Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Share your purchase experience here!

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    listed in the local paper this last weekend. Ad was from the largest dealer in the Portland area. The MSRP was $25,015. Deal was for two Baja's and was only good through 2pm on Saturday. I'm not interested in the Baja. Still... that's a screaming deal. $8000 off MSRP.
  • baja7baja7 Member Posts: 14
    Balboa Subaru, San Diego, was cleaning house on their 03 Yellow Baja's for 17,999, auto or stick. Wound up buying one: auto,splash guards for $17,999+$154 installed bed extender, including 24 month interest-free financing. No hassle, no switch and bait, good trade in price and no extras from the finance people. Plus they have a wonderful Warranty Administrator/Customer relations person that can get things done for you.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Those prices are unreal. Almost makes a non-shopper consider one.

-juice
  • yerfyerf Member Posts: 7
    ...or makes others wish they waited. I would have saved $5k. =-)
  • ltwalkrltwalkr Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at 2003 Baja Sport. What experiences can you share, good and bad? Is it worth the extra $ to wait for a 2004 Baja Sport?
    Is it worth extra $ to get turbo?
    The 2004 is an inch higher, that's the main change, besides color schemes.

If you're not getting the turbo, I'd take the $2000 incentive on the 2003s, that's a better deal.

-juice
  • hijinks2hijinks2 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering which Portland Dealer had $16,995 price listed for the 2003 Baja?
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Carr Subaru in Beaverton. Ad was Friday, August 1, 2003 and was good until Sat. Aug. 2 at 2pm.
  • arleyparleyp Member Posts: 1
    new to all this folks- am looking at a 2003 sport with A/T,,moonroof deflector,soft tonneau,and 'active lifestyle pkg #1' (ie: speaker upgrade,tweeter/subwoofer,bed extender,and splash guards).5500 miles. listed at $15995.sticker says $23815. Dealer has loaned it to me for the past 2 days and it seems to meet my needs.Silver color.Does this seem like a fair price?The previous owner said he only got rid of it 'cause he had to haul grandkids around.Should I look out for anything?will the changes in '05 subarus make this an orphan?
    Price is amazing. Cheapest I ever saw for a new one was $18k, even then with 5500 miles that's a hefty discount. If you like it, go for it.

-juice
  • moraisinsmoraisins Member Posts: 9
    how much would any of you buy a 2004 automatic baja for? I'm trying to haggle a deal with the dealers and get it down to $20800 at the most. Is this reasonable? There is currently a $1000 rebate I'm trying to take advatage of.

Juice - are you there? Do you think anything under $21,000 is a good price for a 2004 baja?

thanks!
    moraisins
    Aim for $1000 under invoice, use Edmunds' tools to figure out what that is with the options on the car.

They get a 2% holdback, but the dealer's gotta eat. Work a good deal and establish a good working relationship with the dealer. I think in the long run that'll really pay off.

Good luck.

-juice
  • moraisinsmoraisins Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Juice! I'm glad you read this forum!

Yeah, what is happening is that they are quoting me at $20,687, but the car is in Ontario, CA which means it needs to be 'specially' shipped for an additional $350. This makes it about $21,037 total with that extra shipping cost.

Edmunds says my car with my options as invoice is $21,451. I"m not sure if that 'extra' shipping fee is really needed, but they keep telling me they can't drop it - I'm not sure if I can totally believe that, but i"m waiting to hear from another dealer to see if they can waive that fee. If that fee is a must, I was hoping to pay $20800 which would be invoice cost of $20450(including my options) + $350 shipping.

I really appreciate your advice - thanks!!

moraisins
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Thursday Chats!

Thursdays are a double header chat night now. First up from 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET we have the brand new Saab Enthusiast Chat. Stop in to meet and greet fellow Saab enthusiasts and your fellow Town Hall denizens and take your favorite automotive topics LIVE in our chat room.

Saab Chat Room

Then immediately following...

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. The chat room opens about 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, so stop on in, even if it's just to say Hello! All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too. Come on in and get to know some of your fellow Town Hallies better! See you there...

Subaru Crew Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too.

