoe last month and it went up through the mountains with ease, and handled great. I'm purchasing a small shell from Snug Top ($1,289.00!!) that has somewhat matching bars on top, it looks really sharp and is small enough to be taken off by 2 people if you need it to revert back to a pickup. All in all I'm very satisfied with the truck, I love driving it around town because it's small enough to zip into any parking stall, and with the manual transmission....is a lot of fun to drive and is quite peppy too!!...oh, as far as you all wanting to know how this truck will stand up in an accident, well I can vouch for the rear bumper on this thing. Some "idiot" ran into the back of it while stopped at a red light( I didn't even have my plates yet!!)...all I needed was a new bumper (actually it was hardly damaged!!) and a bit of touch up paint....his Toyota car needed a new front end!!! I changed the rims cause I thought the stock rims were ugly, it made a big difference in appearance. I also replaced the air filter with a K&N and it seemed to help with a quicker throttle response. As far as the comparison with the Sport Trac.....I had initially ordered both, and decided to go with the Nissan. I didn't like the bed on the Ford, It just seemed like it would have problems down the road and I've had bad experiences with the 5 speed transmissions...they just don't seem to hold up. I'm sure I'll have many years of maintenance free driving with my Nissan, but to play it safe I did get an extended warranty which I would suggest with either vehicle due to all the computerized components on these things. I think we could go on thrashing and finding faults with these things all day long....everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but what it all boils down to is which vehicle will suite you needs the best, and if your lucky enough to get one that someone built on a good day that holds together the way it was intended to be built. My Chevy Tahoe was manufactured in Mexico, that scared me a bit but I never had any problems except really crummy gas mileage. Again I'll say go out and test drive both, figure out your best needs, do the research (from someone that knows what they are talking about!!) and make your final decision as they claim that your vehicle will be your 2nd most extensive investment you will make, so choose wisely and enjoy!!
    That "small shell" you purchased; is it a hard tonneau cover? or is it a cap? I purchased a flush mount cap painted the same colour as my CC 4x4 SE for about the same price $1300 can ($1950 US). It is the same height as the cab and makes the truck look like a SUV. I get complements all the time! It allows us to have plenty of room to through "mega" junk back there when we go camping, and my wife and I can take it off in about 2 min whenever we need to throw something tall in the back.

Hope you enjoy your "toy" truck as my father-in-law calls it (he drives a F150). I know I sure do when my wife lets me drive it!
  • hh11hh11 Member Posts: 1
    Do any of you existing Crew Cab owners or other enlightened folks know how to increase the driver leg room in a 2000 Crew Cab? Does Nissan or anyone else offer a "seat track extender" or similar option to get an inch or two more leg room?

Thanks for any help.

Harold H.
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    Wait for the full size Nissan pickup with 5.0 L V8 to be produced in the not too distant future. Should have more leg room!
  • croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    Well, I had purposely avoided this topic for several weeks hoping that you know who would wear himself out with his petty whining. Well, I come back at last and what do I hear?? More of Vince8 whining about the Ranger. Vince, a vehicle is a personal choice. You can read your stats all day long. Stats do not make a great vehicle. Get a life and find something better to do with your time. We are all getting tired of your moronic behavior.
    vince you moron.You posted this bs on the Ranger/Frontier site.It may apply on the other site but not here.There is no data that says Crew Cab.Also you brought up the 3.3L and the performance was still 6.0.The Ranger dropped to 7.0 in the same year.
    vince,are you ever going to debate the issues here or on the other board?i doubt it.i do not believe you are intelligent or man enough to debate the issues.ALL MOUTH and NO BRAINS.LOL LOL
    Over the weekend I went camping with thefamily and our tent trailer. All told, the wait was approx. 2000lbs, plus a more gear in the truck. I had no problems but I did find the rear suspension bottomed out more than I was comfortable with. The roads around here are fairly bumpy but even so, I didn't think I would bottom out. I pulled the same wait with my CR-V last year and not once did it bottom out.Granted, I was very careful in not putting much weight in the back (scared because I was double the recommended tongue weight); even so, I have to say the CR-V pulled my trailer equally well as the CC.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Why the hell is it you Frontier people can quote all the facts and data you want? But when someone comes in who is a Ford fan and shows you are WRONG you call it "whining"?? Like I said, Psych 101, when someone is proved wrong, this person will revert to name calling and mud slinging... I proved a huge point. Nissan isn't as great as you think.... See ya!!
    Keanec,
    I'm surprised at your experience. How much did your payload weigh? Are you sure the suspension was 'bottoming out', because I read a magazine article in April praising Nissan's suspension travel(on their dessert runner). The article compared it to the one used on the Team Nissan truck that is used in the Baja races. What's your tongue weight, prob around 200lbs right? I'm not saying that it's not happening, just hard for me to understand how.
    The CRV don't forget has an independent rear suspension, I believe the only suv besides the Land Rover to have this, which might mean that it has(had) more suspension travel than the Nissan.

