Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• buysubebuysube Member Posts: 3
    From New England & internet dealers, I have several e-mail offers at $24K plus TTL, bringing total to $25,5K. MSRP is $28K. Should I expect to go lower? Can I expect low financing offer with this quoted price (or possible lower price) ?
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    do you want pressure from dealers & from the family ? if you can handle both simultaneously, you are most welcome !

i decide the color, vehicle etc. with my wife at home, you can see the inventory at home thru online.
    when you go in person, you should be able to reduce 500 to 1000
  • jvhaasjvhaas Member Posts: 5
    Satin White, Limited package plus rear cargo net, center armrest extension, auto dimming mirror, wheel locks, and hood protector.

From factory to dealer invoice (they gladly gave me a copy)--MSRP 29,343; invoice 27,172, negotiated price: 25,000 + TTL.

Couple of things to share--The advertising fee, $275, is shown on the invoice price only, and not on the MSRP/sticker. The dealer pays it out of holdback, so if you're trying to determine how much the dealer paid plus a reasonable profit, this helps.

Also, there is currently $500 factory to dealer cash. My dealer told us this upfront without even being asked. I was not told this by any of the other dealers I spoke to.

Happy hunting! We pick it up tomorrow evening.

Oh, and re: having "the wife" with you--I agree, you need ONE lead negotiator. Husband and I discussed everything beforehand, and then before making our final offer in person, we took a walk and talked privately. You have to be very clear with a co-negotiator how it's going to go down. We didn't play the good cop-bad cop, but this is another possible advantage to using a co-negotiator. Actually, our deal was absolutely painless. Very happy.
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    I just purchased a 2006 Outback LL Bean H3.0 (Willow Green) at Fitzgerald in MD. Paid $200. below invoce. ($30,641 plus taxes, tags, $99. processing fee).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Did you get Nav? Just curious.

-juice
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    No, I did not get Navigation System. I just had a hood protector put on. I remember the paint on my 2001 LL Bean Outback was terrible; it seemed to chip easily. I wonder if the durability of the paints on the newer model years has improved any?
  • buysubebuysube Member Posts: 3
    Having trouble doing this...any tips? Certain things I should def. not be paying for? Getting nickled & dimed with PDI 85, convey fee 200, NE ad fee 586? Dest 575+50. Thanks for your help.
    don't pay convey, pdi etc. i tried 3 dealers. non charged any of these.
    th only 2 things: dest & processing fee 100$. that's it.

go to another dealer. where r u ?
  • bjubju Member Posts: 8
    Newb on the board here. I've begun looking at the OB 2.5i MT and am not sure what the best strategy is for getting the best price. I am an active member of IMBA which entitles me to Invoice pricing. Since the 2006 models are beginning to hit the showroom floor though, I imagine it's a great time to get a 2005 cheap, maybe below invoice. I just missed the $1,500 cash-back they were offering as it expired 7/31 (perhaps they'll extend it).

At this point in the model year, is Invoice the best I can do on a 2005? If that's the case, I should probably just buy the 2006 at invoice hassle-free with the IMBA ticket. Or, if below-invoice is possible, should I just try to find the 2005 vehicle of my choice and target the $3,000-$4,000 under MSRP I see people suggest on other threads here? Aside from a slight HP increase for 2006, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of changes for the 2006 model.

Thanks!
    I you're getting invoice straight up, I'd get an 06 for sure. You'll get better resale down the road.

If they renew the incentives, which seems likely, the 05 is a better value.

-juice
  • newsuenewsue Member Posts: 3
    I want to buy a Subaru Outback Ltd. but I'm not sure whether to get the 2.5 or LL Bean. Am I right in thinking the LL Bean was a little rough accelerating? I love the XT but the fuel costs on all but the 2.5 scare me. Does anyone have a dealer rec. in Atlanta? Can I get a good price in Atlanta? I was unhappy with Classic and thought they played too many games. I want to buy soon. Thank you.
  • sheepsubesheepsube Member Posts: 3
    July 30: 05 XT LTD manual trans; options: auto dimming, short throw, side cargo, wheel lock. MSRP: 32099. Price paid: 27856 (after 1k rebate) + TTL
    I think you've answered your own question. Gas mileage is a high priority and you didn't find the H6 any smoother, so go with the 2.5i. For 2006 hp is bumped up a bit, too.

