Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We chat. :-)

Seriously, we talk about everything, from food to cars, beer, hockey, auto industry stuff, etc.

I missed it yesterday but there were 32 people there.

-juice
  • sparkycatsparkycat Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get that deal (27,500), and did you have to hit them over the head to get it?
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    I believe that the maximum that can be applied to a new purchase or lease is $2000. If you had a separate card with your wife as the cardholder, I don't see why coupons earned with that card couldn't be used for maintainance, repairs, parts, extended warranties.

Since our daycare center started accepting credit cards in September, we're going to get our fifth coupon about four months before our anniversary date with Chase. My wife has an additional card on my account and I'd like to reverse the situation to get above $500 in coupons if it's possible.

BTW, the Citi Dividend card pays 5% for groceries and gas purchases.
  • csr1csr1 Member Posts: 3
    Whoa Nellie...that turbo is causing a head rush! Not turbo lag - mind lag. I paid $27,500 AFTER the downpayment...actually, more like $29,500 all told.

Sorry for the Newbie excitment.
    [Beathe in....breathe out...breathe in....]
    Demand varies a lot by region. You'll pay more in Colorado or Vermont than you will here in MD, for instance.

-juice
  • csr1csr1 Member Posts: 3
    NO...Checked the bill - I DID pay $27,500 total. I take it that that's a pretty good deal? Ed Shultz Auto Group with dealerships from Pittsburgh, PA to Buffalo, NY. Got it for $300 over invoice minus a little for haggling. $300 over invoice is a policy if you make contract with a salesman through their webpage.

Terrific car! Can't wait for more snow.

CSR1
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    That's my plan. In three months I have earned just about $100. Also supposed to get free $25 in Subaru bucks for applying for the card in the first place. Even though I got free oil changes for one year (and, i put on the miles--average between 32 and 35,000 miles per year and always change oil every 3000 miles or so. Figure I will use the bucks for other maintenance. When is the first expensive maintenance required? Is that at 30,000 miles? I normally might not perform that service exactly when due, but if I have plenty of the Subaru bucks than why not. Plus, still not sure on the warranty. Got a good deal on the extended warranty when I bought the car. 5 years 100,000 mile, -0- deductible for $899. I am good about oil changes but not sure how closely you have to follow recommended maintenance so as to not void this warranty.
    SubaruBucks are great. We had $3100 in Bucks when we bought my wife's 2003 Forester in the summer of 2002 (the old card paid 5% and had a max of $700/year but it was only for a new purchase or lease) and have $1200 toward my next Outback after using two coupons for 30K service on the Forester.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Curious, What did the 30k service cost you? Is all the stuff they do really necessary? Is it true that the plugs, unlike most cars today do not go 100k miles? I have outback 2.5 i ltd so I imagine service on this vehicle should be a bout the same.

Just got my 3rd statement today, up to $99. My first statement only had $3 on it as I just gotten the card right before the end of the billing cycle. so $96 really in just two months. That is why I have applied for another card for my wife. Found out many of the utility companies in this area (Southeastern, MA) like Comcast & Verizon take credit card payment. Even Mass Electric is running some pilot programs in which payment can be made by credit card. I hope to earn enough for two cards to not only pay for all of the maintenance for the next few years but also to save the maximum 2000 bucks when I replace my wife's car in two years. Actually, will give her my outback which in 2.5 years will have approx 75k miles on it, but still 2.5 years and 25,000 miles to go on extended warranty I purchased. Maybe trade in her old van & get one of those Tribeca's or whatever larger vehicle Subaru has to offer for 2008.
    For the 30K service, I had them do all required services in the owner's manual: plugs, brake fluid, fuel filter, oil change, air filter, coolant flush and fill. It came to $266. I'm not sure if it was all necessary but it was pretty painless to hand them two coupons and have the balance charged to the Subaru card. Perhaps Subaru could deny a warranty claim if a required service isn't done.