On a little side note. My mom had a '86 Prelude manual that we had to custom hitch made, because they didn't make hitches for that car, it wasn't suposed to tow anything. For two years, we towed a 2200lb 17ft Wellcraft boat behind it. One clutch, HD struts in the back later she traded it in, but it towed fine...except going up the ramp(front wheel drive- slipped alot). Makes you wonder what Honda could do if they ever come out with a P/U!
    Vince,
    here's a name for you...FORD REBEL WITHOUT A CLUE! and no answers. :)
    First let me apologize for my spelling and grammer mistakes, I am not a typist and I try to go to fast!

The tongue weight is suppose to be around the 200-230lb range according to the owners manual. With the propane tank and battery up front I would think it could be a tad more. I tried lifting it, and I can - barely. It was easier before I put the tank and battery on. The rear of the truck goes down a bit, but not as much as the CR-V did when I attach the trailer. The road where I was bottoming out was a pretty bumpy road! That might have something to do with it. I just thought I would mention it because of our discussions about the suspensions of the CC and the ST. Is the Dessert Runner a CC? I would think by the name, the Dessert Runner would have a different suspension than a truck made for the pavement. They could have possibly put a long travel suspension to handle the "Baja" type terrain. My CC SE 4x4 could be a different beast altogether.

When my wife and I test drove both the Xterra and CC, we found the CC to have better road manners and it handled bumps better; ie. softer suspension. The salesman commented that many people say that. Others say the suspension is tuned exactly the same. I think the Xterra wouldn't have bottomed out as much.

Just some thoughts. I am happy with the way the CC pulls, but around my area, I need to drive out of OD quite a bit because the area is hilly and every time I go up, it starts dropping down gears; although it doesn't really "hunt". With out OD, this puppy has plenty of torque and doesn't skip a beat going up steep hills!
    GOOD RIDDANCE!!
    I love the way my se c.c. tows. Isn't nice to always be in your torque band? The reason I was asking you about the 'bottoming out' was because I don't usually tow down a bumpy road, just smooth roads to boat ramps for the most part. I don't know the differences between the suspensions of the c.c. and the desert runner. I thought that the desert runner was a two wheel p/u set up just like the 4-wheel drive p/u w/o the 4-wheel drive. Whatever not important, I will probably have tow my father's small camper trailer to his new hunting property this winter, so I'll see if my tuck bottoms out with his trailer.
  • m_bazzm_bazz Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know how much the 2001 Frontier Crew Cab will be going for with the turbo 3.3? Can't get to much info from the nissan web-site. Also, if anybody has seen the upgraded interior, how does it look?

Thanks
  • ziggy18ziggy18 Member Posts: 20
    m_bazz,

The "summer" issue of Open Road magazine, a Road & Track publication, has the only info I've seen on the 2001 CC. The new nose, flares, optional Supercharged engine & optional in-dash 6 disc changer should be big hits.
    Price wasn't available to the writer who adds "count on about a $2000 price premium for the supercharged engine."