Check fitzmall.com, they're in MD, then shop around and ask local dealer to beat the price. You could make a road trip up here, even.

-juice
  • prairiewintersprairiewinters Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 OB LTD during the promotion. It listed for $29141 and I paid $25087. I was pretty happy with that deal. I went with the regular engine as I too was concerned about gas mileage. I also heard that you can expect to pay more for all maintenance on the 6 cylinder because it is crammed in there and just hard to work around.
  • wam1wam1 Member Posts: 6
    dang

Where in VA can I get a good deal on an 2005 OUTBACK?
    I can' t get them below $26,300 OTD
    W/ leather, moonroof... I am sold if $25,000
    At a dot com at the end, they're in MD but close enough. White Flint or Gaithersburg.

-juice
  • nmruckusnmruckus Member Posts: 1
    '05 Outback Wagon, AT only option. $25870 incl del & dest. Final OTD $21000 not including Tax, license. Financing other than thru dealer, cc or bank.
    Knew of 1500 fact to cust, 500 fact to dealer.
    One dealer sold us on car, but not enough on lot to deal.
    Scoped out 2nd dealer in Albuquerque with lots of 05s on lot. Dealer has rep of being difficult so we were in contact w/ dealer in Santa Fe too.
    2nd dealer got to 21300 on one w/ about $500 MSRP extras that we were lukewarm about anyway. Actually agreed to 21300 for this Outback when Sales Mgr. comes in and says it will cost 200 extra for "doccing fees". We say no and walk. Drive to SF where dealer is true to his word. $21000 OTD, we pay tax and license.
    Did this last weekend in July. This site helped me in research, this message returns the favor.
    This is the second Subaru we've bought new. First is '92 Legacy wagon that my daughter will drive when she turns 16. She was 2 when we bought it.
  • chumchum Member Posts: 11
    I purchased mine through Pence in Richmond. They have a dedicated Internet department and did most of my negotiations through email. They were a couple hundred above Fitz but I got them to knock it off when I came in. This was right when the '06s were coming in so they were eager to move the '05s (purchased an OB XT Ltd -- see earlier post for price paid).

Chad
  • sidmansidman Member Posts: 10
    I wanted to thank the folks on this message board. We just bought our first Subaru. We were split on either the Legacy GT Limited Wagon Auto or the Outback XT Lmt Auto. We bought the latter at classic Subaru Orlando. The sales people were very nice. I think I got a great price:
    MSRP: $33,400 (don't have the number in front of me)
    Negotiated price + Rebate: $27,600. I think invoice was $30,000
    Price with Tax/Title/'dealer fee'-$30,300

The 'dealer fee' always bugs me, but from what I have read, it is a required advertising/marketing fee. It was $400. Even with that, I think the price is still good.

Thanks again to all on this board. Having posted number to bring in your 'manila folder' helps with the negotiating when you are already below invoice.

Atif
    Just tack it on to the price, look at the bottom line.

I still think you did well. Congrats.

-juice
    Where in VA and near?

Thank you!
  • unlucky2unlucky2 Member Posts: 3
    We placed our order and paid deposit for a 2005 OB limited last Saturday, agreed price $24870. The dealer said they did not stock but could manager to hold one from other sources, agreed delivery date the following Wednesday. The dealer called on Wednesday saying that there's some minor problem of the car, so that they did not take it, but would find another one and delivered on Thursday. They called again today saying that they could not find anything for us and asked to get our check back.

Is there anything that we could do with this dealer? They had cashed our check and signed a sales agreement..

Please advise.

Thanks
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Sounds like a bad buying experience but an honest dealer.