You might also consider joining one of Subaru's affiliated groups to qualify for VIP invoice pricing after six months of membership. I belong to the American Canoe Association. Invoice pricing isn't a great deal at this point in the model year, but could make for a good, painless deal at the start of a new model year or the introduction of a new model. I'm interested in a 2006 Outback if stability control and a more powerful H4 engine is added to the 2006. A 5-speed automatic transmission would be nice too.
  • bill45bill45 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon 3.0 R VDC for $31,289 + $28.25 NV title
    fee + $295 dealer admin fee + NV tax & registration fees at Reno Subaru in NV. They had asked
    $33,455 internet price and came down to $31,289 when I decided to buy it at Fitzmall in MD.
    Prices were for all cash - no financing.

Fitzmall had the best Subaru prices and did not seem to have the dealer add-on admin fees
    that the other dealers that I checked seem to demand. I would have flown (free with frequent
    flier miles) to Fitzmall for the lower, no-haggle price, but my back doc told me not to drive from
    MD back to NV.

Other dealer cash prices that I found (before dealer admin fees, tax, registration) were:
    $31,644 in Carson City, NV
    $31,999 in Walnut Creek, CA
    $32,104 in Livermore, CA
    $32,280 in Napa, CA
    $32,394 (no homelink) in Fairfield, CA (but very good prices on 05 LL Bean wagons)

If you negotiate a deal by phone with your dealer, get a final, drive it home price, and tell
    them you will bring a cashier’s check for that amount. This may avoid last minute surprise add-
    on fees, credit checks, or title delays. If you are shopping for a new Subaru, shop around and be
    ready to walk out if they try to add any surprise fees onto the negotiated price when you arrive to
    buy your Subaru.

bill45
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    that's what the add says in my local paper for "all model 5DA in stock".

I'm not sure what equip. group this includes but was wondering if this is a deal that can be improved on by a little leg work?

anyone care to reply what the 4 cylindar outbacks are going for with smart shopping?
  • andurilsfireandurilsfire Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy my first subaru. Just wanted to check some pricing. I have one offer for a new '05 2.5i automatic (silver). Extra options are all weather mats, security sys upgrade, and auto-dim mirror w/homelink. Only has 6 miles on the odometer and financing is 1.9%. Seems like a good deal, but wanted some opinions.
  • 63corvette63corvette Member Posts: 51
    As previously posted, I paid $17,340 for my 2004 2.5, 5 speed Outback Wagon 7 months ago from Mc Curley Subaru in Pasco Washington, and so far, I am very happy with it and have had no problems.
    However, my previous post met with some skepticism about the amount paid. Well in today's paper, Mc Curley is offering the 2005 2.5 wagon for $18,751 (I can scan in the ad if anyone is still skeptical).
    I have no problem with the amount paid for the base model. However I do not understand the huge difference between the base model and the other models. I show these copied from above as reference:
    Other dealer cash prices that I found (before dealer admin fees, tax, registration) were:
    $31,644 in Carson City, NV
    $31,999 in Walnut Creek, CA
    $32,104 in Livermore, CA
    $32,280 in Napa, CA
    $32,394 (no homelink) in Fairfield, CA (but very good prices on 05 LL Bean wagons)

To me this means more than $15,000 for JUST the engine, sunroof, Climate Control, leather interior and auto trans (and possibly VDC?).
    Now as far as I know NO ONE has ever complained about the functioning of the standard heater, A/C controls. But EVERYONE has complained about the Climate Control.....so WHY should you pay MORE for something disfunctional? Someone please help me out here and tell me how an optional engine etc. can be worth more than 50% of the total price of the car to YOU.

Thanks
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    thanks for your post - it's been a while since someone posted some deals being offered.

I suspect some people are sceptics of such a good deal AFTER they paid more?

Anyway, I would agree with you that the extra bells and wistles are usually come with quite a mark up. The dealer in this case is likely luring in the buyer with a "strippie" knowing that many people will get emotional over a garage door opener or something bell or wistle they are used to having.
  • rarrietararrieta Member Posts: 3
    Can someone give me an idea of what a reasonable lease rate would be for a 3 year, 12,000 mile lease for a 2005 Outback XT Limited? Thanks!