Don't mean to be a stickler, but a turbo 3.3 would be an entirely different animal.
    That is why I got the Nissan CC.I liked the dependability as well as the safety factor for my family.the Dodge is a good vehicle,just a little long for my tastes,and my experiences with Dodges tell me that I personally will not own one.
    LOL!! Gooba, its so obvious you didn't read my saftey data on the Frontier. Go to www.crashtest.com, and www.msn.carpoint.com and see how well your Nissan does!! The Frontier doesn't fair that well.... And noway as well as a Dodge Dakota...
    I thought you were gone vince. Go respond to my post in the ranger v. frontier room!

thesandman,

I had a '81 Toyota 4x4 longbed. To me there is no better looking truck than a '80-'83 Toyota 4x4 with a 3" lift kit and 33" tire with 10X15 wheels, still to this day. i was in the process of restoring mine until a woman pulled out in front of me six years ago. I just wish they had made it in a king cab. I tried a few years ago to get a old Toyota crew cab from Austrailia..cost to much for conversion to make legal. Good luck with the Dodge. My best friend is a service writer for dodge dealership here and he says they aren't having that many problems with the Dakotas overall...at least not as many as they are with the new 2000 PT cruiser!
    vince,I read the post and went to the sites.I guess you have a problem with english.As I said before my 2000 CC is not listed anywhere nor has it been tested.Also,they only tested a 1999 Frontier although it does not matter to me.
    I am secure in knowing that my family is safe in my vehicle.
    The reason I stated I did not like the Dodge was because of what problems I see that they have,and I did not care for the looks of the vehicle,although it is better constructed then the Ranger both inside and out.
    Talk about problems! I guess you didn't read the JD powers report??? The Nissan isn't that great and reliable as you wish. Your wacked to think a Nissan CC has a better crash rating than a Dakota club cab also.....
    Are you really as ignorant as you appear to be?I find it hard to believe that somebody can read something and not understand it.I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU TAKE REMEDIAL READING.At no time did I EVER say that the Nissan CC had a better crash rating then either the Dodge OR the Ranger.I have stated to YOU on numerous occasions that the Nissan CC has NOT BEEN RATED.How hard is it for you to understand? Show me where the Nissan CC has been tested.Show me the results.It sure is not at the NHTSA or at crashtest.com.Testing a 1999 Frontier is not the same as testing a 2000 CC.Just as YOUR 1998 Ranger having less power then the 2000 Ranger or my CC.
    As far as JD Powers,that does not mean SQUAT to me.I do not put much credence into surveys,polls nor opinions by people on a payroll.I just know from personal experience that the Nissan has been reliable FOR ME.The Fords I own have been reliable FOR ME.I sure do not need somebody with less knowledge or experience to tell me what I already know.
  • thesandmanthesandman Member Posts: 40
    I'll let you know how things work out with the Dodge.Eight months ago if some one told me I'd have a Dodge in my garage,I would have laughed him out the door.Build something someone wants and they will buy it.I love this country!
  • ricprricpr Member Posts: 24
    TheSandMan, thanks for injecting the Dodge into the topic. I have tried in the past but the truck was not well received in this section. I agree that for not much more price than the Nissan CC you can get a lot more in the Dodge. I am still waiting for a variety of opinions on the entire class and not just Ford or Nissan bashing. I find it interesting that Dodge offers the most versatility but is excluded from this dicussion!
    Thesandman & Ricpr - In Canada, I purchased a fully loaded Nissan SE 4x4 SE for $29,800CAN. I had priced out the Dodge and the best I could do was $37000 for a NOT fully loaded Dodge. Fully loaded was pushing $39000. Too high for my taste for a smaller truck. I would just go out and buy a full sized for that price. Also, IMO it is a Chrysler. I still don't believe the quality is there yet. My lockstone driveway is full of oil patches from my sitter's 98 Dodge Neon w/35000k going on its third head gasket.

All that being said, the Dodge is a good looking truck with lots of room and power. Hopefully it doesn't let you guys down. I am from "Truck" country and since it was available, the biggest Chrysler dealer has only sold 3 so far. Even the tiny Nissan dealership over 30; which is there best product seller besides the Pathfinder and Xterra.
    In the interest of keeping the discussion going, (Things have slowed down a bit) We should open the discussion to all SUT's.