They stopped making 2005s so he tried to find your car from other dealer's stock. The dealer could have just accepted the problem car and passed it on to you and taken your money. Then the two of you would be battling to fix the minor problem.

I'd take my money back and be thankful.

Jim
  • nrynvtnrynvt Member Posts: 1
    If you can take a check back, take it, the 05 LTD seem to be running out almost everywhere. I had a similar experience, made a deposit of 2000$ on a OB 2.5i LTD Auto, for total price of 24785 (including doc fee ... etc) + Sales Tax/ Registration. The salesman was sure that we can get the car the next day ! But the manager said it will take a couple of days (after the deposit was made) before I could pick up the car. He called the next day and postponed his estimate of when I could pick up the car even further. He offered to return the deposit though and I took it back deciding to go with the regular (non-LTD) version. He did not give me any trouble about the return. I called other places and got a great deal from Clay Subaru - 23800 + Sales Tax/Registration for the same model. They managed to get a car from Connecticut, but it took them 2 days to do that. The sales person there said that just about no dealer has any more of the LTD left and the few ones that do, are holding on to them !
    Natick subaru is a decent dealer.

you can go to any other NE dealer(on subaru.com) & see who has it in stock. you locate the car for them. NE dealers can exchange vehicles any time among them. They'll try & charge transportation, don;t agree to it
    Some times it can be harder to deal on these because the original dealer keeps the hold back. That's pretty much industry standard. So they have 2% of the invoice price less haggling room ($400 on a $20k car).

-juice
  • astrophilastrophil Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased OB 2.5 XT Ltd. manual, which included some extras like the fancy rearview mirror, cargo nets, etc.

MSRP: 31800
    "Invoice": 29600
    Price paid (exclusive of TTL, but inclusive of rebate): 27100
  • barrakbarrak Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone purchased from North Park Subaru in San Antonio? They have an OB down there that I'd like to go look at, but I didn't much care for my initial impression of the internet salesman. I live about 3 hours north of there, so if people haven't had a good experience with them I may go to Austin instead. It's a longer drive, but if it will save me negotiating time and some money it's an easy decision.

Thanks in advance!
  • retro3retro3 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a 2005 OB VDC for $28,918. This included mats and the installation of the auto-dimming mirror. Add to this $1,445.90 for tax, $185 for the documentation fee and $65 for new plate.

Against my better judgment, I was talked into the Subaru extended warranty which brings the bumper to bumper up to 5 yr./60K. This put me out an additional $425. Not sure if this will pan out but it did seem a fair price for the coverage.

Overall a reasonable experience, nice people. I would recommend them.

As this is my first Subaru (coming from 4 minivans in a row), I appreciate all the info on the boards that helped me with my decision making process.

Thanks
  • tommiesatellittommiesatellit Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 2005 Outback 2.5i with manual transmission, no options for $21,500 in Topeka KS. The dealer there was very knowledgable and did not put any pressure on us.

I am 6' 4" and have size 13 shoes but have no problem getting comfortable in this car. Some taller people have reported that it is too cramped. It is just fine for me. I tested Foresters too. They were very comfortable, maybe slightly better for me but not as comfy for my family. So, the Outback was clearly the way to go for us. With a Forester I could have had slightly more room for my big body but would have had more complaining from the wife and kids about everything else. Thus the Outback was a no-brainer. The power seat really lets you dial into a comfortable position. I sat in the car for over two hours and then drove home for about an hour and I am very happy.
  • dbell1dbell1 Member Posts: 40
    and he promises "the same VIP Pricing that is offered to Subaru Employees and suppliers". I'd get invoice plus rebates on the 2005. Should bring the cost down to what I'd like to pay.

There are a few base 2005 Outbacks in stock that would cost $22.6K, down from $26.6. Of course, I could go all out and get the LLBean for $28.9K, instead of $33.5. ;)

I'm almost sold on the Ford Freestyle, but it's more vehicle than I need and it's the first model year. I saw a 2003 Limited Outback at the dealer when I parked the Freestyle and loved it.