(p.s. I live in Chicago)
  • cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    You are right! I have a 2001 base Forester w/auto. It handles beautifully on winding mountain roads. In the snow - I now shovel AFTER I do the errands.

There is no NEED for the other options, however, like most people I desire them.
    Wanting is a far more pleasurable experience than having.

Chas.
  • gylhomegylhome Member Posts: 6
    Just got a Champagne Gold 3.0L VDC wagon with the Popular equipment group (auto dimming mirror and perimeter security alarm), all weather mats, center armrest extension, sdaf (not sure what this is), for $30,923 - $1000 below invoice. I haven't seen any published dealer incentives, so I'm not sure why the dealer gave it to me below invoice. I'm not complaining, though. So far, I'm pretty happy with it, though, I wish I could put the baby seat in the center.
  • andrewdmandrewdm Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what the residual values are for the 2005 Outback and Legacy on a 3 year lease, 36000 miles (12k/yr)?
  • khallockkhallock Member Posts: 63
    Hi. I paid $30,233 for my 05 LLBean in August. I am in VT where Subaru has a huge market too. I think I got a good deal then. I think you should be able to do even better now. At least $29,500 or so!
  • eastcoastereastcoaster Member Posts: 1
    Received offer from the dealer at $22,695 for the 2.5i. From what i see, this is a pretty good price. Has anyone gotten this car at this price or lower? Not sure how much haggle room there might be left or if i should even bother. :shades:

Hoping this will be the perfect family awd vehicle for the NH area.
  • drevodrevo Member Posts: 2
    If the two cards are on the same amount, you are still limited to the $500/yr. Check out the Citi DriversEdge card. It is earning 5% on all purchases till September. Can earn up to $500.
  • andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    As I recall, my 2.5i was $22,250 back in December. I figured that to be $900 under invoice, plus I got 1.9% financing and a 24 month free maintenance booklet. I thought that was a very good deal and even drove 350 miles round trip to do it. I would guess demand and prices to be a bit more, being a bit farther north. :D

-Andy
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    check these out. remove pop-ups when you click this.

http://www.singer.sne1.com/
    More of these are popping up. Looks like they're in NH. $19.2k for starters for the Leg sedan MT5, not bad.

But fitzmall has one for less, and it's even an automatic. Wonder if it's a demo or has any miles on it.

-juice
    look at the 4k below MSRP on XT Ltd
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I think the fence is getting slippery. Rob M.
    Check out Future Models for the 2006 lineup. I think the packaging is less attractive, unless you wanted an H6 with cloth. But for the most part there will be fewer options.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i think your front license plate got to slippery :P
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I know, we're getting to the time of year when it's almost light here in the east when we sit down to chat! But what's more fun than ignoring yard work that could be done to chat with the Subaru Crew??? :)

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    For Immediate Release
    03-05-01

Um, welcome to the turn of the century. :D

BTW, I've been a member since 1/16/01.

DaveM
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    Bought mine.

Got two quotes, one for invoice (and pick my options at invoice - any car), one for $250 less - generally same terms. Very few options - NY emissions, auto-dim mirror, trunk tray, some cargo nets... No roof racks, all weather mats, armrest extenders...

Got the first guy to give me a price on 4 mounted snows - came in $100 less than Tire Rack (delivered) for identical choices - to close some of the gap. Wanted to do business with that dealer (because of service experiences with the other one). Makes it look like $100 under invoice to me.

$25749 + the tires/wheels @ $590 + actual registration costs (no fee)

Probably could have done a bit better, but acceptable. Kingston (my last buy)/Rhinebeck (this buy) NY area, where AWD is popular. Both sales experiences well handled.

Delivery in a week (I can't get back before that). Tim
    Good for you for looking at the big picture. In the long run you'll be happier, vs. having saved less than 1% and giving your business to a dealership you didn't like.

Congrats.

-juice
    I think so too.

... and, it only takes one bad service (wrong fix, something else broken, etc) to make up the money difference.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    And it's how I purchased my F-XT last May, using the IMBA VIP program.

-Brian
    from my post 495 (which, sorry, was in the wrong forum, but some Legacy/Outback forums are combined, some are not)...