Hey Bob, you forgot to mention FOOD! LOL

DaveM
  • skim1114skim1114 Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04 sitting in my drive way. The dealer let me take it home...doomsday. I love the drive, the turbo is great, but I think I could deal without it. Does anyone know the difference between the 03/03/05? I'd like to get the cost down a little...This one is :

04 turbo manual
    2,000 miles (demo model)
    leather interior
    moon roof,
    all the other standard stuff
    I haven't even negotiated, but they told me they could do 23,000. I think this is too high, but like I said I haven't even tried to do better yet, I just want to see what my options might be as far as other used bajas.

Thanks
    Stacy
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    OK... sometimes FOOD comes up too! :)

As you can see, we have a great group of chatters and we have a good time each week. Hey, THIS it must be our St Patrick's Day party version of the chat!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    The 03 had a single model that came loaded up, I believe leather was standard.

In 04 they split the line and had a Sport (cloth, no turbo) and the Turbo (leather, turbo). They also got a suspension lift, so they sit taller.

If you like sitting high, go for an 04 or later. But I would not get a turbo at all if you don't think you want the extra power because you'll be using more fuel and premium fuel at that.

-juice
  • opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    Is the ride effected by the ride height difference?

What is the most comparabkle vehicle to the Baja? rides like car, 4 doors, truck utility?

Mark
    I have not driven one. Believe it or not! LOL

Right now it might be the only truly compact Crew Cab on the market. There isn't anything like it, to be honest.

4 cylinder turbo optional car-based crew cab pickup?

-juice
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    I never see Bajas on the road here in AZ, and the incentives & rebates never are as good as they are on Foresters for example.

But if Subaru needs to move the poor-selling Baja, why aren't there better incentives? If I could get one below invoice I'd think about it. Getting a Forester $2k below invoice is easy with current rebates.
    They had incentives in the first year, but then they just lowered the sticker price dramatically instead.

The turbo model costs about what the old base model was. The Sport is much cheaper now.

So in the end it all works out about the same.

-juice
  • opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    please post prices as i am looking to buy this weekend, non turbo. I want to verify what I should be paying the Wash DC area.

Thanks

Mark
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    we have incentives here in central CA. $1000 for the sport, $500 for the turbo. Purchase before March 31. Go to subaru.com and "special offers" for your zip code.

John
    Just check out fitzmall.com.

Search for Subaru Baja, you can even sort by Internet Price.

-juice
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    > The 03 had a single model that came loaded up, I believe leather was standard.

No, I'm pretty certain in 03 there were two models as well -- Sport & Base. With Sport being the cheaper one. The main difference I think was the seat upgrade. The research section at cars.com lists the specs.
  • chip5chip5 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a black '04 Turbo MT with 2,500 miles for $20,000. It was a factory demo and is in perfect shape. Not a nick, scratch, dent, or ding on it.

I traded in a '96 Dodge Avenger 4-cyl, and didn't realize what a difference the turbo would make. It hasn't quite been a week, but I couldn't be happier with it.

I've got about 10,000 miles to decide if I want to pick up the dealer's offer of a 3rd party extended warranty for about $1,900. My fear is that anything that may break in the next 7 years will probably not be on the list of covered parts.

Anyone have experience with a broken Baja, or know what's likely to give out in the first 7 years?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I've got about 10,000 miles to decide if I want to pick up the dealer's offer of a 3rd party extended warranty for about $1,900. My fear is that anything that may break in the next 7 years will probably not be on the list of covered parts.

You can buy the Subaru Added Security new car extended warranty up until 3 years / 36k miles from initial in-service date.

You should be able to get the 7 yr / 100k mile bumper to bumper Gold Plus warranty for a lot less than $1900. :)

DaveM
  • chip5chip5 Member Posts: 5
    This vehicle went into service in Nov. 03, so I've got about a year & 4 months left on the 3-year warranty. The warranty the dealer offered me looks like it's with a company called Vehicle Protection Plus L.L.C., not Subaru.

They offer different levels of coverage
    -Basic 'powertrain' coverage
    -Classic coverage
    -Superior coverage
    -Extreme coverage
    -Extreme Turbo Wrap coverage (which oddly enough doesn't include the turbo)

Then there's a section with excluded parts which include, but are not limited to:
    Battery, shocks, clutch assembly, friction clutch disc & pressure plate, seatbelts & airbags, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, several emmission components, frame and structural body parts, paint, metal panels, body sheet metal....

And if I don't maintain the vehicle according to manufacturer's specifications the contract is invalid. So if I'm late with an oil change, or tire rotation they may not pay for an failed air conditioner compressor.