Plus, the Outback has more base options than the Freestyle (it's annoying having to pay extra for Side Air and AWD and have the dealers act as though I don't need them). Also, my German Shepherd can't get into the Freestyle, but I think she'd be able to get into the Outback.

I'll post back with what happens - we're going there tomorrow..
  • mmullinmmullin Member Posts: 10
    If you are in the Portland, Oregon area I can recommend contacting their internet salesperson. I started looking at 2005 Outbacks last spring but really wasn't ready to part with my 2000 OB. With summer came the $1500 cash back offer so I started looking around and came up with his name and started communicating with him by e-mail. I'm glad I did. Decided to wait for the 2006 Outbacks and took a trip to Carr. Wasn't planning to buy, just test drive, etc. Didn't even take the title and extra keys. He was true to his word about price which was very good. No pressure at all. Very fair offer for my 2000 and I'm home (2 hours away) with a beautiful new Outback. Easiest car buying experience I've had. The worst part was giving up my 2000. The best part was dealing with Carr's internet salesperson. Highly recommended!
  • opnwidopnwid Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I live with my wife and 2 yr. old daughter in Boston, MA Metrowest area. I'm considering a switch from Nissan Pathfinder to a used Outback Wagon with up to $25K miles. Main goals are safety, saving on gas, and reliable winter driving.
    1. So many models of Outback... what are major differences?
    2. What is mileage in city like?
    3. Good dealers?

Thanks.
  • unlucky2unlucky2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all subies' advices, we could mange to get a 2005 OB Ltd (and the color that we like) with Singer Subaru in NH last week at 24,500 plus tax and fees, excellect service, no hard sell. The salesperson who served us was Paul, highly recomended. They even provided vehicle delivery service to Boston downtown area without extra charge.
    Look for an 02-04 Outback, maybe with a little warranty left.

Base models should be fine, AWD and ABS are standard.

Get the OB Limited if you want the leather and dual moonroof, plus you get a 6CD and heated seats.

Then you have the H6 models, the LL Bean and the VDC. Those cost a bit more, though, and won't be quite as fuel efficient as the base/limited models.

Shop around a little and then let us know what you find out there. It's often hard to find a low-mile Subie because we tend to hold on to them fairly long.

-juice
  • opnwidopnwid Member Posts: 2
    Why '02-'04? We found an '01. Its got a 2.0ltr, PWR door/window, front/side airbags, Rear defog/wiper, not sure what else yet. Is there something wrong or less desirable about '01s???

-alan
    Can't be a 2.0l. They had a 2.2l model in 1995, but since 1996 it's been 2.5l or bigger.

By '02 the head gasket issue was resolved. It's OK, that '01 would be covered for 8/100 by the warranty Subaru extended as long as they added the coolant conditioner. Call 800-SUBARU3 with the VIN to check if that was performed on the car and if it's covered.

If so you're fine. If not I'd look for an '02 or later.

-juice
    Paid $26000 OTD

Question: the car came w/ facory roof racks.
    I need kayak racks for the car....what are better, Subaru kayak stackers or
    yakima or thule adapters?

thanks
  • turbogalturbogal Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a preowned 2004 Forester XT from North Park Subaru. It saved me about $6K over buying a new '05 model, but I was not able to negotiate much below the sticker price.

I worked with a guy named Jerry -- I think he was honest and straight forward with me.

One of the Austin internet salesmen was nice and very responsive, but his prices were about the same or slightly more than North Park, so it wasn't worth the drive for me. However, coworkers have experienced the opposite; they were able to get better deals in Austin an some of the smaller TX towns. If you need any other info, please let me know.
  • sammi2sammi2 Member Posts: 1
    Am thinking of purchasing a used (placed into service in July 2004) 2005 Subaru Outback (base model) wagon. It has 22,000 miles and was used as a rental in Connecticut. I'm purchasing it at a dealership in Ohio. I am able to purchase it for $18,600. It has a lot of miles for a car that's been in service less than a year; however, the price seems decent. Is it? Your thoughts?