After choosing service reputation over price in our buy, my wife took our current Subaru (96 Legacy LSi) in for its final service at the "wrong" dealer. They tried to do an induction service, which was just done 12K miles ago when we were having trouble, and a couple of other things that had been done as part of a long service saga. Service people said, "well, it's an every 20K interval, 12K is close enough..." (more, blah, blah, blah) She saved over $100 by calling them on the duplications (what a woman!).

I think we just closed the gap between the two price offers. It just reinforces the decision that price is not all. Tim
  • cuchulaincuchulain Member Posts: 1
    "Received offer from the dealer at $22,695 for the 2.5i. From what i see, this is a pretty good price. Has anyone gotten this car at this price or lower? Not sure how much haggle room there might be left or if i should even bother.

Hoping this will be the perfect family awd vehicle for the NH area"

Almost the exact price (including doc fee) as the best quote I've been offered here in CT on a 2.5i, automatic, with autodim/compasss mirror only option.
  • discodocdiscodoc Member Posts: 3
    Am in the market for a 2005 LL Bean (could do without the Bean part) but need 3.0 in leather due to hairy German Shepherd.

Getting quotes of $28,000 before negotiating which seems pretty decent. Anyone bought one recently?
    sounds decent.
    push another $500 if you can.
  • taurusstinkstaurusstinks Member Posts: 2
    Discodoc,

I am in the market for this car as well. Which dealer quoted you $28,000?

Thanks
  • kaushikgkaushikg Member Posts: 26
    Is the above price +TTL a good price. Got it from Fitzgerald's Subaru dealership at Rockville MD.

This includes
    Other Features:
    B5A All Weather Floor Mats
    K5F Center ARM Rest Ext
    K5H DIM MIR/Comp/Homelink
    M5B Side Cargo Nets
    M5C Rear Cargo Net
    MSV Wheel Locks

Additional $500 for (Includes Lifetime Loaner/Buyer-Protection Plan). Does all subaru dealerships provide loaner car for servincing. Is the extra $500 worth the money spent.

Thanks.
    I think you get 6 oil changes, 2 free for the first 3 years of ownership, as well. My wife got those, she's still benefitting from it.

I change my own oil and do my own service so for my car I would not get it, but for hers we did.

-juice
  • jensreidjensreid Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a Subaru OB wagon. The two options I'm looking at are:

1. 98 OB 53K for $10,900
    2. 03 OB 79K for $12,500

The 03 was a sales car w/ all highway miles and regular check ups 30 & 60, as well as oil change every 3.

Not much history on the 98- its being sold by a dealer so has had a through inspection.

The question is: Is it better to get an older car w/ lower mileage or a newer car w/ higher?

(Currently I drive a 93 Legacy Sedan w/ 140K...so high miles doesn't scare me as much.)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    1. what's the msrp, it has a lot of options. you should pay 3.5k below, then you are getting a good deal.

2. $500 will be better spent on subaru extended warranty (make sure it is subaru provided), which is very good compared to others.
    Prices look way too high.

my OB H4 2001 with only 34k miles, good condition, i have it on sale for only $13,000. Compared to this, the prices you were quoted are very high !
    Buy hers. LOL

Between those two I'd go for the 2003, because that's after the head gasket issues were resolved.

-juice
  • khallockkhallock Member Posts: 63
    My friend bought a 98 Outback last summer for $7000. It was a private party sale. But the guy she bought it from bought it from Anchor Subaru in RI. He said he sometimes will buy the car down there and drive it up to VT and resell it up here. Anyways, the price was cheap and the car was in excellent condition. So $10,900 for a 98 seems really high to me.
  • taurusstinkstaurusstinks Member Posts: 2
    Cuchulain,

I'm in CT as well and am shopping around for an Outback. The price of $22,695 seems pretty good. Is this for a manual or an automatic? Which dealer have you been working with?

Thanks!
  • sonnytsonnyt Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote of 18000 including tax/title/license for a Base automatic model Outback with compass/extender/all-weather floor mats and air filtration system. They will take my 99 Camry CE with 92000 miles. Does that sound like a good deal?