If anyone cares to post, I created a topic #1982 "SUT's Which do you like best" This way all the SUT's can be discussed. I am very interested in what the dodges have to say. I looked at them and wasn't impressed by the Dakota CC.
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    Too bad you don't buy in the States. I bought a loaded Dakota QC 4.7L 4x4 for $22,500.

And I bought it because it was a Chrysler. My previous Chrysler is the only vehicle that I've owned that has gone 400,000 miles on the all-original engine and transmission.
    I like the Dakota. Dodge found a niche and you have to give them credit for it. The Dakota is a true mid-size truck. For those not wanting a full size, yet wanting a V8 with some pulling/towing power the Dodge Dakota is your truck. Dakota is also doing well in reliability/quality game. I know a couple of owners of Dakota's, both have had no problems. I believe one is a 98, the other a 95....
  • ricprricpr Member Posts: 24
    It is unfortunate the prices in Canada for the Dodge. I had a couple of questions:

1. On the Nissan CC the back door has an arm rest that is connected by two screws. While at the lot I noticed that the arm rest moves quite a bit. I used the arm rest to hoist myself into the back seat and feel that eventually it will break because of limited weight distribution. Has anyone noticed this?

2. If the bed of the Ford ST is damaged in a fender bender can it be repaired like fiberglass? Is this more expensive than metal repairs?

Thanks for the diversity in topic.
    vince,I have to ask,did you really write that?I am pleasantly surprised.Thanks.Keep it up.

ricpr,I have not had that problem with mine,but I have to ask why you do not use the grab handle above the door?I know my wife does when she gets back there to be with our daughter.
    ricpr,
    You bring up a good question about the repair of an ST bed. My ST is due in this month. Saturns have used plastic body panels for years. Data on fender repairs with them may be the best way to get a feel for the answer of repairability. I'm not sure if they're the same compound as Ford's SMC, but the data could be useful none the less.

As for metal repairs, my car has a minor dent in the front fender & the two body shops I have quotes from would replace the fender rather than expend the labor to repair it. The ST's modular SMC bed panels are likely to fall into the same logic if they are damaged. They're likely to resist the type of minor dents my car's front fender received though.
    The modularity of the ST bed may give it a repair cost advantage over traditional steel beds. Price comparisons at the parts counter would fill in the blanks here. What does a whole new steel bed cost?
    A similar question to ask is: What's the cost difference of replacing the ST's bed interior compared to adding a bed liner to a steel bed?
    Once again ..Parts counter can tell us. I'm personally not worried about the beds durability, just interested in the data to address the question if it came up.
    The ST's bed (whole thing) will probably cost more than a steel bed to replace, I'll see if any parts counter numbers are available. The modularity may however make repairs less expensive since the (2) SMC rear fenders & bed interior are separate items. The analogy being that modular front car fenders are always less expensive to replace than integrated rear quarter panels are to repair. The tailgate is a steel F150 flareside unit with an SMC panel on the interior, bodyside molding & ST logos. Another wildcard would be paint, always a costly part of a repair. Plastic components like the rear view mirror I replaced on my car typically come unpainted. If the ST's rear fenders & body trim come as a painted items there could be a total repair savings.
    I've done some generous speculating here & will
    try to close the loop at the parts counter (if they have numbers yet). But based on past history of repair/replace feasibility & decoupling the bed
    into replaceable pieces, It's possible to be an
    advantage rather than a liability.
    The Ford Sport Trac is going to fill more of a light duty Crew Cab. Just towing light loads like a couple of jet ski's, small boat, small camper type stuff. Its ride will appeal to more buyers because its not built on a truck frame. However it will be able to take light offroading like gravel roads and logging roads just fine... I won't argue that a truck frame is much better for rugged ground pounding.. But, who really takes their trucks offroad? Market analysis already point out that over 90% of 4x4's don't even touch a dirt road...
    You may be right about how the Sport Trac will be used.There will be a few people who will probably try and make on off roader out of it.The wisdom of that I wonder...
    The bed is what I wonder about.It is a bold new idea,and I believe only time will tell on how well it holds up in the hands of the owners.
    Due to the configuration of the Sport Trac and what we see coming on the horizon,I wonder where the Sport Trac will find its niche.I see it as a beginning of a luxury class of SUV.
This discussion has been closed.