Also, it's white and I've never considered a white car before. Is it hard to keep clean? Other thoughts on color?

Regarding the Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty - how much room for negotiation is there? Is there such a thing as "dealer cost"? How does one find out?

Have enjoyed and learned a great deal from the exchange of information on this exchange.
    Seems good, he new ones are in the low 20s.

People usually pay $700-1500 for a warranty depending upon the length of the term and the deductible.

Keep in mind you get full roadside assistance with Subaru Gold, that made it a good value for us.

-juice
    I saw someone paid $425 for extended warranty classic plan on this site.
    When my dealer said theirs was $525, I mentioned I had seen it on here for $425, they said they could do that.
    So there is room for negotiation .
    Found a Base Outback tonight at my local, family owned dealer. It's a 2001, Green with cream trim, looks to be the base, but has the security system and new tires. Miles are 71K. Squeak in brakes, ding in door, small rip in passenger side door cloth. Carfax is clean and interior is in good shape except for the rip. The dealer is going to fix the brakes and the rip. Priced at $11.8K, I was quoted $10.8K. Drove like a dream. I'm looking to replace my 2001 Jeep with a more gas efficient vehicle that fits my dad and my dog. Both were comfy in the Subie. I fell in love with the Forester, but it won't work for the family.

They did have a 2002 Limited with 45K miles for $15K. I'm tempted to get that instead. Is it a better deal?

Advice please and thank you? I'd like to get it on Saturday (when the works done). :)
    Is a better deal, IMO. You'd pay almost 50% more for a little extra equipment a something a year newer. It's worth 20% more, not 50%.

-juice
    Thanks for the reply. My dad is worried about the mileage. The Jeep only has 30K miles on it, but is a gas hog and isn't comfortable for the family. He's convinced that trading something with 30K miles for something with 70K miles is stupid. I see some of the logic, but I also know that the Subaru will last me a LOT longer than the Jeep.

I did talk to the salesman this morning - he's going to check the lot and let me know best prices on his other Outbacks, so the 2002 or 2003 models may come down in price.

They were MOBBED last night when I went there - 2 people were in a bidding war
    Don't put him in that situation, the trade-in value on the Jeep will already be bad enough.

-juice
    Jeep trade in value is $8200. :cry: Some teenager will be happy with it, I'm sure, I just don't want the hassle of trying to sell on my own. If my son was a little older, I'd keep it for him, but paying for 2 cars makes no sense in a 1 driver household, when both are fine for snow, rain, etc.

The price on the 2002 with 35K miles is 15K. Warranty coming with it is 2 years, 24K miles. They said they did about $500 worth of work to the brakes.

If I bought the extended warranty on the 2001, it would be $800 for 2 years. It's guaranteed for 30 days, 1,000 miles.

The bidding war was on a Forester. One man was coming in with a deposit and already had the paperwork filled out, the lady was sitting in a chair ready to take it in case he didn't show. It was pretty funny!

Thanks again for the fast reply. I'm lucky to have found these forums! :shades:
  • dnielsendnielsen Member Posts: 1
    Which dealership did you go to? I'm loooking for the same vehicle (except auto...) and I live in DC. Any troubles or complaints on the car yet?
    The squeal I heard was from the rear brakes - they replaced them. :shades: I looked at the 2002 again today, but you could tell the previous owners had children - the back seat was trashed - broken cup holders and stains.

Bought the extended 2 year, bumper to bumper Classic Warranty for $1000. Paid cash on it so I didn't have to add it over the life of the loan.

Juice - thanks again for your help - I was almost tempted to go up a model year, but even the dealer said that the 2001 was the better deal. Plus, I financed for 4 years instead of 5 (or even 6 for a new vehicle). It saved a ton! Payments are only $20 more per month than the Jeep was and I'll save triple that in gas and insurance.