I don't know if they'd do that or not, but the clause is in the contract.

What is the Gold Plus warranty, and how much less than $1,900 is it?

-Chip
    Or even less, I think the retail markup is something like 40%. Ask them to see their cost book and offer then $100 over their true cost for the Gold warranty.

Keep something in mind - an aftermarket warranty is not a warranty at all, it is repair "insurance", full of disclaimers. These companies go out of business all the time, and have no vested interest in keeping your car reliable (Subaru does).

I have the Subaru Gold, 7/100, you also get free roadside assistance and mine has no deductible.

-juice
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    I live in SoCal and I REALLY like the Baja.......my husband and I were just wondering about dealerships, and what kind of service you all get? There are very many dealerships around so we are a bit wary. ">
    Actually, having many around you gives you leverage, and you can always change if you're not happy.

Generally dealers are hit or miss, but SoA is pretty good about it. 800-SUBARU3 in case you have issues, but having a choice in dealers is a big plus.

-juice
  • acceleratoraccelerator Member Posts: 136
    I'm glad to see that the Baja will be around for 2006. Here in Dallas, TX, there doesn't seem to be that many Baja's running around (I think I see more Lamborghini's running around actually).

Question 1) When will the dealerships start expecting to get in the 2006 models (or better yet, when will Subaru start trying to clear out their 2005's? But then again, the dealerships here don't have that many to begin with.

Question 2) Any significant changes in store for 2006 model (for example, reading these forums, I learned that the 2004's sat 1inch higher than the 2003)?

Thanks
    -Accelerator (can you tell which model I want?) :P
    Turbo? :D

-juice
  • seabushseabush Member Posts: 68
    My local dealer is advertising an automatic 2005 Subaru Baja Baja Turbo for $22,795. Installed options include:

FLOOR MATS ALL WEATHER
    AUTO-DIMMING MIRROR/COMPASS
    BED EXTENDER
    CARGO NET BED

The Invoice Price $24,195. The MSRP is $26,209. You think I can get it lower than $22,795?
    There's not a whole lot of margin there for them to deal with. I think the price is fair.

-juice
  • armytimarmytim Member Posts: 7
    Looking at a '04 Turbo with 53000 miles, automatic, no leather, alloy wheels--16,900 :confuse: good deal?? please let me know... Really like the car (other than mpg :cry: ) beautiful color White Frost pearl with Silverstone-- looks GREAT -- hopefully you all will tell me it's a AWESOME deal and I'm stupid if I haven't bought it already!!!

look forward to your responses... :shades:

---Sarge
    That's almost new, wow, great price. Miles are high but they MUST be highway miles if they piled on 53k in a year or so.

Jump on it.

Shoot, I'm tempted and I wasn't really shopping for a Baja!

-juice
  • armytimarmytim Member Posts: 7
    Ended up getting it-- Very happy with it so far-- runs great-- 60k service about 325 here at the dealer-- I live on post and post can do it for about 25% less... not too bad-- drove it hom (280 miles) on pass and got 23 mpg one way, 21 the other so not too shabby there-- so far averaging 18 around town-- will keep you all posted!! So far I am a happy camper!!! :D:D

Sarge
    Cool, congrats. Also join the Subaru Crew threads under Owners Clubs. Plus we have a live chat every Thursday night.

-juice
  • acceleratoraccelerator Member Posts: 136
    Anyone have the inside scoop for the incentives for 2006? The current promotions end 01/03/2006 (they've been extedned once here in Texas).

I read post #38 "for a automatic 2005 Subaru Baja Baja Turbo for $22,795 (Installed options include: FLOOR MATS, ALL WEATHER AUTO-DIMMING MIRROR/COMPASS, BED EXTENDER,
    CARGO NET BED). The Invoice Price $24,195. The MSRP is $26,209. You think I can get it lower than $22,795?" Call me dumb, can you actually get a Baja Turbo equipped that way for under $22,800? That configuration is exactly the way I want mine equipped! I'm hoping my local dealer would be interested in dealing since they have had the same Baja's on the lot now for over two months (sport and Turbo models).

I'd also be interested in knowing what you guys (and gals) thought about the Pros and Cons of normal seats vs leather seating (please give explanations of your replies, please). I will have a dog with me occassionally.

Thanks,

-Accelerator
This discussion has been closed.